Zg Session 64

It's a week after the duplicant attack on the Bruse and yourselves when the fleet is ready to mobilize. Adalid de Guerro leads the fleet as you sail along with on the Roscommon.
It's a few days later when the ships come within sight of Isla dolas Focas.
Divinations show that the Beran fleet is more than a match for the gnolls' defences: 6 ships of the lines, 16 frigates, 10 corvettes, and 8 steamships versus a few frigates, more than a dozen corvettes, and a few caravels is a bit overmatched.
Gerald: "You think he's got the entire island covered in crazy automaton dopplegangers?"
Zane: "I think not for long."
Ernst: "Troublesome."
Garrett: "Just don't put any appendages you care to keep near any trees or suspicious rocks."
Zane: "No trees? But I had such a romantic evening planned…"
Gerald: "Pretty fond of them all, really."
Phyllis: "I'll try to keep the implications of that statement out of my head, Zane."
Phyllis: "Know that I will fail."
Aleith|DM: The navy plans to attack Karch, the main city on the island, after crushing the fleet, embarking their marines while detachments of the fleet go back to get more marines and the ships of the line plan to bombard the city until the reinforcements arrive.
Chandrasekhar: "We've already had more dismemberments than I'd have hoped for in the first place."
Aleith|DM: Meanwhile, the Bruse has asked you to make landfall further down the island, close to the volcano where the duplicant factory has been located.
Aleith|DM: The beran fleet moves to engage the oncoming gnoll fleet.
Garrett: "Happy hunting," he exhales, as the two fleets engage.
Aleith|DM: After the fleets start trading shots (turns out that while the gnolls don't have cannons, they do seem to have some sort of eldrtich fusils), the Roscommon loops around to head around the island, passing through the edge of the ever-present storm system to the west of the island.
Aleith|DM: You do run into a small patrol of ships-a gnoll caravel backed up by four smaller cutters-it barely presents a speedbump despite having you outnumbered. After sinking a couple of the smaller ships, you manage to board the caravel. While the other two ships come around and board you shortly afterwards, the crew of all three ships causes few problems for you.
[OOC] Aleith|DM: The Roscommon is lightly-damaged, and all of you lose 1 healing surge.
[OOC] Aleith|DM: yes I'll count it as an encounter
[OOC] Garrett: love ya
[OOC] Zane: hot
Gerald: "You'd think people living on an island would put a bit more effort into their Navy but…"
Phyllis: "Surrender now and I -won't- charm your navigator to ram this ship against the rocks."
Zane‘ shrugs. "Gnolls."
Garrett: "We can’t all be blessed with a fey-infused navy."
Garrett: "But then they also ran up against some of the most dangerous agents in the world, so really…"
Gerald‘ nods, rifle still out and in his spotter’s nest.
Aleith|DM: After landing ashore (and climbing up the cliff face) it's a five-mile trek to the volcano.
Aleith|DM: Despite the dozens of cazes dotting the volcano's face, between Gerald, Phyllis, and Ernst, it's not hard to figure out that the tunnel with a well-travelled road leading up to it and two large pipes heading in and out-one bringing water in, the other pumping water out-is your entrance.
Gerald: "Oh man it's been a while since I've had a reason to intake pipe entry a building. This'll be fun."
Zane‘ scowls. "I don’t like this.
Gerald: "You got the right boots for it, not that big a deal."
Aleith|DM: The pipes run along the walls of the tunnel, they're not the actual entrance.
Gerald‘ squints. "Oh wait there’s a tunnel. Bah."
Phyllis: "And a road leading up to it. And beside the pipes."
Aleith|DM: The tunnel slopes down gently into the mountain. One water pipe runs on each side of the wall, which is smoothly carved, hung with tapestries, and lit by scented, oil-filled lanterns. A grand carpet, over 100 feet long covers the ground.
Garrett: "(Classy entrance, though. Beats the sheer metal of the golem hideout.)"
Gerald: "I'm just sayin', no one ever checks the pipes. They're run to breach through."
Zane: "I'm tempted to blow the outflow pipe and flood these assholes. If they didnt have potential hostages, I absolutely would."
Gerald: "Yeeeah we're proably ruin a lot of the good will we've earned if we drowned all those kidnapped people."
[OOC] Gerald: we'd^
Gerald: "Holy shit these blow hards, though. Who the fuck rolls out a giant ass carpet like this for a factory entrance? Shit's going to be ruined in under a week."
Garrett: "That and there's no way I'm spending hours swimming about to find Oddcog, and then water-wrestling him into cuffs."
Zane‘ presses his lips together and exhales through his nose. "Lets get it done, then." He pulls the karambit out of his sleeve and starts advancing down the hallway.
Aleith|DM: It’s actually…magically-enchanted to resist damage…? Looks like it's fine.
Phyllis: "I wonder if that's by design, Gerald."
Gerald: "Eh?"
Phyllis: "An expendable HQ."
Phyllis: "I mean, it seems to fit Oddcog's MO."
Gerald: "Oh."
Gerald: "…it IS in a volcano…"
Garrett: "Oh, that's a terrifying thought."
Gerald: "…Gods dammit he's probably got something rigged to make the volcano blow if things take a turn for the worse of him doesn't he."
Zane‘ chuckles. "Bank on it."
Garrett: "What’d be worse- an exploding volcano or an ambulatory volcano."
Gerald: "Uh… gunna go with exploding since I can't even imagine what a walking volcano would be like."
Gerald: "And the fact that we're inside it now."
When you get to the end of the tunnel, the lighting seems to change from oil-lamp to something…cleaner? More white? It still flickers a bit but it's different from lighting you usually see.
The hallway opens into a much larger room. The piping seems to run along the walls of the room into three large tanks on the left side, more pipes running from them into a series of panels up on catwalks in the room. A large hatch sits closed on the ground. The outflow pipe seems to run through an Archimedes screw before heading outwards.
There's also about a dozen gnolls scattered around the room, most of them aiming arrows at you.
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 32:Ernst | 32:Zane | 29:Chandrasekhar | 28:Garrett | 27:Gerald | 18:Phyllis | 18:Cult-Priest A | 16:Archers AB | 13:Archers CD | 13:Archers GH | 11:Archers EF | 11:Archers IJ |
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 32:Ernst | 32:Zane | 31:Garrett | 29:Chandrasekhar | 27:Gerald | 18:Phyllis | 18:Cult-Priest A | 16:Archers AB | 13:Archers CD | 13:Archers GH | 11:Archers EF | 11:Archers IJ |
Aleith|DM: Ernst! Zane!
Gerald: "Oh well while we have their attention anyway…" Gerald glances around, then at the gnolls. "Are these those uh… fuck what were they called again Ernst? Light bowls? Light bows? Light something."
Aleith|DM: There's no actual bulbs
Aleith|DM: They haven't been invented yet!
Aleith|DM: The lighting seems to come from dozens of tiny spark gaps. As electrical currents jump the gap, they buzz and spark and create an eerie flickering white light from the ceiling.
Zane‘ advances slowly into the room. "Nobody has to die today. All we want is to talk to Tinker Oddcog." [Move, Full Defense. Defensive Stance. 6 combat dice]
Aleith|DM: Ernst!
