Zg Session 93

Winter 41
Aleith|DM: It's already after sunset the next day by the time the Impossible gets close the Flint. Just a few miles back you passed the remnants of Flint's garrison fleet. A few survivors survive on their crippled ships, and can speak of how they must have been betrayed. Flint's fleet followed the intelligence the governor shared, and they sailed into a field of submerged mines (called 'torpedoes'), which exploded and hulled many vessels.
Aleith|DM: The Danorans knew exactly where they’d be, and with many ships out of commission, the Risuri forces were easy pickings. The attackers didn’t even take prisoners for ransom, or claim ships as salvage, instead rushing ahead and leaving a thousand men to die. The king has already called for reinforcements from Shale, so they can help the survivors, but they won't get to Flint for another day.
Aodhan: "It sounds like the city is going to be under a naval siege. From what the survivors saw, there's several dozen ships in the fleet, with about 40 of them at least as large as the Impossible, and all of those more heavily armed."
Harkover: "And nine of them sounded like they could take on the Coaltongue in the harbour."
Zane scowls murderously. "If that's how they want to play it, so be it. We'll go ashore elsewhere and infiltrate Flint by land." A small, unpleasant smile. "I still remember where Lorcan Kell's fortresses were kept, and one of them had its own cannons."
Phyllis: "We don't have the firepower to win a direct confrontation, in other words?"
Gerald: "Engaging them directly in a naval controntation would be stupid as hell, at least."
Aodhan: "Not until the fleet from Shale arrives, and I'm not sure that will be fast enough to stop whatever Stanfield is plotting."
Gerald: "Should go in and gut Stanfield, then find whoever's ub charge of their invasion fleet and put a bullet in them."
Zane: "I wonder if the Jierres themselves will make an appearance…"
Gerald: "One can hope."
Chandrasekhar: "You would like that, wouldn't you, Mr. Bieito?"
Zane: "Mmm."
Phyllis: "We -did- obtain the means to scry on them, bypassing their defenses. A secret phrase."
Phyllis: "… or that may just be Kasvarina, Nicodemus, and Han."
Harkover: "From your report, it sounded like that works specifically on the rings of the three founders, yes. Other officers need the words on their own ring. However, you might still be able to bypass their ring's protections with your arcane knowledge…"
Zane sits down and sketches out a super rough map of Flint. "So, are we thinking the Danoran ships are in Flint Bay?"
Phyllis shrugs. "Shall I give it a shot? If our plan is a surgical strike against Harkover, it would help to know where he is."
Phyllis: "Stanfield."
Phyllis: "Not Harkover."
Phyllis: "It's been a very long day."
[OOC] Aleith|DM: we can fix it in post
Ernst: "With how things have been going, I doubt we're going to get a vacation anytime soon."
Aodhan: "We're about an hour out, now's a good time to try."
Gerald: "That'd be my guess, Zane."
Zane: "Hmmm…"
Phyllis: "I'll need a scroll, I don't have anything sufficiently powerful in my spellbook."
Chandrasekhar: "We have most of the legitimate authority in Lanjyr in one room, I'm sure we can scare up a scroll."
Zane: "I think… our best shot is to come in on the opposite side of the Ayers. Put us ashore to the east of Alchemy Row. We've got our wagon, and we know the streets. What we don't know is where Stansfield and his ritual are. Phyllis, think you can handle a scry attempt on him after the Jierres?"
Phyllis: "I was intending to scry Stanfield first. He's the more immediate danger, yes? We only have an hour and it takes roughly that to cast."
Phyllis: "We get one. We make it count."
Zane nods.
Phyllis goes off to requisition the appropriate things: mainly a scroll of Observe Creature. Then she gets to casting.
Phyllis spends an hour doing goddess-knows-what to the scroll. "Flint City Governor Roland Stanfield."
Phyllis rolled d20+38 and got 3 ( Total: 41.0 )
Aleith|DM: As soon as you start the ritual you find that wherever Stanfield is, he's protected by a Forbiddance ritual.
Phyllis doesn't spend a half hour, apparently. "He's somewhere that's under even greater protection than the Obscurati's rings. That's a some-where-, though. Shall I attempt one of the Jierres next?"
Phyllis: "Does Lya actually have the most tactical value here, or is there someone else?"
Zane growls. "Bastard… Yeah, as much as I want to try and find Lya, I believe her father is more important if he's taken the field."
Phyllis: "Sovereign Han Jierre."
Phyllis rolled d20+38 and got 4 ( Total: 42.0 )
Aleith|DM: As you start that ritual, you find that wherever Han is, he too is shielded by a Forbiddance ritual.
Phyllis rolls her eyes. "Probably in the same spot as Stanfield. Next on the list?"
Phyllis: "Should I even bother with Nicodemus, or…"
Phyllis: "Danoran Minister of Outsiders, Lya Jierre."
