Zg Session 133

Aleith|DM: Amrou is certainly the largest of the planar motes you've come across. It's also one of the most desolate. The entire plane is sprawling salt wasteland, dotted with small tombs.
Chandrasekhar bows his head, as soon as the tombs come into view. The dead ought be honoured, and it's his guess that these haven't in some time.
Zane: "Wow."
Ernst: "I admit I'm curious what the deal with this one is."
Gerald: "Hmm hard to imagine anything you want coming from here, but."
Garrett: "Salt's valuable, or so it goes."
Calily: "I couldn't say. I didn't run into anyone, and didn't feel like going tomb raiding."
Phyllis tilts her head, trying to ascertain this plane's aspects.
Aleith|DM: Nature check? Arcana is auto-pass.
Phyllis rolled d20+31 and got 19 ( Total: 50.0 )
Aleith|DM: Planar Trait: Mundane counters against supernatural threats are stronger. If a creature puts down a line of salt, whenever a demon, devil, spirit, or similar entity attempts to cross, make an attack against that creature’s Will, with a bonus equal to the level of the creature that set down the salt. On a hit, that creature cannot cross the barrier for a day. Salt also burns such creatures, dealing 5 damage per turn (or more, depending on the quantity) and keeping them from willingly touching it. Indeed, affected creatures cannot even use tools to intentionally move salt, though they can create circumstances (like drafts from open windows, or asking a normal mortal) that can affect salt.
Aleith|DM: Likewise, holy bells can drive away faeries, jade hurts aberrant monsters, and presented holy symbols create safe shells as if you were constantly surrounded by a ring of salt.
Gerald: "Bet the unseen court would love that."
Phyllis: "Huh. I wonder if this is the grain of truth that existed behind certain tales of keeping the fey away."
Zane: "Wild."
Phyllis: "I also wonder if this would be a decent alternative to the trio of Urim, Apet, and… whatever the third one was. To keep out Gidim invaders."
Zane: "Can we ring the universe in salt?"
Chandrasekhar: "…hn. How much jade is in Lanjyr?"
Gerald: "There's a huge difference between 'they can't get in' and 'death via extraplaner horrors is always one unlucky day away, sooner if you forget to go through some mundane ritual before sleeping."
Chandrasekhar nods at Gerald.
Garrett: "I don't know, spirits piss me off something fierce too."
Phyllis: "Noted. It was a passing thought. And we may have … insufficient quantities of salt and jade, as you pointed out."
Gerald: "All you gotta do to ignore them is lay off the fey peppers man."
Chandrasekhar: "Let us pay respects to the dead and be on our way, then."
Garrett: "Oh I mean the ones that we hit for half-damage."
Garrett: "Most aren't nearly that ornery."
Aleith|DM: To the south and southeast lie the watery planes of Mashiva and Shabboath. East lies Bhoior.
Garrett: "Wheel about- to Mashiva!"
Gerald: "Those things that are extra sensative to my blaster you mean…?"
Garrett: "Yeah."
Aleith|DM: Supernatural forces keep the sea of Mavisha from pouring away into the void. The surviving chunk of the plane has a rocky seabed and a handful of small islands, but a steadily heaving sea covers most of the world, and at the plane’s edge the water simply crashes into an invisible barrier.
Phyllis: "To Mashiva. … we can probably do better, but - "
Aleith|DM: The seas are teeming with life – turtles, schools of fish, sharks, dire anamalocarises, and the like. A few despondent fish men, just intelligent enough to grasp their world’s doom, dangle listlessly at the edge of the sea, looking into the void.
Gerald: "Oh, good. A food source in case we get stuck here a while."
Chandrasekhar: "Gerald. Never change."
Gerald: "What? Most of the world's we've seen were kind of low on resorces, that's a legitimate concern."
Chandrasekhar pauses. Especially if they'll forsake this star in favour of another… it's good to be able to see it with his own eyes.
Aleith|DM: The Vortex Array shows a couple of oddities - a sunken ship near the southwestern edge, and…some kind of static on one of the islands near the northeastern edge close to Shabboath.
Gerald: "Getting some kind of non-reading on an island here though."
Chandrasekhar: "…that's strange."
Gerald: "First time I've seen something like that, yeah."
Garrett: "Non-reading, huh?"
Phyllis: "You can go check that out while I recreate this plane's icon."
Garrett: "Time to look at it the old-fashioned way."
Garrett‘ directs the ship across the plane, heading towards the odd non-reading.
Aleith|DM: When you fly nearby it, you don’t see anything strange on the island. Several of the fishmen appear to be moving about on the island.
Aleith|DM: Perception check?
Gerald‘ rolled d20+36 and got 13 ( Total: 49 )
Aleith|DM: …some of the fishmen disappear in mid-air when they move near the centre of the island, or re-appear from that area.