Ernst moves into Zanes spot and shoots Archer J. [Magic Weapon]
Ernst rolled 2#d20+21(1) and got 1 ( Total: 22.0 )
Also rolled 2#d20+21(2) and got 10 [Total: 31.0 (Low), Avg: 10.00]
Total: 53.0, Avg: 5.50
Aleith|DM: 1 Hit!
[OOC] Aleith|DM: KO!
[OOC] Ernst: +2 to hit, +5 dmg for Garrett, Chandra, Gerald
Ernst also places Stocke down.
[OOC] Ernst: Also brutal 1
Aleith|DM: Garrett!
Cult-Priest: "Kill the intruders! For Lord Gradiax!"
Chandrasekhar: "Hm. I suspect the diplomatic approach won’t get us terribly far here."
Garrett: "You tried," he says to Zane, before [Double Moving] towards the catwalk.
Aleith|DM: Chandrasekhar!
Garrett: "By the way, these gnolls are all actual gnolls, but that priest in the back is a duplicant."
Gerald: "Hmm okay."
Chandrasekhar: "Convenient." He steps forward, around the mysterious and deeply untrustworthy hatch, and prays for [Virtue] before closing his eyes and opening them again and sing-screaming a Word, inflicting everything he can see with a [Vision of the Fall] (targeting I)
Chandrasekhar rolled d20+18 and got 2 ( Total: 20 ) for vs. Will
Aleith|DM: Gerald!
[OOC] Phyllis: +2 from Magic weapon?
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: wait hang on
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: RIGHT YES I have +2 to-hit so that's 22 vs. 22 which wins. NEVERMIND. I love you Doman.
Aleith|DM: Boom! You can't see the priest from here, but it wouldn't have punched through the Metal Shell anyway. The archers all combust from divine judgement!
[OOC] Aleith|DM: KO! * 9!
Gerald‘ runs over and up the walkway as the gnoll starts dropping.
Phyllis likewise follows.
Cult-Priest: "They’re coming! Quickly, kill the hostages!
Gerald: "You know…"
Aleith|DM: You hear movement to the south, through the tunnel in that direction.
Gerald: "Killing them is going to make *us* more likely to kill *you*."
Aleith|DM: The priest calls down a pillar of flame on Gerald! [Purging Fire]
Aleith|DM rolled d20+17 and got 12 ( Total: 29 ) for vs Ref
Aleith|DM: But Gerald manages to barely dodge it!
Gerald` rolls to the side as he hits the top of the stairs.
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 32:Ernst | 32:Zane | 31:Garrett | 29:Chandrasekhar | 27:Gerald | 18:Phyllis | 18:Cult-Priest A |
Aleith|DM: Ernst, Zane!
Ernst fires off a shot with his Carbine from here. [Magic Weapon]
Ernst rolled d20+21 and got 2 ( Total: 23.0 )
Gerald: "You get the runner Garrett? I can take this guy no problem"
Garrett: "I’m on it."
[OOC] Ernst: Not even heroic can save that, ok
Zane‘ darts forward and up onto the catwalk.
Garrett` heads up the southern catwalk. [Move] Is there a door in the way?
Aleith|DM: Nope
Aleith|DM: There’s not much lighting in here though.
Aleith|DM: Chandrasekhar! Gerald!
Gerald‘ jogs a bit further up the catwalk before marking the Priest as his [Quarry] then unloading a [Biting Volley]
Gerald` rolled 2#d20+21(1) and got 19 ( Total: 40 ) for vs Ref
Also rolled 2#d20+21(2) and got 11 [Total: 32]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 72
Gerald` rolled 2#d20+21(1) and got 4 ( Total: 25 ) for vs Ref
Also rolled 2#d20+21(2) and got 17 [Total: 38]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 63
Aleith|DM: Crit, hit! 1 hit!
Gerald` rolled 3d6+54 and got 3, 1, 2 ( Total: 60 )
Also rolled 1d8+14 and got 2 [Total: 16]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 76
Chandrasekhar hauls ass up the staircase and into the tunnel to the south after Garrett!
Aleith|DM: The bullets clang into the metal shell of the duplicant! [50! 6!]
Gerald: "Hmhm, okay one more should crack it open."
Phyllis double moves towards the south. … then sets Chandra a-[Light].
Aleith|DM: The light of your sword reveals some of the cavern, including a pack of (8) gnolls gathering up their weapons. Looks like they were planning to head deeper into the tunnels!
[OOC] Phyllis: Or wait no.
[OOC] Zane: scream for Zane, I will totally parkour my ass over to you lol
Chandrasekhar brandishes his bright sword. Gnolls HATE that shit.
[OOC] Phyllis: AP->Mesmeric Hold] "Sit. Staaaaaay."
Phyllis: And [Mage Hand] instead of Light.
Phyllis rolled d20+27 and got 12 ( Total: 39.0 ) for vs Will, +2 from CA, +4 from single-target
Aleith|DM: Hit!
Phyllis rolled 2d6+15 and got 2, 5 ( Total: 22.0 )
Phyllis: Immobilized UEoPNT!
Aleith|DM: A couple of the gnolls drop, while the rest reel from the effects of your spell! [22!]
Aleith|DM: The cult-priest sends another blast of Purging Fire at Gerald before heading south!
Aleith|DM rolled d20+17 and got 14 ( Total: 31 ) for vs Ref
Aleith|DM rolled 5d6 and got 6, 3, 5, 1, 1 ( Total: 16 )
Aleith|DM: Hitting for 16 fire damage!
Gerald` fires into the Priest first. [Disruptive Shot]
Gerald` rolled 2#d20+21(1) and got 6 ( Total: 27 )
Also rolled 2#d20+21(2) and got 9 [Total: 30]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 57
Aleith|DM: Or not. 1 hit!
Gerald` rolled d8+14 and got 8 ( Total: 22 )
Aleith|DM: The metal shell shatters across large portions of it! [12! Bloodied!]
Gerald: "Yeah you might as well just start running after them Zane I’m good."
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 32:Ernst | 32:Zane | 31:Garrett | 29:Chandrasekhar | 27:Gerald | 26:Cultist Pack A | 23:Cultist Pack B | 22:Cultist Pack D | 20:Cultist Pack C | 18:Phyllis | 18:Cult-Priest A | 15:Cult-Priest B |
Aleith|DM: Ernst! Zane!
Ernst just double moves.
Zane: "Roger that." And he vaults over the rail back down to the floor and sprints south. [Run]
Aleith|DM: Garrett!
Garrett‘ hurls his dagger into the mass of Gnolls! [Sly Flourish]
Garrett` rolled 1d20+24 and got 12 ( Total: 36 ) for vs AC
Garrett: !Roll 1d4+24 3d8 ; they’re now vuln 5 cold but it may not matter soon
Garrett‘ rolled 1d4+24 and got 1 ( Total: 25 ) for they’re now vuln 5 cold but it may not matter soon
Also rolled 3d8 and got 5, 4, 7 [Total: 16]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 41
Garrett‘ then moves further down the tunnel! [Move]
Aleith|DM: It doesn’t! [KO!]