Phyllis rolled d20+38 and got 18 ( Total: 56.0 )
Aleith|DM: You handily bypass the protection of her Obscurati officer's ring. She's on the deck of a ship.
Phyllis: "Finally." She probably has about 30 seconds to look around, possibly identify which one, where it is in relation to the others if it's in the fleet.
Aleith|DM: She's mostly looking towards the Governor's Island nearby to the east. The fortress on the island is difficult to make out from this distance, but you can see a huge forcefield protecting the entirety of the fortress.
Aleith|DM: Nearby float two other ships, both very large. One reads Inventum Nobilis and has 3 turrets at the front (and 3 at the boack) like the one Lya is on, and the other one with 2 turrets fore and aft reads Puer Aestatis.
Aleith|DM: Out in the harbour you can see the lights of various ships patrolling around, though the coverage is light due to the size of it. There's a couple dozen sets of lights around the middle of the bay, and a dozen sets of lights evenly spaced along the mouth of the bay. A few more large sets of lights seem to be on the northern end of the Governor's island.
Aleith|DM: Lya stands quietly as the sailors and soldiers around her work. She occasionally stares out at the bay, but otherwise keeps her attention on the fortress on the island. She doesn't seem to notice the sensor.
Phyllis: "Lya's on a ship near the Governor's Island, which is protected by a blatantly obvious forcefield and -probably- layered with any number of protective rituals, namely Forbiddance. Odds are, that's where the other two are. She's on a boat between two others named the inventum Nobilis and the Puer Aestatis."
Gerald: "Probably yeah."
Phyllis: "Lots of lights around the bay, as well. Wayfarer's Lanterns, probably?"
Zane: "Maybe."
Aleith|DM: The lights slowly move.
Chandrasekhar: "Perfect."
Aleith|DM: Through the forcefield, at the top of the keep in the center, you see a bright light from there. Even through the forcefield, you can tell that one is slowly changing colours.
Zane: "Alright, so. The beach east of Alchemy Row. Through Parity Lake and the Nettles, straight to Central. Stop off at RHC HQ, and then its a straight shot to Stansfields mansion."
Aleith|DM: The scrying sensor winks out.
Phyllis rubs her face with her hands, then slaps herself awake more slightly. "Not looking forward to getting through that forcefield."
Zane: "I have faith in you, Ursinho."
Aleith|DM: You have a feeling it would take a substantial amount of firepower.
Phyllis gives Zane a baleful side-eyed glare. "I'm loathe to suggest that we use cannons, or that I wouldn't be up to snuff, but given the scale of that thing…"
Zane shrugs. "Then we will get some cannons. I didn't mean you had to tear it apart with your own two mighty hands, just that you would be the one with the best idea of how to do it."
Zane: "Though doing it with your own two mighty hands would make for a more exciting after-action report."
Aleith|DM: The Impossible takes it slowly, with the lights out, as it circles wide around the mouth of the bay and the Ayres, and anchors nearby the beach between Parity Lake and the Cloudwood districts. Boats row you, the King, Harkover, Dame Jillian, Asrabey, and Lauren Cyneburg around 9:30 PM.
Chandrasekhar: "I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see that happen, let's be honest."
Zane: "I suppose there is no way I can persuade the three of you to stay behind and stay safe?" He looks at Aodhan, Harkover, and Dame Jillian.
Gerald: "There's a small part of me that thinks it would be pretty hysterical if we had Harkover go full on dragon mode and start burning boats, but."
Aodhan: "I'm not about to sit out the start of a war, especially with the possibility of the fate of the world hanging in the balance."
Chandrasekhar: "Would -you- stay behind where it's safe?" He laughs.
Harkover: "And I'll go where my king does."
Zane: "Of course I would."
Zane lies like butter wouldn't melt in his mouth.
Dame Jillian looks at the rest of you. "I'm willing to help out in the city if you need me to. The seven of you should be able to handle anything the Danorans can throw at you if yesterday was any indication."
Zane thinks. "Actually… I think we can use you, and keep you off of the front lines."
Zane: "Lorcan Kell had a stronghold in the Nettles called Machete Hill. It was a pretty solid defensive formation… and more importantly it had its own cannons."
Aleith|DM: As you make your way into the city, you find out various things from the townsfolk.
Gerald: "Ugh breaching that was a pain in the ass."
Zane smiles faintly. "Yeah, but damned if it wasn't super satisfying taking his toys away and burning down his house."
Gerald: "For sure."
Aleith|DM: For example, Stanfield followed standard procedures when the Danoran fleet showed up: evacuating all non-essential personnel from his mansion, then destroying the bridge to the mainland. Shortly thereafter
Aleith|DM: some people spotted a tarp over the central keep’s roof being pulled away revealing something like a lighthouse. Then a magical barrier that is translucent like burnt glass surrounded the fortress, rising up like a dome several hundred feet high.
Gerald‘ rubs at his face.
