Zg Session 13

Aleith|DM: From Stray River, you take a carriage over to Pardwright University, back to the hospital morgue where Professor Lynn Kindleton teaches in the afternoons.
Phyllis: Wight. It's Pardwight.
Aleith|DM: Yes, my mistake.
Aleith|DM: She's in the middle of a demonstration for her class at the moment. Choosing to interrupt? There's an hour left in the class according to the schedule outside the door.
[OOC] Garrett: I interrupt if we're still covered in ashes and black cougar blood (I do not interrupt)
Zane is willing to wait, and listen to the lecture.
Aleith|DM: Jaguar blood, actually, but I would have figured you cleaned up a bit at the Square before heading out to meet with Mr. Cippiano earlier.
Ernst listens in on the lecture. It's honestly a welcome change from what he's had to deal with lately.
[OOC] Zane: Nah Garrett had a rough interlude with some older women…
Phyllis -does- have a few scrolls of Fastidiousness…
[OOC] Garrett: sam knows me
Aleith|DM: Fair enough.
Aleith|DM: Seems to be a different class from the one a few days ago, Zane, but still a similar topic.
Aleith|DM: Once her students stream out of the class, she begins packing up materials.
Zane gives the students time to shuffle out before quietly making his way down to her podium. "Professor Kindleton, you sent word…?"
Zane: "If we might have a word." is obviously what he actually said there.
Chandrasekhar is willing to wait, yeah. He's patient.
Kindleton: "Ah, constables…? Considerate of you to wait until class is out again."
Zane smiles. "An education is a key part of a well-lived life."
Kindleton: "I'm glad you agree."
Garrett: "That and staying out of trouble."
Aleith|DM: Lynn looks a bit nervous, glancing off to the side before looking back. "I'm not sure what you mean."
Garrett: "Some of us were problem children, is all. And education isn't always the first or last word in escaping a pinch."
Garrett: "So that's why the RHC is here to help."
Kindleton: "Help? I still haven't heard from Wolfgang yet. Although that Officer Porter showed up right after you left, asking the same questions about him."
Phyllis: "And whose badge IDs checked out?"
Chandrasekhar gives Kindleton an _impeccably, perfectly polite_ side-eye. "Are you sure you haven't heard from him yet?" Faint smile.
Kindleton: "Well, all three did. Porter is with the Nettles police department."
Zane: "Really. That is unexpected."
Gerald: "…Huh…"
Aleith|DM: She looks at Chandrasekhar. "…okay, I have. He set up a message system."
Phyllis tilts her head, staring gently into Kindleton's eyes, -almost- invoking a [Suggestion] spell to more … forcibly coax the truth out of her. She stops short, though.
Chandrasekhar catches Zane's eye briefly after he asks her that question, one corner of one eye narrowed ever-so-slightly, but then he can smile with ~genuine~ relief. "Ahh, yes. Thank you."
Kindleton: "Every day I leave a letter at the butcher shop downstairs from my apartment, and a messenger comes from the Nettles, delivers a letter from Wolfgang, then takes my letter and a supply of meat and other foods back to the him."
Zane: "Aha."
Kindleton: "I don't know where he is, if that's what you're asking."
Zane: "No. But the errand boy will."
Kindleton: "He comes by a bit before my morning classes start, around 8, 8:30?"
Zane: "Excellent. If you have sent him a message about us already, I do hope you specified we were only looking to talk."
Kindleton: "Nothing specifically, just that the RHC and the police were both looking for him."
Zane: "Well that's sure to not make him squirrely as hell when we finally find him."
Kindleton: "Sorry."
Zane: "Oh well."
Garrett: "It'll be okay, in the end."
Kindleton: "What are you going to do when you find him?"
Zane: "Talk to him, amusingly enough."
Kindleton: "And then what?"
Zane: "See if we can get him safely out of town. Away from this thing chasing him."
Kindleton: "I can mention you in tomorrow's note, or give you one to take with you if you think you can find him before then. Hopefully he'll listen to you then."
Zane: "Tomorrows note would work fine, I think."
Garrett: "Yeah he's really not… in trouble with -us-, per se."
Garrett: "Anyway, you get the idea."
Phyllis: "Agreed."
Kindleton: "Alright, I'll put that in tomorrow's letter, that the RHC constables-including Zane and Phyllis, right?-are asking to speak with him, and to help him with his stalker and to get out of town. That sound about right?"
Zane: "Absolutely."
Zane: "I still don't trust Porter, even if his badge checks out."
Chandrasekhar nods. See how reasonable the RHC is~?
Aleith|DM: She nods. "I don't either. Thank you for helping Wolfgang."
Zane: "He seems to be in a fairly tight pinch between a monster and a criminal overlord."
Phyllis: "Porter fits the exact description of the monster that was stalking him, by the way. I don't know if we mentioned his, uh. Shadowy origins."
Aleith|DM: She looks a bit aghast. "I'm glad you warned me about him, then."
Phyllis: "It could just be a case of similar faces and mistaken identity. Still."
Zane: "I wouldn't put money on it."
Aleith|DM: You head back to headquarters and discuss your latest findings with Delft. He says a couple of constables and some cops will check the docks tonight, and you can join them if you wish. Otherwise, after filing some paperwork that you'd normally be doing the next morning, you can head home.
Gerald‘ figures the might as well get some rest since they’re apparently going to have an early day tomorrow.
Aleith|DM: Zane: At the Nettles police station, you find out that there is an Officer James Porter on file at the station, but he's out 'on assignment' at the moment and isn't in very often.
Aleith|DM: No one's quite sure what the assignment is…?
Zane: "Hm. His name has crossed my path a time or two. Can I get a description, just so I know who I am looking for?"
Ernst ends up laying down at the office for a bit until he's needed tomorrow.
[OOC] Aleith|DM: My bad, Roger Porter
Aleith|DM: Just taller than average height, black hair, brown eyes, pencil thin mustache. A few people have spoken with him, but most have just seen him around once in a while briefly before he ducks back out.
Chandrasekhar: "Hm."
Zane: "Appreciated."
Clerk: "You're welcome, Constable."