Aleith|DM: That track leads deeper into the mines, but the gnoll warrens run to the west!
Aleith|DM: Chandrasekhar!
Garrett: "Hm- probably the wrong way! Go further west!"
Chandrasekhar: "Which way- got it!"
Chandrasekhar invokes the [Spirit of the Virtuous Charger] and hauls some serious ass.
Phyllis: "Split up and shoot us a line if you've got it?"
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: how many more Move is Run again »
[OOC] Gerald: +2 per move action
Chandrasekhar runs! [5+2+2 *2. I need more map.]
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: Oh Goddess.
Aleith|DM: There's a bunch of gnolls up ahead!
Aleith|DM: Including another cult-priest.
Chandrasekhar: "ACK PHYLLIS"
Aleith|DM: Gerald!
Garrett: "I think that sound is us sticking together."
Gerald‘ continues on down the walkway before blasting what’s left of the robot. [Twin-Fanged Strike]
Gerald‘ rolled 2#d20+21(1) and got 6 ( Total: 27 )
Also rolled 2#d20+21(2) and got 15 [Total: 36]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 63
Gerald` rolled 2#d20+21(1) and got 5 ( Total: 26 )
Also rolled 2#d20+21(2) and got 5 [Total: 26]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 52
Aleith|DM: 1 hit! Miss!
Aleith|DM: actually
Gerald` rolled 3d8+24 and got 7, 7, 4 ( Total: 42 ) for that’s with quarry and vuln lol
Aleith|DM: -5 defences
Aleith|DM: that's all hits!
Gerald‘ rolled 5d8+29 and got 8, 7, 8, 1, 2 ( Total: 55 ) for the rest of the damage!
[OOC] Aleith|DM: KO!
Phyllis: "WHAT"
Gerald: "Done~!"
Chandrasekhar: "THERE’S STUFF"
Chandrasekhar: "GNOLL STUFF"
Phyllis: "MOLE STUFF???"
Aleith|DM: The cultist packs gang up on Chandrasekhar! [Flurry of Stone Spears]
Aleith|DM rolled 3#d20+17(1) and got 8 ( Total: 25.0 )
Also rolled 3#d20+17(2) and got 2 [Total: 19.0 (Low), Avg: 2.00]
Also rolled 3#d20+17(3) and got 5 [Total: 22.0 (Low), Avg: 5.00]
Chandrasekhar: "SURE LET'S GO WI- AAACK"
Total: 66.0, Avg: 5.00
Aleith|DM: But they all miss!
Aleith|DM: Phyllis!
Phyllis double moves and reconjures her [Mage Hand]. Out of breath, she pants out: " - okay I'll get right - " huff, huff " - on it - "
Aleith|DM: A mocking, but familiar voice calls out, "Ber's philosophy is foolish. We are all beasts." [Feral Command]
Aleith|DM rolled d20+19 and got 2 ( Total: 21 ) for vs Will, CA
Aleith|DM: But Chandrasekhar shrugs off Pardo's attack.
Aleith|DM: The cult-priest sends a blast of Purging Fire at Chandrasekhar!
Aleith|DM rolled d20+19 and got 2 ( Total: 21 ) for vs Ref, CA
Aleith|DM: Also missing!
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 32:Ernst | 32:Zane | 31:Garrett | 29:Chandrasekhar | 27:Gerald | 23:Cultist Pack B | 22:Cultist Pack D | 20:Cultist Pack C | 18:Phyllis | 16:Pardo | 15:Cult-Priest B |
Aleith|DM: Ernst! Zane!
Ernst double moves.
Phyllis: " - yeah, keep them busy while - "
Phyllis: "Why are dwarf legs so SHORT AND STUBBY"
Zane‘ skids to stop just in front of Phyllis. "Much like a bears."
Chandrasekhar: "Gahaha! They can’t touch me."
Aleith|DM: Garrett!
Garrett‘ [double moves] up and commands the ground to punch up into the many groups of gnollls! [AP -> The City Comes Alive]
Phyllis motions at Zane with her orb but visibly restrains herself from casting anything to shut up his smarth mouth.
Garrett` rolled 2#1d20+24(1) and got 11 ( Total: 35 ) for vs Ref, Pack B, D, C
Also rolled 2#1d20+24(2) and got 8 [Total: 32]
Also rolled 1d20+22 and got 8 [Total: 30]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 97
Aleith|DM: Hits!
Garrett` rolled 2d6+18 and got 3, 1 ( Total: 22 ) for aoe damage if it matters
Garrett` rolled 3d8 and got 2, 1, 6 ( Total: 9 ) for sneak vs Pack B
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 31! 22! 22!
Aleith|DM: Several of the gnolls go down!
Aleith|DM: Chandrasekhar!
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: …what happens if the gnoll pogs overlap each other >_>
Aleith|DM: they can’t
Aleith|DM: forced movement doesn't force 'large' creatures to squeeze
Aleith|DM: -doesn't +can't
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: Damn :P
Chandrasekhar slams his sword against his shield then with a peal of [Astral Thunder], and then a [Call of Challenge]!
Chandrasekhar rolled 3#d20+18(1) and got 9 ( Total: 27 ) for vs. Fort
Also rolled 3#d20+18(2) and got 14 [Total: 32]
Also rolled 3#d20+18(3) and got 4 [Total: 22]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 81
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: do I still have Magic Weapon »
[OOC] Phyllis: CA against B and D! Mage HAnd!
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: Oh that works too
Aleith|DM: Hits!
Chandrasekhar rolled 2d8+13 and got 6, 8 ( Total: 27 ) for thunder damage, -3 attack penalty UEONT
Aleith|DM: Most of the gnolls are down! [27! * 3! Bloodied!]
Aleith|DM: Gerald!
Gerald‘ glances over at Stocke, rolls a shrug, then fires off his hookshot to swing back over to the stairs, then runs over to the southern entrance after disengaging it.
Aleith|DM: Packs C and D stab at Chandrasekhar!
Aleith|DM rolled 2#d20+14(1) and got 13 ( Total: 27.0 )
Also rolled 2#d20+14(2) and got 9 [Total: 23.0 (Low), Avg: 9.00]
Total: 50.0, Avg: 11.00
Aleith|DM: But miss!
Aleith|DM: Simultaneously, the remaining gnolls all draw daggers, open their mouths, and stab up into their brains. Their dying cackles drive you to flee in panic. [Sacrificial Rite from Pack B]
Aleith|DM rolled d20+12 and got 15 ( Total: 27 ) for vs Will
Aleith|DM: But Chandrasekhar stands firm! The gnolls kill themselves [KO!]
Chandrasekhar: "…Goddess."
Aleith|DM: Phyllis!
Gerald: "…The fuck was that sound?"
Zane: "Dying gnolls."
Garrett: "It wasn’t Zane."
Gerald: "Aim for throats, thanks."
Zane: "I am neither dying nor a gnoll yes."
Garrett: "I mean, Zane didn't kill them."
Gerald: "Either way!"
