Zg Session 69

Aleith|DM: At the beginning of the month, you received a letter from Alexander Grappa, the Obscuarti's 'Mindmaker', who told you he was inhabiting the subconscious of Leone Quital, the 'Steelshaper', after your tussle with him under Cauldron Hill two seasons ago. Grappa knows about a convocation, through Leone, that the Obscurati is holding on the 79th of Autumn, and Delft charged you with capturing Leone, and getting Grappa's help to get you inside that gathering.
Aleith|DM: You've spent the last few weeks working with Ber's spymaster, El Extraño, to track down Leone, from Alais Primos to Mirsk, in the northern parts of Drakr, and this afternoon attacked him shortly after his train pulled in at the city's station.
Aleith|DM: Autumn 23rd
Aleith|DM: The cottage you've found on the outskirts of a large corn field seems to have been lived in by an elf rather than a dwarf, as there isn't a piece of metal to be found nearby or in the construction, not even a nail. [Inexplicable Narration]
Phyllis: "And … now what? Pull our prey out of the web and wait?"
Gerald: "Not much else to do, yeah?"
Zane‘ is tossing the ball of enchanted webbing back and forth between his hands. "Probably. With no metal around he should be prety simple to restrain and interrogate. And once fatigue takes its toll, we deal with Grappa."
Phyllis: "Are there any other precautions we should take? Mage cuffs, at the least."
Aleith|DM: The non-metal ones Delft provided you with, at Grappa’s recommendation, yes.
Zane: "Well yeah."
Zane‘ starts unfurling the webbing. "And if he gets too rambunctious I’ll just put him to sleep myself."
Phyllis: "And after that, Tenser's Binding, Mark of Justice, any number of - restraints."
Zane: "Sometimes I wonder about your hobbies."
Garrett: "I don't, seems pretty straightforward to me."
Zane‘ soon has one Leone Quital face down on the floor in non-metalic mage cuffs.
Aleith|DM: It’s not all that difficult. He struggles a bit, but you've got leverage.
Chandrasekhar: "If you have to wonder, you're not paying enough attention."
Gerald: "Hi again."
Leone: "Now, now-" He grunts. "Let's be civilized here, yes?"
Zane‘ smiles. "My people invinted civilization. And obsidian weapons."
Gerald: "Sounds like a plan."
Leone: "Ber’s only been civilized for a few decades."
Gerald‘ pulls out a bottle of wine from Leone’s vinyard from the inside of his coat, then pops the top off and starts drinking directly from the bottle.
Zane‘ snorts. "Only according to some. So, tell us about Borne."
Leone: "Oh. My. Gods. You heathen!"
Chandrasekhar lets his mouth crack open in a smile. Let’s be honest, he was waiting for that reaction.
Leone: "You've already got Oddcog, didn't you? I'm sure you know plenty about Borne already."
Gerald: "? Oh did you want some too?" Gerald sloowly pulls the bottle out of his mouth, then offers it in Leone's direction.
Zane: "Did you ever try and have a conversation with Oddcog?"
Leone: "Many."
Leone: "He eventually gets to the point."
Zane: "I can only assume he was less crazy back then. Anyway we know a lot of technical specs. What we really want to know is why."
Leone gives a shrug. "I would like to know that too."
Chandrasekhar: "I'm sure you have some theories."
Zane: "You expect me to believe you put all that time and money and effort into that thing, and you never asked your boss what it was for?"
Leone: "Doesn't mean they told me."
Phyllis: "That does tend to be the way of the Obscurati, Zane."
Phyllis: "Put faith in the plan. Trust that your superiors have your best interests at heart."
Phyllis: "Utter folly."
Zane: "Man. I have to find out what sort of drugs they slip you people and how."
Leone: "All I know is that it's more tool than weapon. It's not like we built cannons or mortars into the thing."
Zane: "Who needs cannons? it just skips the foreplay and eats souls directly."
Gerald: "See I can buy that for some people,"
Gerald: "A businessman like you though?"
Gerald: "Horseshit. Someone told you something that made you buy into the plan."
Phyllis: "It makes sense for someone like Ottavia, yes."
Chandrasekhar: "A tool for doing what? What would Borne, and only Borne, be capable of?"
Phyllis: "Lya, even."
Leone: "A tool to change the world."
Phyllis nods at Chandra. "You and I have our theories, but…"
Leone: "Search me on how, though."
He gives another shrug.
Garrett‘ sits down and just puts his face in his hands.
Phyllis: "What kind of changes do you want to see? Spell it out for me a little."
Phyllis: "Personally, I mean."
Leone: "More power, of course. For myself."
Phyllis rolls her eyes. "But while a pawn may be promoted to a better piece, it is never promoted to a player of the game."
Phyllis: "Who brought you in?"
Gerald: "Aaand any desire to keep this guy alive just vanished."
Gerald` sighs, finished off the rest of the bottle.
Leone: "Like I would tell you."
Phyllis: "That troublesome geas, I suppose?"
Leone: "That’s part of it."
Zane: "Yeah, I'm sure you're right. I mean, Borne is already done and walking around, I'm sure they still have plenty of use for you now…"
Phyllis tightens one of her gloves. "Rest assured, we're on our way to developing ways around it. In the meantime, we'll just have to wait."
Leone bristles. "I have plenty to do still."
Zane: "Mm, like…?"
Leone: "Why else would they supply me with money to build those train cars and that golem? But no, I won't fill you in."
[OOC] Aleith|DM: *those two golems
Leone: "And wait for what?"
Zane: "Alright, I'm getting tired of doing things the nice way. Anybody object if I just knock him out and let Phyllis peel his mind like an onion?"
Gerald: "Not from me."
Garrett: "We're on a timetable, so."
Phyllis: "Sweet dreams, Mr. Quital."
Leone growls.
Chandrasekhar smiles in assent. "We gave you a choice, friend."
