Zg Session 130

Aleith|DM: You have at least a few reasons for dealing with the plane that lies in front of you in the distance. The Golden Legion attacked Av as it grew close to the Gyre, killing and enslaving various fey, kidnapping the Unseen Court's monarch, Thisraldion; as well as capturing the head monk of the Kinava Monks of Caeloon, Master Chyak.
Aleith|DM: Through your looking glasses (or gun scopes), you can make out an industrial fortress clinging to a two-sided volcano floating in space, dominated with golden machinery.
Gerald: "Wow this is just about the dumbest looking thing I've ever seen. Come get a look at this shit Zane."
Garrett: "When we get out of this, and institute flying for everyone by rearranging the universe,"
Garrett: "We should call all these flying things 'planes.'"
[OOC] Aleith|DM: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/537097790023532563/555904683433132033/unknown.png
[OOC] Aleith|DM: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/537097790023532563/555904749514391570/unknown.png
Zane: "… Wow. Also that's a stupid name. Planes are flat, if something is going to fly it needs angled propellers or curd cured-top wings."
[OOC] Zane: "John Wayne? That's a terrible cowboy name!"
Gerald: "Yeah, not feelin' it."
Aleith|DM: Gerald and Phyllis can tell while examining it that the volcano produces a self-destructive amount of heat and magma. It looks like it should already have erupted, so somehow the machinery of the fortress must be siphoning away some of the energy.
Garrett: "Well, we'll workshop it."
Gerald: "…They're using the volcano as an engine…"
Gerald: "I want to blow that up *so much*."
Garrett‘ glances at Ernst, wordlessly asking if that passes the smell test.
Zane: "I’ll allow it once we have the hostages rescued."
Gerald: "Oh right."
Ernst: "Once we have everything settled, I don't care what you do, yeah."
Garrett: "No, I mean, the engine bit."
Ernst shrugs. "I've seen weirder things here. I'd have to examine it."
Phyllis: "Can we at least see what the trait is here before you do so?"
Zane looks at Phyllis. At the thousands of devils swarming over the rock. "Probably not?"
Gerald: "I'm sure the giant double sized volcano, home and vehicle to a race of demonic slavers, is definitely going to have that elusive Good Trait you've been hoping for, especially after that last run of traits…"
Aleith|DM: Well, you've been studying it for a while….
Aleith|DM: Nature and Insight?
Gerald‘ rolled d20+23 and got 1 ( Total: 24 )
d20+23: 11 [Total: 34]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 58
Aleith|DM: …Chandrasekhar auto-passes DC 40 Insight.
Phyllis autopasses Nature, for sure.
Aleith|DM: No, I see +30
[OOC] Phyllis: oh i thought it was DC 30
Aleith|DM: Studying the plane to determine the trait is harder than making an icon.
Aleith|DM: The key point there is time required.
[OOC] Phyllis: also whoops it should be 31
Phyllis also confers with her familiar sprite. [Insightful Councilor]: Once per milestone, when you make an Arcana, History, or Nature check, roll 2 d20s, take the higher roll.
Phyllis rolled 2#d20+31(1) and got 7 ( Total: 38.0 )
Also rolled 2#d20+31(2) and got 9 [Total: 40.0 (Low), Avg: 9.00]
Total: 78.0, Avg: 8.00
Aleith|DM: Planar Trait: Fantastic grand industry will develop, driven by greed. This will not necessarily lead to evil, but it must be carefully balanced against to avoid dystopia.
Chandrasekhar looks disgusted.
Garrett` tilts his head. "Don’t we already have this trait…?"
Phyllis: "Aheheheheheh."
Gerald: "Not quite."
Zane: "Close enough."
Gerald: "It's the difference between me being able to make this," he gestures towards his blaster, :because I am crafty and inventive, and, say, Pembertone being able to mass produce things like this airship with the goal of selling thousands of them, I think. "
Zane doesnt *say* that Pemberton isnt going to be manufacturing anything except blood and agonized screams once he gets back… but he's probably thinking it pretty loudly.