Phyllis: "Yeah, that’s not surprising. Mashiva made it impossible to scy on islands."
Gerald: "Huh."
Phyllis presumably says that after Gerald relays that. if not then nevermind
Gerald: "Looks like the center of the island is some kind of teleporting space."
Phyllis: "Teleporting? Or simply invisibility?"
Gerald: "Or invisibility, hard to say from up here."
Gerald‘ nods.
Phyllis: "Given the nature of the plane from our home world’s connection to it, I'd put money on invisibility."
[OOC] Phyllis: scry, not scy. whoops
Garrett‘ brings down the Coaltongue. "Kind of lucky the slavers never thought to use this kinda place."
Calily: "Well, it hasn’t been here very long, relatively."
Aleith|DM: Unlike some of the fishmen that openly gaped at you as your ship passed over them, the ones on the island ignore you. Some of them appear to be bringing tools or materials towards the centre of the island before they disappear.
Phyllis: "Do we feel like taking a journey?"
Garrett‘ doesn’t draw his daggers but is definitely walking towards the 'vanishing point,' trying to sense if they disappear- their footsteps- or not.
Phyllis: "Or at least paying them a v - that answers that."
Garrett: "I'm just… super curious."
Aleith|DM: As you approach, Garrett, and your sixth sense spreads past the spot where the fishmen are vanishing…you feel them continue walking past that point. Approaching a bit further, you feel a tall structure, taller than your senses can feel a roof for.
Garrett: "Interesting."
Garrett: "It's… just invisibility…?"
Garrett: "There's something -big-, here."
Garrett‘ enters the vanishing point!
[OOC] Garrett: or where he approximates it to be, in front of himself
Ernst glances at the others, he wasn’t going in after him unless everyone else was.
Zane motions for the rest to wait and goes after Garrett.
Aleith|DM: As you step past that point, you can see what the fishmen have been apparently working on-a two-hundred foot tower of wax, about sixty-feet wide. Strange sigils seem to be engraved on the surface of it.
Phyllis gets to working on the icon's recreation. They already have the bond, so… "Y'all have fun."
Garrett: "Well…"
Garrett: "It's a tower."
Zane: "Mmhmm. Of… wax."
Garrett: "That means I can talk to it." [Urban Bond]
Garrett‘ rolled 1d20+27 and got 1 ( Total: 28 )
Garrett: "[What. Is. Your. Purpose????]"
Aleith|DM: Zane: Garrett’s gone unusually quiet. And unblinking.
Zane: "…"
Zane shakes Garrett. "Are you OK?"
Garrett: "…uh?"
Garrett: "Oh."
Garrett: "Uh."
Zane: "You said 'I can talk to it' and then went borderline catatonic. I'm not sure that was your finest plan."
Garrett: "I asked it what it's purpose was, and uh, I got a different response than I normally do."
Zane: "Oh?"
Garrett: "Usually it's a flash of an image, like a portrait."
Garrett: "With a flash of feeling sometimes, too."
Zane: "And this time?"
Garrett: "This, though-" he shakes his head.
Garrett: "It was like I was daydreaming, way, way back in the day, still back in the woods, being a rough-n-tumble teen in a group full of 'em, passing about the pepper."
Garrett: "Around a campfire, as one does."
Garrett: "It was like that was the entire world, and everything else was … nothingness, darkness."
Garrett: "And from that,"
Garrett: "three eyes watched us."
Zane blinks. "Well that's slightly ominous."
Garrett: "It also had the distinct feeling that we were… underwater, too, if that makes sense?"
Garrett: "Both a powerful memory of teenage time and of it being completely submerged… maybe not unlike a theater putting a colored scarf over a light for ambiance…?"
Garrett‘ shakes his head.
Gerald: "So in other words, just something to pass the time?"
Chandrasekhar: "I mean, we’re on Mavisha, the underwater bit seems unsurprising."
Garrett: "Anyway, it's. Definitely creepy. And in another sentence that probably makes sense only to me- I also feel like it wasn't… really… a building that I talked to or that 'answered.'"
Garrett: "Both of those are fair shakes, I'd say."
Garrett: "Could just be benign."
Garrett: "I mean what else does one do on a semi-secretive island."
Zane: "In our case, I believe the answer is 'depart. Lets go, man."
Garrett‘ nods and turns to leave.
Aleith|DM: Another of the fishmen exits the tower’s entrance, but this one is different: for on thing, it's not carrying anything, and it's walking towards you.
Chandrasekhar pauses, nods to it.
Aleith|DM: For another thing, the edges of it glow in green, blue, and white. Globules of living fire float beside it, like a school of fish drawn with oil and set alight.
