Zg Session 29

Autumn 35th, 500 AOV
Mere days ago you learned the name of the conspiracy: the Obscurati.
They have kept their secrets well. Though twice their plots have endangered Flint, both were accidents—an earthquake released a flood of deadly magical fuel they were refining on Cauldron Hill, and an alien monster freed by their tinkering with ancient magic nearly pulled the RHC headquarters into an insane far realm. You don't know what their ultimate designs are, but what you've seen suggests they have access to many resources.
Your boss, Chief Inspector Stover Delft, asks you to meet him aboard your ship, far from any possible spies. The conspiracy seems overconfident in their ability to keep secrets, and they don’t know how much you’ve learned. But you have a time and place where you know this 'Obscurati' will be gathered: the 20th of Winter, in Vendricce. It's time to plan your next move.
Delft: "I apologize for not bringing pastries and coffee," Delft says. "This meeting needs to be as hush-hush as possible. I have the first tiny bits of a plan in my head, but it won't work if any spies get wind of this. Loose lips sink ships, and you, constables, are going overseas."
Zane: "Do you have any idea how easy it is to kill people on a train?"
Zane: "And then vanish the bodies?"
Zane: "Sweet mother, its Yule come early."
Delft: "Cauis's letter said he'd be travelling by train from Beaumont, at one end of the Avery Coast Railroad, to Vendricce, the other end." He frowns at Zane. "You're trying not to stand out."
Ernst glances at Zane. "… huh. I was kind of worried people close by would hear but I guess it won't be a problem."
Garrett: "Eventually you run out of bodies that heard things."
Chandrasekhar: "Mr. Delft, if you think Zane can't kill people with quiet efficiency while also laying low, you haven't been paying enough attention to his field reports."
Gerald: "That's a good aligory since we're *on* a ship."
Zane headtilts at Garrett.
Gerald: "(I get it!)"
Ernst rubs his forehead. "Not when I'm firing a shotgun. The entire train would be evacuated."
Zane: "God no, you people are like a bull in a china shop."
Garrett‘ shrugs. "That’s why you're not the assassin."
Delft sighs and continues. "Cauis would be leaving on the 11th of Winter, and would attend a meeting on the 20th in Vendricce. Sounded like he'd be meeting with someone else from this Obscurati group."
Delft: "You'll be taking the same train Caius would have, and look for people he might have been meeting along the way, or others headed to the same meeting."
Delft: "In Vendricce you should try to recover useful intelligence about the conspiracy, possibly take a prisoner for later interrogation, and then return to Risur."
Delft: "I'll admit it's complicated, but there's about 50 days to hammer out the details before you leave."
Delft: "There's three main things you'll have to handle before you leave, and a couple components to hte mission itself."
Ernst: "… fifty?" He sighs.
Zane: "Narrow window, but still doable."
Delft: "First, secrecy. You must tell as few people as possible what you'll be doing, because we don't know who might be a spy or who'll be under surveillance. Toward that end, you'll need a cover story, a red herring so that any spies won't get suspicious at the lack of activity."
Zane: "Time to crack down on Gale…"
Garrett‘ slowly expands his grin into a full on smile.
Chandrasekhar: "What are the odds on us using the Obscurati rings we’ve collected - other than Caius', since whomever he'd be meeting with would recognise him - and pose as Risuran members of the conspiracy?"
Delft: "Second, cover identities. This will be a difficult operation, requiring you to use false identities as you travel through multiple foreign nations. You'll need documents, appropriate attire, and ways to explain your uncanny martial prowess if anyone sees you get into a fight. Generally you'll be travelling first class, unless you prefer otherwise."
Garrett: "Dibs on not being Saxby."
Gerald: "Seems likely the easiest way to fuck your own cover if they ask something obvious you should know and haven't got a clue."
Phyllis looks Garrett over. "The resemblance is just so uncanny, though…"
Delft nods at Gerald's comment. "We're not sure if they would know who the ring code belongs to, if they were to ask."
Delft: "You could take the risk, but it's entirely up to you."
Zane: "Hmmm… This train has first class… presumably it has staff? Cleaners? Cooks? Maintenance?"
