Zg Session 21

Phyllis, you're in a lecture hall at Pardwight University listening to a guest lecturer speak on Heid Eschatol.
Someone beside you taps you on the shoulder, trying to get your attention during the Q&A period.
Aleith|DM rolled d20+10 and got 17 ( Total: 27 )
Aleith|DM: And a spear punches you in the side, hitting for 12 damage, and restraining you.
Aleith|DM: Yes, now that you're looking, there's a spear sticking through a hole in the left side of the wall.
Gerald: "You uh… you're supposed to dodge those! Yow. You okay?"
Aleith|DM: Escape DC 15 (Athletics or Acrobatics)
Phyllis: "Ow."
Ernst: "That looked unpleasant."
Phyllis: "I'll live."
Zane: "Alright just… hold still for a minute." [Assisting, pretty sure its an auto success at this point?]
Phyllis tries to wrangle herself free.
[OOC] Zane: for me, I mean. Phyllis at least gets a bonus to her roll
Phyllis rolled d20+3 and got 5 ( Total: 8.0 ) for Acrobatics, before assist
Aleith|DM: It's DC 10 + ½ level so DC 13, not quite
Aleith|DM: Looks like it'll take a bit to get her free, but after about half a minute you manage.
Phyllis: "Illusion magic on top of a physical trap."
Aleith|DM: Somehow, you think the magic was actually separate.
Gerald: "Those suck."
Phyllis: "Or at least an ill-timed coincidence."
Gerald: "Kinda wonder why there's so many random ass traps in here."
Zane shakes his head. "I hate this place."
Zane: "And am sad there is apparently another one in my country."
Gerald‘ scoots past Phyllis to check around the corner.
Aleith|DM: Which side of Phyllis?
Aleith|DM: Also, Perception check.
Chandrasekhar pats Phyllis on the shoulder consolingly once she’s actually free. That looked unpleasant!
Gerald‘ moved past the side that already had a spear shoot out of it and is unlikely to have a second, I guess?
Aleith|DM: Good enough.
Gerald` rolled d20+11 and got 17 ( Total: 28 )
Aleith|DM: You notice an ominous 2-inch wide hole at chest level on the wall opposite Phyllis. There’s another couple of holes just around the corner; the hallway extends past that and curves slightly.
Gerald‘ unslings his rifle, carrrefulyl leans it out and pokes around at the ground for pressure plates to set the traps off.
Aleith|DM: Thievery check?
Gerald` rolled d20+6 and got 12 ( Total: 18 ) for i mean i’m not really trying to disable it, just, set it off without standing it it like a dumbass but okay.
Phyllis takes a few moments and tries to catch a breath. [Short rest, technically?]
Aleith|DM: Technically, yes.
Ernst follows after Gerald before shaking his head.
Aleith|DM: You don't find any sort of pressure plates, not sure what exactly triggers it? But you could probably block the holes up.
Ernst: "I have a better idea."
Ernst summons his robot and has it sprint down the hallway setting off the traps.
Gerald: "Hmm?"
Aleith|DM: Uh
Aleith|DM: Nothing happens.
Gerald: "Oh."
Gerald: "… Huh?"
Ernst: "… huh."
Gerald: "I wonder if there's like."
Aleith|DM: Well, a couple of spears shoot out, but the robot's too short.
Aleith|DM: They miss it entirely.
Chandrasekhar: "You're telling me they anticipated robots!? Or- no, no, that's not the most parsimonious explanation of the facts…"
Gerald: "And orb that senses life force or something…? Oh wait there they go."
Gerald: "False alarm!"
Ernst: "Nope. Set off a few spears."
Gerald: "Good Stocke."
Ernst: "Stocke can lead the way."
Zane: "Motion triggers?"
Aleith|DM: Seems like a larger room ahead of the robot.
Ernst moves after his robot.
Gerald‘ trails after the robot, taking one of the spears with him for no real reason.
Aleith|DM: The spears are retracted afterwards, sorry.
Phyllis shrugs and follows behind. "Whatever. I’m made of stern stuff."
Aleith|DM: Walking past the spears shortly after they're triggered doesn't seem to set them off, at least. The ones by Phyllis seem to have reset after a few minutes, though, so they went off again when Stocke went past.
Aleith|DM: Reallocate by the room.
Aberrations like those you witnessed at the arms fair have claimed this room as their home. Two fleshy orbs covered with dozens of eyes float a few feet above the ground. Other creatures crawl along the walls and ceiling like massive spiders, except they have only four legs, and long barbed tongues protrude from their mouths. Their forms all waver from solid to translucent.
Phyllis: "Ugh."
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 28:Gerald | 26:Crawling Spiker B | 25:Crawling Spiker A | 23:Zane | 23:Crawling Spiker E | 21:Eye of Madness A | 20:Crawling Spiker H | 15:Crawling Spiker G | 14:Eye of Madness B | 13:Phyllis | 13:Crawling Spiker C | 10:Ernst | 10:Crawling Spiker D | 10:Crawling Spiker F | 6:Chandrasekhar |
Aleith|DM: Gerald?
Zane: "Shit."
Gerald: "Hey looks it's more things."
Chandrasekhar: "Hmm. What strange creatures…"
Gerald‘ lets off two [Twin Shot]s! Since he has AP to burn. B, C, D and E!
Gerald` rolled 2#d20+12(1) and got 8 ( Total: 20 )
Also rolled 2#d20+12(2) and got 11 [Total: 23]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 43
Gerald` rolled 2#d20+12(1) and got 3 ( Total: 15 )
Also rolled 2#d20+12(2) and got 20 [Total: 32]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 47
Gerald` rolled 2#d20+12(1) and got 20 ( Total: 32 )
Also rolled 2#d20+12(2) and got 12 [Total: 24]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 56
Gerald` rolled 2#d20+12(1) and got 14 ( Total: 26 )
Also rolled 2#d20+12(2) and got 2 [Total: 14]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 40
Gerald` vaguely feels like he should have shot stuff with Actual HP Pools but oh well.