Aleith|DM: And it speaks directly into your minds. [What are you doing here?]
Zane does the 'relaxed but wary' pose, just in case this gets unpleasant.
Garrett‘ thinks back at it. . o O (Not going to lie… pure curiosity.)
Garrett` . o O (And probably some nosiness.)
[OOC] Aleith|DM> <Fishman: We are building a grand monument to attest we were here, even if our world is now dead or dying.
Garrett` . o O (The curiosity has saved your existence for being, then, as you surely must realize the monument is invisible past a certain point.)
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: A noble pursuit.] And then, focusing his mind like a knife-edge, to the party alone: . o O (He is lying.)
Garrett` casually scratches his head, and turns to look at Chandrasekhar, slowly and wordlessly sliding his hand to a dagger hilt.
Ernst . o O (These sigils involve a lot of different schools of magic. Conjuration, Enchantment, Illusion and Necromancy to be specific.)
Gerald` .oO(Deadly force lying or…?)
Chandrasekhar: . o O (There’s one way to find out.) He bows, graciously, to the fishperson: [Before water and starlight I promise to you: we do not judge, we come here to explore and understand the planes. You can be truthful with us.]
[OOC] Aleith|DM> <Fishman: About what?] There's a bit of a scrutinizing tone in that.
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: About the purpose of the tower.
[OOC] Aleith|DM> <Fishman: Leave this place. You desecrate it with your presence.
Aleith|DM: The other nearby fishmen stop what they're doing, all turning to stare at you.
Chandrasekhar: "
Chandrasekhar: "We have no quarrel with them…"
Gerald: "Alright here's the deal. You promise that whatever you're building here won't negatively effect anyone else on this plane, and we'll leave. Sound good?"
[OOC] Aleith|DM> <Fishman: Leave.] You feel a slight force behind the words, though you can ignore it.
Chandrasekhar repeats Gerald's demand, via telepathy, and possibly a little more diplomatically.
[OOC] Aleith|DM> <Fishman: It's just a monument.
Zane shrugs. "I'm good with leaving them to it. Moot point in the long term, I suspect."
Garrett: "Works for me. Good luck."
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: We have the capacity to destroy you sufficiently that the world containing all worlds has not a grain of dust worth of the memory that you exist.
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: What is this monument?
Garrett: "But I'm curious on how this is gonna play out."
Garrett: "(It's a reoccuring trait.)"
Aleith|DM: The bizarre glowing fishman curls its body but spreads its arms, like a conductor before an orchestra. Strands of the air and water around you turn viscous, conjuring an ornate maze of slime bars, each majestically crafted with fantastic translucent designs no solid object could ever convey. It is beautiful and bewildering, and if you touch any of the bars they burn you horribly. [Eerie Slimecraft, close blast 7]
Aleith|DM rolled 5d20+31 and got 10, 13, 1, 9, 10 ( Total: 74.0 ) for vs Ref, Chandrasekhar, Ernst, Garrett, Gerald, Zane
Aleith|DM: 41, 44, miss, 40, 41…
Zane: "Alright then." The baying of hounds is heard on the winds.
Chandrasekhar exhales in /extremely careful/ delight at the workmanship.
Aleith|DM rolled 6d6+15 and got 3, 3, 6, 1, 6, 2 ( Total: 36.0 )
Aleith|DM: Chandrasekhar takes 36 acid damage and is restrained [EScape DC 32. Chandrasekhar takes 20 acid damage whenever he attempts an escape check].
[OOC] Phyllis: is this something phyllis would hear
Aleith|DM: And then the fishman disappears.
Garrett‘ . o O (Phyllis, there’s action!) He isn't sure if she approached.
Aleith|DM: The other fishmen continue to stare at you, but make no moves towards you.
Gerald: "Hm."
[OOC] Garrett: or, well, he wasn't paying attention
Gerald: "We can play that way, if you want."
Aleith|DM: Phyllis is out of range
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: I don't suppose I can just teleport out?
Gerald‘ pulls out a rocket and fires it into the center of the tower.
Chandrasekhar sighs.
Aleith|DM: It hits an invisible wall on the way in, not making it all of the way inside.
Garrett: "Oh- she’s out of range…" He watches the rocket go.
Garrett: "…I'll just redraw the sigils and see if Phyllis can make heads or tails of it."
Gerald: "Interesting."
Zane: "Well. Are we killing everybody now or…?"
Garrett: "Let's just… wash our hands of this for now."
Gerald‘ looks like he’s struggling with the question for a moment, than shakes his head at Zane.
Gerald: "Naw, they're not doing anything."
Garrett: "Worse comes to worse, we can always Cyclopian Revolution the area, but it's like petting a jellyfish at this rate."