Phyllis brings her orb to bear, sending a blindingly loud array of colors at the group in front of her. [Mage Hand][Color Spray]
Zane: "Also true."
Phyllis rolled 2#d20+22(1) and got 4 ( Total: 26.0 ) for CA, Gnoll pack C and D
Also rolled 2#d20+22(2) and got 14 [Total: 36.0 (High), Avg: 14.00]
Total: 62.0, Avg: 9.00
Phyllis rolled d20+20 and got 16 ( Total: 36.0 ) for vs Will, no CA, cult-priest B
Phyllis rolled d6+12 and got 5 ( Total: 17.0 ) for radiant damage, Dazed UEoPNT
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 7!] [KO!] [KO!
Phyllis makes a sweeping gesture at the clear room for Chandra to proceed.
Aleith|DM: Pardo barks a command at Phyllis! [Feral Command]
Aleith|DM rolled d20+17 and got 15 ( Total: 32 ) for vs Will
Aleith|DM: Hitting for 10 damage, and then Phyllis drops her orb and punches Chandra! [Yes, make an MBA with your unarmed strike]
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 10 Psychic damage
[OOC] Phyllis: … did i even calculate it and is it even mathematically feasible for me to hit chandra
Phyllis rolled d20+6 and got 15 ( Total: 21.0 ) for half level + (-1) from STR mod I think???
Aleith|DM: Yeah we knew that was going to miss.
Aleith|DM: Bestial laughter echoes through the cave, distracting you as the gnoll turns invisible and bolts away. [Hide in Howls]
Chandrasekhar raises an eyebrow. "Is your wrist okay?"
Aleith|DM: The cult-priest sends a blaxst of Purging Fire at Chandrasekhar and Phyllis!
Phyllis: "I've got another."
Aleith|DM rolled 2#d20+17(1) and got 9 ( Total: 26.0 ) for vs Ref
Also rolled 2#d20+17(2) and got 17 [Total: 34.0 (High), Avg: 17.00]
Total: 60.0, Avg: 13.00
Aleith|DM rolled 5d6 and got 3, 2, 6, 1, 3 ( Total: 15 )
Aleith|DM: Hitting Phyllis for 15 fire damage!
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 32:Ernst | 32:Zane | 31:Garrett | 29:Chandrasekhar | 27:Gerald | 18:Phyllis | 16:Pardo | 15:Cult-Priest B |
Aleith|DM: Ernst! Zane!
Phyllis: "Oh. This does not end well for you."
Phyllis: "- the gnolls, I mean."
Ernst fires a magic weapon at the target.
Ernst rolled 2#d20+21(1) and got 2 ( Total: 23.0 )
Also rolled 2#d20+21(2) and got 15 [Total: 36.0 (High), Avg: 15.00]
Total: 59.0, Avg: 8.50
Aleith|DM: 1 hit!
Ernst rolled d8+11 and got 5 ( Total: 16.0 ) for -1 AC, +2 to hit +5 dmg Brutal 1 for the two people by me
Zane‘ advances toward where Pardo was, rolling his head to loosen up. "So tell me, how many metal Pardo eggs to I have to break before I reach the real soft, gooey center…?"
[OOC] Zane: double move
Aleith|DM: Garrett! Chandrasekhar!
Garrett` moves up and hurls his dagger at the Cult-Priest B! [Sly Flourish]
Garrett` rolled 1d20+22 and got 8 ( Total: 30 ) for vs AC
Garrett` rolled 1d4+24 and got 1 ( Total: 25 )
Aleith|DM: Barely hits due to cover!
Chandrasekhar: "Have you all got this? Want to make sure Mr. Bieito doesn’t get himself into too much trouble." [Move]
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 15!
Garrett: "Yeah, and I'm sure Gerald will appear with a bang soon."
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: Do I see anything fun?
Garrett‘ rolled 3d8 and got 4, 8, 1 ( Total: 13 ) for sneak damage if dazed gives CA
Aleith|DM: Just what appears to be sleeping chambers.
Chandrasekhar rolls in, taking point. [Move again]
Aleith|DM: Gerald! Phyllis!
[OOC] Phyllis: It does
Chandrasekhar: "Tch…"
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 13 more!
Gerald` runs down and around the corner, spots another robot, then pulls out his rifle and [Takes Aim]. "One sec!"
Gerald` also [Quarry]s.
Aleith|DM: Phyllis!
Phyllis has her Mage Hand deliver her orb to her again and reconjures it near the cult-priest. She moves around him and attacks him with an [Illusory Ambush]! With the sensation of his armor squeezing and crushing what remains of his body.
Phyllis rolled d20+23 and got 15 ( Total: 38.0 ) for vs Will
Aleith|DM: Hit!
Phyllis rolled d6+15 and got 2 ( Total: 17.0 ) for -2 tohit UEoPNT
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 7!
Aleith|DM: The bestial laughter reaches a peak as suddenly Pardo stands beside Zane, reaching for him! [Inflict Critical Wounds]
Aleith|DM rolled d20+19 and got 18 ( Total: 37 ) for vs Fort, CA
Aleith|DM rolled 4d8+15 and got 2, 1, 5, 8 ( Total: 31.0 )
Aleith|DM: Bones break. Old injuries tear open and bleed. A rancid stench from within your own body assaults your nose. 31 necrotic damage to Zane, and he’s stunned until the end of Pardo’s next turn, then weakened (save ends).
Zane‘ slaps the hand away with lighting speed. [Warding Stance-> Guard. Add X dice to my defenses when attacked]
Zane` rolled 6d6 and got 6, 5, 3, 1, 2, 5 ( Total: 22 )
Zane` smiles. "Not even on your best day, Pardo…"
Chandrasekhar stares at Zane.
Aleith|DM: ….well, than.
[OOC] Zane: I just fucking knew if I didnt blow all six, sugar was gonna roll straight 1s. I reget absolutely nothing lol
Aleith|DM: The Cult-Priest steps forward and smashes at Phyllis with its scourge, studded with the claws of beasts! [Healing Scourge]
Aleith|DM rolled d20+19 and got 13 ( Total: 32 )
Aleith|DM rolled 2d8+13 and got 8, 7 ( Total: 28.0 )
Aleith|DM: Hitting Phyllis for 28!
Gerald` deflects part of the hit. [Defensive Shot] [-10DMG]
Aleith|DM: Sadly there’s no non-construct allies around left to heal…
[OOC] Phyllis: yikes. is that even with the -2 from illusory ambush?
Aleith|DM: I forgot that, but your AC is 29 anyway…
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 32:Ernst | 32:Zane | 31:Garrett | 29:Chandrasekhar | 27:Gerald | 18:Phyllis | 16:Pardo | 15:Cult-Priest B |
Aleith|DM: Ernst! Zane!
Ernst fires another [Magic Weapon] at Priest B.
Ernst rolled 2#d20+21(1) and got 1 ( Total: 22.0 )
Also rolled 2#d20+21(2) and got 14 [Total: 35.0 (High), Avg: 14.00]
Total: 57.0, Avg: 7.50
Aleith|DM: 1 hit!