Aleith|DM: Summer 5
Zane: The poison of the day is… Carrion Crawler Brain Juice
Aleith|DM: You meet up near the butcher shop with Lynn's office above it…a bit before 8?
Chandrasekhar makes sure everyone's awake and together, they have an appointment to keep!
Gerald‘ is there bright and early, with a brighter and shinier gun!
Garrett` gets a coffee from a cafe near the butcher’s shop. He'll be watching.
Phyllis is in tow with Garrett and another coffee.
Zane shows up a little later than the rest, sipping some sort of black liquid that might have been coffee at some point.
Aleith|DM: It's shortly after 8 when a boy heads over to the butcher shop.
Zane hangs back, no point in spooking the person they need to follow.
Aleith|DM: Prof. Kindleton meets with him and they exchange letters, which the boy puts in his pocket before grabbing the bag of meat from the butcher and heading back out.
Gerald‘ begins trailing!
Zane fades into the crowd as he follows the boy. His hat occasionally changes to a different shape and design, to help shed casual scrutiny.
Chandrasekhar isn’t very good at being sneaky, but he's okay at hiding unthreateningly in plain sight and not seeming like anybody's problem, so between that and hanging well back unless there's a disturbance, he should be fine?
Ernst isn't particularly stealthy so he's keeping his distance.
Garrett‘ tails the mysterious, morphing hat.
Phyllis is also keeping with the non-stealthy crew. Luckily, Gale’s provided them with at least some form of communication in the feathers.
Aleith|DM: The boy heads to the northeast, snacking on a piece of pepperoni as he walks.
Aleith|DM: He doesn't notice you following him.
Gerald‘ can’t imagine the kid is even on the look out for tail.
Zane is more than happy to let the young man proceed on his way to Doctor Wolfgang.
Aleith|DM: Probably not, huh?
Aleith|DM: The boy heads into the Nettles, ending up at a house kinda in the middle of it. It's not the church that Morgan told you about, but it's close.
Aleith|DM: The boy heads inside.
Zane finds a good spot on the wall to lean against and eavesdrop through the window.
Aleith|DM: Sounds like he's meeting with someone inside. The boy calls out he's here, drops off his stuff, then an older man grunts and gives him a few coins, before the boy heads back out.
Phyllis speaks into one of the feathers: "Keep us posted."
Zane lets the kid depart, then waves the rest of the squad closer, but not up to the door yet. Gotta give Wolfgang time to read the note.
Gerald: "So… Just head on in I guess?"
Aleith|DM: You can hear a bit of ruffling in the bag, and then the opening of the letter.
Aleith|DM: It's pretty quiet though, just the letter being removed after the seal's been opened, no tearing noises.
Zane gestures the rest of the squad up to the front door and circles around to the back.
Phyllis nods and follows Zane as directed.
Zane knocks on the back door. "Doctor Wolfgang? My name is Zane. Your friend Professor Kindleton should have spoken about me in her letter…"
Garrett‘ hides just right around the front door, also listening out to see if he makes a window exit.
Aleith|DM: A gruff man answers the door, "look, I don’t know what you're talking about. No solicitors." He sounds like he's from Flint, and definitely doesn't look like the Doctor's decription.
Ernst scratches his head and waits at the front door.
Zane: "Ah. Another intermediary. Please, I am not in fact a solicitor. Just looking for the man that letter is supposed to reach."
Aleith|DM: The man cracks his knuckles. "Get lost."
Zane: "Friend. You /really/ don't want to do that."
Tough: "Oh yeah?" He starts closing the door.
[OOC] Garrett: aleith can I pick the front door's lock
Aleith|DM: Sure. Thievery check?
Garrett‘ rolled 1d20+11 and got 5 ( Total: 16 )
Aleith|DM: Eh, good enough. The locks around here aren’t always the greatest quality.
Garrett‘ doesn’t open the door quite yet.
Chandrasekhar gives Garrett a thumbs up.
Aleith|DM: The back door closes in your face.
Zane's face.
Zane grins. "Just deliver the letter, please."
Zane heads around front to the rest of the squad. "Wasn't expecting another cut-out. Also he opened the letter, but I don't think he's read it."
Garrett‘ jerks a thumb to the door, gives a questioning nod.
Zane: "Let it ride, for now. If he hasn’t made the delivery in an hour or two, I'll knock again."
Garrett‘ nods and backs away, low and slow.
Gerald` sighs, goes to find a nearby roof to climb up on and wait.
Phyllis: "How would you tell?"
Aleith|DM: Several minutes later, the gruff man heads out the back carrying a couple of bags-the extra one seems to have some bread in it. He takes off down the alleys.
Zane follows discretely. The Hat of Hats does its thing.
Aleith|DM: Stealth check?
Phyllis: "Ah."
Zane rolled d20+13 and got 7 ( Total: 20 )
Aleith|DM: He looks around for pursuit, but doesn’t make you.
Gerald‘ follows after him, hopping down when needed.
Garrett` shadows.
Aleith|DM: It’s only a few blocks away where the man heads to, a rocky cliff face in The Nettles. There is a surprising amount of empty space around the cliff side, which has an unremarkable tunnel entrance hidden amongst the tangle of brush, vines, and tumbled stones. He heads inside the tunnel.
Garrett‘ exhales, and creeps after- peering into the tunnel first.
Gerald` glances down the tunnel, glances back at Chandrasekhar for a moment… shrugs in Zane’s direction.
Aleith|DM: There's actually several people lined out outside the tunnel entrance, and a couple of people outside keeping them from entering.
Garrett‘ o
Garrett: "(What’s this about, then…)"
Zane hangs back to ind out exactly that.
Aleith|DM: The people lined up outside are asking the people standing out front to let them in-they've heard there's a doctor inside and are asking for them to let him see their children or husbands.
Aleith|DM: There's a few more inside the tunnel keeping watch as well.
Aleith|DM: As the gruff man is let through, there's a bit of an uproar about them letting him through.
Aleith|DM: They quiet down after a bit, but some of them have come with their children (they seem sick) or the aforementioned husband (who's nursing a…missing thumb), and they're a bit impatient.