Chandrasekhar: "I'm sure you could find a way to make a line of custom-branded guns that'd be all the rage if you believed in yourself and worked hard, Gerald. Mr. Bieito, how do you -crack a plane in two-?" There's an uncharacteristically violent spring in his step.
Zane: "With a very long lever?"
Garrett: "It was definitely more of a deadpan commentary on historical and current-day labor and capital relations."
Gerald: "Oh."
Zane: "Oh I know. i was just pondering the physics of making it literal."
Aleith|DM: You have a state-of-the-art airship, as well as a giant flying paper monastery with a few dozen monks on hand. What's your plan?
Zane looks at the island, drumming his fingers on the rail. "I almost wonder if I could go in and get Thisraldion and the Grand Master on my own, to avoid a fight."
Garrett‘ advises the monks. "I know that looks are deceiving. But I gotta say, it looks like you’re one flicked ember away from an airborne bonfire."
Garrett: "Please let me know now if this is the case."
Phyllis: "Extraction is important, first off. We can't just go in there, dynamite sticks lit."
Chandrasekhar: "Utter demolishment is the satisfying reward we get for a job well done, yes. One liberates, -then- one destroys the captors utterly."
Zane: "That would be why I'd need to go alone. You are all dear friends, but quite frankly the only one of you with more subtlety and finesse than a rock is Garrett."
Gerald: "Hey, I can be sneaky when I want to. I just usually don't have a reason to."
Calily: "Admittedly, against the firey spells of the Golden Legion, we are at a disadvantage, but the monastery can fold away parts of it targeted by their cannons."
Ernst: "I'll just sit back until you need me, then."
Garrett: "That sounds amazing and stressful, so the Coaltongue will take point."
Phyllis: "You haven't seen my newest cantrip, I assume, Zane?"
Garrett: "We'll need to find our trapped compatriots first- I don't suppose any of the once-imprisoned-and-maybe-bought-and-sold monks knows anything about the layout of this plane or the patterns of devils?"
Zane: "You assume correctly."
Gerald‘ fiddles with the scanner to see if he can get something of a floor plan of the volcano with it.
Phyllis winks out, veils of invisible cloth wrapping her, concealing her from sight. [Chameleon Mask] "Ah, but how could you even see it?"
Aleith|DM: Unfortunately, the monks were imprisoned by the pirates, not the devils.
Garrett: "Hm."
Zane: "You know, Ursinho, it is incredibly vexing to realize I have spent my entire life cultivating a certain set of skills only to realize that you can effortlessly duplicate them through wizardry and still have a myriad thousand other tricks up your sleeve."
Phyllis: "It has its limits." Within a matter of seconds, she’s visible again.
Phyllis: "Sustainability, for one."
Zane: "Mm."
Phyllis: "But you make a salient point, and that's something I wish to fix for everyone. Why do you think I am so insistent on rearranging the planes?"
Zane: "To get rid of magic entirely?"
Phyllis: "It is to level the playing field, so that others do not fall prey to limitations they needlessly adhere to."
Phyllis: "The opposite."
Zane chuckles.
Phyllis: "That's the great sorrow, isn't it? Like Triegenes, I want to blaze a trail for others to follow, not reach the top and place a stranglehold on the populace, as Nicodemus seeks to do."
Garrett: "I guess we have to do this the old fashioned way…"
Zane: "I don't know, there's a time and a place for a good stranglehold…"
Garrett: "Wait, hang on,"
Garrett: "Didn't we do this before, dressed up like devils and blended in?"
Zane: "That was my plan yes."
Aleith|DM: You do get a bit of a reading on the interior, Gerald:
[OOC] Aleith|DM: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/537097790023532563/555918877691871236/unknown.png
Gerald: "When we had one of their ships… but anyway, here's a general layout of the inside."
Gerald: "At a guess, I'd assume that area near the top would be where they control it, but otherwise."
Phyllis: "I suppose if you detect the planar energies of Av and Caeloon, you can find a trail to the prisoners."
Aleith|DM: Rooms 10-18 are mirrored, with equivalent locations on both the port and starboard side of the fortress.
Gerald: "Especially since it's the only thing not doubled up on both sides."
Zane drums his fingers some more as he studies the maps. "Yeah, that makes sense." He nods at Phyllis. "That was how I planned to track them down."