[OOC] Ernst: I have rolled a 1 or a 2 every roll
Ernst rolled d8+11 and got 1 ( Total: 12.0 ) for +2 to hit +5 dmg brutal 1 for garrett, -1 AC for the priest
Phyllis: "Ernst a little help here please."
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 2!
Aleith|DM: oh right
Aleith|DM: Inflict Critical Wounds does damage on a miss…
Ernst also tosses Phyllis a [Healing surge+10 heal]
Zane‘ grabs the automaton by the throat… [Hidden Blade]
[OOC] Phyllis: THP or just straight-up heal?
[OOC] Ernst: Straight up heal
Zane still takes 15 necrotic damage damage and is weakened and dazed UEoNT
Zane` rolled d20+20 and got 13 ( Total: 33 ) for vs Reflex
Zane` takes 5, thank you armor
Phyllis: "Much appreciated, thank you."
Aleith|DM: Hit!
Zane` rolled d20 and got 13 ( Total: 13 ) for save vs dazed at start of turn [Superior Will]
Aleith|DM: I guess that….also ends the weakened :/
Zane` circles behind the false priest, holding it nearly immobile. "One metal egg…" [Target is grabbed, grants CA, -2 first escape attempt]
Aleith|DM: Damage?
Zane` rolled 1d8 and got 3 ( Total: 3 ) for Unarmed Strike 1[W] no bonus
[OOC] Aleith|DM: you still get any bonuses other than your dex mod
Aleith|DM: Admittedly, still <10. [0!]
Aleith|DM: Garrett! Chandrasekhar!
Garrett` flicks his dagger at the Cult-Priest B! [Sly Flourish]
Garrett` rolled 1d20+24 and got 4 ( Total: 28 ) for vs AC
Aleith|DM: Hit!
Garrett` rolled 1d4+29 and got 3 ( Total: 32 )
Also rolled 3d8 and got 5, 8, 7 [Total: 20]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 52
Garrett` then hustles closer to the grappled Pardo.
Chandrasekhar rushes in and then [Charge]s Pardo! [Ardent Strike]
Chandrasekhar rolled d20+22 and got 20 ( Total: 42 ) for vs. AC
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 42! Bloodied!
Aleith|DM: The Metal Shell cracks! [Vuln 10 all, -5 defences, -5 saves]
Aleith|DM: Critical!
Gerald: "Oh well that’ll be… even easier than anticipated."
Dealing [9+6+8+10] damage, I think, and sanction
Aleith|DM rolled 3d6 and got 3, 6, 5 ( Total: 14 )
[OOC] Gerald: +3d6 from your magic weapon
Sir Faustin T Resoaix the Bot: Aleith|DM rolled 14+9+6+8+10 -> {47}
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 37!
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: Orite I forgot I do still have dice
Aleith|DM: Gerald!
Gerald‘ lets off a [Twin Shot] on the Priest.
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: Why’d it do 10 less damage? O_o
Gerald‘ rolled 2#d20+24(1) and got 20 ( Total: 44 )
Aleith|DM: Metal Shell
Also rolled 2#d20+24(2) and got 9 [Total: 33]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 77
Aleith|DM: Crit, hit!
Zane` straight up turns fake-Pardo into the oncoming thrust. "Oh hello, Chandrasekhar. Fancy meeting you here."
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: Oh derp the one that cracked was the other one
[OOC] Phyllis: Metal Shell - mouse over Pardo’s pog
[OOC] Phyllis: ahaha
[OOC] Aleith|DM: Yep
Gerald‘ rolled 3d6+48 and got 5, 3, 4 ( Total: 60 ) for i have brutal too but it doesn’t matter….
Also rolled 3d10+18 and got 2, 7, 7 [Total: 34]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 94
Aleith|DM: The duplicant basically explodes into pieces! [KO!]
Gerald‘ then runs down the tunnel a bit more. "What’s left??"
Chandrasekhar grins at Zane. "Wouldn't want to be anywhre else."
Aleith|DM: Phyllis!
Phyllis gets set to take down the duplicant in front of her but slumps when Gerald gets to it first.
Garrett: "More gnolls somewhere, probably. And hostages."
Phyllis continues northwest. "I'm on it." [1 move action so far…]
Gerald: "Well yeah I ment more the immediate vacinity I still hear metal grinding."
Phyllis waits for the map to load.
Phyllis casts [Light] on herself to get some better vision, even if she can see better than most here. Then continues northwest.
Phyllis: "Nothing here!"
Chandrasekhar: "Hm."
Phyllis scans around. "… so where the hell are those hostages?"
Aleith|DM: At the end of the cavern you find a large mural of a large pile of treasure surrounded by a ring of lava.
Gerald: "Gotta be a false wall either back there or maybe near the pump?"
Phyllis: "Suppose this depicts the hoard that the orcs found…"
Pardo tries to struggle free. [Escape]
Phyllis: "Potentially!"
Aleith|DM rolled d20+11 and got 3 ( Total: 14 ) for -2
Aleith|DM: Failing. He bats at Zane with his jagged nails, snarling and slavering! [Talon Frenzy]
Aleith|DM rolled d20+17 and got 17 ( Total: 34 ) for marked
Aleith|DM rolled 2d6+5 and got 2, 5 ( Total: 12.0 )
Aleith|DM: Hitting for 12 damage!
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: EEOOO
[OOC] Aleith|DM: does Divine Challenge/Sanction do 10 or less damage?)
Ernst does that thing where Zane takes -9 damage from the attack and then gains 13THP
[14] radiant damage and Slow!
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 4!
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: c'mon c'mon world serpent's grasp
[OOC] Aleith|DM: he already grants CA tho
[OOC] Aleith|DM: But I guess that'd turn it into a pin? >_>
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: I wanna knock him on his ass tho
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 32:Ernst | 32:Zane | 31:Garrett | 29:Chandrasekhar | 27:Gerald | 18:Phyllis | 16:Pardo |
Aleith|DM: Ernst! Zane!
Chandrasekhar: "Hah. Thought you could escape my vengeance…?"
Zane‘ slams Pardo to the ground and his other hand raises, fingers clenching slowly into a hammer. "I hope you can feel this." And his hand comes down.
Pardo: "You’ll suffer at the hands of our master-"
Zane‘ rolled d20+21 and got 18 ( Total: 39 ) for Unarmed
Aleith|DM: Hit!
Zane` rolled 4d8+10 and got 1, 7, 7, 2 ( Total: 27.0 ) for Unarmed strike, Attack Finesse, Furious Assault, Assassin Strike
Also rolled 4d10 and got 9, 6, 6, 3 [Total: 24 (High), Avg: 6.00]
Total: 51.0, Avg: 5.12
Pardo: "Gurk!" He slams into the ground, his metal casing cracking severly! [41! Bloodied!]
Aleith|DM: Garrett!
Ernst fires another [Magic Weapon] at the target.
Ernst rolled 2#d20+21(1) and got 19 ( Total: 40.0 )
Also rolled 2#d20+21(2) and got 1 [Total: 22.0 (Min), Avg: 1.00]
Total: 62.0, Avg: 10.00
Gerald: "Wait didn’t we kill that voice like a week ago?"