Phyllis winces at the uproar. "Hey, Ernst, Chandra. Do you think you two could help out the crowd a little?"
Ernst glances to his side before nodding. "I'm not a doctor, but I can see what I can do." He makes his way to some of the people in line to see if he can do anything to help.
Aleith|DM: You can help out with some of them-referring some medicine or herbs for the sick children and the like-but the thumb would require surgery.
Gerald: "Looks like there's only the one way in…? So."
Ernst is mostly dealing with the not as urgent wasting the good doctors time patients yes.
Aleith|DM: The guards (well, people standing guard. They look like normal slum-dwellers too) ask what you want.
Aleith|DM: Though they seem a bit relieved that you're calming them down.
Ernst: "I'm here to see the doctor. There's a queue so I'm thinning it."
Guard: "We're not letting you in."
Zane: "Yet."
Gerald: "He should be expecting us actually?"
Aleith|DM: The gruff man from earlier exits through the tunnel, then looks at Zane. "No, you definitely aren't going in."
Gerald‘ pulls out his badge, shows it to the guards in turn.
Aleith|DM: One of the guards looks at the man. "Look, man, you ain’t paying enough to turn away the constables."
Zane: "Hm. That is unfortunate. Did the good doctor say why?"
Phyllis: "You're also assuming this man actually delivered the letter."
Zane: "Well yes."
Chandrasekhar talks to a few people who honestly just need a bit of calming-down. "We're far more interested in helping him than in causing a ruckus."
Thug: "Nobody sees the doctor. Especially the cops. He's under Kell's protection, you see?"
Gerald‘ gives an exagurated sigh.
Zane: "Its lucky for us that we’re not here to hurt the good doctor, then."
Garrett: "We're really not trying to make this line any longer than it has to be."
Gerald: "I really don't wanna do this the hard way, even if Zane does."
Aleith|DM: Diplomacy? Intimidate?
Gerald: "He makes me fill out the incident reports."
Ernst just continues to help out the line for the time being.
Garrett‘ rolled 1d20+10 and got 10 ( Total: 20 ) for diplo
Phyllis: "Under what terms does that protection end? Does he still need to pay you, or has that been handled?"
Chandrasekhar: "Kell’s protection can't possibly be worth what he's charging if we showed up at your door."
Aleith|DM: The thug looks at the six of you and seems to be doing some mental math. You can almost see the gears turning in his head. "…you just wanna talk, right?"
Zane looks at the thug, a small smile curling up just behind his tusks. "That is what I said earlier, and what we are saying now. Yes, we only want to talk."
Aleith|DM: He's reluctant, but… "Alright, fine. Come on."
Aleith|DM: He leads you inside.
Zane: "Your understanding is appreciated."
Aleith|DM: The 'guards' get out of your way as you pass.
Garrett: "Thank you, gentlemen."
Aleith|DM: After the tunnel appears to be the remains of a chapel. Broken and tattered pews lie around the room.
Aleith|DM: Just inside, the thug grabs a torch and lights it before heading deeper in.
Gerald: "Huh."
Phyllis: "Yeah. I don't exactly agree with Kell, but I'm not really willing to bust some heads over one of the few beneficial services he provides."
Aleith|DM: The door at the other end is long gone. The thug points out a trip wire near the ground you should step over that's attached to a cluster of small bells-an alarm.
Chandrasekhar nods approvingly.
Zane: "Ah, thank you."
Aleith|DM: This larger room has seen better days-of the four pillars that were in it, one has crumbled and the other has toppled, and a broad flooded sump fills half the room.
Aleith|DM: He leads you to the left, then kneels down near some rubble and turns off another trap. This one…doesn't seem like it was merely an alarm.
Aleith|DM: Past it, there's a black curtain blocking the way, with some light creeping out around the edges.
Aleith|DM: He knocks on the wall beside it while opening it. "Look sharp, there's some people here to see the doctor!"
Phyllis turns to Kell's man. "They're as understanding about this as you are, right?"
Aleith|DM: He sighs. "For now."
Aleith|DM: A few other thugs stand around, but past an old storage room you find the kitchen, which seems to be where the Doctor was staying.
Aleith|DM: The doctor, in his late 30s, looks up from the letter he's reading as you approach.
Phyllis: "Wolfgang." She nods.
Gerald: "I would have picked the side without water on the ground, personally…"
Wolfgang: "What can I help you folks with? Most people don't get let through." He's got that northern accent and the goatee matching his description.
Zane: "Doctor. Please, finish the letter. We can wait."
Aleith|DM: There's also a rapier hanging from his belt, though he's still seated.
Phyllis: "In addition to what the letter mentions, you might remember the spirit I sent after you. … apologies if that was unpleasant to deal with."
Aleith|DM: He nods, and gets back to reading. There's only a couple of pages. After the second page, he looks up- "Graham, there seems to be an inkspill on this page. Did you happen to see what it said before that?"
Aleith|DM: The thug-Graham-frowns. "It…said that the RHC wanted to talk with you."
Graham: "And that the professor thought you should listen to them."
Wolfgang: "Aha. Very well."
Garrett: "One heck of a spill."
Chandrasekhar manages to hold back the laugh into a sort of wry smile.
Wolfgang: "It seemed a bit fresh, too."
Zane chuckles. "And so, inkblot not withstanding… thank you Graham… here we are."
Wolfgang: "Now, gentlemen-and lady-what can I speak with you about?"
Zane: "We would be the aforementioned RHC. I am Zane, that is Phyllis. The others are Ernst, Gerald, Garrett, and Singh."
Wolfgang: "I believe you already know me to be Wolfgang von Recklinghausen."
Garrett: "We're here to ask a few questions pertaining to Nilasa Hume."
Wolfgang: "Of course."
Zane: "And about the creature you are hiding from."
Phyllis folds her arms. "… there's a litany of questions. We were investigating the death of Nilasa Hume, and discovered your involvement with the case. You're not under suspicion, but we'd be grateful for any information you have."
Phyllis: "Plus, like Zane mentioned, it seems we have a common enemy."
Garrett: "Well, I mean."
Garrett: "We -know- you didn't kill her."
