Zg Session 50

Aleith|DM: Spring 12, 501 AOV
Aleith|DM: Delft's called you into his office for a briefing at 9 this morning. Unlike when Saxby is in charge, there's actually places to sit at in front of his desk, much like his previous office.
Delft: "Good morning, Constables. Give me a rundown on how things are progressing."
Gerald‘ has an additional shotgun holstered across his back when he wanders into the office today, and is fiddling with another one in his hand. There’s a lot of random wires wrapped around it, what what looks like a small battery attached to it where the ammunition casing used to be. "Uh weird evil fey wizard is dead, Kell's behind bars, figured out a way into the Gate, and we're… pretty
Gerald‘ sure we know where the cultist are deploying their super bomb? "
Zane stands, hands clasped at the small of his back. Parade rest. The ’I fucked up, but I'm not all that sorry' pose. "Kell's guild is done. There's still dregs we haven't put away yet, but with the information from Kell, his lawyer, and the lieutenants, it's a done deal. Which is going to lead to a different problem. But that's back-burnered for now."
Delft just gives Zane a flat stare. "You better be glad that those buildings you blew up were owned by people other guild members are giving up for leniency; otherwise we'd probably have lawsuits raining down on us from them."
Phyllis: "They found their proper end."
Zane: "Permission to speak freely, sir?"
Delft: "Go ahead."
Gerald‘ snorts at Phyllis.
Chandrasekhar smiles, ever so faintly. This is going to be good.
Zane: "I would do it again and not lose a minutes sleep. We didn’t just break the guild, we tore its heart out. And we did it where everybody could see. My only regret is the good men and women that made the ultimate sacrifice. Consider the city lucky the Theater isn't *still* burning as a tribute to them."
Zane: "The civilians know we haven't forgotten about them. Future criminals will think twice. Established criminals about to fill the power vacuum have been forewarned."
Ernst scratches his head. "Regarding our next operation, though… I'd look into evacuating the warehouses above the rail-line. You don't need to evacuate the destination, but if in the worst case scenario the bomb does end up going off it'd likely go off there."
Delft: "And while it got the job done, some people are asking about excessive force and how much leniency the RHC has. If you haven't seen today's issue of the Flint Tribune, they're blasting us about 'blatant disregard for property' and 'flagrant misuse of authority' in your handling of it today."
[OOC] Aleith|DM: *yesterday
Chandrasekhar: "Yes, sir. And the city's safe from Kell. That is what they'll remember, in six months, I imagine."
Phyllis: "What of the people that joined Kell out of necessity, though?"
Phyllis: "Poverty or crime, if workers lose jobs to desperate souls from elsewhere willing to work for cheaper."
Phyllis: "Crime is a symptom, a hydra's single head."
Delft: "If they're guilty of a crime, they'll still be charged. Doesn't matter why they did it."
Phyllis: "Correct. I'm agreeing with you in that it's naive to think that people will somehow think twice because we flexed our muscle."
Phyllis: "Maybe scare off a subset."
Gerald: "I'm pretty sure no one is benching Zane for his behaviour until at least the summit is over anyway so… moving along?"
Phyllis: "Sure. Just trying to keep him honest."
Delft: "Alright. Let's move back to the terrorists since the task force will be working on tying up loose ends with Kell's guild today."
Zane takes a seat. "I'm a little out of touch on this, I admit."
Phyllis: "It's like chess to me."
Gerald‘ nods, taking a screw driver out of his coat and fiddling with the gun a bit.
Phyllis: "Last we looked into this, we figured out a route they would be likely to take, if I recall"
There’s a knock on the door. Delft tells them to come in, and Delft's secretary comes in. "Sir? We just received a sending from Central Precinct. There's been a terrorist attack at the Sharon M. Baker Station opening, and they kidnapped several VIPs, including Governor Stanfield!"
Delft: "Well, speak of the devil. I guess you'll be heading out post-haste?"
Zane: "I guess we will, at that."
Gerald: "Huh.
Ernst: "The payload they're delivering has a big enough blast radius to take out a district. Interception of the train is not advised as that'd lower the time we have to actually stop the bomb opposed to run and gunning our way on to it at the station."
Phyllis: "… Well."
Delft: "I'll get Carlao and the others to swing by Golden Point and clear out a place above-ground where you can defuse the bomb if you need to. Get going."
Chandrasekhar: "That's… certainly… brazen of them."
Phyllis: "A suicide cult? Brazen?"
Chandrasekhar: "I suppose."
Gerald‘ sighs, putting the screw driver back in his coat. "I guess this’ll do for a test run." Before getting up, nodding to Delft, and heading out.
Ernst: "Ideally speaking, we want to stop them before they start the fuse but I don't think our odds are very good. It's likely that as we're stopping them, one of the terrorists will ignite the device. Which means we'd have… how many minutes again to move the train to a safe location and defuse the bomb?"
Ernst scrunches up his face and goes to look for that paperwork on ignition time.
Delft: "I think the notes said 28 minutes and some-odd seconds?"
Delft: "I'm sure you'll handle it fine, Ernst. Serena managed to disarm several smaller bombs, you'll be fine with one larger one."
[OOC] Zane: * From down the hall a screech. "BOOOOOOMBS?!?!"
Ernst clicks his tongue. "Tch. You can't even compare her gadget handling to the RHC mascot. I'd be an embarrassment if I let it go off."
Gerald: "Also, dead!"
Phyllis: "You'd have to be alive to be embarrassed."
Phyllis nods at Gerald.
Gerald: "(No pressure.)"
Zane: "I know I would certainly me embarrassed. And surprised. And quickly dead, yeah."
Ernst shakes his head. "If any of you have suggestions or plans to stop them from igniting it in the first place once we see the layout of the hostage situation I'd like to hear it."
Ernst: "Provided they do ignite the device, I planned to run the train under Golden Point alone to defuse it. I've already requested an evacuation of the warehouses in that area so unless someone really wanted to stick around I'd be the only casualty."
