Zg Session 78

Winter 15
It's been a bit over a week since you left Sentosa, trekking through the jungles of Elfaivar northwards towards the resting place of the lost arc of Reida, Ingatan's Refuge. In Sentosa, you heard that a clan of territorial weretigersweretigers—naturally born with their powers, not afflicted, and known as bagheva in the local tongue—have claimed Ingatan's Refuge as their home. They do not revere the old god of memory and fire, but instead worship Hewanharimau, the forbidden god of savagery. They call themselves the Children of Hewanharimau, and see their powers as a blessing.
The trek has been relatively uneventful. The most noteworthy things have been crossing paths with a parade of elephants accompanied by some local fey; and coming across a ruined village with a centuries-old stone marker listing the names of every woman who perished there from teh Great Malice.
Aleith|DM: You're currently camped for the night, about half a day out from the ancient temple.
Gerald: "So… that huge monument is a little creepy, right?"
Gerald‘ leans towards Zane a moment later, writing out ’being watched' then an arrow pointing out in a specific direction outside of the camp in the dirt.
Zane‘ has about finished making the socket in the palm of his left glove. "So wait, let me get this straight. This lady Dhebisu grabbed a meteor, turned it onto a knife… and *stabbed a rakshasa in the dick* to take away its power? Man, the eladrin have some really good stories." He nods slightly at Gerald.
Gerald: "…I guess that explains why it can grow when excited?"
Zane` laughs. "An artifact with a hard-on."
Phyllis: "As opposed to a hard-on for an artifact."
Zane` snorts. "Yeah, that never ends well for anybody."
Zane` scratches ’#?' in the dirt with his heel as he stretches.
Gerald‘ opens his mouth, closes his mouth.
Gerald` shakes his head before stretching his arms out behind his back and making a single mark with his foot.
Zane: "Alright, nature calls. When I get back, either of you up for another language lesson?"
Gerald: "Uugh I guess. I duno why you don’t understand it already though."
Aleith|DM: It is, admitedly, kind of strange to teach a language that was magically implanted in your head-speaking and reading it feel natural, but it's weird making associations between Ancient and Common to teach it.
Zane: "Because I didn't touch the magic thing. And this way I can write it down and put it out there in a way for everybody to learn it, if they are so inclined."
Phyllis: "He wishes to learn things the old-fashioned way. In a way, he's helping everyone by actually providing a necessity for the proper pedagogy of the language."
Gerald: "A what?"
Zane‘ stands up, pops his back, and wanders into the jungle, fumbling at his belt. Which lasts until he is out of sight of the camp (and presumably the watcher), at which point he climbs up into the trees and circles around to see who is spying on them. [Stealth, Silent Stalker, Ghost of the Rooftops, Bracers of Brachiation]
Phyllis: "He’s forcing me to actually consider how to teach it without a highly specific magical - doohickey."
Aleith|DM: Roll it.
Aleith|DM: (Stealth, that is)
Zane‘ rolled d20+22 and got 4 ( Total: 26 )
[OOC] Zane: aw yiss -_-
Gerald: "Ah. Yeah that still makes no sense to me, since it feels more like primordial or common instead of dwarven."
Aleith|DM: You see a female eladrin startle, then run off deeper into the woods before cahnging into a tiger and disappearing.
[OOC] Aleith|DM: in the depths of the jungle
Gerald` tilts his head towards the sound for a moment, then shrugs.
Zane` walks back into camp. "Yeah, they know we’re coming."
Phyllis: "Lovely."
Gerald: "On the bright side that's never really been a major issue before."
Zane: "Yeah. Still, hate that the scout actually got away. Eladrin woman, by the way. Until she turned into a tiger, of course."
Gerald: "Huh."
Gerald: "Been seeing a lot of those lately."
Zane: "Home turf advantage."
