Zg Session 25

Aleith|DM: It's late afternoon, a half-mile off the coast of Ber. Your boat, the Dagger, and the La Inspiración are on one side of some choppy water, which the next Ziggurat is beneath, and on the other side sails the Il Draçon de Mer.
Aleith|DM: After 10 minutes of preparation and casting, Ernst finishes casting a Water Breathing ritual on the six of you, which should last a few (4) hours.
Zane leaves most of his gear behind. Just his garotte and a couple daggers. This is a quiet job.
Garrett‘ ’s just got his leathers and daggers. Perfect.
Aleith|DM: Alright, Stealth checks as you go over the side of the ship, on the side hidden by the smokestack.
Garrett‘ rolled 1d20+14 and got 19 ( Total: 33 ) **
Zane rolled d20+14 and got 8 ( Total: 22 )
Aleith|DM: Activity on the Il Draçon de Mer doesn’t appear to have changed.
Aleith|DM: Are you taking the long way around the water, or going through the water above the ziggurat?
[OOC] Zane: definitely the long way around, going right through the middle of their activity seems like a bad idea)
[OOC] Garrett: long way
Aleith|DM: Alright. Atheltics checks for the long swim.
Garrett‘ rolled 1d20+15 and got 14 ( Total: 29 ) for +4 for aiding, [Wall Crawlers] with another [Wall Crawler] automatically aids
Zane rolled d20+14 and got 18 ( Total: 32 ) for the same
[OOC] Garrett: and WC changes the aiding bonus from 2 to 4
Aleith|DM: Alright, you’re good. Takes you some extra time, but you don't wear yourself out, nor run into any problems on the way.
Aleith|DM: Another stealth check as you try to avoid the lookouts on the ship.
Zane rolled d20+14 and got 16 ( Total: 30 )
Garrett‘ rolled 1d20+14 and got 4 ( Total: 18 )
Aleith|DM: They don’t spot you.
Zane: "Beautiful. Now a slow-burn fuse into a powder barrel and we're out of here."
Aleith|DM: There's some portholes near the bow that seem to lead to the magazine.
Garrett‘ nods as he moves, opening up a few sealed-tight compartments, getting out the flint, tinder… alchemist fire…
Aleith|DM: Alright. Thievery check?
Garrett` rolled 1d20+12 and got 16 ( Total: 28 )
Aleith|DM: Alright. You should have plenty of time to swim away before it blows so that you aren’t pulled down under when it goes.
Garrett: "(We're done. Enough time to take a seat upon deck and watch it go.)"
Zane: "(You are a rare pleasure to work with, as always.)"
Phyllis glances back at the others. "Someone else want to do the talking?"
Aleith|DM: Alright. Meeting up with the others back on your ship?
Zane heads back to the boat with Garrett and slithers back up on deck. "Alright, that's done and done."
Aleith|DM: The front of the Il Draçon de Mer explodes in a burst of flame. The crew scrambles, but it starts sinking almost immediately with that large hole at the waterline. Only about half of them make it to the rowboats before it's sunk, a few more pulled into the boats afterwards.
Zane looks at the captain of La Inspiracion. "Wonder how many of them make it to land…"
Phyllis: "Alright, so the seal's either in the wreckage or still down below in the temple."
Aleith|DM: One of the crew of the Beran ship calls over the side, "do you want us to pick 'em up and drop 'em off at the coast?"
Zane: "I'm sure they would just love that."
Garrett: "Given time, the wreckage will be down -with- the temple too."
Garrett: "So two birds, one stone…?"
Aleith|DM: The crewman salutes, and their ship starts heading over towards the rowboats and floating wreckage.
Zane: "Exactly."
Phyllis nods. "Yeah, our intent was to just disable their ship, not wipe them out."
Teakwood frowns. It can't be helped. "Save whom you can."
Zane: "Yeah, I'd have done both magazines if I wanted them dead."
Zane straps his kit back on. "Alright, now that the hard parts done lets all get wet."
Phyllis: "How's Xambria holding up? Has she come to?"
Aleith|DM: Diving from here, or moving your ship out over the site first?
Gerald: "I was really hoping we could do this without the diving part."
Aleith|DM: Captain Glassmaker speaks up from the Dagger. "The lass' still knocked out. What d'you want done with our client?"
[OOC] Zane: from here I think, just in case the ocean gets a little crazy once we get to temple shenanigans
Garrett: "Irons, the brig."
Garrett: "Not that she's particularly in trouble, but who knows with previous-host bodies?"
Glassmaker: "Well, if you've got the irons, we can lock her up in the hold."
Zane tosses him a pair of cuffs. "Better safe than sorry. We'll apologize to her when we get back."
Aleith|DM: He salutes. "We'll get her setup below."
Aleith|DM: Alright, so you can go over the side of your boat any time you want, the water breathing will last for a few hours still.
Aleith|DM: You guys can walk along the sea floor at half speed, or swim with Athletics DC 10 at half speed (not much difference unless you want to start moving on the z axis).
Aleith|DM: Attacks with the fire keyword take a –2 penalty to hit, as do weapon attacks using weapons that are not spears, guns, or crossbows. Creatures with the aquatic trait get a +2 bonus to attack rolls against creatures in the water who lack this ability.
Garrett‘ casually flips back over the railing into the sea below.
Gerald` walkin’ along because it's easier.
Zane also walking, cursing his lack of foresight.
Chandrasekhar can't deep-sea dive in heavy armour. Or shallow-sea dive. Or anything, really.
[OOC] Garrett: sinking counts as being really good at swimming straight down!!
Phyllis sinks like the dwarven stone she is before walking along.
Aleith|DM: The sunken Il Draçon de Mer is a fair bit aways still, but as you approach the site-there's a lit beacon at the site, it seems-you see some sunken wrecks around an excavated site.
Garrett‘ stops showing off by swimming circles around people, then.