Aleith|DM: Rooms 1-5 are also mirrored, being the two towers towards the front of the plane.
Zane: "What I really need is a diversion. If the Coaltongue could destroy one of the rear engines, for example. But I worry about rousing the fortress and them flying out en masse."
Garrett: "So… where would they fly out of, then?"
Garrett: "If we could ground all of the smaller ships first…"
Zane keeps his glasses trained on the volcanos. "I am hoping to see a ship leave or return so I can learn exactly that."
Gerald: "Well…"
Gerald: "What do we know about devils? Lets assume it's the dumbest possible thing."
Gerald: "I bet they come out the bottom."
Garrett: "If we're lucky it's only from one or two places, but."
Zane: "Out the calderas?"
Phyllis: "Should we wait until reconnaisance from - ah, you have it, I see."
Chandrasekhar snortlaughs at Gerald.
Chandrasekhar: "Can't you build a gun that'll just shoot them in every possible port of egress simultaneously? Tsk."
Gerald: "Not *quickly*."
Aleith|DM: Phyllis is pretty sure that the two towers on the front have some kinda of magical attack they can launch forward, similar to the Coaltongue's Brand.
Zane cocks an eyebrow at the cannon floating behind him. "Sadly this doesn't shoot for literal miles, only a thousand feet."
Aleith|DM: You can spot 9 large fusils pointing from area 6, and from the sides on area 11
Aleith|DM: There's dozens of smaller fusils scattered around the rest of the volcano, covering all directions.
Garrett: "Okay, flipside-"
Gerald: "Oh."
Garrett: "How long do you think it would take this entire thing to implode? I mean, it is… -really big-."
Gerald: "Actually I had a dumb idea."
Aleith|DM: ….seriously? Minutes.
Aleith|DM: And the mountain would probably not completely explode.
Gerald: "Couldn't we send one of our old communication feathers to them and then just let Zane follow that?"
Aleith|DM: They need to be holding a feather for that to work.
Aleith|DM: The orb for communication only travels between them.
Garrett: "…Hey, wait a second."
Garrett: "I could just, like…"
Garrett: "Ask the plane itself."
Phyllis: "Go on."
Garrett: "It's a giant building!"
Gerald: "Also fine."
Aleith|DM: You need to be touching it to do Object Reading.
Zane: "Hm. You could also open up an escape tunnel once we find them."
Garrett: "Okay. So now I just need to get onto the plane itself."
Garrett: "I can fly in and shade myself from any errant stars, should be fine."
Zane: "Not alone."
Garrett: "'course not. I'll also need to relay where they are."
Garrett: "And my telepathy's only so distant."
Garrett: "(Ask me five years ago if I'd ever string together those sentences and I'd say 'only on a feyweed muffin.')"
Gerald: "No doubt.
Zane: "Things have gotten a little weird even for us, yes."
Garrett: "Anyway, that settles for at least getting an idea of where they are."
Garrett: "Portaling them out is fine, but then getting them from plane to Coaltongue."
Garrett: "What do we have for that?"
Garrett: "Coaltongue come in fast and hard, and do a quick escape? Pack them in the Absurdist Web?"
Phyllis flips through ritual book. "I might have something here, but my Arcane Gates can reach about 400 feet, and there's the Ab - yes."
Chandrasekhar: "Ernst's plane? A very angry Eladrin holding the line whilst we evacuate them? I don't know."
Ernst shrugs. "I could shove people in my astral seed and let them out when we get out if you want."
Zane nods. "I was planning on stuffing them into the Web if I went in alone. And not just because the symmetry of stuffing Thisraldion into the same trap that held Rock Rackus appealed to my sense of humor."
Garrett: "Do we have any sort of mass-concealment option, for getting from here to there at least."
Garrett: "Even tunneling through walls, I think we'd be extremely lucky if they have a window cell."
Gerald: "Honestly, probably just take one of the smaller intercepters and have Phyllis illusion it to look like one of theirs."
Garrett‘ looks at Phyllis.
Phyllis: "I don’t think I have anything at that scale, not for anything that's not natural terrain."
Gerald: "Guess magic isn't the solution to everything after all."