Aleith|DM: It's just after lunch, a couple miles out from Ingatan's Refuge, when you come across a contingent of Clergy soldiers-Phyllis recognizes them instantly: two chaplains and eight vindicators. They seem to be patrolling the area, though 4 of them are injured. You notice them before they spot you.
Gerald: "The hell are THEY doing all the way out here?"
Zane: "Probably the same thing we're doing."
Aleith|DM: You are in a Clergy-held area of Elfaivar.
[OOC] Aleith|DM: Ingatan's Refuge is in Vigilia
Gerald: "Oh right there was that one priest guy that got blasted at the Ob meeting."
Phyllis: "Seeing how their colonies are doing, I suspect."
Aleith|DM: Avoiding them, or not?
Gerald: "Oh right that too. Uh. If they're just frontiersmen we probably don't have any reason to engage then…?"
Zane: "Probably not, yeah."
Aleith|DM: Alright. You dodge the patrol and continue on to the temple.
Phyllis: "May be able to scry on them if they're still in the same area later."
Aleith|DM: An unnamed river is split in two by the natural awning of stone over a shallow cave, and the waterfall cascades on either side of a hundred foot high outcropping. A switchback leads up the front of the outcropping to the long-abandoned holy site known as Ingatan’s Refuge, a spacious temple hollowed into the outcropping. At the back of the cave, just visible from the outside, a massive statue of Ingatan sits, his four arms held palm-up, as if waiting to hold something. Erosion has weathered his face away, and looters have stolen the gold that once adorned him.
Aleith|DM: The Children of Hewanharimau have built huts in a tangle of massive thorny vines that have grown up around Ingatan’s Refuge. Known as Kanta Mahala or Bramblehome, the weretiger lair is difficult to assail by all but the most prepared of attackers.
[OOC] Aleith|DM: https://i.imgur.com/xOwqMw3.jpg
Gerald: "Man, this would probably look really nice as a painting."
Aleith|DM: You see 10 eladrin standing guard on the switchback leading up to the temple.
Zane: "Hm."
Gerald: "My opening gambit of setting up a nest and taking out anyone that pops their head out is… exactly the opposite of what we want here so…"
Gerald: "I duno, probably wouldn't hurt to ask? I imagine you having the glowing meteor weapon might help make your case."
Zane: "I almost want to try going in from the top. I've got the gear for it, and if I go first I can anchor for the rest of you."
Gerald: "I feel like that might also come across as hostile."
Phyllis: "I'm not sure how well that would go over."
Gerald: "Though I can understand the desire, yeah. Would be fun."
Zane: "So, do we want to… try and talk our way in?"
Phyllis: "That's what I was hoping for, personally."
Gerald: "I can't believe I'm suggesting that either, but it seems to be the best starting point."
Gerald: "If they get beligerant we can always fight our way out easily enough."
Zane‘ nods. "Works for me."
Ernst: "Hopefully it won’t come to that."
Zane: "Hope springs eternal and should never be judged. … Mind you I expect to be walking over a carpet of corpses on the way out, but not because we didnt try."
Phyllis: "Keep an eye out for any funny business, at least. Since they were trying to keep an eye on us."
Phyllis looks around for any writing, or if she's heard anything from the inhabitants.
Aleith|DM: Elven is probably a safe guess.
[OOC] Phyllis: ah. so can we assume chandra can translate or
Aleith|DM: He and Garret could, yeah.
[OOC] Zane: three more levels and I'll be able to. Lingust giving me three languages is fucking awesome.
Aleith|DM: As you approach the guards, they call for you to halt where you stand. Soon enough there's a bit of a commotion as some more of the eladrin show up, all keeping an eye on you, most with large wooden clubs at hand.
Gerald‘ makes an effort to not laugh at their weapon choices. It’s probably not like they have especially good selection out here.
Zane‘ keeps his hands conspicuously in view, thumbs hooked in a couple of loops on his harness.
