Zg Session 39

Opening the door to Chamber Two: Heretical Texts, you find the room layout much like chamber one, though the statues are on the left instead of the right. Many of the texts seem to be missing, and those that aren't appear to have been torn apart and scattered across the floor. The statues, mostly toppled, depict people holding books in various unpleasant scenarios.
ChefBatali: "Yes, never forget. Education is bad."
AveryCoast: With regards to the statues: Some plunge into toothy maws of hell. Others have their flesh peeled from their skulls for looking at a text. One is being eaten by his own book.
ChefBatali: "… You know the part that really bothers me? Someone actually got paid to make these."
Jack: "Aw heck'n, chef-" Jack says, mocking a spit onto the ground "-don't need no that thar book learnin'."
ChefBatali: "Not with a sister as pretty as yours."
Jack‘ nods in assent. "She’s a sweet'n."
Ananth: "So much for men being themselves as gods." He disdainfully strolls through the gallery. "…who sneaks into a place like this and then -tears the texts apart-? Hilda, don't look."
ChefBatali chuckles at Jack and follows Ananth through the debris.
Ottavia: "My best guess is either thieves or the inhabitants, to be fair."
Hilda: "You clearly don't believe in the death of the author as much as I do."
Jack‘ also chuckles as he proceeds.
Jack: "(This -is- some twisted stuff though, yeah.)"
AveryCoast: There doesn’t seem to be much left of substance in the room. In the chamber in front of the door stands the remains of a pyre, the central wooden beam kicked over long ago. Dozens of charred books are scattered about nearby.
Ananth looks mildly distraught.
ChefBatali: "its OK Ananth, I'm sure there's plenty of other copies of these heretical works still loose in the world. That's how these things work."
Ananth: "I should hope so!"
AveryCoast: The door to the next hallway opens without problems.
AveryCoast: The hallway splits left and right.
Hilda: "So my question is, why would the Clergy merely hide them away and not burn them?"
Jeremy: "Curses…?"
Jack: "Their teachings were too strong to destroy, so the clergy sealed them for millennia, hiding them from the world…"
Jeremy: "I mean we just left a thing we couldn't kill in the other room, so."
ChefBatali: "Considering they had a damned angel hanging on hooks in the foyer, I can't even begin to guess."
Hilda still digs through and sees if she can salvage anything. "If they want to kill an idea, they're looking at the wrong source if they go for the books."
Ananth: "I'm willing to bet you can't just burn a book like that without something awful happening."
Jack: "Also- trophies?"
ChefBatali: "Left or right?"
Jack: "'Hey look at all these heretical texts that we got by purging the nonbeliever' and such, maybe they sipped brandy and occasionally threw one on the pyre."
Jack: "Right, of course."
Hilda: "A book is just ink and text. Ananth, you of all people should know the … stubborn nature of *ideas*."
Hilda: "If an adversary strikes down your body, are you not confident that your impact on the world still resonates on and echoes without you?"
AveryCoast: The pathway heads down a few hundred feet before a door comes up on your right, and continuing off to the left some more.
Jack: "Do… we want to beeline for the demon? We are sort of on a time limit."
Ananth: "I've got the feeling that these rooms have been picked clean."
Ottavia: "On the one hand, I should encourage you wasting time, but on the other hand, I don't want to see if there's any more horrors that have been left behind."
Ananth smiles at Hilda, though. "Isn't that my line?"
Jack: "Oh no, don't remind us that there could be more angels just hangi- um, around."
Jeremy: "Tomb of evil isn't really doin' much for me, personally."
ChefBatali smiles at Ottavia, uncomfortably shark-like. "You probably *really* should encourage us wasting our time."
Ottavia: "I'm also not volunteering to test for traps."
Hilda: "If I hadn't espoused the ephemeral nature of books in their physical form just now, I might have wanted to linger and explore."
Hilda: "But it's clear to me now! I am no longer this world's pupil, but its teacher!"
Hilda: "… So yes, let's go."
ChefBatali: "'Volunteering' implies choice, dear."
Jack: "Let's just continue deeper then." He moves off to the left.
AveryCoast: The hallway branches again after a few hundred feet: one door on your right, a hallway directly to the left heading into the centre, and the hallway continues curving around to the left slightly.
ChefBatali looks at the door to the center. "Everybody excited?"
Jack: "Heal up, weapons out, game faces on."
Jeremy: "So uh."
Jeremy: "What exactly are we expecting in here anyway…?"
AveryCoast: At the end of the hallway, you find a pair of heavy bronze doors: the entrance to chamber nine. The doors have no lock or handle, and powerful magic holds it shut. A handprint has been pressed into the metal, and a ring of sigils surround the handprint.
Jack: "Personally? Some sort of backdoor or subtle ladder."
Jack: "Because -fuck- if we have to fight through a few hundred zombies"
Jeremy: "And we… For some reason… think they put a back door… behind the demon which was the primary reason anything was sealed in here at all…?"
Hilda: "Sometimes demons are walls."
Jack: "Demon's gotta poop somewhere."
Jack: "Hasn't been doing it in the lair from what we can smell."
Hilda: "Crazy wizard shenanigans. Jack knows the architectural challenges involved."
Hilda nods sagely.
Jeremy‘ opens mouth, closes mouth.
ChefBatali shrugs. "Honestly I just want to see what was so bad they built an entire vault around it. If I miss the train and have to sail to the next town, so be it."
Ananth: "Sounds like solid reasoning to me."
Hilda: "In any case, it … looks like it needs a handprint. Who wants to try?"
Jeremy: "Not It."
Jack` looks at Ottavia.
Ottavia sighs. There’s resignation in her mental reply: "Really?"
Jack: "You're right, it's actually Jeremy's turn, but he already called 'not it.'"