Delft: "Third, contingencies. The RHC does have agents laying low along the route that you will be taking, but it will be a challenge to coordinate them so they can be useful without drawing attention. Also, our nation has access to many resources, and the more preparation you do, the easier time you're likely to have on your mission."
Phyllis: "Say we managed to disguise ourselves well enough as one of those known members. Would it be an issue then?"
Garrett: "If you solve the problem, then…"
Delft: "Provided you can pull it off, maybe. You're not exactly a tiefling, however, nor Saxby's height. And Macbannin's dead."
Gerald: "Also don't really know shit about them other than they deal in weirdo mojo."
Phyllis: "Those first two shouldn't pose much of a problem. May I demonstrate?"
Delft: "As far as the staff…I don't think we could get all of you on the staff, and the staff would likely be busy during boarding and disembarkment. It'd be hard to keep tabs on any suspects while cleaning up the train."
Garrett: "I'll take one for the team and not be on the wait staff."
Zane: "Just me, I think. Nobody ever looks at their waiter twice, especially not when its a poor idiot half-orc that cant land a real job."
Delft: "We could probably sneak one or two low-level agents in to keep an eye on things and provide help if necessary, if you can get the resume done up and such."
Chandrasekhar shrugs. "I will play the part of myself. An itinerant, eccentric chanter of the Elegy. One of the rookies can be my erstwhile student, come to see the breadth of Lanjyr in his youth. It'll be fun!"
Gerald‘ glance over at Chandrasekhar, then Ernst.
Zane: "Thats Gerald, yeah."
Ernst gives Gerald and Chandra a flat stare.
Garrett: "Mm-hmm, Gerald."
Gerald: "I duno, I think Ernst would make a good, wacky, over the top Eladrin Priest!"
Zane: "I don’t think I have enough makeup."
Gerald: "(Which one is the Elegy again…?)"
Garrett: "And that's the punchline."
Chandrasekhar: "This *is* going to be fun."
Garrett: "Is the actual train trip nine days, or…?"
Delft: "It would be better if you were all travelling as a large group in first class, to make coordinating easier. Up to you if you want to split up on the train during arrangements, however."
Delft: "The train trip lasts 7 days, 6 nights."
Garrett: "Ahh… good."
Garrett: "Gives us some wiggle room after disembarking."
Zane leans back in his chair, resting against the wall. "I can probably come up with the right clothing for everyones cover stories. Forged documents will be harder, I don't have many contacts in that area. Garrett…?"
Delft: "Of course, once the planning is complete, there's still the actual mission. You'll board a ship and sail to Beaumont. That leads to the fourth component, spycraft. While on the train, you will need to identify people of interest without blowing your cover. I figure that you can safely contain your investigations to first- and second-class passengers, since it's doubtful anyone important would ride coach.
Delft: "Just remember that the big payoff is in Vendricce, so you should be careful not to move too soon and spook someone who might be or have a lead to more valuable information."
Phyllis: "Hmm. If we're to travel together, perchance we encountered each other on our travels, Chandra. I, a student of the Panoply, a student of the world, simply roaming about Lanjyr to expose myself to as much of it as possible."
Garrett‘ nods a few times. "I know a few extra-legal options…"
Zane: "My brother from another mother."
Zane: "And father."
Chandrasekhar: "You don’t travel from place to place as long as I have without making a few friends on embassies. Some of whom may or may not owe me favours."
Delft: "The final step is extraction. You should come up with several ways to get out of Vendricce when the mission is over. While I would prefer a quiet escape that ensures no one ever knows RHC agents were on the train…" He just trails off and stares at you for a bit. "You should plan ahead in case you're being pursued by an army or something."
Chandrasekhar chuckles. "Oh, Phyllis. Unable to resist getting into philosophical discussions with me even when we're strangers who don't know each other."
Phyllis: "Like a play within a play."
Gerald‘ scratches behind his head. "They make scrolls for long distance teleportation right…?"
Phyllis also nods between Garrett and Zane. "I lived much of my earlier life in Alais Primos, you realize. The capital. If you need some familiarity with the region, I may be of some assistance."
Garrett: "I’ll be interested in and out of character."