Aleith|DM: Hurray shotguns? 4 [KOs!]
Gerald: "Okay I got my half you guys get yours."
Chandrasekhar: "Never change, my friend."
Gerald` then designates Eye of Madness A as his Quarry!
Ernst: "That aura is troublesome."
[OOC] Phyllis: Yeah probably, haha.
A familiar pattern of seven concentric rings surrounding a central white stone lies in the center of the room’s floor. A dot lies on the third ring, and an even tinier ring surrounds that dot.
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 28:Gerald | 25:Crawling Spiker A | 23:Zane | 21:Eye of Madness A | 20:Crawling Spiker H | 15:Crawling Spiker G | 14:Eye of Madness B | 13:Phyllis | 10:Ernst | 10:Crawling Spiker F | 6:Chandrasekhar |
Aleith|DM: Spiker A crawls up onto the ceiling, then snaps a long tongue out like a whip at Zane! [Harpoon Tongue]
Aleith|DM rolled d20+11 and got 9 ( Total: 20 )
Aleith|DM: But Zane manages to parry it aside!
Aleith|DM: Zane?
Zane conjures a dagger out of nowhere to deflect.
Chandrasekhar raises an eyebrow.
Zane then sheathes the dagger, whips out his bow, and puts an arrow into the closest eye. [RBA, Showrtbow]
Zane rolled d20+12 and got 2 ( Total: 14 ) for vs AC
Aleith|DM: Miss!
Zane does nothing of the sort. haaaaa :(
Aleith|DM: The two Eyes do have Thoughtform by the way, and are currently insubstantial.
Aleith|DM: Eye A floats a bit closer to the centre, then sends a nightmare towards Ernst. [Horrid Hallucinations]
Aleith|DM rolled d20+9 and got 10 ( Total: 19 ) for vs Will
Phyllis: "Hmmmm. Avilona?"
Aleith|DM: Ernst manages to throw it off!
[OOC] Zane: damn it man, I would have used my move action to think at one if I had known that. haha
Gerald: "Who what now?" \
Aleith|DM: Spikers G and H crawl forwards before sending Harpoon Tongues at Gerald and Zane!
Aleith|DM rolled 2#d20+11(1) and got 5 ( Total: 16.0 )
Also rolled 2#d20+11(2) and got 3 [Total: 14.0 (Low), Avg: 3.00]
Total: 30.0, Avg: 4.00
Aleith|DM: Both missing!
Phyllis: "The third star, if I recall correctly."
Aleith|DM: The moon, actually.
Gerald: "HARPOONS!"
Aleith|DM: But also the third star.
Phyllis: Huh. Not Av?
Aleith|DM: No, I meant Av.
Phyllis: Wacky.
Aleith|DM: The map symbolizes Av, as Chandrasekhar points out to you.
Phyllis: "My eyes must be failing me."
Phyllis: "Plus, they both start with Av."
Aleith|DM: Avilona's the 2nd one.
Aleith|DM: Eye B sends a nightmare at Zane! [Horrid Hallucination]
Aleith|DM rolled d20+9 and got 13 ( Total: 22 ) for vs Will
Chandrasekhar: "The ancients must have been fond of that sound, or something." He shrugs.
Aleith|DM rolled 2d8+4 and got 6, 2 ( Total: 12.0 )
Aleith|DM: Zane staggers through a nightmare and emerges unsure of what's real. 12+5=17 psychic damage, and he slides into the room 2 squares!
Gerald‘ fires a [Disruptive Shot] at the thing first!!!
Gerald` rolled 2#d20+12(1) and got 13 ( Total: 25 )
Also rolled 2#d20+12(2) and got 10 [Total: 22]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 47
Aleith|DM: Two hits! Long range!
Gerald` rolled d8+7 and got 3 ( Total: 10 ) for -6 to hti so Zane’s good
Gerald: "I gotcha."
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 5!
Aleith|DM: Phyllis!
Zane snarls something in his native tongue that is almost certainly not fit for polite company. "Thank you, Gerald."
Phyllis: "Alright, then."
Phyllis utters a quick phrase, before her own eyes glow green and she pierces her gaze into the creatures' most earnest desires. Then, she uses that knowledge to create an illusion at the other end of the hallway, attracting them. [Minor: Emerald Eye] [Standard: Visions of Avarice] [Move->Minor: Thoughtform vs. Fort against A to make substantial]
Phyllis rolled 6#d20+13(1) and got 14 ( Total: 27.0 ) for vs Will with 11+2=13 due to Emerald Eye
Also rolled 6#d20+13(2) and got 20 [Total: 33.0 (High), Avg: 20.00]
Also rolled 6#d20+13(3) and got 4 [Total: 17.0 (Low), Avg: 4.00]
Also rolled 6#d20+13(4) and got 15 [Total: 28.0 (High), Avg: 15.00]
Also rolled 6#d20+13(5) and got 4 [Total: 17.0 (Low), Avg: 4.00]
Also rolled 6#d20+13(6) and got 3 [Total: 16.0 (Low), Avg: 3.00]
Total: 138.0, Avg: 10.00
[OOC] Phyllis: ack forgot an order
Aleith|DM: eye eye crawlers
Aleith|DM: That's the init order
[OOC] Phyllis: rad okay, I was gonna specify that anyway
Aleith|DM: No damage roll? Crit, miss, hit, hit, hit, hit
Aleith|DM: Eye B is practically on top of it anyway so no big loss
Phyllis: No damage! Pull them 4 squares to the zone, immobilized (save ends).
Phyllis: Er, to the center.
Aleith|DM: Move 'em!