Zane: "Hah."
Phyllis: "The greatest illusion I've cast is that of my omnipotence!"
Garrett: "Okay, so-"
Garrett: "The plan as she has developed-"
Garrett: "A number of you that stand out are going for a little ride in either the web or Ernst's seed."
Garrett: "Zane and I will inconspicously float on down to the plane, where the structure and I will have a little chat."
Garrett: "Once we get the idea of where they are and possibly where interceptors can fly out of, we'll find an entryway to solve both those problems."
Garrett: "Then we're sacking everyone out of interdimensional spaces and lowering hell back to where it came from."
Garrett: "Once extraction is happening-" he turns to the crew of the Coaltongue, and also the monks.
Garrett: "Flares will happen. Flares, explosions, if we hijack a cannon, maybe that too- if we can figure out how to make one shoot rainbows, you'll know that's us."
Garrett: "I want the Coaltongue to draw fire, be obnoxious, loud, explosive- just not by getting hit by cannon flak."
Garrett: "Draw their fire so the monastery can pick us back up, or get closer to us, or what have you
Garrett: "Fold down to make it faster or however you want to do it so long as it's fast."
Garrett: "Then we can figure out how best to sink this oversized slaver ship."
Calily: "Alright. I should stay aboard the ship then?"
Garrett‘ grins. "Want to come with, instead?"
Garrett: "I doubt few know Master Chyak more than you."
Aleith|DM: She grins back. "We could take a few of the others with us in those spaces if you like. Up to you."
Garrett: "Prepare room for several more, then."
Zane: "A small strike force. Not too many, half a dozen."
Zane: "Too many beyond that and we start tripping over ourselves more than the enemy."
Calily nods. "Alright. Give me a few minutes." She whispers a chant with the origami crane in hand, and it unfolds into a doorway on the deck of the ship. She disappears inside for some moments.
Aleith|DM: Afterwards she comes out with seven other monks. They bow to you, and then the doorway collapses into the origami shape again, with the seventh monk staying behind on the ship.
Garrett: "Alright."
Garrett: "Everyone else, to your extradimensional pockets! Coaltongue crew, keep a wide berth and keep to the sky for the rainbow!"
Zane enfolds people in the Web as needed.
[OOC] Garrett: an eye to the sky
Garrett` shifts his Sylvan leathers around him a bit, pulls up its hood.
Gerald: "Alright then."
Zane has one of those personal glider staffs borrowed from one of the monks, and he leans it against the rail as he adjusts his weapon harness one last time. "Ready?"
Phyllis steps into the Absurdist’s Web. Flight is for the birds.
Aleith|DM: Alright. You take off towards Egalitrix. Stealth checks.
Garrett‘ rolled 1d20+34 and got 20 ( Total: 54 )
Zane rolled d20+32 and got 18 ( Total: 50 )
Garrett` tips over the rail of the Coaltongue. Silence.
Zane grabs his glider and vaults the rail, descending without a sound. OK, maybe taking flight away form the world is a bad idea, if he can do this back home…
Aleith|DM: You manage to weave your flight down towards the double-volcano with grace and style. Even when you notice some devils lurking on the surface, you manage to arrange yourselves so that you’re not backlit by the edges of the Gyre, and instead with the darkness.
Aleith|DM: You manage to land near the top of the volcanic caldera, above that interior area nearby.
Zane folds the glider down into its inconspicuous staff form and slips it into a sheathe across his back. "That was more fun than it had any right to be."
Garrett‘ lands, hunched over in a kneel, blending as a bump on the mouth of the volcano.
Garrett: "Flight is -so good-."
Garrett` packs a tiny bit of feyweed into the back of his mouth. [Urban Bond]
Garrett: "We only had to get by like this, before…"
Garrett: "Well, anyway."
Aleith|DM: There’s an old intelligence to this place. Old and industrious…and greedy. What would you like to ask.
Garrett‘ rolled 1d20+27 and got 5 ( Total: 32 )
Zane: "I can’t complain, it was the only reason my people were able to overthrow their dragon masters."
Garrett: "[Thisraldion's location?]"