Phyllis: "And I have such a thing inscribed in my ritual tome, Gerald."
Phyllis: "Though if I'm not available, a scroll would be your best bet."
Gerald: "Okay you're plan B and Garrett asking your ghost is plan C." Finger guns.
Garrett: "Good thing those aren't loaded," he says, nodding to Gerald's finger guns.
Phyllis: "Ernst could spend a day or so reading over my tome to gain mastery of it for himself, I believe. Asking my ghost would be plan D."
Garrett: "(Also we could probably take at least -half- an army…)"
Gerald: "Also good."
Delft provides a an outline of the schedule and a few brochures from the Railroad.
[OOC] Aleith|DM: http://storagebin.wikidot.com/zg-case-notes
Garrett‘ looks them over.
Delft: "Any other questions before I let you get to work?"
Ernst: "Not in particular."
Zane: "Why are we bugging out before the meeting?"
Zane: "We’re already going to be in the area."
Delft: "Depends on what you can get. If you can stay, feel free. We'll expect you a few days later."
Garrett: "I figured crashing the meeting was our goal?"
Gerald: "Recon not raid, sounded like, but I mean."
Garrett: "Plan for the first, prepare for the second."
Zane: "Recon is what I was anticipating, yeah."
Garrett: "I mean… I'm not expecting all of us to run out of there with two prisoners on our shoulders each,"
Delft: "It's not like we're expecting you back by the 24th."
Garrett: "Just that I wouldn't expect us to find out meeting details and then -not- show up somehow."
Zane shrugs. "We'll make the call on-site, then."
Delft: "Just a note that the trip back will take about 8 days after you leave."
Garrett‘ nods.
Phyllis: "Depends on if things go south."
Garrett: "Of course… we get wind of something going to happen in Risur on a strict timeframe…"
Garrett: "Then we adjust, yeah."
Delft: "Ms. Lenz also has access to sending, so feel free to keep us in the know when you get into Vendricce."
Zane nods.
Garrett: "Hmm… I figure that’s about good for now?"
Zane: "Nothing else springs to mind."
Delft nods and starts packing his things up. "I'll leave you too it, then."
Garrett‘ gives a salute.
Aleith|DM: Alright. There are several different things you can work on each week in the seven weeks you have to plan with, and three main goals: Secrecy, Covers, and Contingencies.
Aleith|DM: Who’s doing what during the first week?
Zane: (We should start with Locate Spies, to make the DCs on other stuff easier)
Zane: (I can +9 Perception that, unless someone else wants to hit it up?)
Zane: (Insight, Perception, or Streetwise)
[OOC] Garrett: I've got +13 streetwise, chandra's what, +15/16 insight
[OOC] Phyllis: You all have +1 to Insight from that pool from a thing I picked up, so.
[OOC] Phyllis: aha he counted it in I think
[OOC] Phyllis: or is that his background benefit? nvm
Zane: (In a perfect world someone else hits that up so I can push the Stealth portion haha)
[OOC] Ernst: I have +11 perception
[OOC] Gerald: I could do it, I got +13 perception and nothing else to use other than stealth anyway, so
Zane: (Hit it, Ice)
[OOC] Phyllis: I could also do it, Emerald Eye can give me a +5 on an Insight roll making it 16
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: I'm 16 insight with phyllios thing
[OOC] Zane: oh well shit, you get on that then lol
Gerald‘ isn’t really sure where to start all this sorts of stuff, so while everyone else is dealing with paper work and people of interest, he'll just go scout out around the city a bit, seeing if he can turn up any other Obscuriti members in the process. [Locate Spies]
Gerald‘ rolled d20+13 and got 4 ( Total: 17 )
Aleith|DM: Noboody jumps out at you during the week.
[OOC] Zane: sugar plz. we need to be competent right now ;_;
Zane starts moving supplies through his smuggler contacts. Dead drops, fake deliveries, you name it. [Stealth]
Gerald` makes sure to make daily reports as to his lack of progress. Maybe they’re in the clear! :D?
Zane rolled d20+16 and got 4 ( Total: 20 )
Aleith|DM: Chandra, Ernst, Phyllis, Garrett?