Aleith|DM: you can pull the spikers off the ceiling if you want, too
Aleith|DM: I'd, uh, roll saves but falling prone…makes them fall…anyway?
Aleith|DM: ……….
Aleith|DM: falling damage kills them
[OOC] Zane: yesss hahaha
[OOC] Phyllis: ahahaha
Gerald: "Nice."
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: duuunked
Ernst: "Good job."
Aleith|DM: 4 KOs!
Aleith|DM: Well, that makes init easier to manage.
Aleith|DM: Ernst!
Ernst fires off a shot at Eye of Madness A. [Burning Weapons]
[OOC] Phyllis: Fort attack first
[OOC] Phyllis: for thoughtform
Aleith|DM: Roll it!
Aleith|DM: Wait no, you have to be within 5 squares
Ernst rolled 2#d20+13(1) and got 20 ( Total: 33.0 )
Also rolled 2#d20+13(2) and got 12 [Total: 25.0 (High), Avg: 12.00]
Total: 58.0, Avg: 16.00
[OOC] Phyllis: oh nm, then
Aleith|DM: Crit!
Aleith|DM: You're in range so bonus damage too
[OOC] Ernst: I can't crit with my weapon it was the trade off for the extra range.
Aleith|DM: Ah right.
[OOC] Phyllis: Also, the zone persists as long as I sustain minor, and the sustain has an attack that pulls them to the center again
Ernst rolled 2d8+7 and got 4, 7 ( Total: 18.0 )
Aleith|DM: You still get maxed damage
[OOC] Ernst: Oh right.
[OOC] Ernst: 23
[OOC] Ernst: +4 fire damage on fire or weapon attacks for Zane/Gerald/Phyllis/Chandra/Ernst/Stocke
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 11!
Aleith|DM: Chandrasekhar!
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: I can move+charge…? or can I
[OOC] Zane: yep
Aleith|DM: Yep. You can move, minor, then charge, too
Chandrasekhar moves in, then charges eye A and applies divine challenge!
Chandrasekhar rolled d20+10 and got 5 ( Total: 15 ) for vs. AC
Chandrasekhar gains +2 to defenses, but doesn't hit. :(
As you cross the middle of the room, stones grind in the walls, and suddenly the floor begins to split apart over a bottomless pit.
Gerald: "I… huh."
Chandrasekhar: "-goddess!" Good thing he skewed over to the one side, then.
Zane: "Well. Alright, then."
Gerald: "Guess we should end this quick."
Aleith|DM: Thick vines grow across the entrances, blocking entrance and exit.
Aleith|DM: Dexterity Check to jump into the room before they shut.
Phyllis: "You first."
Gerald‘ briefly considers it, then decides against it. "It’s all you Chandra! Don't fall in!"
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 28:Gerald | 23:Zane | 21:Eye of Madness A | 14:Eye of Madness B | 13:Phyllis | 10:Ernst | 7:Sliding Floor Trap | 6:Chandrasekhar |
Phyllis: "You've got to be kidding."
Aleith|DM: Gerald? You can always shoot the vines, I guess?
Gerald: "Well I mean I have a gun."
Phyllis rolled d20+3 and got 16 ( Total: 19.0 ) for 0 dex mod, purely half level
Gerald‘ takes two pot shots at his quarry to demonstrate. [Twin Fang Strike]
Aleith|DM: Success!
Gerald` rolled 2#d20+10(1) and got 14 ( Total: 24 )
Also rolled 2#d20+10(2) and got 10 [Total: 20]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 44
Gerald` rolled 2#d20+10(1) and got 9 ( Total: 19 )
Also rolled 2#d20+10(2) and got 4 [Total: 14]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 33
Aleith|DM: Congratulations, you solidly hit the wall of vines. Damage?
Zane rolled d20+7 and got 12 ( Total: 19 )
Gerald` rolled 2d8+7 and got 8, 5 ( Total: 20 ) for I mean one shot blasted through just fine!
Aleith|DM: 20 damage to the wall in front of you! It’s a bit damaged.
Aleith|DM: Zane, you slip through before it closes as well.
Aleith|DM: Speaking of which, Zane?
Gerald: "This is some definitely bullshit, Phyllis!"
Gerald: "Who the hell makes vine barriers magically reinforced!"
Gerald: "What is wrong with you wizards!"
Chandras1khar: "Everything."
Zane takes a second to think real hard at Eye A…
Zane rolled d20+6 and got 17 ( Total: 23 ) for vs Fort
Zane then snaps an arrow into it. Possibly two.
Zane rolled d20+12 and got 17 ( Total: 29 ) for Shortbow RBA
Phyllis: "Do you want the short version of the list?"
Aleith|DM: Hit! The eye loses insubstantial and phasing!
Aleith|DM: Hit!
Gerald‘ rolled 2d8+10 and got 3, 8 ( Total: 21 ) for more vine wall damage btw
Aleith|DM: It’s heavily damaged [Bloodied?]
Gerald: "Sure that'll be good enough for now."
Zane rolled 3d8+10 and got 7, 3, 1 ( Total: 21.0 ) for Bow, Attack Finesse, Furious Assault, Assassin Strike
Also rolled 2d10 and got 4, 1 [Total: 5 (Low), Avg: 2.50]
Total: 26.0, Avg: 3.20
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 26!
Aleith|DM: Bloodied!
[OOC] Ernst: Burning weapon?
[OOC] Gerald: oh right another 8…
[OOC] Zane: Figured the +4 in for me, yeah
Zane shoots it again!
Zane rolled d20+12 and got 2 ( Total: 14 ) for Shortbow RBA
Aleith|DM: The vines are barely hanging on, but still in the way, Gerald.
Zane misses that AP already :(
Aleith|DM: Miss!
[OOC] Phyllis: Hey now
[OOC] Phyllis: Eye A is immobilized
Aleith|DM: ….yes that makes 'has to land on its turn or fall' troublesome.