Chandrasekhar: "I'll certainly take that under consideration, although given that we're dealing with a suicide cult, I struggle to imagine what sort of diplomatic outreach might be on the table."
Zane: "We're actually gonna try and talk to them first?"
Zane absently rubs his eye.
Chandrasekhar frowns at Ernst. "…let's make sure that's not necessary."
Phyllis: "If they were willing to listen to such philosophy in the first place, they may yet listen to more."
Phyllis: "This is the difference between Zane's approach and mine."
Ernst grins at Chandra. "Better try hard to not let that bomb get lit, then. Personally I'm probably going to teleport beside it at the first given opportunity and blast everything nearby with what I've got."
Zane head-bobs at Phyllis. "Its a suicide cult. I'm just trying to help."
Ernst: "The fact that the VIPs are still alive tells me that they are wanting to talk to someone, no?"
Ernst: "Why not just murder them and run the bomb to the summit right away?"
Phyllis: "We can walk and talk at the same time, yes?"
Gerald: "That's what we've been doing this entire time!"
Phyllis looks down at her feet. "Oh, so we have."
Gerald: "Anyway they probably have the VIPs alive as a distraction, not because they have any desire to see reason subconsciously."
Gerald: "Harder for us to move in if we gotta stab through the governor and all."
Zane: "Ish."
Gerald: "And keeps our attention focused on them, and not the bomb."
Aleith|DM: Eventually, your carriage gets you to the station. Several police officers are standing guard around the two entrances to the station, keeping away curious bystanders. They direct you to the person in charge, Colonel Aden Tucker.
Phyllis: "Do we know of anyone to look for? Or any way to detect the bomb in a short amount of time?"
Tucker: "'Morning, Constables. What can I do for you? I assure you, my men have everything in hand."
Gerald: "Oh, you guys already apprehended the death cultists and took their super city levelling bomb apart? Awesome."
Phyllis: "Everything?"
Ernst: "I'm here on bomb disposal. I've studied the device and am easily the most qualified person in this city to disarm it."
Zane just hangs back and looks menacing. Not… difficult, really.
Tucker: "We're waiting on a task force of forty soldiers to arrive. We'll overwhelm them."
Zane: "…"
Ernst: "They're just going to start the train and take the payload with them if you try that."
Gerald: "I suppose in your defense it's not like the governor can really die, I guess?"
Gerald‘ scratches at the side of his face.
Tucker: "…that changes nothing! We’ll just close in from the tunnels on both sides!"
Phyllis: "And then they detonate the bomb and VIP hostages."
Ernst: "You want to half the time I have to defuse the bomb and make me defuse it in an area we haven't evacuated?"
Tucker: "They've announced demands, so we'll dole out a couple of them to keep them occupied while we wait for them to arrive."
Phyllis: "And forty good men and women."
Zane: "What demands?"
Phyllis: "What are their demands?"
He hands you a piece of paper. There's a bit of blood on the edges. "Each of the terrorists the police shot when they charged in had a copy of this on them. They managed to gun several of them down but the rest broke through."
I am Grundun Zubov, speaker for this clan of eschatologists. We follow the word of our philosopher Grandis Komanov, and we were responsible for the attacks this week. Do not trifle with us, and you will not have to suffer more deaths. My men have been active in your city for weeks, and if any harm befalls me or my men here, your city will reel from the devastation.
Herein follow our demands.
My men are going to need ale. Let’s start with that.
Then bring us that Price fellow, the one who runs the RHC in Slate. We know you can get him here with magic, and you will if you don’t want to go searching for your governor’s next incarnation. Nigel Price-Hill will pay for the death of our necromancer comrades.
I want to speak to one of your skyseers. You no longer listen to them, but they could see the future. You threw smoke into the skies and blinded yourself to the truth: the world will end in ice. Once you hand over Price, and I have spoken with a skyseer, I will inform you of my further demands.
Phyllis takes it and scans over it.
Phyllis: "I speak this particular kind of idiot, so."
Chandrasekhar glances over Phyllis' shoulder.
Ernst lets out a sigh before grumbling under his breath. This is why he tries to stay in the back and not volunteer for shit. Idiots in suits just make his job harder. Intercept the train halving the time before the bomb reaches its destination. WHY?
Phyllis: "I take it they have ale by now."
Tucker: "We're getting that brought over right now."
Zane: "Oh, well… that's convenient. Let me know when it gets here."
Gerald‘ glances around for something tall to climb up, then does so to get a better view of the situation.
The grand architecture is empty and bullet-pocked, with a few bloodstains where people fell. The place is deserted, its two exits covered by dozens of police officers. Wicket gates stand open, though normally they’d require a copper penny to pass through. In the centre of the eerily quiet hall are two pairs of staircases, one set leading to the eastbound platform, the other to the westbound platform.
Zane: "Hm. Actually. I don’t have enough for a whole barrel. Damn."
Phyllis glances over at Ernst. "Do let me know if you need some easy, quiet teleportation. You have to transpose yourself, yes?"
Phyllis: "Where are they holed up?"
Gerald: "Hmm…" Rocks his head back and forth, then shrugs before finding a nearby building's roof to get onto. Goes right up the stairs is probably a bad idea at the moment. >_>
Ernst glances at the others. "… I really think he's just buying time with this gambit. I don't know WHY they haven't started the train yet, but we need to move now."
Tucker: "On the train platform down below."
Chandrasekhar: "I'm inclined to agree with our bomb expert."
[OOC] Gerald: oh wait this is the UNDERGROUND train isn't it, never mind all that lol
Zane: "Want me to go look?"
Ernst: "Or if you really are insistent on waiting I want a huge blockade set up on above the golden line and you can explain in a report why your best option was to detonate the bomb under that district to stop it once they've already taken off."
[OOC] Ernst: **on the golden line
Gerald: "Uh."
Gerald: "Not that any one life is worth more than any other of course but… Who else is being held down there that we need to give any particular shits about?"
Tucker: "Look, we can take them down quickly once the soldiers arrive. Between them and my men here, we can get this done before they have a chance to harm the hostages."