Zane‘ just leans in and applies pressure to the sides of Leones throat. "Just a little bit of this and its nap time."
Aleith|DM: How long would that knock him out for, roughly?
Phyllis: "Lot of good the train cars and golems did."
Phyllis: "If they really cared about you, they’d have done more."
[OOC] Zane: If I sink the choke just right, he could be out for a good half hour, maybe a little longer. More than that and I have to physically rattle his brain. Which I mean… I can do…
Aleith|DM: Half an hour later, some of the metal buttons on Gerald's jacket fly lose, but then fall as Leone flinches with pain from the mage cuffs. "Damn you!" he growls again.
Aleith|DM: Somehow, you don't think knocking him out is going to let Grappa out.
Garrett: "We could smoke him up a bit. Muddle his mental faculties with a bit of feyweed, see if that pushes his consiousness back."
Gerald: "You're lucky I don't ever actually button this."
Phyllis: "Morning, sunshine."
Gerald: "Not a bad plan."
Phyllis: "I take it you haven't had a change of heart yet."
Leone: "Rot in hell."
Zane‘ smiles. "Well, that’s a promising start."
Phyllis: "Should I tighten the restraints?"
Phyllis: "Are you aware of the demoness, Ashima-Shimtu?"
Zane: "Whoa, pulling out the big guns."
Leone: "No. Should I care?"
Zane: "You know on the one hand the fact that the Ob is so compartmentalized is fascinating, as an exercise in security. On the other hand, I really hate hitting all these dead, or soon-to-be-dead ends."
Chandrasekhar: "Heh. Heheh."
Phyllis: "You share a similar predicament as her. If you're to make it through this, I merely suggest that you follow her example."
Phyllis: "If the 'big guns' are ceaseless tedium and boredom, sure. Left chained up, with nothing to do, left stewing with your own thoughts. Either you can dwell on your fate and suffer, or meditate to try and overcome it - if only in the sense that you learn to ignore it."
Phyllis then just sits nearby, staring, saying nothing. Just waiting.
Aleith|DM: You don't really get anything of use out of Leone, but after a few hours he drifts off to sleep. Several minutes later he wakes but up, but starts stammering and slurring. After a few minutes, he manages to speak properly. "It's Alexander Grappa. Thanks for coming, constables."
Garrett: "Thank goodness. This is much faster than the golemspeak."
Chandrasekhar blinks into awareness from whatever odd meditation he was in the middle of, raises an eyebrow. "Our pleasure. In a manner of speaking."
Zane: "Hey I got to needle Leone for a little while, I'm having a blast. Nice to see you again, Grappa."
Grappa: "Ugh. Yes. That was quite tedious. Careful, though. I can move fine….well, aside from the restraints….but any sudden jolt could wake Leone, and I'm completely unable to fight for dominance when the man is conscious."
Zane: "Guess you'd better be quick with the directions then."
Gerald: "So remind me again why I'm not immediately shooting you for skipping out on us at the last minute and, by all apperances, selling us out?"
Grappa: "Selling you out? While I did slip away from you in that facility, I was trying to make sure Leone was dead. Sadly, he wasn't, and he crushed that golem, much like my body."
Grappa: "Now, one of the things I was able to discover towards the end of my time with my previous employers was that they were working with a group of frost giants based in the tower city of Knütpara, trapped over a thousand years ago in a massive glacier."
Gerald: "Did you… did you honestly think going up against him, in a metal body, was going to work out any differently? And it wouldn't have been safer to continue leading us? Or are you in fact an idiot."
He rolls Leone's eyes.
Phyllis: "Gerald."
Gerald: "I'm just saying, we deal with a lot of untrustworthy people."
Grappa: "Would you kindly shut up so I can finish explaining?"
Gerald: "I'll fill you away as an idiot for now, sure."
[OOC] Gerald: file^
Chandrasekhar pats Gerald on the shoulder consolingly.
Grappa: "I only managed to investigate it a bit before I failed to make my escape, but I did learn that there's a frost giant lich whose phylactery was lost in that city, and that the last time he was destroyed a few centuries ago, he apparently reformed stuck in the ice."
Grappa: "The lich's specialty was ripping souls out of people and planting other souls into the shells of their bodies, mostly as a service for allies of the Demonocracy, to let them be immortal, or so that they could infiltrate groups opposed to the demons. It was apparently quite effective, and could even fool magical detection."
Zane‘ starts chuckling.
Grappa: "I theorized that my former employers were trying to free the lich, but before sending my letter to you, I performed a divination and learned that the lich is still trapped in the ice. The other frost giants found him, but apparently haven’t dug him out yet."
Chandrasekhar: "…I wonder if you could teach that skill. Mild curiosity."
Grappa: "I risked only two Sending rituals while trapped in Leone's body. The first was to contact Tinker Oddcog. The second was to ask if the lich would share his knowledge of soul transfer, and it agreed, on the condition that I free it."
"Do not doubt my intentions," Grappa says at this point. "We shall definitely destroy him once we get what we want. I’d hate to loose some ancient evil being on the world."
Zane‘ looks at Grappa.
Garrett: "Something something untrustworthy people."
Zane: "As opposed to one you helped build, right?"
Gerald: "Do not doubt my intentions, said no person with nothing to hide, ever."
Grappa: "I wouldn’t call Borne 'evil', though he's likely misguided."
Grappa: "I'm sure we can find out more about what they're planning to do with him once we can sneak into the convocation."
Gerald: "Does this sound like a good idea to even a single one of you?"
Zane: "Yeah. But only because I get to fight a bunch of giants and a lich."
Gerald: "I said good idea, not a fun time!:
Chandrasekhar: "So it -is- a teachable skill. Fascinating. What else does the lich know, I wonder."
Chandrasekhar: "A pity about the 'ancient evil' part of the deal."