[OOC] Garrett: chandra phyllis one of y'all want to give the insight a go?
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: Sure
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: What am I -doing- IC exactly with this again though
[OOC] Garrett: basically counterintelligence
[OOC] Garrett: figuring out who's watching us closely
[OOC] Zane: figuring out who is spying on us while we do stuff
Chandrasekhar watches the watchmen - while the others try to uncover Ob actions within Risur, to limited success, Chandrasekhar tries to make sure they're not tracked themselves- and capitalises on it, if they are. [Insight]
Chandrasekhar rolled d20+16 and got 15 ( Total: 31 )
Aleith|DM: You manage to locate a few different possibilities-one of the secretaries seems to be passing info onto a local reporter; a docker seems to be hanging around your ship more often than others; there seems to a cop keeping tabs on your exploits; and a few guild thieves seem to be keeping watch on your homes, occasionally tailing you.
Phyllis makes sure they can hide their own trail. Paperwork involving fake cases. There's a high-profile case involving arson and those two dragonborn brothers, you see, that's totally what these not-at-all magically obfuscated stacks of paperwork say. [This is a little off but fits in theme, so … Using some combination of Secret Page, Amanuensis, and Glib Tongue with Arcana in lieu of
Phyllis Diplomacy?]
Chandrasekhar dutifully makes sure the Proper Authorities are aware. (The proper authorities might be Mr. Bietto.)
Garrett‘ adds some red tape. He sprinkles on some details of old, yet strangely not closed cases. A bunch of unfinished work came up, ugh, all this backlog. Drone, drone, drone…an RHC officer has so much to do… [Stealth]
Garrett` rolled 1d20+16 and got 2 ( Total: 18 )
[OOC] Garrett: fucking, lol
Aleith|DM: So much to do…….
Phyllis rolled d20+18 and got 16 ( Total: 34.0 ) for I Meant Suggestion, Not Glib Tongue
Aleith|DM: Well, paperwork is kind of your element… [1 Success]
Aleith|DM: Ernst?
Ernst leaves a fake paper trail since it’s the only thing he has even remotely a decent mod for.
Ernst rolled d20+10 and got 3 ( Total: 13.0 )
Aleith|DM: Okay. Week 2. 1 success for Secrecy so far, and all DCs for Goal One are now DC 19.
Zane continues shuffling supplies, now that he knows who to be looking out for. [Stealth]
Zane rolled d20+16 and got 8 ( Total: 24 )
Aleith|DM: Much easier that way.
Gerald‘ didn’t find anything the first week but Chandra did. So he shifts focus. Sightseeing locations to talk up during the trip! LETS RESEARCH! For Cover identities! [Dungeoneering]
Gerald‘ rolled d20+13 and got 1 ( Total: 14 )
Aleith|DM: You mostly turned up stuff on this continent, sadly.
Garrett` tries to just drop off the radar a bit. [Stealth]
Garrett` rolled 1d20+16 and got 6 ( Total: 22 )
Chandrasekhar calls in a few of those favours he mentioned. There’s definitely no blackmail involved in any of this, just standard diplomatic procedure! [Diplomacy - Gathering Documents]
Chandrasekhar rolled d20+15 and got 6 ( Total: 21 )
Aleith|DM: It's taking you longer than you expected.
Phyllis grabs Gerald and Chandra and puts them together in a room to rehearse their cover. She's wearing a much more … ostentatious outfit than usual, one that you'd expect a noble to wear to balcony seats in the theater. "You're not leaving this room until we can hold a full conversation with each other without referring to each other as Gerald, Phyllis, or any variant of Chandra's name.
Phyllis Got it? " [Insight]
Phyllis rolled d20+11 and got 13 ( Total: 24.0 ) for for goal 2
Chandrasekhar: "OK, Phyllis."
Chandrasekhar: "Wait, shit."
Gerald: "All I'm saying is, maybe weed the backstory down a bit…? A hundred pages is a bit much."
Aleith|DM: Well, you're working on it, but at there's progress.
Aleith|DM: at least*
Phyllis: "Okay. Ninety-eight pages?"