Ananth: "Do you really expect any of -us- to be aligned with the Church's teachings more so than yourself? I know we've only just met, and all, but."
Hilda: "I can spot you this one, if you want."
Hilda reaches her own hand out. … A [Mage Hand], she's not stupid.
AveryCoast: Nothing happens with the mage hand.
Hilda: "Or do you want me to take a closer look, just to be sure?" [Arcana]
AveryCoast: It's DC 18. You don't even have to roll.
AveryCoast: You're right about someone needing to put their hand their, but it also needs some blood to open. It'll drain a healing surge using it.
Hilda shrugs. Is that all? She places her own hand in, then.
AveryCoast: There's a surge of arcane energy. [-1 healing surge]
AveryCoast: The doors swing open.
The chamber beyond is not damaged or defaced like the rest of the vault, but looks fresh and preserved. Polished obsidian forms the ceiling, walls, and floor. The stone glistens and reflects the image of those walking over it. Time, however, has taken some toll, and a central section of the room has collapsed into a sump, twenty feet deep. From the doorway, there is no sign of any defenders, but the room feels foreboding.
Hilda: "I may have serious and deep-seated disagreements with two organizations you are involved with. That is still no excuse to toss you at traps and use you as a shield."
AveryCoast: The sensual female voice whispers in your minds again, promising that you're almost there.
ChefBatali: "Sure there is, Hilda. We just don't."
Jack‘ carefully edges his way in, sure to have a friendly at his flank.
ChefBatali is hanging out by Jack. They work well together.
Jeremy: "For the record I still feel like this is perhaps not a great idea, but whatever."
Ananth: "Noted." He steps forward, glancing around curiously.
AveryCoast: As you get near the sump in the middle, , you spot an old, bearded man sitting on a small stone outcropping in front of a six-foot tall gold mirror. He looks fairly serene, sitting with his eyes closed in silvery-white robes. He has no reflection in the mirror.
As you approach, he speaks, seemingly towards the mirror. "I’m so very hungry. Do they have any food for me?"
ChefBatali looks at his outfit. "… Depends on what you eat."
He pauses as if hearing a reply, then whines and slumps his shoulders. He mutters, "souls again? I am ever so tired of eating souls. Ah well." He kips to his feet.
AveryCoast: Battle Order: | 26:Chandrasekhar | 21:Gerald | 21:Phyllis | 20:Zane | 19:Gene | 18:Ernst | 12:Garrett |
Stocke narrows his brow before audibly sighing.
AveryCoast: Chandrasekhar?
ChefBatali: "I was gonna offer some beef jerky, actually."
Ananth looks mildly disappointed before charging in. [Charge Virtuous Strike + Divine Challenge]
Ananth rolled d20+16 and got 12 ( Total: 28 )
AveryCoast: Hit!
Ananth rolled d8+7 and got 2 ( Total: 9 ) for Radiant, +2 to saving throws USONT, enemy inflicted w/ vuln 3 radiant UEONT, +2 to all defenses USONT
AveryCoast: As you step near the mirror, you step out of the golden mirror. Well, if you had been drenched in gold and your body malformed.
Jeremy: "…Huuuuh."
Ananth: "…interesting."
[OOC] AveryCoast: 9!
AveryCoast: Gerald?
Jack: "That's pretty gaudy."
Jeremy‘ walks right up to the edge but doesn’t step into whatever that green gunk is, fire firing at the Chandra clone after pulling his shotgun out… [Twin Strike]
Jeremy‘ rolled 2#d20+15(1) and got 18 ( Total: 33 )
Also rolled 2#d20+15(2) and got 3 [Total: 18]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 51
AveryCoast: 1 hit!
Then the old man.
AveryCoast: The clone dissipates! [KO!]
Jeremy` rolled 2#d20+13(1) and got 9 ( Total: 22 )
Also rolled 2#d20+13(2) and got 5 [Total: 18]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 40
AveryCoast: Misses!
AveryCoast: Phyllis?
Hilda hops down onto the rubble pile, conjures a [Mage Hand] near Gene, then assaults him with an [Illusory Ambush]!
Hilda rolled d20+15 and got 4 ( Total: 19.0 ) for vs will
AveryCoast: Miss!
AveryCoast: Zane?
ChefBatali nods at Jack. "Lets see what happens…" and he darts forward, past a few of the smaller gold things on the wall. [Double move]
AveryCoast: How close?
AveryCoast: 5 feet? 10 feet? 15 feet like you are now?
Jack: "I would have tried to break one first, haha."
[OOC] ChefBatali: straight line, so 15 feet yeah
AveryCoast: Nothing happens
ChefBatali: "Alright so if you keep your distance they seem to behave."
AveryCoast: The man punches at Chandrasekhar before following up with a roundhouse kick. [Full Discipline Attack]
AveryCoast rolled d20+15 and got 13 ( Total: 28 )
AveryCoast rolled 2d12+4 and got 5, 5 ( Total: 14.0 )
ChefBatali visibly perks at someobody busting out the unarmed combat.
AveryCoast: His punch knocks Chandrasekhar into the air before he drops, landing for 14 damage and prone!
AveryCoast rolled d20+17 and got 17 ( Total: 34 ) for CA from prone
AveryCoast rolled 2d12+4 and got 12, 4 ( Total: 20.0 )
Hilda: "Something seems… off. Ottavia, how’s your history?"
AveryCoast: And hitting for another 20 damage as the kick sends him flying across the room!
Jeremy: "Yow."
Ottavia: "Decent."
Ananth lands with a thud and then goes flying, which, uh, pretty good for an ancient guy trapped in a vault forever?