Zane: "Oh. In that case."
Zane‘ handwobbles.
Grappa: "My former employers are sure to be cautious to the point of paranoia, and I can’t think of any other way to reach their secret meeting."
Phyllis: "Grappa led us to Borne in the first place. If that wasn't the case, he would have awoken with us caught much more flatfooted."
Grappa: "I'm sure they'll be on the lookout for any kind of illusion magics."
Phyllis: "I understand being paranoid, but if you follow your particular mistrust of him, it doesn't follow his actions."
Chandrasekhar: "They'd be foolish not to. And while we do have prior proof of their foolishness…"
Gerald: "I mean you say that, but that also had us enter a plane more or less ruled over by our enemies, into a secret lair, filled with many traps and things which attempted to kill us."
Chandrasekhar: "And we survived."
Chandrasekhar: "…anyways, I'd like to have a chat with this lich. And you said the Ob were trying to free him? Sounds like a chance to scuttle their plans."
Grappa: "I don't know if they're planning to free him or not, but they're definitely up to something there."
Garrett: "I mean, we did see that coming though. The whole infiltration bit."
Chandrasekhar: "Up to 'something' is up to no good."
Chandrasekhar: "Think of it this way, Gerald. If this turns out to have been a terrible decision, you'll get to tell _all_ of us that you told us so."
Grappa: "Leone's going to be escorting nine people to the convocation, leaving from Mirsk on the 75th. We'll be able to sneak you into those numbers if we can get that ability from the lich."
Zane: "OK Gerald, hows this. Since we're not operating on our home soil, I give you full permission as senior officer to murder the shit out of Grappa if he betrays us. And you'll get to take Leone with him as an added bonus."
Gerald: "Done deal."
Zane‘ smiles. "There we go then. Everybody behaves, and nobody but Leone gets hurt."
Phyllis: "… Conversely. Speaking of a ’plane more or less ruled by our enemies.'"
Phyllis: "You're aware of where souls travel through after death, right?"
Grappa: "I'd rather you didn't hurt Leone too much before we see the lich. Someone's going to have to take his place."
Garrett: "I've heard of out-of-body experiences, but this is ridiculous," he deadpans, drumming up a rimshot with his knuckles.
Grappa: "But keep him in line, sure."
Chandrasekhar snorts, stares at Garrett.
Chandrasekhar grins.
Zane: "I don't think he'll be too much of a problem."
Zane‘ pats the ball of spiderweb. "In fact, he’ll sleep the whole way there."
Grappa: "What's that?"
Zane: "A low down, dirty trick."
Grappa: "Probably a good idea."
Zane: "Yeah. I don't really trust the guy I got it from, but it passed its test run with flying colors. Anyway, if this goes well we wont see you again until we're in frost giant territory."
Grappa: "Anyway, if that's going to be the case, the city of Knütpara lies further north in the Shawl Mountains, about a three-day trek from Mirsk. I was able to find out that three towers still rise above the level of the glacier, and a river has carved a rift in the glacier between them. Several years of excavation have brought them near the lich."
Zane: "The real question is 'is there a way for us to talk past the giants or are we going to have to murder them all?'"
Garrett: "Well, what does a frost giant want?"
Zane: "probably 'to not bleed to death in the snow' but people always get mad when you point that out."
Garrett: "Then I think you answered your own question."
Garrett: "Just try not to track their blood in the snow."
Phyllis: After this conversation, Phyllis at least heads into town to peruse rituals for purchase, trading in some residuum in place of harder currency.
Phyllis: And this is probably how she learns Endure Elements.
Aleith|DM: Sure.
Zane: "So one last thing. Just for clarity sake."
Zane: "When we get there, the lich is gonna stick Leone in the liches old body, yes? Presumably this means the lich will then land in Leones body. Which still leaves your ass in the wind, since we'll then have to fight leones body to kill the lich?"
Grappa: "No, the idea is to have the lich remove Leone's soul from his body while leaving mine in it to take possession."
Zane: "Aha. OK. And then we fight the lich after we bust it loose."
Grappa nods. "Yes, after he's giving us the information on the soul transfer as well."
Aleith|DM: Knütpara lies about 20 miles north-east of Mirsk, but in the mountainous and icy terrain it’s difficult to traverse more than 8 miles in a day. Each day, pick someone to take the lead, make a Perception check to find the best route through the mountains, and a Nature check to guide you safely through.
Zane: "I'll level with you. I expect him to try and betray us as soon as we let him out of the ice. Which is why I want him to deal with you and Leone first, then we let him out, then he tries to betray us, then we kill him. SO you're probably not gonna get your soul-swapping lessons."
Garrett: "What in the world are we going to do with our own bodies after that, anyhow. Hole up at an inn and tell the servers 'do not disturb no matter what sounds you hear, because it's exactly what you think it is, a hilarious sex party.'"
Chandrasekhar: "I'll bring an entire -bale- of feyweed, they won't question anything."
Grappa: "If this web of yours is to be believed, you could probably stick them in there and have them on hand."
Grappa: "Failing that, gentle repose would work to keep them stable."
[OOC] Aleith|DM: *should
Garrett: "I don't know, my plan's starting to grow on me." Then he drops the sarcasm. "But, hm. It'll shake out in a synthesis of ways, yeah, probably."
Phyllis: "That … would have to be Ernst, if it comes to it."
Zane: "Man… Using someone elses body. That's just… ugh. Not OK on so many different levels."
Phyllis: "Really? Do you think it's an acclimation problem, or something more fundamental than that?"
Garrett‘ glances at Phyllis.
Gerald: "Fucking Eschatologist, man."
Garrett: "He just got his comfy in the way he likes it, like a good pillow."
Chandrasekhar: "I like when your competing definitions of ’practicality' come into conflict."
Zane‘ looks like he just bit into an entire basket of lemons. "I’m just not OK with… I mean I joke about it because Leone's a prick but its still an awful thing to do."