Aleith|DM: Shortly after, a couple more eladrin followed by a couple of large tigers approach. One is the female eladrin from last night, saying in Elven, ’see, Betronga, I told you there were some strange folks travelling nearby! "
Aleith|DM: The other eladrin speaks directly to you (but still in Elven). "What do you want here in Bramblehome?"
Gerald‘ tips his hat.
Phyllis: "We don’t mean any harm, though." She'll allow for Garrett or Chandra to translate.
Aleith|DM: The female pipes up again. "At least they're not brandising prayers like those soldiers."
Betronga makes a shushing motion. "Quiet, Talios."
Zane‘ chuckles. "No, we’re not with the Clergy."
Phyllis frowns in commiseration. "We're familiar with them. Not on good terms."
Betronga: "Then why are you here?"
Gerald: "We heard from another enclave that you had some kind of artifact that we'd like to borrow in order to help someone regain their memories."
Phyllis: "You have a crown - something to do with memories. Or so we hear. Would it be possible to strike up some sort of deal in exchange?"
Zane‘ makes a ’what they said' gesture.
Betronga: "I don't know of this artifact, but you want access to the temple, then?" He points his thumb upwards, towards it.
Zane: "Please and thank you."
Phyllis: "If you'll permit it."
Betronga: "We may not worship Ingatan specifically, but the place is still holy. We believe that by guarding the temple, Ingatan, the keeper of truth, will reveal some proof that will exonerate our god in the eyes of the rest of our people. I can't let anyone unworthy enter the refuge."
Betronga: "However, you could prove yourselves…"
Gerald: "Oh man, this is definitely when you show them the thing."
Phyllis: "Again?"
Zane: "Nope it is definitely not." He looks at Betronga. "What is the test?"
Betronga: "A couple miles away from here lies a Clergy fort. They patrol daily, stealing our lands, destroying the jungles and killing our youngest and oldest."
With a fervant gleam in his eyes (and on his teeth), he asks, "help us assault Vigil Longis and end the Clergy threat against us, and you'll get unrestricted access to Ingatan's Refuge, and any support from us you may ask in the future."
Phyllis: "Kicking out colonialists." Her eyes flash in anticipation, her grin matches Betronga's. "THAT, we can do."
Gerald: "That shouldn't be too hard."
Zane: "No burning the boats, though. Let them have a way out once they break, otherwise they'll fight twice as hard." .
Betronga: "If they run, so be it." Some of the other eladrin snicker.
Zane‘ smiles slightly. "They’ll run. They always run…"
Gerald: "Man, you wouldn't BELIEVE how often people run away from us…" Gerald sighs.
Phyllis: "Vigil Longis, you say. Is it around …" She describes roughly the area they crossed paths with the Clergy earlier.
Aleith|DM: Near there, yeah. Betronga and a few of the others start sketching out the compound for you…
[OOC] Aleith|DM: https://i.imgur.com/y2XxHXf.jpg
Betronga: "I'll help you storm the gate, and once we get it open, the rest of my fighters will storm the compound."
Zane‘ thinks. "Probably better to leave the gate, and start burning from the southwest corner up. Push them out the gate."
Gerald: "Whole place seems extreeemely flamable, yes."
Phyllis: "With an Arcane Gate, it’s possible to be clever."
Phyllis: "We have that option, Zane. Just let me know where to deploy it."
Zane: "Oh man. The mess hall and the barracks right next to each other. That is perfect fire starter territory." He points at the drawing. "Whats this pyre for?"
Phyllis: Religion check, maybe?
Betronga: "They burn the dead there. Their own, ours, animals. Not sure why."
Aleith|DM: Sure.
Phyllis rolled d20+22 and got 10 ( Total: 32.0 ) for 20 base counting +2 from Headband of Intellect
Gerald: "Huh."
Zane: "Purifying flames. Heh heh heh. I almost want to turn Singh loose on them at the gate but… trying *not* to murder everything."