AveryCoast: Gene then runs up the cliff nearby before launching into the same combination on Zane. [AP -> Full Discipline Attack]
AveryCoast rolled 2#d20+15(1) and got 8 ( Total: 23.0 )
Also rolled 2#d20+15(2) and got 7 [Total: 22.0 (Low), Avg: 7.00]
Total: 45.0, Avg: 7.50
AveryCoast: but missing both.
Jack: "This man has -zero- chill!"
AveryCoast: Oh right. Chandra is zapped for another [2!] lightning damage. [Hands of Heaven and Hell]
Stocke: "I can't help but be impressed, honestly."
ChefBatali blocks and then sways backward like a willow tree under the kick. "Well hello there!"
AveryCoast: With each blow, his fists begin to crackle with more and more lightning, like he's gathering energy for a powerful attack.
AveryCoast: also divine challenge damage
AveryCoast: Ernst?
Stocke drops his robot beside Ottavia before glancing at her. He doesn't say anything but his expression is probably enough. He then moves up beside Gerald and fires his shotgun at Gene. [Magic Weapon]
Stocke rolled 2#d20+15(1) and got 2 ( Total: 17.0 )
Also rolled 2#d20+15(2) and got 19 [Total: 34.0 (High), Avg: 19.00]
Total: 51.0, Avg: 10.50
AveryCoast: She's mage-cuffed anyway. She's not going to be contributing.
AveryCoast: 1 hit!
Stocke rolled d8+8 and got 5 ( Total: 13.0 ) for Gerald gets +2 to hit +3 damage roll. -1 AC on enemy
[OOC] AveryCoast: 13!
Let's be less dumb and actually make that Phyllis, Chandra and Gerald
AveryCoast: Sure.
AveryCoast: Garrett!
Jack‘ turns to his left and throws his dagger at the mirror there. [Sly Flourish]
[OOC] Jack: the nonmagical one
AveryCoast: Well
AveryCoast: That means none of them
AveryCoast: to be fair
[OOC] Jack: ??
[OOC] ChefBatali: I think he means the nonmagical dagger?)
AveryCoast: ah
[OOC] Jack: yeah haha
Jeremy: "Tiny bit more worried about the guy that punched the other guy in full plate halfway across the room than I am the mirror, personally."
AveryCoast: it makes a scratch on the mirror.
Jack: "I’d rather not fight more people that came clawing out of the mirrors because the guy punched them near one"
Jack: "But that didn't seem to work, so."
Jack‘ moves up.
AveryCoast: Battle Order: | 26:Chandrasekhar | 21:Gerald | 21:Phyllis | 20:Zane | 19:Gene | 18:Ernst | 12:Garrett |
Jeremy: "Eh the doppleganger wasn’t anywhere near as tough as the original."
AveryCoast: Chandrasekhar!
[OOC] Ananth: prone means I have to eat a move standing up, yes?
AveryCoast: Yes. If you use an implement attack on him you can maintain Challenge, though.
[OOC] Ananth: Also Fue how long does that buff last?
AveryCoast: End of his next turn
[OOC] Stocke: Until the end of my next turn
[OOC] Stocke: So if you AP you get both buffed etc
[OOC] Ananth: Aleith Challenge will fall off if I'm not standing next to him though????
[OOC] AveryCoast: if you aren't adjacent OR don't attack him
[OOC] AveryCoast: Some paladins don't melee!
[OOC] Jack: if it makes you feel better I didn't know the 'or don't attack him' bit
[OOC] Ananth: also he's Slowed since my punisher went off
AveryCoast: Ah, yes
AveryCoast: that does make things more inconvenient :(
Ananth stands up, prays for [Virtue], moves in close, and strikes with [Radiant Delirium]!
Ananth rolled d20+14 and got 10 ( Total: 24 ) for +2, vs. Ref
AveryCoast: Hit!
Ananth rolled 3d8+10 and got 1, 8, 2 ( Total: 21 ) for +3, -1 AC I think from Fue's thing?, dazed UEONT, -2 penalty to AC (save ends)
[OOC] AveryCoast: 21!
AveryCoast: Gerald!
Jeremy‘ hops down into the rubble, getting a bit closer before unleashes a flurry of shotgun shells upon the old man. [AP] [Two-Fanged Strike] -> [Biting Volley]
Jeremy` rolled 2#d20+23(1) and got 14 ( Total: 37 )
Also rolled 2#d20+23(2) and got 10 [Total: 33]
Also rolled 2#d20+20(1) and got 9 [Total: 29]
Also rolled 2#d20+20(2) and got 15 [Total: 35]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 134
AveryCoast: Hits!
Jeremy` rolled 2d8+14 and got 5, 7 ( Total: 26 )
Also rolled 2d8+14 and got 6, 1 [Total: 21]
d8+4: 3 [Total: 7]
Also rolled 2d8+14 and got 2, 1 [Total: 17]
Also rolled 2d8+14 and got 7, 1 [Total: 22]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 93
Jeremy` rolled 4#d20+20(1) and got 7 ( Total: 27 )
Also rolled 4#d20+20(2) and got 19 [Total: 39]
Also rolled 4#d20+20(3) and got 20 [Total: 40]
Also rolled 4#d20+20(4) and got 19 [Total: 39]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 145
[OOC] Jeremy: LOL okay adjusting damage
AveryCoast: last shot was a crit!
AveryCoast: you can just reroll the last one
[OOC] Jeremy: both hits of the volley were in fact
AveryCoast: …oh right
AveryCoast: 19-20 >_>
Yamobot: AveryCoast rolled 26+21+7 -> {54}
[OOC] AveryCoast: 54!] from Two-Fanged Strike! And [3!] more from Radiant Delirium just earlier
Jeremy` rolled 2#2d6+30(1) and got 6, 4 ( Total: 40 )
Also rolled 2#2d6+30(2) and got 2, 1 [Total: 33]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 73
AveryCoast: And another [73!]
