Zg Session 35

AveryCoast: Fifteen minutes outside of Nalaam, Malia politely reminds you to please return to your seats. More than other cities on the route, Nalaam is renowned for its tricky thieves. She suggests you keep an eye on your personal effects, to make sure no one hops on board in the commotion and nicks your valuables.
AveryCoast: Nalaam, a city founded upon a wellspring of magical energy, and controlled by a cabal of powerful wizards, announces its presence with light brighter and more colorful than the sunset. In the shadows of the surrounding mountains, the lights of this infamous den of iniquities hide many crimes and cruelties the rest of the world forbids.
AveryCoast: As the train pulls into the enclave, a gilded, glittering spectacle is revealed. Throngs of people ply business and pleasure out of polished marble caves and atop bizarre structures built in the shapes of arches, trees, even dragons. Above it all rises the Grand Casino, a tower of endless games of chance and skill, which generates immense wealth for the archmage lords of the city.
AveryCoast: Nalaam, with all its temptations, beckons you.
Jack: "(Next time, I think I'll just spend a week here…)"
Jeremy: "How delightfully decadent."
ChefBatali runs a hand over his head. Gonna be a busy night. he starts brewing one last batch of coffee.
AveryCoast: There's about 90 minutes before you have to meet Mr. Griento in front of the premier lodgings at 7:30. Any plans?
Jack‘ has one of those cups of coffee.
Jeremy: "So… hittin’ up the casino, right?"
Ananth: "So long as you don't bet what you can't afford to lose, young master."
Jack: "Is that connected to the arena?"
Jeremy: "Hell if I know, never been here before."
AveryCoast: They're close to each other, but not right beside it.
Jack‘ reads the letter again, rubs his eyes.
Jack: "Well… stay limber."
ChefBatali: "She certainly does seem… enthusiastic."
Hilda flips open her ritual book. … and frowns. No names, other than the conman, who seems to be in Risur, not here.
AveryCoast: Damata meets you outside the hotel. "Thank you for coming. I’m sorry for having dragged you into this mess."
Hilda: Though she does have one: Read Omen.
ChefBatali shrugs. "You know why I'm here, Damata. Save your apologies for your wife and children."
Jeremy: "So what exactly is the plan here…?"
Jack‘ claps Damata on the shoulder. "Try not to dig a deeper pit after this."
Jack: "Though at least it sounds like you’ve gotten the degrees from others too, so I'll save my breath."
ChefBatali grunts.
Jack‘ also hangs back as the group moves, trying to blend into the background, be less conspicious that he’s with them. Trying to be stealthy, you know.
Ananth‘ meets Damata’s gaze, nods. This is, all things considered, probably not the wisest thing they could be doing, but he's got a feeling it'll all work out in the end. Providence!
AveryCoast: Damata starts pulling out some small items from a bag and hands them out to you before you get moving. They're little totems. "These should help out a bit." [+20 THP and +1 attack/damage rolls while fighting for a Griento warchief]
Jeremy: "Huh… okay?"
Jack‘ pockets the totem.
AveryCoast: He leads you over to a cave about a mile away from the enclave, with a blacksmith’s anvil hanging on a sign above the entrance.
ChefBatali takes the totem and makes a small gesture of respect before pocketing it. "Be polite, you're dealing with his ancestors. Sorta."
AveryCoast: A few guards at the mouth of the cave escort you inside to a foyer/store-front area, with another tunnel leading inside. Aside from the guards, about a dozen others stand inside-several brutish types, a smith, and a slim, shady-looking fellow.
Sly: "Well, Damata, at least you're punctual. You have the goods?"
Ananth‘ handles the totem with respect. It’s good to have anyone's ancestors watching over you.
Damata: "No. I can't part with my ancestor's treasures merely to satisfy a personal debt."
Sly: "Are you crazy? What you come here for then? Come to die?"
Damata: "If necessary, I would be prepared to do that."
Sly: "I guess we won't stop there, then. We'll make sure your children're working in the mines outside here until they die paying off that debt!"
ChefBatali: "You have a couple of options here. One, we kill you and Damata keeps his ancestral treasures. Two, the Family goes after the con-man that stole their money instead of some helpless rube… and Damata keeps his ancestral treasures."
ChefBatali: "Personally I don't care how it shakes out. But you'll die before any of your little flunkes, I promise that."
Sly: "That ain't happening, man. I don't know what sob story this guy told you, but he said he'd be bringing goods for the money he lost, and now he's breaking that promise."
Ananth: "I don't know about that. They look kinda weak. Then again, he does, too~, so~…"
Sly: "Not gonna go chasing a ghost on your or his word."
Jeremy‘ leans over towards Garrett, "(Loan shark has a point, why are we doing this again…?)"