Aleith|DM: There appears to be several lanterns lighting up some of the dig, and as you approach you can see a crane situated sitting on the cliff above a golden seal.
Gerald: "Guess this happens a lot…?"
Aleith|DM: Stealth checks
Aleith|DM: Unless you’re approaching openly, of course.
Garrett: "Big money in excavating wrecks. (I guess.) This just happens to be a temple."
Phyllis rolled d20+3 and got 3 ( Total: 6.0 ) for might as well
Aleith|DM: Okay, we're good. They see you about a minute before you get close enough, and are clearly waiting.
Aleith|DM: They have their weapons ready, but look like they're ready to talk, at least at first.
Gerald‘ glances between Phyllis and Chandrasekhar and the water all around them… shrugs and waves at the crew.
Aleith|DM: There’s a tiefling, a couple of dwarves in heavy gear, and a couple of human mages.
[OOC] Phyllis: Female tiefling?
Aleith|DM: Female, yep.
Phyllis glances at the others. "Unseasonal weather down here, isn't it?"
Aleith|DM: The tiefling motions for you to move closer, into the lantern's light…? Seems like there's bubbles of air nearby the lanterns.
Zane: "The rainy season has just been ridiculous, yes."
Aleith|DM: Doesn't look like she can hear you very well inside it.
Gerald‘ ambled on over, all friendly like.
Garrett` goes ahead and swims on over.
[OOC] Phyllis: Insight to sense motive?
Aleith|DM: Sure
Phyllis rolled d20+10 and got 1 ( Total: 11.0 )
Chandrasekhar heads along with the others, for the moment.
Aleith|DM: Seems like she wants to start by talking.
Phyllis follows along as well, sensing nothing amiss.
Aleith|DM: As you get near the lantern, you walk into open, breathable air. Seems like they do, in fact, push the water away. Might be the diving bells Xambria mentioned…?
Tiefling: "I’m going to start by assuming that big explosion was your work."
Zane: "You could assume that."
Gerald: "I tried warning you guys about the apet demon mind stealing thing that's after the seals!"
Phyllis also tries to keep an eye out for that haze she saw earlier with Huner's Blessing. "Speaking of, it did go down."
Tiefling: "Wasn't us on the ship at the time."
Chandrasekhar glances meaningfully at Phyllis.
[OOC] Phyllis: Hunter's*
Gerald: "General you guys."
Aleith|DM: Perception check, Phyllis?
Zane shrugs. "We advised the ship to pull up divers and let us hunt, but they chose not to. Sorry you didnt get the word."
Phyllis rolled d20+5 and got 5 ( Total: 10.0 ) for can i tag-team someone else with a better perception and have them look instead :(
Tiefling: "We saw some of those beasts already, we can take care of them."
Aleith|DM: Not really, no, this ritual's only for you.
Phyllis: "This one isn't a beast. It's intelligent."
Tiefling: "Doesn't matter. Think at it hard enough and it's easy to hit."
Zane: "If you can see it in the first place."
Gerald: "I mean, it WAS controlling some human for over a month and killed one of the people funding your opperation so…" Gerald shrugs.
Phyllis: "Tried that. Guess we didn't do so 'hard enough.'"
Aleith|DM: She frowns. "That's right, you mentioned it killed Caius…?"
Phyllis: "Aaaaalso, this one knows to go right for the brains."
Garrett: "Also wanted for seaveral murders, right."
Phyllis: "So you can't think anymore."
Gerald: "It not only killed him, but ripped his brain out from his jaw."
Gerald‘ makes gestures towards the exact location on the head it was pulled from.
Garrett: "Not krilly sure why it’s using its prawns as such, but the seal's… about also related, I reckon."
Tiefling: "Why do you think it's after the seal?"
Phyllis: "Its host kept mentioning it."
Chandrasekhar side-eyes Garrett.
Tiefling: "It is the main thing we're after at these digs."
Garrett: "It's a reel-y popular item."
Phyllis: "I take it you're Finona, given what we've heard from Rock."
Finona: "Yes, that's me. You talked to that lout, did you?"
Garrett‘ turns to Chandrasekhar. "(Fin-ona. I didn’t even have to try with that one.)"
Chandrasekhar: "'that lout'?"
Chandrasekhar: "-ah."
Phyllis: "A bit. You've also been to the temple for Jiese, I take it?"
Chandrasekhar: "What's so special about the seals, anyways?"
Finona: "And a couple more besides that. That man was a menace, almost ruined the whole excursion on multiple occasions. Just plain reckless."
Zane: "But it made for great stories."
Garrett: "But the kids love him."
Phyllis snickers. "He's nice, but probably not cut out for that kind of work, yeah."
Finona: "The seals aren't the biggest thing, honestly, but the abjurations protecting them are."
Phyllis: "Huh."
Zane: "Really?"
Finona: "Look, I have a letter from Caius. It has all these details and more. If you promise to leave us alone so we can head back to shore, I'll tell you where it is."
Chandrasekhar: "Sounds fair."
Garrett: "Dolphinately the best of all worlds."
Phyllis: "Is the abjuration for this one still intact?"
Aleith|DM: She just stares flatly at Garrett. One of the bodyguards snickers, and she turns the glare on them briefly.
Phyllis threateningly conjures a [Mage Hand] near Garrett's face, -fin-ally acknowledging his puns with a response.
Chandrasekhar finally snickers when the bodyguard does BUT HE COULDN'T BE THE FIRST ONE, OKAY.
Finona: "At the moment. We've been very careful trying not to repeat what happened at the previous sites."
Gerald: "I'm in favor of less extraplaner invasions, myself."
Finona: "We think it's possible to remove the seal without interrupting it, hence the crane, but we were starting to rush things when ship number three showed up."
Finona: "Probably water beasts trapped in the mote behind the seal, but can't be too sure as we found out at the Apet one."