Chandrasekhar: "…I have concerns about the purpose of their monument, but no /information/, and… I am loath to escalate further."
Zane makes a slightly disgruntled noise.
Gerald: "Setting the island on fire is probably fair though, they can all swim."
Garrett: "Shore leave's over, let's raise anchor."
Chandrasekhar either teleports out or painfully extricates himself, eventually.
Zane: "Very well."
Garrett: "And get Chandra an aloe vera bath."
Chandrasekhar growls. "Don't… enjoy being lied to to my face. Scaly bastard." He starts sketching some of the intricate slimecraft designs as soon as he can, though.
Aleith|DM: Teleportation does work, yes.
Aleith|DM: Phyllis doesn't have any problems making a new icon for the plane.
Chandrasekhar: "Hello, Phyllis! We discovered more reasons to replace this plane with another."
Aleith|DM: However, when Phyllis and Ernst look over the sigils…the best conclusion they can draw is that they are meant to enhance psychic powers, leaning towards illusion and compulsion.
Garrett‘ picks up some paper and quill from the cabin on the deck, and recreates the sigils…
Aleith|DM: Mashiva’s fishmen are not known for psychic ability.
Gerald: "Hmmmm."
Phyllis looks at the sigils, looks at her icon, then … contemplates smashing it right then and there.
Gerald: "Nope, don't like that one bit. Maybe we are using the massive cannon."
Phyllis: "That moves it from 'neutral' to 'bad', I'd say."
Phyllis: "So! Ostia as our new neutral, then?"
Ernst: "We doing something about this or not?"
Zane heads to the bow of the ship with the Cyclopean Revelation in tow. "Yup."
Phyllis: "There is no need to if they never escape the Gyre."
Phyllis stares at the icon in her hands.
Phyllis obliterates it.
Zane levels the cannon at the base of the tower, "If," and pulls the trigger.
Garrett: "Brace just in case."
Gerald‘ definitely was holding onto a railing.
Aleith|DM: You wipe out a long near the base from the entrance to the back. However, the beam isn’t that wide, so the tower remains standing. However, the invisibility dies for a few moments, and when you look inside the tower, you see the floor is filled with water in the centre, and there's a strange creature floating in the middle…near a kraken and several swarms of elemental chum.
Aleith|DM: Imagine the back of a horned turtle, enlarged to the size of a house, with fleshy valves between joints in the shell where three red eyes sleepily watch all that transpires in their presence. A muscular beak at the end of a squat trunk attaches the monster to the side of a flooded cave, and four meaty tentacles float limp in the current. Part of it's back is vaporized.
Zane: "…"
Aleith|DM: You sense its gaze on you, and the tower turns invisible again.
Chandrasekhar: "Lovely."
Zane: "Wow."
Chandrasekhar: "Good… to know… that's been floating in the night sky every day for millenia."
Garrett‘ rubs his face. "Load regular cannons."
Zane: "One of these things was not like the other."
Phyllis: "That … is not native to Mavisha, at least. Gidim, perhaps?"
Aleith|DM: The vortex array also shows a bit of static in the connection between Mavisha and Shabboath.
Zane: "That is rapidly becoming my least favorite word. Ever. I think I will nominate it to be a new form of profanity."
Aleith|DM: It’s much smaller, so it was harder to make out, but it's had more time to clarify the scan.
Zane shifts his aim and pulls the trigger again. He'll cut this tower down like a lumberjack if he has to.
Garrett: "Turn to broadside. Fire in the area the Cyclopean Revolution did. It's still damaged, it's just invisible."
Aleith|DM: Daily usage.
Chandrasekhar: "At least it had a sense of artistry, I suppose."
Aleith|DM: Though, Ernst could give it another charge.
[OOC] Zane: Oh right
Ernst can in fact refresh item powers once every combat. So sure.
Phyllis: "That's just a guess. It could be from somewhere in the Gyre."
Phyllis: "The nearby plane connected to it, possibly."
Zane: "Not for long."
Zane: "Thank you, Ernst." Shift, fire.
Garrett: "After seeing this… who's ready to go to said connected plane after we finish up."
Chandrasekhar: "If it's a plane full of tentacle monsters I'm going to regret my enthusiasm, but… it's there, and I'm curious."
Phyllis: "Please."
Gerald: "The void of near nothingness sure is filled with weird shit."
Chandrasekhar: "Mohya as far as the eye can see."
Aleith|DM: Another blinding flash of light zooms across space to nearly the edge of the island. With both the middle and one edge of the tower cut away, the tower reappears, and any narrow band of wax between the two obliterated sections crumples, sending the tower carreening to the side, crashing and scattering wax across the isle. Only a small section of the tower remains standing. The creature you saw before seems to have retreated into the watery tunnel in the middle of the tower leading downwards.