Jack: "(Because then we get to call in a favor on our friends later.)"
ChefBatali shrugs. "Well, if he’s been lying to me I'll cut his throat and let his family live on the insurance. In the meantime, one last chance to surrender."
Sly pulls out a knife. The enforcers pull out a couple of pistols each. "Not happening. Get 'em, boys!"
Hilda: "What if we tempted the conman with another mark, or some other kind of deal he couldn't resist? A Sending or something should be enough to get a quick reply. If he takes the bait, you know exactly who to find."
AveryCoast: Battle Order: | 27:Enforcer G-H | 25:Enforcer I-J | 24:Phyllis | 23:Garrett | 23:Gerald | 22:Sly Fomazelli | 20:Enforcer E | 17:Enforcer C | 16:Zane | 12:Enforcer A | 11:Enforcer F | 10:Enforcer B | 10:Enforcer D | 9:Chandrasekhar | 6:Damata |
Hilda: "Oh, so we're doing this."
Ananth: "Yeah, we're doin' this."
Jack: "It's happening."
AveryCoast: Enforcers G, H, I, and J fire on Damata, Garrett, Phyllis, and Chandrasekhar with one of their pistols.
AveryCoast rolled 4#d20+14(1) and got 16 ( Total: 30.0 )
Also rolled 4#d20+14(2) and got 13 [Total: 27.0 (High), Avg: 13.00]
Also rolled 4#d20+14(3) and got 18 [Total: 32.0 (High), Avg: 18.00]
Also rolled 4#d20+14(4) and got 7 [Total: 21.0 (Low), Avg: 7.00]
Total: 110.0, Avg: 13.50
AveryCoast: Damata, Garrett and Phyllis each take 8 damage!
AveryCoast: Phyllis?
Hilda: "Jeremy's right. Here's the treasure."
Hilda tosses … something at Sly's feet. It's not the treasure, but its magics certainly make it seem so. [Visions of Avarice]
Hilda rolled 6#d20+14(1) and got 18 ( Total: 32.0 ) for vs Will, Sly then all minions except J
Also rolled 6#d20+14(2) and got 16 [Total: 30.0 (High), Avg: 16.00]
Also rolled 6#d20+14(3) and got 16 [Total: 30.0 (High), Avg: 16.00]
Also rolled 6#d20+14(4) and got 20 [Total: 34.0 (High), Avg: 20.00]
Also rolled 6#d20+14(5) and got 3 [Total: 17.0 (Low), Avg: 3.00]
Also rolled 6#d20+14(6) and got 3 [Total: 17.0 (Low), Avg: 3.00]
Total: 160.0, Avg: 12.67
Hilda rolled 4#d20+14(1) and got 5 ( Total: 19.0 ) for vs Will, other minions not in first roll
Also rolled 4#d20+14(2) and got 13 [Total: 27.0 (High), Avg: 13.00]
Also rolled 4#d20+14(3) and got 12 [Total: 26.0 (High), Avg: 12.00]
Also rolled 4#d20+14(4) and got 20 [Total: 34.0 (High), Avg: 20.00]
Total: 106.0, Avg: 12.50
AveryCoast: Hits all but 3 minions!
[OOC] AveryCoast: D, E, F
[OOC] Hilda: where was F's initial positioning
AveryCoast: I don't remember
AveryCoast: okay sure let's do that
Hilda does it again! [Minor Action]
Hilda rolled 3#d20+14(1) and got 4 ( Total: 18.0 )
Also rolled 3#d20+14(2) and got 12 [Total: 26.0 (High), Avg: 12.00]
Also rolled 3#d20+14(3) and got 9 [Total: 23.0 (Low), Avg: 9.00]
Total: 67.0, Avg: 8.33
AveryCoast: Misses D!
Hilda: Also, Immobilized (Save Ends) on all hit except E and F!
AveryCoast: Alright. Garrett? Gerald?
Jack‘ hustles forward and flicks his wrist- his magical dagger splits into many shadows, flying through the grouped enemies! [Cloud of Steel]
AveryCoast: The smithy’s guards, by the way, head into the tunnel, closing and barring the door behind them, while the smith himself melts into the stone at the back of the shop.
Jack‘ rolled 7#1d20+19(1) and got 4 ( Total: 23 ) for vs AC on Sly, Enforcer A-F, has CA on all of them [First Strike]
Also rolled 7#1d20+19(2) and got 12 [Total: 31]
Also rolled 7#1d20+19(3) and got 10 [Total: 29]
Also rolled 7#1d20+19(4) and got 11 [Total: 30]
Also rolled 7#1d20+19(5) and got 7 [Total: 26]
Also rolled 7#1d20+19(6) and got 14 [Total: 33]
Also rolled 7#1d20+19(7) and got 6 [Total: 25]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 197
Jack` rolled 3#1d20+17(1) and got 7 ( Total: 24 ) for G H I
Also rolled 3#1d20+17(2) and got 16 [Total: 33]
Also rolled 3#1d20+17(3) and got 6 [Total: 23]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 80
Jack` rolled 1d4+8 and got 2 ( Total: 10 ) for close blast 5, this is SA damage on Sly
Also rolled 2d8 and got 6, 2 [Total: 8]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 18
AveryCoast: Hits all of the first 7, and H! [KOx7!] [18!]
