Zg Session 16

After the climactic defeat of Macbannin and his mysterious suicide in custody, smart investigators might rightfully conclude that the case isn't closed. That was certainly the opinion of your supervisor, Assistant Chief Inspector Stover Delft, who wanted you turning over every stone to get to the bottom of the mystery.
Unfortunately, his boss, Lady Inspectress Margaret Saxby, is head of the Royal Homeland Constabulary in Flint, and she has ordered you off the case. She claimed she had missions 'more suited to your talents,' but all she’s done is assign you banal investigations and busy work.
Delft grumbled and fought for you, but everyone knows what motivates the Lady Inspectress. She has her eye on politics, and she's ended the careers of more than a few constables who got too much positive press too fast. Lady Saxby's in charge here, and you're just supposed to take orders. When reporters show up, you're to politely suggest they talk with the Lady Inspectress.
Don't worry. Delft assures you that it will all blow over in a month or two.
No use arguing, anyway. Another squad is on the Macbannin case. Your job, for the next month, is to be a gang of glorified security guards.
The Kaybeau Armament and Technology Exposition has come to Flint. The outdoor festival showcases amateur inventors and giants of the new industrial revolution as they display their creations with great pomp and spectacle. Everywhere you turn there’s another pavilion boasting of the latest miracle of technology, from precision ballistics, to steam-powered armor, to clockwork pianos that play themselves. Vendors and fair-goers of all nations and races cram the aisles to see wonders once limited to the workshops of wizards and the vaults of kings.
It is hot, crowded, and littered with experimental weapons. What could possibly go wrong?
The police are charged with mundane concerns, like pickpockets and rowdy drunks, but it's up to you constables to look for greater threats, such as arms smuggling, espionage, and foreign spies, all of whom may use the fair as cover for their activities.
You're to coordinate your efforts with Sergeant Sara Lockheart, lead officer on site from the Flint Police. Each day, from the crack of dawn until the afternoon rains disperse the crowds, your job is to make sure everything is orderly. The Chief Inspectress never explicitly gave the order, but Delft recommends you try your damnedest to keep out of the papers.
Zane: (sweet zombie jesus OK reading backscroll)
Aleith|DM: Fall 1st, 500 AOV
Zane: "Whats the point of a piano that plays itself? Then you don't get to admire the soul of the musician."
Gerald: "Um the point is that it's cool as fuck?"
Phyllis: "Is there not such beauty in the soul of an inventor?"
Gerald: "Like holy cow everything here is totally amazing, this is a pretty good gig."
Chandrasekhar: "But you get to admire the soul of the craftsman who built it, Zane! Besides, this sort of thing could let hundreds of people enjoy a piece of music, at their leisure, who'd never otherwise get the chance." Yeah, the Eladrin's arguing the pro-shiny-technology side. This is that kind of crew.
Garrett‘ casually steps around a knick-knack table.
Garrett: "Just don’t buy the versions that are powered by souls-"
Garrett: "With an actual spirit playing them."
Garrett‘ is still the tiniest bit sore that they’re not on the case.
Zane nods at Phyllis and Singh. "Sure, its impressive. But there's no variation. No difference in technique. No soul. Unless its run on witch oil. And at that point I stop caring about the music anyway."
Gerald: "That would be decidedly less cool."
Chandrasekhar: "Show me a machine that can -sing- as well as I can, and I'll be really impressed, though. And then buy fifty of them and set them to a complex harmonic recital of the Elegies for the public." Singh's sore too, but on the other hand he's actually enjoying this gig. It's certainly -one- way to have the chance to enjoy the Exposition.
Zane: "Steam pipes."
Zane nods.
Zane has been quietly igonring the shit out of Saxby's instructions… and getting nowhere regardless. He is a little pissed.
Aleith|DM: I suppose you guys have been checking out the tent for Liontamer Mechanical Orchestra, then, near the center.
Aleith|DM: The tall, wise-cracking owner of this tent builds crank-powered musical instruments that play themselves, from simple music boxes to his showpiece 'orchestra,' which has a piano, four violins (each playing just one string), a small drum set, and bellows that pump air through bassoons and oboes.
Ernst honestly seems happy to have a bit of 'downtime' even if he is pretty sure they were being put over here to not dig too deep into things.
Chandrasekhar will -always- wind up gravitating towards the musical instruments, yeah.
Gerald‘ couldn’t care less, it got them into the fair at no cost. It's a win in his book, honestly, and he's been excited the entire time they've been here and is probably focusing on the displays a little more than he should be.
Zane: "We should get an orchestra for the station. Set it to play the doom march every time Saxby walks in."
Chandrasekhar laughs! "I'll orchestrate it for you."
Phyllis seems a little bored, but almost finds it adorable how people are trying to do things that magic's been able to do for ages the 'hard way.'
Aleith|DM: Sergeant Lockheart meets up with you by the recently completed Kaybeau Subrail Station at the center of the expo, about two miles southwest of RHC headquarters. "You must be the constables.
Zane tips his hat. Its a nice hat. "Zane Bieito."
Garrett: "I don't normally make it a practice to be that obvious."
Garrett: "How do you do."
Chandrasekhar has already had the whole 'not everyone can attain skill with the arcane!!!' argument with Phyllis at least sixty times and so they've just stared at each other warily and then started laughing, at least twice so far. "Indeed we are, Sergeant."
Lockheart: "Sara Lockheart. Your boss was kind enough to give a descrpition."
Ernst nods to Lockheart.
Phyllis: "Evening."
Phyllis: "Or afternoon. Or -"
Phyllis: "I suppose I have no excuse, there's most likely a clock around here somewhere."
Chandrasekhar: "Don't you have some… magic trick that-"
Chandrasekhar wisely stops.
Garrett: "Any problems observed from your end, Sergeant?"
Phyllis sharply inhales and gives Chandra a mild glare.
Lockheart: "Nothing yet, but the expo just started. I know it's not exciting but the expo could provide cover for all kinds of things. The Station here's at the centre of the park. The three large tents nearby are for the Military, the Railroad, and Industry. There's about twenty larger tents in a rough ring around them, and various smaller tents. We should have most of those covered, when it comes to handling the rabble and any sort of petty theft or vandalism."
Lockheart: "I don't have any concrete leads, but it's likely anything more major would go on in the peripheral tents and booths further out."
Chandrasekhar grins briefly at Phyllis before turning his attention to Lockheart. "Any particular let's-not-call-them-suspects-but-that's-what-we-mean?"
Aleith|DM: It's morning, by the way. The expo usually clears out late afternoon when the afternoon rains start.
Lockheart: "Well, I mean there's the usual suspects. Random criminal enterprises, the larger ones like the Kell-Guild and the Family, eco-terrorists…"
Garrett: "Just a way of life, isn't it.
Lockheart: "I'll let you know if we come up with anything on our end, but you should probably take a look around and familiarize yourselves with the expo's layout."
Phyllis pauses to look at Garrett, considering.
Zane: "I wonder if the metalshaper is going to show up. That could get amusing real quick."
Gerald: "My only regret with that,"
Gerald: "Is that we didn't see the look on his face when he dropped the gate and realized we were gone."
Garrett‘ snickers.
Zane: "Yeah. I’d have given a month of your pay to have been there for that."
Chandrasekhar: "True."
Garrett: "Right, we'll keep our eyes open."
Gerald‘ nods.
Garrett: "Gonna find a box that’s perpetually cold and test it out."
Gerald: "It's not *that* hot out yet."