Chandrasekhar: "'mote'?"
Gerald‘ opens his mouth, pauses, glances back at Zane.
Finona: "…did you visit the Apet one? Think to check behind the ’seal' we put up over it?"
Gerald‘ mouth’s the word 'giant snake' at him questioningly.
Zane shakes his head slightly at Gerald.
Chandrasekhar: "There were… logistical concerns that arose as we were examining the temple."
Gerald: "I think someone did and that set off a water trap? I was busy shooting orc zombies at the time."
Finona: "Ah. Did you like that welcome mat? I thought it was a nice touch."
Zane: "Like may be a strong term, but it was amusing."
Chandrasekhar: "My compliments, yes."
Garrett: "It was moray like an exiting shove."
Finona: "Behind the seal is mote of the plane, probably 100 feet on a side? Contains a fraction of the plane trapped until it's opened. So far they've been mad as hell when released."
Phyllis: "Didn't get to look too closely with the rising undead and all."
Finona: "The inhabitants, that is."
Finona: "I wasn't there for Apet, but it was similar for Jiese and Nem."
Phyllis: "And they're released by undoing these abjurations?"
Finona: "Generally."
Phyllis: "Are there any other parties that would be interested in undoing these wards, then? With Caius gone, at least."
Garrett: "(And Rock staying whale out of the game, now.)"
Finona: "Whoever he was working for? He was thinking of bringing me into the fold-it's in the letter-but I don't know what they're planning."
Phyllis: "The fold? Aha."
Chandrasekhar focuses, slightly. Trying not to freak Finona out, but the Apet lifeform dove down here, so good odds are it's right here in this room… [Detect Planar Energy]
Aleith|DM: Well, it's going to take 10 minutes to cast….
Gerald: "Anyway if you don't let the monsters out I personally don't really care what you guys are doing as long as it doesn't lead to world destruction but we are… kinda on the hunt for the weird brianpire, so."
[OOC] Phyllis: Someone here probably still has it cast on them from before, right?
[OOC] Zane: alright, hopping to the desktop. be back in a minute
Chandrasekhar: "Speaking of which, we saw it descend before we arrived here. Odds are it'll try to off any of us if it gets the chance since we know too much, so…"
Aleith|DM: Well, I mean, that might be true? Let's say Chandrasekhar cast it before diving then. Some faint Apet energy from the 5 of Finona's crew, then.
Aleith|DM: Nothing else in the area though.
Chandrasekhar: "If you could wait a few minutes while we try to ascertain its location…" -and, because he was clever and cast before diving, it's really more a 'wiggle fingers and look mysterious' sort of thing.
Chandrasekhar: "Only faint energy from your crew…"
Finona: "Haven't seen it, but if you insist…"
Phyllis could probably look around again, if it's been long enough to roll Perception using Hunter's Blessing again.
Finona: "I guess we're probably still trailing a bit of energy from the ziggurat."
Gerald: "Probably."
Phyllis: "Do the rest of us trail the same kind of energy? I haven't bothered to look."
Aleith|DM: Yes, you do.
Garrett: "DpesThat kind of thing doesn't come out in the wash, does it."
Chandrasekhar: "Stay cautious. Anyone who knows about the temples should consider themselves marked by that creature or Caius' employers."
Phyllis: "You thinking of actually joining that fold at this rate? What's next for you?"
Aleith|DM: Finona thinks for a bit.
Aleith|DM: There's a glint of gold on one of her fingers.
Finona: "The fold? Probably not without Caius' backing. They sound like a tight-lipped bunch."
Zane tries unobtrusively to get a better look at her ring.
Aleith|DM: It's a plain golden ring.
Finona: "We still want to make our money, however, so we'll probably come back after getting a few more ships and try retrieving the seal again."
Finona: "Reputation to uphold, you know?"
Finona: "Is that long enough? Are guys planning to try and take the seal?"
Zane: "Not even a little bit, actually."
Phyllis: "You're planning to try and keep the abjurations intact this time, right?"
Aleith|DM: She nods. "Don't know what Mashiva would have exactly, but I don't plan on finding out."
Chandrasekhar: "But, ultimately, handing it over to Caius' employers? What would it take for you to accept a better offer?"
Zane: "That's a fine ring you're wearing, Finona. Trade you some good news for a look at it? No tricks, not even to keep, just to look for a moment and pass it back."
Finona: "Ultimately, yeah. Though I need a new contact first." To Zane: "What, this? It's something I got from Caius."
Phyllis: "Kind of figured. He was wearing something similar."
Zane: "I suspected as much, hence why I want to look at it."
Finona: "They matched."
Zane: "Same inscription?"
Finona: "I don't exactly trust you that much, but I can tell you the inscription if you want to give me that good news. It's a different one."
Zane: "Alright, good enough. Ladies first."
Finona: "It's Original Brave Ideas."
Zane nods. "We've got a local ship ferrying your people back to shore as we speak. Once you hit the surface, you won't actually have to swim all the way there."
Phyllis nods. "Yeah, I think about all that's left is the letter you mentioned and we're good to go."
Finona: "Well, that's mighty kind of you. I don't think Paco will be a fan of seeing us, but it's warmer than down here."
Finona: "The letter should be in a chest in my room on the bottom of the ship. Hopefully you can get to it, but it's in a waterproof satchel so hopefully it's still fine."
Finona: "Near the…back of the ship. Whatever they call that."
Zane nods. "Stern."
Finona: "That thing."
Zane: "At some point in the future, remind me to offer you a job. This isn't the time or place though."
Aleith|DM: She motions to the warlocks, and they-carefully-move towards the tent to start grabbing their stuff.
Gerald: "Guess we got a ship to splunk. … Do you splunk wreckage?" Gerald scratches at his head.
Finona: "Well, I'm just a sending away if you want to find me."
Finona: "As long as the pay is good, I'll probably consider it."