AveryCoast: Gerald?
Jeremy: "Anyway." Gerald shrugs, unslings his rifle, then sinks two bullets into sly, [Two-Fanged Strike]
Jeremy` rolled 2#d20+17(1) and got 13 ( Total: 30 )
Also rolled 2#d20+17(2) and got 11 [Total: 28]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 58
AveryCoast: Hits!
Ananth: "Like I said."
Dicebot:// Dice Sides Error: Unable to parse 10r2 in 2d10r2+26
Jeremy` rolled 2d10r2+26 and got 6, 3 ( Total: 35.0 )
[OOC] AveryCoast: 35!] Bloodied!
AveryCoast: //…oh right.

AveryCoast rolled 2#d3(1) and got 1 ( Total: 1 ) for Sly, G, I
Also rolled 2#d3(2) and got 3 [Total: 3 (High), Avg: 3.00]
Total: 4, Avg: 2.00
AveryCoast: As you aim for the leader, his features shift, his clothes change, and you suddenly can’t tell him apart from anyone around him. It’s a crap-shoot whether you’ll hit the right guy. [Disappear in a Crowd]
AveryCoast: 2nd shot hits I! [KO!] Sly only takes 19!
AveryCoast: Still bloodied.
Jeremy` shakes his head.
AveryCoast: Enforcer G fires at Garret as I drops. [Part of the Family]
AveryCoast rolled d20+14 and got 2 ( Total: 16 )
AveryCoast: Missing.
Sly snaps his fingers, and he and Enforcer G disappear. [Sudden Disappearance
AveryCoast rolled d20+0 and got 10 ( Total: 10 ) for save
AveryCoast: Zane?
ChefBatali grins. "Y’all are even better at this than I expected." And he peers at the room, trying to spot where the invisible mobsters went. [Perception]
ChefBatali rolled d20+9 and got 15 ( Total: 24 )
AveryCoast: They appear to be in the same spots they were in
AveryCoast: Probably because they're immobilized :'D
[OOC] AveryCoast: they're highlighted
ChefBatali: "Oh, that's ridiculous. Good job, Hilda."
Hilda: "One does one's best."
ChefBatali fires an arrow into the air where Sly was. [Normal attack]
ChefBatali rolled d20+14 and got 8 ( Total: 22 )
AveryCoast rolled d2 and got 2 ( Total: 2 )
AveryCoast: Nothing but air as it misses…Enforcer G? [Disappear in a Crowd]
AveryCoast: Battle Order: | 27:Enforcer G | 25:Enforcer J | 24:Phyllis | 23:Garrett | 23:Gerald | 22:Sly Fomazelli | 16:Zane | 9:Chandrasekhar | 6:Damata |
AveryCoast: Chandra?
Ananth‘ rolls up to approximately where everyone must be, at this point, and [Valorous Smite]s whatever he -thinks- Sly is.
AveryCoast rolled d2 and got 1 ( Total: 1 )
AveryCoast: Okay, roll it
Ananth` rolled d20+17 and got 3 ( Total: 20 ) for vs. AC
AveryCoast: Miss.
Ananth: "Kutte ke tatte."
Damata looked harmless until battle began and his blood started burning. Now he roars like a warlord as he points at Sly. [That Old Orc Blood]
[OOC] AveryCoast: Jeremy gets +4 to his first attack roll and +12 damage if the attack hits
AveryCoast: Battle Order: | 27:Enforcer G | 25:Enforcer J | 24:Phyllis | 23:Garrett | 23:Gerald | 22:Sly Fomazelli | 16:Zane | 9:Chandrasekhar | 6:Damata |
Jeremy: "Haha okay, sure."
AveryCoast: Enforcer G pistol whips Chandra.
AveryCoast rolled d20+16 and got 19 ( Total: 35 ) for CA from invisibility
AveryCoast: 8 damage to Chandrasekhar!
AveryCoast rolled d20+0 and got 2 ( Total: 2 ) for save
AveryCoast: Enforcer J shoots at Phyllis again.
AveryCoast rolled d20+14 and got 19 ( Total: 33 )
AveryCoast: Hitting for another 8
AveryCoast: Phyllis?