Zane: "Mac's gonna kill you if he hears you're chilling his best dark, Garrett."
Garrett‘ grins at Gerald and then nods in Zane’s direction.
Garrett: "He's got it."
Autumn is the start of the rainy season in Risur. The first week usually just has rainy afternoons, but by the end of the month it's almost always at least drizzling. Temperatures hover between 70 and 90.
Sergeant Lockheart nods to you all. "I'll leave you to it, then," she says, before heading off to coordinate her people.
Gerald: "Oh."
Phyllis: "As she said, we should probably take a look around. Smaller groups, or a roaming pack?"
Garrett‘ takes a step back, intentionally between the shoulders of two random people. There’s a 'whooooooooooo….' sound and he fades away.
Zane chuckles. "Well then."
Phyllis: "… I think that answers that question."
Chandrasekhar: "Showoff. Or… the opposite, I suppose."
Gerald: "What happened? I wasn't paying attention."
Zane: "Garrett ditched us."
Gerald: "Oh. Cool he's the only one that'll get yelled at for messing with booze then."
Gerald‘ glances around. "…Lets go check out the funnel cakes next!"
Zane: "I like the way you think."
Chandrasekhar: "Human festival food is so strange."
Aleith|DM: There are various food stands scattered around the expo. There’s even a few serving more 'exotic' food from other nations if you hunt for them.
Phyllis nods at Zane. "You stick with him, I'm going to see specifically about weaponry."
Gerald: "Oh man I definitely want to check out that exibit on the guns on tripods later too. But first, cakes!"
Aleith|DM: The Military tent has large display inside, if that's what you're talking about. Officers guide guests through small models of famous battles, each with progressing levels of technology. A small museum showcases weapons and armor, trying to win propaganda points by presenting firearms as if they’re a natural development, while offering only brief mentions of magic in combat.
Aleith|DM: One massive installation displays the cross-section of a scaled-down R.N.S. Coaltongue. For a gold piece, a visitor can fire a cannon into the outer hull. A small field is littered with flattened cannonballs.
Aleith|DM: Otherwise, many of the peripheral tents in the northern section near the outdoor stage feature various firearms and the like.
Aleith|DM: Some tents can be found with more traditional magic items as well.
Chandrasekhar resists the overwhelming urge to 'hey, Phyllis'. Repeatedly.
Zane detours by the food tents with Gerald. "… Oh my god they have gazpacho." Which means, snortly thereafter, Zane has gazpacho.
Ernst seems to still be keeping to himself. He glances at the others from time to time.
Phyllis tilts her head at the displays. She realizes she has no idea how to gauge any of this as unusual. It may be prudent to rely on Gerald and Ernst's knowledge instead. Still, the most dangerous stuff lately has seemed to mix magic and technology. The booths, if she's not mistaken, don't seem to have cross-bred as such.
Aleith|DM: There…are a couple in the northern section. The really interesting firearms are there
Phyllis: Ah, well then.
Gerald: "What the heck is gazpacho?" Gerald's probably getting one too, if Zane's excited about it.
Phyllis: … still, she'll wait for the others!
Zane: "A kind of soup. Here."
Zane passes Gerald a bowl of cold tomato soup with lots of seasonings and diced vegetables.
Gerald‘ gives it a dubious look for a moment, "Cold soup? I that would make it easier to serve during a fair though." A half shrug, then he starts drinking it down.
Aleith|DM: There’s a tent run by a couple of gnome twins, who introduce themselves ad Fildi and Dilfi, who decided to combine their two favourite things: badgers and guns. When fired, it summons a badger who launches through the air and latches onto your target.
Zane chuckles. "Yes, cold soup. And nowhere in this entire city have I found a place that really makes it right." He sips from his bowl. "This is pretty close though."
Gerald: "It's not ba - wait hold up did you just hear those people we just passed by say something about a gun that shoots badgers? We're making a detour."
Zane: "… Yes, we are."
Gerald: "This is going to be completely stupid or totally amazing, maybe both."
Zane: "My money is on 'probably just really stupid, but it'll be worth a laugh'."
Phyllis raises an eyebrow. That's piqued her interest. Plus, what's with gnomes and badgers?
Gerald: "Yeah, probably."
Fildi: "We got the bright idea to pair badgers with guns!"
Dilfi: "So when you shoot it, a badger launches out and latches onto your target!"
Chandrasekhar: "….what."
Fildi: "If you want to try it, Ol' Man Lammers runs a shooting range across from us!"
Gerald: "How much alchol was involved in the idea pitch?"
Gerald: "Oh man, do I ever."
Garrett‘ pretty much stumbles from a nearby crowd of people and ambles up to the group.
Garrett: "I heard ’shooting badgers, no not in that way' and had to come see this."
Aleith|DM: There's a reinforced hill across the lane from them, which an old war veteran missing half his lower jaw, Timothy Lammers, is letting people use to test fire it.
Ernst smirks to himself. For some reason he can see Gerald actually trying to use this in live combat.
[OOC] Aleith|DM: Fildi and Dilfi's shop is #5 on the freshly-revealed map, and the shooting range is #3
Gerald: "(Wonder if he lost that in the war or from a badger misfire…)"
Gerald‘ heads across the street to go inspect the weapon!
Aleith|DM: Make a ranged attack with a +1 rifle!
Gerald: "So how exactly do the badgers even come out, it’s like, magic or something…?" Takes a stance while getting a feel for the rifle, takes a minute or two to ai, then pulls the trigger.
Gerald‘ rolled d20+10 and got 6 ( Total: 16 )
Aleith|DM: Daily Free action when you hit a target. You hit one of the outer rings with that shot.
Aleith|DM: Sadly it doesn’t actually shoot a badger, just summons one if you want when you hit a target.
Zane: "I feel kinda let down by this."
Gerald: "…Oh. That's way less interesting than expected but also a lot more useful."
Garrett‘ frowns.
Gerald: "Especially if you can replace the badger with grenades! Although being able to send in like,"
Aleith|DM: Reloading and taking another shot, or using the free action?
Gerald: "A ferret or cat or something to scout around for you in a building with a perimiter could be useful too."
Phyllis: "Do you do this kind of thing a lot? Or is it … just the badgers."
Gerald` pushes the other button to summon badger, just to see how bad the delay on it is.
Garrett: "We already have that kinda thing though don’t we?"
Garrett: "Just not… part of a gun?"
Chandrasekhar waits for it.
Aleith|DM: It appears just after you push it, the badger materializing in mid-air and latching onto the target where your bullet hits.
Gerald: "Oh yeah just. You know, Thinking of practical use cases."
Zane: "OK, that is *still* pretty funny."
Gerald: "God imagine shooting that at some kind of mob boss though and then suddenly, badger on his face. Haha."
Zane: "But not as funny as shooting the badger at them would have been."
Aleith|DM: It kinda hangs there, then savages the target a bit for [5!] damage at initiative 0.
Gerald: "Yeah."
Ernst scratches at his chin. "I wonder if I could put my token in one of these and launch my robot and have it assemble in midair."
Gerald: "Consider a sling shot, in my opinion."
Gerald‘ hands the rifle back to the guy manning the exibit.
Fildi: "So how’d you like it? It's 680 gold for the regular model, 3400 for the enhanced one." (+1 and +2)
Dilfi: "We Gale likes you though, so you can get it for 20% off."
Gerald: "It's neat! I'm totally broke though, so."
Dilfi: "Feel free to come back on payday!" Fildi nods sagely.
