Zg Session 57

The sun's getting close to the horizon as your group approaches the Bruse's summer court on the north side of the peninsula. Lines of tents stretch down the highway for half a mile from the court to the nearest village, Nimba, which you just rode through. As Brakken tells it, many of these citizens have been camped out for weeks wishing to petition the Bruse, with only a handful seen per day. Mostly they get along, and people play music throughout the day as they work alongside the local townsfolk in the farms and ranches.
Aleith|DM: The Bruse stays in a small fort. Beautiful if somewhat arid wilderness sprawls out for miles, dotted with cottages and tents, and everything is patrolled by soldiers and bloodhounds. There are fields for sport, a river with lush artificial-waterfall-fed ponds, and countless other amenities of the fabulously wealthy.
Gerald: "Wow I can't even imagine having enough free time to spend weeks camped out in a line."
Aleith|DM: And yes, between the numerous petitioners, VIPs with their entourages, soldiers, and the nearby village, this barely counts as an urban area while the Bruse holds court here, Garrett.
Zane runs a hand over his crest of hair. "Yeah. These people are risking a lot. Crops, goods for sale…" He looks at the Executore. "And you say he sees… how many of them in a day?"
Garrett: "It's practically its own village in itself. Have your factory house and then a summer home with the Bruse."
Gerald: "Hah."
Glaucia glances at Brakken. "Several?" she guesses.
Brakken nods to confirm. "He spends a fair amount of time riding his steeds, hunting, and watching plays put on by foreign troupes."
Zane frowns.
Phyllis: "You could implement any … number of processes to speed things up. Pre-filled out forms, hire a few more hands to sort and prioritize requests…"
Brakken: "I don't think that's his main concern here."
Glaucia: "We've got an executora in charge here making sure things run smoother and keep the peace, Heiliana."
Zane is getting that 'someone is entering into a world of pain' crease between his eyebrows. "It should be."
Brakken: "And while the both of us have access to him already…"
Chandrasekhar knows that look, and responds with only the faintest of wry smiles.
Glaucia: "You'll either have to wait in line…"
Brakken: "Or talk to someone about competing in an 'Adulthood Challenge' to skip the line."
Garrett‘ slumps. "It really won’t look good if we beat up on some teens to do this, you know."
Gerald: "A what?"
Brakken: "It's usually bears."
Zane: "As long as its not YOUR bear."
Garrett: "Even teen bears."
Phyllis: "We just handled two tyrannosauruses."
Phyllis: "And an entire herd of goats."
Brakken: "You won't have to worry about facing Feroz, I assure you." He scratches behind the ear on his bear at this.
Glaucia: "But the Bruse didn't get to watch it."
Garrett‘ grins wide. "All damn hundred of those goats." He begins to chuckle.
Chandrasekhar: "Ah, the grand tradition of exchanging spectacle for substance. I do wish they’d seen us face off against that horde, I imagine that'd've done the trick."
Brakken: "I'm sure it would have. Sadly, there was only us to bear witness."
Zane rubs the bridge of his nose. "I don't remember the Bruse being this much of a self-absorbed twit."
Brakken: "They do hold them at night, so if you want to speak with someone quickly, we could probably have one held tonight."
Glaucia shrugs slightly. "Maybe things have gotten worse since you left."
Phyllis: "We don't have any other savory choice, do we?"
Chandrasekhar: "Green shoots grow bark and mud turns to stone, friend."
Zane: "Apparently. Alright, fine. God forbid we actually pursue official business without an official fight."
Zane: "Also, Glaucia, at some point I would like to know everything you know about this cult of the Steel Lord.
Gerald: "Ya'll are weird on this side of the continent."
Zane: "Yeah, we are."
Garrett: "Oh, I don't know. The familiar disappointment of bureaucracy is a familiar hearth."
Glaucia bares her teeth a bit. "Their leader is our current 'Minister of Rebellion', in fact."
Garrett: "Case in point."
Zane: "Is he the one whose throat I told you to cut?"
Glaucia: "No, he wasn't directly part of the raid as far as I can tell, but I still wouldn't mind doing it."
Zane: "Mm, just checking."
Gerald‘ mouths ’minister of rebellion' to himself with a bemused look on his face.
Glaucia: "He represents all of the 'unincorporated tribes' as a sort of honorary title," she clarifies to Gerald.
Zane shrugs at Gerald and Garrett. "You know there's always people plotting against the current ruler, no matter where you go. This way as an official minister, it makes it really easy for them to keep tabs on."
Chandrasekhar: "Exactly what it sounds like."
Brakken: "The official court policy is that although they expect him to scheme, the court views it as a mark of their openness and opposition to tyranny that they promote their own enemies."
Gerald: "I see."
Chandrasekhar: "You can see why I found this refreshing, coming from the land where our masks wear masks." He smiles.
Gerald: "Yeah, *you* guys are a whole other kind of weird and more on the 'what the fucking fuck' side of fucked up."
Gerald‘ shakes his head, recalling the last job the unseen courted asked them to do.
Brakken directs you to the right courtier, and after several exchanges and a small bribe, the Adulthood Challenge is organized for tonight.
Zane: "On the bright side, Gerals, this is a perfect chance for them to try and spring an ambush at short notice, which means they’l probably screw it up and we'll trim them off a few more bodies."
Gerald: "Haha."
Gerald: "We should just have him stand outside with an apple on his head and let me shoot it off from far enough awya he can even see me if he just wants to be impressed by dumb shit,:
Aleith|DM: Many of the common folk leave their makeshift camp on the highway when word gets out that the Challenge is being attempted tonight, heading for the bleachers arranged around a huge hedge maze on the side of the fortress.
Garrett: "Man. This is almost like fighting in an underground combat ring against wild beasts with ours and a few other lives hang in the balance all while on official duty."
Aleith|DM: As things are being setup and the bleachers begin to fill, you have a seat near the southern entrance of the maze where Glaucia and Brakken join you.
Zane: "Who would ever do that?"
Aleith|DM: Various dignitaries fill in on the northern edge of the seats.
Garrett‘ gives an exaggerated shrug.
Phyllis: "So, um."
Phyllis: "Why is it called an adulthood challenge?"
Zane: "Because children cant fight bears, obviously."
Phyllis: "But adults should be expected to?"