Tucker: "The subrail's architect, Kevin Wilson, along with 6 other VIP guests."
Ernst: "Have you perhaps forgotten the payload is on a train? As in it can move, Colonel?"
Phyllis: Can she see into the train?
Ernst: "How exactly did you intend to take them down quickly when they will start the train when you approach?"
Aleith|DM: You can't see the train from up here.
Phyllis: "…Well. I have an idea, I think."
Tucker: "That's why we'll have so of them close in on the station through the tunnels on either side!"
Phyllis: "Sh. Shh shh shh. Adults are talking."
Gerald: "Oh?"
Aleith|DM: He frowns at you.
Zane absently rubs at his eye. "OK, look. if you run forty men into this place they're going to slaughter like sheep you on the staircase."
[OOC] Zane: ice let go of my keyboard
[OOC] Aleith|DM: the words were all spelled right, just not in the right order
Phyllis: "How much time do you think we have? Enough to scry, like I did last night before we took on Kell?"
Ernst rubs his forehead before glancing to the party. "He's seriously suggesting sending all his men to close in on a moving bomb and losing them all in an explosion as his backup plan."
[OOC] Ernst: What time is it right now?
[OOC] Ernst: And when do the guards get here?
Aleith|DM: It's about 9:45. And…probably a couple of hours.
Gerald: "Scry's one of the quicker ones anyway, right?"
Gerald: "Probably safer than risking one of us kicking a pebble at the worst moment possible."
[OOC] Ernst: Aleith does traffic get more or less busy at noon compared to 11/10
Zane: "I could just dress up like Prince-Hill and go in…"
Aleith|DM: What kind of traffic? Foot/carriage traffic or the train line?
[OOC] Ernst: Train line
Phyllis: "Also an option."
Gerald: "You think you could pass for Prince?" Gerald raises an eyebrow at Zane.
Aleith|DM: It's shut down for the opening until noon according to the news article.
Zane: "I could pass for a princess if you gave me enough base and a little blush."
Aleith|DM: And the Orange Line is completely shut down due to the damage at Pardwight University.
Phyllis: "Wizard's Sight to scout the place. Arcane Gate to give our forty men a way to teleport in and ambush the train from inside. Assuming it's not warded. They don't see us approach from either direction, we essentially attack from within."
Gerald: "Huh. Well, if you say so."
Phyllis: "Requires I'm in a hundred feet of the train, but … from any direction, I think."
Ernst: "I expect them to deliver the payload by 11 at the latest, possibly in 15 minutes. The distance travelled wouldn't add up if it was made during the opening when his guards get here at noon. For the payload to reach the target from this location the train would need very little interruptions."
Zane nods at Phyllis. "Wizards Sight at least, lets see what we're dealing with."
Tucker: "…and what's their target, if it's not here?"
[OOC] Aleith|DM: Unless you guys walked away from the Colonel to talk
[OOC] Gerald: def did not
[OOC] Phyllis: I didn't! or i didn't mean to imply that
[OOC] Aleith|DM: didn't sound like it with your 'the adults are talking' comment :D
Phyllis: "The diplomatic conference."
Ernst: "Hotel Aurum."
Phyllis: "Chaos on a national scale."
Ernst: "They planned the attack for today since the rail lines were closed during this window and it would let them get their bomb that has a 26 minute fuse to its destination."
Phyllis nods at Zane and gets to casting Wizard's Sight, in the meantime. … provided she can get in range, since I can't exactly tell how far things are without a map.
Ernst: "While I don't know why they didn't start the train at the first given opportunity, I can stake my job on the fact that they will not still be here by the time your men get here."
Ernst: "As it is not mathematically possible to reach the destination at that point."
Gerald: "Uhh probably to line up with specific people showing up."
Aleith|DM: Just standing on the main floor of the station will put you above the platform pretty much directly.
Gerald: "Kill the most influential people to ensure wide scale chaos and government collapse and blah blah freeze the world blah."
Aleith|DM: It's about 20 feet down below the main floor.
Phyllis: 10 minutes, then.
Ernst: "So unless you want to test if that carriage we got from Kell is fast enough to intercept a train, I suggest we get moving as soon as we're done scrying."
Phyllis rolled d20+20 and got 11 ( Total: 31.0 )
Phyllis: Sensor 4 rounds.
Zane rubs at his eye again. "That's why Phyllis is hard at work already yeah."
Phyllis: Lasts four rounds, that is.
Ernst: "… I do want to test it, for the record. Just not now."
Aleith|DM: And what's your perception check?
Phyllis: 10+level, so 21.
Aleith|DM: No, yours to notice things.
Phyllis rolled d20+8 and got 10 ( Total: 18.0 )
Ernst: "I was more trying to convince the Colonel." He glances at the others. "(Just how much authority do we have to overstep him, anyways?)"
Gerald: "We're RHC, we can technically do whatever the hell we want."
Tucker rolls his eyes but doesn't disagree.
Ernst: "I'm going to save the city and get slapped with a lawsuit, watch."
Zane: "Just tell 'em I did it. Anybody brave enough to try and sue me at this point probably isn't smart enough to get away with it."
[OOC] Phyllis: and well would four rounds give me like
[OOC] Phyllis: four chances to roll to notice things
Chandrasekhar laughs at Zane.
Aleith|DM: Well, I mean, if you want, you can make another few rolls if you like.
Phyllis: Anything from that first one, at least?
Aleith|DM: The dwarves don't seem to notice the sensor, and you see several of them scattered around the platforms, some on the tracks aiming towards the stairs, and a couple in position to snipe between the two trains on the east end (left end) of the platform.
Aleith|DM: There's another one aiming down the other direction, and a few more dwarves and several tied-up humans in the train on the other side.
Aleith|DM: You can't see Grundun from where you are, but you also can't see into the engine of the train.
Phyllis: "I have visual. Guns aimed on stairs. Snipers aimed at the ends of either platform. Hostages in sight. About … " How many, all told?