Aleith|DM: No one has seen birds flying to the top of Cauldron Hill, but somehow they’re appearing: thousands of ravens perched in trees, growing in number hour by hour. The district mayor’s mansion, now controlled by Captain Dale, has launched flares as if to call for help, but no one who has gone up has returned.
Aleith|DM: Sea life has begun beaching itself around Flint harbor, and the shores are covered with seagulls gorging on dead fish.
Aleith|DM: The Danoran Fleet consists of three battleships and six grand steam frigates guarding targets of value, a dozen steam frigates in a line blockading the harbor entrance, two dozen medium steam warships on patrol in the central harbor, and a handful of support vessels.
Phyllis looks sorely … 'unimpressed' isn't the right word. Unsurprised? Still, she has the presence of mind to add: "An old, dead skyseer said the Cloudwood would be safe in such an event like this. Go and spread the word."
Gerald: "Wonder what's up with the hill? That's kinda spooky."
Zane: "Shit. OK. Garret and the royal party to get the cannons from Machete Hill, meanwhile we go to Cauldron Hill, save Dale, and and deal with that goddamned place for the third time. Then we book it down into Central, stop by HQ, and get to the mansion just in time for the Machete Hill cannons to open fire."
Aleith|DM: Dame Jillian volunteers to check on Cauldron Hill, while Asrabey says he will head to the Cloudwood to find Gale and her allies. Lauryn Cyneburg suggests she can head to Battallion Academy, to gather soldiers and start teleporting them (and their cannons) into positions around the city so they can fire upon the fleet. She'll help move the cannons from that fortresss in the Nettles if you like.
Zane nods. "All that works. But fuck the fleet, position them to open fire on Stansfields manor first. Once that barrier is down, then you can sink the fleet."
Zane: "With the obvious caveat that I dont actually have the authority to give any of you any orders so you can tell me to go screw and do whatever you want anyway."
Zane shrugs.
Phyllis nods. "That would be appreciated. All of you." She turns to Zane. "I rather think they should, we also have a city and civilianry to protect. If they fire at the manor first, that reveals their positions."
Lauryn: "Alright. I'll look for positions to get set them up in after getting them into position for the manor."
Zane: "Firing at anybody will reveal their positions. My line of thought is if we can get into the manor and break Stansfields ritual, then the Danorans are left hanging and the Obscurati plan is scrapped. At which point they should try to break and run."
Zane: "Or they try to come ashore, and we pound them with cannons the whole way."
Chandrasekhar looks like he's trying to poke holes in Zane's tactics just for the sake of being a devil's advocate and is failing.
Zane: "In a perfect world, I'd sink those bastards where they float, but I don't want them mucking up the harbor with wreckage."
Lauryn: "I'll spread them out but get them to focus fire on the southeast corner."
Phyllis: "… Fine."
Zane spreads his hands. "I'm open to other plans, this one just seems the most efficient one so far."
Gerald: "Seems sounds enough to me, it'll take a while to set up all those canons anyway."
Phyllis: "No, I think you're right, is all."
Zane: "Alright then. Hopefully I haven't just planned everyones asses right into a sling. Lets go, folks!"
Chandrasekhar: "I mean, if you have, you'll be there too and we'll fight our way out." He shrugs.
Zane: "That is the hope, yeah."
Aleith|DM: As you make it up Cauldron Hill, the couple of flares that are sent up as you travelled here lead you in the direction of Macbannin's ruined manor.
Zane: "All things considered, I'm not sure if that makes for a better option than hiding in some rocks somewhere…"
Aleith|DM: As you get to the manor, you find a couple of Dale's men standing around, flare guns in hand. They seem a bit out of it.
Gerald: "Hey! What's the deal?"
Phyllis: "Was this a trap?"
Commando: "Oh. It's the constables! We've hiding out in the basement. The spirits have flooded out of the mountain! You've got to help us!"
Zane: "That is the plan. Dale still alive?"
Commando: "Yeah, he's with the others."
Zane: "Good, good. Whats with all the birds?"
Commando: "Don't know. Probably related somehow. Most of them are further up the mountain."
Zane: "Alright then. Guess its time for us to go do what we do. Stay alive, boys."
Aleith|DM: As you step through the gates of the manor (one of the hinges is barely hanging on), several spirits and a few larger ones, including a giant skeleton, appear in front of you. As the smaller spirits cackle, the commandos nearby start cackling with them.
Chandrasekhar: "…well, that's ominous."
Phyllis: "It's a trap."
Ernst rolled d20 and got 13 ( Total: 13 )
Phyllis rolled d20+19 and got 18 ( Total: 37.0 )
Zane: "Of course its a trap. I'm going to be very upset if they were lying about Dale."
Gerald‘ pulls out his blaster, flipping on switches. "I’m glad we don't have to go to the top of the mountain now."