Zane: "Obviously. They have a much better chance."
Garrett: "Well I mean,"
Garrett: "If not the children or adults, then who?"
Garrett: "Somebody’s gotta wrestle the bear."
Phyllis: "There's a smaller subset of - nevermind."
Zane: "Its OK Ursinho, I have faith in you."
Glaucia: "One of Shantus’s few 'popular' reforms once he came to power was to encourage the creation of Adulthood Challenges—mazes with obstacles and some tough but non-lethal animals, against which would-be warriors could pass from childhood to adulthood without having to cave in the skull of someone from the next valley over."
Glaucia: "It's a tribal thing."
Phyllis: "So I see."
Gerald: "I feel like… we've definitely taken this test before… but like… the ultra mega brutal expert level of it. And won easily? So…"
Chandrasekhar: "It is a ritual, and must be observed."
Garrett: "It's okay. This will make you extra popular abroad."
Zane: "And with broads."
Zane: "I feel like we got our lines swapped there, Garret."
Garrett: "It happened, and that's what matters."
Zane: "Yeah."
Aleith|DM: An announcer covers the major rules for the audience while another person organizing it explains it to you directly. The man hands you each a crown that glows a different colour-orange, yellow, green, blue, violet, and white.
Aleith|DM: The defenders of the labyrinth wear red crowns. To pass the challenge and enter the Summer Court, a petitioner must have a crown on as he passes through the northern gate of the maze. (The glow keeps the petitioner from hiding, but its light is projected upward. It can easily be seen by people in the bleachers, but it just provides dim illumination in a 1 square radius.)
Aleith|DM: A petitioner who passes through the south gate of the maze admits defeat, as does any petitioner who climbs high enough to see above the hedge walls. Since the hedges are 40 feet tall, this is hard to do accidentally.
Aleith|DM: This is a test of bravery and cunning, not of power. Using magic or technology to pass through hedge walls or other obstacles may be grounds for disqualification. The Bruse and the audience are arbiters of what is acceptable.
Aleith|DM: Do not attack anyone in the audience. Do not attempt to approach the Bruse. Do not set the labyrinth on fire.
[OOC] Zane: lmao
Aleith|DM: If a petitioner becomes too injured to move on his own, he will be retrieved eventually once the danger from any creatures within passes. He assumes the risk that he might die. If a co-petitioner carries him through the north gate, he can still count as a victor as long as he has his crown.
Aleith|DM: And lastly, this is the Adulthood Challenge. Children complain. Adults solve their problems.
Gerald: "Wow this test sure is racist against technology."
Garrett‘ leans over to Zane after the fire comment. "Zane. Was there an incident."
Phyllis: "Greald."
Zane grins.
Gerald: "Phyllis."
Ernst scratches his head. "So… no Stocke?" He frowns.
Brakken: "Should be fine as long as your little robot doesn’t break down a hedge or set it on fire."
Zane debates. And then picks the white crown. Go big or go home.
Garrett‘ picks up the violet crown.
Gerald` picks up the blue one with a sigh.
Chandrasekhar always meant to do this while he was in Ber, but never got around to it; he grabs the green crown.
Phyllis takes the yellow.
Ernst nods before taking the final crown.
The Bruse sits on the platform over the north end, with a couple of concubines, as well as a dragonborn and a gnoll flanking him. Brakken points them out as Kenna Vigilante, his minister of dragon affairs, and Pardo, the aforementioned minister of rebellion.
Aleith|DM: You can also see Lya sitting on the north end, with Rush and a couple of other sitting beside her.
Gerald` taps Zane on the side with the back of his hand a few times.
Garrett` curses under his breath. "How much of an international incident…"
Gerald: "Zane. Zane zane zane zane zane."
Gerald: "Zane we’re not in Risur."
Gerald: "I can shoot her right? I don't need to be an adult in Ber."
Zane: "…"
Phyllis: "Gerald, NO."
Ernst chuckles.
Gerald: "Come ON she's just sitting there."
Zane: "Amendment. Gerald, *not yet*."
Gerald‘ siiiiighs.
Chandrasekhar: "Mr. Bieito, you’re such a spoilsport."
Garrett‘ pats Gerald on the shoulder comfortingly.
Zane: "As much as I really want to let you, and believe me I *really* want to let you, all that would do is start the war we are trying to prevent."
Chandrasekhar: "I suppose that’s a valid point. We want to do her in -without- starting a war."
Zane: "If we can do it on the low though…"
Gerald: "That's like the best benefit of being a kid though, I can't be blamed for the casually cruel and callous things I do has I haven't developed enough to know right from wrong yet.
Garrett: "That's why it's the -adulthood- challenge, I get it now."
Aleith|DM: The attendant leads you down to the starting area, and then the announcer starts you off, shouting that "the first couple of bears are entering the maze!"
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 28:Phyllis | 28:Zane | 26:Gerald | 24:Chandrasekhar | 24:Garrett | 23:Beran Bear A | 21:Beran Bear B | 7:Ernst |
Aleith|DM: Phyllis? Zane? Gerald?
Phyllis advances ahead with Gerald.
Gerald‘ runs forward once the go sign is given.
Aleith|DM: Oh. Well. Gerald you probably don’t do that.
Zane moves forward and then almost vanishes into the plants. [Move, Silent Stalker]
Aleith|DM: Because the floor drops out between Zane and Phyllis as they run in.
Aleith|DM rolled 2#d20+17(1) and got 12 ( Total: 29.0 ) for vs Ref
Also rolled 2#d20+17(2) and got 20 [Total: 37.0 (High), Avg: 20.00]
Total: 66.0, Avg: 16.00
Gerald: "Oh my goddddds this is going to be stupid."
Aleith|DM rolled 2d8 and got 4, 6 ( Total: 10 )
Aleith|DM: A blinding light shines up as you fall in! And the crowd cheers!
Gerald‘ just jumps over the pit as it opens up.
Aleith|DM: Luckily, there’s a ladder that leads up from the bottom of the pit, and a handle lets you pull it open from below.
Phyllis brushes herself off. "… Well, then."
Aleith|DM: However, when you open the pit, you seem to have landed yourself in a different spot….
Zane: "Ahaha, excellent."
Aleith|DM: Chandrasekhar! Garrett!
Chandrasekhar: "…well, then."