Aleith|DM: As it's over a pit…?
Aleith|DM: The eye lets loose a Burst of Terror at Chandrasekhar! Ten thousand years of solitude sweep through you.
Aleith|DM rolled d20+9 and got 4 ( Total: 13 ) for vs Will
Aleith|DM: But Chandra shrugs it off.
Aleith|DM rolled d20+0 and got 11 ( Total: 11 ) for save vs falling in the pit
Aleith|DM: The eye manages to…somehow…cling to the side of the pit.
[OOC] Phyllis: also save vs immobilize since it's save ends and not ueont
Aleith|DM rolled d20+0 and got 17 ( Total: 17 )
Aleith|DM: Saved
Chandrasekhar closes his eyes, and imagines the glowing form of his fallen goddess- the Eladrin know solitude, and so rather than mind-breaking fear, he experiences a moment of sympathy for the alien creature. …not quite enough to not want to kill it for messing with his friends, but.
Aleith|DM: Eye B moves away from the pit, closer to Zane, then sends a Horrid Hallucination towards him!
Aleith|DM rolled d20+9 and got 11 ( Total: 20 ) for vs Will
[OOC] Phyllis: The best revenge, right?
Gerald: "I don't got that one!"
Aleith|DM rolled 2d8+4 and got 2, 6 ( Total: 12.0 ) for and save vs sliding into the pit
Zane rolled d20+0 and got 17 ( Total: 17 )
Aleith|DM: 17 psychic damage to Zane! He manages to grab onto the side of the pit!
Zane goes over the edge, only to grab it at the last second.
Aleith|DM: Phyllis?
Phyllis places her [Mage Hand] over the Visions of Avarice zone, then sustains the zone with a secondary attack. [Minor, Minor]. After that, she assaults the eyes with a psychic horde of illusory orcish warriors, reminiscent of the ancients. [Standard: Winged Horde]
Aleith|DM: Eye A's Thoughtform is back.
Aleith|DM: (start of your turn)
[OOC] Aleith|DM: wait nvm that was Zane
[OOC] Phyllis: I've got way too much sustain and other actions to do with my minors :(
[OOC] Aleith|DM: You're good for A!
[OOC] Phyllis: I ONLY DO PSYCHIC DAMAGE ANYWAY
Aleith|DM: True
Phyllis rolled 2#d20+13(1) and got 10 ( Total: 23.0 ) for First, secondary attack - no damage, but pulls all enemies back to the zone
Also rolled 2#d20+13(2) and got 17 [Total: 30.0 (High), Avg: 17.00]
Total: 53.0, Avg: 13.50
Aleith|DM: Hits!
Phyllis rolled 2#d20+13(1) and got 8 ( Total: 21.0 ) for vs Will, damage
Also rolled 2#d20+13(2) and got 15 [Total: 28.0 (High), Avg: 15.00]
Total: 49.0, Avg: 11.50
Phyllis rolled d6+4 and got 1 ( Total: 5.0 ) for psychic damage, can't make OAs UEoNT
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 5!] to both!
[OOC] Phyllis: and done
Aleith|DM: The pit widens! Saves for Chandrasekhar, Phyllis, and Zane!
Aleith|DM rolled d20+0 and got 15 ( Total: 15 ) for save for Eye A
Zane rolled d20+0 and got 2 ( Total: 2 )
Phyllis rolled d20 and got 17 ( Total: 17 )
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: what am I saving against
Aleith|DM: Falling into the widened pit.
[OOC] Ernst: The pit that just opened under your feet.
[OOC] Zane: fall into the put with me it'll be fun…
Aleith|DM: The eye manages to keep clinging to the cliff. Phyllis does as well. Zane, however, falls.
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: OK but what number do I add to the thing
Chandrasekhar rolled d20 and got 18 ( Total: 18 )
[OOC] Phyllis: most likely 0.
[OOC] Zane: nothing, just roll 10+. you're good
[OOC] Ernst: d20, 10+ is a pass I think
Aleith|DM: You're clinging to the side of the pit, but don't fall in.
Aleith|DM: Zane takes 10 psychic damage and is falling, falling, falling………
Aleith|DM: Chandrasekhar! You're clinging to the side of the cliff, but a Move action will pull you up over the side.
Zane vanishes down the hole. "Me cago en la leche!"
Gerald: "You what?"
[OOC] Ernst: How big is this pit what happened to Zane
Aleith|DM: He dropped out of sight. You're not sure how deep it is, since he doesn't have a light source.
[OOC] Phyllis: I'm … gonna guess it's [non-euclidean units of distance]
Chandrasekhar clambers the fuck out of the pit and then turns around and stabs the Eye in, uh, at least one eye. [Righteous Smite]
[OOC] Phyllis: given the nature of this temple
Chandrasekhar rolled d20+10 and got 14 ( Total: 24 ) for vs. AC
[OOC] Zane: on the plus side I am really geared to not-die from falling damage
Aleith|DM: Hit!
[OOC] Ernst: I'm mostly curious how much falling damage he takes since I might want to heal him at some point
Aleith|DM: You can't see him yet because of the wall, and he took 10 psychic damage.
Chandrasekhar rolled 2d8+10 and got 4, 4 ( Total: 18 ) for Phyllis and Zane get 7 T.HP
Aleith|DM: That's all you know.
Aleith|DM: Well, 5+5 psychic damage.
[OOC] Ernst: Oh it's an illusion pit okay.
[OOC] Ernst: I won't warweaver tether him then
Aleith|DM: Zane is….in range of that, yes.
[OOC] Ernst: If it was an actual pit I'd just teleport to him and shoot up at an eye but I don't think it is.
[OOC] Aleith|DM: KO!
Aleith|DM: Do you want to Think at the other Eye, Chandrasekhar, with your minor?