Chandrasekhar: "It goes by a lot faster when you're singing it properly, to be fair."
Aleith|DM: Ernst?
Ernst just works towards goal 3. It's the only thing he's actually good at so he makes sure none of the cover stories go against the areas history.
Ernst rolled d20+15 and got 15 ( Total: 30.0 )
[OOC] Phyllis: Finishing Touches?
Aleith|DM: That's actually part of Goal 2, but sure.
[OOC] Ernst: Oh. Sure.
[OOC] Ernst: Finishing touches yeah
Aleith|DM: Week 3. Goal 1 has 3 successes so far, Goal 2 has 2.
Zane gets supplies socked away and starts gathering Important Dress-up Supplies. (Look The Part [Bluff, +5 from Flawless Disguise])
Zane rolled d20+17 and got 2 ( Total: 19 )
[OOC] Zane: *throws hands in the air, walks off*
Aleith|DM: I'm just going to give that too you since that ability's perfect for it.
[OOC] Zane: thank you.
Garrett‘ steers clear of the official immigration offices and starts fishing around for some fake papers. [Goal 2, Thievery]
Garrett` rolled 1d20+14 and got 19 ( Total: 33 )
Aleith|DM: Rounded some up for use.
Chandrasekhar shows the others how it’s done. He learned how to make a paper trail from Phyllis, and then spiced it up with fey ingenuity. He'll lead the Obscurati into a moonlit labyrinth from which they'll never escape! Mwahaha! …metaphorically, at any rate. [Diplomacy: Ultimate Luna Bureaucrat!]
Chandrasekhar rolled d20+15 and got 8 ( Total: 23 )
Aleith|DM: For Goal 1 then? You've certainly had some practice.
[OOC] Garrett: *garrett has a moment where he goes '…did we get new marching orders…?'
Aleith|DM: Ernst, Gerald, Phyllis?
Gerald‘ once more into the brimey depths of travel catelogues. [Dungeoneering]
Gerald` rolled d20+13 and got 6 ( Total: 19 )
Aleith|DM: I’m not sure the Crypta Hereticarum counts as a sightseeing spot….
[OOC] Phyllis: SURE IT DOES :D :D :D
Phyllis: "Do you think you should know more about the Clergy, given that we're going to the country that faith was started in? You could wear a fishhook around your neck, the symbol for Triegenes, which symbolizes how even gods like him have humble beginnings. Just be ready for someone to call you out on it if you don't know." [Finishing Touches: History]
Phyllis rolled d20+14 and got 3 ( Total: 17.0 )
Phyllis: "Though I guess … that's a gross oversimplification of the nuances involved. Hm."
Aleith|DM: Pretty much.
Gerald: "Prepare not sound like I don't know what I'm talking about… gotcha."
Chandrasekhar: "Alternatively, you could use Clergy scripture for toilet paper. At least it'd have a purpose, then~."
Ernst rifles through some job postings and applies with the new Service Automaton. He's going to rent it out for a free trial test so it can walk around with a bunch of drinks and snacks. [Dungeoneering?]
Ernst rolled d20+12 and got 15 ( Total: 27.0 )
Phyllis: "It has some inklings of good in it. But their colonialism and their use of military might to spread their faith in practice, their use of fear to convert believers, their…" She keeps going on like this. Given her true feelings about the Clergy's actions, this might not have been the best plan.
Aleith|DM: Doesn't sound like they're sold on the idea yet, Ernst.
Aleith|DM: Week 4. Secrecy 4, Covers 4.
Zane gets back to smuggling stuff around under the radar. (Act in Secret [Stealth])
Zane rolled d20+16 and got 20 ( Total: 36 )
Aleith|DM: You have it down to a science.
Phyllis: A martial science, if you will.
On the contrary, 'irascible devil's-advocate philosophers' is a pretty natural fit for both of them. If nothing else, time will fly while they're having fun.
Phyllis: True, and the Panoply is kind of Ber's counter-movement to the Clergy's influence on the country…
Zane: Ber Superiority.