Aleith|DM: It's not common for the clergy, but you have heard people speaking in whispers about eladrin exhuming buried bodies to eat back in Crisillyr, so that might have something to do with it. Completely unfounded, of course.
[OOC] Zane: The eaters of the dead. Oh shit we need twelve vikings and an arab!
Gerald: "Hmm. So Ernst covers the north watch tower, I got the south, and you hit 'em from the south east corner? Leave the gate clear so they have a clear escape path, keep out people in the western edge of ther forest if they decide to put up a fight?"
Ernst nods.
Phyllis: "… Don't concern yourself with the pyre's purpose too much at the moment."
Zane‘ nods. "I’ll see if I can burn them from the southwest up, use the flames to herd them."
Gerald: "Sounds good."
Zane‘ is going to go all siege warfare up in here, a veritable storm of burning arrows out of the forest without any warning.
Betronga: "What if they turn to fight instead of running?"
Zane: "Then they’re fighting inside a burning fort, and they're idiots."
Gerald: "Then they made a really bad decision and die very quickly."
Aleith|DM: When do you want to attack? Dawn? Dusk? Night? Day?
Zane‘ is going to hit them a couple hours before dawn. that’s when the mind is most at-rest and handles disruption the worst.
Aleith|DM: The were-tigers like how you think. Aside from the 'not-killing-them-all' part, but…. If it gets rid of them, they'll take the help to break the current stalemate. They lost their previous leader in a recent skirmish in a raid that went badly.
Phyllis probably helps ham things up with an illusory fire. And a few bears for good measure. Ursinho.
Gerald: "Less chance of your own people dyin' if they take the smarter route and don't engage, and you still get to fuck up their opperation *and* send home a message that they don't wanna be out here."
Zane‘ <3 his little magic bear.
Gerald` keeps an eye on the watch towers to check out how they’re directing personal, and if any of them pick up a bow to return fire they're getting sniped.
Aleith|DM: Late in the night, you and the combat-ready were-tigers depart from Bramblehome and head for the garrison. Following your plan, the watchmen are injured by your gunmen as the eladrin, joined by Zane, launch an attack of flaming (and some illusory) arrows at southwestern buildings.
Aleith|DM: There's a bit of a panic, but some of them start trying to fight the fires as others prepare to leave in a hurry, grabbing what they can.
Aleith|DM: The man who seems to be in charge leads them in a mostly-orderly retreat, with the were-tigers only harrying them enough to encourage them to leave quickly. Some leave with injuries, but many of them were already injured prior to the attack.
Zane‘ politely does not shoot out the glass windows of the prayer hall. That would be a Dick Move and he’s not quite operating in that mindset.
Gerald: "…Okay I'm totally goin' in to see if they have anything good to eat stored away before everything else burns to the ground."
Aleith|DM: As much as Bertronga visibily wishes to chase them down, he manages to keep his warriors under control.
Zane: "I started with the mess hall, man. it's all extra well done by now."
Phyllis: "I think Gerald's after some mulled Quital wine, possibly."
Zane‘ laughs. "God, I thought he was gonna have an apoplexy when you drank out of the bottle."
Aleith|DM: The eladrin start going through the fortress, but Betronga and his shamans keep an eye on them.
Gerald: "Honestly anything that isn’t travel rations at this point." Gerald shoulds his rifle and slips inside, not really expecting to find much or look for more than a minute or three, but hey.
Aleith|DM: Well, there's not much, but you manage to find a salvageable wheel of cheese. Most of the rest is basic rations and local vegetables, if it isn't burnt up.
Aleith|DM: Well, part of a wheel, anyway. Most of it's been used already.
Betronga: "That was…more satisfying than expected. Thank you greatly for your assistance. You've proved yourselves mightily. And without nearly any injuries of our own."
Zane‘ deftly slices a chunk out of the wheel. "Nice." Munch munch munch.
Gerald: "Yeah. When you got a force with worse gear you gotta fight smarter than ’em."