Grappa: "It is an awful thing to do, I agree. But when 'Leone' shows up at the convocation fine, fellow travellers behind him, no one is going to be the wiser."
Phyllis: "Is it the act itself, or the means that someone such as a lich normally pursues?"
Chandrasekhar: "The act itself. Remember Beran thoughts on mind control."
Zane: "This is like that only worse."
Chandrasekhar: "It is… distasteful. But one does what one must in order to survive."
Phyllis: "And you know my feelings on it already, given the arguments I presented at the trial."
Phyllis shrugs.
Zane: "You're not just bending someones will. You're supplanting them completely and that's horrifying. You're one of Gradiax's toys except you have skipped the metal body. I'll help Grappa, but… beyond that?"
Chandrasekhar: "…kill them first. They are our enemies, and that of Risur. After that…? The body is meat."
Garrett: "That means no headshots."
Zane: "Risur is on my shit list right now anyway, Singh. I'm not going to sell my soul for this job."
Zane: "Which is an uncomfortably accurate expression."
Grappa: "We can figure this out once we've got the means from the lich. We're ahead of schedule, so we should have several weeks to figure out if there's an alternative before Leone's contacts start showing up."
Zane‘ nods and lets his head thump back against the wall. "Shoulda bought more booze while I was in town."
Grappa: "Alright. Any last questions before you stuff this body into another plane and start prepping for a mountain hike?"
Gerald` pulls a flask out of the other side of his coat and tosses it to Zane.
Zane` unscrews the top and kills about a quarter of it. "Thanks." He nods to Grappa. "OK, putting you back in the web if nobody else has anything. See you in a few days."
’Leone' nods.
Zane: "Anybody else?"
Phyllis: "Nothing for now."
Chandrasekhar: "In my defense, they're the enemies of the entire _world_. That said, I'll… try to think of alternatives."
Zane‘ rolls Leone back up into the web. "Heh. Come into my parlour. I kinda like this thing. I gotta figure out how to get one of my own."
Aleith|DM: Autumn 24
Aleith|DM: Who’s leading the way? Gerald or Phyllis have the best set of Perception/Nature.
Aleith|DM: And no, this definitely isn't going to count as an urban environment.
Gerald‘ can do the first round first, sure.
[OOC] Garrett: I feel targeted by this entire module >:(
Gerald` rolled d20+19 and got 20 ( Total: 39 ) for perception
Aleith|DM: you auto-pass that
Aleith|DM: Roll Nature.
[OOC] Zane: get EXTREMELY fucked, son
[OOC] Aleith|DM: It’s DC 20
[OOC] Gerald: oh if I auto pass perception that 20 was my nature roll, -7 from the 19 to get to +12!!
Aleith|DM: sure
Aleith|DM: Everyone make an Endurance check.
Garrett‘ rolled 1d20+8 and got 16 ( Total: 24 ) for FEELING VERY TARGETED BY THIS ENTIRE MODULE
Gerald` rolled d20+13 and got 11 ( Total: 24 )
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 16:Zane | 12:Phyllis | 11:Chandrasekhar |
Chandrasekhar rolled d20+14 and got 19 ( Total: 33 )
Zane: 35 [Belt of Endurance]
Phyllis rolled d20+11 and got 15 ( Total: 26.0 )
Aleith|DM: Alright. You have no troubles the first day aside from the cold, and that’s what endure elements is for.
Aleith|DM: Autumn 25
Aleith|DM: Another Nature check, Gerald? You're good at finding the right route at least.
Gerald‘ rolled d20+13 and got 8 ( Total: 21 ) for why does D&D want so many fucking rolls
Aleith|DM: Alright. Endurance checks again. Zane, Gerald, you auto-pass the DC14 (since both perception/nature passed)
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 13:Garrett | 12:Phyllis | 11:Chandrasekhar |
Phyllis rolled d20+11 and got 14 ( Total: 25.0 )
Garrett` rolled 1d20+8 and got 4 ( Total: 12 )
Aleith|DM: Chandra?
[OOC] Zane: singh has +15 he should also pass IIRC
Aleith|DM: Says +12 on the Comparisons page
[OOC] Zane: Oh then I guess that roll was a typo shuttin up now
Chandrasekhar rolled d20+14 and got 7 ( Total: 21 ) for pants
Aleith|DM: Alright. Garrett, your rope starts to fray during a climb up an icy cliff, although you’re at the bottom of the group so at least nobody is imperiled…?
Aleith|DM: You're going to need to make an Athletics check to climb to safety, or else fall.
Garrett‘ rolled 1d20+16 and got 4 ( Total: 20 ) for athletics
Zane` will help his boy out. [Wall Crawlers guild training]
Aleith|DM: The others can help you, but their ’Aid Another' DC is 20, and if they fail by 5 or more they'll be imperiled too.
Phyllis can probably help with [Arcane Gate], too?
Zane‘ rolled d20+20 and got 19 ( Total: 39 )
Aleith|DM: Alright. With Zane’s assistance, Garrett doesn't fall right away, and Phyllis has enough time to setup an Arcane Gate for him to fall into-and onto the top of the cliff.
[OOC] Aleith|DM: The Atheltics DC was 29 >_>
[OOC] Zane: damn son!
Aleith|DM: That's a hard DC at this level!
Aleith|DM: Aside from that one scare, though, you make good progress the rest of the day.
Aleith|DM: Autumn 26
Aleith|DM: Nature check, Gerald?
Gerald‘ rolled d20+13 and got 16 ( Total: 29 ) for i blame phyllis
Aleith|DM: Alright. Endurance checks for Garrett and Phyllis.
Phyllis rolled d20+11 and got 2 ( Total: 13.0 )
Garrett` rolled 1d20+8 and got 20 ( Total: 28 )
Aleith|DM: Whoops. Phyllis accidentally sets off an avalanche.