[OOC] Phyllis: oh, virtualdaivve
Aleith|DM: you see a bit over a dozen of them.
Phyllis: "A dozen in sight, a lieutenant, no confirmation of their leader." Or the bomb, I take it.
Aleith|DM: Nope, didn't see that.
Phyllis: "Or the bomb."
Gerald: "That doesn't sound too bad honestly, especially if you got a sleep or two primed."
Phyllis: "Ernst, you think that's enough to move on? Or should I check the engine room?"
Ernst: "Hrm. Worst case scenario as long as we can board the train mid-combat as it's trying to take off we'll likely come out on top at the end."
Phyllis: "Should I open an Arcane Gate? We only get one."
Phyllis: "Can't keep this open for long. Talk fast."
Gerald: "Likely better for us to appear near the train than it is trying to run down the stairs."
Ernst: "We'd have to run quite a ways otherwise, so let's do it."
Gerald: "Priority is getting Ernst on that train, then keeping then hostages safe, then subduing the dwarves yeah?"
Ernst: "The bomb should be in a case of dweomered steel."
Aleith|DM: Alright. Place your gate, everyone of you moves through as your surprise round action, and then we start?
Aleith|DM: The entire subway is dark btw except for a lantern way off to the left.
Aleith|DM: So coming in with a light source or two would be good or you aren't seeing anything.
[OOC] Aleith|DM: The [L] is the lantern
[OOC] Zane: I have low light vision I aind scared…
[OOC] Zane: What are the other letters, btw?
Aleith|DM: Low-light vision != darkvision
Aleith|DM: That's a very good question, thank you for asking.
Aleith|DM: I was too lazy to scrub them out
[OOC] Zane: Yeah darkvision is next level…
Aleith|DM: so you can assume they're traps :D
[OOC] Zane: OK!
Chandrasekhar is a light source.
Phyllis can probably light up Ernst's robot or something, too.
[OOC] Phyllis: Arcane Gate where the Mage Hand is?
[OOC] Phyllis: does that seem good or is there something I'm missing
Aleith|DM: probably want it one to the left but they can't OA during a surprise round anyway.
Aleith|DM: Okay, everyone move yourselves within one move action of that portal.
[OOC] Zane: I kinda liked popping up on the train haha
Aleith|DM: You can easily climb into it but there's only room for three on there at the moment.
Gerald‘ psyches himself with [Oak skin] while Phyllis is casting the spell, then rushes through it once it’s formed.
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: can I be where I am right now
Aleith|DM: Yes, though there isn't a door onto the train and just windows allowing you access to the car on that side.
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: and/or is that a bad idea if I'm gonna Ranged next turn
[OOC] Phyllis: yes, however, you're north outside of the train, sadly staring in the window
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: OK never mind I think this works better then
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 28:Gunman CD | 28:Gunman KL | 27:Gunman AB | 27:Gunman EF | 22:Zane | 21:Ernst | 20:Prophet | 18:Gerald | 18:Grundun Zubov | 17:Phyllis | 17:Gunman GH | 15:Gunman IJ | 10:Gunman M | 9:Chandrasekhar |
Aleith|DM: …that's some really high enemy inits.
Aleith|DM: The party teleports in through a gate, positioning themselves, but the radicals are quick to react, swinging their guns towards the party!
Gerald: "Hello! This is the RHC! You're all under arrest for baaaaaasically everything."
Chandrasekhar: "I see Zubov and the bomb in the engine car!"
Gerald: "Feel free to pop your poison pills in advance if you're adverse to getting shot!"
Zane: "OK if nobody else is gonna do it… Freeze!"
Phyllis: "Goddammit, Zane."
Gerald: "Oh. … OH. Dang, that was good. I wish I said that."
Aleith|DM: Several gunmen shoot at the party!
Zane: "Yeah you do."
Aleith|DM rolled 6#d20+17(1) and got 10 ( Total: 27.0 ) for Gerald * 2, Chandra *2, Ernst, Phyllis
Also rolled 6#d20+17(2) and got 18 [Total: 35.0 (High), Avg: 18.00]
Also rolled 6#d20+17(3) and got 20 [Total: 37.0 (High), Avg: 20.00]
Chandrasekhar: "Mr. Bieito, how long have you been saving that one?"
Also rolled 6#d20+17(4) and got 8 [Total: 25.0 (Low), Avg: 8.00]
Also rolled 6#d20+17(5) and got 4 [Total: 21.0 (Low), Avg: 4.00]
Also rolled 6#d20+17(6) and got 19 [Total: 36.0 (High), Avg: 19.00]
Total: 181.0, Avg: 13.17
Zane: "Heh heh heh."
Aleith|DM: Gerald is hit twice for 10 damage each! Chandrasekhar is critically hit for 15! Phyllis is hit for 10!
Aleith|DM: The two gunmen by Zane pummel him with their fists and gun! [Brawl]
Aleith|DM rolled 2#d20+15(1) and got 14 ( Total: 29.0 )
Also rolled 2#d20+15(2) and got 14 [Total: 29.0 (High), Avg: 14.00]
Total: 58.0, Avg: 14.00
Aleith|DM: Each hitting for 8!
Gerald‘ shoots down part of the bullet directed at Chandra. [Deflection Shot] [-10 DMG]
Aleith|DM: Zane!
Zane is more than happy to engage the two dwarves next to him [Multiple Targets -2 combat die] befure his boomerang goes flying at the Prophet. [Two Targets -1 die]
Zane rolled 2#1d20+18(1) and got 12 ( Total: 30.0 )
Also rolled 2#1d20+18(2) and got 18 [Total: 36.0 (High), Avg: 18.00]
Also rolled 1d20+17 and got 2 [Total: 19.0 (Low), Avg: 2.00]
Total: 85.0, Avg: 10.67
Aleith|DM: Hit, hit, miss!
Zane drops the two dwarves and catches the boomerang on its return. "Hm."
[OOC] Aleith|DM: KO!] [KO!
Aleith|DM: Ernst?
[OOC] Phyllis: Ernst!