Betronga: "Burning them out…not something I would have thought of, to be honest."
Zane‘ also nods at Betronga, talking with his mouth full. "Killing people’s eashy. Winning wif min'mal bloodshed is th' mark of a true strategisht."
Phyllis: "Why thank you, Zane."
Zane‘ smirks. "Even if you do cheat, Ursinho."
Gerald: "I imagine if you lived in a rain forest the idea of deliberating lighting fires probably isn’t considered a great idea. Luckily they had a decent enough clearing to work with."
Gerald: "And we've got some experience with controlled building burning as well…" Gerald snickers to himself while taking a bite out of the cheese wheel.
Phyllis: "Would you like some rain to combat any chance of this getting out of control?"
Betronga: "If you can, that would be great."
Betronga: "They've done enough damage to our home as it is."
Phyllis: Control Weather. 10 minutes and 1800 gp of residuum.
Aleith|DM: Alright.
Aleith|DM: Nature check?
Phyllis rolled d20+18 and got 6 ( Total: 24.0 ) for Nature
Aleith|DM: Good for four hours.
Aleith|DM: Betronga leads you back to Ingatan's Refuge when you're ready. "As I said before, you may examine the temple as you wish. We haven't been inside much."
Zane: "Thanks."
Phyllis: "It's appreciated."
Zane‘ heads on up!
Gerald` nods, following Zane in.
Phyllis follows.
Aleith|DM: Inside you find a large room, a hallway at the end leading deeper in, and a couple doors on the left. Prayer mats lie on the ground, still pristine, even smelling freshly washed, despite the ground around them being covered in flaky moss. Light within is provided by small windows carved through the walls.
Aleith|DM: A fresco on the eastern wall reveals an idealized form of the god Ingatan, a rotund, four-armed figure flanked by elephants. He holds a flame in each hand, painted with a different color: gray, red, yellow, white.
Zane` makes a small but oddly formal gesture as he walks in. Its not his tribes gods, but being polite never hurt.
Gerald: "…Huh wonder what those rugs are made out of."
Phyllis examines the rooms on the left, first.
Zane` heads for the back. "I’ll work my way forward. Meet you in the middle."
Gerald: "H'kay."
Aleith|DM: The rooms to the left seem to be a dining room, with four low tables and a tub holding fresh water (6); a kitchen, where a single banana sits on a counter-top beside old cutlery (7); and a pantry: peppery-looking breads sit here without any mold.
Aleith|DM: Down the hallway, the first room on the left (9) has warm air wafting out of the room but looks otherwise empty from the outside. The other three doorways have a cool fog floating in the doorway, and nothing can be seen beyond it.
Gerald: "So some of this stuff seeming untouched and still, like, fresh is definitely some weird shit, right?"
Zane: "Temples are weird places, man."
Gerald: "Given the guys outside said they don't really come in here."
Zane: "Speaking of weird. Some kind of fog in these back rooms. Hope I don't die." And he ducks into the righthand room.
Aleith|DM: 10 or 11?
Zane: 11
Phyllis takes the time to cast [Object Reading] on the … perfectly pristine banana.
[OOC] Zane: mystic visions of Grue's minion army
Fog gives way to red steam, which blasts out from the cracked machinery of a foundry, nestled in the heart of a volcano. A large mechanical suit stands slumped and immobile at the top of the stairs, but enormous industrial mechanisms move along the walls. The temperature begins to rise to an unbearable level, and the steel platform separating you from the magma below starts to creak and buckle.
[OOC] Zane: Hey! Is this where we fought Oddcog and Gradiax's daughter?
Aleith|DM: It sure is.
Zane‘ smiles. "This was a good battle. I hate that she got away though. I’ll deal with her and her father some day."
Phyllis pokes her head out of the room and calls after him in the ensuing silence. "Zane? … Zane?"
Phyllis: "Did you die?"