Gerald: "The base idea seems pretty solid, I think you might have a market if you could find a way to let it choose between a couple different things to summon."
Fildi: "Really? Hmmm."
Dilfi: "But everyone loves badgers!"
Fildi: "We'll think about it."
Gerald: "Well, other than the one getting maulled, of course." Gerald smiles.
Aleith|DM: The tent beside this one is run by a goliath, and seems to have….several guns attached to each other?
Aleith|DM: Ernst, the stall just a bit further away seems to have some kind of large contraption…a bit like yours, but on a much larger scale.
Ernst is super serious all the time. Seems he's still scouting around being all paranoid rather than playing games.
Gerald‘ is more than willing to slack off enough for the entire group, though. :D
Garrett` resumes crowdwatching, but hangs closer to the group.
Zane is definitely keeping an eye out for people acting suspicious, but be damned if he’s not enjoying his gazpacho while he's at it.
Phyllis has long since turned her attention elsewhere, yes. Like … what's in stall #7?
Aleith|DM: There's a small group of engineers from Danor, led by a halfling named Alloquicious, with some new kind of armour, one that uses steam power to enhance the wearer's stength, speed, and resilience. Unfortunately it's experiencing technical difficulties, but Alloquicious is itching to test out the arm-mounted flame-spewer.
Gerald: "That is cool super cool and also definitely not something I would ever wear because hahah oops someone hit the boiler tank and now you're exploded."
[OOC] Gerald: both super cool^
Ernst scoffs. He could totally develop a better suit than that.
Zane: "I think… I am actually slightly grateful for the technical difficulties."
Gerald: "Oh?"
Zane: "Arm-mounted flame-spewer."
Garrett: "We're constables, not firemen!" He tries not to say that too loudly.
Gerald: "Ah, yeah I guess."
Ernst sighs and makes his way over to the stall. He gestures to the cabling for the flame-spewer and tells them exactly what they're doing wrong.
Gerald: "Way more obvious if someone's messing with it than a bomb would be though or even just… you know, a simple fire field spell."
Zane: "And people getting lit on fire is a criminal offense."
Aleith|DM: Alloquicious takes a look. "I can't believe we missed that. Thanks, constable!" His team starts working to fix the problem.
Phyllis: "We've done enough arson prevention for the year."
Garrett‘ looks at Ernst, opens his mouth, pauses, closes it.
Aleith|DM: A dwarven gentleman nearby asks, "ah, you must be the constables that were in the papers this Summer. And in the Spring…?"
Chandrasekhar: "I was about to say, there’s probably a spell for setting fires much more efficiently than what they've got going on here. Surprised Phyllis didn't beat me to it."
Zane: "Nope, definitely not us."
Ernst gives a curt nod before glancing at the dwarf. He just keeps on walking
Gerald: "Yup! We're super good and competent and popular, but don't mention us around the boss lady."
Garrett: "You must be thinking of some other dashing, handsome rogues. And Gerald."
Gerald: "What's up?"
Aleith|DM: The dwarf blonde hair with a close-cropped beard, and a large rifle on his back with the stock carved from bone. "I'm Kvarti Gorbatiy."
Garrett‘ sorta pauses but shakes his head. "Ah, nothin."
Ernst slides up to Zane before muttering under his breath. "(That dwarfs gun has a stock carved from bone and has infernal writing all over it. ’Cry out / for at the end of time / I rise.' along the shaft. Forboding?)"
Chandrasekhar doesn't acknowledge Garrett with a sympathetic look and a shrug, because that'd be giving him away.
Kvarti: "Do you think the former mayor was content with his life at the end?"
Gerald‘ extends a hand. "Gerald Cooper."
Gerald: "And uh no I imagine he was most definitely not content with dying to take the fall for someone else."
Kvarti reaches out to shake your hand. "
Gerald: "I find most people wind up bitter about that."
Gerald` gives a firm shake.
Garrett: "He lived high enough on the hog before that though, so it evens out."
Kvarti arches an eyebrow. "Really? That didn’t make it into the papers."
Phyllis regards Kvarti with some trepidation. "I do not."
Zane nods slightly at Ernst. "(Good eye. Thanks.)
Gerald: "I mean, on going investigation and all,"
Gerald: "But no one with even hafl decent investigation skills would ever think he wanted to kill himself there."
Phyllis: "What was in the papers? I disregarded your question because I've been mired in personal research as of late."
Kvarti: "Well, one might figure he wanted to end it all before having his reputation dragged through the mud during the trial. If he was in charge of everything, as the papers seemed to say. But you think there was something more? The papers didn't go into great detail of everything that he was involved with."
Kvarti: "Probably due to the aforementioned ongoing investigation, I'm sure."
Chandrasekhar: "Quite."
Gerald: "He was like, super confident he was going to get off scott free, for what it's worth."
Ernst watches the dwarf carefully. Were they being tested here?
Gerald: "Why do you ask?"
Zane rubs the bridge of his nose. "Gerald."
Kvarti: "Mostly just curious, since I've read about you in the papers."
Gerald: "It's cool, this guy seems legit."
Gerald: "You're legit, right?"
Kvarti: "More of a hired man, to be honest. It's a living."
Garrett: "Solid testimony."
Zane: "Right."
Gerald: "With someone at the show? S'nice rifle ya got."
Kvarti: "Thank you. Just browsing by myself, actually. More of a shotgun person yourself?"
Gerald‘ actually only has a rifle slung over his back! There’s no shotgun on him.
Aleith|DM: Ah, of course.
Kvarti: "I see you've also customized your rifle with a magazine." He gestures to the one built into his.
Phyllis: "There is currently only speculation about the late mayor's motives behind his erratic actions leading to his death."
Gerald: "Oh, yeah. It's a pain having to reload after every shot, especially when your buddies on the ground are all, 'hey gerald, where's our cover fire. gerald people are stabbing me, what's the hold up'
Gerald: blah blah blah. " He nods sagely.
Ernst: "I've never heard any of us say that ever." He remarks flatly.
Kvarti: "Of course." He nods sagely back. "
Zane: "Its true, I am a terrible whiner."
Gerald: "You're *thinking* it though!"
Phyllis: "I think I did once. But it may have come out a little garbled."
Phyllis: "Due to the stabbing."
Aleith|DM: Kvarti turns to Phyllis. "Of course. I'm sure you'll come to the truth of things eventually, and bring an end to the questions."
Chandrasekhar: "I just glare, personally."
Phyllis: "How many more questions will such a truth bring up, though? There is no end to inquiry, only satiation on our parts."
Kvarti: "If he is involved in some greater conspiracy, it will only bring more, true."
Aleith|DM: Screams erupt from a crowd of fairgoers not far from the stage as they run in panic. As they pass, horrid monsters that could only exist in nightmares pursue them. One massive creature is nothing more than a ring of flesh and bone, with teeth pointed inward, and lashing tentacles extending outward. The tentacles have already grasped one bystander—a young dwarf—and he dangles in the air. It looks like it could swallow a man whole, though it has no throat, just a gaping maw.
Aleith|DM: Two smaller monsters buzz about the sky, like fleshy dragonflies the size of a man, with sleek bodies and elephant-like trunks that end in sharp beaks. The skin of all three monsters shifts from a brown-dappled ivory to a glassy translucence, as if they can't decide whether they're solid or not.
Aleith|DM: A human male with long blond hair stands amidst the chaos, holding a solid gold staff in his right hand. He fires a magic missile from the staff, and a moment later a third dragonfly-beast materializes beside him.