Gerald: "There weren't still in the pit by the by."
Phyllis conjures her [Mage Hand] in the air above her, pointing downwards at her. More for the benefit of her teammates, not herself. (I STILL HAD A MINOR)
Aleith|DM: The hedges are 40 feet high
Aleith|DM: they can't see it
Aleith|DM: since your range is, what, 5 squares? and it's 8 squares high
[OOC] Phyllis: Okay. :(
Garrett‘ hustles forward, wallrunning over the pit, and kicks off to dodge around the corner. [Double Move]
Chandrasekhar uses [Spirit of the Virtuous Charger] and then takes a running jump over the pit.
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: My mom is screaming at me from downstairs and I have no idea how many movement that puts me at someone figure it out for me afk
Garrett: !Roll 1d20+3
Garrett` rolled 1d20+3 and got 19 ( Total: 22 )
[OOC] Garrett: well he made the jump
[OOC] Garrett: what’s the mud about
Aleith|DM: It's about a foot of water….overtop several feet of grease. You're gonna have to swim.
Aleith|DM: Or jump a good distance.
[OOC] Garrett: well we're both out of movement
Aleith|DM: Bears amble along.
Aleith|DM: Ernst?
Ernst runs along in the back. He doesn't seem that keen with this to begin with and he stops just short of the pit. He pauses before dropping Stocke in.
Aleith|DM rolled d8 and got 2 ( Total: 2 )
Stocke ends up in a different pit.
Ernst moves back to the entrance so he can get a running start over the first pit later. Stocke climbs out of the pit. [Other move]
Announcer: "As you saw folks, they fell for the pit trap! And it didn't catch just one, but two people at the same time! And it went off again! Although no one seems to have fallen in this time. We have another couple of bears entering the maze!"
Zane: "Please send more bears. There are not enough to make cloaks for all of us yet…"
Aleith|DM rolled 2d10 and got 6, 4 ( Total: 10 )
Aleith|DM: Btw, Zane, Phyllis, and Stocke each take 10 falling damage
[OOC] Ernst: No he doesn't. He's summoned when the contraption hits the bottom we've been over this.
Aleith|DM: Okay, but the other two do
Zane definitely does not. [Nimble Drop]
Aleith|DM: Right
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 28:Phyllis | 28:Zane | 26:Gerald | 24:Chandrasekhar | 24:Garrett | 23:Beran Bear A | 23:Beran Bear D | 21:Beran Bear B | 11:Beran Bear C | 7:Ernst |
Aleith|DM: Phyllis, Zane, Gerald!
Phyllis clambers out of the pit. [Double Move]
Zane climbs out of the pit and gets to the intersection. [Move, Silent Stalker]
Gerald‘ shakes his head, then cuts down to get enough room to make a running jump right around the corner and over the grease trap.
Gerald` rolled d20+17 and got 4 ( Total: 21 )
[OOC] Gerald: haha almost fucked that up but not quite
Aleith|DM: You jump diagonally to the northern part, right?
Aleith|DM: The ground beneath you snaps open, and blinding light shines up.
Aleith|DM rolled d20+17 and got 2 ( Total: 19 ) for vs Ref
[OOC] Gerald: yeah
If the attack missed, the target can grab onto the floor in its current space, dangling from the edge of the pit and preventing it from closing. Or he can return to the last space he was in. Or he can attempt an Athletics check to jump the 10-ft. pit and land safely on the far side. (standing start)
[OOC] Gerald: what would the DC on that be this page is actually kind of confusing lol
Aleith|DM: DC 20 to jump across
Aleith|DM: or you could hop to the western path with no check
Gerald` goin’ for it, worst comes to worst he falls into a pit and gets teleported somewhere else, big whoop.
Gerald‘ rolled d20+10 and got 14 ( Total: 24 )
Aleith|DM: Alright, you’re good
Aleith|DM: At least you know where another trap is though!
Aleith|DM: But your move basically ends there.
Gerald: "This is so dumbbb."
Aleith|DM: Chandrasekhar! Garrett!
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: can I Fey Step to next to Gerald, bypassing the grease trap and pit?
Aleith|DM: You can barely see around the corner from a space south, so yes from there.
Chandrasekhar steps into position and then -whoosh-. [Fey Step]
Aleith|DM: Garrett!
Gerald: "Cheater."
Garrett: "Ernst, you going to be okay?"
Ernst: "I'm tempted to just stay at the entrance. Stocke seems to be deeper than all of you by a long shot."
Zane: "That's because he's the most competent agent we have."
Aleith|DM: Technically, only one of you has to pass through the northern exit with a crown on….
Aleith|DM: Though more of you would look better.
Garrett: "…we should have given Stocke a crown."
Garrett: "Why didn't you put the crown on him!"
Garrett: "Better jump in the pit after him, eh?"
Ernst: "Doesn't work that way sadly."
Ernst: "The odds of me ending up in his location aren't very good."
Aleith|DM: You can definitely tell Stocke didn't end up in the same place as Phyllis and Zane, at least.
Garrett: "Alright, well, don't let a bear hit ya' where a dead god split ya'."
Garrett‘ breaks into a jog, kicks off a wall and bends north, continues his run over the pit, lands, tags Gerald, and moves around him.
Aleith|DM: DC 30 athletics?
[OOC] Garrett: I thought it was 20 :(
Aleith|DM: you’re jumping like 6 squares
Aleith|DM: in a complicated manuever
Gerald: (it got longer when I set off the trap))
Aleith|DM: It did, yes
Garrett‘ rolled 1d20+20 and got 8 ( Total: 28 )
Aleith|DM: Aaaand you just miss the edge of the pit
Aleith|DM rolled d20+17 and got 4 ( Total: 21 ) for vs Ref
Aleith|DM: but you can grab onto the lip and pull yourself up.
Gerald: "Can’t you like run along walls or some shit, man?"
Aleith|DM: which will end your movement beside Gerald instead.
Garrett: "I can phase through them too, but that's against the rules."
Aleith|DM: Hedge mazes aren't quite manmade, just man-tended.
Bears move.
Aleith|DM: Ernst!
Aleith|DM: And by that I really mean 'Stocke!' apparently.
[OOC] Garrett: oh yeah because of all those natural hedgemazes that are just a little overgrown in nature
Aleith|DM: They're still grown rather than built.