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 38:Ernst | 37:Phyllis | 32:Traitor Spirit A | 32:Traitor Spirit F | 31:Traitor Spirit D | 31:Traitor Spirit E | 30:Sword Wraith | 29:Traitor Spirit C | 28:Gerald | 27:Zane | 24:Chandrasekhar | 24:Traitor Spirit B | 23:Deathdrinker Skel. | 18:Caller in Darkness |
Aleith|DM: Ernst!
Ernst lays down Stocke [Minor], and then fires a [GMW] at the Skeleton.
Ernst rolled 2#d20+34(1) and got 18 ( Total: 52.0 )
Also rolled 2#d20+34(2) and got 9 [Total: 43.0 (Low), Avg: 9.00]
Total: 95.0, Avg: 13.50
Aleith|DM: Hits!
Ernst rolled 5d8+19 and got 6, 8, 1, 7, 6 ( Total: 47.0 ) for +9 to hit, +5 dmg, brutal 1 to everyone
Ernst then gets out of fireball formation.
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 47!
Aleith|DM: Phyllis!
Phyllis glares at the Skeleton, Caller, and Wraith, mesmerizing them to keep in place. Thoughts of red, trails of blood that lead nowhere. That's how you trick Bleak Gate denizens, right? [Mesmeric Hold]
Phyllis rolled 3#d20+27(1) and got 20 ( Total: 47.0 ) for Skeleton, Caller, Wraith
Also rolled 3#d20+27(2) and got 18 [Total: 45.0 (High), Avg: 18.00]
Also rolled 3#d20+27(3) and got 14 [Total: 41.0 (High), Avg: 14.00]
Total: 133.0, Avg: 17.33
Phyllis rolled 5d6+38 and got 2, 4, 5, 4, 3 ( Total: 56.0 ) for crit
Phyllis rolled 2d6+26 and got 1, 5 ( Total: 32.0 ) for other two
Phyllis: And they're all Immobilized UEoPNT.
Phyllis: Oh. 5 more damage each. Didn't account for GMW.
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 61! Bloodied!] [37!] [37!
Aleith|DM: Spirits A, D, and F charge Chandrasekhar and Zane!
[OOC] Ernst: Also reroll the 1 for brutal
Aleith|DM rolled d6 and got 4 ( Total: 4 )
Aleith|DM: Accounted for now.
Aleith|DM rolled 3#d20+26(1) and got 3 ( Total: 29.0 ) for Chandrasekhar, Zane x2
Also rolled 3#d20+26(2) and got 8 [Total: 34.0 (Low), Avg: 8.00]
Also rolled 3#d20+26(3) and got 9 [Total: 35.0 (Low), Avg: 9.00]
Total: 98.0, Avg: 6.67
Aleith|DM: All three miss!
Aleith|DM: Spirits C and E charge Gerald and Phyllis!
Aleith|DM rolled 3#d20+27(1) and got 7 ( Total: 34.0 ) for +1 charge
Also rolled 3#d20+27(2) and got 18 [Total: 45.0 (High), Avg: 18.00]
Also rolled 3#d20+27(3) and got 11 [Total: 38.0 (High), Avg: 11.00]
Total: 117.0, Avg: 12.00
Aleith|DM: whoops that last one is not there
Aleith|DM: also E should have hit Zane with +1 to that.
F
Aleith|DM: 11 damage to Zane and Phyllis!
Aleith|DM: The sword wraith is stuck!
Aleith|DM: Gerald!
Gerald‘ sighs, then takes a step back into some mist, reappearing closer to the mansion before marking the two big guys as his quarry, then unloads a [Pounding Barrage] into the Caller of Darkness.
Gerald` rolled 6d20 and got 18, 4, 19, 19, 10, 17 ( Total: 87 ) for only miss on a 1 so…
Aleith|DM: Hits!
Gerald` rolled 5d8+25 and got 5, 1, 5, 2, 3 ( Total: 41.0 ) for full damage
Also rolled 5d8+25 and got 8, 6, 6, 2, 7 [Total: 54.0 (High), Avg: 5.80]
Also rolled 5d8+25 and got 4, 7, 4, 7, 3 [Total: 50.0 (High), Avg: 5.00]
Also rolled 3d10 and got 3, 7, 10 [Total: 20 (High), Avg: 6.67]
Also rolled 3d8 and got 8, 1, 2 [Total: 11 (Low), Avg: 3.67]
Also rolled 1d6+24 and got 3 [Total: 27.0 (Low), Avg: 3.00]
Total: 203.0, Avg: 4.73
Gerald` rolled 2d8 and got 3, 5 ( Total: 8 )
[OOC] Gerald: +6 more forgot brutal
[OOC] Gerald: and immobilized
[OOC] Ernst: Brutal 1
[OOC] Ernst: Oh I lagged
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 203! Bloodied!] The Caller in Darkness lets loose a [Soulstorm] but Gerald is just out of range! [Close Burst 2 when bloodied
Aleith|DM: Zane!
Chandrasekhar blinks.