Chandrasekhar: "Mrityar ma amritam gamaya." He glances across the pit, chanting something. [Think Real Hard]
Chandrasekhar rolled d20+0 and got 11 ( Total: 11 )
[OOC] Aleith|DM: d20 + CHA mod + 1/2 level, +7 I think?
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: plus… some number? yeah
Aleith|DM: That hits Fort! It loses Thoughtform!
[OOC] Phyllis: 18 vs fort? hits, I think
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 28:Gerald | 23:Zane | 14:Eye of Madness B | 13:Phyllis | 10:Ernst | 7:Sliding Floor Trap | 6:Chandrasekhar |
Aleith|DM: Gerald!
[OOC] Ernst: Also I should have seen him fall FWIW since you skipped me and I would have broken the wall before the pit widened.
Aleith|DM: Oh right
Aleith|DM: Ernst!
Ernst shoots the wall for Gerald. "Let me get that for you." [Magic Weapon]
Ernst rolled 2#d20+13(1) and got 16 ( Total: 29.0 )
Also rolled 2#d20+13(2) and got 4 [Total: 17.0 (Low), Avg: 4.00]
Total: 46.0, Avg: 10.00
Ernst rolled 2d8+12 and got 4, 3 ( Total: 19.0 )
[OOC] Ernst: +3 dmg, +1 to hit
Aleith|DM: Hits! The section in front of Gerald breaks. The pit is only 2 squares wide at this point.
Gerald: "Right on."
Aleith|DM: Gerald!
[OOC] Gerald: BY which you mean the floor and then Chandra, right?
Aleith|DM: That happened, yes, which is why it's now your turn.
Aleith|DM: You saw Zane fall as the pit widened.
[OOC] Gerald: oh did fue hold an action or something? okay
Gerald‘ [Quarry] [Pew Pew]
Gerald` rolled 2#d20+10(1) and got 8 ( Total: 18 )
Also rolled 2#d20+10(2) and got 5 [Total: 15]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 33
Gerald` rolled 2#d20+10(1) and got 18 ( Total: 28 )
Also rolled 2#d20+10(2) and got 9 [Total: 19]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 47
Gerald` rolled 2d8+3 and got 3, 5 ( Total: 11 )
Aleith|DM: Misses! Hit! [11!]
Aleith|DM: Zane? you actually take the Psychic damage at the start of your turn (it’s basically ongoing).
Aleith|DM: You're falling, and the bottom is nowhere in sight.
[OOC] Zane: Well I certainly can't fly. Can I try to catch myself on a wall?
Aleith|DM: As the wall's a good 5 feet away from you, it doesn't seem like it.
[OOC] Phyllis: I uh. .. can you thoughtform a thing
[OOC] Ernst: Can't he just shoot an eye dangling over the cliff as he's falling
Aleith|DM: Well, he's out of range, right? The edge of the cliff is over a hundred feet away by now….or a thousand? Maybe right out of reach? Distant Madness makes it hard to tell.
Gerald: "Hey Zane are you still alive???"
Zane: "For now?!"
Phyllis peers down the cliff.
Gerald: "Okay just checking!"
Aleith|DM: It's a looooooooooooong way down.
Zane twists on the way down and fires an arrow up at the floating eye. Distant madness can kiss his ass!
Aleith|DM: -2 to the attack
Zane rolled d20+10 and got 9 ( Total: 19 ) for RBA
[OOC] Zane: damn. so close
[OOC] Phyllis: CA!
Chandrasekhar: "Hang in there! …figuratively speaking!" Chandra's -assuming- there's some mohya bullshit going on and Zane will be fine.
[OOC] Phyllis: From Mage Hand!
[OOC] Zane: oh shit! got it then!
Aleith|DM: …hit!
Zane rolled 2d8+6 and got 8, 2 ( Total: 16.0 ) for damage, attack finesse
Aleith|DM: Bloodied!
Aleith|DM: ….ah right.
Aleith|DM rolled d20+11 and got 18 ( Total: 29 )
Aleith|DM: A spear stabs out of the wall at Chandrasekhar! 12 damage and he's restrained! [Make a saving throw since I didn't trigger it when you moved there]
Chandrasekhar: "What th-"
Gerald: "Y'know as dumb as that magic vine barrier was,"
Chandrasekhar rolled 1d20 and got 13 ( Total: 13 ) for +whatever
[OOC] Phyllis: Is it a move action to move one square up the cliff or do I get full speed
Gerald: "I don't really regret not jumpin' in. Just, for the record."
Aleith|DM: Move action, like standing up from prone.
[OOC] Phyllis: mkay
Aleith|DM: Chandra manages to pry himself off the spear.
Aleith|DM: The eye floats away from the side of the pit and lands beside the wall, before sending a Horrid Hallucination towards Chandrasekhar!
Aleith|DM rolled d20+9 and got 8 ( Total: 17 ) for vs Will
Aleith|DM: But he shrugs it off!
Aleith|DM: Phyllis!
Phyllis clambers up the cliffside, then sends another pulse of magic from the Visions of Avarice [Sustain + secondary attack]. Then, she sends an [Illusory Assault] towards the remaining eye.
Phyllis rolled d20+11 and got 2 ( Total: 13.0 ) for vs will, just the pull from secondary attack
Aleith|DM: Miss!
Phyllis rolled d20+11 and got 14 ( Total: 25.0 ) for Illusory Assault, no CA
Aleith|DM: Hit!
Phyllis rolled d6+8 and got 4 ( Total: 12.0 )
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 12!
[OOC] Phyllis: Takes a -2 to-hit for next attack.
Aleith|DM: Ernst?
Ernst has his robot move closer to get a better view before firing a [Magic Weapon] at the Eye.