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 29:Flying Thing B | 23:Zane | 21:Worm Maw | 19:Flying Thing C | 15:Garrett | 13:Gerald | 12:Flying Thing A | 9:Chandra | 9:Ernst | 9:Phyllis | 8:Kvarti Gorbatiy | 5:Rock Rackus | 0:Simon Langfield |
Gerald: "I knew it was going to be magic and not tech that ruined everything!"
Phyllis glares between Kvarti and the mage. "Is he with you?"
Gerald: "Hey Kvarti are you with us or that asshole with the wand?"
Garrett: "You see- firing dragonflies is a little better than badgers!"
Kvarti takes a careful look as he takes his rifle out. "Looks to me like the mage is not in control of them.
Case in point, the farthest dragonfly swoops down closer to the mage. The flying thing’s wings hum with energy, and then a pair of rays cut towards him, combining into a coruscating beam of light and darkness. [Ray of Dark and Light]
Aleith|DM rolled d20+9 and got 10 ( Total: 19 ) for vs Ref
Aleith|DM rolled d8+4 and got 7 ( Total: 11.0 )
Gerald: "Huh. That's definitely a horrible spot to be standing if you're not in control of eldritch horrors, yeah."
Aleith|DM: Simon takes 11 necrotic/radiant damage, and ongoing 5 psychic damage (save ends)!
Phyllis: Well, if worst comes to worst, he'll live. [that unnamed Eschatologist feature!]
Aleith|DM: The Flying Thing seems to appear solid now, no longer insubstantial.
Aleith|DM: Zane?
[OOC] Zane: was that thing C?
Aleith|DM: C is the one that just appeared.
Aleith|DM: B is the one that just zapped the mage. And is solid.
[OOC] Zane: aha, thank you
Zane side-steps and a bow materializes from underneath his grey rain cloak. He puts an arrow into Flying Thing B. [RBA]
Zane rolled d20+11 and got 19 ( Total: 30 )
Aleith|DM: Hit!
Zane rolled 2d8+6 and got 3, 3 ( Total: 12.0 )
Chandrasekhar: "And this is why they keep us around." He frowns- unspeakable horrors erupting from midair becoming routine may not be a good sign, but here we are. "
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 12!
Aleith|DM: Waves of light roll down the tentacle holding the young dwarf grabbed by the Worm Maw. The dwarf falls limp in its grasp [Dying].
Gerald‘ winces.
Aleith|DM: A dozen small tentacles hold the maw off the ground, but it has a dozen more trying to coil around Zane. [Grasping Tentacles]
Aleith|DM rolled d20+9 and got 5 ( Total: 14 ) for vs Ref
Aleith|DM: But Zane dodges out of the way.
Zane was not expecting to have that much reach, ye gods.
Aleith|DM: Ah, yes, that could have easily been an OA
Aleith|DM: But was its standard action
Aleith|DM: wait no, it doesn’t have Threatening Reach
Aleith|DM: You're okay-ish.
Aleith|DM: Flying Thing C flits around Simon before firing a Ray of Dark and Light at Chandrasekhar!
Aleith|DM rolled d20+9 and got 6 ( Total: 15 ) for vs Ref
Aleith|DM: but misses!
Aleith|DM: Garrett?
[OOC] Garrett: are the cannons difficult terrain
Aleith|DM: Sort of. The Flying Thing is currently flying above it. They can support you but it's an extra move to climb atop them, though you'll be 5 feet higher up
Aleith|DM: Extra square of movement to climb onto them.
Garrett‘ slides up to Flying Thing B and begins his attack! [Opening Move]
Garrett` rolled 1d20+13 and got 15 ( Total: 28 ) for ac
Aleith|DM: Inside the booths is basically difficult terrain though, from all of the items scattered around.
Aleith|DM: Hit!
Aleith|DM: I should probably point out that the Flying Thing didn’t actually fly out the entrance-it just flew through the tent wall.
[OOC] Aleith|DM: Phasing
Garrett‘ rolled 2d4+8 and got 2, 4 ( Total: 14 )
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 14!
Garrett` watches his own back. [+5 AC/Ref UEoNT]
Aleith|DM: Gerald?
[OOC] Garrett: hm wait
Garrett` [Minor Action], he cuts across the wings of the Flying thing B! [Low Slash] [even though it’s flying yes]
Garrett‘ rolled 1d20+13 and got 2 ( Total: 15 ) for vs ref
Aleith|DM: Miss!
[OOC] Garrett: ok continue
Gerald` marks B as his [Quarry] before unloading a [Twin Strike] into it.
After pulling a shotgun basically out of thin air as far as anyone else is concerned, obviously.
Gerald` rolled 2#d20+11(1) and got 12 ( Total: 23 )
Also rolled 2#d20+11(2) and got 10 [Total: 21]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 44
Gerald` rolled 2#d20+11(1) and got 8 ( Total: 19 )
Also rolled 2#d20+11(2) and got 10 [Total: 21]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 40
Kvarti arches an eyebrow upon seeing this.
Aleith|DM: 2 Hits! 1 Hit!
Gerald` rolled 3d8+3 and got 1, 7, 6 ( Total: 17 )
d8+3: 3 [Total: 6]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 23
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 23!] Bloodied!
Gerald` then dashes across the field to get into a different location and take a better survey of the area.
Chandrasekhar: "I don’t know where he keeps it and I'm afraid to ask."
Phyllis: "I can think of at least fifteen arcane methods of such storage."
Phyllis: "I just haven't prepared any myself."
Aleith|DM: Flying Thing A swoops at Phyllis, swinging its elephantine trunk back, then slams the beak-tip into her with horrible force. [Trunk and Beak]
Aleith|DM rolled d20+11 and got 2 ( Total: 13 )
Gerald: "Phyllis is always taking the mystery out of things."
Aleith|DM: But misses!
Aleith|DM: Cnadra? Ernst? Phyllis?
Chandrasekhar
Ernst tosses a token to his side as his robot automatically assembles. He and his robot move across the field before he slaps down a [Punishing Eye] in the center of the 'Flying Thing' triangle. ((Someone place that for me thx))
Gerald: "Hmm I don't… see anything else beside these four… yet, anyway."
[OOC] Phyllis: don't move there JUST yet teak though
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: okay so where -can- I move
[OOC] Phyllis: I guess Aleith can figure out "I take my turn first because we tie initiative"
Aleith|DM: Yes
[OOC] Phyllis: there
[OOC] Phyllis: nm we're good
[OOC] Ernst: He just doesn't want to hit you with CC you go at the same time.
Aleith|DM: I don't know why my tracker decided to put three of you on the same init, but here we are
Chandrasekhar darts in past Garrett and strikes Thing C with [Valorous Smite].
Chandrasekhar rolled d20+10 and got 10 ( Total: 20 )
Chandrasekhar rolled 2d8+5 and got 3, 1 ( Total: 9 ) for each enemy within 3 squares subject to divine sanction until the end of my next turn!
Aleith|DM: Okay, I will resolve that after Phyllis acts
[OOC] Ernst: Eye +4
Phyllis places her [Mage Hand] by the Maw and two flying things, then hits the flying things with a flash of light. [Color Spray] Finally, she decides to take the maw out of commission for a while, or at least turn its attention somewhere else useful. [Move->Minor, Glib Tongue] [AP->Charm of Misplaced Wrath]
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: Garrett if anything attacks you lemme know and I can swap with you and take the hit and get CA against whatever hit you »
[OOC] Garrett: OK
Phyllis rolled 2#d20+11(1) and got 2 ( Total: 13.0 ) for CA against B and C, still rolling different numbers for other targets
Also rolled 2#d20+11(2) and got 20 [Total: 31.0 (High), Avg: 20.00]
Total: 44.0, Avg: 11.00
Aleith|DM: Miss, crit!