Aleith|DM: The rest of you are fine, but….
Phyllis: It’s a brand new day. [Arcane Gate], [Shield], [Bracers of Mental Might], any combination of things that uh. that leave her less dead
Aleith|DM: The Gate is enough to get you out of the path of the avalanche.
Gerald: "…"
Aleith|DM: A bit of snow follows you through before you close it, but you make it out the other side okay.
Gerald: "I thought you guys were supposed to be good with the cold?!"
Garrett: "Who told you that?"
Phyllis: "I think he meant 'dwarves.'"
Chandrasekhar: "What part of that wasn't 'good'?"
Chandrasekhar: "That's the trick, you just 'port your way out of an avalanche."
Gerald: "The part where HALF A DAMN MOUNTAIN FELLS DOWN, Chandra!"
Phyllis: "And I'm not actually from here, if you'll remember."
Zane: "We just assume you're from everywhere, Ursinho."
Aleith|DM: It's early afternoon when the gaps between the mountains become choked with glaciers a hundred feet thick or more. You come across centuries-old ruins of the pre-Clergy civilization, including, at the entrance to what was once the city's valley, a stone pillar carved with words in Infernal.
Aleith|DM: Ernst can read them as saying 'Gaze ye upon Knütpara, eternal bastion of the Demonocracy, built to withstand any army's siege.'
Aleith|DM: Beyond lies a seemingly trackless glacier, obscured by snow drifts and hazy white winds.
Zane: "Good thing we're not trying to siege this place then."
Aleith|DM: History check, Zane?
Aleith|DM: Or Phyllis.
Zane‘ rolled d20+12 and got 2 ( Total: 14 )
Zane` is too goddamned cold to remember.
Phyllis rolled 2#d20+18(1) and got 16 ( Total: 34.0 ) for Insightful Councillor, roll twice take higher
Also rolled 2#d20+18(2) and got 4 [Total: 22.0 (Low), Avg: 4.00]
Total: 56.0, Avg: 10.00
Gerald: "Huh."
[OOC] Phyllis: oh also +2 more for Headband of Intellect’s property. +2 item bonus to knowledge rolls.
Aleith|DM: You remember that Triegenes damned this city centures ago fighting against the Demonocracy, calling down flaming stones from the heavens to strike it down.
Aleith|DM: After a bit of looking around, you do find a stream though, which should lead you in the right direction.
Phyllis: "Not that there's much left to siege, really. This site was struck by heavenly bodies called down by Triegenes. Much more potent than cannon fire."
Aleith|DM: Soon enough, totems spaced a few hundred feet apart start to appear around the glacier, including alongside the stream.
Aleith|DM: The totems appear to be skulls mounted on poles, with something red streaming from the human, dwarf, and animal mouths.
Zane‘ looks them over. "Well that’s… something."
Aleith|DM: It's frozen red entrails dribbling from their mouths.
Gerald: "It's sort of impressive in how well preserved that gross out effect is."
Chandrasekhar: "…lovely."
Garrett: "Really gets the message across."
Phyllis: "'Eternal bastion' indeed."
Zane: "I've had mornings like that…"
Aleith|DM: You start to see some kind of structures in the distance, off a bit to the right of the stream, but you can more easily make out two giants and two large bears making their way towards you.
Aleith|DM: Any plans?
Zane‘ steps forward in plain view. Holy shit he speaks Giant! "Hey guys! How’s it going?"
Gerald: "Oh sure, get on MY case, but it's totally cool if YOU do it."
Aleith|DM: As they get closer, you see they aren't leading a couple of bears, exactly, on chains. They seem to be some kind of hideous creature without skin, just muscle and blood, wearing bear pelts.
Giant A: "You're intruding on our territory. Leave at once."
[OOC] Aleith|DM: in giant, of course
Garrett: "That's… one hell of a jacket." He isn't quite sure how best to joke about it.
Zane‘ asides to Gerald. "I have better people skills." Back to the giants. "Actually, we’re here about that lich… Are you trying to free it?"
Aleith|DM: The giants point their spears at you…well, they were already pointing them, so they're doing it more menacingly now. "No. Go away."
Gerald: "I'm still not impressed, Zane!"
Zane‘ puts his hands up. "We’re not here to fight. The undead has knowledge that we need. We'd be happy to offer a little trade to see it, not that we have much."
Giant B: "We're not letting near the Old One. Turn around now, or die."
[OOC] Aleith|DM: letting you near
Giant A: "I'm sure my friend here would enjoy chewing on your bones."
Zane: "Yeah they probably would. The problem is… if it really comes to a fight, you're going to lose. So I'm trying to be reasonable. Its nothing personal, we just need to see the Old One."
The giants look at each other, then drop the chains for their 'deathbears'. "Intruders die."
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 24:Chandrasekhar | 24:Gerald | 22:Zane | 21:Ranger B | 21:Deathbear B | 20:Phyllis | 19:Garrett | 16:Deathbear A | 10:Ranger A |
Garrett: !Roll 1d10
Garrett‘ rolled 1d10 and got 3 ( Total: 3 )
Garrett: !Roll 1d20
Garrett` rolled 1d20 and got 3 ( Total: 3 )
Gerald: "I KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS!"
Aleith|DM: A 3 on a D10 isn’t much different from a 6 on a d20 anyway.
Aleith|DM: Chandrasekhar! Gerald!
Phyllis: "You tried."
Gerald: "I feel like I'm a lot better at that than you are after all, Zane!"
Zane‘ shrugs. "Negotiations broke down."
Chandrasekhar: "Zane, I didn’t quite catch that last bit…"
Gerald‘ dashes forward, pulling his shotgun out as he marks Deathbear A as his quarry, then unloads a [Twin-Fanged Strike] into it.