Hilda steps forward, drops a [Mage Hand], and assails the invisible pair with a swarm of illusory fey sprites. [Winged Horde]
Hilda rolled 2#d20+16(1) and got 9 ( Total: 25.0 ) for AoE, CA from Mage Hand
Also rolled 2#d20+16(2) and got 18 [Total: 34.0 (High), Avg: 18.00]
Total: 59.0, Avg: 13.50
[OOC] Hilda: Vs Will
AveryCoast: Hit, KO!
Hilda rolled d6+7 and got 6 ( Total: 13.0 ) for +1 from Damata
[OOC] AveryCoast: 13!
AveryCoast: Gerald?
[OOC] AveryCoast: and Garrett
Jeremy` lets off a [Biting Volley], after marking him as his Quarry.
Jeremy` rolled d20+21 and got 19 ( Total: 40 ) for vs ref
d20+17: 5 [Total: 22]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 62
AveryCoast: Hits!
[OOC] Jack: letting The J MAn fire first
[OOC] Jeremy: lol first is a crit so second hit may go to the minion
AveryCoast: …yes it does
AveryCoast: especially with that +12 damage from Damata
Jeremy` rolled 2d6+13+12+10+8 and got 4, 6 ( Total: 53.0 )
d10r2+12: 3 [Total: 15.0 (Low), Avg: 3.00]
Total: 68.0, Avg: 4.33
[OOC] Jack: h0nk
[OOC] AveryCoast: KO x2!
AveryCoast: Well, that was over pretty quickly
Jeremy: "So… the blacksmiths don’t really give a flying fuck, right, and we're done here?"
Jack‘ sheathes his knives, slicks back his hair, sort of rifles through Sly’s downed body.
ChefBatali looks at the shop guards. "You in or out?"
Hilda: "Damata."
Hilda: "Who's watching your family right now?"
AveryCoast: There's some muffled shouts of 'we're out! He's good with us!' from behind the door.
Jeremy: "Great."
Ananth: "They can gift wrap him however they like. I'm sure he's wanted for -something-."
ChefBatali: "Sounds good, open the door so we can fuck off out of your business."
Damata: "They're watching a show with some tigers in a large crowd."
AveryCoast: The door's deeper inside, you're free to go
Jeremy‘ heads on out of the cave.
ChefBatali likewise.
AveryCoast heads out, waiting until you get a fair distance away before stopping.
Jack` hustles out.
ChefBatali pulls the ancestral totem out and hands it back to Damata. "Don’t make us regret helping you keep these."
[OOC] AveryCoast: Whoops, -AveryCoast +Damata
Jack: "Will you be attending Ms. Yanette's party?"
Hilda hands hers back as well.
Damata: "I'm sorry I had to ask you-" His mouth twists in distaste. "I'm not exactly sure what Ms. Yanette has in store with her invite, but…I wasn't even really thinking about it."
Jack: "Ha ha, ah well." He also hands back the totem, with both hands.
Damata: "Unless you want me to come, I was planning to just drop in on my family, tell them my 'business deal' tonight is done."
ChefBatali: "Probably for the best. Keep them as far away from it as possible."
Jeremy: "Probably something else you don't want to bring the kids to, in either case."
Damata: "Alright. I take it you're planning to take a look?"
Jack‘ nods along.
Hilda: "When is that, in half an hour?"
ChefBatali: "Mm."
Ananth` hands his back, nods to Damata. "Stay out of trouble, okay? Your family’s more important than 'making a name for yourself in the business world'."
Jeremy: "She might get terribly upset and *actually* sic the guards on us all if no one shows, so… we'll bite the bullet for ya."
Damata: "Not until 10, so about an hour and a half?"
Damata: "Thank you again. If you ever need help in Ber, flag me down and I'll see what I can do."
Damata: "We'll be on the train until Sid Minos, so I should hopefully see you on the train tomorrow."
Hilda: "I could have illustrated the point if it was sooner. But either way. You wanna skip this one."
ChefBatali: "I'll make you a good breakfast tea to help with that bullet wound."
Damata looks a bit startled. "I..nearly forgot about that. Must have been the excitement. I should…have that looked at first. Thank you."
ChefBatali brought it up for a reason, yeah. >_>
AveryCoast: Alright. Anything you guys want to do before heading over to the arena for 10 PM?
AveryCoast: That includes Ersnt.
[OOC] AveryCoast: *Ernst
Jeremy‘ gunna get something to snack on. Still not sure what this plan events is, but is gunna want some energy regardless.
Jack` hits a pub for a greasy-ass burg and a pint!
ChefBatali changes clothes, more leather and armor and visible knives. No bastard sword though.
Hilda: Just out of curiosity, at 9:40, she casts Read Omens to see just how much of a bad idea this venture is.