Phyllis rolled 2#d20+9(1) and got 6 ( Total: 15.0 ) for No CA against A and Simon, also vs Will
Also rolled 2#d20+9(2) and got 3 [Total: 12.0 (Low), Avg: 3.00]
Total: 27.0, Avg: 4.50
Aleith|DM: Both misses!
Phyllis rolled d6+5+4 and got 1 ( Total: 10.0 ) for Dazed UEoPNT, Mostly radiant damage except the 4 psychic tacked on the end
[OOC] Phyllis: actually wait crit jsldkj
[OOC] Phyllis: Tack on another 6
Aleith|DM: 6 radiant damage and 4 psychic damage to Flying Thing C!
Phyllis rolled d20+13 and got 12 ( Total: 25.0 ) for CA + Glib Tongue for Charm of Misplaced Wrath on the Worm Maw
Aleith|DM: Hit!
Phyllis: Can it hit Thing B from there?
Aleith|DM: Reach 3, yes
Aleith|DM: Or a close burst 1, but only Chandrasekhar is in that
Phyllis: MBA with +2 to damage then! And dazed UEoPNT.
Phyllis: … is the close burst a basic attack?
Aleith|DM: yes
[OOC] Ernst: It had a to hit roll. 4 damage from eye.
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 4!
Aleith|DM rolled d20+9 and got 19 ( Total: 28.0 ) for vs Ref
Phyllis: Still! just an MBA. I don't … know its numbers
Aleith|DM rolled 2d12+12 and got 10, 2 ( Total: 24.0 )
Aleith|DM: The flying thing is grabbed! But [KO'd!]
Aleith|DM: Oh 2 more damage on that, but close enough.
Aleith|DM: Kvarti moves a bit further back before shooting his rifle at Flying Thing C!
Aleith|DM: 10 / 2 = [5!] + [4 psychic!]
Aleith|DM: You can see someone running from the far tents, loading an obscenely shiny golden pistol.
running closer
Aleith|DM: The young mage seems to panicking, but fires off a Magic Missile at Flying Thing A after reeling a bit!
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 5 force!
Aleith|DM rolled d6 and got 6 ( Total: 6 )
Aleith|DM rolled d20+0 and got 5 ( Total: 5 ) for save
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 29:Flying Thing B | 23:Zane | 21:Worm Maw | 19:Flying Thing C | 15:Garrett | 13:Gerald | 12:Flying Thing A | 9:Chandra | 9:Ernst | 9:Phyllis | 8:Kvarti Gorbatiy | 5:Rock Rackus | 0:Simon Langfield |
Aleith|DM: Ah yes, that's dead.
Aleith|DM: Zane!
Gerald: "I don't suppose anyone around can make insubstantial critters more solid, can they?" A general shout into the crowd.
Phyllis: "Sorry about the crossfire, but what happened here?"
Aleith|DM: Most of the crowd scattered, to be fair, so there's some cowering stall owners, you, and the monsters, mostly.
Phyllis directed that statement at Simon, if that wasn't clear, though.
Gerald‘ wasn’t expecting a 'yes' anyway, but ya gotta ask just in case.
Simon: "I don't know! I was just testing out this staff and all of a sudden these things popped out of nowhere!"
Zane fires another arrow, this time at thing C.
Zane rolled d20+11 and got 19 ( Total: 30 )
Zane rolled 2d8+6 and got 6, 2 ( Total: 14.0 ) for halved, and 4 psychic
Garrett: "I don't know if I want the test to be successful because a botch would be worse or what."
Chandrasekhar: "Don't lose that staff. If you run, leave it where we can find it."
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 7!] and [4 psychic!
Simon: "It wasn't even gold before! I don't know what's happening?!"
Gerald: "Hmm. More questions! … Can probably wait until you're not getting assault by giant lizard parrots."
Phyllis: "Was the staff in anything?"
Aleith|DM: The worm maw grabs at Gerald! [Grasping Tentacles]
Aleith|DM rolled d20+7 and got 4 ( Total: 11 ) for vs Ref
[OOC] Aleith|DM: -Gerald +Garrett
Gerald: "I definitely advise not lettin' that thing grab you."
Garrett: "Please." [Ref: 26]
Aleith|DM: But misses! [3 radiant!] from Divine Sanction!
Chandrasekhar blasts it with divine retribution!
Aleith|DM: It then smashes some more into Chandrasekhar! [AP -> Smashing Tentacles]
Aleith|DM rolled d20+9 and got 8 ( Total: 17 ) for vs Fort
Aleith|DM rolled d12+12 and got 3 ( Total: 15.0 )
Aleith|DM: Hitting for 15 damage and tossing Chandrasekhar towards the tent!
[OOC] Phyllis: that's an exact hit, though if we have a surprise -1 penalty somewhere
Gerald: "Yup I would definitely rather be flung away form it than grabbed."
Aleith|DM: Flying Thing C sends a Ray of Light and Dark at Chandrasekhar!
Aleith|DM rolled d20+9 and got 2 ( Total: 11 ) for vs Ref
Aleith|DM: …Garrett?
Garrett‘ sidles up to Flying Thing C and slyly strikes at it!! [Sly Flourish]
[OOC] Phyllis: CA against anything adjacent to mage hand, remember
Garrett` rolled 1d20+15 and got 17 ( Total: 32 ) for vs AC
Aleith|DM: Hit!
Garrett` rolled 1d4+11 and got 2 ( Total: 13 ) for and + another 4 for eye
Also rolled 2d6 and got 6, 2 [Total: 8]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 21
Aleith|DM: Is that 11 counting the +4 from eye?
[OOC] Garrett: no
[OOC] Phyllis: I’d guess that it's DEX+CHA for damage
Aleith|DM: ah yes that explains that
[OOC] Garrett: oh ad another 1
[OOC] Garrett: for light blade expertise
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 11!] + [4 psychic!
Aleith|DM: Bloodied!
Aleith|DM: Gerald?
Gerald‘ takes a step forward, then blasts Thing C out of the air. [Quarry] [Twin Shot]
Gerald` rolled 2#d20+11(1) and got 16 ( Total: 27 )
Also rolled 2#d20+11(2) and got 8 [Total: 19]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 46
Gerald` rolled 2#d20+11(1) and got 16 ( Total: 27 )
Also rolled 2#d20+11(2) and got 17 [Total: 28]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 55
Gerald` rolled d8+7 and got 4 ( Total: 11 )
Also rolled 3d8+7 and got 8, 2, 5 [Total: 22]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 33
Aleith|DM: 1 hit! 2 hits!
Aleith|DM: You can’t Quarry the Thing
Aleith|DM: The Maw is closer
[OOC] Gerald: oh right. uh. pretend I quarried the big thing and did 5 less so…. 7+13/2=10+4+4=18 total
[OOC] Gerald: there I even mathed the half damage for you!!
Aleith|DM: Yes that adds up.
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 10+4+4!
Aleith|DM: Flying Thing A scoots back a bit and sends a Ray of Light and Dark at Chandrasekhar!
Aleith|DM rolled d20+9 and got 1 ( Total: 10 ) for vs Ref
Aleith|DM:
Aleith|DM: Chandrasekhar? Ernst? Phyllis?