Gerald` rolled 2#d20+22(1) and got 10 ( Total: 32 )
Also rolled 2#d20+22(2) and got 9 [Total: 31]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 63
Gerald` rolled 2#d20+22(1) and got 13 ( Total: 35 )
Also rolled 2#d20+22(2) and got 15 [Total: 37]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 72
Aleith|DM: Hits!
Gerald` rolled 3d8+14 and got 7, 1, 2 ( Total: 24 ) for i included the autofire damage this time since only one dude got hit by it
Also rolled 3d8+14 and got 1, 2, 5 [Total: 22]
Also rolled 2d8+11 and got 2, 3 [Total: 16]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 62
Chandrasekhar invokes the [Spirit of the Virtuous Charger] and rushes Deathbear B! [Charge, Ardent Strike]
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 52!
Aleith|DM: Bloodied!
Chandrasekhar rolled d20+22 and got 8 ( Total: 30 ) for vs. AC, divine sanction
Aleith|DM: Hit!
Chandrasekhar rolled d8+15 and got 4 ( Total: 19 )
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 19!
Aleith|DM: Zane!
Zane` moves carefully over the ice, putting the bear between him and the giant before firing an arrow into the demonic thing. [RBA]
Zane` rolled d20+20 and got 3 ( Total: 23 )
Aleith|DM: Miss!
Aleith|DM: Deathbear B shuffles slightly to the side [Shift, it has Ice Walk], before swiping its forelimb at Chandrasekhar! [Cursed Maul]
Aleith|DM rolled d20+21 and got 1 ( Total: 22 )
Aleith|DM: Missing!
Aleith|DM: Frost Giant Ranger B steps forward and stabs at Chandrasekhar with his Icebreaker Spear!
Aleith|DM rolled d20+22 and got 14 ( Total: 36 )
Aleith|DM rolled 3d10+9 and got 9, 4, 4 ( Total: 26.0 )
Aleith|DM: Hitting for 26! The snow billows up from the impact, but quickly settles.
Aleith|DM: Phyllis!
Phyllis hits Deathbear A with an [Illusory Ambush.] An image of the heavens opening up, a meteor falling -
Phyllis rolled d20+21 and got 11 ( Total: 32.0 ) for vs Will
Aleith|DM: Hit!
Phyllis rolled d6+16 and got 2 ( Total: 18.0 )
[OOC] Phyllis: -2 tohit UEoPNT
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 18!
Aleith|DM: Garrett!
Garrett` deactivates his dagger with a simple command word [Free Action - frost damage->normal damage] and dashes forward- he moves about 30 feet, and then blinks away in an instant, finding himself next to Deathbear A! [Vaulting Charge]
Garrett` rolled 1d20+25 and got 7 ( Total: 32 ) for vs Ref
Garrett` rolled 3d4+15 and got 1, 1, 2 ( Total: 19 )
Also rolled 3d8 and got 4, 8, 6 [Total: 18]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 37
Garrett` is ready for any follow-up attacks! [+6 AC UEoNT]
[OOC] Aleith|DM: KO!
Aleith|DM: Ranger A circles around and shouts at Garrett. The wind blasts you back and freezes around you! [Killing Roar]
Aleith|DM rolled 2#d20+20(1) and got 1 ( Total: 21.0 ) for vs Fort, Chandrasekhar and Garrett
Also rolled 2#d20+20(2) and got 6 [Total: 26.0 (Low), Avg: 6.00]
Total: 47.0, Avg: 3.50
Garrett` springs away! [Immediate Interrupt - Acrobat’s Escape]
Aleith|DM: Missing Chandrasekhar!
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 24:Chandrasekhar | 24:Gerald | 22:Zane | 21:Ranger B | 21:Deathbear B | 20:Phyllis | 19:Garrett | 10:Ranger A |
Aleith|DM: Chandrasekhar! Gerald!
Gerald: "…That insideout bear is down, right?"
Phyllis: "For the time being, but."
Chandrasekhar roars in defiance, a burning sun amidst the snow and ice! [Knight's Defiance - pull CB5, divine sanction (save ends), melee attack]
Garrett: "It may not be out, yeah."
Phyllis: "Consider where we are and what arts they use."
Chandrasekhar stabs Ranger A, also, prayed for Virtue before that.
Chandrasekhar rolled d20+21 and got 6 ( Total: 27 ) for vs. AC
Gerald‘ takes a step forward, then unloads a [Biting Volley] into Ranger A after marking it as his [Quarry], briefly confused as it goes flyig towards Chandra, but recovers in time to correct his arc.
Gerald` rolled 2#d20+21(1) and got 10 ( Total: 31 ) for vs ref
Also rolled 2#d20+21(2) and got 8 [Total: 29]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 60
Gerald` rolled 2#d20+21(1) and got 8 ( Total: 29 ) for vs ref
Also rolled 2#d20+21(2) and got 2 [Total: 23]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 52
Aleith|DM: 2 hits! 1 hit!
Gerald` rolled 3d8+14 and got 1, 8, 6 ( Total: 29 )
Also rolled 3d8+14 and got 7, 3, 1 [Total: 25]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 54
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 54!
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 12!] [12!
Aleith|DM: Zane!
Zane` steps back and grabs a handful of arrows out of his quiver, firing rapidly at the knot of enemies. [RBA, spending 2 combat dice to make it area burst 1 on Singh so I tap all three]
Zane` rolled 3#1d20+20(1) and got 5 ( Total: 25.0 ) for giants then bear
Also rolled 3#1d20+20(2) and got 12 [Total: 32.0 (High), Avg: 12.00]
Also rolled 3#1d20+20(3) and got 4 [Total: 24.0 (Low), Avg: 4.00]
Total: 81.0, Avg: 7.00
Aleith|DM: Miss! Hit! Miss!