Stocke waddles across the hedgemaze under the cover of being unobserved.
Aleith|DM: Nothing tragic befalls the little robot.
Gerald: "These rules are crap yeah. It's like being back at the academy except they encouraged cheated."
Announcer: "Looks like we had a couple more close calls, folks, but they managed to avoid falling this time! A couple more bears on the loose!"
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 28:Phyllis | 28:Zane | 26:Gerald | 24:Chandrasekhar | 24:Garrett | 23:Beran Bear A | 23:Beran Bear D | 21:Beran Bear B | 11:Beran Bear C | 8:Beran Bear E | 7:Ernst | 6:Beran Bear F |
Aleith|DM: Phyllis! Zane! Gerald!
Phyllis peeks around the corner. "Pit's up this way."
Zane heads towards the sound of his favorite robot buddy.
[OOC] Zane: Move, Silent Stalker
Gerald: "Okie dokie." Gerald flashes a thumbs up as he zoomed past Phyllis, then leaps past it.
Aleith|DM: Phyllis moving at all?
Aleith|DM: Chandrasekhar! Garrett!
Phyllis gets a running start and heads north, just a bit before Gerald.
Phyllis rolled d20+5 and got 15 ( Total: 20.0 ) for athletics, right
Aleith|DM: Yep, you're fine.
Garrett‘ hustles after his besties. [Double Move and a jump]
Aleith|DM: And Garrett apparently auto-passes anything 20 feet or less with a running start….
Chandrasekhar moves over and then takes a running leap across the pit to join the others! [Double Move]
Aleith|DM: Athletics?
Garrett` rolled 1d20+3 and got 9 ( Total: 12 )
Announcer: "What is with our Green contestant? I swear I just felt the earth shake when he jumped that pit."
Aleith|DM: Bears move.
Aleith|DM: Ernst!
Stocke waddles forward setting off pit #1 (likely) Ernst climbs the wall to the left of him or tries to anyways.
Aleith|DM: Stocke sees a bear when he rounds the corner!
Aleith|DM: And then falls into a pit, yes.
Aleith|DM rolled d20+17 and got 16 ( Total: 33 ) for ref
Aleith|DM: He sure does!
Aleith|DM rolled d8 and got 3 ( Total: 3 )
Stockes siren goes off full blast as he appears elsewhere.
Aleith|DM: And lands in yet another pit!
[OOC] Ernst: What do I roll to climb?
[OOC] Ernst: Is there a DC rather
Aleith|DM: DC 15 atheltics to climb the hedge wall
Aleith|DM: Are you wearing gloves and boots?
[OOC] Ernst: I have gloves yes
Aleith|DM: okay you don’t take 1 point of damage for climbing it
Aleith|DM: It's very prickly
Gerald: "Stocke Found A Thing, sounds like."
[OOC] Ernst: I just noticed 4E doesn't have climbing what skill is this lol
Aleith|DM: Oh, if you mean the stone wall
Aleith|DM: Athletics
Aleith|DM: DC 30 for the green stone wall
Aleith|DM: :D
Ernst rolled d20+6 and got 14 ( Total: 20.0 )
Aleith|DM: You don't make any progress.
Ernst shrugs and goes back to monitoring Stocke.
[OOC] Ernst: If he fell before I used the 2nd move I'm using that to climb out of this pit
Aleith|DM rolled 2d10 and got 3, 7 ( Total: 10 )
Aleith|DM: He takes 10 falling damage this time and you spend the move action to have Stocke Stand Up from prone
Announcer: "Looks like we had someone fall in another pit trap! But I'm not sure what's causing that siren, because they're not wearing a crown, and all 6 of them are still moving! Even if Orange isn't moving very far! We welcome more bears into the maze!"
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 28:Phyllis | 28:Zane | 26:Gerald | 24:Chandrasekhar | 24:Garrett | 24:Beran Bear G | 23:Beran Bear A | 23:Beran Bear D | 21:Beran Bear B | 13:Beran Bear H | 11:Beran Bear C | 8:Beran Bear E | 7:Ernst | 6:Beran Bear F |
Aleith|DM: Phyllis! Zane! Gerald!
Using a minor to give Stocke 36 THP and Ernst half of that.
Gerald: "Hmm…"
Gerald: "Bet there's a trap to the left."
Garrett: "They're not -that- well hidden…"
Gerald‘ starts running that way, making the easy jump.
Phyllis points at Garrett. "You."
Phyllis: "I’m following you." [Wait]
Garrett‘ grins. "You get it."
Aleith|DM: You haven’t run into a trap yet, Gerald.
Aleith|DM: Zane?
Gerald: "Shockingly clear!"
Zane moves along the hedges. "Hssst! Ernst, send me Stocke!" [Move, Silent Stalker]
Zane can almost certainly hear the siren nearby.
Aleith|DM: Chandrasekhar? Garrett?
Gerald: "This just occured to me but we don't even really have to fight the bear right, it's just another obstacle?"
Phyllis: "Precisely."
Chandrasekhar hauls -ass- past Gerald. [Double Run]
Garrett‘ hustles. [Double Run]
Aleith|DM: Phyllis?
Phyllis tries to hop the grease pit diagonally -
Phyllis rolled d20+5 and got 12 ( Total: 17.0 ) for athletics
Phyllis: - and continues double-moving behind Garrett.
Aleith|DM: You’re good
Gerald: "What what the fuck -" Gerald glances to the side, giving Garrett a 'that just happened' look as Chandra zooms past them.
Garrett‘ nods. "He’s serious."
Bears move.
Aleith|DM: Ernst?
Gerald: "HEY BRUSE DO I GOTTA GO UNDER YOUR FANCY SEAT TO WIN OR IS COMING UP TO YOU COOL TOO?"
Stocke climbs out of the pit and waddles up to Zane. Ernst is going to try and climb that wall two more times and hope he rolls a 20.
Ernst rolled 2d20 and got 3, 10 ( Total: 13 )
Announcer: "The rules said not to approach the Bruse! Go through the northern exit or you're disqualified!"
The Bruse's platform is technically above the hedge maze, after all.
Gerald: "SO UNDER IT. OKAY!" Gerald throws a salute in the direction of the announcer.
Announcer: "And we've got the last of the bears entering the maze now!"