Gerald‘ gives up on the whole ’research' thing, which is QUITE OBVIOUSLY NOT HAPPENING, and changes gears; he's going to run around the city doing all the busy work for everyone else, while staying out of notice. [Act In Secret " Stealth]
Gerald‘ rolled d20+14 and got 9 ( Total: 23 )
Aleith|DM: And you’re good enough at that, it seems.
Phyllis goes on that tack, instead, picking up where Gerald left off, looking more into the history between Ber and Crisillyr. [Goal 2: History]
Phyllis rolled d20+14 and got 16 ( Total: 30.0 )
Chandrasekhar goes back to working on getting some of that paperwork squared away, now that Saxby's Vengeful Ghost is satiated by giant stacks of fake paperwork. Fake paperwork, real paperwork, it's always one or the other, right? [Goal 2: Documents, Diplomacy]
Chandrasekhar rolled d20+15 and got 18 ( Total: 33 )
Aleith|DM: Both of you work towards actually getting your covers into place.
Garrett‘ stays after-hours at a few pubs, friends some cooks, checks employment offers, posted and non-, with the Avery Coast Railroad. With enough lead time, we should be able to get someone in… [Eyes on the Train] [Streetwise]
Garrett` rolled 1d20+13 and got 4 ( Total: 17 )
Aleith|DM: The resume doesn’t quite cut it.
Chandrasekhar shows up with free "" "legal documents" "" for his friends next time they have a study group. Yay!
Ernst works on some more paperwork in the meantime. [Busy Work, Leave Fake Paper Trail. (Thievery)]
Aleith|DM rolled d20+9 and got 7 ( Total: 16 )
Aleith|DM: Week 5 starting. Secrecy 6, Covers 6.
Zane offers Phyllis a few points she might have missed in the Panoply/Clergy dispute. Mostly from a ground-level war perspective. (Finishing Touches [History])
Zane rolled d20+10 and got 4 ( Total: 14 )
Gerald‘ getting in another stealth check before they run dry! He’s very good at looking bored while riding a coach form one end of the city to the other, now.
Gerald‘ rolled d20+13 and got 4 ( Total: 17 )
Garrett` adjusts the resume. Adds a few grease spots…? [Eyes on the Train] [Streetwise]
Garrett` rolled 1d20+13 and got 20 ( Total: 33 )
Aleith|DM: Looks like Zane has a job onboard. With credentials like that, he’s honestly got his choice between the First-Class Lounge, or the Common Food Car. [Counts as one success towards Goal Two]
Aleith|DM: Chandrasekhar, Ernst, Phyllis?
Phyllis provides some more counterpoints to Zane, taking his comments and expounding on them in more detail. She was just getting to that, you see! Yes, and - [History]
Phyllis rolled d20+14 and got 12 ( Total: 26.0 )
Aleith|DM: Alright. That's your last success for Finishing Touches.
Zane hadn't thought of that, yeah. The magic stuff is not reallly his forte.
Chandrasekhar switches positions abruptly - did he know so much about the Panoply all along? Or is he just making this all up on the spur of the moment to grill Phyllis? It's Ber, nobody knows. [Insight - Rehearse Personalities]
Chandrasekhar rolled d20+16 and got 7 ( Total: 23 )
Aleith|DM: You play it off well and get a good discussion going on it.
Phyllis: The ebb and flow of truth and belief. So it goes!
Ernst continues working away at that paperword. Fake or not. [Thievery]
Aleith|DM rolled d20+9 and got 7 ( Total: 16 )
Aleith|DM: Week 6 of 7. Secrecy still at 6, Covers at 9.
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: do we need any more contingencies
Aleith|DM: You don't have any contingencies other than having Zane hired as a chef in place.
Aleith|DM: I meant that to be a one word italics
Zane: to be fair that's a pretty good contingency…
Gerald‘ works on getting another Sealth check in for Secrecy!!!
Gerald` rolled d20+13 and got 16 ( Total: 29 )
Aleith|DM: Aaaaaand that’s your last one. There's not really anything more you can do to setup your secrecy system to work against the spies. [Act in Secret caps at 5 successes]
Garrett‘ sends some word down the rivers of Pine Island, spends a weekend attending a docker’s play, starring his old friend Oxnard. After some drinks, the afterparty, he asks of friends overseas, in Vendricce. [Goal 3, Docks and Ports] [Streetwise]
Aleith|DM: No Roll Required. What City?