Gerald‘ makes his way through the first, larger room quickly enough, then scans through 10 before checking out the fog Zane was tlaking about.
Phyllis frowns and tromps after them.
Aleith|DM: As soon as you poke your head in you appear in the same room as him.
Gerald` sniffs at the air. "This doesn’t smell like a feypeper cloud…"
Gerald: "Illusion?"
Phyllis: Arcana?
Aleith|DM: After a few seconds, the room starts getting warmer.
Phyllis turns back, trying to get back. Is that - even an option?
Aleith|DM: Three red-flames appear in the room: one in front of the schematics room at the back (I). One beside the dormant beam cannon (K). And the last floating above the turbine (H).
Aleith|DM: There is no back.
Zane‘ shrugs. "I dunno. It’s weird though, why do the illusion of *after* we fought… Oh."
Aleith|DM: You all take 5 fire damage.
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 37:Zane | 33:Phyllis | 26:Gerald | 23:Ernst |
Phyllis rolled d20+14 and got 9 ( Total: 23.0 ) for twice!!
Gerald: "Guah, The fuck?"
[OOC] Phyllis: but take higher, so
Zane: "Uh. I don't speak 'fire'. Should I shoot one?"
Phyllis: "Wouldn't that just feed it?"
Zane: "Maybe. Hm."
Zane‘ takes off for the door where Oddcog’s body was. [Run]
Aleith|DM: Phyllis? Gerald? Ernst?
Aleith|DM: Make an acrobatics check, Zane. The ground is shaking badly.
Gerald: "Definitely don't feel like burning up in some weird illusion at the very least…" Gerald takes a moment to empty his mind and harden his body against the enviroment. [Oakskin], then takes an experimental twin strike at the nearest flame.
Zane‘ rolled d20+22 and got 5 ( Total: 27 )
Aleith|DM: You’re…not going to slip anytime soon.
[OOC] Aleith|DM: DC 15
[OOC] Zane: hallelujah
Phyllis opens an [Arcane Gate] to the northeast.
Aleith|DM: Acrobatics check as you walk to it?
Phyllis rolled d20+10 and got 20 ( Total: 30.0 )
Aleith|DM: Yeah, you're fine.
Phyllis: Is the turbine active?
Aleith|DM: It certainly is.
Aleith|DM: You probably don't want to fall into it.
Phyllis: Chunky Salsa Rule. Got it.
Ernst activates his winged boots and just follows the party. ((My VD isn't connecting))
Aleith|DM: And it seems to be generating the heat…
Ernst then shuts off the turbine. That was easy.
Aleith|DM: The twin strike goes through the flames, striking the beam cannon beside it.
Aleith|DM: It lets out a short blast into the lava below
Aleith|DM: The turbine whines down slowly…
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 37:Zane | 33:Phyllis | 26:Gerald | 23:Ernst |
Zane‘ keeps hauling ass for the door. [Run]
Aleith|DM: Round 3. The ground starts buckling on the main platform. All of you take another 5 fire damage.
Phyllis sees what she can do about that flame. [Arcana?]
Aleith|DM: It’s…not even hot.
Aleith|DM: In fact, it seems to be tied to this…vision?
Phyllis reaches out to grab it. If such a thing is possible. "Which of Ingatan's orbs are you, I wonder?"
Aleith|DM: Religion check?
Phyllis rolled d20+20 and got 14 ( Total: 34.0 ) for if it's considered a knowledge roll, +2 more from headband property
Aleith|DM: The colour of the flames matches one of the ones on the fresco by the entrace. The red flame is said to represent the near past.
Aleith|DM: Grey represents the far past, yellow the near future, and white the far future.
Aleith|DM: The flame is warm but doesn't burn your hand.
Phyllis: Can she take it with her?
Aleith|DM: She can.
Aleith|DM: Zane, you make it to the door, the flame right beside you, as the door opens and Pemberton's standing on the other side. "I say, what an unusual situation this is." The heat doesn't seem to bother his duplicant body.