[OOC] Zane: well thats giant B at least
Zane` rolled 3d8+10 and got 6, 1, 5 ( Total: 22.0 )
Aleith|DM: Deathbear B tries to maul Chandrasekhar again!
Aleith|DM rolled d20+23 and got 8 ( Total: 31 ) for Flanking
Aleith|DM rolled 2d6+5 and got 1, 1 ( Total: 7.0 )
Aleith|DM: 7 damage, and 10 ongoing damage (SE) as the beast clamps its fangs over your shoulder and sinks fangs into your flesh. It pulls away and blood pours freely.
Chandrasekhar: "Augh-"
Aleith|DM: Ranger B steps back a step and stabs at Chandrasekhar again.
Aleith|DM rolled d20+22 and got 11 ( Total: 33 )
Aleith|DM rolled 3d10+9 and got 6, 1, 10 ( Total: 26.0 )
Aleith|DM: Hitting for 26 again!
Aleith|DM rolled 2#d20(1) and got 2 ( Total: 2 ) for saves for Bear B, Ranger B
Also rolled 2#d20(2) and got 10 [Total: 10 (Low), Avg: 10.00]
Total: 12, Avg: 6.00
Aleith|DM: Phyllis!
Phyllis steps up and traps the crowd before her with a [Mesmeric Hold]. (3 targets)
Phyllis: Prefacing that with [Glib Tongue] beforehand as well.
Phyllis rolled 3#d20+23(1) and got 9 ( Total: 32.0 ) for Giants AB, Deathbear B. on-hit = immobilize, on-miss = slow
Also rolled 3#d20+23(2) and got 7 [Total: 30.0 (Low), Avg: 7.00]
Also rolled 3#d20+23(3) and got 19 [Total: 42.0 (High), Avg: 19.00]
Total: 104.0, Avg: 11.67
Phyllis rolled 2d6+16 and got 5, 5 ( Total: 26.0 )
Aleith|DM: I’m assuming that's vs Will
[OOC] Phyllis: Yeah, literally nothing phyllis takes isn't vs will
Aleith|DM: True enough
Aleith|DM: not that it matters much with rolls like that
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 26! Bloodied!] [26!] [26! Bloodied!
Aleith|DM: Garrett!
Chandrasekhar: "Beautiful!"
Garrett‘ circles about for a piercing strike on Ranger A!! [Piercing Strike]
Garrett` rolled 1d20+25 and got 4 ( Total: 29 ) for vs Ref
Aleith|DM: still a hit!
Garrett` rolled 1d4+15 and got 4 ( Total: 19 )
Also rolled 3d8 and got 6, 4, 3 [Total: 13]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 32
Garrett` cuts across his knees! [Low Slash]
Garrett` rolled 1d20+25 and got 6 ( Total: 31 ) for vs Ref
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 32!] Hit!
Garrett` rolled 1d4+19 and got 2 ( Total: 21 )
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 21!
Aleith|DM: Ranger A stabs his spear at Chandrasekhar!
Aleith|DM rolled d20+22 and got 8 ( Total: 30 )
[OOC] Aleith|DM: +2 from flanking
Aleith|DM rolled 3d10+9 and got 2, 4, 3 ( Total: 18.0 )
Aleith|DM: Hitting for 18!
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 24:Chandrasekhar | 24:Gerald | 22:Zane | 21:Ranger B | 21:Deathbear B | 20:Phyllis | 19:Garrett | 10:Ranger A |
Aleith|DM: Chandrasekhar! Gerald!
Chandrasekhar clangs his sword against his shield! [Astral Thunder]
Chandrasekhar rolled 3#d20+18(1) and got 5 ( Total: 23 ) for vs. Fort, A Bear B
Also rolled 3#d20+18(2) and got 3 [Total: 21]
Also rolled 3#d20+18(3) and got 6 [Total: 24]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 68
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: SUCK MY ENTIRE DICK
Gerald` [Twin Strike]s Ranger A.
Gerald` rolled 2#d20+21(1) and got 11 ( Total: 32 )
Also rolled 2#d20+21(2) and got 14 [Total: 35]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 67
Aleith|DM: Hits!
Gerald` rolled 3d8+8 and got 6, 2, 8 ( Total: 24 )
[OOC] Aleith|DM: KO!
Gerald` then shoots the other deathbear.
Gerald` rolled 2#d20+21(1) and got 11 ( Total: 32 )
Also rolled 2#d20+21(2) and got 4 [Total: 25]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 57
Aleith|DM: 1 hit!
Gerald` rolled d8+8 and got 4 ( Total: 12 )
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 12!
Aleith|DM: Zane!
Zane` shakes his head to clear it and fires another arrow at the deadbear. [RBA]
Zane` rolled d20+20 and got 20 ( Total: 40 )
Aleith|DM: Critical!
Zane` kills that shit dead as disco.
Aleith|DM: True enough. [KO!]
Aleith|DM: Ranger B lets loose a Killing Roar!
Aleith|DM rolled 2#d20+20(1) and got 20 ( Total: 40.0 ) for vs Fort, Chandrasekhar, Garrett
Also rolled 2#d20+20(2) and got 17 [Total: 37.0 (High), Avg: 17.00]
Total: 77.0, Avg: 18.50
Aleith|DM rolled 5d6+2 and got 2, 2, 6, 3, 1 ( Total: 16.0 )
Aleith|DM: Dealing 16 cold/thunder damage to Garrett, and 32 cold/thunder damage to Chandrasekhar! Both are pushed back 3 squares, knocked prone, and restrained [Escape DC 24].
Aleith|DM: Phyllis!
Chandrasekhar: "Nnghh-"
Phyllis strides up closer, glares at the last giant with [Emerald Eyes], and lays into the last giant with [Illusory Ambush, AP-> Illusory Ambush].