[OOC] Jeremy: also 7 more from maxing quarry on second hit obv
AveryCoast: Phyllis!
Ananth: "…damn."
Hilda [moves] her Mage Hand closer to Gene and lets loose with a simple barrage of illusions. [Illusory Ambush] [Illusory Ambush]
Jeremy: "Huh that actually worked EXACTLY how I saw it playing out in my head. Nice."
[OOC] Hilda: AP] of course.
AveryCoast: Of course.
Hilda rolled d20+15 and got 7 ( Total: 22.0 ) for vs will
d20+15: 2 [Total: 17.0 (Low), Avg: 2.00]
Total: 39.0, Avg: 4.50
AveryCoast: Hit, miss!
Hilda rolled d6+11 and got 3 ( Total: 14.0 ) for and Gene has -2 to attacks UEoPNT
[OOC] AveryCoast: 14!
AveryCoast: Zane!
ChefBatali moves in, unleashing a flurry of his own kicks and punches as he starts circling. "What style is that? And… who are you?" [Normal attack, Shift]
ChefBatali rolled d20+15 and got 17 ( Total: 32 )
AveryCoast: Hit!
ChefBatali rolled 2d8+8 and got 7, 1 ( Total: 16.0 ) for and knocked prone!
[OOC] AveryCoast: 16! Bloodied!
AveryCoast: You finally land a telling blow, and see that beneath his skin lies a roil of demon flesh. He explodes into fire, and then keeps burning. [Demon’s Souls]
AveryCoast rolled d20+9 and got 14 ( Total: 23 ) for vs AC
ChefBatali: "That's not healthy. That's not healthy at all."
[OOC] AveryCoast: Any creature that ends its turn adjacent to him takes 5 fire damage.
[OOC] ChefBatali: Just gonna adjust where I shifted to after I bloodied him, thanks
AveryCoast: Probably a good idea.
Gene stands up.
AveryCoast: Ernst!
AveryCoast rolled d20+5 and got 8 ( Total: 13 ) for save ends
Jeremy: "Wait…"
Stocke hops down and sends +24 HP Chandra's way before firing another [Magic Weapon] at Gene.
[OOC] AveryCoast: 8!] from Divine Challenge
Stocke rolled 2#d20+17(1) and got 15 ( Total: 32.0 )
Also rolled 2#d20+17(2) and got 7 [Total: 24.0 (Low), Avg: 7.00]
Total: 56.0, Avg: 11.00
Jeremy: "Did the demon try and lure us here down with an attractive female voice… then decide to fight us in the form of an old kung fu master guy…?"
AveryCoast: Hits!
Jeremy: "That's really confusing."
Hilda: "Doesn't seem so. There's probably some relation, but."
Stocke rolled 2d8+11 and got 6, 8 ( Total: 25.0 ) for -1 AC to Gene, +2 to hit, +3 dmg for Chandra and Gerald
The old man just cackles.
AveryCoast: It's more than a little unnerving.
Jeremy‘ frowns.
Jeremy: "I don’t get demons."
Stocke: "You're telling me."
Gene: "Please, I could never be my mistress."
Ananth: "I imagine we're being tested."
Gene: "I'll offer up your corpses to her in offering!"
ChefBatali: "I just want to know what style that is. I don't recognize it."
Jack‘ hustles up to the old man and gives him the business. [Opening Move]
AveryCoast: A deformed golden copy of Zane steps out of the nearby mirror.
Jack` rolled 1d20+18 and got 7 ( Total: 25 ) for vs AC
ChefBatali: "Whoop found the minimum distance."
AveryCoast: Hit!
Jack` rolled 2d4+13 and got 4, 4 ( Total: 21 )
Also rolled 2d8 and got 8, 1 [Total: 9]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 30
Jack` keeps up the pressure! [AP] [Sly Flourish]
[OOC] AveryCoast: 30!
Jack` rolled 1d20+18 and got 7 ( Total: 25 ) for vs AC
AveryCoast: Hit!
Jack` rolled 1d4+17 and got 3 ( Total: 20 )
Also rolled 2d8 and got 5, 6 [Total: 11]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 31
Jack` slashes along Gene’s legs! [Minor - Low Slash]
[OOC] AveryCoast: 31!
Jack‘ rolled 1d20+18 and got 4 ( Total: 22 ) for vs Ref
Jack: "Heck."
AveryCoast: Miss!
AveryCoast: Battle Order: | 26:Chandrasekhar | 21:Gerald | 21:Phyllis | 20:Zane | 19:Gene | 18:Ernst | 12:Garrett |
AveryCoast: And another [25!] from Ernst
AveryCoast: Chandrasekhar!
Ananth moves in a step closer and bashes his sword against the air itself! [Astral Thunder]
Ananth rolled d20+12 and got 12 ( Total: 24 ) for vs. Fort
AveryCoast: Hit!
Ananth rolled 2d8+7 and got 2, 3 ( Total: 12 ) for thunder damage, maintains challenge, UEONT targets take -3 attack penalty
[OOC] AveryCoast: 12!
Jeremy` fires off another quick burst after putting into another ammo clip. [Twin Strike]
Jeremy` rolled 4#d20+15(1) and got 15 ( Total: 30 )
Also rolled 4#d20+15(2) and got 18 [Total: 33]
Also rolled 4#d20+15(3) and got 20 [Total: 35]
Also rolled 4#d20+15(4) and got 9 [Total: 24]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 122
AveryCoast: Hits!
Jeremy` rolled 2d8+9 and got 1, 8 ( Total: 18 )
Also rolled 2d6+33 and got 1, 5 [Total: 39]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 57
AveryCoast: Oh yes the 2nd was a crit
[OOC] AveryCoast: 57!