Ernst rolled 2#d20+14(1) and got 1 ( Total: 15.0 )
Also rolled 2#d20+14(2) and got 10 [Total: 24.0 (Low), Avg: 10.00]
Total: 39.0, Avg: 5.50
Ernst rolled d8+10 and got 2 ( Total: 12.0 )
Aleith|DM: Hit! [KO!]
Gerald: "So."
Aleith|DM: The pit widens again.
Phyllis: "Try to keep away from the walls."
Ernst tosses some rope down to Zane.
Gerald: "Good luck getting back here before you fall into the pit?"
Aleith|DM: Zane continues falling. Saves for Chandra and Phyllis?
Phyllis rolled d20 and got 13 ( Total: 13 )
Chandrasekhar rolled d20+0 and got 16 ( Total: 16 )
Gerald‘ does what he can and blast open a hole in the vine barrier on the other edge closer to Chandra, not having any real idea of how to stop it from opening up.
Aleith|DM: You manage to cling to the side. Zane, the rope reaches you and….coils up near you? Wisdom check.
Phyllis moves further back and tries to ascertain any source of magic in the area. [Detect Magic, Arcana standard?]
Zane rolled d20+3 and got 3 ( Total: 6 )
[OOC] Zane: not my strong suit
Aleith|DM: Oh. Well, you’re still falling. Take another 10 psychic damage.
Ernst: "God damn, man. Just grab the rope!"
Aleith|DM: Phyllis, wisdom check! There's definitely illusion magic.
Aleith|DM: +5 bonus to the check
Phyllis rolled d20+7 and got 20 ( Total: 27.0 )
Aleith|DM: It's an illusion, no doubts about it. The floor is completely solid.
Aleith|DM: Well, aside from a small seam running down the middle.
Phyllis: "Alright. Everyone take a deep breath and close your eyes."
Phyllis: "The floor's solid, and there's no pit."
Ernst: "Oh. Can we just close our eyes and walk straight?"
Phyllis: "Just try not to get close to the wallys."
Chandrasekhar: "Bull and furthermore shit but the -far wall- looks like it's forever away too so I'm just gonna… go with you on this one." Deep breath, closed eyes.
[OOC] Phyllis: Walls.
Gerald: "Haha."
Phyllis: Is just relaying that information enough, or…
Aleith|DM: Yeah, it's no longer combat.
Aleith|DM: Zane realizes he's lying on the ground, as does Chandrasekhar.
Ernst helps Gerald blast the other vine wall down before closing his eyes and walking across the room.
Zane: "Oh. Well. That… is much less horrifying."
Chandrasekhar stomps on the floor really hard after he opens his eyes, frowning.
Phyllis: "Look, I had nothing to do with making this one."
Aleith|DM: You have to break down the vine barrier on the other end, but it's not much effort for a couple of shotguns.
Gerald: "Wizards are assholes."
Phyllis dismisses her [Visions of Avarice.] Pay no attention to the big pile of [whatever the hell extradimensional terrors are attracted to.]
Aleith|DM: A miserable pile of emotions.
Aleith|DM: Let's leave it at that.
Ernst heals Gerald for 20. Zane for 22. He jacks a surge off of Zane and Chandra and takes a short rest unless there's enemies literally right here.
Aleith|DM: Oh, right, uh
Zane tops himself off.
Aleith|DM: You notice another pattern of seven concentric rings surrounding a central white stone, with a dot on the innermost ring, right in front of the area just through the door.
Chandrasekhar: "And that one's…" [Religion?]
Aleith|DM: There's a room that looks very similar to one back to the northwest…
Aleith|DM: Jiese, the plane of fire.
Chandrasekhar: "Ah, let's- let's not bring our marshmallows, let's avoid that entire scenario."
Aleith|DM: There's a branching tunnel to the west at the other end of that room, and there's similar symbol on the ground there.
Zane: "Hah."
Ernst: "Who wants to see what these do?"
Gerald: "Well, anyway."
Ernst claps his hand and his robot waddles over and steps on a symbol.
Phyllis sees if … she can take the white stone away. Maybe replace it for the other white stone in the other room? "
Gerald‘ just scooots into the room, looking around the side of the pillar.
Aleith|DM: Stepping on the symbol does nothing. The white stone is embedded in the ground pretty well.
Aleith|DM: Gerald: as soon as you step into the room, the air around it bursts into flames.
Aleith|DM rolled d20+9 and got 12 ( Total: 21 ) for vs Ref
Aleith|DM rolled 2d6+7 and got 2, 3 ( Total: 12.0 )
Aleith|DM: Hitting you for 12 fire damage
Aleith|DM: err, 6
Phyllis: But it did nothing for the robot, right?
Aleith|DM: I thought he meant the symbol in front of you that Ernst’s pog is on
Aleith|DM rolled d20+9 and got 3 ( Total: 12 ) for vs Ref
[OOC] Gerald: naw that's why stocke is way the ass down there haha
Aleith|DM: 6 damage for the robot as well.
Gerald‘ jumps way the fuck back then, clearly.
Gerald: "Alright fuck this place."
Aleith|DM: The air around the pillar explodes every several seconds.
Aleith|DM: (once per round, you might say)
Ernst: "Right. Looks like I’m timing a sprint."
Aleith|DM rolled d20+4 and got 11 ( Total: 15 )
Chandrasekhar: "Oh, that's your conclusion?"
Aleith|DM: On…init 15.
Chandrasekhar: "What was your first clue?"
Phyllis: "The dead archaeologists, for one."
Zane also times his run, darting to the southeast into the narrow corridor.
Aleith|DM: You manage to make it through before it explodes again.
Phyllis moves to the symbol in front of her. "Ernst, what if we stand on these at the same time?"
Ernst has his robot waddle into the next area while he's making his move. May as well see if he sets anything else off.
Gerald: "Uuugh I always hated this class at school."