[OOC] Ernst: I have rolled a 1 or a 2 every roll
Aleith|DM: Hit!
[OOC] Aleith|DM: you said that last time yes
Ernst rolled d8+11 and got 3 ( Total: 14.0 ) for +2 to hit +5 dmg brutal 1 for garrett, -1 AC for the target
[OOC] Garrett: it's true this time too
[OOC] Ernst: That's the power of up arrow enter
Garrett‘ moves in and goes for a [Clever Strike].
Garrett` rolled 1d20+24 and got 6 ( Total: 30 ) for vs AC
Dicebot:// Dice Sides Error: Unable to parse 4r1 in 1d4r1+34
Garrett` rolled 1d4r1+34: (1, 2) [Total: 36.0 (Low), Avg and got 2.00
Also rolled 3d8 and got 6, 5, 5 [Total: 16 (High), Avg: 5.33]
Total: 52.0, Avg: 4.50
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: lol Fue
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 24! 52! KO!
Zane: "Yes, he apparently has himself a few false bodies."
Gerald: "Man."
Phyllis: "Nicodemus as well, I’m sure."
Gerald: "Just between us… that's honestly kind of awesome? "
Zane‘ stands up and dusts his hands off.// "Its OK, we’ll find the real one eventually."
Phyllis: "Oh. Duplicants. Right."
Garrett: "It'd be amazing for search-and-rescue in hazardous conditions."
Chandrasekhar: "They can keep coming."
Chandrasekhar: "Gives us more spare parts to analyse."
Garrett: "But no, instead we're fighting for our lives as we trash these things."
Garrett: "Maybe less useful if these things transmit pain as well?"
Garrett‘ sighs and shakes his head. "Honestly, it’s really damn interesting."
Zane: "God I hope they do."
Gerald: "I mean, he's still used it to cheat death, twice, even if they do."
Phyllis: "Should we … get to searching?"
Phyllis: "Hostages to save. Chop chop."
Gerald‘ starts doing a sweep of the eastern most part of the room.
Garrett` grins. "Well, yeah. I imagine Pardo has experienced the absolute cusp of death way more times than the average person, now."
Gerald: "Can’t you just like, ask the volcano where the secret passage is? I'm pretty sure one or two of you can talk to inanimate objects."
Garrett: "Oh, yeah, I can absolutely do that. Give me a minute."
Phyllis stands … hereabouts and casts [Detect Secret Doors.] Though that takes 10 minutes, so if anyone else can do it faster…
Aleith|DM: The mural is definitely hiding a secret door, Gerald.
Gerald‘ reckon’s Garrett'll notice that before he makes his way over there but will still act surprised.
[OOC] Garrett: it still takes me 5 minutes but
Gerald: "Alright. This is my shocked face at this gigantic ass, out of place mural hiding a SECRET PASSAGE."
Gerald‘ makes a shocked face, then slides it out of the way.
Aleith|DM: Inside the narrow passageway behind the secret door, you find a mob of people, including several dozen soldiers and Kenna Vigilante.
Aleith|DM: The hostages lie on cots, adorned with shamanic beads and ritual paint. Each wears a blindfold and a small metal crown inscribed with a series of numbers in Draconic, and on their chest sits a small flat piece of stone that holds a drop of witchoil.
Chandrasekhar: "Mmm…"
Garrett: "Hmm… nevermind, there’s… not enough of a presence for me to do so. Good ol' eyes and ears it is."
Phyllis: "Bonds, undo yourself." [Pathos of the Inanimate]
Aleith|DM: Not that it's hard to do anyway, but this does it faster.
Phyllis: "Okay, so that's … one thing."
Phyllis: "What else."
Garrett: "Find Oddcog and drag him back to the Roscommon."
Garrett: "Also provisionally- destroy this place without destroying ourselves."
Aleith|DM: Taking the stone off of there chest wakes them up.
Gerald: "Mornin."
Gerald: "Anyone happen to know where abouts Oddcog might be?"
Kenna: "Ugh. Morning, constables. Thanks for coming to help us."
Phyllis: "That does remind me."
Garrett: "Not a problem. We're curious on what the experience was quite like, but we're sort of on a timetable."
Phyllis: "I'll be a moment." With that, she slinks off to cast [Hunter's Blessing], naming Oddcog as its target.
Zane: "Hope you're up for another jog, Kenna. We suspect Tinker has rigged this place to blow at some point."
Aleith|DM: Kenna and the soldiers, while in duplicant bodies, were still at the Summer Court.
Kenna: "Lovely. We'll start moving. I presume you're still checking out the place?"
Aleith|DM: They don't have much, but Kenna starts getting the various solders (and a few Beran functionaries) to start getting things together, including weapons from the fallen gnolls.
Gerald: "On the bright side we got a fast boat."
Gerald‘ nods.
Chandrasekhar: "He’s got to be here /somewhere/…"
Kenna: "Is it just you all here?"
Garrett: "It'll be about a five-mile hustle towards your naval extraction, once you're clear of the volcano entrance."
Zane: "Just us breathing at any rate."
Garrett: "The Beran navy is engaging the gnoll…ish navy as well."
Gerald: "We left the army to steamroll their navy."
Kenna: "Alright. I'll see if we can meet up with them."
Aleith|DM: Phyllis: The traces are faint, but they seem to be leading under the gigantic hatch in the pump station.
Phyllis tilts her head, then turns in the direction of the hatch. "… Got something."
Gerald: "Called it."
Zane: "Oh, huh."
Garrett: "Good job."
Zane: "I was expecting to cover a lava pit, honestly. Not that its mutually exclusive, but lets get to work."
Ersnt probably figures out how to work the control panel after giving it a once over, then pops it open.
Aleith|DM: It doesn't take Ernst to figure out how to get the hatch opens. After switching on the flow of water from the blue panel to the red panel, since it already has power he's able to use the red panel to open the hatch.
Zane‘ watches from the catwalk, for a good look down.
Aleith|DM: There’s a couple of ladders leading down fifty feet into a room that looks like it receives raw ore from the mine that gets ground up by the large grinder at the end of a conveyer belt there.
Gerald‘ peers down over the edge.
Gerald: "Beran’s first."
Aleith|DM: There's a mine cart in front of the grinder, and set of tracks leading under a large door (closed) leading deeper into the facility.
Zane‘ skips the ladder, vaulting down with blade in hand. (That moment when you realize that you can fall 50 feet and take no damage)
Garrett: "Get ready for anything. Even another 300-foot golem."
Aleith|DM: There’s a tiny steam engine puttering away happily on the end of the cart, of which a severed duplicant head sits inside as well, mostly featureless aside from eyes and an articulate mouth.
Zane: "Aw, he left us a message."
Chandrasekhar: "How… kind."
Garrett: "Could be a bomb."
Zane‘ shrugs. "That would definitely be a message."
Garrett` examines the cart and door for traps!!!
Aleith|DM: The duplicant’s appearance shifts to match Tinker's face. "I wondered when I’d see you again. Please, please, get in the cart. It will be a pleasant ride, and my subterranean domicile is far, far too large for you to have to walk all the way. So, so vast. You could get lost in it. Certainly your mind could. I have an inkling you’re going to get quite violent toward me, and our previous interaction was much, much too brief. So please, please: into the cart."