AveryCoast: Phyllis!
Hilda cranes her head, trying to recall anything she’s heard about demonic mistresses and corrupted monks in the Crypta H. [Religion? History?] Though while she's thinking, she -does- put two and two together about something else, and doesn't expect any knowledge to stay her hand, so. [Illusory Ambush] as well.
Hilda rolled d20+15 and got 15 ( Total: 30.0 ) for Illusory Ambush, vs Will
AveryCoast: Sure, either work for the check
Hilda rolled d6+11 and got 4 ( Total: 15.0 )
AveryCoast: Hit! [15!]
Hilda rolled d20+14 and got 1 ( Total: 15.0 ) for they're the same score!
AveryCoast: You don't remember :(
AveryCoast rolled d20+13 and got 8 ( Total: 21 ) for Ottavia
AveryCoast: She doesn't remember anything either.
AveryCoast: Zane's golden doppleganger swings a golden MW bastard sword at him!
AveryCoast rolled d20+15 and got 4 ( Total: 19 )
Stocke sighs. "I am right here you know."
AveryCoast: But mises.
Stocke rolled d20+14 and got 15 ( Total: 29.0 ) for History
[OOC] Ananth: "Who said that!?"
Jeremy: "Huh?"
Hilda: "I - yes? What?"
AveryCoast: You seem to recall reading about a godhand (a kind of paladin/monk of the Clergy) three centuries ago that grew obsessed with the lore of Ashima-Shimtu, but then disappeared. His name was Gene.
AveryCoast: Zane!
ChefBatali slips under his doppelgangers sword strike, fading back and kicking Gene in the back of the neck. [Shift, Normal Attack]
ChefBatali rolled d20+17 and got 7 ( Total: 24 )
Stocke relays this information before shaking his head.
AveryCoast: That's not a miss :(
ChefBatali rolled 2d8+8 and got 3, 4 ( Total: 15.0 ) for and knocked out!
[OOC] AveryCoast: KO!
AveryCoast: Ernst?
Stocke aims his shotgun at Zane[Dopple]. [Magic Weapon]
Stocke rolled 2#d20+15(1) and got 7 ( Total: 22.0 )
Also rolled 2#d20+15(2) and got 9 [Total: 24.0 (Low), Avg: 9.00]
Total: 46.0, Avg: 8.00
ChefBatali: "Man… I really need to know where he learned that."
Stocke rolled d8+8 and got 2 ( Total: 10.0 )
[OOC] AveryCoast: KO!
Jeremy: "Well, that was fun adjacent I guess."
Jeremy‘ climbs back up.
Jack: "Yeah, you got a shoot a guy. Like, four times!"
Jeremy: "Six, but."
Ananth: "You’re mildly terrifying, my friend."
Stocke: "Just so we're clear, what's the plan when we get out of here?"
Jack: "Go back to the enclave, drop her off someplace secure, crepes in the morning. Feel like crepes?"
Jeremy: "What're crepes again?"
Jack: "Conal pancake."
Jeremy: "Sounds good."
Hilda wanders back over to Ottavia. "The angel said to listen to you, right?"
ChefBatali: "Really? You're gonna make me cook crepes after this?"
Ananth: "Or to the demoness talking to us in our heads."
Ananth: "Which, by the way-" -he looks… up? around? "How'd we do~?"
Jack‘ snickers. "My bad, my man, didn’t mean to put you on the spot like that. But think of how Jeremy would be…!"
Jack: "Can you resist his baby-blue puppy-dog eyes."
Ottavia shrugs. "Take it how you will."
AveryCoast: Maybe the end of the vault…?
ChefBatali: "…Yes."
ChefBatali turns and heads towards the unexplored area.
Hilda: "Out of curiosity, you have a ring, don't you?"
Jack: "Hah, well, you heard the man." He heads deeper in, still wary of mirrors.
Ottavia nods. "I do, yes." It shines silver on her finger.
Ananth: "(He's totally going to make crepes. Watch.)" He heads further in.
Jeremy: "…Why do they make 'em in cones though? That's goofy." Following behind Zane
Hilda: "I suppose there's an inscription."
ChefBatali: "To put filling in them."
Ottavia: "Yes. 'Orthodoxy Bolsters Gods'."
You hear the sea waves crashing from a wide well in the center of the room. Above it, a naked woman, her flesh scaled like a serpent, her face inhuman, hangs suspended. Six hook-tipped chains pierce her legs, her back, and her arms. Another hook that sealed her mouth swings loose, and it flutters in the breeze from her lips.
[OOC] AveryCoast: http://i.imgur.com/BYXibbW.jpg
Jeremy‘ tilts his head.
She raises her head and looks at you. The chains stretch and pull at her skin, and she draws a sharp, wounded breath. When the spasm of pain passes, she speaks.
Ashima-Shimtu: "When Triegenes, founder of the Clergy, defeated the Demonocracy, most of the fiend rulers were slain. Because their souls could not return to the hellish planes that spawned them, the corruption drained into this world. Ashima-Shimtu, however, bargained for her life, offering to be a prisoner, and in exchange she would provide guidance on how to find and trap the trace essences of the other high fiends."
Ashima-Shimtu: "The Clergy chained her above this well that leads to the sea, and ringed the wall of the pit with blessings. Now she hangs above a massive font of holy water. The vapor forever stings her, and should she ever wriggle free she will fall and be dissolved. She upheld her end of the bargain for centuries, and learned to meditate and ignore her physical existence so she would not go mad from solitude. Eventually the Clergy captured every fiend’s essence it could find, and they locked them into the same vault with Ashima-Shimtu.
Ashima-Shimtu: "And so the Lady of the Forked Tongue would have been forgotten, if not for the holy war between the eladrin and the Clergy."