[OOC] Phyllis: ’s turn.
Ernst makes his way towards Chandra and lines up a Carbine shot on Grundun. [Greater Magic Weapon]
Ernst rolled d20+19 and got 3 ( Total: 22.0 ) for includes -2 for cover
[OOC] Ernst: +4 from human thing
Aleith|DM: Heroic Effort! Hit!
Ernst rolled 2d8+10 and got 7, 1 ( Total: 18.0 ) for Chandra gets +5 to hit, +4 dmg, brutal 1
Ernst then swaps positions with the guy and ends up next to the bomb.
Phyllis: "Castling."
Phyllis: "Well played, Ernst."
Ernst: "That's their boss beside you Chandra, have fun."
Ernst then [AP's] and shoots that minion just in case he can ignite the bomb.
Ernst rolled 2#d20+19(1) and got 2 ( Total: 21.0 )
Also rolled 2#d20+19(2) and got 14 [Total: 33.0 (High), Avg: 14.00]
Total: 54.0, Avg: 8.00
[OOC] Ernst: J that is.
[OOC] Ernst: Oh wait he's outside the train.
Aleith|DM: The prophet takes a look at Ernst, back at where Grundun now is, then sighs and walks forward, before switching on the bomb. [Standard action]
[OOC] Ernst: Using my AP to move
[OOC] Ernst: In front of the bomb
Aleith|DM: Gerald!
Gerald: "'Scuse me, comin' through," Gerald pulls himself up onto the train, then under Zane before shooting past a couple of the hostages at the Prophet. [Quarry] [Biting Volley]
Gerald‘ rolled 2#d20+17(1) and got 11 ( Total: 28 )
Also rolled 2#d20+17(2) and got 13 [Total: 30]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 58
Gerald` rolled 2#d20+17(1) and got 14 ( Total: 31 )
Also rolled 2#d20+17(2) and got 12 [Total: 29]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 60
Chandrasekhar: "…you people really want to understand what it feels like…? To experience the end of the world?"
Aleith|DM: Hits!
Gerald` rolled 3d8+12 and got 2, 1, 5 ( Total: 20 )
Also rolled 3d8+12 and got 5, 8, 8 [Total: 33]
Also rolled 2d8 and got 1, 1 [Total: 2]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 55
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 55! Bloodied!
[OOC] Gerald: oh, +5 +5 from auto fire
Aleith|DM: …[KO!] The minion’s still up because it had cover, though.
Gerald‘ squints in the direct of what used to be a dwarf as the humming from his weird shotgun dies down and twenty rounds of force slam into it all at once. "Cool! It worked!"
Zane: "Sweet tiny gods, Gerald. What did you do?!"
Ernst calls out to Gerald. "You’re late! He already activated the bomb!"
Gerald: "To be honestly I'm not one hundred percept sure WHY it works but I modified a gun to basically shit out magic missile rounds at about ten times the speed a mage could cast it."
Zane: "… Wow."
Aleith|DM: Grundun steps a bit closer to the train and swings his Hammer of the Lost Riders at Chandrasekhar!
Aleith|DM rolled d20+15 and got 7 ( Total: 22 )
Aleith|DM: Missing!
Aleith|DM: Phyllis?
Phyllis is dumbfounded. And all this time, she thought she was the one in the party that knew how to make physics shut up and sit down. But Gerald just did that to metaphysics.
Grundun: "It's a good thing I told my comrades how to start the bomb as well. Tricky constables."
Gerald: "Also it sounds cool as fuck when the battery is revving up. I can do some REALLY dumb shit with this un certain circumstances…"
[OOC] Gerald: in^
Phyllis: "Ernst, how much time do we have?"
Ernst: "Twenty-six minutes until it blows. Ten tops for me to start up the train and go as I can't defuse it here unless you want to risk killing a lot of people."
Zane: "I'll put my boy against your machine anytime, Zubov."
Ernst: "Preferably clear the train as quickly as possible as I'm starting it up soon."
Phyllis shifits away a space and assaults the gunman next to her with an [Illusory Ambush]. And [Mage Hand].
Phyllis rolled d20+18 and got 16 ( Total: 34.0 ) for vs Will
Phyllis rolled d6+13 and got 5 ( Total: 18.0 )
[OOC] Aleith|DM: KO!
Aleith|DM: Gunman J climbs up between the cars and Brawls with Ernst!
Aleith|DM rolled d20+5 and got 14 ( Total: 19 )
[OOC] Aleith|DM: +15, 29
Aleith|DM: 8 damage!
Aleith|DM: The other 4 shoot at Chandra, Gerald, Phyllis, and Zane!
Aleith|DM rolled 4#d20+17(1) and got 17 ( Total: 34.0 )
Also rolled 4#d20+17(2) and got 10 [Total: 27.0 (Low), Avg: 10.00]
Also rolled 4#d20+17(3) and got 9 [Total: 26.0 (Low), Avg: 9.00]
Also rolled 4#d20+17(4) and got 15 [Total: 32.0 (High), Avg: 15.00]
Total: 119.0, Avg: 12.75
[OOC] Ernst: Can I shocking feedback a shotgun at point blank?
Aleith|DM: Yeah, they can't OA on their turn
Ernst shoots him with a [Shocking Feedback] during the brawl.
Ernst rolled 2#d20+18(1) and got 9 ( Total: 27.0 )
Also rolled 2#d20+18(2) and got 20 [Total: 38.0 (High), Avg: 20.00]
Total: 65.0, Avg: 14.50
Aleith|DM: Hit, crit!
Aleith|DM: He drops before he can scuff you up much! [KO!]
[OOC] Ernst: Resist 5, so I take 3.
[OOC] Aleith|DM: Reaction, not interrupt?
Aleith|DM: Oh, before damage but after the hit.
[OOC] Ernst: Yes.
Aleith|DM: 10 damage each to Chandra, Gerald, Phyllis, and Zane!
Aleith|DM: Chandrasekhar!
[OOC] Phyllis: what kinda boost does he get to hit with greater magic weapon?