Gerald: "Science beats ghost, every time, man."
Zane sidesteps for a better line of sight and tosses a grenade at the skeleton and caller!
Zane rolled d20+0 and got 18 ( Total: 18 ) for inaccurate
Aleith|DM: Landed!
Zane rolled 2#d20+38(1) and got 8 ( Total: 46.0 )
Also rolled 2#d20+38(2) and got 13 [Total: 51.0 (High), Avg: 13.00]
Total: 97.0, Avg: 10.50
Zane rolled 6d6r1+20: 4, 2, 5, (1, 2), 2, 6 [Total: 41.0 (Avg), Avg and got 3.50
Aleith|DM rolled d20+26 and got 3 ( Total: 29 ) for OA
Zane rolled d20+38 and got 17 ( Total: 55.0 ) for realized I’d also hit spirit B
[OOC] Aleith|DM: KO! * 3!] The deathdrinker skeleton erupts in a [Blood Burst] as it dies, catching Gerald in the blast! [Close Burst 3
Aleith|DM rolled d20+23 and got 16 ( Total: 39 ) for vs Fort
Aleith|DM rolled 3d10 and got 1, 3, 3 ( Total: 7 )
Gerald‘ manages to dodge that, lmao.
Aleith|DM: ….
Aleith|DM: Yes. +5 defences FTW.
[OOC] Phyllis: Welcome to Epic.
Zane: "Science definitely beats ghosts."
Aleith|DM: Chandrasekhar!
Chandrasekhar steps -through- the spirits in a single motion, rippling through reality and reappearing close to the Sword Wraith, and then howling - and he has SEEN Srasama’s last moments now, with his own eyes. All of these opponents will share that pain. [Divine Challenge] the Wraith, [Vision of the Fall] the wraith.
Chandrasekhar rolled d20+35 and got 12 ( Total: 47 ) for 26+9 or so I am told vs. Will
Aleith|DM: Hit!
Chandrasekhar rolled 2d8+16 and got 5, 5 ( Total: 26 ) for fire and radiant, each ally of target takes 5 fire+radiant (maybe more now??? idk it doesnt matter)
[OOC] Aleith|DM: it's 8 now yes
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 18!] [KO! * 5!] The sword wraith's regeneration is surpressed UEoNT!
Phyllis: "Hell is empty."
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 38:Ernst | 37:Phyllis | 30:Sword Wraith | 28:Gerald | 27:Zane | 24:Chandrasekhar |
Aleith|DM: Ernst!
Phyllis: "And all the devils are here."
Phyllis: "How convenient for us."
Ernst makes his way over to Zane/Phyllis as Stocke waddles towards Gerald. Ernst then fires a second GMW [Standard] and Stocke fires a [Magic Weapon] both at the attendant.
Ernst rolled 2#d20+42(1) and got 13 ( Total: 55.0 ) for Ernst
Also rolled 2#d20+42(2) and got 15 [Total: 57.0 (High), Avg: 15.00]
Total: 112.0, Avg: 14.00
Ernst rolled 5d8+19 and got 1, 2, 6, 6, 6 ( Total: 40.0 )
Ernst rolled 2#d20+40(1) and got 2 ( Total: 42.0 ) for Magic weapon Stocke
Also rolled 2#d20+40(2) and got 14 [Total: 54.0 (High), Avg: 14.00]
Total: 96.0, Avg: 8.00
Ernst rolled 5d8+24 and got 1, 8, 5, 5, 4 ( Total: 47.0 )
Ernst rolled 2d8 and got 4, 2 ( Total: 6 ) for ones
[OOC] Ernst: The fight is over I think… but +9 to hit for Zane/Phyllis and +5 dmg brutal 1, +5 to hit +5 dmg brutal 1 for Gerald…
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 20! Bloodied! 23!
Aleith|DM: Phyllis!
Phyllis zaps it with a [Color Spray.]
Phyllis rolled d20+27 and got 11 ( Total: 38.0 )
Aleith|DM: Hit!
Phyllis rolled d6+22 and got 2 ( Total: 24.0 ) for vs Will
[OOC] Phyllis: Er. Radiant.
[OOC] Aleith|DM: is that counting vuln 10?
[OOC] Phyllis: No it was not!
[OOC] Aleith|DM: KO!
[OOC] Phyllis: nor was it counting the GMW
[OOC] Aleith|DM: well then
Zane takes a deep breath. Smiles. "That was refreshing."
Ernst: "Let's hope the entire trip is that easy."
Aleith|DM: The commandoes stop cackling and come to their senses.
Ernst tops off Zane and Phyllis before they likely continue on.
Phyllis: "You done? We've got a few people to rescue."
Phyllis: "Cavalry's arrived."
Gerald‘ heads inside, looking around for Dale.
Zane likewise heads inside, down to the basement.
Aleith|DM: You find them in hiding in the remains of the basement lab of Macbannin’s.