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 28:Zane | 26:Gerald | 24:Chandrasekhar | 24:Garrett | 24:Phyllis | 24:Beran Bear G | 24:Beran Bear I | 23:Beran Bear A | 23:Beran Bear D | 21:Beran Bear B | 13:Beran Bear H | 11:Beran Bear C | 8:Beran Bear E | 7:Ernst | 6:Beran Bear F |
Stocke gestures to Zane suggesting something is around the corner.
Aleith|DM: Zane! Gerald!
Zane nods and plops his crown on Stocke's head as he goes around the corner. [Silent Stalker move, lets see whats up…]
Gerald‘ runs up a bit and around inside the hedges.
Aleith|DM: You see two bears in front of you! The closer one seems to be half-standing on a pit, bright light shining through the crack below.
Gerald: "Okay later guys."
Gerald` then fades into mist, and reappears past the bear, out of the northern exit. [Step of Morning Mist]
[OOC] Zane: Hmmm. OK so now the question is… how do I snatch the bears crown with crazy parkour shit and keep moving.
Aleith|DM: Grapple attack but grab the crown instead of the bear?
Aleith|DM: That’s not the northern exit….
[OOC] Zane: Sounds good. I even have a couple of different grab moves, Garrotte Strangle and Hidden Blade haha. I think Hidden Blade this time, maximum karambit
Aleith|DM: And in fact is straight-up inside a hedge wall, Gerald….
[OOC] Gerald: … oh. … oh I've been under a hilarious misconception this entire time because I didn't even see that
Aleith|DM: You also don't have line of sight through the hedge walls
Gerald‘ didn’t do ANY OF THAT SHIT AT ALL he just straight up running through the hedge
Aleith|DM: Alright.
Zane uses the darkness to his advantage, leaping out of the shadows and landing on the bear to take its crown. [Hidden stab]
Zane rolled 1d20+18 and got 16 ( Total: 34.0 ) for vs AC
Aleith|DM: Hit!
Zane chooses to deal no damage to the bear! He's not a monster. But that's his crown now by god.
Aleith|DM: It sure is!
Aleith|DM: I guess I don't roll an OA for something they couldn't see…
Aleith|DM: Until now, anyway.
Aleith|DM: Chandrasekhar? Garrett? Phyllis?
Garrett‘ hauls ass down the hedgemaze.
Phyllis does so as well. With her stubby little dwarf legs. [Run, double move]
Chandrasekhar [Double Run]s one more time!
Aleith|DM: Zane are you riding the bear or one square left?
[OOC] Zane: I’m grappling it, so I assumed I'd have to be in its square since its bigger than me. otherwise one square left)
Aleith|DM: Nah you're usually adjacent.
Aleith|DM: But either way, both bears swat at you. [Filed Claws]
Aleith|DM rolled 2#d20+20(1) and got 11 ( Total: 31.0 ) for CA from flanking
Also rolled 2#d20+20(2) and got 2 [Total: 22.0 (Low), Avg: 2.00]
Total: 53.0, Avg: 6.50
Aleith|DM rolled 3d6+10 and got 4, 5, 3 ( Total: 22.0 )
Aleith|DM: Its furry paw swats Zane for 22 damage, but it just stings, since the claws have been clipped.
Aleith|DM: Ernst?
Ernst chews at his lip before deciding to just walk into the pit in front of him. Stocke waddles forward.
Aleith|DM: I guess I don't need to make an attack roll then…?
[OOC] Ernst: What?
Stocke fires a Gale-Forced infusion on Zane.
Aleith|DM: For Ernst
Ernst rolled 2#d20+16(1) and got 9 ( Total: 25.0 ) for vs reflex on bears
Also rolled 2#d20+16(2) and got 15 [Total: 31.0 (High), Avg: 15.00]
Total: 56.0, Avg: 12.00
Aleith|DM: And the pit trap…?
Aleith|DM: Hits!
Ernst rolled d10+8 and got 10 ( Total: 18.0 )
The bears are now not flanking Zane. Zane has +6 AC UeoNT
[OOC] Ernst: I have THP Ernst literally just hopped in
Aleith|DM rolled 2d10 and got 6, 5 ( Total: 11 )
Aleith|DM: 11 falling damage
Aleith|DM rolled d8 and got 4 ( Total: 4 )
Aleith|DM: And he ends up in Pit #4
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 18! * 2!
Announcer: "And lastly, we've got the B.E.A.R. entering the maze! A gift from Pemberton Industries, this mechnical bear is one of their latest products!"
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 28:Zane | 26:Gerald | 24:Chandrasekhar | 24:Garrett | 24:Phyllis | 24:Beran Bear G | 24:Beran Bear I | 23:Beran Bear A | 23:Beran Bear D | 21:Beran Bear B | 15:B.E.A.R. | 13:Beran Bear H | 11:Beran Bear C | 8:Beran Bear E | 7:Ernst | 6:Beran Bear F |
Chandrasekhar: "Oh, no."
Aleith|DM: Zane! Gerald!
Garrett: "Hey, wait a second. He didn't say 'bear,' he just spelled it!"
Chandrasekhar: "This isn't traditional at all!"
Announcer: "And we're starting to hear combat! The bears have run into the combatants!"
Ernst finally uses his Ring of Calling and ends up beside Stocke. He has sight of the area via his robot. [Minor]
[OOC] Aleith|DM: cancelled
Zane decides to just break loose, [Ghost of the Rooftops] as he climbs along the wall to go over the bears and then [Silent Stalker] as he drops down to the ground and keeps moving]
Aleith|DM: You can't Silent Stalker if you aren't currently hidden…
Gerald‘ runs up and skids to a stop in front of the pit while other things are going on, just, for postarity.
Aleith|DM: Chandrasekhar! Garrett! Phyllis!
[OOC] Zane: Oh yeah. OK then I’m moving and then hiding
Aleith|DM: with what cover and/or concealment?
Phyllis hustles up to Chandra. "One question."
[OOC] Zane: It's dark in here!
Chandrasekhar: "Ye~s?"
Phyllis: "Within the context of this contest."
Aleith|DM: You glow dimly! Hiding is basically impossible
Phyllis: "Are charms still, uh, looked down upon?"
[OOC] Zane: You just wanna make me fight more bears
Aleith|DM: yes
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: aleith are they halp
Aleith|DM: And the bears have low-light vision anyway
Aleith|DM: What they don't know won't hurt them, Chandra…?