Zane: "Alright. We can probably go now."
Garrett: "Aloe bath sooner rather than later, and let's move."
Aleith|DM: As you board your airship, and fly towards Shabboath, you pass over the other staticky portion of the scan. It appears to be a cluster of drifting stones-a fairly comming sight in the Gyre-floating between the two planes, shrouded in mist.
Aleith|DM: The surface of Shabboath is a bog dotted with jagged spurs of karst limestone. The swampy ground is mostly muddy and flat enough to traverse on foot, but it can rapidly shift to painfully sharp rock concealed by the murk, or drop away completely into huge flooded tunnels. Every few miles, one of these sinkholes sits miraculously hollow, water flowing down its sides into sunless depths, but never filling the pit.
Aleith|DM: The swamp is fairly teeming with vaknids, but they're all too listless to get into a fight.
Chandrasekhar: "So many worlds, all oddly beautiful in different ways. Someday, once we're home, I'd like to write songs about this."
Phyllis: "Collaborate with Rackus."
Aleith|DM: The vortex array shows that there's some kinda od underground tunnel system with a huge underground cavern some ten miles wide.
[OOC] Aleith|DM: *some kind of
Aleith|DM: Insight checks? All around now.
Zane: "If I had a real death wish I'd say we should go see what's in that cavern. That being said I am willing to bet on it being the vaknid queen and I am almost certain I can go the rest of my life without seeing that."
Zane rolled d20+18 and got 6 ( Total: 24 )
Phyllis rolled d20+25 and got 18 ( Total: 43.0 )
Garrett‘ rolled 1d20+17 and got 7 ( Total: 24 )
Garrett: "Yeah I’m not… too hot on revisiting the spiders."
Garrett: "But, I mean…"
Chandrasekhar rolled d20+38 and got 19 ( Total: 57 )
Zane: "I could be wrong though…"
Phyllis: "If I had to guess, the ones we saw elsewhere were undead under the demense of the Voice of Rot. It's -possible- that isn't the case for these, but."
Garrett: "I bet we could catch the back end of whatever that creature was."
Gerald‘ rolled d20+23 and got 13 ( Total: 36 )
Ernst rolled d20 and got 9 ( Total: 9 )
Ernst: emote shrugs. "We planning on investigating that?"
Garrett: "Good idea, Ernst. Let’s descend, keep cannons loaded."
Zane: "Like the king says."
Aleith|DM: At the king's orders, the Coaltongue descends near one of the entrances to a flooded tunnel.
Aleith|DM: The tunnel floor is covered in water, but you can make your way downwards. It's not completly submerged.
Aleith|DM: At least you have a map from the vortex array.
Garrett‘ draws his daggers. "Okay. Eyes open, listen for spiders."
Aleith|DM: Even with the map, it still takes a while to reach the large underground cavern.
Aleith|DM: Phyllis can discern the plane’s trait during this time.
Phyllis: Sure, why not. What skills?
Zane moves silently along with the others.
Aleith|DM: Nature, Perception.
Phyllis rolled d20+31 and got 16 ( Total: 47.0 ) for Nature
Phyllis: Perception … someone else can work on.
Aleith|DM: Hey, you can still pass that on a 20….
Zane rolled d20+25 and got 19 ( Total: 44 )
Aleith|DM: Planar Trait: Tunnels riddle the world, creating an underdark, much of it consisting of vast sunless seas.
Zane: ( I REFUSE. THERE WILL BE NO DRIZZ'TS )
Phyllis: "… … … Why are we here, again?"
Zane: "Big old cavern."
Garrett: "Well I mean,"
Chandrasekhar: "Inevitable mortal curiosity."
Aleith|DM: When you emerge, you find yourself in a huge underground chamber, containing an underground lake some ten miles across.
Garrett: "Ernst suggested it, and it sounded like a good idea."
Zane: "No he didnt, you suggested it."
Ernst: "There is some foul trickery about. I do not speak, let alone suggest things."
Aleith|DM: The water there has eerie waxy structures that channel the flow and leave dry certain areas that look to long ago have served as slave pens carved out of stalagmites. In other sections, the wax seals the surface entirely, except for tiny holes that barbed eels peek out of to snatch the bats and bugs that flitter in the dark.
Zane: "This is cooler than I was expecting."
Phyllis: "But … you did. I remember yoy saying as such."
Aleith|DM: Where the four sinkholes were stands four massive towers made of wax, leading to and through the ceiling of the cavern. They all lie within a quarter mile of each other at the center.
Chandrasekhar: "Oh, look." "
Garrett: "Uh…"
Chandrasekhar: "Our friend on Mavisha must have been homesick."
Garrett: "Hm."