Phyllis nods. "But we're trying to track down the other players in the case that did."
Wolfgang: "Very well. As you probably heard, I was at the Consulate trying to arrange a passport to Ber that morning. So much paperwork at both consulates."
Chandrasekhar: "Some things never change, I suppose."
Phyllis: "You left some behind in the alleyways in your haste, I think."
Zane: "Well if we don't employ the bureocrats somehow they will simply ly around and be useless for free."
Wolfgang: "I heard a shot and rushed outside, only to find the poor woman I spoke with a bit earlier while waiting impaled on the fence. She gave me a bundle of documents she stole and her necklace-" He reaches inside his shirt and pulls out a golden necklace with a canary icon on it before handing it to you. "-and asked me to take these to Nevard Sechim."
Garrett‘ nods along. "But then?"
Wolfgang: "I could tell she was already not long for this world, took the documents and ran, but not before a man all in black-shadows?-contronted me in the alley. I slashed him with my blade-beings of Shadow do not mix with Malice-wrought blades-and flagged down a carriage before making my escape back to my hotel."
Wolfgang: "After gathering up my things, I ran to Lorcan Kell’s guid for protection from that thing. After giving him what I had, he sent me here for protection while he made arrangements for a passport."
Chandrasekhar makes a mental note to get some Malice-wrought blades commissioned for the RHC, whatever those are.
Phyllis nods and takes the necklace. "We can get these to Nevard, if you want."
Aleith|DM: He glances at Graham. "I'm not sure they were going to follow up on that." Graham just scowls deeper.
Zane chuckles. "Well. We can certainly follow up on that."
Chandrasekhar: "We were concerned about that as well!" Cheery smile.
Wolfgang: "I took a bit of a glance over the documents, and it paints an interesting picture. I've kept them hidden while I was here, so it wasn't much, but…"
Wolfgang: "A good portion of them are reports and notes written by Security Chief Julian LeBrix, which reference financial irregularities of Danoran-owned
Aleith|DM: factories. The chief posits that there's a campaign of smuggling that explicitly targets Danoran enterprises, though the huge number of reports—covering hundreds of witnesses from dozens of factories—makes it hard to synthesize an accurate narrative from all the data. "
Wolfgang: "Second, there is a detailed report of LeBrix visiting factories and discovering flasks of strange black oil with floating motes of white light in them. It was soon after finding these that his investigation was shut down."
Wolfgang: "The flasks sound like witchoil."
Zane: "They are."
Zane: "We've had… dealings with some if the things its involved in."
Wolfgang: "Various alchemists have learned to refine it from the energy of the Bleak Gate that bleeds into this world. Normally they can only create a few ounces, nowhere near the pint or more LeBrix discovered. The oil, if burned, can stand in for ritual components, but no moral man would use it, since it is composed of souls that were awaiting their final rest."
Garrett‘ picks at one of his ears with a pinky.
Chandrasekhar: "Seems they’re manufacturing it in bulk, for Goddess knows what reason."
Chandrasekhar: "Which is a lovely thought."
Zane: "I wonder…"
Gerald: "I mean, rituals, I'd guess."
Phyllis: "Some other purpose. It's not as if components for rituals are hard to come by."
Garrett: "Yeah it's not the common stuff like copper flakes or bat guano."
Zane: "No, not the purpose. We've run into that fairly obviously. I'm wondering about the well. And I think I know where it is."
Zane: "Roughly."
Phyllis: "The motes of white light. We didn't look into it, but there seem to be golems of the same sort of description on Axis Island."
Zane: "Mm. I'm thinking closer to home. We'll talk about it later. Doctor, could we have those papers please?"
Aleith|DM: The one on Axis Island was larger, but there were some similarities, now that you think about it.
Phyllis: "But that's probably not pertinent to this investigation, yes."
Aleith|DM: The doctor glances at the thugs. "And them?"
Garrett: "I'm sure they're swell fellows."
Garrett: "Not as good looking as the golems, but we all have problems."
Zane shrugs. "If they object, I'm sure we can reach a settlement."
Wolfgang: "Alright, gentlemen. You heard them. I think the RHC can take over from here."
Graham: "But-"
Chandrasekhar: "Let's all tell a little white lie and say nobody here did anything they oughtn't have done, and let them be on their way."
Wolfgang: "I've already paid your boss for your protection. That should be enough."
Zane: "He's not even asking for a refund."
Gerald‘ tilts his head towards Graham. "S’not like he's asking for his money back, and you don't have to look after him anymore. Seems like everyone wins…?"
Aleith|DM: The thugs all look at each other.
Phyllis nods, affirming Wolfgang's statement. She isn't going to bring up the fact Kell was willing to sell him out while the thugs are still listening.
Graham: "Alright, fine. Later."
Aleith|DM: He motions to the others and they depart.
Zane lets out a small breath. "Well, that went better than expected."
Chandrasekhar looks maybe a little bit disappointed. Zane's a bad influence. :(
Gerald: "I like it when people listen1"
Zane can't help it if you like watching him work.
Phyllis: "Took a bit of coaxing and searching, but I'm glad we got to you without having to bust any heads."
Aleith|DM: Once they leave, Wolfgang heads into the common area towards the crumbled pillar.
Zane: "Say, Doctor, where did you learn to fence? it's not often you meat a weapon-skilled academic."
Garrett: "(That and without having to pay that asshole.)"
Wolfgang: "And a fine job at that."
Gerald‘ thumbs up in Garrett’s direction.
Aleith|DM: The doctor takes another look at Zane, noticing his ring. "Alumni from Ber, I take it?"
Garrett‘ thumbs up back.
Wolfgang: "I picked up a fair bit of it while studying in Danor."
Wolfgang: "It was an interesting diversion."
Zane: "I am, yes. And it certainly can be."
Wolfgang: "If you have a bit of time later, I can show you a bit. Maybe have a bit of a spar?"
Zane: "That would be wonderful, if you don’t mind."
Aleith|DM: That said, he carefully climbs up the crumbled pillar, before reaching into the hollow in the ceiling above the pillar. He comes back down with his surgeon's bag-thankfully, it appears water-resistant.