Chandrasekhar almost, almost, feels bad for these things.
Ernst yawns as his robot raises the stock(e) of its barrel and fires at Flying Thing C.
Ernst rolled 2#d20+12(1) and got 11 ( Total: 23.0 ) for [Magic Weapon]
Also rolled 2#d20+12(2) and got 8 [Total: 20.0 (Low), Avg: 8.00]
Total: 43.0, Avg: 9.50
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: I GET IT
Phyllis: The maw, for what it's worth, looks big and dumb and clumsy. And easily confused. [Illusory Ambush on the Maw]
Phyllis rolled d20+11 and got 12 ( Total: 23.0 ) for CA, vs Will
Phyllis rolled d6+5+4 and got 3 ( Total: 12.0 ) for Psychic damage + Eye, -2 to attack UEoPNT
Aleith|DM: Hits!
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 12!] damage to the Maw!
Ernst rolled 2d8+7 and got 2, 4 ( Total: 13.0 ) for Gerald gets +3 dmg and +1 to hit
[OOC] Ernst: +4 eye on top of that.
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 6 + 4!] [KO!
Aleith|DM: Chandrasekhar!
Chandrasekhar darts in on the Maw, applies a [Divine Challenge] and then strikes it with a [Righteous Smite]!
Ernst moves and tosses a [+18 HP] to Chandra while he's at it since he still had a minor and move.
Chandrasekhar rolled d20+10 and got 11 ( Total: 21 )
Aleith|DM: Hit!
Chandrasekhar rolled 2d8+6 and got 2, 8 ( Total: 16 ) for me and every ally within 5 squares gains 7 T.HP
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: also + 4 damage from eye lol
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 8 + 4!
Aleith|DM: Kvarti takes a shot at Flying Thing A. [5 + 4!]
Aleith|DM: And then stands over by the other constables.
Aleith|DM: Rock Rackus runs nearby and raises his pistol, shooting at the Maw! [6/2=3 + 4 damage!]
Aleith|DM: Simon…collapses. [KO!]
Aleith|DM rolled d20+0 and got 1 ( Total: 1 )
Aleith|DM: Although I guess he's stabilized.
[OOC] Aleith|DM: Eschatologist…?
Gerald: "Ah, you are more back up and not another problem. Good."
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 23:Zane | 21:Worm Maw | 15:Garrett | 13:Gerald | 12:Flying Thing A | 9:Chandra | 9:Ernst | 9:Phyllis | 8:Kvarti Gorbatiy | 5:Rock Rackus | 0:Simon Langfield |
Aleith|DM: Zane?
Rock: "Rock Rackus on the scene! I couldn't just stand by and do nothing, you know?"
Gerald: "Glad to have you on board!"
[OOC] Phyllis: Nope, the kid gets it instead.
Aleith|DM: The kid slips out of the worm maw's grasp but it doesn't even seem to notice. [Stabilized]
Zane fires at Thing A, the arrow bursting into flame as it leaves his bow. [RBA, Burning Strike Ki Focus ability]
Zane rolled d20+11 and got 12 ( Total: 23 )
Aleith|DM: Hit!
Zane rolled 2d8+6 and got 4, 5 ( Total: 15.0 ) for Fire damage, probably halved, and 4 psychic
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 7 Fire + 4 Psychic!
Zane: "Ernst if you could see to the young man with the staff, at your convenience."
Ernst: "Of course."
Aleith|DM: The worm maw grasps at Chandra! [Grasping Tentacles]
Aleith|DM rolled d20+7 and got 16 ( Total: 23 ) for vs Ref
[OOC] Phyllis: Remember, -2 from Illusory Ambush!
Aleith|DM: I did :(
Aleith|DM rolled 2d12+12 and got 8, 8 ( Total: 28.0 )
Aleith|DM: 28 damage to Chandrasekhar! He's grabbed (Escape DC 15]
[OOC] Garrett: does it lose insubstantial :(
Aleith|DM: not yet :(
Chandrasekhar yelps!
Gerald: "See! Getting grabbed was a horrible idea."
Aleith|DM: Waves of light roll down the tentacle that holds you, flowing toward the beast's body. You see flashes of your own thoughts and memories in the glowing waves, like it's slurping up your mind. [Drain Thoughts]
Aleith|DM rolled d20+7 and got 2 ( Total: 9 ) for vs Will
Aleith|DM: But Chandrasekhar resists!
[OOC] Aleith|DM: that was a Minor btw
Chandrasekhar closes his eyes, and imagines a six-armed goddess burning with the light of the sun. Eat that, hell worm.
Aleith|DM: The Maw shifts slightly.
Aleith|DM: Flying Thing A swoops out of the Eye's field, then sends a Ray of Light and Dark at Ernst!
Aleith|DM rolled d20+9 and got 9 ( Total: 18 ) for vs Ref
Ernst: "… no."
Aleith|DM: Garrett?
Aleith|DM: wait no I skipped people, it hasn't moved yet
[OOC] Garrett: oh you mean the flying thing?
[OOC] Garrett: ok
Aleith|DM: Yep
Garrett‘ circles about the maw and strikes all across it! [Sly Flourish]
Garrett` rolled 1d20+15 and got 13 ( Total: 28 )
Aleith|DM: Hit!
Garrett` rolled 1d4+12 and got 2 ( Total: 14 ) for +4 from eye not in the calc
Also rolled 2d6 and got 1, 1 [Total: 2]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 16
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 8 + 4!
Aleith|DM: Gerald!
Gerald` fires a [Twin Shot], one at the big thing and one at the last Flying Thing.
Gerald` rolled 2#d20+11(1) and got 11 ( Total: 22 )
Also rolled 2#d20+11(2) and got 12 [Total: 23]
Also rolled 2#d20+11(1) and got 17 [Total: 28]
Also rolled 2#d20+11(2) and got 18 [Total: 29]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 102
Aleith|DM: Hits!
Gerald` rolled 3d8+3 and got 4, 5, 5 ( Total: 17 )
Also rolled 2d8+3 and got 7, 7 [Total: 17]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 34
Gerald` did that after moving closer to Ernst of course which… uh… oh right. +3 more damage
[OOC] Gerald: so 10+4 to each I guess!
Aleith|DM: Yes, that sounds correct.
Aleith|DM: The Flying Thing is Bloodied!
Aleith|DM: It then swoops out and barely misses Ernst with that Ray.
Aleith|DM: Ernst? Phyllis? Chandrasekhar!
Gerald: "Wait is that thing running away?"
Ernst fires a Burning Weapons and Magic Weapon at the Flying Thing!
Garrett: "I know you won’t let it."
Ernst rolled 2#d20+13(1) and got 2 ( Total: 15.0 )
Also rolled 2#d20+13(2) and got 15 [Total: 28.0 (High), Avg: 15.00]
Also rolled 2#d20+13(1) and got 17 [Total: 30.0 (High), Avg: 17.00]
Also rolled 2#d20+13(2) and got 4 [Total: 17.0 (Low), Avg: 4.00]
Total: 90.0, Avg: 9.50
Gerald: "Oh yeah, of course not."
Garrett: "Also the eye is probably pissing it off something fierce."
Phyllis puts her [Mage Hand] closer to the Maw, then continues her disruptive magic. [Illusory Ambush]
Aleith|DM: 1 hit each!
Gerald: "Good point!"
Ernst rolled d8+10 and got 7 ( Total: 17.0 )
d8+14: 2 [Total: 16.0 (Low), Avg: 2.00]
Total: 33.0, Avg: 4.50
Ernst then moves to Simon and heals him for [+9] His robot steps away from the monster.