Aleith|DM: Oh, Vendricce.
Aleith|DM: It's basically enough to spend the week working on it.
Aleith|DM: Chandrasekhar, Ernst, Phyllis, Zane?
Phyllis sees if she can't get a lower ranking RHC officer to help speed up Zane's work so he can devote time to actually doing stealthy kinds of things instead of actual work. [Friendly Passengers] (( Is that city specific, or just someone on the train the whole trip? ))
Aleith|DM: Basically someone with Allied Officer stats during the whole trip.
Zane shoots for a few missing pieces on peoples disguises. (Look the Part [Bluff])
Zane rolled d20+12 and got 5 ( Total: 17 )
Aleith|DM: You don't quite manage to find pieces to go with the outfits to your satisfaction.
Ernst continues working away at that paperword. Fake or not. [Thievery]
Aleith|DM rolled d20+9 and got 9 ( Total: 18 )
Aleith|DM: Chandrasekhar?
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: blfrgurug what do we still need
[OOC] Phyllis: secrecy, goal 1 I think
Aleith|DM: Diplomacy up some paperwork
Chandrasekhar keeps working on some paperwork! Just in case one form of fake ID isn't enough!
Chandrasekhar rolled d20+15 and got 13 ( Total: 28 )
Phyllis addresses their newfound cohort. "When it's go time, I'll be wearing a lotus flower on my person."
Aleith|DM: I feel bad about Ernst's rolls, so I'm stealing that 15 for one of the Paperwork rolls.
Aleith|DM: The officer tips his hat to you in acknowledgement. He'll just be in a generic travelling businessman's outfit.
Aleith|DM: Week 7. Secrecy 9, Covers 9. Got a couple contingencies in place. You feel like you're in a pretty good spot for both of those goals, but there's something missing from your plans, and the niggling worry about the Obscurati finding out is still there.
Zane is still not satisfied with the outfits. (Look the Part [Bluff])
Zane rolled d20+12 and got 5 ( Total: 17 )
Chandrasekhar goes back to the paper trail. If he can make the Obscurati think they're actually going off en masse into this ludicrously complex and entirely fictitious Situation enfolding in Ber - if he can get a few old friends to play along… [Diplomacy: Fake Paper Trail, Finishing Move: Ludicrous Espionage Clusterfuck]
Chandrasekhar rolled d20+15 and got 3 ( Total: 18 )
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: Aww.
Gerald‘ spends a bit of time practising his "Son of a factory owner sent overseas with a weird fey to both get him out of his hair for a while and also to get him some World Experience" persona. [Rehearse: Insight]] [I Got Nothin’ Better Really]
Gerald‘ rolled d20+8 and got 14 ( Total: 22 )
Garrett` ’s advice, stick with black. [Goal 2, Look the Part]
Garrett‘ rolled 1d20+13 and got 15 ( Total: 28 )
Aleith|DM: Alright. You’re certain your covers are solid now. [Complete Success]
Aleith|DM: Phyllis? Ernst?
Ernst goes and makes some… friends. God who even put him up to this shit.
Phyllis: Characteristic of her many newspaper-clippings-tied-with-string and conspiracy theories and paranoia-fueled rants, Phyllis now has even more stacks of paperwork in her office connected the Dragonborn brothers' ties to the arson on the Miller Memorial Library in the Flint Tribune. The ties to Family back-channels to throw off suspicion on the real masterminds, the smuggled Wands of Fireball,
Phyllis: the motive - some party wants to keep Miller's texts outside of the Clergy's control if at possible. All the setup, all the covers - if some wayward spy hits this jackpot of Totally Legitimate Information, they'll see the RHC's plans to travel to the Crypta Hereticarum on a secret mission to apprehend the responsible party and prevent this from turning into an international incident.
[OOC] Phyllis: Luna Nightmare Diplomacy Arcnana
Phyllis rolled d20+18 and got 18 ( Total: 36.0 )
Aleith|DM: That's. Certainly. Something.
Phyllis: Airtight, that's what it is.