Zane: "I don't think I can blow those down with the Revelation, even with Ernsts help."
Phyllis: "Give me a good reason for us to not turn around right now."
Garrett: "…did I suggest it before or after…"
Garrett: "Uh, well… I guess we don't have a charged Cyclopean Revolution to destroy even part of one of these towers…"
Aleith|DM: The sinkholes are large enough to fit a whale, but, not quite the Coaltongue
Phyllis: "Doesn't seem suitable for a plane."
Garrett: "What's the traits, again?"
Zane: "It riddles the world with subterannean caves."
Gerald: "Nothing important, lets leave since the rest of you can't keep your stories straight."
[OOC] Zane: and gives rise to a bunch of shitty books about an emo dark elf…
[OOC] Aleith|DM: think it might be a sahagin this time
[OOC] Aleith|DM: dual-wielding tridents
Garrett: "Y…eah."
[OOC] Zane: lawl and his teleporting catfish statue
Zane: "Yeah. I'm not… We can go, I think."
Aleith|DM: You decided discretion is the better part of valour in the face of psychic monstrosities the size of a house.
Garrett: "(What -are- we doing down here?)"
Aleith|DM: Your ship takes off once you're back on board.
Gerald: "The actual answer is the same as it was every other time: curiosity."
Chandrasekhar: "(I was there guarding -your- ass, sir.)"
Chandrasekhar: "(Also, curiosity.)"
Aleith|DM: The Plain of Rice lies to the south. Nem's dark grey surface lies to the southeast. And the rocks of Bhoior lie to the northeast.
Zane shakes his head as they fly away from the mote. "I… That place was weird."
Garrett‘ cracks a smile and a huff of amusement.
Garrett: "Okay so-"
Garrett: "If the Plane of Rice isn’t exactly that I'm gonna be real disappointed."
Phyllis: "Let's check it out, then. And we've got an icon of Nem to make after."
Aleith|DM: It is exactly that. The Plain of Rice is just a field of rice, ankle deep with water, stretching for miles.
Aleith|DM: Planar Trait: The worldwide water level is raised enough that most land is submerged.
Chandrasekhar: "…well, that's… underwhelming."
Gerald: "Wacky."
Phyllis: "So. Nem?"
Garrett: "I'm okay with that for now."
Aleith|DM: Nem to the northeast, Av to the southeast.
Chandrasekhar: "At least it's not horrible tentacle monsters."
Garrett: "Yup!"
Aleith|DM: Every surface of this world is dark gray, except for the glowing spirits on their exodus from the Bleak Gate side of Av. One of the few notable landmarks is a railroad track running along what was once a coast line. A train lies abandoned here.
Zane: "I remember that."
Phyllis gets to work on the icon. As it's a plane that was bonded to the material plane while they lived there, their bond's present.
Aleith|DM: Planar Trait: Incorporeal creatures like ghosts have a +2 to defenses, attack rolls, and saves here. Undead with physical bodies (like zombies or vampires, but not living creatures possessed by ghosts) suffer a -2 penalty to defenses, attack rolls, and saves.
Aleith|DM: Av, Padyer, and Bhoior are nearby.
Phyllis: "Av next?" Do we … have an icon? Did we return the king yet?
Aleith|DM: No, no.
Garrett: "Av next."
Aleith|DM: What remains of Av is a twenty mile stretch of the plane's glass sphere. It tumbles slowly, revolving once every day, and its cracked edges reflect like jagged mirrors. One side is the Bleak Gate analogue of Flint, complete with Cauldron Hill. The other is the Dreaming analogue of the city, where old growth forest has withered in spots that coincide with where factories were built in the real world.
Aleith|DM: For now, there are still thousands of fey desperately confused in the Dreaming half, and tens of thousands of spirits drifting away from the Bleak Gate half toward Nem.
Garrett: "We should still be bonded, so this shouldn't take long."
Phyllis sets to work making an icon.
Aleith|DM: You actually only feel bonded once the Thisraldion sets foot upon the mote.
Phyllis sets to work making an icon at that point in time!
Garrett‘ totally said that later, yeah.
Aleith|DM: The various fey thank you profusely for returning their monarch.
Aleith|DM: And also mention that Rock left shortly after they arrived here in the Gyre, after managing to repair the Golden Legion’s former flagship, the Aurum Treasure.
Garrett: "Odds are we're just going to play a circular round of grab-ass and somehow not run into him again, I bet."
Aleith|DM: He re-christened it the Aural Pleasure before leaving with a crew of fey.
Chandrasekhar speaks a few words, here and there, when he can; assuring those stranded that they have not been forgotten.
Garrett‘ has to smirk at that name, though.
Garrett: "Ahh, but if only we would.
Garrett: "Anyway."