Gerald: "Ya'll ghost too or just normal alive people?"
Aleith|DM: They're fine.
Zane: "Dale! You got any pie left? I'm getting pre-emptively hungry from the asskicking we're about to give the Danorans."
Dale: "Well, constables. This is a pleasant surprise!"
Dale: "I didn't even know you were back in the country!"
Zane: "With any luck, neither do they."
Dale: "Oh, the Danorans, right."
Zane: "Mm. Bastards."
Zane: "Whats been happening up here?"
Dale: "Before we got stuck here with all the spirits, your Chief Delft passed along instructions to keep the city on defence and to prepare for a siege."
Phyllis furtively looks around the mansion, seeing if she can sense something about -why- this place is so screwy now. Last time she was here, she had to close a portal to the Bleak Gate, and there was some sort of pipe system funnelling witchoil. [Arcana]
Dale: "Seems to be a breach between here and the Bleak Gate of epic proportions. Quite a bit worse than the one I reported to you about four months ago, as you can see."
Zane: "Mmhmm. We gave as much warning as we could, but… things have been hectic, and occasionally just plain stupid."
Gerald: "Lots of stupid."
[OOC] Phyllis: Or, well. Arcana? or nothin'
Aleith|DM: It likely is some sort of consequence of what the Obscurati are trying to pull off, Phyllis.
Aleith|DM: Your Arcana is, frankly, ridiculous.
[OOC] Zane: bahahaha
[OOC] Zane: Why Even Roll Anymore
Aleith|DM: She does auto-pass Hard DCs of her level now, yes…
Dale: "Well, I appreciate the help. Anything you want my men and I to do?"
Zane: "You remember where Kells old stronghold, Machete Hill, was?"
Dale: "Yeah, sure. Downhill to the east, right?"
Zane nods. "Go there, meet up with Lauren Cyneburg. If she doesn't have other orders for you, start helping the civilians into the Cloudwood for safety."
Dale: "Yes, sir!" He gives you a sharp salute and heads off after showing you his stash of food and putting on a pot of coffee.
Zane drops into a chair and has some pie and coffee before heading out.
Zane: "What? Don't look at me like that, I'm giving Cyneburg more time to get men and cannons. And nervous as hell."
Phyllis takes ten minutes to cast [Battlefield Elocution] and transfer it from herself to Dale. "Vocal enchantment should last you about an hour, help out with directing the citizenry out. If you get a chance to restock, get a caster and a scroll for Battlefield Elocution."
Phyllis: "Best of luck."
Aleith|DM: Alright. After a bit of relaxing following your confrontation with the restless spirits, you head down the hill and into Central to the RHC Headquarters.
Zane: "I wonder if Delft is here…"
Aleith|DM: There you find out that Delft was on the Governor's island when it was sealed off.
Zane: "…"
Zane: "Why was he there?"
Gerald: "On the bright side, his paranoia is going to excel in a situation like that."
Phyllis: "He's the one that gave Dale his orders to siege up. Right near the breach."
Aleith|DM: The Governor called for him yesterday evening.
Zane: "Well, alright then."
Chandrasekhar grumbles worriedly. If anyone can stay safe in a situation like that, it's probably Delft, but…
Aleith|DM: He hasn't been back since but he sent word when the Danoran fleet showed up.
Zane swings into their office, scoops Lyas rapier off its hanging rack to tuck into his belt, and checks for the files on the dragons he requested back before everything went to hell in a handbasket.
Phyllis: "My paranoia says he's turncoat. Unlikely, given everything we've been through, but."
Aleith|DM: There's a couple of large piles of files in your Incoming box, Zane.
Phyllis: "Still a possibility."
Zane: "Recent turncoat, possibly. It would be a nasty blow if Nicodemus had grabbed him after the incident in the Malice Lands. I would take that… personal."
Zane bundles the files and tucks them into his pack before heading out to the others again.
Gerald: "Doesn't he only inhabit dead bodies long term? … Oh."
Aleith|DM: You get word via your messenger wind from Asrabey that he fought his way through some Ob agents searching for Gale, but they're safe and helping coordinate the evacuation into the Cloudwood.
Zane: "Nah, he seemed pretty happy with Andrei before I kicked his ass."
Gerald: "Yeah I thought he was dead too but I could be mistaken."
Zane: "Nah, he was… weird, for sure, but very much alive."
Gerald: "Aha."
Gerald: "I just assumed what with all the random sewn on limbs and shit. … Anyway."
Zane: "Yeah I don't know exactly what his dad did but… Anyway. I'm thinking its time to get a status report from Cyneburg and maybe go kick Stansfields's ass."
Gerald: "Agreed."
Aleith|DM: Cyneburg shows up a bit after you message her. She reports that the preparations should be done in half an hour. A scout managed to get onto the island found the administrative district empty but accessible, but the barrier surrounding the fort impenetrable (but otherwise harmless).