Gerald‘ grumbles, waiting for the fire to go off again before sprinting after Ernst.
Aleith|DM: Zane: The tunnel you’re in seems roughly dug out, and not part of the temple proper. On the other side of the short tunnel you find a very similar looking room.
Ernst: "Well. There's two more red ones further south so it's hard to say."
Phyllis: "What… what class could you have possibly had that involved timing fire?"
Phyllis: "Other than the gym class from hell."
Gerald: "Trap avoidance."
Zane heaves a long-suffering sigh. "Yes, there is another flaming pillar down here."
Aleith|DM: Ernst: As you run past the room, you see another ring, this time with a dot on the fifth ring from the interior.
Ernst: "Gerald go step on one of the red buttons."
Aleith|DM: Stepping on the two red buttons near the currently-exploding pillar doesn't seem to stop it.
Gerald: "I mean, there's a way different world load at killing people college than there is at be a wizard and piss people off school."
Aleith|DM: Well, the patterns that represent Jiese, but close enough.
Gerald: "Man I'm definitely not directly stepping on a button."
Gerald: "Especially one that involves walking through another fire trap."
Aleith|DM: As Stocke steps into the hallway just past that new symbol, it seems to be getting crushed…?
Aleith|DM rolled d20+9 and got 7 ( Total: 16 ) for vs Fort
Aleith|DM rolled 2d6+7 and got 5, 2 ( Total: 14.0 )
Aleith|DM: Hitting Stocke for 7 force damage.
Gerald: "IT WASN'T FIRE IT WAS A COMPACTOR!"
Ernst: "God damnit my robot is getting hurt again. Sec."
Zane: "The floor symbols do not negate the rooms, they are simply warnings.
Phyllis: "Huh."
Ernst: "Yellow for compact. Red for fire."
Ernst: "In other words Gerald and I are wedged between two now."
Gerald: "This is one fucked temple."
Zane darts past the second pillar to stand by Stocke.
Chandrasekhar: "Each room's… gimmick… corresponds to a star. They're cautionary tales in the form of wacky ancient ruin traps."
Gerald‘ waits for the fire behind them to blast, then runs over towards the pathway Zane was still standing in.
Aleith|DM: The room explodes as you run through, Zane.
Aleith|DM rolled d20+9 and got 12 ( Total: 21 ) for vs Ref
Aleith|DM rolled 2d6+7 and got 3, 4 ( Total: 14.0 )
Phyllis: "Cautionary how, other than the obvious?"
Aleith|DM: Hitting you for 7 fire damage.
[OOC] Phyllis: can we just assume that we time a double move for the fire rooms by now
Aleith|DM: Yep
Ernst watches the yellow zone seeing if it ever stops.
[OOC] Phyllis: "oh look init 14, double move"
Aleith|DM: The fire stops after 5 minutes.
Aleith|DM: The yellow zone does as well, so about half a minute after that.
Chandrasekhar: "I mean, just in the obvious sense. Caution tape. ’Are you really sure you want to unseal this particular horrible hell dimension'."
Gerald‘ then darts back down past the other fire trap, glances at the entrances. "Good news! Garrett’s not dead and is still just zonked out by the stairs/
Phyllis: "Didn't stop whoever did the unsealing here."
Zane zips upward once the crushing field calms down.
Aleith|DM: Chandrasekhar: The fifth planet is Urim, obviously, the plane of earth.
Chandrasekhar: "Lack of imagination on their part. If you're trying to send a horrifying message with your ruins architecture, you have to think big."
Aleith|DM: (so the yellow one)
Chandrasekhar: "There was a symposium, once, on the sorts of things you'd have to do to construct a message that'd survive the aeons. Pity the ancients didn't attent."
Phyllis: "They had a good excuse."
Phyllis: "Being dead."
Chandrasekhar: "Anyways, I'm assuming the plane of earth just wants to crush us into a pulp, so… how do we get around that."
Chandrasekhar: "Fair enough."
Zane: "Hm. Another symbol here."
Aleith|DM: Zane: around the corner, you find another 7-circle pattern, this one with a dot in the second ring. Chandrasekhar mentioned that was Avilona, the plane of Air?
Phyllis: "I think Zane just did. More timing it right."
Aleith|DM: There's a long corridor, which seems like it probably links up with the first exploding room you found.
Aleith|DM: Probably.
Aleith|DM: Sometimes the hall seems 10 feet long and other times a mile.
Zane: "… I hate this place."
Chandrasekhar: "Not my favourite."
Phyllis waits for the pillars to raise again, as Zane did. Hopefully timing it right is enough to avoid getting crushed?
Ernst makes his way back to the only area he thinks is the right way to go.
Gerald: "I agree."
Gerald: "Man why were all those monsters even still alive in here? You'd think they'd of died form lack of food in the un. Centuries since this place got sealed up."
Aleith|DM: If you do it before they stop going off, yes.
Gerald: "Kind of impressive all these traps still work, on that note."
Aleith|DM: Otherwise…might have to trigger it again?
Ernst has his robot lead to set off the spears.
Zane: "Plane of air, here. And I can't tell how long the corridor is."
Chandrasekhar: "Do awful space monsters even need to eat?"
[OOC] Phyllis: Mage Hand] if they're motion-sensitive.
Phyllis: "I might be able to."
Gerald: "Well…"
Gerald: "It looked like it was trying to eat those fairgoers?" Gerald adds helpfully.
Aleith|DM: Ah, Gerald, I should mention, one of the spear traps in front of you is easily visible, since there's a desicated coprse stuck to one of the spears.
[OOC] Ernst: What is the thing I am pointing to I can't remember from last week.
[OOC] Aleith|DM: The golden seal with the constellation for Apet on it
Aleith|DM: Hmm yes I supposed conjurations set things off, too.