Phyllis rolled 2#d20+23(1) and got 4 ( Total: 27.0 ) for vs Will, first attack then second
Also rolled 2#d20+23(2) and got 16 [Total: 39.0 (High), Avg: 16.00]
Total: 66.0, Avg: 10.00
Phyllis rolled d6+16 and got 3 ( Total: 19.0 ) for one hit
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 19! Bloodied!
Phyllis: And [-2 tohit UEoPNT!]
Aleith|DM: Garrett!
Garrett` rolled 1d20+19 and got 19 ( Total: 38 ) for acrobatics escape
Aleith|DM: You break free!
Garrett` flings his legs out and spins about, hopping up! [Minor Action, Acrobat Boots - Stand Up From Prone]
Garrett` then hurls his dagger at the remaining Ranger! [Sly Flourish]
Garrett` rolled 1d20+23 and got 4 ( Total: 27 ) for vs AC
Aleith|DM: Miss!
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 24:Chandrasekhar | 24:Gerald | 22:Zane | 21:Ranger B | 20:Phyllis | 19:Garrett |
Aleith|DM: Chandrasekhar! Gerald!
Gerald` takes a few steps forward, marks his new [Quarry[], then lets off a [Twin Shot]
Gerald` rolled 2#d20+21(1) and got 8 ( Total: 29 )
Also rolled 2#d20+21(2) and got 3 [Total: 24]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 53
Gerald` rolled 2#d20+21(1) and got 12 ( Total: 33 )
Also rolled 2#d20+21(2) and got 7 [Total: 28]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 61
Aleith|DM: 1 hit!
Gerald` rolled 3d8+8 and got 5, 2, 5 ( Total: 20 )
Chandrasekhar rolled d20+4 and got 3 ( Total: 7 ) for I’m not very acrobatic OR athletic but hopefully it won't matter
Aleith|DM: The ice surrounding you refuses to budge.
Chandrasekhar gets a [Second Wind] while he's flailing around like an idiot trying to escape at least.
Aleith|DM: Zane!
Gerald: "All yours."
Zane‘ snaps off another another arrow at the last Ranger. [RBA, gonna unload if it hits.]
Zane` rolled d20+20 and got 17 ( Total: 37 )
Aleith|DM: Hit!
Zane` rolled 5d8+10 and got 5, 1, 3, 5, 5 ( Total: 29.0 ) for arrow, attack finesse, brute stance damage die, assassin strike]
Also rolled 4d10 and got 9, 7, 4, 9 [Total: 29 (High), Avg: 7.25]
Total: 58.0, Avg: 5.33
[OOC] Zane: +6 becuase its blodied and I forgot. Also Death Attack I win]
[OOC] Aleith|DM: KO!
Aleith|DM: So much for that patrol.
[OOC] Aleith|DM: The party proceeds to pull Ernst out of the absurdist web and heals up before stuff him back in there.
[OOC] Zane: rofl
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: for actual real? :D
Aleith|DM: Chandrasekhar manages to pull himself from the ice encasing him with a bit of help.
[OOC] Aleith|DM: Maybe lol
Chandrasekhar: "Ugh. Those weren’t messing around…"
Zane: "Yeah. I warned 'em though."
Garrett: "…do we care about leaving these…" He gestures with a dagger towards the deathbeasts. "-things, in one piece?"
Gerald‘ considered Garrett a moment, then blasts their brains out just to be sure.
Zane: "I was gonna bury ’em in the snow just to keep the next patrol from finding them, but other than that?" He shrugs.
Phyllis: "It's not based on much, but - you're afraid they'll rise up again?"
Garrett‘ gives a thumbs up to Gerald.
Garrett: "They were wearing bears as coats."
Gerald: "He’s got a point, inside out monsters kind of seem zombie ish."
Zane‘ buries the dead things and the dead-adjacent things under some snowdrifts. "Not perfect, but it’ll have to do."
Garrett: "-Thaaaaaaat's- the kind of thing that makes everyone instantly sober up at the bar retelling."
Phyllis: "Oh, yes, I perfectly agree."
Chandrasekhar: "Better be safe than sorry."
Aleith|DM: Continuing to follow the stream, you eventually come to a cliff where it washes over the side of a rift down 80 feet to a pool below, before it runs out of the ravine to the west. The tops of two towers stick out of the snow at the edge of the ravine to the west on the north side, and one rises up out of the ravine on the south side of it. The ravine continues inwards to the east as well, past the pool.
Garrett: "There's… I wonder if this will work."
Garrett: "The city's dead, but there's no reason it can't speak."
Garrett: "Since when has being dead ever stopped anything?"
Gerald: "You're not actually *on* the peppers yet, right?"
Garrett‘ laughs. "Nah, this is a little different."
Garrett` finds a column, however weathered, however broken. A tile, a brick, a small path. He touches a hand to it and asks if it remembers its paths.
Aleith|DM: Time has changed the layout of the city, and most of it is buried beneath the glacier. Even the towers you see standing in front of you have been forced from their foundations by the inexorable movement of the glacier. But still, paths into the rift, towards the mine(?) at the end present themselves to you.
[OOC] Aleith|DM: http://i.imgur.com/F0IN9jF.jpg
Aleith|DM: Any particular creature(s) you’d like to look for?
Aleith|DM: You're currently standing around area 'D', on the cliff above 'T'.
Garrett‘ asks about the traffic of the area, and also, of a magical being, the lich.
Aleith|DM: The lich is down at the end, trapped in the ice east of ’X'. There seems to be several frost giants a bit above it, in 'V', 5 more hanging out in 'O', 5 of them at the camp on the surface at 'E', and then 5 more patrolling around the area, 1 each at 'G', 'H', 'J', 'L', and 'U'.
Garrett‘ exhales.
Garrett: "Jeez… there’s at least… fifteen more frost giants. Who the fuck knows how may deathbeasts."
Garrett: "We should be careful. Or set a big-ass trap. Or both?"
Chandrasekhar: "I vote both."

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License