Chandrasekhar: "So we get in position and wait for the fireworks?"
Zane: "Awesome. If you have the men, dispatch a force to our harbor to get some of our ships ready. Quietly. If we can get the Danrans focused on our shore barrages, they'll get close enough to the docked boats that you can light them up without ever having to unmoor."
Zane: "Especially the Coaltongue."
Zane: "… Hey do we still have that submarine we stole from the Danorans?"
Gerald: "We sure as hell didn't give it back."
Zane: "Oh man. I hope Lya is still in the harbor when we finish with Stansfield."
Zane gives a bloodthirsty laugh. "Using their own sub to sink their dreadnaught appeals to me on many levels."
Cyneburg: "Reports have it under a light guard at the docks in Bosum Strand. It and some of the other RHC ships like the Roscommon are there."
Cyneburg: "They're about all that's left of the military ships in Flint."
Chandrasekhar: "Hah. That's all we'll even need."
Zane nods. "Alright. See what you can do, quietly. I'd love to be able to suckerpunch the Danorans when they get closer to shore."
Cyneburg: "We'd need more people if you wanted to do it now instead of after the cannons have been fired."
Zane thinks. "Even with Dale and his men?"
Cyneburg: "Hmmm. They're a bit shaken up, but they could handle the guard on the RHC ships at least."
Zane nods. "And it would get them the hell away from Cauldron Hill, as an added bonus. Put them on it."
Cyneburg salutes and gets back to getting things setup.
Zane messages the King next, politely asking him to send Garrett back for the next part of the operation.
Phyllis: "As far as us getting there, a water breathing ritual is an option."
Chandrasekhar: "That's… probably the simplest option."
Chandrasekhar: "Although it may be one they've thought of; we should keep our wits about us."
Aleith|DM: Garrett catches up to you as you near the bay and the remnants of the bridge (though you probably go into the water some ways away from it…)
[OOC] Zane: Into the water at the Royal Shipyard! Just stroll right down an empty boat-launch ramp lol
Aleith|DM: The Royal Shipyard is far from empty.
Aleith|DM: As that's where the Coaltongue is moored.
Zane looks the Royal Shipyards over, counting enemy forces. "Cyneburg said we have a half an hour, right…"
Aleith|DM: There's also two large ships not too far away from the Coaltongue, cannons all pointed at the flagship.
Zane: "Tch. You'll be looking away soon enough, ladies. Bet on that."
Zane: "Alright, the shipyard is too hot at the moment. We'll go in somewhere a little less chock full of people waiting to murder us."
Phyllis: "Less in quantity, if not intent."
Zane: "Yeah. And without the two massive warships pointing cannons at it."
Zane claps Garrett on the shoulder. "Good to have you back."
Aleith|DM: With Phyllis casting water breathing on all of you, it's an easy-if cold-swim to the Governor's island. True to the scout's word, the island is pretty much deserted outside of the fortress.
Garrett: "Good to be back." He looks the group up and down. "…have you seen combat in the past hour? Not a scratch on anyone."
Phyllis: "We sneezed at some ghosts and they blew away."
Zane: "Alright, keep your eyes peeled for some shelter, there's gonna be some cannonfire incoming and I'd like a place to not stand in it."
Garrett: "They don't warn anyone about that in the newly-dead handbook."
Aleith|DM: The lights shining from the lighthouse start flashing more rapidly, and as you look up, stars begin to fall from the sky.
[OOC] Aleith|DM: lighthouse behind the barrier
Zane: "Bloody hell…"
Phyllis: "Looks like they're making good on their plans to rearrange the stars."
Chandrasekhar nudges Phyllis.
Phyllis: "Rewrite the laws of this world as we know it."
Aleith|DM: A few fall every minute, plunging silently, then flash and sizzle as they strike the water.
Gerald: "Huh."
Garrett: "It'd be beautiful if it wasn't so horrifying. Then the horrifying part itself is probably so, to a skyseer." Pause. "There's narrative layers to that, I hope some docker is taking note."
Chandrasekhar: "Where's Rock Rackus when you need him."
Phyllis: "Stuck in an absurdist web, possibly."
Zane: "Deep in the Fairy Queen, one hopes. In the name of peace."
Phyllis pauses, then turns her head to Zane.
Garrett: "I think that's at least one hope we can write as true."
Garrett: "And if it's the other way around, well… fingers crossed that it's less bloody."
Zane: "Hey, I don't judge."
Gerald: "Eugh."
Aleith|DM: You find shelter near the fortress' barrier and give the signal to Cyneburg.
Garrett‘ starts to advance further into the island, hoping the starfall is drawing enough attention.
Zane: "What is it, Ursinho?"
Phyllis: "Rock’s not in the web -right now-, is he?"
Zane: "I don't know, I'd have to check."
Gerald: "I'm reasonably confident we did not put him back in after pulling him out. That would have been silly."
Gerald: "…A second time, I mean."