[OOC] Ernst: +5
[OOC] Ernst: +5 to hit, +4 dmg, brutal 1
[OOC] Zane: fuck, son o_O
[OOC] Ernst: When I hit 16 it becomes +8 to hit
[OOC] Zane: *fuck*, son! o_O
Chandrasekhar: "…because if that's what you want to see…"
[OOC] Phyllis: hm. +20 against 22 Will if he wants to nuke minions with 95% or risk it a bit with 75% but targetted against Grundun?
Chandrasekhar: "…then LISTEN!"
Chandrasekhar closes his eyes and opens them again, shining brilliant gold, as lines of fire trace themselves over suddenly-visible scarifications on his skin; he stiffens and arches his back in pain and horror, and utters a shout that carries with it the antithesis of the beauty and poetry of the Dirge of Vekesh; a profane expletive, the truth of the Vekeshi teachings in a single syllable that carrie
Chandrasekhar s with it an indelible image of the memory of the loss of one's Goddess, one's culture, one's lodestar, in a single, searing, awful moment. [Vision of the Fall]
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: vs. gunman because I'm not gonna fuck around
Chandrasekhar rolled d20+20 and got 13 ( Total: 33.0 ) for vs. Will
Aleith|DM: Hit!
[5] fire+radiant damage to every ally of the gunman that I can see, which is, like, everything.
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: including Zubov
[OOC] Aleith|DM: KO x 9!] [5!
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 22:Zane | 21:Ernst | 18:Gerald | 18:Grundun Zubov | 17:Phyllis | 9:Chandrasekhar |
Aleith|DM: Zane!
Chandrasekhar takes a few ragged breaths, blinking fire out of his eyes, staring Zubov down not with malice but with -patience-.
Gerald‘ glances back over his shoulder.
Gerald: "Duno what the fuck just happened but I guess that was a good word of the day, Chandra!"
Chandrasekhar: "…just the cure for what ailed them, Gerald."
Zane slips out of the train car and lunges at Zubov. [MBA]
Zane rolled d20+18 and got 16 ( Total: 34 )
Aleith|DM: Hit!
Zane rolled 6d10+10 and got 9, 7, 6, 4, 3, 8 ( Total: 47.0 ) for damage, furious assault, assassinate, attack finesse.
Also rolled 1d8 and got 3 [Total: 3 (Low), Avg: 3.00]
Total: 50.0, Avg: 5.71
Gerald: "Anyway. Did you not remember how to fight in this lifetime, Governor, or just worried about what they might do if you acted too early?"
Gerald: "You should probably lead the other hostages out of the area while we finish cleaning up in either case."
Stanfield: "While I appreciate your candor, Constable, we’re all a little tied-up at the moment. Do you think you could help with that, first?"
Gerald: "Oh! Right good point. Phyllis' give you a hand."
Aleith|DM: The hostages are all tied up, and the ropes are attached to bars on the side on of the car.
Phyllis: To the ropes: "Loosen up." [Pathos of the Inanimate]
Aleith|DM: On your turn, maybe.
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 50!
Aleith|DM: Ernst!
Ernst delays to 17 waiting for Phyllis.
Aleith|DM: Gerald!
Gerald: "Okay."
Gerald: "Who wants to see something fucking hilarious?"
Gerald: "Everyone, right? Right."
Gerald‘ takes a deep breath, marks Zubov as his [Quarry], then rolls out of the train car at takes aim at the dwarf. [AP] his gun begins to hum loudly, before firing a bright white lightn into the dwarf. [Beam Shot: Shrink Ray]
Gerald` rolled 2#d20+21(1) and got 2 ( Total: 23 )
Also rolled 2#d20+21(2) and got 13 [Total: 34]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 57
Aleith|DM: 1 hit!
Gerald` rolled 3d8+12 and got 3, 7, 4 ( Total: 26 ) for drop three size categories (Save Ends), i can copy/paste all the dumb shit it does to you elsewhere
Gerald` then unleashes another intense barrage of force bullets into him. [Two-Fanged Strike]
Gerald` rolled 2#d20+18(1) and got 14 ( Total: 32 )
Also rolled 2#d20+18(2) and got 20 [Total: 38]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 70
Gerald` rolled 2#d20+18(1) and got 20 ( Total: 38 )
Also rolled 2#d20+18(2) and got 12 [Total: 30]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 68
Aleith|DM: hit, crit!, hit crit!
Gerald` rolled 3d6+36 and got 1, 3, 2 ( Total: 42 )
Also rolled 3d6+36 and got 1, 5, 5 [Total: 47]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 89
Gerald: "I AM THE BEST CONSTABLE THERE HAS EVER BEEEEEEN!"
Zane: "… OK yeah, that is pretty funny."
Ernst: "I have to admit, Gerald. I never pegged you as someone who’s gotten by on anything but dumb luck. Seeing as I don't like to be wrong the fact that you just did that terrifies me."
[OOC] Gerald: +5 +5 from auto fire also lol
[OOC] Gerald: +5 that was 3 attacks… and +4 form both twin fangs connecting
Chandrasekhar: "What…."
Chandrasekhar: "What mohya…"
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 31!] [99!
Gerald: "It's not dumb luck man, I'm reeeeally fucking good at what I do!"
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 4! Bloodied
Gerald: "I'm just very lackidasical about it."
Zane: "So I see."
Gerald‘ grins.
Grundun Zubov starts swearing in dwarven, his voice very high-pitched. His hammer hovers beside him as he clenches his fist. Black energy flows from you into his grasp, and your heart seizes in your chest. [Grasp of Death]
Gerald: "Grah! I regret… nothing…!"