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 8!] [8!
Phyllis rolled d20+11 and got 12 ( Total: 23.0 ) for vs Will
[OOC] Ernst: +4 fire damage +3 dmg +1 to hit Ice
Phyllis rolled d6+5+4 and got 4 ( Total: 13.0 ) for all psychic, refreshes the -2 tohit penalty! :D
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 13!] Bloodied!
Aleith|DM: Chandrasekhar!
Chandrasekhar teleports the hell out of the ~loving tentacle friendship scenario~ presently ongoing and then charges it while surrounding himself in a golden aura! [Fey Step > Charge Virtuous Strike + Virtue]
Chandrasekhar rolled d20+10 and got 20 ( Total: 30 )
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: Aww yiss.
Aleith|DM: Crit!
[OOC] Garrett: pinned!
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: so when it says "fire and radiant damage per plus" is that like… 'a dice' of 'fire and radiant', or 'a dice of fire, and also a dice of radiant'
[OOC] Phyllis: the first
Aleith|DM: yes
[OOC] Zane: a dice that deals both fire and radiant
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: srasama is good
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: also eye damage
Chandrasekhar rolled 4d8+6 and got 2, 8, 6, 2 ( Total: 24.0 )
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: also it's inflicted with vuln radiant 3 until the end of my next turn
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 15 + 4!
Aleith|DM: Kvarti fires another shot. [5+4!]
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: also i maintain challenge :3
[OOC] Garrett: savage
Aleith|DM: You don't even have to spend an action to do that!
Zane whistles. "Damn, Singh."
Aleith|DM: Since you attacked it/ended your turn adjacent.
Garrett: "Out of the maw and then right back in."
Aleith|DM: Rock Rackus reloads. Doesn't look like he's modified his pistol.
Gerald‘ glances over at Kvarti, gives him a nod while tapping his ammo magazine and then giving Rock’s pistol a look.
Aleith|DM: Simon picks himself up. "Thank you." He then fires a Magic Missile at Flying Thing A! [5 force damage!]
Aleith|DM rolled d6 and got 2 ( Total: 2 )
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 23:Zane | 21:Worm Maw | 15:Garrett | 13:Gerald | 12:Flying Thing A | 9:Chandra | 9:Ernst | 9:Phyllis | 8:Kvarti Gorbatiy | 5:Rock Rackus | 0:Simon Langfield |
Aleith|DM: Zane?
Zane fires off another arrow at Thing A! [RBA]
Zane rolled d20+11 and got 12 ( Total: 23 )
Aleith|DM: Hit!
Zane rolled 2d8+6 and got 8, 3 ( Total: 17.0 ) for halved
[OOC] Aleith|DM: Death Attack] [KO!
Gerald: "Looks like you got it instead."
Gerald: "Which means I get to unload on the weird dark fey nightmare thing instead!"
Zane: "Well I figured you all might like a chance to play with the big thing for once, yeah."
Gerald: "Oh yeah."
Aleith|DM: The worm maw smashes its tentacles into Chandrasekhar and Garrett! [Smashing Tentacles]
Aleith|DM rolled 2#d20+7(1) and got 7 ( Total: 14.0 ) for vs Fort
Also rolled 2#d20+7(2) and got 11 [Total: 18.0 (High), Avg: 11.00]
Total: 32.0, Avg: 9.00
Gerald: "Nope." [Disruptive Shot]
Gerald‘ rolled 2#d20+12(1) and got 19 ( Total: 31 )
Also rolled 2#d20+12(2) and got 20 [Total: 32]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 63
Aleith|DM: Hit, Crit!
Gerald` rolled d6+26 and got 2 ( Total: 28 ) for -6 To Hit so Garrett is safeu
[OOC] Gerald: and +4 psychic
Garrett` gives Gerald a thumbs up!
Ernst blasts it with a [Shocking Feedback] for good measure.
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 14 + 4!
Ernst rolled 2#d20+13(1) and got 6 ( Total: 19.0 )
Also rolled 2#d20+13(2) and got 3 [Total: 16.0 (Low), Avg: 3.00]
Total: 35.0, Avg: 4.50
[OOC] Ernst: … Heroic Effort
Aleith|DM: 1 hit!
Ernst rolled 2d8+15 and got 2, 7 ( Total: 24.0 ) for +4 psychic
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 12 + 4!
[OOC] Ernst: Chandra gains resist 5
[OOC] Phyllis: How much did you miss by? and did you remember CA from the adjacent mage hand
[OOC] Ernst: Oh. Then the first hit and I HE the 2nd.
Aleith|DM: Chandra has resist 2 all already, and Garrett was the one that was going to be hit, if that makes a difference.
Ernst rolled d8 and got 1 ( Total: 1 )
[OOC] Ernst: Add 1 damage :D
Aleith|DM: It’s halved, round down :D
[OOC] Phyllis: talking about Shocking Feedback at least
[OOC] Ernst: Sure give Garrett resist 5 then
Aleith|DM: Garrett!
Garrett‘ whips his dagger about and strikes at the base of the maw! [Piercing Strike]
Garrett` rolled 1d20+15 and got 16 ( Total: 31 ) for vs Ref
Garrett` rolled 1d4+9 and got 2 ( Total: 11 ) for add +4 psychic
Also rolled 2d6 and got 4, 4 [Total: 8]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 19
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 9 + 4!] [KO!
Aleith|DM: The worm maw collapses to the ground.
Ernst nods to the others. "Glad to see we haven’t gotten rusty this last month."
Garrett: "I know, right?"
Garrett: "Cuffin' pickpockets wasn't really taxing."
Ernst patches up Chandra to full before borrowing a healing surge from… Chandra and himself.
Phyllis: "Curious."
Garrett: "Though I guess the boss doesn't want us cheerin' too loudly now that we've put down another extradimensional threat."
Phyllis: "The bodies of the creatures are still here."
Aleith|DM: She's right. All 4 bodies are still there.
Zane: "Weird."
Phyllis: "Not usual for summon magics. There appears to be something else in play."
Aleith|DM: People start coming back to slowly to gape at the scene.
Phyllis: "As if they were here all along, just made real."
Chandrasekhar looks around for- oh good, the mage survived. "We ought to bring the staff in, have people take a look at it."
Aleith|DM: Oh my god, Chandrasekhar! Looking around, you notice a body lying on the ground.
Gerald: "Clear, I think! Someone shout if they see any other weird monsters or suspicous looking asshole casters!" Gerald shouts to the crowd.
Aleith|DM: Over near booth 6, someone seems to have been shot.
Simon: "Look, I didn't mean for that to happen!"
Chandrasekhar rushes over in that direction, motioning for the others to follow!
Gerald: "Oh yeah not you I just mean - in general."
Garrett: "So what -was- supposed to happen?"
Gerald: "You should probably had that staff over to the nice lady with the tome though."
Gerald‘ gestures to Phyllis.
Phyllis nods at Simon. "It appears to me you were the patsy and distraction for another crime."
Gerald` then follows after Chandrasekhar.
Simon: "I was just using a magic missile at one the targets at Al’s Ammo here!"
Aleith|DM: He relunctantly hands the staff over to Phyllis.
Simon: "Am I…gonna get that back, you think? I paid good money for that."
Phyllis: "Which target?"
Phyllis gives the staff a once-over. [Arcana?]
Aleith|DM: He points at one at the north end of the smaller shooting range in booth #4.