Aleith|DM: Alright. Delft was in touch during this sporadically to check into the Miller Memorial case *wink, wink* and let's you know that since the Obscurati might know about your little steam cutter from contacts here, like that docker watching you, or from Finona back over off the coast in Ber, you've been assigned the Roscommon for the forseeable future for your trip. It's been fully crewed, including with a temporary captain while you're on the train.
Gerald‘ looks deeply unimpressed when this information is relayed.
Aleith|DM: The morning of the 85th sees you departing from Flint, under sail, a few of you not taking the same route as the others to the ship, prepared by the stealthier ones in the group.
Aleith|DM: The ship travels along a well-trafficked merchant route and has little in the way of problems.
Garrett` helps the crew here and there, makes friends. Doesn’t bother him that you can hear a faint rustle of leaves way out in open sea.
Aleith|DM: You arrive in Beaumont a bit ahead of schedule, early on the 1st of Winter. A customs agent and his security staff briefly checks your documents, then welcomes you to Danor.
Zane is not the worlds greatest sailor, mostly stays out of peoples way and sharpens his new 'chef knives'. Its good to have a blacksmith contact.
Aleith|DM: There's a week and a half before your train is scheduled to depart. There's various things you can do to fill the time: visiting the local military academy Lamar University, attending an opera, or taking in a burlesque show. The city is smaller than Flint, with a thicker stench of industry hanging in the air, but it's full of people like any other. Most dislike Risuri, but they're hardly a faceless enemy nation.
Aleith|DM: Very little magic works in Danor, and so the city lacks any of the tiny magical flourishes found in every civilized part of Risur. But perhaps the biggest shift is the climate. Just a couple hundred miles north of Flint, Beaumont has no shelter against frigid arctic winds blowing south. While it hasn't begun to snow yet, the temperature drops near freezing at night, weather unheard of in Flint.
Ernst is all for attending operas. Alone.
Chandrasekhar absolutely goes to the Opera. Drags Gerald along, too, even if he has to explain everything that's going on.
[OOC] Phyllis: "Uh. Why's everyone singing..?"
Gerald‘ has luckily had WEEKS of practise being utterly bored out of his mind. He’s a pro at it. Keeps complaining about not going to the burlesque instead.
Zane is a goddamn cook. he practically lives at the eburlesque bar. God bless cover identities.
Aleith|DM: You get called in a few days early for your orientation, Zane.
Phyllis just spends her time in the colder air, taking it in. If the world will end in ice, is this atmosphere an early omen for it?
Garrett‘ masks his accent while abroad, but wastes little time in getting to know the locals. He’s a travelling consultant, good with gadgets, there was this Technology expo, hey what do you have there, that's neat…
Zane shows up in a well-worn but still damn clean white jacket with black piping, black pants, comfortable shoes, and a leather belt absolutely covered in cutlery and spice holders. Thank you, hat of hats.
Aleith|DM: Your guide for the orientation is Kov Marik. He usually works the First Class Lounge for Train #4 but with your temporary application he's been able to move his vacation up. He wishes you well.
Zane: "Glad to help. Enjoy your vacation, hombre."
Phyllis: If anyone actually asks her what she's doing, she'll go into some shpiel about how the different nations see the stars. The Clergy's dogma regarding planes, the druidic Starseers in Risur regarding prophecy, Danor's rigidly scientific view, and so on.
Aleith|DM: The train has 19 cars. The first one is the locomotive, with the second car carrying the fuel. It starts off as coal during the Danor leg, but switches to firegems once they arrive in Trekhom.
Aleith|DM: Cars 3-9 are the freight cars. 10-12 seat the common passengers, enough for 36 per car. Some portions often have people standing as well. Car 13 is the Common Food car, catering to both common- and second-class customers. Cars 14-16 are for second-class, with five rooms per car and six seats per room.
Aleith|DM: First Class, which is what you'll be concerned with, takes up Cars 17 and 18, with two more luxurious rooms in each of the cars. Each room has comfy seats and couches, as well as beds, for up to 5 people each. The First Class Lounge is in the last car on the train, #19.
Aleith|DM: Eventually, the morning of Winter 11th rolls around…

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License