Ashima-Shimtu: "Five hundred years ago two people came to the Isle of Odiem and received from Ashima-Shimtu a ritual that could give physical form to a belief. The ritual was used to conjure forth an avatar of the eladrin goddess Srasama, and when she was slain the eladrin race was nearly annihilated."
Ashima-Shimtu: "The surviving heads of the Clergy learned that Ashima-Shimtu had been involved, but she refused to give them the secret of the ritual unless they released her. They threatened to kill her, but she knew the temptation to wield such power made her too valuable to kill. And so she remains, the Keeper of the Secret That Must Not Be Lost, waiting for the day the hierarch of the Clergy releases her."
Ashima-Shimtu: "Today is not that day. The visitors to her prison could never break her chains. But she sees value in them."
Jeremy: "Deeeeefinitely not it."
Ashima-Shimtu: "Opponent of the clergy and their mixed messages, trying to force her version of reality on the world."
Ashima-Shimtu: "The excitable gunner, who tries so hard to do his job right, yet nobody listens."
Ashima-Shimtu: "The scoundrel, trying to forget the fog of drugs by erasing the fog of crimes."
Ashima-Shimtu: "The wandering knight, ever bending in the direction of the wind in fear of breaking."
Ashima-Shimtu: "Son of freedom, student of warfare, doctor of murder, yet still unpractised."
Ashima-Shimtu: "The budding golemologist, more concerned with his toys than the people he said he’d help."
Ashima-Shimtu: "Even the lost elf, trapped between two sets of masters."
Ashima-Shimtu: "Ashima-Shimtu has meditated, and being the guest of priests this past millennium has given her time to consider matters of morality. She could condemn these intruders to a slow death of starvation, as she has so many times before, but she offers them instead their freedom, since she cannot have such herself.
Ashima-Shimtu: "This is no devil's bargain, nor a gift that must be repaid by force of infernal contract. The visitors to her prison desire to leave. They need only step to the lip of this well, speak the name of where they would travel, and dive in. Ashima-Shimtu will see them safely there. More, she will conceal them for a time, so that the divinations of their enemies will think them dead. She thinks this is the least she can do to thank her visitors for removing the unpleasant man who had bothered her."
Then, eerily, the demoness seems to smile with amusement for a moment before lowering her head. The chains themselves seem to relax, and she sighs as the pain subsides.
ChefBatali: "See, told you the way out was in here."
ChefBatali sounds nonchalant but there's more than a little white around his eyes.
Ananth: "…oh, shit."
Jack: "Uh."
Ananth is clearly very articulate.
Jack: "I'm not 100% on my theology but,"
Jack: "-Assuming- that's for real."
ChefBatali: "Yeah."
Jeremy‘ scratches at the side of his face with the barrel of his gun.
ChefBatali looks at Ashima-Shimtu. "Really? All of that, all at once?"
Ananth: "Who…" He coughs, his voice scratchy, eyes wide.
Ashima-Shimtu: "She has power unused. Hanging for centuries with no where to use it."
Hilda doesn’t seem to have any issue saying what she thinks Chandra struggles with. "What pair of people killed Srasama?"
Ashima-Shimtu: "Many blades and arrows slew the goddess."
Jeremy: "Yeah even I knew that."
Ananth: "…did you know of the risk? Did they know of the risk?"
ChefBatali doesn't even try to pretend, he just finds a place to sit down before he falls down.
Ashima-Shimtu: "Everything is a risk."
Jeremy: "(Man… are you high right now?)" Gerald asides to Garrett.
Jack: "(Shit I wish.)"
Ananth lets out a quiet puff of breath. "But did they know that?"
Jeremy‘ walks up to the well, peers down into it.
AveryCoast: She doesn’t answer.
Hilda: "… I can actually hazard a guess as to who."
Ananth: "Will you tell me who came to you, and asked you for the secret, O Lady?"
AveryCoast: There's a wide well. The water is 20 feet down, and steams slightly.
Hilda: "The timeline may match up. But I'd need to cross-reference some history."
Ashima-Shimtu: "The pair had their own secrets to keep."
Jeremy: "Anyway to sum it up: fuck the clergy, they don't like us, so you're willing to help us out because, well, fuck the clergy?"
ChefBatali pulls out a pad of paper and pencil and starts writing.
ChefBatali: "No, she's helping us out because that guy we fought was a pain in her ass."
Jack: "Plus we killed that guy for her."
Ashima-Shimtu: "The Lady of the Forked Tongue would agree with that summation."
Hilda: "And yet, she's no longer speaking via telepathy, is she?"
AveryCoast: No, she's physically speaking.
Jeremy: "Hmm. Yeah okay that sounds on the level. I'll go first."
ChefBatali nods politely. "We're in the same room, and the hook isn't sealing her mouth."
Hilda: "How much do you think you should heed the angel's warning, then?"
Ananth: "Such burning truth should never have made its way to mortal hands. And yet…" He looks up, smiles faintly. "You wanted to cleanse the corruption of the Clergy, didn't you?"
Hilda: "'Don’t believe the voices in your ears. Believe only the voice in your head.'"
Jack: "So… be sure to use our left hands, right?"
Jeremy‘ shrugs, pulling himself up onto the walls of the well.
Ananth bows his head, then. "Thank you, O Lady. The path my people have walked has been harsh, but it is our path, moonlit though it may be."
Ashima-Shimtu: "Triegenes was not like the rulers of today. He might weep at the sight."
ChefBatali: "OK, Hilda. But stop and consider who told us not to listen to her in the first place."
Jeremy: "We’re just goin' back to the city we were just in, right?"
Jack: "The docks of that city to be precise." He jerks a head towards Ottavia.
ChefBatali: "Actually no. We should jump to Vendricce."