Garrett: "There definitely needs to be a plan to get everyone back home-… uh, well, to the original… universe, world, plane, that we’re returning to."
Phyllis: "Connecting their plane to the material one will reform the broken plane back to its whole one, I'm pretty certain."
Phyllis waggles the icon she made.
Garrett: "That's good to hear," he says, with a sigh of relief.
Phyllis: "Why do you think I've been so intent on making these?"
Phyllis: "That goes for Caeloon, too."
Ernst glances at Garrett. "If we take Millers words as truth, was the plan not to just throw ourselves into the gyre after we defeat the Voice of Rot?"
Garrett: "Because it was neccessary to re-set the alignment of planes to our world?
Garrett: "Also true, but I mean-"
Garrett: "We're pretty far away from the teeth of the Gyre,"
Miller: "That should also allow you to bring the tokens you have made with you, along with the knowledge you've gained from the Gyre."
Garrett: "And we don't have the capacity on the Coaltongue for thousands and thousands of people, unless I guess we packed everyone into origami strongholds…"
Phyllis points at Miller and nods. "Right, these are useless up until we cross that threshold."
Calily: "There's only so much space in there, unforunately."
Garrett: "It just means we don't need to engineer an different answer for it, which I'm okay with."
Garrett: "Thisraldion, you could continue to come with us if you so wished, but otherwise, don't let us keep you away from your subjects."
Aleith|DM: Thislradion stays with their subjects, but thanks you once again for rescuing them.
Garrett‘ nods and makes preparations to head for Padyer.
Aleith|DM: Padyer looks beautiful, an eerily smooth tableau that resembles porcelain, but which tilts in slow wobbles like a top about to stop spinning. A lapping sea drifts around the world based on the complex tides of the Gyre. A tower stands near the middle of the plane.
Chandrasekhar: "Goddess, if that tower’s made of wax…"
Aleith|DM: It's not. It looks much like a stereotypical wizard's tower, actually.
[OOC] Phyllis: So … Izzet, but in a planar form?
Zane: "Well. I dont reflexively hate this place yet."
Garrett: "Let's take stock before investigating more towers."
Chandrasekhar: "I can think of loads of places a tentacle monster might hide."
Calily: "You should. That sea there will burn anything that touches it. Even metal turns to slag if it touches it."
Zane: "…"
Phyllis: "Good looking out, Calily."
Zane gives the most world-weary, long suffering sigh.
Aleith|DM: Planar Trait: Water burns and purges.
Gerald‘ rubs at his face.
Chandrasekhar laughs out loud.
Chandrasekhar: "Good joke, O cold and strange universe. Good joke."
Garrett` smiles a pained smile.
Phyllis: Bhoior next, possibly?
Chandrasekhar: "On that note, at least there probably aren’t any tentacle monsters. I kind of want to break off a chunk of that porcelain-like compound to bring it back for study back home, but… not badly enough to get close." "
Phyllis: "Let's just … let's just go."
Aleith|DM: Calily asks you to drop off her and the monastery back on Caeloon first.
Garrett: "We're right next to Caeloon, and they've been so patient with us…"
Garrett‘ directs to Caeloon first.
Phyllis: "Sounds good."
Aleith|DM: The monks thank you heartily for helping rescue their grand master. They offer to let you stay the night and throw a celebration and a farewell feast.
Zane: "I could use a drink. Of anything but water."
Aleith|DM: Calily and some of the other monks laugh.
Aleith|DM: Master Chyak offers Zane a spar as well.
Zane lights up like its his nameday.
Garrett: "Dinner and a show? Everyone ashore!"
Zane: "I would be honored, Master Chyak."
Ernst is totally up for good free food.
Gerald` is always up for a party when they have no pressing matters to attend to.
Aleith|DM: The grand master fights much like Calily, but his form is refined to a greater degree.
Zane demonstrates how and where he has incorporated the lessons of Caeloon into his personal style.
Aleith|DM: The next morning, refreshed, you depart to investigate Bhoior.
Aleith|DM: The plane is indeed a miles-wide turtle composed of stones filled with fossils that have trapped the souls of the dead. Now many thousands more spirits from the Bleak Gate fill this world, unable to make it into Amrou.
Aleith|DM: Visitors here find just barren stone, without even any plant life. The souls trapped in the fossils whisper to living visitors, teasing that they know secrets but never revealing them except to those who knew the souls when they were alive.
Chandrasekhar: "…what a tragic plane. So many untold stories."
Aleith|DM: Planar Trait: Sounds echo, sometimes years later. This has no mechanical effect, but people are innately more aware of the past, and are less likely to repeat the mistakes of it.
Garrett` overturns a few stones, but finds no secrets.
Zane: "Useful… but I’m not sure we have the space."