Zane grins. "It might be. Anyway, see you around."
Garrett: "No no,"
Garrett: "Sea you around."
Zane: "Garrett I know where you sleep."
Zane heads for the ship.
Gerald: "That's the same word…"
Garrett‘ grins not unlike a shark.
Phyllis: "I would dunk you under the water for that, but alas, we’re already here."
Finona: "Alright." She and her crew step outside the diving bell after getting their stuff, and then swim up to the surface, towards the La Inspiración.
Zane: "Alright, letter first and then the temple."
Phyllis: "The temple?"
Aleith|DM: Well, there's not much of a temple. They barely excavated the seal room.
Zane: "Ziggurat. Ruin. Whichever."
Phyllis: "You sound like you have something in mind, though."
Zane vague handwavey gesture as he propels himself through the water. "I'm not good at your language when I am planning something devious."
Chandrasekhar: "I don't imagine there's anything there relevant to us other than the seal room."
Aleith|DM: By the way, they do warn you about her half-orc friend in the wreck behind you, who swims out, along with two sharks and a couple of octopi, and follow them.
Garrett: "Ahahaha. Hidden mussel."
Phyllis just flounders behind Zane.
Zane: "That one made me physically eel."
Ernst audibly groans.
Chandrasekhar: "I'm just glad your antics didn't make her clam up during negotiations."
Garrett: "If only all of our anemones were as receptive."
Gerald: "So what do we figure is in the letter."
Phyllis: "I have my thoughts."
Chandrasekhar: "Probably a very very vague and concealed lead that we're going to spend the next several weeks hunting down in between continuing to track our brain-devouring associate."
Zane nods at Singh. "What he said."
Aleith|DM: There's not a lot at the excavation site, even the tent's been pretty much cleared out.
Aleith|DM: It takes a bit of work to get into the hold of the sunken ship, but not too much. You manage to find the trunk in her room.
Garrett‘ wriggles around and through the wreckage, bending this way and that, a lot like an eel actually.
Phyllis: "Finona spoke of the ’fold' Caius wanted her in as if they were equals, not his employers. As if we've reached a tier of a group of like-minded individuals instead of a hierarchy."
Phyllis: "Which seems to mirror the next line in Nevard's prophecy, if you interpret the woman on the couch as Xambria."
Zane: "Maybe."
Aleith|DM: Opening it here, or back on your ship?
[OOC] Garrett: topside, probably
[OOC] Zane: out of the water, if we can manage it
Phyllis: "Caius, Xambria … Saxby. If I had to guess."
Aleith|DM: Yeah, the trunk isn't that heavy.
Phyllis: "That last one's tenuous."
Chandrasekhar: "I would not be -entirely- surprised if she were in on it. Also, I suspect… someone in the higher echelons of the Court, possibly, but I don't know who, and that's tenuous as well."
Aleith|DM: When you break the water, the captain of the Dagger's wringing his hands as he calls out to you. "Uh, constables? Your suspect's…gone."
Ernst: "Gone…?"
Zane: "'Gone'?"
Garrett‘ puts his face into his hands.
Garrett: "Just… how."
Phyllis: "Xambria? What happened?"
Phyllis: "Was she repossessed?"
Ernst sighs. "At least this one isn’t dead yet. Seems every time we walk away something happens to a suspect."
Glassmaker: "One of my men went to check on her twenty minutes ago, and there's this big magic circle on the deck, and the cuffs laying nearby."
Gerald: "Why exactly do we have handcuffs that aren't antimagic ones again…?"
Chandrasekhar: "I'm not even sure gold would have helped here, if it was our friend from elsewhere."
Zane: "Easy, Gerald. Innocent suspects don't run."
Aleith|DM: Doesn't matter, even if they were mage cuffs, it's the same situation.
Phyllis: "Lead me to it. The real suspect was … more of an entity possessing her, not herself. We lost track of it."
Gerald: "We don't really ever get any of those."
Gerald: "Also just throwing it out there but maybe she was in league with the brainpire. Or had one stashed away and set it loose we we called her shit? I duno."
Gerald: "Blasting out of the ship is pretty suspicious."
Garrett: "Let's take a look at that first before opening this chest of wonder."
Phyllis: "Yeah, I'm curious about this magic circle."
Ernst: "Let's take a gander, then."
Zane: "Yeah."
Chandrasekhar refreshes the [Detect Planar Energy] if it's fallen off.
Aleith|DM: Inside the Dagger's hold lies a magic circle. A quick check shows it to be for a linked portal ritual.
Phyllis: Any indication of the destination? "Remnants of a portal somewhere, from the looks of it."
Aleith|DM: Coordinates looks like it went to Flint.
Gerald: "I forget, does gold block portals?"
[OOC] Phyllis: That's probably IC knowledge? but I can't remember atm
Aleith|DM: It blocks teleportation, but it doesn't look like the boat had gold thread around the hull like the Coaltongue did.
Phyllis: "Back to Flint. Sadly, I don't know enough to re-open one like this."
Zane: "Thats OK. When we see Xambria in Flint, we can ask her."
Garrett: "Thank… goodness?"
Aleith|DM: Inside the trunk, when you check, you find a ritual book that contains the rituals Comprehend Languages, Linked Portal, Knock, Magic Circle, and Water Breathing, plus 135 gp of ritual components.
Gerald: "We should… probably let Delft know she's back in town?"
[OOC] Aleith|DM: whoops did italics completely wrong there
[OOC] Phyllis: goodness
Gerald: "Given it's a week back."
[OOC] Phyllis: Which trunk, the one we brought up from Finona's room?
Aleith|DM: There's also a letter.
[OOC] Aleith|DM: http://storagebin.wikispaces.com/ZG-Case+Notes
Aleith|DM: Yes, that one.
Garrett‘ whistles. "Caius, you smooth talker."