Jeremy: "You think? Pretty sure we haven't missed the train yet."
AveryCoast: There's a smirk on Ottavia's lip that flattens out at Mr. Batali's words.
ChefBatali: "Luc thinks we're dead. If he sees us on the train… we lose that edge."
ChefBatali: "If we go straight to the end we have time to prepare."
Jack: "And we know exactly where the train is going……….."
ChefBatali: "Bingo."
Jeremy: "Ooh. Yeah, fair enough."
ChefBatali: "We can messenger wind the ship to meet us there, but this gives us a big tactical advantage."
Ananth: "Mmm. Before, I might have scoffed at that; now I know it to be the truth. I don't know what goes on inside a demon's mind, but don't blame yourself for what happened to my people."
Jeremy: "Well, you heard the man. To Vendricce, my good, uh, whatever exactly you are. Ashima-Shimtu."
Ashima-Shimtu: "The ritual could have had a number of results. The one that was chosen could be considered one of the worst."
AveryCoast: The demoness nods. "Dive in when you wish."
Jack: "That will also give us a… what, three day head start to case the place?"
Hilda: "What of our, well."
Jack: "We can probably buy crepes over there."
Jeremy‘ hops down.
Hilda jerks a head back towards Ottavia. "Hostage?"
AveryCoast: The train arrives the next evening on the 16th. The meeting is supposed to be on the 20th.
Ananth: "…I do wonder if either of the two who know your secret still walk the earth, but I suppose that’s one of their secrets." He sighs, deeply.
ChefBatali: "I'm sure Ottavia won't give us any trouble. If she has any sense she'll roll over and spill everything she knows."
AveryCoast: You dive into the water and slip below the waves.
ChefBatali looks at Ashima-Shimtu. "This is too much for me to process right now. But if you are willing, I would return and speak to you again. Perhaps there is something I can bring you from outside to ease your… situation as recompense?"
Hilda stays behind. "I'll follow shortly." Vendricce is … how many miles sfrom here?
Ananth: "…I plan to return here eventually myself."
Ashima-Shimtu: "Many wards surrond this well. Your wish is felt, but your education lies in the wrong direction for this."
ChefBatali nods. "Then I will not seek you out until it's time."
AveryCoast: It's about 200 miles from here.
ChefBatali stands up and bows deeply to the hanging demon. "To Vendricce, please and thank you." And he dives into the well.
Hilda: "Aha. Does such a ward block Sending?"
Ananth bows, deeply, to the demoness. He's still got a weird, shaken expression on his face. "To Vendricce."
Ashima-Shimtu: "For the lost elf, at least. You may have it bypassed if you wish it."
Ottavia slumps at that news.
Ottavia: "I have a feeling not telling you what I know would be bad for my health."
Jack: "That's the spirit."
Hilda reaches for Ottavia's hand. "Well. At least come with me."
AveryCoast: She holds onto it. "Together we go, then. Into the unknown."
Hilda jumps in.
AveryCoast: Ottavia jumps with you.
Jack: "Vendricce it is. Happy trails." He salutes the hanging demon and rolls in.
Stocke follows after the others.
After an indeterminate period of time, that seems like both hours long and mere seconds, you wash ashore near a different city. A forest surrounds most of the city, and a partly-built bridge crosses in the distance towards a jungle-covered land.
AveryCoast: It appears to be the middle of the night.
Jeremy‘ is sitting in the branches of a tree when the others arrive. "Immediate area’s clear."
Jack‘ does all the cool tactical hand signals and then just sort of sneaks forward.
Hilda looks up at the sky. Have the stars moved greatly from where they should be in Winter? [Nature]
AveryCoast: Roll it.
Ananth looks towards the jungle, a little wistfully. A little more wistfully than he would have under other circumstances.
Hilda rolled d20+11 and got 7 ( Total: 18.0 )
AveryCoast: Doesn’t look much different than last night, adjusting for the different lattitude.
Hilda: Not that one could tell days. Though the moon's cycle may be enough for that.
Ananth: "Heh. The trustworthy demoness."
Hilda: "The voice in your head is your own, by the way."
Hilda: "That's the answer."
Jeremy: "No reason not to trust someone doing a thing to fuck with someone else they hate." Gerald shrugs down towards Ananth.
Jack: "Oh, hah!"
ChefBatali: "The enemy of your enemy makes a fairly reliable ally."
Jeremy: "Anyway, camping out here or trying to get to the city?"
AveryCoast: Provided the time is not terribly wrong, you have about 18 hours until the train Luc's on pulls in to Vendricce.
Jack: "But have you ever dove face-first into a pool of holy water… on feyweed?"
Ananth: "I
ChefBatali washes his hands in the ocean and rubs his face. "Into the city. I need time to scout."
Hilda: "Regardless of wherever we go, I want some time alone with Ottavia." There's a dangerous glint in her eye.
Ananth: "I've done a lot on feyweed, only some of which I'll admit to in polite company, but not that, I'm afraid."
Jeremy: "…Why alone?"
Jeremy‘ drops down from the tree branch, then starts walking city-ward.
Hilda: "Rituals that require concentration."
Jack: "We can get in on the sly."
Jeremy: "Oh that’s fair, me and Jack are super distracting."
Ananth saves vs. Will to not wriggle his eyebrows.
ChefBatali looks at Ottavia. Back to Phyllis. "I don't really want to kill her. Try and talk some sense into her while you are making with the rituals."
Hilda: "Of course." Don't burn the book; instead, kill the idea. "
[OOC] Hilda: - the last quote
ChefBatali nods and turns to Jack. "Take us in. We've got work to do."
Jack‘ nods and heads along the coast.
AveryCoast: You meet up with your contacts, knocking on one of their doors during the night. They provide you a place to stay while you’re here.