Chandrasekhar glances at Phyllis and shrugs. "As long as it's not a charm to burn the hedge maze down…"
Gerald: "Man."
Gerald: "They put a fucking automaton bear up in here?"
Gerald: "No one gets to complain if they get knocked around a bit. That's what they're anglin' to do to us!"
Garrett: "There's a lotta bear going on in this hallway."
Phyllis: "Children complain."
Gerald: "We aren't adults yet, mom."
Garrett: "What I just said is a 'before' statement." He draws his daggers.
Chandrasekhar takes a running jump over the last pit trap, first of all…
Chandrasekhar rolled d20+3 and got 17 ( Total: 20 ) for I think?
Aleith|DM: You're good.
Aleith|DM: Sadly.
Aleith|DM: It would have been hilarious (for me) if you'd fallen in now.
Chandrasekhar thwacks Bear A with a [Ardent Strike] while imposing a [Divine Challenge] on B!
Chandrasekhar rolled d20+20 and got 14 ( Total: 34 )
Aleith|DM: Hit!
Chandrasekhar rolled d8+13 and got 3 ( Total: 16 ) for +5 to damage b/c of Virtuous Charger active, divine sanction UEONT
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 16!
Chandrasekhar: "Hello again, Mr. Bieito!"
Zane: "Mister Singh, you got here fast."
Chandrasekhar: "One tries one's humble best."
Garrett‘ dashes around the corner, and with a quick step, he’s over the pit in a flash! He rushes toward Beran Bear A! [Vaulting Strike]
Garrett‘ rolled 1d20+20 and got 7 ( Total: 27 ) for vs AC
Aleith|DM: Hit!
Garrett: "Let’s tangle, fuzzy."
Garrett‘ rolled 3d4+18 and got 2, 2, 2 ( Total: 24 ) for vuln 5 cold
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 24!
[OOC] Garrett: +6 AC UEoNT
Aleith|DM: A couple more bears advance into the maze path!
Aleith|DM: Bear A swats at Chandrasekhar!
Aleith|DM rolled d20+18 and got 9 ( Total: 27 )
Aleith|DM: Missing!
Aleith|DM: Bear C moves to flank with E and they swat at Zane!
Aleith|DM rolled d20+18 and got 1 ( Total: 19 ) for CA but marked
Aleith|DM rolled d20+20 and got 13 ( Total: 33 )
Aleith|DM rolled 3d10+10 and got 8, 7, 6 ( Total: 31.0 )
Aleith|DM: And Zane is hit for 31!
Zane roars for the benefit of the crowd. [Bloodied]
Gerald: "Hey Zane why does Ber have so many bears."
Zane: "Its in the name."
Aleith|DM: But Bear C is zapped by Chandra! And E in divine retribution!
Garrett: "No."
Gerald: "This is unbearable."
Garrett: "No!"
Garrett: "Bears is longer than Ber!"
Garrett: "Ber is in the bears!"
Gerald: "I can bearly believe how many there are."
Ernst: "I’ll catch up to you guys soon. I just have to get my bearings."
Zane: "Its a good thing everyone is here to bear witness to these terrible puns."
[14] radiant damage and Slow UEONT to Bear C, Bear E takes [5] fire/radiant damage!
Aleith|DM: The bears would groan but they don't speak Common.
Gerald: "Everything about this is bad and dumb and ungood."
Aleith|DM: Ernst!
Zane: "Except the bears."
Gerald: "ESEPECIALLY THE BEARS."
Stocke fires a [Magic Weapon] at Bear H.
Ernst rolled d20+19 and got 13 ( Total: 32.0 )
Aleith|DM: Hit!
Ernst rolled d8+10 and got 2 ( Total: 12.0 ) for Gerald gets +2 to hit, brutal 1, +4 damage. Bear gets -1 AC, Stocke swaps with the bear.
Stocke then waddles around the corner.
Gerald: "STOCKE YOU TRAITOR!"
Aleith|DM: There's more bears
Gerald: "I OILED YOU YESTERDAY YOU SON OF A BITCH!"
Ernst gets out of the hole.
Bear H almost squishes Gerald.
Aleith|DM: Nonetheless, it's squeezing and grants CA until its next turn when it can move or Gerald moves out of its space…
Gerald‘ knows from t-rex that is *isn’t* squished though, and continues to swear at the contraption.
Chandrasekhar: "…I suppose it could be worse. It could be another stampede."
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 28:Zane | 26:Gerald | 24:Chandrasekhar | 24:Garrett | 24:Phyllis | 24:Beran Bear G | 24:Beran Bear I | 23:Beran Bear A | 23:Beran Bear D | 21:Beran Bear B | 15:B.E.A.R. | 13:Beran Bear H | 11:Beran Bear C | 8:Beran Bear E | 7:Ernst | 6:Beran Bear F |
Aleith|DM: Zane! Gerald!
Garrett: "A stampede of bears."
Chandrasekhar: "An endless ursine tide."
Announcers: "Looks like the red and white crowns swapped places! There's a lot of shooting, growling, and stabbing going on down there, folks!"
[OOC] Aleith|DM: *one of the red and the white crowns
Garrett: "Multiple kodak moments."
Zane: "Kodiak moments."
Garrett: "Eyyyyyyyyyyy."
Gerald‘ sighs, aiming around the bear and firing his blaster at the balcony the Bruse is sitting on, then shoots a grappling hook out of it, and sails past the bear and uses the momentum to keep going for a bit [Mobility Shot] before rolling his eyes and shrugging in midair, before fading into mist and reappearing past a few more. [Step of Mourning Mist]
Zane: "Oh, hello Gerald."
Gerald: "Hey."
Gerald` then [AP] keeps running past this last fucking bear since he’s got +5 defenses anyway.
Zane uses the wall as a springboard again, vaulting over and rolling down Bear Gs back before hustling around the corner with Stocke.
Aleith|DM rolled d20+18 and got 4 ( Total: 22 ) for OA
Aleith|DM: Missing!
Gerald: "WHY ARE THERE MORE BEARS!"
Zane grins.
Gerald: "BEARS, BEARS AS FAR AS THE EYE CAN SEE."