AveryCoast: The arena’s open before 10 PM, but the main event seems to be starting at 10
Hilda: And it sees into the next half-hour.
AveryCoast: hmmm wait no it starts at 10, my mistake, ignore that
Ernst doesn't do much before the arena. A simple meal and he arrives more or less on time.
ChefBatali is keeping a wather eye out for that hobo ninja from before. He seemed interested in these two, he's probably around somewhere.
[OOC] ChefBatali: *weather eye
AveryCoast: Nalaam's coliseum has seating along only three walls, with the western quarter of its circumference open to grant a clear view of a majestic snowy mountain, which gleams in the full moon's light. Stadium seating rises over a hundred feet high, and the crowd is thick this evening. The luxury box suites sit partially-recessed at the lowest level, just forty feet above the arena floor on the eastern edge of the arena.
Hilda flips one hundred coins, serving as the focus for the ritual, and places them in a 10x10 grid in front of her. After a few moments of inspecting them, as far as she can tell, it's actually hard to glean any sort of meaning from 53 heads and 47 tails.
AveryCoast: Elanor and a few guests seem to be in the central suite, while the guards, checking your invitations, show you to the northern suite.
AveryCoast: Looking out from them, you can see Luc and Ottavia along with a couple of other people you vaguely recognize from the train in the southern suite.
AveryCoast: The suites have a rear section recessed into the coliseum structure and walled off for privacy, and a front balcony section with seats that overlook the event. These seats can be seen from the other suites, and only a 10-foot gap separates the balconies. Fine foods, wines, and other luxuries are provided, and elite guards protect each suite, which are accessed by a private hallway in the interior of the building.
Jeremy: "Someone's fancy."
ChefBatali takes a seat, flopping comfortably where he can keep one eye on the arena floor and another on the door to their luxury box.
Jack‘ nibbles on a wedge of cheese and has a seat.
Stocke rolled d20+15 and got 3 ( Total: 18.0 )
Hilda rolled d20+18 and got 1 ( Total: 19.0 )
AveryCoast: wow
AveryCoast: Okay +2 from Stocke is 21
[OOC] ChefBatali: nice
AveryCoast: In a city dominated by mages, the three people with Elanor are arguably the worst. They may not be mages, but their reputations have preceeded them even all the way to Risur.
AveryCoast: Nikola the Necromancer, a gaunt and bald human who stole his fortune by working as an assassin who killed only the wealthy. It is said that he purchases all the bodies of prostitutes who die in Nalaam, and that his private keep in the mountains outside the city is guarded by their zombies.
AveryCoast: Father Balthazar, the Clergy’s highest priest in Nalaam, who siphons much of the wealth from the church into his own mansion. None move against him because it is said he can actually summon demons to do his bidding.
AveryCoast: And Jaime the Weevil, a tiny man from Risur who forsook his druidic order and became obsessed with controlling animal pests, particularly bed bugs. He made his fortune both by controlling Nalaam’s pests and offering 'protection' to make sure they would not afflict people's homes and businesses.
[OOC] AveryCoast: -may not be mages + may not be lords
[OOC] AveryCoast: they're definitely mages
AveryCoast: At 10, Lord Kulp, Master of the Games, stands up, starting his pre-games spiel, when mirrord spotlighting from arcane braziers around the arena focus upon the central luxury suite's balcony.
AveryCoast: Elanor then instructs her 'companion' to stand and remove her veils.
AveryCoast: The traveller slowly reveals herself a statuesque eladrin woman, with shortcropped, ice-blonde hair and brilliant azure in her blank eyes. She wears a provocative, intimate outfit.
ChefBatali whistles.
Hilda: "Can we just not."
Jeremy: "Little late for that, Ms. Hilda."
ChefBatali: "That is less horrifying than I was expecting. On the outside at least."
The crowd cheers at the eye candy. Lord Kulp then cuts off the spotlights, annoyed, and he directs the audience's attention down to the imminent bloodsport.
Ananth‘ narrows his eyes, takes a slow, measured breath.
ChefBatali: "Someone you know, Anath?"
AveryCoast: From the suite beside you, Elanor crows to her bidders, "Gentlemen, this is the famous eladrin maiden, Isobel Travers, raised since birth to appease every desire a man might have! And as you have just witnessed, her value goes far beyond a toy for you virile men. She will make you famous in this city. Powerful men will gnash their teeth with jealousy. Beautiful women will beg for a chance to serve you as she does, I tell you with no bragging. This sort of grandeur is priceless, so I’m sure none of you will mind starting the bidding at, let’s say, five hundred thousand gold?"
Ananth: "…no. But it doesn't matter."
The wizards glance at each other, seeing who’ll move first, but Elanor wags a finger at them.
ChefBatali: "… Oh."