Aleith|DM: Handing the bag to you, he says, "here's the documents."
Zane: "Thank you. So this shadowy assailant from the alleyway. Is he the reason you've been in hiding?"
Aleith|DM: He nods. "Kell told me an 'Officer Porter' visited my hotel after I left, and Lynn mentioned him in her letters as well. One and the same, don't you think?"
Garrett: "Also… have you spoken to a man named Roger Porter?"
Garrett: "Aha."
Wolfgang: "I have not, nor do I wish the pleasure."
Gerald: "That's what I was thinking, anyway."
Garrett: "Good nose."
Phyllis: "If I'm correct, I think you have. Or at least, you exchanged blows, if not words."
Wolfgang: "If they're not the same, they're at least working together."
Wolfgang: "The shadow man, though, fought with claws, before I zapped him, stabbed him, and made my escape. I don't think he was expecting a fight."
Phyllis: "Wherever we tailed Porter, there was the smell and residue of engine grease. Actually might be witch oil, now that we know more about it."
Phyllis: "Unless you left your room in that state, and not him."
Zane: "Pretty sure it's witchoil now that I've been up close to the stuff."
Wolfgang: "Yes, that does describe its smell…" He sniffs a bit, "…and why do I smell it now?"
Aleith|DM: The torch nearby goes out, plunging the room into darkness.
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 25:Zane | 25:ShadowOperative | 21:Knife Fighter A | 20:Phyllis | 19:Gerald | 16:Garrett | 14:Knife Fighter C | 10:Knife Fighter B | 10:Nethermancer B | 8:Dr. Wolfgang | 7:Chandra | 7:Ernst | 3:Nethermancer A |
Aleith|DM: Zane?
Chandrasekhar: "!"
[OOC] Zane: low light vision come in handy here or is it just plain black?
Aleith|DM: It's plain black
Aleith|DM: You sense some figures near the entrance.
Zane: "Shit. Bodies at the front. Phyllis, I need my eyes if you could be so kind."
Phyllis: "Will do."
Zane moves through the water and puts a hand on Singh and Wolfgang. [Move, Ready Action: Aid Defense if either of them get attacked]
Wolfgang: "Shit! That was cold!" he exclaims, as he drops the torch. [5 cold damage]
Zane: "Well I guess now we know why you smell it."
Gerald: "I wonder if they were following us or if the timing is coincidental."
Aleith|DM: Someone reaches for the Doctor from the other side of Zane… [+2 defences from Aid]
Aleith|DM rolled d20+8 and got 19 ( Total: 27 ) for vs Fort
Phyllis: "The former, I'd guess. We were followed on Cauldron Hill, too."
[OOC] Zane: you're not helpful Sugar >:E
Aleith|DM rolled 3d10+7 and got 6, 6, 6 ( Total: 25.0 )
Gerald: "Hmm."
Aleith|DM: Wolfgang slaps at his neck. "He poked me with something-" He seems to be getting a bit drowsy?
Aleith|DM: 25 poison damage to Wolfgang! He's dazed and taking ongoing 5 poison! Save ends both; Aftereffect: dazed UEoNT
Zane: "Shit."
Aleith|DM: Knife-fighter A wades through the shallows before taking a pistol and shooting at Chandrasekhar from near point-blank
Aleith|DM rolled d20+6 and got 16 ( Total: 22 )
Aleith|DM rolled d6+3 and got 4 ( Total: 7.0 )
Aleith|DM: Hitting for 7
Aleith|DM: Phyllis?
[OOC] Phyllis: I don't think Teak updated his pog, but his AC's 23
[OOC] Garrett: ^
Aleith|DM: Oh, well
Aleith|DM: combat advantage
Aleith|DM: because he's blind
Aleith|DM: +2
[OOC] Garrett: snap
[OOC] Phyllis: aha
Aleith|DM: Phyllis?
Phyllis starts by [Light]ing Chandra (minor), then places a [Mage Hand] (minor again) near the Operative and compels him with a [Charm of Misplaced Wrath] to move away and strike the knife fighter that approached.
Aleith|DM: The shadow operative is in that square but invisible, by the way
Aleith|DM: -5 to hit
[OOC] Phyllis: Oh, just said insubstantial
[OOC] Phyllis: gonna … change that I think
Aleith|DM: Correct, there isn't an invisible marker
[OOC] Phyllis: do I have line of effect on the crowd? can't tell how much cover that wall thing is
Aleith|DM: It's low cover, you have effect
Phyllis instead places the [MAge Hand] near the knife fighter that approached and compels him to move back and strike one of his friends. [Charm of Misplaced Wrath] With plans for an AP if the slide happens.
Phyllis rolled d20+10 and got 18 ( Total: 28.0 ) for CA from adjacent conjuration, vs Will
Aleith|DM: Hit!
Aleith|DM: The pistol's unloaded now, but he does have a knife for an MBA…
Phyllis: It makes a basic attack against knife fighter B with +2 damage, and is dazed UEoNT
Aleith|DM rolled d20+7 and got 20 ( Total: 27 ) for vs AC, Slashing Flurry
Aleith|DM: ….
Yamobot: Aleith|DM rolled 6*4 -> {24}
Aleith|DM: 26 damage to B!
Aleith|DM: yes, that attack is 6d4 damage
Aleith|DM: Bloodied!
Phyllis follows that up with [Sleep] now that they're all gathered up again.
Phyllis rolled 5#d20+8(1) and got 6 ( Total: 14.0 ) for knife fighters A, B, C, then Nethermancer A, B - it's AoE so I don't care about visibility, ha ha!
Also rolled 5#d20+8(2) and got 6 [Total: 14.0 (Low), Avg: 6.00]
Also rolled 5#d20+8(3) and got 14 [Total: 22.0 (High), Avg: 14.00]
Also rolled 5#d20+8(4) and got 17 [Total: 25.0 (High), Avg: 17.00]
Also rolled 5#d20+8(5) and got 3 [Total: 11.0 (Low), Avg: 3.00]
Total: 86.0, Avg: 9.20
Gerald: "Uh… okay then."
Aleith|DM: You don't care, no. Hit * 4, miss!