Aleith|DM rolled d20+20 and got 3 ( Total: 23.0 ) for OAs vs Zane
Also rolled 2#d20+18(1) and got 8 [Total: 26.0 (Low), Avg: 8.00]
Also rolled 2#d20+18(2) and got 4 [Total: 22.0 (Low), Avg: 4.00]
Total: 71.0, Avg: 5.00
Aleith|DM: Also all missing
Aleith|DM: Chandrasekhar! Garrett! Phyllis!
Phyllis: "So uh."
Chandrasekhar: "Hrmph."
Phyllis just flicks her wrist to conjure her [Mage Hand] near Bear H and decides to give Gerald some cover distraction while the bear plays with images of Beran goats to try and herd. [Winged Horde]
[OOC] Phyllis: oh wait gerald's not there
[OOC] Phyllis: uh
Chandrasekhar probably can't do anything actually useful at this point so instead he swings his sword in a wide circle before stabbing at Bear A, somehow catching bear H in the shockwave! [Castigating Strike]
Chandrasekhar rolled d20+19 and got 11 ( Total: 30 ) for vs. AC
[OOC] Phyllis: Illusory Ambush], not Winged Horde! But same thing.
Chandrasekhar rolled 3d8+8 and got 2, 7, 3 ( Total: 20 ) for damage to Bear A, A and H are both subject to Divine Sanction
Phyllis rolled d20+20 and got 18 ( Total: 38.0 ) for vs Will
Phyllis rolled d6+13 and got 3 ( Total: 16.0 ) for Psychic and takes -2 tohit UEoPNT
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 20!] Bloodied! Bear A takes off in a yelping retreat! [Effectively KO!
Garrett: "Hah, okay."
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 16!] to H!
[OOC] Garrett: I hadn't gone yet but we can do this
Aleith|DM: Oh right
Gerald: "I can't bear the thought of you taking even a single step closer!!"
Gerald‘ waves his shotgun in the bear’s direction.
Garrett‘ advances a bit and flicks his dagger towards Bear C! [Sly Flourish]
Garrett` rolled 1d20+20 and got 8 ( Total: 28 ) for vs AC
Aleith|DM: Hit!
Garrett` rolled 1d4+22 and got 3 ( Total: 25 ) for vuln 5 cold
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 25!
Aleith|DM: Bears C and G charge Garrett and Gerald!
Gerald: "Uuugh."
Aleith|DM rolled 2#d20+19(1) and got 8 ( Total: 27.0 )
[Immediate Interrupt - Acrobat’s Escape]
Also rolled 2#d20+19(2) and got 4 [Total: 23.0 (Low), Avg: 4.00]
Total: 50.0, Avg: 6.00
Aleith|DM: Missing!
Aleith|DM: Bear H charges Chandrasekhar!
Gerald‘ spins around and slaps the bears paw with his shotgun.
Aleith|DM rolled d20+19 and got 13 ( Total: 32 )
Gerald: "Did you not just hear me?!"
Aleith|DM rolled 3d10+10 and got 9, 2, 2 ( Total: 23.0 )
Aleith|DM: Swatting the eladrin for 23!
Aleith|DM: And Bear I swipes at Zane!
Aleith|DM rolled d20+18 and got 6 ( Total: 24 )
Aleith|DM: Missing!
Gerald: "I HEARED LOUD MECHANICAL STOMPING."
Aleith|DM: You can hear some clanking to the west, Zane and Gerald.
Aleith|DM: Ernst!
Gerald: "Zane is it time to just start shooting these fuckers."
Garrett: "Everyone heard you shouting!"
Gerald: "I think it might be."
Stocke glances at Zane before playing a chip tune with its siren. It pumps its arms up and down in the air and both of them slide right past the double bears. [Slick Concoction] It seems Stocke hasn’t forgotten about you after all, Gerald. He moved you one left and out of the bears reach.
[OOC] Ernst: Waiting to see if I see B.E.A.R before I move again
Aleith|DM: Not yet
[OOC] Ernst: What do I need to roll to climb on it I'm curious
Aleith|DM: Atheltics at least. Probably easier to climb the wall, honestly
[OOC] Ernst: What's the DC for that my robot gets +0 so :D
Aleith|DM: Roll and I'll tell you if it works :D
Stocke uses Second Wind waiting for Zane to hopefully throw him. >.>
[OOC] Ernst: EoT
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 28:Zane | 26:Gerald | 24:Chandrasekhar | 24:Garrett | 24:Phyllis | 24:Beran Bear G | 24:Beran Bear I | 23:Beran Bear J | 23:Beran Bear D | 21:Beran Bear B | 15:B.E.A.R. | 13:Beran Bear H | 11:Beran Bear C | 8:Beran Bear E | 7:Ernst | 6:Beran Bear F |
Aleith|DM: Zane! Gerald!
Zane ducks away from the bears [OA] and hustles over to Stocke, snatching the robot up by the legs and hurling it over the robot bear with a laugh.
Aleith|DM rolled d20+18 and got 11 ( Total: 29 )
Gerald‘ climbs up the wall and over the bears a bit, before sprinting around the corner behind Zane and … well not Stocke he just went airborne.
Aleith|DM rolled 3d10+10 and got 8, 5, 9 ( Total: 32.0 )
Aleith|DM: OA hits for 32!
Zane staggers but stays on his feet…
Stocke shimmers on Zane. [Energy Conversion - -9 damage on the hit, +15 THP after]
Aleith|DM: Athletics check to hurl Stocke!
Zane rolled d20+15 and got 17 ( Total: 32 )
Aleith|DM: You manage to land him just behind the B.E.A.R.!
Zane cackles.
Aleith|DM: Athletics, Gerald?
Gerald: "Dammit I was totally gunna get first."
Gerald` rolled d20+10 and got 20 ( Total: 30 )
Aleith|DM: You’re good!
Aleith|DM: Climbing's half speed though.
Aleith|DM: Chandrasekhar! Garrett! Phyllis!
[OOC] Gerald: yeah I remembered that much
Aleith|DM: Just checking
Gerald: "This is the second ultimate betrayl in as many minutes Stocke!"
Zane: "I can throw you next…?"
Garrett‘ lunges for Bear C! [Piercing Strike]
Garrett` rolled 1d20+22 and got 15 ( Total: 37 ) for vs Ref
Aleith|DM: Hit!