Aleith|DM: As the
Phyllis takes a look through the corridor Zane's in.
Phyllis isn't afflicted by Distant Madness, so … hopefully that helps?
Aleith|DM: As the Mage Hand moves down the corridor, a bunch of tiny needles fly through a bunch of holes you can now spot in the side of the tunnel. Every several seconds as usual. Just past that, a couple of spears stab at the hand, passing through it.
Aleith|DM: Further down the corridor, more spears, and then darts.
Aleith|DM: You can run through the dart fields if you time it.
Phyllis: "I think … I think these particular rooms only serve as alternate obstacles."
Phyllis: "I hate this place."
Ernst: "Where to, then?"
Zane grunts. "Say when, my eyes are telling me this hallways is betweenfifty feet and a quarter mile long."
Gerald: "Back home? Unless you wanna fuck with the gold plate thing with the inscriptions."
Phyllis: "I'm going to take another look at the seal again and study it a little more."
Phyllis times her sprints for when the needles briefly stop and gives Zane the signal for "When!"
Gerald: "All you."
Zane: "I'll go with her."
Phyllis: So on and so forth until the inscription room again.
Zane times his sprints until they are back at the inscription room.
Aleith|DM: Pretty much. The mage hand can set things off for you so you can time it.
Aleith|DM: The darts seem to be set off by pressure plates, unlike the other traps, however. So there's that…?
Phyllis takes another look at the warding circle, studying and pondering what would be necessary to reinstitute it. If she has the means now, great; if not, can she at least estimate what it'd take? [Arcana?]
Aleith|DM: Okay. Back at the seal room. Welcome mat, dead bodies, damaged warding circle, golden seal that's taller than Zane.
Aleith|DM: You don't think you can fix it, to be honest.
Phyllis: Hm. Determine when it was broken, at least?
Aleith|DM: Ernst, Chandrasekhar, Gerald: Heading to the seal room, or back to the entrance?
Aleith|DM: Relatively recently. Likely when the expedition was here or afterwards.
Ernst may as well head to the sealing room. He can probably help Phyllis.
Gerald‘ just hangin’ at the entrance, timing explosions and running through halls isn't fun without depth perception.
Phyllis: Thought so. Probably afterwards, given the tiefling benefactor's visit.
Ernst snaps his fingers as his similcrum flies back to him.
Chandrasekhar followed Phyllis just in case; Garrett probably would have warned them if anything bad was happening at the entrance.
Phyllis: "So, apart from being able to tell the seal here was broken recently…"
Phyllis: "I wonder if there's something similar at the spot indicated on the map in the other room."
Phyllis: "The one that seemed to point at a location off the coast of Ber. I think."
Zane: "In Bers? I plan to take a vacation and find out. Or better yet, do it officially as the good doctors escorts."
Chandrasekhar: "Think we can beat 'em to that one? Not sure what we'd want to do even if we did, since… I doubt we could make the seal any more secure than this temple did, not against the sort of magic they seem to have."
Gerald: "Same really." Talking across distances is easy with walkie talkie feathers.
Zane: "With the head start they already have? Almost certainly not. The best we can hope for I think is to find them still there."
Phyllis nods at Zane.
Gerald: "By which I mean, I'm not really sure what we'd do there other than hate orcs a little bit more."
Phyllis flips open a comically large tome and walks out and to the west. "In any case, I'm going to at least make a copy of the map."
Aleith|DM: Phyllis: You only looked at the warding scheme. Not going to examine the golden seal closely? Heading to the map room? Okay.
Aleith|DM: You make a copy of the map.
Phyllis also looks at the golden seal because that's something plausible for the -character- to do even if the -player- didn't realize they needed to specifically state it past general observation of the room.
Aleith|DM: Perception check.
Phyllis puts on her good reading glasses.
Phyllis rolled d20+5 and got 2 ( Total: 7.0 )
Aleith|DM: Well, if you're getting THAT close…
Zane can help! he's actually trained in that.
Phyllis … waves someone else over.
Aleith|DM: There's cracks in the gold…?
Zane rolled d20+8 and got 20 ( Total: 28 )
Aleith|DM: It looks like it was painted over, actually.
Aleith|DM: The whole slab seems to be made of stone, and covered in gold paint from a long time ago. So long ago that it's now flaking off.
Aleith|DM: It doesn't even radiate magic.
Zane: "… I'm not… Hm." And he whips out a dagger for a long scrape. "It's painted stone."
Phyllis tilts her head, then retrieves the staff, briefly channeling magic through it. "Try the same thing on this, while it's golden."
Zane does so!
Aleith|DM: It doesn't flake off. Defintiely feels like gold.
You hear a faint trickling sound coming from the door. Some dark fluid is slowly pouring into the room, just an inch deep now, but swelling to ankle deep with an alarming speed. As the water crosses over the threshold it carries away the rug, revealing a glowing icon of concentric rings beneath.
At the same time, the corpses on the ground twitch, open their eyes, and fix them on you.
Zane: "…"
Phyllis: " - Gerald get the hell back here."
Gerald: "What did you do."
Aleith|DM: Gerald: The mummies in the room struggle against their bonds, and break free.
Gerald: "Oh."
Gerald: "You raised the dead."
Gerald: "…Why did you raise the dead?"
Phyllis: "
Chandrasekhar: "Why not?"
Phyllis: "It wasn't on purpose!"
Gerald: "Well I mean there's like."
Gerald: "Three motherfuckers right here and Garrett is still zonked."
Phyllis: "There's eight here."
Gerald: "Hmm. three me, eight you four…"
Gerald: "Gemme a minute."
Gerald‘ cocks his shotgun.
Phyllis: "Though I don’t think they'll last if we just run through the obstacles."
Chandrasekhar cracks his knuckles. The dead should stay dead.
Phyllis looks at the others. "That sounds like the best plan, right?"

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License