Garrett‘ rolled 1d20+20 and got 7 ( Total: 27 ) for perception, +4 from gadgeteer’s goggles
Gerald: "Well I mean, we're constables. If you stop resisting arrest we stop being violent."
Gerald: "We're anti-Ob too so there's basically no reason not to on your end."
Phyllis: "… should I bother trying to read the coins to see how our fortunes would fare here?"
Zane: "Prettymuch what he said. Wouldn't have even had problem the first if you hadn't tried to kill us all at the palace. We came here to talk."
Gerald: "I reckon we're getting in the cart either way though so." Gerald shrugs and hops in.
Tinker: "Good, good." The double doors start to grind open. Beyond lies a long tunnel.
Zane‘ hops in. "In for a copper, in for a gold."
Garrett` shrugs and leaps in.
Tinker: "You were at the court trying to recruit me, right?"
Zane: "To talk to you. Offer you protection. Keep Lya and Nicodemus from getting you first."
Garrett: "That was the idea."
As the doors finish opening, the cart starts to roll along, slightly faster than walking speed.
Garrett: "They still want you dead, for what it’s worth."
Chandrasekhar: "One hand of that, another hand of 'trying to save your life'."
Zane: "Mm, in a big way."
The tunnel winds its way slowly downards, and the temperature gradually grows hotter as it goes.
Zane‘ is just waiting for this thing to try and dump them in a lava pit.
Zane: "Despite what you may have heard, we’re pretty reasonable people."
Gerald: "That said we also want to pump you for info on the giant ass automaton, but like, we realize there's a geass in play, and also that it's a lot easier to get information out of willing people."
Tinker: "You’re here about Borne, yes? I’d love to tell you all about him. His design, his structural flaws, and his personality. Such a nice boy. Smartest one of the lot. Not like you. You, if you’ll pardon me, are fools. You’ve walked into a trap."
Tinker: "Not that I wanted to trap you. It’s odd to be affected by a type of mind control you built. Built when no one else could, I’d remind you. I can tell someone else is in charge, but I don’t mind so much. Much better than to be mind controlled and not remember. Remember what I said about not wanting to trap you? You upset my employer, and as long as I’m still in this—I remind you—quite masterful invention, I won’t be agreeing to any of your overtures, short or brief or long or huge."
Tinker: "You should meet my boss. Gnomes and dragons are natural allies. We gnomes love to speak to burrowing animals, burrowing animals love caves, and who loves caves more than dragons?! Well … dwarves, I suppose. And they do have more hair. And they are smaller. I wish I had a pet dwarf."
Gerald: "Oh no the clever gnome has unwitting lured us all into a trap we absolutely definitely didn't know we were driving into."
Zane‘ gets a little white around the eyes. "A dragon?"
Chandrasekhar: "In our defense, you’re a bloody genius and I don't think there's a country in the world who /wouldn't/ rather have you on their side, Borne or- aha. That's interesting."
Phyllis growls. First at the dragon remark, then at the pet remark.
Garrett: "Thereeeeeeeeeee's a twist."
Phyllis probably isn't helping matters.
Garrett: "Any chance you could give us a heads up on when the trap will bite?"
Gerald‘ purses his lips.
A new voice butts in: the memorable deep tones of Risuri industrialist Benedict Pemberton. The duplicant’s head transforms to match his face. Alright there. That’s quite enough of that, son. Time to let the people with
Aleith|DM: functional minds have a conversation. "
Pemberton: "Greetings! Some people used to call me the Steel Lord Gradiax, but these days I do prefer Benedict Pemberton. Welcome to my volcano lair. Now if you don’t mind, kindly either leave the premises or put your weapons away so we can talk in peace."
Zane: "Pet dwarves are finicky, obstinate, and almost impossible to train, for what its worth."
Gerald: "I thought you all were supposed to have killed the last of the dragons?" Gerald gives Zane a look.
Zane: "… Pemberton?!"
[OOC] Aleith|DM: "Alright there. That’s quite enough of that, son. Time to let the people with functional minds have a conversation."
Gerald: "Wait what the fuck -"
Pemberton: "The one and only. Well, more like the 7th one."
Gerald: "Okay."
Gerald: "I didn't call THAT one."
Zane: "Well, for what its worth, I can't put my weapons away because I haven't drawn them."
Garrett: "Ahahaha, what?"
Phyllis: "Killed or encased in ice."
Garrett: "THAT'S the other twist."
Gerald: "And yeah we're always down for peaceful conversations!"
Pemberton: "You see, two hundred years ago, when the magic of flight suddenly died, us dragons were in dire straits."
Chandrasekhar is, immediately, both on his guard, and more than a little intrigued.
Pemberton: "Your king at the time, Boyle, offered me refuge in Risur and vowed to protect us and even keep our hoards safe, as long as I pledged to never take hostile action against Risur. But I'd have to live for 100 years in the form of a human."
Gerald‘ is quiet for a moment, then abruptly bursts into laughter.
Pemberton: "So I’ve been living as a family of entrepreneurs, making a fortune in land investment."
Zane: "How… many of you?"
Pemberton: "When Flint started industrializing, I got on board from the start."
Gerald: "Ahaha - aha. Ah man - no wonder it was so hard to push for factory regulations and reforms Ernst. One was being run by a literal fucking dragon ahahaha."
Chandrasekhar: "That rather does explain things."
Pemberton: "I'm not sure. A few?"
Zane: "So why all this, then? You're already rolling, probably quite literally, in money. Why all this?"
Chandrasekhar: "Not that that fact was wildly in need of explanation, given the avarice of the short-lived as well as the long-, but even so."
Phyllis says nothing for now, just watching this conversation unfold, the … gears in her head, turning.
Pemberton: "Regardless, I made contact with my former followers seven years ago and have been buliding a powerbase here."
Pemberton: "Why, to take over Ber, of course. I can't touch Risur, but I can go for what I wanted all along."
Zane: "And now there's no competition, huh?"
Pemberton: "Tinker was a godsend. He finished off my designs for duplicants, and, well, everything started growing explosively from there."
Chandrasekhar: "…why do that when you could watch your influence spread through Risur and the world? Sit back on your hoard and smile and laugh, and grow more successful than any dragon ever did?"
Pemberton: "I'd much rather keep the gnome, of course. His designs are brilliant, if mad. Lots of revision before the final product."
Chandrasekhar sighs. "And there they told me dragons took the long view. I suppose it's the ancestral territory?"
Zane‘ shrugs. "Can we borrow him? We really need to know everything he can tell us about Borne."
Garrett: "So then, why the Obscurati and the golem and all the rigamarole in Risur and not Ber?"
Pemberton: "It’s the way of things for dragons. Why be content with renters, when I can have subjects?"
Chandrasekhar: "You… do know what happened to your entire bloody species?"
Pemberton: "Obscurati? I have nothing to do with them, nor do I care about them."
Chandrasekhar: "Landlords are less apt to wind up with their head on a pike."