Gerald: "Who wants to see me do something scary as hell?"
Ernst: "Sure."
Zane: "Go for it, Rook."
Garrett: "Can't wait."
Aleith|DM: Gerald?
[OOC] Phyllis: Orb of Imposition] and [Orb of Ultimate Imposition item daily] on the Nethermancer that was hit to give it -4 to the first saving throw. [Amulet of Elegy] to give them all another -1. All slowed (save ends), with only Nethermancer B avoiding the unconscious effect on the first failed saving throw.
Aleith|DM: Oh dear.
Phyllis: "That should buy us some alone time."
Gerald‘ backs up a bit, marks the Shadow Operative as his [Quarry], then fires into where he heard the invisible guy a moment ago just behind their protectee with a [Twin Shot]. :D
Gerald` rolled 2#1d20+6(1) and got 13 ( Total: 19 )
Also rolled 2#1d20+6(2) and got 7 [Total: 13]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 32
Gerald` rolled 2#1d20+6(1) and got 4 ( Total: 10 )
Also rolled 2#1d20+6(2) and got 7 [Total: 13]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 23
Aleith|DM: 1 hit!
Gerald` rolled 2d8+3 and got 1, 3 ( Total: 7 )
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 3!
Aleith|DM: Garrett?
Gerald: "Dang, was hoping hitting it would knock the invisibility out."
Zane: "Not bad though, even if less terrifying than one would hope."
Gerald: "Well I mean I *did* just fired off two scatter shots past the guy we’re supposed to be protecting."
Wolfgang: "It was, in fact, somewhat terrifying."
Chandrasekhar: "I've seen him make crazier shots already, believe it or not."
Zane: "Maybe we're just jaded."
Garrett‘ shifts around and slices low around the area where Gerald sprayed. [Low Slash]
[Minor Action]
Garrett` rolled 1d20+8 and got 7 ( Total: 15 ) for vs Ref
Aleith|DM: Miss!
Garrett` clicks his tongue and tries again. [With just a Piercing Strike]
Garrett` rolled 1d20+8 and got 5 ( Total: 13 ) for vs Ref
Aleith|DM: Also a miss!
Garrett` got nothin’.
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 25:Zane | 25:ShadowOperative | 21:Knife Fighter A | 20:Phyllis | 19:Gerald | 16:Garrett | 14:Knife Fighter C | 10:Knife Fighter B | 10:Nethermancer B | 8:Dr. Wolfgang | 7:Chandra | 7:Ernst | 3:Nethermancer A |
Aleith|DM: The knife fighters move up and shoot at Chandrasekhar and Ernst!
Aleith|DM rolled 2#d20+6(1) and got 2 ( Total: 8.0 )
Also rolled 2#d20+6(2) and got 10 [Total: 16.0 (Low), Avg: 10.00]
Total: 24.0, Avg: 6.00
Aleith|DM rolled 2d20 and got 8, 10 ( Total: 18 ) for saves
Ernst stares at them with an irritated expression.
Aleith|DM: Knife-fighter B falls unconcious!
[OOC] Phyllis: -1 from amulet?
Aleith|DM: …And C!
Aleith|DM: Nethermancer B gestures towards Chandrasekhar. Black tendrils crackle within the mage's obsidian orb, and then your armour explodes with frigid energy. [Shatter the Light]
Aleith|DM: 5 cold damage to Chandrasekhar and Zane!
Aleith|DM: The Light spell goes out.
Zane: "Shit."
Aleith|DM rolled d20-1 and got 14 ( Total: 13 )
Chandrasekhar: "Next thing we do when we get back, Zane. Remind me to buy a big shiny glowing sword."
Zane: "Yeah."
Aleith|DM: Blue lightning limns the doctor’s hand, and suddenly his ailment passes.
Aleith|DM: Conditions cleared.
Aleith|DM: He grabs a sunrod and drops it at his feet.
Aleith|DM: He then stabs at the operative with his rapier.
Zane: "… Damn, that's handy. Stimulating your own nerve channels?" "
Aleith|DM rolled d20+2 and got 15 ( Total: 17 )
Aleith|DM: Missing.
Wolfgang: "More or less."
Aleith|DM: Chandrasekhar?
Aleith|DM: Ernst!
Chandrasekhar nods to Ernst.
Ernst moves into a better position before firing [+20 THP] at the doctor. He then fires a [Magic Weapon] and then a [Burning Weapon - AP] at the Shadow Operative.
Ernst rolled 2#d20+7(1) and got 5 ( Total: 12.0 )
Also rolled 2#d20+7(2) and got 1 [Total: 8.0 (Min), Avg: 1.00]
Total: 20.0, Avg: 3.00
[OOC] Ernst: Wow
Ernst rolled 2#d20+8(1) and got 9 ( Total: 17.0 )
Also rolled 2#d20+8(2) and got 13 [Total: 21.0 (High), Avg: 13.00]
Total: 38.0, Avg: 11.00
Aleith|DM: 1 hit!
Ernst rolled d8+10 and got 6 ( Total: 16.0 )
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 8!
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: anything else or
[OOC] Ernst: Not on my end. +4 DMG for Gerald, Phyllis, Chandra and Zane. I didn't hit with magic weapon
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: until forever?
Aleith|DM: Chandrasekhar!
[OOC] Ernst: No until my next turn
Chandrasekhar raises his sword into the air! He doesn't NEED illumination! …although I guess there's illumination again now or something who cares [Radiant Delirium]
Chandrasekhar rolled d20+5 and got 20 ( Total: 25 ) for v. Reflex
Aleith|DM: Crit!
[OOC] Zane: holy shit Teak GO GET 'EM!
3d8+4+4, I think, so… 32 radiant damage, dazed UEoCNT, -2 penalty to AC save ends
[OOC] Gerald: +d6 from magical weapon crit effect
Aleith|DM: Nope it's implement
[OOC] Gerald: don't paladin weapons count as implements? or is thta onyl a specific one / an avenger feature
Aleith|DM: Only specific ones
Aleith|DM: might be an avenger thing too
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: It's a specific one I don't have yet
Chandrasekhar moves in, then, closing - trusting his gut and pointing in a direction! [Divine Challenge]
Aleith|DM: 28 radiant damage, and 4 fire damage!