Phyllis does so.
Aleith|DM: Gerald, Ernst?
Phyllis: "Let's try to gather the flames together. That may be our way out?"
Gerald: "Siiiigh."
Zane‘ bares his teeth. "Gradiax."
Pemberton: "Constable…Bieito, was it? Does this have anything to do with our mutual enemy, this Nicodemus fellow?"
Gerald` hustles over to the edge of the platform. [Double Move]
Aleith|DM: I think your acrobatics also auto-passes…
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 37:Zane | 33:Phyllis | 26:Gerald | 23:Ernst |
Aleith|DM: Zane, Phyllis, Gerald?
Zane` reaches out to try and gather the flame.
Gerald` aims his blast at the flame and fires off the hook shot. Worst comes to worst it’ll catch on the beam if it can't grab the flame.
Aleith|DM: 5 more fire damage to everyone
Aleith|DM: It DOES seem to work on the flame if you want to pull it to you insetad of climbing up there.
Phyllis keeps going along the catwalk and uses her [Mage Hand] to try and retrieve the one by the wreckage.
Aleith|DM: The flame is warm to the touch, but more easily held then you'd guess, Zane.
Gerald: "Oh huh I guess this hallucinatino runs on intent, that's cool." Gerald flips a switch and reels it in. Flame fishing!
Aleith|DM: portions of the main platform start collapsing, and the buckling spreads.
Zane‘ [AP]s to put a dagger in Pembertons throat and goes to meet Phyllis. Yeah. Yeah he did.
Gerald: "…Actually no scratch that." Gerald WILL let it hook onto the beam and pull himself over, don’t want to risk this thing dropping out of no where
Aleith|DM: Pemberton's duplicant reaches up to pull the dagger out. "Well, that was rude." The throat's half-gone, but that doesn't seem to stop it from speaking.
Zane: "Just wait, Gradiax. I'm coming for you soon."
Gerald: "…okay we got 'em all, now how do we turn it off Phyllis??"
Pemberton: "As long as it waits until after the world isn't going to end. Good day, constables." The duplicant shuts down.
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 37:Zane | 33:Phyllis | 26:Gerald | 23:Ernst |
Aleith|DM: 5 more fire damage.
Phyllis: "Don't have them all yet, but working on it." Her Mage Hand isn't there yet, but -
Zane‘ runs toward phyllis.
Aleith|DM: There’s only three flames, and a constable has each one now…
Phyllis: "See if we can get them together? I don't know - "
[OOC] Phyllis: oh is that one by the -20 not a thing?
Aleith|DM: That's not a highlight
Aleith|DM: So it's not, no.
Phyllis: " - oh that's just a trick of the light." Even an illusionist can be so deceived.
Gerald: "I guess that works."
Gerald‘ runs down the beam.
Aleith|DM: Phyllis?
Phyllis: "What color are yours?"
Aleith|DM: They’re all red
Gerald: "…fire colored?"
Phyllis runs!
Aleith|DM: Distinctly red.
Gerald: "Or… huh? Actually this is more red than fire is supposed to be, that's weird."
Phyllis: "If they're what I think they are, they're meant to represent visions of the near past."
Zane: "The color my eyes get when I have to deal with goddamned dragons that I don't get to properly kill."
Phyllis: "I am making educated guesses and they are more guesses than educated."
Gerald: "…though I guess that's less weird than it not burning…"
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 37:Zane | 33:Phyllis | 26:Gerald | 23:Ernst |
Aleith|DM: 5 more fire damage.
Zane‘ huddles up with the other constables and tries to… put his fire together with theirs…? Magic is weird.
Phyllis casts [Flame’s Protection] to buy them a little more time in case she's wrong about this, then hands hers off to Zane -
Gerald‘ jogs over to Phyllis, he’s got longer legs.