Jack: "Thank you, friends. I promise we'll be quiet."
Jack: "Mostly."
Stocke makes his way to his bed and just kind of flops over into it. He's had enough bullshit for one day.
Contact: "Right, right."
AveryCoast: So, what's up with Ottavia, Hilda?
Hilda: Before bed, she pulls out her orb and turns to Ottavia, all gentle smiles and sunshine. "I feel like we have great potential to understand each other, despite our - well, differing allegiances. We have some time, so let's just talk." [Instant Friends] [Orb Of Imposition] [Orb of Mental Dominion] (Save vs. Instant Friends is -2, roll twice and take lower)
[OOC] Hilda: Or - well, +5 to that roll if Phyllis' level or higher, -5 to that roll if lower or doesn't have a level
[OOC] Hilda: so either +3 or -7
AveryCoast: She's higher level than you.
AveryCoast rolled 2#d20+3(1) and got 14 ( Total: 17.0 )
Also rolled 2#d20+3(2) and got 4 [Total: 7.0 (Low), Avg: 4.00]
Total: 24.0, Avg: 9.00
AveryCoast: Looks like it worked.
Hilda: She treats Phyllis as a trusted friend for …
AveryCoast rolled d4 and got 2 ( Total: 2 )
AveryCoast: A couple of hours.
[OOC] Hilda: probably save that scene for later? unless there's other stuff we can do
AveryCoast: Is there anything specific you want to ask? I can give you a rundown on what she nows.
knows
Hilda: "You alluded to goals earlier. Something about cleansing society from the people that cause problems. I think shots started firing before you could answer, though."
Hilda: "Maybe we agree. Maybe not. Either way, I didn't hear you the first time."
Hilda: "… pardon the expression."
Ottavia: "No apologies necessary. The Obscurati are a group of enlightend thinkers who want to reform society and improve the lot of the poor and weak."
Ottavia: "Luc's lantern will be used to shield and illuminate the weak when an inevitable reckoning occurs."
Hilda: "That sounds admirable. What kind of people have you been targetting?"
Ottavia: "I've been helping them by acquiring information to disgrace hierarchs that were abusing their power, while working to promote more generous priests."
Hilda: "Abusing their power how? Can you give me an example?"
AveryCoast: She goes into a list of various abuses of power such as siphoning donation funds for their own purses and coercing followers into various things.
Hilda: Here's a question that might take advantage of some potential information asymmetry: "Are all the Obscurati's rings silver?"
Ottavia: "Only for the cell I'm part of."
Hilda: "Aha. Here I was thinking you were being used, trapped in a small bubble of someone's greater schemes."
Ottavia: "Some of the others I've met had rings with different metals or rings with different gemstones."
Hilda: "Which still might be true, but at least you know of other cells."
Hilda: "What do you think of - well, you saw the angel trapped in there. Does that shatter your faith, or does it at least make you question the teachings of your church, or … well, given who you've targetted, does it just confirm what you already know?"
Ottavia shakes her head sadly. "Only confirms what I knew. Even that poor angel only had the best of words for Triegenes."
Hilda: "Hell, even *I* do. I'm no believer, but I can tell it's lost its way."
Hilda: "How are the inscriptions on your rings chosen?"
Ottavia: "I was given mine."
Hilda: And it probably goes on like that for a while.
Hilda: What else do they talk about? Give us the rundown.
AveryCoast: She explains that Bree was hired by Caius Beregon to provide the original security for their trip, and hired Boone and Verzubak as additional security. They all watched for anyone following Luc and herself, and spotted Jeremy following them the third night, when she received the sending warning about possible Risuri agents that same night.
Hilda: "Do you know who the sending was from?"
Ottavia: "One of the people Luc is meeting tonight, Anna Davis."
AveryCoast: She explains that after the train stops this evening, most of the cars will be detached, and the engine will bring the last couple of cars to a smaller station just south of the main station at the enclave.
Hilda: "Including first class, I suppose?"
AveryCoast: The car Luc and Ottavia were staying in, and the lounge car at the rear, yes.
Hilda: Coming near the end: "Are you scared of the situation you're in?"
AveryCoast: Luc will be meeting with some people that evening before being escorted to the meeting place, though the only people she knows are going to be there for sure are the twin sisters she knows, Emily and Anna Davis, who work with her in Crisillyir, as well as Luc's sister, Lya Jierre.
Saylin looks up at that.
[OOC] Saylin: SPIRITS!!!
Zane looks up at that. Smiles wolfishly. And starts sharpening his sword.
Ottavia: "Of course I am. I'm not sure why Risurians would want to stop us."
Ottavia: "But here I am, in enemy hands with no idea of my fate tomorrow."
Hilda: "We stopped plots that would have hurt the poor and weak you ostensibly want to protect. I am unsure why, if the Obscurati's real aims are as you say they are, to blow up entire districts or unleash beasts from other planes in our city."
Ottavia shakes her head. "I have no idea what you're talking about."
Hilda: "Of course you don't, divided by cells as you are. Such as there's a discrepancy between the Clergy's ostensible beliefs and there actions, so there is one with the Obscurati. At least with the beliefs you've stated."
Hilda: "If you don't believe me now but you realize later that you're a pawn, you know who to come to."
Ottavia: "I'm not sure I'm going to have much of a choice in a Risuri prison."
Hilda gently pets Ottavia on the head. "Anything else to tell me? You've been such a *good* girl so far."
AveryCoast: Just that she's not sure who the leaders of the Obscurati are but at least some of them should be meeting Luc.
Hilda: "Thank you very much, then. It was good talking with you."
Ottavia: "Of course. Please put in a good word about how cooperative I was with your superiors."
Hilda: "Of course." Well, only if she -stays- cooperative after these two hours are up.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License