Elanor: "Not so fast, you old dogs. Bidding won't start for half an hour. I have one more show for you. And first, why not see how you feel with the merchandise? Balthazar, come down, sit, please. Get comfortable. I’m going to go make myself a drink."
Hilda looks back at Kalp. How's he taking this?
Ananth‘ grits his teeth.
AveryCoast: He doesn’t look thrilled, to say the least.
ChefBatali opens his mouth, looks at Anath, shuts it.
AveryCoast: During the first 10 minutes of the show, petty criminals attempt to dodge a half-dozen angry bulls for the crowd's amusement.
Ananth: "(Goddess, I want to burn this city and salt the earth.)" Sometimes, you say things just loud enough for only Zane to hear.
AveryCoast: By the way, feel free to grab seats in the suite.
ChefBatali then reluctantly admits, "I saw Elanor buying ingredients for mind-affecting potions our first night out. I didnt say anything because I figured she was using them on a monster, not on…" A small gesture.
Jack: "Bloodsports and a flesh market, huh…?" He walks up to a railing, balcony, whatever, and scans the crowd, gauging them.
Stocke seems to be sitting on the sofa doing… something or another with a quill. He doesn't seem interested in the arena in the slightest.
Hilda: "What does it say about me if I also saw that stall and didn't have a monster in mind?"
ChefBatali: "You're older and more cynical. And dont come froma culture where that sort of thing gets you beaten to death by my mother."
AveryCoast: The crowd seems to lap up the bloodsport. There's racous cheering as a bull manages to catch one of the criminals, spattering some more blood on the snow.
Ananth: "Potions. That's… that's better than alternatives I could imagine, I suppose." He says it with the sort of voice you'd use to talk about something ~marginally less bad~ than fulminant terminal illness, though, so.
Jeremy: "Wait was this really not an option ya'll were expecting?"
ChefBatali: "Nope. I figured whatever was under the veil was going to be down on the killing floor."
ChefBatali: "Like a bear at a diplomatic meeting."
AveryCoast: Afterward, a pack of starving wolves are sent in against a dire bear. People line up at the bookie booth between matches to bet on them.
AveryCoast: The dire bear wins handily.
Hilda: "Likewise. And yet, I don't know if I'm more or less disgusted at either scenario."
Jeremy: "Bears! Hah."
ChefBatali: "Oh I'm definitely going to kill her for this. Monsters are one thing. This is a whole different beast entirely."
AveryCoast: Next comes a dozen men, sent out to face the dire bear. Various weapons are scattered about the floor.
Jeremy: "Anyway uh. Yeah no this was definitely one of the three scenarios I was expecting, between obvious Eldarin under wraps and all the rich folk invited."
AveryCoast: You can recognize one of the men as 'Mister Mapple', the hobo who several of you have seen in the enclaves during the trip.
Jeremy: "Oh shit it's the crazy train hobo!"
AveryCoast: Their shackles are opened afar by magic, and the bear chases them down as they run to try and get to the scattered weapons.
Jack: "Should we put some money on him?"
Jeremy‘ leans forward in his seat, pointing and paying more attention now.
Jeremy: "Might be too late now, ahah."
ChefBatali: "Aha… No, I suspect things are going to go a little differently."
AveryCoast: Mister Mapple, as soon as he’s released, tries to climb up the wall of the arena, but mages around the edge of the wall knock him back with gusts of wind.
Ananth: "I'll be right there with you, Z- Mr. Batali."
Hilda: "Ananth. Your thoughts?"
Jeremy: "I think 'not dying' counts as winning at these things."
AveryCoast: Three men die, but Mister Mapple runs up and grabs a two-handed axe, managing to kill the bear by swinging it into its neck.
Jeremy‘ cups his hands around his mouth. "YEAH! GO CRAZY HOBO!"
AveryCoast: The crowd cheers.
AveryCoast: The spotlights turn again to Elanor’s booth, and she stands, holding out a handful of gold coins.
AveryCoast: Lord Kulp asks if she has a request, and she says she wants to know the name of the man who killed the bear.
AveryCoast: Mapple just curses at her in response, but then Elanor tells Isobel to stand, and Mapple realizes who she is.
Elanor: "This man was following me and my cute young friend these past three days. He's going to die tonight, but I want to know his name before I pay for his next fight.”
Ananth: "Involve the best way to kill Elanor and get away with it."
ChefBatali: "I'm working on it."
AveryCoast: Mapple responds, "I guessed what crimes you planned for her, that poor, that beautiful sweet maid. Ask my name? How ’bout I name you first? Bitch! No other word would let itself be worn by you. When I am free, no man, woman, or child will recall your name, but remember me they will. I, Bitch, am Andrei von Recklinghausen, and if I have to tear out your damned heart, I swear to free the woman next to you. Send me more beasts! I shall build a ramp and walk out of this pit!"