Aleith|DM: Light burns away the man’s matte black skin, revealing for a moment raw muscle and sinew and weeping rivulets of blood before his cloak of shadowy flesh reforms.
Aleith|DM: He loses insubstantial and invisibility until the end of Chandrasekhar's next turn!
Chandrasekhar: "Now's our chance!"
Garrett: "Morning to you, y' fated fuck."
Phyllis: "Chandra, remind me never to get on your bad side."
Gerald: "Huh, okay."
Aleith|DM: Nethermancer A sends an invisible lance to pierce Chandrasekhar's chest! [Ray of Enfeeblement]
Chandrasekhar: "The feeling's mutual, my friend."
Aleith|DM rolled d20+5 and got 3 ( Total: 8 ) for vs Ref
Aleith|DM: Missing!
Aleith|DM rolled d20-4 and got 15 ( Total: 11 )
Aleith|DM: He stays on his feet.
Chandrasekhar bats it away casually.
[OOC] Phyllis: -5 total but still 10 :(
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 25:Zane | 25:ShadowOperative | 21:Knife Fighter A | 20:Phyllis | 19:Gerald | 16:Garrett | 14:Knife Fighter C | 10:Knife Fighter B | 10:Nethermancer B | 8:Dr. Wolfgang | 7:Chandra | 7:Ernst | 3:Nethermancer A |
Aleith|DM: Zane!
Zane darts around the pillar with his blades in his hands, pinning the Operative between himself and Garrett. [Move, MBA]
Zane rolled d20+12 and got 7 ( Total: 19 )
Aleith|DM: Hit!
Zane rolled 4d10+11 and got 10, 7, 5, 6 ( Total: 39.0 ) for bastard sword, assassin strike, Furious Assault, Burning weapon, Attack Finesse
Also rolled 1d8 and got 7 [Total: 7 (High), Avg: 7.00]
Total: 46.0, Avg: 7.00
Zane kills that fucker where it stands. [Death Attack]
Chandrasekhar: "Ahh. Yes. That's why I burnt away the shadows."
Gerald: "Yup."
Zane withdraws his blade from the operative. "OK so we'll take someone else in for questioning…"
Garrett: "Probably one'a the sleeping ones."
[OOC] Aleith|DM: KO!
Aleith|DM: Knife-fighter A…reloads.
Aleith|DM rolled d20-1 and got 16 ( Total: 15 ) for save
Aleith|DM: Phyllis?
Phyllis moves south and winks her old [Mage Hand] in and out of existence (minor) next to the Nethermancers and the knife fighter, then hits the crowd with a [Color Spray]!
Phyllis rolled 5#d20+10(1) and got 16 ( Total: 26.0 ) for vs Fort, Knife fighters A, B, C, Nethermancers A, B, CA from either unconscious or mage hand adjacency
Also rolled 5#d20+10(2) and got 8 [Total: 18.0 (Low), Avg: 8.00]
Also rolled 5#d20+10(3) and got 17 [Total: 27.0 (High), Avg: 17.00]
Also rolled 5#d20+10(4) and got 5 [Total: 15.0 (Low), Avg: 5.00]
Also rolled 5#d20+10(5) and got 18 [Total: 28.0 (High), Avg: 18.00]
Total: 114.0, Avg: 12.80
Phyllis rolled d6+5 and got 6 ( Total: 11.0 ) for radiant damage, dazed UEoPNT
Aleith|DM: Hits!
Aleith|DM: Gerald?
Gerald‘ [Reload]s, fires a [Twin-Fang Strike] starting off with Fighter C
Gerald` rolled 2#d20+13(1) and got 6 ( Total: 19 )
Also rolled 2#d20+13(2) and got 16 [Total: 29]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 48
Gerald: …And the other at him too.
Gerald` rolled 2#d20+13(1) and got 9 ( Total: 22 )
Also rolled 2#d20+13(2) and got 19 [Total: 32]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 54
Gerald` rolled 4d8+17 and got 8, 1, 5, 8 ( Total: 39 )
Gerald` [Reload]s.
[OOC] Aleith|DM: KO!
Aleith|DM: Garrett?
Garrett` spins around the column and charges past Phyllis to shank Knife Fighter A! [Charge]
Garrett` rolled 1d20+16 and got 7 ( Total: 23 ) for vs AC
Aleith|DM: Hit!
Garrett` rolled 1d4+5 and got 4 ( Total: 9 )
Also rolled 2d6 and got 3, 6 [Total: 9]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 18
Aleith|DM: Bloodied!
Garrett` takes advantage of the opportunity! [Trigger: Bloodied a dude] [Free Action - Press The Advantage]
Garrett` rolled 1d20+15 and got 2 ( Total: 17 ) for vs AC
Garrett` rolled 2d4+7 and got 1, 1 ( Total: 9 )
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 9!
Aleith|DM rolled 2d20 and got 7, 7 ( Total: 14 )
Aleith|DM: oh right C is down for good
Aleith|DM: B continues napping in the water.
Aleith|DM: Thankfully, face up.
Phyllis: How convenient.
Aleith|DM: I know, right?
Aleith|DM: Nethermancer B sends an invisible lance at Garret! [Ray of Enfeeblement]
Aleith|DM rolled d20+5 and got 18 ( Total: 23 ) for vs ref
Aleith|DM rolled 3d4+6 and got 2, 3, 4 ( Total: 15.0 )
Aleith|DM: Dealing 15 Necrotic damage and Weakened (Save ends)!
Ernst fires a [Shocking Interrupt] from that.
Ernst rolled 2#d20+11(1) and got 2 ( Total: 13.0 )
Also rolled 2#d20+11(2) and got 5 [Total: 16.0 (Low), Avg: 5.00]
Total: 29.0, Avg: 3.50
Gerald: DISRUPTIVE SHOT THO
[OOC] Gerald: actually you got it first since I was in the office carry on
[OOC] Ernst: Eh heroic action to make both hit
Ernst rolled 3d8+10 and got 7, 2, 7 ( Total: 26.0 ) for Hachi gains resist 5
Aleith|DM: No benefit
Aleith|DM: you’re in medium range
Aleith|DM: also -2 to hit for both
[OOC] Ernst: Oh right
[OOC] Ernst: I HA the 16 then
Aleith|DM: 14 still hits though
Aleith|DM: wait no vs AC
Aleith|DM: right
Aleith|DM: yes you still need HA
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 19!] BLoodied!