Aleith|DM: You see the monarch kept in a gilded cage, surrounded by golden statuary and art objects, in a room towards the front of the volcano. [Room 5]
Garrett‘ produces the makeshift map they made up while in planning. "Our boy’s up close to here," he points.
Garrett: "[Master Chyak's location?]"
Aleith|DM: You see a long room, with channels of lava running down the sides towards the caldera below. A long table with a dozen or so demons sitting at it, and the head of the table has a large demon with a larger greatsword. Behind him, wrapped with golden chains, stands the old monk. A view port is looks out into space behind them. They aren't very far away from you. [Room 19]
Garrett: "Well, there's gonna be fireworks one way or another." He traces a finger off the map and points in the direction of Room 19 relative to where they are, just down the volcano a bit.
Garrett: "There's our master monk."
Garrett: "And he is definitely in the company of many bad dudes."
Zane: "Hm."
Zane: "Rescue him first and then get Thisraldion in the confusion after, or sneak Thisraldion out first and make our immediate escape?"
Aleith|DM: You've got 3 more questions.
Garrett: "Does this situation read to you like Chyak's in the presence of commanders?"
Zane: "From the way you described it, aye."
Garrett‘ turns back to the ground.
Garrett: "[Landing bays for devil interceptor flying ships?]"
Aleith|DM: There’s an image of the surface of the metal superstructure, near where it joins the volcano. A half-dozen windskiffs are secured and ready to launch with just a few moment's surface [Room 8]. Thick mechanical hatches lead below to more of them. [Room 9].
[OOC] Aleith|DM: a few moment's notice
Garrett‘ traces a finger down the map, pointing out the interceptor areas.
Garrett: "We may actually get a good way out if we pick up Thisraldion second and are fast enough."
Garrett: "Not just sow chaos, but gods, it’d be amazing if we could somehow get the devils squabbling amongst themselves over who would properly become commander next."
Garrett: "I mean, I don't know any of these guys, but I'm willing to bet they're power hungry."
Zane nods. "That's why I put it out there as an option."
Garrett: "[Main control for the plane's volcano engine?]"
Aleith|DM: You see a room on the wing with a huge turbine, fueled by magmatic energy, which is connected to hte propellors at the wingtip and along the aft of the ship. They appear heavily armoured, but they require over a couple hundred demons to keep running. The image overlaps slightly with another similar room. [Rooms 14]
Garrett‘ chuckles. "Heh. Throwing this place into chaos may itself cause it to collapse."
Garrett` explains what he saw.
Zane: "Mm. Between us taking out the leader and the Coaltongue taking out an engine or two, this place is finished."
Zane unpacks the rest of the party from the Absurdist Web. "if we’re starting the fight sooner rather than later, best to have them on hand now."
Garrett: "Uhhhhhhhh let's see. [Closest entryway from us to Room 19]?"
Phyllis topples over, then dusts herself as she gets up. Assuming she wasn't otherwise disturbed.
Aleith|DM: Assuming you don't mean the window…. There's a flight of stairs up from the flight deck [8] upwards through the mountain.
Gerald: "Funny how we always wind up going with my solution of shooting people in the end…"
Garrett‘ fills everyone in on knowledge.
Zane: "Its not the only solution, but it is a solution. And in this case I am not particularly interested in negotiating."
Phyllis: "Long as it works."
Garrett: "Okay everyone! Window infiltration."
Garrett: "Light ’em up and don't hit the monks."
Zane: "I'll see what I can do to get the grand Master out of his chains."
Gerald‘ flips up the dials on his blaster and takes point.
Zane passes the staff back to Calily. "When I have the time, you must show me how to make one."
Chandrasekhar: "Well done."
Aleith|DM: Making your way down the volcano slope a bit, you find the viewport. Not far below it is some of the magma below it.
Aleith|DM: Inside the room, you can see ten of the Legion’s Elite Stars in groups of 5, and two of the Pit Devils. At the head of the table is His Celestial Eruption, General Paelyrion XVIII. And behind him, closer to the window, is the enchained Master Chyak. Garrett can just barely make out a Ravant in a secret room at the edge of his tremorsense.
Aleith|DM: You prepare for your dynamic entry….

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License