Chandrasekhar: "Well, that’s rather more information than I expected."
Zane smiles. Also not unlike a shark.
Phyllis flips through the ritual book. "… Ah, that should suffice if we want to give more immediate chase to Xambria."
Zane: "Oh? Today just gets better and better!"
Gerald: "Huh?"
Chandrasekhar: "So, there are… definite portals, somewhere, sealed by these seals. That's… alarming."
Garrett: "Nah that's a different ritual."
Zane: "And this group seems to be undoing them."
Phyllis: "We could set up more wards of our own."
Garrett: "Mmmmm…"
Zane: "I think that's a great idea, but I know about as much magic as your average piece of non-Rackus rock."
Chandrasekhar: "What… idiotic… why would… precautionary principle, maadher chodra!"
Chandrasekhar leans against a wall angrily.
Zane: "So thats on you, primarily."
Aleith|DM: Hmmm, rereading Linked Portal, the circle's gone.
[OOC] Phyllis: Oh well then, retcon that bit entirely?
Aleith|DM: There's some Apet energy in the area, and you can figure it leads to Flint, but you don't have the sigil sequence to teleport there.
Aleith|DM: Basically, yeah. Sorry.
[OOC] Garrett: forgiven
Aleith|DM: What's the plan, now?
Phyllis: "I'm going to go down and set up an un-welcome mat for the next group that tries to come after the seal. Ernst, I'll want your help for this."
Ernst: "Of course."
Zane: "I almost want to say 'booby trap it to pop open the mote' but that sounds a little too much even for me."
Garrett: "Just putting it out there, right?"
Ernst shakes his head. "I'm half tempted to stick with the next person we arrest. The escapes, suicides and murders that look like suicides are wearing on my patience."
Chandrasekhar: "I'm not far from that myself, Ernst."
Aleith|DM: So what're you doing at the dig site?
Phyllis - fast-forwarding time here, if the seqeuence of actions is permitted - drop back down with the ritual book, and ward the open excavation site with Magic Circles against … all origins, or at least against Infernal/Natural? (( kind of deciding on the details of that last bit ))
[OOC] Phyllis: probably just natural
Aleith|DM: Tieflings are still Natural.
Aleith|DM: Make an Arcana check for the Magic Circle
[OOC] Phyllis: With Ernst rolling to assist?
Aleith|DM: Sure
Ernst rolled d20+12 and got 12 ( Total: 24.0 )
Phyllis rolled d20+16 and got 2 ( Total: 18.0 ) for 14 base, 2 from assist**
Aleith|DM: Alright.
Phyllis: And after that, returning to our boat and parting ways with the Dagger?
Aleith|DM: The Dagger is willing to sail back with you if you want, or they can wait. They don't have any cargo and the person who hired them is now gone.
Aleith|DM: But at least they were already paid.
Chandrasekhar asks how much it'd cost to have the area of the temple patrolled, just to have the suggestion open for Delft when they get back.
Phyllis also leaves one finishing touch: an inscription that reads 'NOT WELCOME'
Aleith|DM: Haha. Well played.
Aleith|DM: The Berans will be sticking around, since they were originally digging up the site.
Aleith|DM: They'll try petitioning the Shantus to see if they can get a military escort.
[OOC] Aleith|DM: The Bruse. Bruse Shantus. Whoops.
[OOC] Garrett: the fuck
[OOC] Phyllis: yeah the dagger can roll with us
[OOC] Phyllis: either way I think we're mostly done here?
Aleith|DM: Alright. It takes you another 7 days to sail back to Flint.
Gerald‘ sent Delft a feather about the whole Xambia thing, also. obviously.
Aleith|DM: Feather doesn’t have that much range.
[OOC] Garrett: I think we even might sail at parity with the feather?
Gerald‘ hates elves :(
Phyllis can probably send a Spirit Fetch just to inform him?
Aleith|DM: Wait it does
Aleith|DM: You guys have the orb with you, so you can send it to him at 10 mph in a direct path.
Aleith|DM: Sure.
[OOC] Phyllis: FEATHER INSTEAD gosh
[OOC] Garrett: YOWL
[OOC] Phyllis: whatever’s most expedient
Aleith|DM: You pull into the harbour on the morning of the 25th.
Phyllis: "Hm. Caius was supposed to have a meeting on the 20th."
Aleith|DM: 20th of Winter.
Aleith|DM: It's still Autumn
Aleith|DM: You have 80+ days still.
[OOC] Phyllis: oh!
[OOC] Garrett: request your PTO today!!
Garrett: "It's still here! That's always comforting."
Phyllis shakes her head. " … of winter. Disregard me."
Aleith|DM: As you pull into the dock, the Messenger Wind arrives, and Delft asks you to come to the Pardwight Museum of Natural History.
Garrett: "Oh boy."
Gerald: "Do you think they have food there…? Probably not. I could go for some hot, not-ship-rations."
Zane: "We'll grab something on the way."
Garrett: "Absolutely stroll in with a kebab or two."
Garrett: "But if he's already in the field, let's not keep him waiting long."
Phyllis: "Agreed. On both counts."
Aleith|DM: When you arrive, Delft is there with the curator, Hans Weber; a dozen police officers provide security.
Zane offers Delft a kebab. "Picked one up for you on the way since we were tired of ship food. What's the situation?"
Delft: "That was fast. I wasn't sure how long I'd be waiting, but they said your boat would probably be pulling in today according to calculations."
Phyllis just looks at Hans with an 'I told you so' expression on her face.
Garrett‘ suppresses a ’naw, we like you,' and just nods along.
Phyllis: "When the boss summons, you answer."
Aleith|DM: He takes the kebab gladly. "What happened while you were gone, exactly? You said something about underwater seals, Xambria escaping-we haven't seen her or her host by the way, though we've been looking-and sinking ships?"
Delft: "Who's ships, exactly?"