[OOC] Gerald: daze +/- CA tbh but w/e
Aleith|DM: 19 damage regarldless
Aleith|DM: Garrett takes 5 less damage?
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 25:Zane | 21:Knife Fighter A | 20:Phyllis | 19:Gerald | 16:Garrett | 10:Knife Fighter B | 10:Nethermancer B | 8:Dr. Wolfgang | 7:Chandra | 7:Ernst | 3:Nethermancer A |
Aleith|DM: Wolfgang moves up in front of Knife-fighter B and taps him on the chest. [Stop Your Heart]
Aleith|DM rolled d20+7 and got 19 ( Total: 26 ) for vs Fort
Aleith|DM rolled d6+5 and got 3 ( Total: 8.0 )
[OOC] Phyllis: Coup de grace?
Aleith|DM: Nah, it's a minor action
[OOC] Phyllis: works either way
Aleith|DM: Dealing 8 lightning damage and knocking him out as the body spasms! Also Dazed UEoNT, but doesn't matter now.
Aleith|DM: He then charges Nethermancer A!
Aleith|DM rolled d20+10 and got 15 ( Total: 25 )
Aleith|DM rolled d8 and got 8 ( Total: 8 )
Aleith|DM: 8 damage and ongoing 5 damage (SE)! Bloodied!
Aleith|DM: Chandra?
Aleith|DM: The sword is just a keenly sharpened piece of metal, nothing fancy, I swear.
Zane whistles appreciatively. "How much of that was in your thesis?"
Wolfgang: "The electricity? A bit in Risur. The swordplay was just some Surgical Precision carefully applied."
Zane laughs. "OK, now I am *really* excited for our lesson."
Chandrasekhar charges the last remaining Nethermancer. [Virtuous Charge]
Chandrasekhar rolled d20+9 and got 2 ( Total: 11 ) for v. AC
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: he's dazed if that matters
Aleith|DM: You'd need another +3
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: buh :<
Aleith|DM: Sadly you are not joining the 'hit on a 2 club' today :(
Aleith|DM: Ernst?
[OOC] Phyllis: Mark him probably?
Ernst moves forward, reloads and then finishes off Nethermancer B. [Magic Weapon]
Ernst rolled 2#d20+11(1) and got 19 ( Total: 30.0 )
Also rolled 2#d20+11(2) and got 19 [Total: 30.0 (High), Avg: 19.00]
Total: 60.0, Avg: 19.00
Aleith|DM: Hits!
Ernst rolled 2d8+6 and got 7, 3 ( Total: 16.0 )
[OOC] Aleith|DM: KO!
[OOC] Ernst: +3 dmg and +1 to hit to Hachi not that it matters
Aleith|DM: 5 ongoing damage to Nethermancer A. The obsidian orb circling him (yes, apparently he's not holding it) smashes into Chandrasekhar! [Orb Conk]
Aleith|DM rolled d20+7 and got 19 ( Total: 26 )
Gerald: DISTRUPTIVE SHOT
Aleith|DM: …miss?
[OOC] Gerald: after the disruptivre not before right
Aleith|DM: right
Aleith|DM: that's why it's …
Gerald‘ rolled 2#d20+11(1) and got 4 ( Total: 15 )
Also rolled 2#d20+11(2) and got 13 [Total: 24]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 39
Aleith|DM: and a question mark
Aleith|DM: 1 hit!
Gerald` rolled d8+7 and got 1 ( Total: 8 ) for -6 to hit so miss now yeah
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 8!
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 25:Zane | 21:Knife Fighter A | 20:Phyllis | 19:Gerald | 16:Garrett | 8:Dr. Wolfgang | 7:Chandra | 7:Ernst | 3:Nethermancer A |
Aleith|DM: Zane?
Chandrasekhar: "How are they even still fighting, and why?"
Gerald: "I mean, they’re not really."
Aleith|DM: Well, they're barely hanging on at this point.
Aleith|DM: The remaining two go down quickly.
Gerald‘ is pretty sure Zane will pu the Special Cuffs on the shadow guy, assuming he’s not dead. Will put normal cuffs on the other guys!!
Gerald: "That was exciting."
Aleith|DM: Wolfgang, still holding the sunrod, glances outside. "I don't recall a makeshift-metal door on the entrance."
Ernst: "That trick shot you did that barely grazed the guy was definitely dangerous."
Zane definitely cuffs the Operative. "Doctor, is this the gentleman from the alley?"
Gerald: "Huh, me either."
Aleith|DM: Sure enough, there's a dozen metal bars criss-crossed over the entrance tunnel.
Wolfgang: "He certainly does."
[OOC] Aleith|DM: *He certainly looks like him
Zane: "Good enough. Phyllis, I need this one."
Aleith|DM: Oddly enough, everyone seems to have stabilized…?
Garrett: "Oh no… it's the cops that are in jail!"
Zane: "Good job."
Chandrasekhar: "…something's up."
Phyllis just looks at Zane, oblivious to his request. "Okay, but what say do I have in it?"
Zane: "Nevermind, I think he'll make it."
Gerald‘ goes to carefully take a closer look.
Garrett` goes to see if he can’t move some bars.
Aleith|DM: Glancing between the bars, out on the plateau, there's a carriage, several men like the ones you just subdued, and…a man sitting on a metal folding chair, with a platter holdering various slices of cheese, a glass of red wine in his hand. As he takes a sip of the wine, the metal tray is just…floating in the air beside him?
Ernst: "Shame we don't have any more scrolls to just create an opening in the cave wall. Let's hope we can remove them easily."
Phyllis: "About that."
Phyllis ruffles in her pack for a scroll of [Detect Secret Doors]. "Well, it's not quite the same, but if there's an alternate way out…"

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License