Gerald: "Hmm…"
Phyllis hits Bear H with another [Illusory Ambush]
Phyllis rolled d20+20 and got 1 ( Total: 21.0 ) for vs Will
Garrett` rolled 1d4+23 and got 4 ( Total: 27 )
Also rolled 3d8 and got 1, 4, 1 [Total: 6]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 33
Gerald` looks like he’s considering it, really.
Chandrasekhar strikes Bear H with [Ardent Strike] while placing a [Divine Challenge] on Bear C, provoking them both!
Chandrasekhar rolled d20+19 and got 15 ( Total: 34 )
Aleith|DM: Bear C scampers off! [KO!]
Garrett‘ picks up Bear C’s crown!!
Phyllis rolled d6+13 and got 4 ( Total: 17.0 ) for Psychic and takes -2 tohit UEoPNT
Chandrasekhar rolled d8+8 and got 7 ( Total: 15 ) for subject to divine sanction!
[OOC] Aleith|DM: a 1 doesn't hit, Doman….
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 15!
[OOC] Phyllis: sorry was kinda distracted
Aleith|DM: Bear H attacks Chandrasekhar!
Aleith|DM rolled d20+18 and got 20 ( Total: 38 )
Aleith|DM: Critically hitting for 40!
Aleith|DM: Bear E swipes at Garrett!
Aleith|DM rolled d20+18 and got 13 ( Total: 31 )
Aleith|DM rolled 3d10+10 and got 6, 9, 2 ( Total: 27.0 )
Aleith|DM: Hitting for 27!
Aleith|DM: Bear J ambles up and swipes at Gerald!
Aleith|DM rolled d20+18 and got 17 ( Total: 35 )
[Immediate Interrupt - Swift Parry. Gain a bonus to defenses against the triggering attack equal to CHA mod (+4), gain CA against the attacker UEoNT.]
Gerald: "IM DROWNIN IN BEAR"
Aleith|DM: Oh, well guess that misses Garrett then
Aleith|DM rolled 3d10+10 and got 2, 8, 4 ( Total: 24.0 )
Aleith|DM: Hitting Gerald for 24!
Aleith|DM: The B.E.A.R. swipes with its much sharper claws at Stocke, trying to pull the poor robot against the jagged blades along its underbelly! [Grab]
Aleith|DM rolled 2#d20+18(1) and got 1 ( Total: 19.0 )
Also rolled 2#d20+18(2) and got 4 [Total: 22.0 (Low), Avg: 4.00]
Total: 41.0, Avg: 2.50
[OOC] Ernst: NAT 1
Aleith|DM: But both miss.
[OOC] Ernst: IT WAS MEANT TO BE
Gerald‘ also defensive volley’d that for -10 dmg, obviously.
Aleith|DM: Ernst!
[OOC] Zane: STOCKE DA REAL MVP
Stocke shimmers one more time, healing Zane for [+36 HP] in thanks. It then waddles all the way out of the maze.
Aleith|DM rolled d20+18 and got 3 ( Total: 21 ) for OA
Aleith|DM: Missing again.
[OOC] Garrett: CAN'T BLOCK THE STOCKE
Announcer: "It looks like the white crown has made it past the defenders and out of the exit!"
Gerald: "Man he didn't even help us with the robot bear."
Garrett‘ looks up toward the sky.
Garrett: "Hah! Hahaha! He did it!"
Zane shrugs. "Priorities."
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 28:Zane | 26:Gerald | 24:Chandrasekhar | 24:Garrett | 24:Phyllis | 24:Beran Bear G | 24:Beran Bear I | 23:Beran Bear J | 23:Beran Bear D | 21:Beran Bear B | 15:B.E.A.R. | 13:Beran Bear H | 11:Beran Bear C | 8:Beran Bear E | 7:Ernst | 6:Beran Bear F |
Aleith|DM: The bears continue advancing
Aleith|DM: Zane? Gerald?
Gerald: "Anyway I’ma shrink it."
Zane: "Awesome. then carry it out with you like a disobedient puppy."
Announcer: "Apparently a small contraption is making its way out the exit…?"
Zane: "Its wearing the crown, we win!"
Chandrasekhar: "…hahahah, Goddess.
Gerald‘ hoist up his blast and fires off a [Shrink Ray] at the B.E.A.R.
Gerald` rolled 2#d20+19(1) and got 17 ( Total: 36 )
Also rolled 2#d20+19(2) and got 12 [Total: 31]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 67
Aleith|DM rolled d20+18 and got 8 ( Total: 26 ) for OA from Bear J
Aleith|DM: Hits though!
Zane: "Your robot bear versus our Stocke. Truly there was no contest."
Aleith|DM: And the bear misses you
Gerald` rolled 5d8+13 and got 1, 1, 2, 1, 6 ( Total: 24 )
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 24!] And it’s shunken!
[OOC] Aleith|DM: *shrunken
Gerald‘ then runs past it.
Aleith|DM rolled d20+0 and got 20 ( Total: 20 ) for save for shrink ray
Aleith|DM: There’s some more scuffling with half of you back there, but with two actual contestants walking out the gate shortly afterwards, the bear handlers call off the bears and they turn around and start hustling away.
[OOC] Ernst: Stocke is people too you hater. :'(
Zane strolls out holding the B.E.A.R. by the scruff of its mechanical neck and sets it off to the side. "Looks expensive, glad we made it out without smashing it too much."
Aleith|DM: The Bruse congratulates you and asks you to meet him at his throne room so he can grant you an audience right away.
[OOC] Aleith|DM: yes, you don't even get time to clean up
Ernst is thankfully in perfect shape since he never really went into the maze…
Aleith|DM: You did fall a bit…
[OOC] Ernst: With THP!
Gerald: "That sure was silly."
Zane: "Its good to be home."
Garrett: "I hope some of them liked it, considering you couldn't see much…"
Ernst: "I admit situations like this I'm really happy I decided to become a golemologist. Not a fan of the whole pit hopping and pitfalls thing."
Zane: "I wonder of Lya got the message."
Zane spins the red crown around his finger. "When its time… she'll never see me coming."
[OOC] Zane: /The Mandarin
Gerald: "Yeah you'd think at this point she'd know we're fucking amazing but."
Zane: "Its OK. *We* know we're fucking amazing."

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License