Aleith|DM rolled 5#d20+13(1) and got 17 ( Total: 30.0 ) for vs Fort, Chandrasekhar, Gerald, Phyllis, Zane, Stanfield
Also rolled 5#d20+13(2) and got 12 [Total: 25.0 (High), Avg: 12.00]
Also rolled 5#d20+13(3) and got 10 [Total: 23.0 (Low), Avg: 10.00]
Also rolled 5#d20+13(4) and got 2 [Total: 15.0 (Low), Avg: 2.00]
Also rolled 5#d20+13(5) and got 3 [Total: 16.0 (Low), Avg: 3.00]
Total: 109.0, Avg: 8.80
Aleith|DM rolled 2d6+6 and got 5, 5 ( Total: 16.0 )
Chandrasekhar loses the ’what the hell just happened' into 'trying really hard not to giggle' and then immediately into 'stricken shock'.
Aleith|DM: Each of you makes a Death Saving Throw
Phyllis rolled d20 and got 10 ( Total: 10 )
[OOC] Gerald: even the ones it missed?
Aleith|DM: Effect, yes
Zane rolled d20+0 and got 9 ( Total: 9 )
[OOC] Zane: oh noooo
Gerald‘ rolled d20 and got 18 ( Total: 18 )
Aleith|DM: 16 necrotic damage to Chandrasekhar, Gerald, and Phyllis!
[OOC] Gerald: 23 misses me!!
[OOC] Gerald: i have 24 fort now
Aleith|DM: 25 doesn’t.
Aleith|DM: Phyllis has 22 Fort vs 23!
[OOC] Gerald: wait this is dumb anyway
[OOC] Gerald: NO ONE ROLL ANYTHING
[OOC] Gerald: or wait no this is a reaciton isn't it n/m ((
Aleith|DM: Anyways a failure counts as 1 of 3 death saves.
Aleith|DM: Phyllis?
[OOC] Zane: ugh god and I have to track that shit forever dont I
Aleith|DM rolled d20+2 and got 20 ( Total: 22 )
Aleith|DM: No, just for the encounter
Aleith|DM: He returns to normal size.
[OOC] Gerald: wait WAS that his normal action?
Chandrasekhar rolled d20+0 and got 6 ( Total: 6 )
Aleith|DM: Yes.
Aleith|DM: Since his turn is after yours….
Gerald‘ [disruptive shot as the attack is cast]
Gerald` rolled 2#d20+18(1) and got 13 ( Total: 31 )
Also rolled 2#d20+18(2) and got 9 [Total: 27]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 58
Gerald` rolled 2#d20+18(1) and got 17 ( Total: 35 )
Also rolled 2#d20+18(2) and got 3 [Total: 21]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 56
[OOC] Gerald: er ignore that second set but
Aleith|DM: Oh, well, I guess you disrupt it then.
[OOC] Aleith|DM: KO!
Phyllis now tells the ropes to "Loosen up."
Gerald: "OK."
Gerald: "All clear!"
[OOC] Phyllis: So no damage?
Gerald: "I think. … I probably should shout that before checking."
Aleith|DM: No damage
Zane: "He was the last one, you’re good."
Gerald: "Anyway,"
Gerald: "I'm the best."
Phyllis: "Stand up and get off the train. Ernst, do you need any assistance?"
Gerald‘ flips the switch on his blaster off.
Aleith|DM: The hostages start picking themselves up, the Governor helping them. "Let’s go. The Constables will deal with the terrorists' bomb."
Zane: "Pretty sure I could still take you. I'd have to work harder than I thought though."
Ernst: "If you're willing to risk your life, I could use a dwarven translator, yes."
Ernst: "The wires aren't in a language I can read."
Gerald‘ glances over at Zane.
Zane tousels Geralds hair.
Phyllis: "Gladly."
Gerald: "…Probably depends on how close you started. huh?"
Chandrasekhar: "That was… certainly impressive, yes."
Zane grins. "Lets never find out. You’re a good kid."
Ernst summons Stocke in front of him. It waddles to the middle of the train car before its siren flashes an SoS signal. Ernst speaks up. "Attention all passengers, you will now be vacating the train." The passengers have a grand total of one move action to get their asses off the train before Stocke shimmers and they slide out. [Slick Concotation]. He pulls the lever behind him and the train starts moving.
Zane: "You'd kill me from two blocks away. I'd kill you in the middle of the night. Call it a draw."
Gerald: "Deal."
Gerald‘ nods.
Aleith|DM: The hostages stumble off the train. Stanfield turns to those of you still there. "Thank you for the assist. Your comrade seems…eager to disarm the bomb."
Gerald: "Something about a time limit? He’s kind of an abrasive dickwad, but his heart is in the right place. Moving to get it to an area that's alreayd been evacuated just in case he screws up."
Zane: "He's good at what he does. Don't worry."
Chandrasekhar: "…shine brightly, both of you." He glances worriedly at the train.
Ernst: "Right. May as well get the casing off while we wait to reach our destination."
Stanfield: "I'll take your word for it and help the others get upstairs. I'll probably see you at the peace summit banquet tomorrow evening if you get invites."
Phyllis: "Should I set up a teleportation circle as a contingency?"
Zane: "I suspect we'll be running security." He tips an imaginary hat. "Mr. Mayor."
Ernst: "Can you set one up in five minutes?"
Aleith|DM: Alright. Thievery check to slide the metallic sheeting off the outside shell, Ernst?
[OOC] Ernst: What are my bonuses here?
Gerald: "Well, unless they let me set up a sniper nest to take out someone before they technically reach our nation…"
Aleith|DM: This one doesn't have any bonuses.
Gerald: "But probably."
Ernst rolled d20+15 and got 7 ( Total: 22.0 )
Phyllis: "Ten."
Aleith|DM: It takes a minute, but now you have access to the internals.
Ernst: "Can you do that while reading wires?"
Aleith|DM: Arcana check (+5 technologist bonus) to examine it.
[OOC] Phyllis: GM?
Aleith|DM: Not really, but the wires are pretty simple.
Phyllis: "It only lasts for a few moments, so we'd need to leave when I finish."
Ernst rolled d20+24 and got 7 ( Total: 31.0 )
Phyllis: "So, perhaps not."
Aleith|DM: Inside the case, twenty-nine rune-inscribed steel wires criss-cross an amberglass drum that holds forty gallons of alchemicals. The drum is divided into eight sections, each filled with a different substance.