Garrett: "Mercenaries. You know how it goes."
Chandrasekhar glances around for 'who's in earshot'.
Phyllis: "Mercenaries."
Delft: "Oh, good. Dodged a bullet there."
Zane: "We did nothing of the sort, they simply suffered a catastrophic powder magazine accident. All of us were present and accounted for on our boat when it happened."
Delft: "Of course, of course."
Delft: "Simply tragic."
Zane: "On the plus side temporarily halted their looting of my peoples sacred relics and managed to score some intel for the future while we were at it."
Phyllis: "Ones hired by Caius to dig and unearth the seal in the temple dedicated to Mavisha, it seems. We can give you a full debriefing later, since … it looks like there's something happening right here, right now."
Phyllis glances around at the police.
Garrett: "What's new, who died?"
Delft: "Several people due to lack of brain, about one per day since you probably sent the feather. I assume that it's Xambria's passengers' doing."
Zane: "Shit."
Garrett‘ face back in hands.
Phyllis: "She escaped via a Linked Portal. No idea what speed her passenger can travel, but it’s a possibility they reunited."
Garrett: "And the museum…?"
Gerald: "Why… would it come back for her, though? Still not entirely convinced she's innocent."
Zane: "Neither am I, really."
Chandrasekhar: "Could just be familiar with the contours of her mind. Could be she's uniquely susceptible."
Gerald‘ nods, then nods again.
Gerald: "Anyway uh… anything in common with the victims or?"
Delft: "Not that we can see," he says, shaking his head. "Mr. Weber here received a strange note last night."
[OOC] Aleith|DM: http://storagebin.wikispaces.com/file/view/Strange%20Letter.JPG/591111374/Strange%20Letter.JPG
Garrett` shakes his head. "Not as eloquent as Caius."
Gerald` tilts his head at the note.
Gerald: "’Hans' being Mr. Weber?"
Aleith|DM: The curator nods. "Yes, that's me."
Phyllis: "Ah. … Xambria, perhaps in a more lucid state, uninfluenced by her hijacker."
Weber: "I found it in my office when I was cleaning up for the night yesterday. Reported it this morning."
Gerald: "So did you… know about the brainpire?"
Zane looks at the letter. "Gidim…"
Weber: "The….what? Sorry?"
Gerald: "We don't really have a name for the weird apet creature that's eating brains and stealing bodies, so I've been calling it a brainpire."
Gerald: "Like a vampire. But with brains."
Chandrasekhar: "I think we might have a name for it now. Does 'gidim' mean anything to you?"
Delft: "I think the name you're looking for is Sijhen."
Phyllis looks at Gerald. "Wasn't that the name of something in that vision?"
Zane shakes his head. "I know that word. Gidim."
Weber: "Not particularly. Like the note says, maybe it's their race or world."
Zane fingernsaps at Phyllis. "That was it."
Garrett: "I read Suhen but it's…" He squints at the note.
Gerald: "Gidim? Hmm. It sounds familiar yeah."
Garrett: "I'll take whatever."
Phyllis: "A different star."
Gerald: "Wait you saw the dead orcs too?"
Phyllis: "Accidentally. I went back to inspect the orb, thinking it could be used as a different 'sun' in one of the rooms."
Gerald: "Huh."
Phyllis: "Didn't get the latter, but I did experience the same thing you did."
Gerald: "Hmm."
Gerald: "Oh right. Yeah Gidim was definitely a place, probably a nation."
Phyllis: "Another star, even, like Apet. But a relatively unknown one."
Gerald: "Aha."
Gerald: "Uh anyway. … Do you still have the relics?" Turning back to the curator.
Ernst: "I imagine we'll be having to do some security."
Phyllis: "We left two of them in your custody, at least. If you'll recall, I've been carrying the third."
Weber: "They're still in the royal safehold at the moment, but the gala's opening on the evening on the 31st."
Zane: "It'll be here to make a play for them then."
Weber: "I'd appreciate if you could give me the staff when the gala actually opens for the display. We can do whatever security you like on it to make sure no more accidents happen."
Gerald‘ stares at Weber.
Weber: "And I would greatly appreciate it if you could provide security that night."
Delft: "I’m okay with it if you are," he says to you.
Garrett‘ gives Delft a side-eyed glance like ’is this dude for real?'
Zane: "I wouldn't miss it."
Phyllis: "It can phase through gold and other typical measures, you realize."
Gerald: "Are we allowed to use rich civillians as bait…?"
Ernst: "I take it this Gala is so important to you that you wouldn't cancel it even though it's very likely it's going to be attacked?"
Delft: "To be fair, it's good bait, as you said."
Gerald: "Works for me."
Chandrasekhar: "The 'civilians' in the room where the artifact is held will be trained members of the RHC, I assume."
Zane: "Gerald, no. You don't ask questions like that."
Zane: "You just do it, and assume they know what you are thinking."
Garrett: "(Yeah, you just send the invitations…)"
Gerald: "Oh, okay."
Delft: "We'll have several plainsclothes cops around."
Zane: "Their priority needs to be getting the guests out as fast as possible."
Zane: "When this thing shows up, its going to bring friends and we aren't going to have time to herd them."
Ernst: "I was under the impression people would want to see the artifact. Are they willing to only have trained RHC members around it?"
Ernst gestures to Weber.
Weber: "There would several distinguished guests, but they're largely fellow academics. And various others as well as the general public. The gala opens at 7 that night."
Ernst: "Have you considered setting up a fake artifact on display? There's no guarantee that Sijhen wouldn't be able to steal it despite us being there. We've been given the run around a few times now. Not to say I expect us to fail, but…"
Ernst: "I can't imagine it'd be good for us if they did actually get what they wanted."
Aleith|DM: Weber wrings his hands, explaining, "I don't exactly have the funds to pay for mock-ups…"
Garrett: "Whatever, we need to exile or kill- and really, I think the lot of us are leaning towards that last bit- the beast."