Chandrasekhar: "Something to consider."
Phyllis nods at Garrett, in affirmation of Pemberton's most recent statements. "I had my suspicions about that relationship, as well."
Phyllis: "There are more parties in play than just the Ob, remember."
Pemberton: "I was going to take over Ber eventually, but you've caused me to have to accelerate things by threatening to take away my genius inventor."
Chandrasekhar: "I suppose there's a reason the Dirge of Vekesh never caught on in Ber until you were eradicated."
Chandrasekhar: "A shame, really." He stretches out in the cart as much as he can, languidly, like a cat.
Garrett: "I guess he just had enough cover in Risur and we just happened to bust the wrong joint."
Garrett: "Hah! Such is fortune."
Pemberton: "Now, if you'll leave Tinker here, and leave my factory alone, I'll be able to manufacture war machines which could help you against this 'Obscurati', and even Danor if need be. I'll let you speak with Tinker for his information."
Zane: "Gotta admit, you had me completely fooled at the railroad."
Pemberton: "If you want to actually take him with you, however, I'll need more."
Pemberton: "Simply to balance what you already to my forces, I'll need your aid to attack the Beran fleet."
Chandrasekhar snorts.
Zane‘ laughs.
Gerald: "I’m gunna be honest with you -"
Garrett: "You had me going there for a while."
Gerald: "To me, that sounds like a good deal. But uh. I'm not i charge, that's probably a hard sell to the boss."
Gerald‘ gestures with his head to Zane.
Garrett: "I thought maybe, maybe this was the time that the bad guys offered us a deal that was in our overall interest."
Chandrasekhar: "Just… for the sake of foolish argument… I suppose there’s nothing on the table that'd convince you to put off your attack on Ber for another, say, century. See what we could accomplish working together."
Phyllis: "It might be prudent to not taunt the person that has us in cart in the middle of Nowhere, Volcano."
Chandrasekhar: "Not that I'd believe the offer, of course, I just… am curious what the contours might look like."
Garrett: "There's a lot of things we could have done differently, but I mean, we jumped in the cart!"
Gerald‘ glances back around at Phyllis.
Pemberton: "I’m committed. Well, mostly. I'll have to restart if my forces lose here, and then I'll have to bide my time anyway."
Pemberton: "So, shucks. So, do you want to just speak with Tinker, or take him by force?"
Gerald: "Probably but between the lot of us it's probably damn new impossible for *all* of us to stop taunting. It's in our nature."
Garrett: "Also we can still talk to Oddcog without agreeing to anything more than 'please ignore my completely legal ventures.'"
Chandrasekhar smirks, leaning forward a little, eyes lighting up, not really saying anything.
Zane: "Have you considered *not* taking Ber? I mean, we're doing a pretty good job of civilizing ourselves, it would be a shame to interrupt that now."
Pemberton: "Not really, no. I dare say good ol' Bruse Shantus isn't doing a very good job of things."
Garrett: "(Shit, he got us there.)"
Zane: "Well, sometimes you have to tell a king that he needs to pull his head out of his ass. And that's a dangerous job."
Gerald: "If it makes you feel any better I think Zane punched him in the dick. He's been a lot more agreeable since then."
Zane: "Are you willing to hear a counter proposal?"
Phyllis: "I've oft-wondered … if a world like the one you envision, with subjects instead of mere renters, would be more peaceful."
Pemberton: "Sure, why not?"
Zane: "Help us fight the Obscurati with your machines and I'll let you keep on with your legitimate human-family shaped business deals."
Pemberton: "Peaceful? You don't take over a country by force and expect it to be peaceful. You rule it through terror and fear. And what better way than my wonderful duplicants? They'll never know if their neighbour is genuine or a machine."
Zane: "But you can't have Ber. I'm sorry."
Phyllis: "The mind-control bit, at least. The endgame, with everyone a duplicant."
Chandrasekhar: "(A Sovereign's peace is a mirror of the Sovereign…)"
Zane: "Consider it a sunk cost."
Pemberton: "And what about here? I expect my poor gnolls will get crushed underfoot without your help delaying the army. And the factory? Gone, I'm sure."
Pemberton: "I see."
Gerald: "(Man… that's not… a great counter offer.)"
Zane: "We can probably save the factory. And the gnolls. If you're willing to help."
Gerald: "(That's better.)"
Phyllis quirks an eyebrow at Zane. She has some misgivings there.
Zane: "But we're not leaving without Tinker, and you can't have Ber."
Pemberton: "That's a shame. You can't have both Tinker and foil my plans for conquest."
Chandrasekhar is grinning, blatantly and shamelessly, at Zane, out of the robot's eye-line.
Zane: "Do you really want us to come and get him?"
Pemberton: "Do your best."
Pemberton: "Since I doubt you'll do your worst."
Gerald: "(…Couldn't we leave Oddcog with him? We don't really NEED him, so much as his information, and he's kind of incapable of directly fucking Risur…?)"
Garrett: "Believe me, we'd rather not do this."
Garrett: "I mean… it'll take months to dismantle all of Pemberton Industries afterwards."
Ernst: "(Reasonably confident some of us care about Ber.)"
Zane‘ smiles. "We’ll just put someone else in charge, it'll be fine."
Garrett: "Ernst is already going to head up the RHC eventually…"
Gerald: "(Well yeah but 'don't eat ber with war' was always on the table.)"
Aleith|DM: The light at the end of the tunnel starts brightening….
Ernst: "As soon as I perfect Stocke I'll be able to do paperwork and accompany you on missions at the same time."
Aleith|DM: …and opens up into a large foundry, lying in a magma chamber 120 feet high.
Gerald: "Uuugh I wasn't prepared to kill a dragon todaaaaaaay."
Chandrasekhar: "Impressive."
Phyllis: "I have been for a while."
Gerald: "You're also crazy."
Chandrasekhar grins at Phyllis.
Phyllis: "The writing on one man's gun, the writing in the Eschatologists' weird ice puzzle, Cheshimox, the hoard of gold."
Aleith|DM: The cart continues rolling along…
Chandrasekhar: "Did I disagree~?"
Phyllis pauses.
Zane‘ hops out of the cart where he’s got those square columns for cover.
Phyllis: "I was prepared … emotionally, mentally."
Phyllis: "I am unsure if I am prepared in a more practical sense."
Gerald: "Oh."
Gerald: "Well, I'm always ready to kill anything practically so we balance out."
Gerald‘ slips a fresh ammo clip onto his shotgun and rifle both.
Garrett` combat rolls out of the minecart and draws his daggers.
Chandrasekhar: "Oh, I was agreeing to ’I've been impressive for a while.'"
Phyllis: "And the 'crazy' part."
Phyllis: "I'll cop to that."
Aleith|DM: The mine cart hits the barricade at the end of the line after you've all hopped out…and the barricade falls over. The mine cart topples into the lava after several seconds.
Chandrasekhar: "Anyways, this ought to be interesting. Neither one of us die here, you know."
Zane: "Well, I see our good friend. But I don't see you, Gradiax."
Aleith|DM: The autocannons on Tinker's steamsuit start winding up…..

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License