Zane: "Yeah, but someone else could have. There's many ways into the web."
Phyllis: "There's more than one web, I presume."
Phyllis: "Anyway."
Phyllis: "The dead skyseer's prophecy seems to be coming true."
Aleith|DM: Multiple cannon shots ring out and strike the barrier. It shudders and cracks, but the barrage doesn't break it through. The cracks start repairing, but slowly…
[OOC] Zane: what are the odds we could slip through a crack I wonder
Aleith|DM: It takes several cannon barrages to crack a whole in the barrier, and the Danoran fleet in the distance starts to panic. Flares go up from a few ships far in the distance for some reason.
[OOC] Aleith|DM: *crack a hole
Aleith|DM: There's the sound of distant explosions from the mouth of the bay.
Phyllis: If it's good enough for line of sight, it's good enough for an [Arcane Gate]. Presumably.
Zane: "Lets move it, folks!"
Aleith|DM: Sending up a signal once the hole in the barrier is large enough, the cannon fire stops as you rush for the breach.
Chandrasekhar: "…huh. Wonder what's going on over there." Time to haul ass now and ask questions later!
Gerald‘ heads on through the handy dandy portal in a hurry.
Zane: "Knowing our luck? Borne again."
Garrett: "That’d be neutral-news at least!"
Zane: "Depending on how his time with mother worked out, yeah."
Aleith|DM: The breach slowly repairs behind you…
Phyllis: "She Who Writhes probably isn't taking kindly to the invasion, either."
Zane: "It is to be hoped."
Aleith|DM: …but not before the sounds of heavy footsteps behind you are heard.
Zane: "…"
Zane turns to look.
Lya: "Well, well, well. The constables made it in a nick of time." Beside Danor's Minister of Outsiders stand 3 large metal contraptions, as well as one of her bodyguards, Rush Munchausen. The barrier finishes closing behind them.
Garrett‘ slowly begins to smile.
Zane smiles. "Lya! You saved me the trouble of tracking you down."
Gerald: "It’s fucking festivas!"
Garrett: "Saved us the trouble of finding you."
Phyllis: Arcane Gate's still active?
Garrett‘ nods to Zane.
Aleith|DM: It winks out as the barrier closes.
Gerald: "Not only do we get to move you RAPIDLY up the list but we don’t even have to find you now!"
Garrett: "You have no idea how much we've missed you- or maybe you do!" He throws his arms out, gesturing at Zane, Gerald, himself.
Zane: "I have something of yours. I've been meaning to return it for ages." He pulls her rapier out of his belt and tosses it to her.
Chandrasekhar manages to look PROFOUNDLY menacing even with - or perhaps because of - the mask covering his face.
Lya gives a half-smile. "I'm sure. Just as I'm sure you know I can't let you stop Stanfield's ritual."
Aleith|DM: She picks up the rapier. "I had a new one made, but I appreciate the thought."
[OOC] Aleith|DM: *catches the rapier
Zane laughs and draws his hand-crafted blade, the Arsenal flicking into the shape of a matching curved short sword. "Come stop me then."
Garrett: "Don't think you'll be living this one alive."
[OOC] Garrett: *leaving
Lya: "It will be an honour to cross blades with you again. Despite our past disagreements, this is not personal for me."
Zane: "It's a little personal for me. You were going to assassinate my king."
Gerald‘ flicks a bullet into the air before catching it. "Oh, but it is."
Garrett: "The Ob in its entirety have made everything real personal. They’re wrecking my home as we speak."
Lya: "So that didn't work? More of your interference, I suppose?"
Chandrasekhar: "It's our job, after all."
Zane: "My friends and I are cursed with an abundance of competence."
Chandrasekhar: "And we're good at our job. Better than you are at yours, at any rate."
Lya: "I suppose it is a little personal." She pats the largest of the contraptions on the snout. This steel-skinned behemoth has four articulated legs with claws. Its belly rumbles and steam coughs up from pipes along its back, reminiscent of wings. A pair of vents along its segmented abdomen angle downward. "I was inspired from your home country's history. I do like my little draconic fascimile here."
Garrett: "You haven't been keeping count of how many dragons we've been killing, then."
Lya: "But I won't try to persuade you with compassion. Nicodemus cares about saving the world from suffering. He and I both have seen wars, and bloodshed. We agree it must stop. But for different reasons."
Lya: "It wasn’t the atrocities I saw, or the horrible wounds my friends suffered that bothered me most."
Zane: "Oh?"
Lya: "It was that there was no place for reason. When I'm honest with myself, a stranger's suffering—it doesn't bother me. But a mind left fallow, poisoned by desperation? That is cruel."
Lya: "You're loyal and decent. I respect that. But a new age of reason is upon us. Your time is past."
Gerald: "Oh my fucking Gods you're even more boring than Nico, we're done not shooting each other."
Aleith|DM: End session 8 of The Last Starry Sky

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License