Garrett: "At this point…? Rent some chainmail for the night, Hans."
Gerald: "Are we using it's name now? Lame." Frown.
Weber: "I'll…take that into consideration."
[OOC] Garrett: wrong name
Chandrasekhar: "It can't be suffered to live. Please make sure you and yours are protected."
Garrett‘ pats the man on the arm and passes him by, going to size up the display hall.
Zane: "Look on the bright side, Gerald. Brainpire stuck all the way up until we had its actual name to replace it."
Phyllis glances over at Delft. "I’m nearly past my requisition limit, but we don't need mockups, just … an illusory item."
Ernst glances at Phyllis. "That could work."
Gerald: "I guess I could lobby for race name instead of individual name."
Delft: "We'll coordinate with the musem security."
Weber: "If you could do that, the relics can stay in the safehold until that…gidim? Is captured."
Weber: "The staff is up to you, of course."
Delft: "Constable Lenz, you've been allotted some extra stipend, as well as another payday waiting for you, once you get back to HQ."
Gerald‘ taps at his chin, glancing at Phyllis. "Do you think a weird brain linked monster that’s probably inherently psionic would fall for an illusion…? Sounds like the sort of thing it might be good at seeing through."
Delft: "Oh right, after reporting to Lady Inspector Saxby, of course. It's about the results of the audit."
Delft: "She wanted to see you as soon as you made landfall, but this couldn't wait."
Zane: "Just Phyllis, or all of us?"
Delft: "All of you, of course."
Gerald: "We sure are popular."
Phyllis retrieves the staff and hands it to Weber. "At this point, I suspect the staff itself isn't dangerous."
Weber: "Oh, thank you! I'll get it put into the safehold right away."
Ernst: "Do you have a floor plan for the building or anything?"
Weber: "Certainly."
[OOC] Aleith|DM: putting it up on gametable
Phyllis glances back at Gerald. "Couldn't hurt, right?"
Gerald: "I 'uno, just thinking out loud."
Garrett: "Pay raise, meeting with the bigger boss, and then a compliment. That's how you do it, two positives and one…"
Garrett: "Well, whatever."
Ernst: "I'm half expecting us to get fired for sticking our noses in too many places."
Gerald: "Naw."
Zane: "Then she cant keep an eye on us."
Gerald: "We're gunna get frowned at because she still dosn't like us but we're too good to get rid of."
Gerald‘ finger guns in Ernst’s direction.
Ernst chuckles. "Honestly if we played less by the books she might have liked us more. I'm far too much of a stickler for the rules to be useful to someone like that."
Phyllis turns the letter found by Weber over in her hands thoughtfully. "I don't think that's her cause for our dislike."
Phyllis: "In any case."
Aleith|DM: Alright, you head back over to HQ. Saxby makes you wait for nearly a half hour before one of the secretaries shows you inside.
Gerald‘ has time to munch on kebabs and get a drink then! Looks plesently refreshed when he enters the office.
Aleith|DM: Saxby doesn’t exactly offer you a seat, much like before.
Saxby: "As I hope Inspector Delft informed you, the results of the audit are back. The Lord Viscount Inspector should be joining us shortly."
Zane: "Oh good. I look forward to hearing the results."
Gerald‘ nods.
Ernst stays quiet for this. He’s probably still on probation for being new.
Chandrasekhar stands at parade rest, stoically.
Phyllis drums her fingers against the crook of one of her folded arms.
Saxby: "Your actions on the job have been mostly appropriate. A couple of assassins died during the attack on the R.N.S. Coaltongue, but most of the suspects you've brought in have been in relatively-good condition, considering."
Saxby: "What has happened to them after being brought in is not your fault, of course."
Saxby: "We're still looking into what happened with one Kaja Stewart. That's a black eye against us."
[OOC] Aleith|DM: black mark
Zane: "Still irritating. I hate losing useful witnesses."
Saxby: "Quite."
Phyllis: "Phasing, I suspect. It's been a common theme in our recent investigation."
Saxby: "As for your affiliations…"
Saxby: "While we still wish you'd brought in Gale, there was at least some reason not to, and she did provide some intel. And her attacks have died down in frequency and damage."
Saxby: "The factory owners aren't happy, but the ones targetted are usually the ones who treat their employees the worst."
Saxby: "The dockers have a song about you, Constable Lenz, did you know? Something about bringning the plight of the peoples to the governor."
Chandrasekhar cracks the tiniest little smile.
Phyllis: "Sheesh. That was hardly anything."
Saxby: "They sing about hardly anything as it is."
Phyllis: "Wonder if Stanfield's actually taken action on that since."
Saxby: "Constable Cooper, it does appear that one of Lorcan Kell's associates planted that evidence in your home. He's being tried for it. The forensics came back on that murder victim, by the way, and didn't match your shotgun, so that's in the clear as well. Looks like they were trying to set you up."
Saxby: "Don't smirk too much, Constable Singh. One Tyler Starke was arrested trying to attack Rock Rackus while you were away."
Gerald‘ nods.
Saxby: "While the warning was good-the man watching Rock stopped the attack-he was a member of the Vekeshi Mystics."
Saxby: "He outted you during interrogation as another member, and that he was trying to get you to murder the man originally."
Zane snorts.
Chandrasekhar goes serious, paying close attention, nodding the slightest bit. Committing the name to memory. "Do we have him? I’d very much like to… speak with him myself."
Gerald: "…Someone didn't know the Eldadrin Paladin was a Mystic?"
Phyllis glances to Chandra knowingly.
Saxby: "We didn't exactly broadcast it. It's basically viewed as a murder cult by the masses."
Chandrasekhar snorts slightly. "'Tyler Starke' wouldn't know the Vekeshi chant if he woke up to it in the morning, I guarantee it."