Jack: "(Stray bullet? Through the heart? And eyes? Say she fell in the back?)"
Jack: "Jeez, isn't that name familiar…"
Elanor, feeling safe just thirty feet above Mister Mapple, sweeps her handful of gold so the crowd can see. "A thousand gold pieces, Lord Kulp. My request?" She pauses, and the crowd shouts various monster names. "Bring out the pyrecat!"
Jeremy: "'Recklinghausen'? Maaaaan."
Ananth‘ stares.
Hilda: "Leap the balcony and join in?"
The crowd whoops with delight, and from deep in the bowels of the arena, a deep roar echoes through the stadium. Lord Kulp gestures, and workers scramble, and soon a giant gate opens on the far side of the arena floor. A single fiery eye flickers in the darkness. It roars again, and its mouth lights up with flame as the huge creature strides into view.
The pyrecat stands as tall as an elephant, with all the deadly grace of a tiger despite that it is missing one eye, and that one of its forelegs ends just above the paw, which has been replaced by a rune-inscribed hook almost as big as a man.
Jeremy: "Woah."
Jack: "Gods, titans, and the fey that giggle in the dark…" He grins. "How much do we want to stick in Elanor’s craw?"
Ananth‘ stands. "Is ’all of it' an option on the table?"
Jeremy: "I mean, morally… a lot? Job wise? We've kind of been sticking out a lot, I'm not super sure we want to volunteer ourselves for the arena at this point."
Jack: "We could also, y'know…"
ChefBatali is busily looking around the room.
Jack: "(Just go beat up Elanor and her crew…?)"
Hilda: "Toss him a rope and have him join us?"
The pyrecat starts stalking towards Andrei, as he hefts the greataxe again.
Stocke sighs before getting off of the sofa and making his way to the balcony proper.
ChefBatali: "Hm. OK. I guess I'm doing this the old-fashioned way. I'm going next door."
Jack: "Want some backup?"
ChefBatali: "Absolutely. There's a whole lot more of them than me."
Hilda runs to the edge of the balcony and waves over at Elanor. "Oy! How much would it cost to join in the fight down there?"
Hilda: "Never bagged one of those before!"
Elanor looks confused. "…what?"
Ananth: "Shubhkaamnayein, Andrei." He followed Hilda to the edge of the balcony, casual like.
ChefBatali looks at Jack amd mouths 'distraction' before slipping towards the door.
Lord Kulp looks up. "Nothing for you to join, if you wish to risk your life. The man's parole is set at twenty thousand, however."
Jeremy‘ rubs at his face.
Hilda: "Hm. I don’t seem to have that in liquid assets, exactly. But I do have some family treasures…"
AveryCoast: Battle Order: | 31:Andrei | 27:Zane | 25:Garrett | 25:Phyllis | 25:Jaime the Weevil | 24:Gerald | 16:Pyrecat | 13:Nikola | 11:Father Balthazar | 9:Chandrasekhar | 6:Elanor |
Hilda: "Please! I only knew the man by name before. What can I do?"
Hilda doesn't actually have any intention of negotiating, mind.
AveryCoast: Andrei charges the Pyrecat.
AveryCoast rolled d20+19 and got 10 ( Total: 29 )
Ananth‘ makes a show of rummaging through a coin purse. You know, for the infinite money he’s got stashed there. Distractions, right?
AveryCoast rolled 2d10+13 and got 3, 1 ( Total: 17.0 )
AveryCoast: Hitting for 17!
AveryCoast: Zane?
ChefBatali is going to have to sneak his way down the hallway. [Silent Stalker and Stealth]
ChefBatali rolled d20+16 and got 16 ( Total: 32 )
AveryCoast: They don't even notice as you slip past them.
AveryCoast: Garrett?
[OOC] ChefBatali: double move and continue to lurk, can't kill Elanor this round…
Jack‘ shadows him. [Stealth]
Jack` rolled 1d20+16 and got 2 ( Total: 18 )
AveryCoast: The guards stop you at the door.
Jack: "Oh, this isn’t my box…"
Jack‘ wobbles a bit.
AveryCoast: The guards glance at Lord Kulp, and he holds his finger to his lips, and waves inside.
AveryCoast: The guard whispers to you, "just be a bit quieter."
Jack` nods.
AveryCoast: Phyllis? "
Hilda shakes off the feeling that someone or something// might have said her real name.
AveryCoast: //I’ve been calling them all the time!

Hilda: You know. Of questionable diegetic-ness!
Hilda: Either way, you're not AURUM, so.
AveryCoast: I swear that quotation mark wasn't supposed to be there.