Aleith|DM: The dwarf who runs it, Alfonse Irongut, thanks you profusely for saving his son from the Worm Maw, by the way.
Aleith|DM: Alforb was the poor dwarf kid.
Aleith|DM: Chandrasekhar: the poor man is dead from a gunshot wound to the chest.
Aleith|DM: Arcana? roll it
Chandrasekhar glances over the… body? Should he be calling for a medic, or for Garrett? …ah.
Phyllis rolled d20+12 and got 1 ( Total: 13.0 )
Aleith|DM: You're…not sure.
Gerald‘ leans over Chandrasekhar’s shoulder, taking a look to. Trying to determine what kind of gun make the shot, figuring out the firing angle, probably finding the bullet itself, that sort of thing.
Aleith|DM: The crowd stares at the body and starts whispering amongst themselves, wondering who shot the poor man. One of the constables? The dwarf? The star?
Aleith|DM: You manage to pull out the bullet, and it's solid gold.
Phyllis pauses as her mind goes blank. There doesn't seem to be any scrap of knowledge she can connect here. Too fixated on the unusual didn't-disappear-out-of-existence of the creatures.
Chandrasekhar: "…just like the staff."
Phyllis: "Ernst, can you um."
Phyllis: "Can you give me a second pair of eyes here?"
Gerald‘ wipes the blood and bits off, squints at the bullet. Any marking of engravings? Pistol, rifle?
Garrett: "Just sit tight, lad. Given everything, it’ll take a bit to sort out."
Aleith|DM: Seems like a pistol bullet. 24-karat gold.
Kvarti snort. "Not quite. Came from that one's gun." He points at the gaudy diamond-encrusted golden pistol carried by Rock Rackus.
Kvarti: "It was a good shot, but went right through the tentacle before hitting the poor sod."
Gerald‘ furrows his eyebrows. "That’s some bad luck. I don't think either of our shots passed through it."
Ernst nods and helps Phyllis. ((Sorry sister called my skillset is yours))
Gerald: "Or Ernst's for that matter, or I imagine Garrett would have a lot of new holes in him."
Aleith|DM: The staff also seems to be covered in various pictograms.
Chandrasekhar sits on his heels, looking for any kind of ID on the guy who got shot.
Aleith|DM: There's a few bullet holes scattered around in the tents, actually.
Phyllis rolled d20+11 and got 18 ( Total: 29.0 ) for Ernst Arcana
Aleith|DM: Some scatter shots in the wall of Al's Ammo from the shotguns.
Gerald‘ goes to check the creature just in case, notices that stuff. "Or… it was just hard to notice at the time I suppose. Huh."
Gerald` holds the bullet out towards Rock. "Hey, you weren’t by any chance using this as a distaction and cover to murder someone, were you?"
Aleith|DM: The magical energies stored in the staff matches the energies of the strange creatures.
Zane rolled d20+7 and got 4 ( Total: 11 )
[OOC] Zane: hah
Garrett‘ goes over to check the dead body.
Rock blanches. "No, of course not! Oh my god ohmygodohmygod…!"
Aleith|DM: Several police arrive, and start asking around.
Chandrasekhar: "Garrett… you have any way of figuring out who this guy is? Why it might have been important for him to be shot?" He stands, reassures people that the Constables are on the scene, etc.
Gerald` nods. "Well, I imagine they’re gunna have to question you anyway but… as long as it was an accident they probably won't gold it against you."
Aleith|DM: A couple of them go up to Rock Rackus. "I'm sorry, sir, but you're going to have to come with us." They start reading him his rights.
[OOC] Gerald: hold it against him. oh my god thta typo :(
Garrett: "Well, we do the mundane stuff first." Checks the body for identification or anything else.
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: LOL ICE
Phyllis goes to inspect the target Simon pointed at, given that knowledge. Her suspicions lie with the staff, but just in case.
Garrett‘ turns and looks at Gerald, and it’s an amazing mix of smiling and pride.
Aleith|DM: The target looks like it was hit by a magical blast, most likely a Magic Missile.
Aleith|DM: It's a bit hard to tell amongst other bulletholes and marks, but that's the freshest one.
Phyllis rolled d20+11 and got 20 ( Total: 31.0 ) for I'm being asked to roll history. Presumably about Rock, some idle thought in the back of her mind coming to the surface.
Aleith|DM: No, it's about the staff.
Phyllis: Thoughts are messy like that
Aleith|DM: The pictograms on the staff depict the four elements, water, fire, earth, air. The design could be connected with the Ancients.
Gerald: "Man. Some day, huh?"
Phyllis raises an eyebrow and turns back to look at Simon. She sweeps an arm in the direction of the Worm Maw. "Are you entirely sure you want to keep the staff? The markings and its history seem to indicate it's for much more than firing at targets on a range."
Aleith|DM: Alfonse, the shopkeep, supports Simon's story. The staff was wooden when he arrived, but when testing his magic missile, the staff turned golden and those monsters appeared.
Phyllis: "Did it have these markings prior to its apparent transformation?"
Aleith|DM: Simon blinks a couple of times. "…you know what? No. Keep that thing far away from me."
Garrett: "Where'd you get it?"
Simon: "It had the markings, but it was wooden-"
Aleith|DM: The staff does, in fact, turn back to wood.
Aleith|DM: Weird, right?
Gerald: "Yup, that's goin' in the evidence locker."
Simon: "I got it in an…admittedly shady…deal."
Garrett‘ makes the rotating hand gesture that means ’go on…'
Chandrasekhar: "Oh?"
Simon: "I got it from a lady, average height, long black hair. She sold it to me for a 'steep discount'."
Chandrasekhar: "The more information you can give us about her, the better."
Simon: "I heard about it on the grapevine and set up a meeting at a store in the Trinket Stand over there-" He waves idly in the direction of one of the larger tents near the centre. "Had a meeting with her behind a furniture store."
Chandrasekhar nods.
Chandrasekhar: "Thank you very much. Hopefully we'll be able to stop anyone else from getting hurt."
Simon: "At the jewelry booth, I told them I was looking for 'an anniversary gift for my wife Ethel' and was sold a small jewelrey box. The directions to the meet were inside."
Garrett: "So bring us to the staff."
Aleith|DM: Several low-ranking RHC officers come by and begin confiscating huge swaths of items. Standing orders for the RHC state that any previously unknown magic requires a thorough investigation. Mages come by and sense for magical auras they don’t recognize, and they take anything that looks suspicious. The steam-powered suit, the various unique guns, and a lot of the mundane merchandise get taken away and locked up in the evidence room at the RHC Headquarters.
Aleith|DM: Many of the owners complain, but this is by orders of the king.
Aleith|DM: Simon takes you over to the Trinket Stand and points out the jewelry booth to you. "That's the one." It's towards the back of the Stand.
Zane makes sure that the owners of the confiscated items get a reciept for every single piece, so there will be no problem or confusion on having them returned later.
Gerald: "Think of it this way guys! You're just losing a couple wares, and not your lives! You could been that sucker killed by a stray gold bullet!"
Phyllis pulls one of the RHC confiscators aside for a moment. "This particular item may be useful in divination or scrying later on - if you need to take it, but we come to need it for such a purpose, can we requisition it back quickly?"
Garrett` starts searching the jewelry booth.
Aleith|DM: The man nods. "If you guys need it for your case, you can hold onto it for now."
Phyllis nods.
Aleith|DM: He marks a few notes down on his ledger.
Phyllis catches up with Garrett.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License