Saxby: "Only the police know at the moment, and we're hoping word doesn't spread, but there's going to be various investigations during the next few months."
Saxby: "He's in custody. Careful. He seems deranged, according to the interrogaters. He's also the son of Flint's Attorney General, so don't do anything to him, please."
Chandrasekhar raises both eyebrows.
Saxby: "Please tell me that have an inside man in the Mystics is still worth it, Singh."
Garrett: "Interesting."
Chandrasekhar: "I made sure Rackus was protected, did I not? Someone within the court thought they'd be doing someone else a favour by having him killed."
Phyllis: "It wouldn't really be fitting if we killed Rock, given our prior concern shown for the Dockers. If anything went awry with that, violence could have easily erupted among the crowd."
Chandrasekhar: "I suspect it goes deeper than that and am trying to confirm my suspicions."
Saxby: "I think he was just deranged, but you're welcome to meet with him later."
Saxby: "Onto the final item. Budget."
Saxby: "You're keeping within your budget, which is good. No extraneous items other than Ms. Terrorist's messenger wind…that we found, anyway. Only Constable Lenz is using some of her budget on expenditures, though. Just remember that if the money doesn't get spent, the politicians will try to cut our budget next year."
Gerald: "Is that… encouragement to grab a sack of grenades…?"
Chandrasekhar: "(I think so.)"
Phyllis chuckles. "I've been putting as much to use as I can."
Saxby: "As long as you don't blow up public OR private property with it."
Gerald‘ seems to be considering how much property that leaves.
Aleith|DM: There’s a knock at the door. "That must be the Lord Viscount."
Zane: "Well that's depressingly limited, then."
Aleith|DM: Nigel Price-Hill enters the room, moving to stand next to Saxby's desk, hands behind his back.
Price-Hill: "Good work, constables. As you were out of town, you're the last of the constables to finish being reviewed. Your review is generally favourable. Congratulations."
Gerald: "Thank you, sir."
Zane nods.
Phyllis: "Just doing our job as expected, but thank you."
Garrett: "Mm." He nods.
Price-Hill: "I have high hopes for you-good luck with that brain-eating creature, by the way. You've made more headway with that then the police have."
Price-Hill: "I'll see you again in a few months when the peace summit comes to Flint in the new year."
Phyllis nods. "The one between Risur and Danor?"
Garrett: "(I get it.)"
The Lord Inspector nods. "The very one."
Saxby: "Alright, constables. That's everything. I have a few things to speak to the Lord Viscount about."
Ernst nods before heading out.
Garrett‘ salutes, turns on his heel (though not perfectly), and leaves.
Zane rises and gives them a crisp salute before leaving.
Phyllis stands, salutes, and leaves, giving Ernst a slight friendly nudge on the way out.
Chandrasekhar salutes and leaves (and lets out a puff of breath once they’re out of earshot).
Ernst glances back at Phyllis. He seems to be checking out the floor plans for the museum.
Zane: "'Please use your expenditures budget.' Remind me to start billing the RHC for my toxins."
Zane: "I'm sure they'll love that."
Phyllis: "You seemed a little nervous going into that. Not bad coming out, though, hm?"
Garrett‘ laughs. "I know they’ve got stronger stuff squirreled away somewhere."
Zane: "Of course they do, but not on public record."
Garrett: "Yeah but now the requisitions paperwork is less stonewalled from getting approved."
Chandrasekhar: "Given that a dear friend of mine has Saxby in her suspicions I was admittedly less than enthused."
Ernst scratches the back of his head. "Well. I haven't really done anything to commend outside of the engineers on the boat on our first job. Nobody attempted to frame me though, so I seem to be falling under the radar for better or worse."
Gerald: "It's the hat, man."
Gerald: "You gotta get one."
Garrett‘ nods to Ernst. "Maybe worse for you."
Gerald: "Hats and guns are the sure fire way to getting noticed!"
Zane claps Ernst on the shoulder. "Under-the-radar is the best place to be, Ernst. Notice who else didnt get their name dropped in that meeting?"
Phyllis: "I think she mentioned your handiwork first thing, Zane."
Ernst: "She did, yeah."
Zane: "I was talking about Garrett!"
Ernst chuckles.
Gerald: "Who?"
Phyllis: "… Well played."
Garrett` laughs.
Garrett: "And that, is fine, with me."
Ernst: "I’m going to go check out the museum in person."
Zane: "I was honestly hoping the assassins had been forgotten by now."
Ernst: "If we don't prepare adequately they're definitely going to steal the relics from us."
Phyllis: "Sounds good. We can seek out requisitions after we check the place out."
You're now level 7, stipend increases by 5,260 gp.
Garrett: "Really though, are we looking to capture this thing…?"
Zane: "I'm not."
Garrett: "How would we even hold it, given how it's given the slip to just about everything else."
Ernst: "I have my doubts that killing the host will stop it."
Ernst: "So I'm not entirely sure how we should proceed."
Zane rolls his shoulders. "I'm not going to kill the host, Ernst. I'm going to think it solid and then destroy it."
Garrett: "Oh no the host is at the least, a victim. I just mean the thing itself floating about all extraplanar like."
Chandrasekhar: "We have the capacity to make it a solid thing. A thing that can be slain. Do we not?"
Chandrasekhar: "We need only to lure it, and then act."
Phyllis nods at Chandra.
Gerald: "Or… is she?"
Gerald: "Still kinda wanna know why it's so intent on using her body."
Chandrasekhar: "We can't find out if she's dead."
Garrett: "She could be." He shrugs. "But the… request is for the brainpire at least. We can deal with Xambria after."
Zane: "Yeah, beast is dying. Xambria's getting a free nap."
Phyllis: "It can exist without her, and that state is neither dead nor banished."
Gerald: "Oh yeah just." Vauge motion. "Curious is all, I'm down for killing the brainpire and not killing the lady."

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License