[OOC] Ananth: lol <3
Hilda pulls out her orb. "See, this right here - oh, hells, you're not supposed to remove the cloth around it - " Black smoke seeps out of it and surrounds the trio of mages. [Mirage Arcana]
Hilda rolled 3#d20+14(1) and got 5 ( Total: 19.0 ) for vs Will, creates Zone that's difficult terrain and grants CA while in it - attack does damage, dazes, can't move outside zone willingly, can't see outside zone (save ends all)
Also rolled 3#d20+14(2) and got 19 [Total: 33.0 (High), Avg: 19.00]
Also rolled 3#d20+14(3) and got 18 [Total: 32.0 (High), Avg: 18.00]
Total: 84.0, Avg: 14.00
Hilda rolled 2d6+11 and got 2, 4 ( Total: 17.0 )
AveryCoast: Misses Father Balthazar, hits the other 2 for [17!] each!
Jeremy: "…All of them, really?" A heavy sigh.
AveryCoast: Jaime the Weevil stands up with a lurch, looking around confused.
AveryCoast: Gerald?
Hilda: "Look, family treasures are very capricious things!"
AveryCoast rolled d20+0 and got 11 ( Total: 11 ) for save
Jeremy‘ squints. Looks like that missed the Priest. Well, we can make up for that I suppose. [Quarry] [Biting Volley, more coming probably].
Jeremy` rolled 2#d20+18(1) and got 2 ( Total: 20 ) for vs ref
Also rolled 2#d20+18(2) and got 3 [Total: 21]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 41
[OOC] Hilda: You can see in
[OOC] Hilda: The people with save ends effects just can’t see out
[OOC] Jeremy: I'm aware
[OOC] Hilda: oh ahaha
[OOC] ChefBatali: not based on those rolls he can't… www.instantrimshot.com
AveryCoast: Misses!
Jeremy‘ missed both shots, thanks sugar. [AP] [Two-Fanged Strike]
Jeremy` rolled 2#d20+21(1) and got 2 ( Total: 23 )
Also rolled 2#d20+21(2) and got 16 [Total: 37]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 60
AveryCoast: 1 hit!
Dicebot:// Dice Sides Error: Unable to parse 10r2 in d10r2+12
Jeremy` rolled d10r2+12 and got 8 ( Total: 20.0 )
[OOC] AveryCoast: 20!
AveryCoast: //Ernst?

Jeremy` rolled d8 and got 1 ( Total: 1 ) for right quarry
AveryCoast: sure you can’t see Nikola I'll take it for now
Stocke tosses a [Disposable Simulacrum] off the balcony edge. It hits the ground with a plunk and his robot appears. It moves forward before firing at the Pyrecat. [Magic Weapon]
Stocke rolled 2#d20+15(1) and got 6 ( Total: 21.0 )
Also rolled 2#d20+15(2) and got 7 [Total: 22.0 (Low), Avg: 7.00]
Total: 43.0, Avg: 6.50
AveryCoast: Misses.
[OOC] Stocke: Heroic I guess…
AveryCoast: 1 hit
Stocke rolled d8+8 and got 7 ( Total: 15.0 ) for -1 AC to enemy
[OOC] AveryCoast: 15!
Stocke moves over to sit back down.
AveryCoast: The pyrecat snarls, lunging at Andrei with the hook on its right foreleg. [Hook]
AveryCoast rolled d20+13 and got 8 ( Total: 21 )
AveryCoast: But misses!
AveryCoast: Nikola also staggers to his feet.
AveryCoast rolled d20+0 and got 13 ( Total: 13 )
AveryCoast: And then growls at Hilda. "…you!"
Hilda: "Sorry! It slipped."
AveryCoast: Father Balthazar stands, turning to face Hilda.
The old priest waves his hands as if directing musicians and hums a happy hymn, but the air around him turns red and you feel jagged claws snag your arms. [Direct the Choir of Angels]
AveryCoast rolled d20+18 and got 19 ( Total: 37 )
AveryCoast rolled 3d6+11 and got 1, 6, 2 ( Total: 20.0 )
AveryCoast: Save to avoid going over the balcony.
AveryCoast: (slide 3 and restrains (Escape DC 23) UEoNT)
Hilda rolled d20 and got 15 ( Total: 15 )
AveryCoast: Okay you're prone and restrained.
AveryCoast: Chandra?
[OOC] Hilda: Can I also roll to avoid prone? because warf
AveryCoast: ….technically I guess
Hilda rolled d20 and got 17 ( Total: 17 )
[OOC] ChefBatali: the best race strikes again
Hilda spits in his direction. Not that it goes much farther than 'just over the balcony.'
Ananth` is here, and then suddenly there-[Fey Step across to the other balcony-and then [Valorous Smite]s Nikola the Necromancer, and shields himself with [Virtue].

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License