Aleith|DM: This point, Thrag, and Etheax beyond it, are the only two uninvestigated motes.
Phyllis: "Air and Time, occupying the same spots as Ascetia and Caeloon."
Phyllis: "Wonder if we could stuff them both in the same slot as Ascetia. Serves a similar purpose."
Phyllis: "But we'd need to bond to it."
Garrett: "Isn't Ascetia's trait… similar- right."
Phyllis: "So it may prove redundant."
Garrett: "I think we can pass on it, but on the grounds of 'we don't really need the redundancy' instead of 'this is one wacky plane that is probably trying to kill us.'"
Phyllis: "I'm in agreement."
Aleith|DM: The first thing one notices approaching Thrag is the screaming, much like when you passed over it before on your flight to Ascetia.
Aleith|DM: This jungle plane is covered in animal and plant life.
Aleith|DM: And all of it is fighting for dominance, all while they wail in perpetual agony and angst.
Aleith|DM: Yes, even the plant life.
Chandrasekhar scowls.
Zane looks over the plane with an odd smile of approval.
Aleith|DM: Nature check? Insight is auto-passed.
Gerald: "Thinkin' hard pass."
Gerald‘ rolled d20+23 and got 13 ( Total: 36 )
Phyllis rolled 2#d20+31(1) and got 12 ( Total: 43.0 ) for Consulting with Sofiel, utilizing Insightful Councilor
Also rolled 2#d20+31(2) and got 14 [Total: 45.0 (High), Avg: 14.00]
Total: 88.0, Avg: 13.00
Aleith|DM: Planar Trait: Reincarnation is rapid, and memories are retained.
Zane: "Oh I don’t know, there's something refreshing about the most primal struggle of survival. I could stand for it to be a little quieter though."
Phyllis: "Egghhhhhhh. You fool yourself if you think there needs to be a struggle."
Zane smiles. "I am not a vegetarian, so I politely disagree."
Chandrasekhar: "…a fascinating trait. If I were of a mind to create a world entirely new… certainly one I would consider. As it is…" He tilts his head to one side.
Aleith|DM: The seas of Hunlow roil as you pass by overhead.
Aleith|DM: The cave-riddled mountains of Etheax are sharp and steep, with flat grassy valleys between looming granite mesas. A handful of goblin tribes live in these valleys, tending to the plants and animals in order to keep a stable environment. They also tend to fires at the mouths of all their caves.
Zane: "I wonder what the fires are for…"
Garrett: "Lighting, warmth…"
Garrett: "I mean, I'm not letting my guard down, but this doesn't seem to be a terrible vacation spot on its face."
Zane: "Hm."
Garrett‘ rolled 1d20+17 and got 17 ( Total: 34 )
[OOC] Garrett: nature check B)
Aleith|DM: Nature and Insight (auto-pass), yeah.
[OOC] Phyllis: though it’s DC 40, right?
Aleith|DM: Yeah
Aleith|DM: only Insight auto-passes
Phyllis rolled d20+31 and got 7 ( Total: 38.0 )
Aleith|DM: It takes you a couple of hours this time to figure out the trait….
[OOC] Garrett: I blame the hangovers
Aleith|DM: Planar Trait: Patience and fire magic are both easy. Anyone with Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma of 10 or higher can perform cantrips to create and control small fires.
Aleith|DM: You feel like you'd have to speak with the residents about bonding with the plane.
Phyllis: "Let's … keep going."
Aleith|DM: There isn't really anywhere else now, unless you want to double-back to somewhere.
Aleith|DM: Aside from Reida.
Gerald: "Yeeep."
Garrett: "That should be all, right?"
Garrett: "We take stock of what icons we have, what our plans are going to be,"
Garrett: "And then meet up with an angry sun to obliterate Rot."
Zane: "And then we go cut the tongue out of a snake."
Garrett‘ nods. "We -do- need to prevent 100% oblivion, yes."
Garrett: "And then… into the waiting teeth of the Gyre."
Zane: "Well. At least it wont be boring."
Miller: "Try to determine who you will use as your ’emotional link' to the world while we travel to Reida."
[OOC] Aleith|DM: and DM me your choice
[OOC] Zane: *everybody picks Delft*
Aleith|DM: You make your way back to Tefykfa, meet up with the giant ball of light that used to be a sun god, Obliatas, and make your way towards the teeth of the Gyre.
Aleith|DM: Beyond Teykfa floats a field of cracked debris, the celestial backwash of grinding teeth at the center of the Gyre. The thunder of stone crushing against stone resounds from every direction, and what clear paths there are don’t last long. Filtering though the rubble comes a pale glow from the last life of ancient worlds being snuffed, and something glints silver just at the precipice of annihilation…

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License