Aleith|DM: The eight substances are the same as those notes you found: Fire Humour, Aether, Phlogiston, Frayed Chronosomia, Witchoil, Blood infused with Ambergris, Serpent's Loop, and Frostburn.
Aleith|DM: The runes on each wire describe in Dwarven the connection, such as 'Frayed Chronosomia to Phlogiston'. One wire is engraved simply 'Black', and it runs from the top of the barrel to the floor.
Phyllis glances over the wires, translating.
Aleith|DM: Every few seconds one of the twenty-nine wires starts to glow, and then the two chambers it connects admix some of their contents.
Ernst gestures to the black wire. "I can tell you what this one is at least. It's a grounding wire. If you touch any other wire without holding on to this one you're going to get hurt."
Aleith|DM: Examing it for a minute, you determine that you can cut the wires that lead between the chambers, but if you cut it while any wire connecting to one of the two chambers that wire connects is active, the bomb will blow up.
[OOC] Ernst: Is there a set rotation on what materials mix?
Aleith|DM: You can watch it to determine that if you want, but it will eat into your time. You're already down a bit over 2 minutes.
[OOC] Ernst: How often does it mix?
Aleith|DM: Every few seconds.
[OOC] Ernst: I'll spend a minute.
Aleith|DM: They don't seem to repeat in any discernable pattern. With 29 wires, not even all of them activate over a minute.
Phyllis also assists with [Mage Hand], if needed. Though she's content to just translate and keep back unless otherwise directed.
Ernst: "It seems I have to rely on my reaction time. Wires have to be cut in the short window between mixes. This is obviously almost risk free early on as the odds of your wires being the ones mixing are low to begin with."
Ernst: "As fewer wires are left however the possibility is very real that this thing could explode on the cut."
Aleith|DM: Cutting the wires to isolate one of the reagents will take about a minute and a Thievery check, though with a +7 bonus as an Arcana-trained technologist. Arcana training helps you detect subtle warnings concerning which wire is about to activate.
Ernst: "You've translated the wires for my Phyllis, you can leave if you'd like."
Ernst isn't going to slow down for a response, though. He scrunches up his face and cuts the first wire.
Ernst rolled d20+22 and got 7 ( Total: 29.0 )
[OOC] Ernst: *me, Phyllis
Ernst: "The good news is that I just cut the Phologiston. That should limit the explosion from getting any stronger. If it did explode it'd only kill us and damage the railway."
Aleith|DM: After a minute, you manage to isolate the Phlogiston, limiting the explosive potential of the bomb. Shouldn't do more than collapse the subrail tunnel at this point.
Phyllis nods. "I'll leave you to it, then."
Phyllis: "You'll be fine." [Eschatologist]
Ernst grins. "Give them hell for me if I'm late."
Phyllis: "In more than one sense of the word?"
Ernst: "I'll leave that up to interpretation."
Ernst turns and gets to work on cutting another wire.
Phyllis: "You'll be fine. It wouldn't be right for things to end like this for you."
Phyllis gets on out of there, though.
[OOC] Ernst: Same rolls right?
Aleith|DM: Yeah.
Ernst rolled d20+22 and got 5 ( Total: 27.0 )
Aleith|DM: Alright. It takes you several more minutes to isolate the rest of the chambers, but you haven't even made it to Golden Point before you isolate the last two chambers. It's nerve-wracking work, but a steady hand and an unflinching pace, you finish without wasting time. [Highest DC was 21]
Aleith|DM: What now?
Ernst is going to assume they left him a feather and he can say the bomb is defused. Or they pieced it together because there wasn't a huge explosion noise either works.
Aleith|DM: You probably have a feather, yeah.
Aleith|DM: Reversing the train?
Ernst will eventually pull back into the station, sure.
Chandrasekhar applauds, provided he's still there.
Zane is calmly leaning against a pillar. "Knew you could do it. Well done."
Aleith|DM: Alright. The bomb gets dismantled, carefully, and you deal with the wrap-up at the station.
Aleith|DM: Afterwards, you start working with Chief Delft, Minister Lee, and Captain Dale to prepare for your trip to the Bleak Gate.
Ernst: "If anything this taught me that I need to refine Stockes motor skills more. If I was a better golemologist I wouldn't have needed to be on that train to begin with."
Zane smiles. "Wouldn't have been nearly as impressive."
Phyllis: "Impressive isn't the point. Pragmatism is."
Phyllis: "Still. Well done."
Aleith|DM: Between getting everyone rounded up and ready and reverse-engineering the broken wand Kell had, it takes you until the evening to get everything prepped…
Gerald: "Everything's good to go now, Colonel! Before your men even got here!" Gerald shouts up the stairway, before leaving.
Zane: "I'm allowed to not worry about pragmatism, now that he's not blown himself up."
Aleith|DM: Colonel Tucker grudgingly thanks you for the assistance.
Phyllis: "Sorry about the crack earlier."
Phyllis: "Precision over force when dealing with a potential bomb like this."
Ernst: "To be frank with you, that explosion is small scale compared to what we're about to do. People have dealt with bombs before. I have dealt with bombs before. We have not gone where we are going."
Zane smiles. "I know. Its exciting."
Chandrasekhar: "Well, someone has. We just have to follow 'em in and kill them."
Ernst: "I'm curious to see what kind of collossus they're cooking up over there. Size does not make it better than Stocke." He shakes his head.
Ernst: "Or perhaps Gerald can just shrink the thing down for us?" He chuckles.
Zane: "Nothing is better than Stocke. That thing is ridiculous."
Gerald: "Oh man."
Gerald: "Oh man."
Gerald: "Can you fucking imagine the look on their faces?"
Gerald: "Walk in, see a robot as tall as a building. One gun shot later, it's barely humanoid sized."
Chandrasekhar: "…please do that."
Zane chuckles.
Gerald: "I'm so ready."
Aleith|DM: You level up to 12, and get 20,000gp extra stipend to spend while preparing.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License