Aleith|DM: As you bring all the flames together, the vision ends. You find yourself back in the temple, with a dozen corpses of eladrin priestesses, showing no sign if injury, lying on the floor around you. They have been placed with hands serenly folded on their chests, and they haven't decayed in the past five centuries.
Gerald: "I didn't do it!"
Zane‘ visibly starts.
Aleith|DM: The fog at the doorway is gone.
Phyllis does too, backing up against the wall in a near-panic. " - I’m glad I was -right- but I want it to be clear that I had no command of that situation at all - "
Gerald‘ glances around, then goes to check the entrance. Are they back back, or still in a vision?
Zane` looks around at the eladrin ladies and shakes his head, then heads for the door.
Aleith|DM: At the entrance, everything seems normal, except the red flame on the fresco near the entrance glows.
Phyllis: "That is not surprising in the slightest."
Gerald: "So uh…"
Aleith|DM: Talios, the scout that found you earlier opens the temple door. "Hey, uh, did you guys do something? There’s a giant flame on the statue's hand now?!"
Gerald: "Ya'll know there's like, a dozen dead eladrin priestesses just laying in there, right…?"
Zane: "Yeah, we did something. And we're gonna do some other somethings, probably, so expect more fires."
Phyllis looks visibly shaken. "Not on purpose!"
Talios: "…did you guys go into one of the foggy rooms? And came back out???"
Phyllis: "We walked into a room and had a vision, essentially."
Gerald: "Yup."
Zane: "For the record, the dead priestesses were *not* the thing we did."
Phyllis: "Hahahahaha yes."
Gerald: "Yeah they've probably been here a while."
Talios: "Huh. You guys are way better than I-wait, priestesses?! I'm, uh, gonna get Betronga now…"
Phyllis: "Are they truly preserved, or are we only observing their memory?"
Phyllis: "A vision of the far past, perhaps."
Talios: "Have fun!" she calls out as she closes the door behind her.
Gerald: "I mean, the banana seemed real enough."
Zane: "Dunno. Not my department. I'm the 'be scary and stab things' guy."
Gerald: "Should…"
Gerald: "Should I eat the banana to test?"
Phyllis: "Or, an image of them at their truest self, the platonic ideal of the banana. The shadows at the end of the cave - "
Phyllis: "I would advise against it."
Gerald: "Okay."
Gerald: "Was there more of that fog stuff in the other rooms?"
Zane: "Yeah."
Aleith|DM: In rooms 12 and 10 at least, yes.
Gerald: "Hmm."
Gerald: "Three fogs, three flames…"
Gerald: "I think we have a plan…?"
Aleith|DM: There's actually four on the fresco…
Gerald‘ only saw three in the vision quest!!
Aleith|DM: Yes, true.
Phyllis: "Red is near past. Grey is the far past. Yellow is the near future. White is the far future. Perhaps the end of the world that Pemberton spoke of, certainly the end that Eschatologists surmise about."
Zane: "I’m gonna end *his* world, for damn sure."
Gerald: "Oooh that sounds like a fun thing to preview."
Zane‘ reflexive throat-cutting twitch.
Gerald` heads on back and into the nearest fog.
Zane` heads into 10 with the others.
Everything is colored in monochrome. You stand on the deck of a great seafaring vessel, except the area has been converted into the site of a grand party. Dozens of guests move about in amusement, sharing laughter and casual conversation alike. The familiar face of Stover Delft emerges from the crowd and he snags one of your arms.
Delft: "Do me a favor and go make sure the Duchess isn’t 'sleeping through' the king's speech in order to embarrass her brother."
Suddenly, the back of the ship erupts in a great burst of gray and black flame. Eyes seethe with hunger as the fire coalesces into a two misshapen, four-legged beasts clad in steel skin, both rushing down to consume those on the deck.
Zane: "Whoa whoa this is NOT how that went down at all!"
Phyllis: "Neither was the other vision."

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License