Zg Session 121

Aleithilithos: Spring 14
Aleithilithos: It's been a bit over a week since you arrived back in Flint.
Aleithilithos: It's nearing noon at the Governor's mansion, and anyone who looks skyward can see the Gyre is growing closer.
Aleithilithos: Harkover Lee assembles burning reagents for a ritual. Stover Delft scowls and chews tobacco while shuffling through reports from his agents. Gale paces—or rather floats back and forth—and keeps glancing around as if she expects someone to attack. Brakken of Heffanita quietly reads the surface thoughts of aides who come and go just in case any of them might be mind controlled.
Gerald: "Would it help if I just shot you to get it out of your system?
Zane snorts.
Phyllis: "Gerald." She's pretty sure he's just joking, but figures some token chastisement would serve some good.
Gerald‘ shrugs.
Aleithilithos: Gale staggers a bit in the air before turning to glare at him. "I’m just glad it didn't happen before."
Gerald: "You can thank the government for that."
Zane: "Its a little early in the day, and late in our association, to start shooting her, Gerald."
Garrett‘ files through various district reports, mayoral documents, and a few small print-run Flint ’zines- gotta keep the pulse on the minds of the people.
Aleithilithos: Repairs on the damages from the brief defensive action Flint had to hold the last week of your trip around the continent are well underway.
Aleithilithos: Grimlsey has been taking an active role as mayor in reorganizing the city and putting more power in the hands of the people. His governing style rubs major business owners the wrong way, but it does keep the citizens content.
Zane is pretty OK with that.
Gerald‘ recommended him specifically because of that.
Garrett` looks to see if any more Hiveminds have popped up.
Aleithilithos: They crop up rarely, as people and police are actively watching out for them, but lately they’ve been stopped before anything more than minor damage might happen.
Harkover: "Alright. With the help of Constable Lenz, various scientists, astronomers, spellcasters, and skyseers, we've managed to figure out as best we can what was involved in the Obscurati's Axis Seal Ritual."
Garrett: "Hit us with the bad news first, if you can."
Phyllis looks like death warmed over, bags under her eyes, hair frizzled and disheveled.
Harkover: "You got a view of the ritual point, but not a good one, so most of that information comes from the ritual tome."
Zane passes Ursinho a cup of strong coffee with cinnamon and cardamon.
Phyllis takes it, half-conscious of it even happening.
Harkover: "There's eight different spots in the ritual zone corresponding the location of the moon and each other planet, with the centre of the ritual where Vona would be. Each spot corresponds to a different type of energy: Air, Earth, Fire, Water, Life, Death, Space, and Time."
Harkover: "The Obscurati kept Jiese, and moved Av from the moon to the outermost planet, where Nem was, for Death. All of the other planets where changed for new ones."
Zane: "Not a fan."
Harkover: "We only have an icon for Apet, from Professor Meredith's expedition in the High Bayou."
Harkover: "You once had icons for Nem, Avilona, and Urim, but handed those back to Minister of Outsiders Jierre after helping Danor recover Axis Island from our own rebels a couple of years ago."
Gerald: "I am perfectly willing to destroy Danor for the sake of the world."
Harkover: "Whether you want to restore the planes to their previous alignment, or create new ones and devise your own planetary setup, the only place with planets we can get to is the Gyre."
Garrett: "I'm gettin' kind of used to being able to teleport all day every day."
Harkover: "Crafting the icons can take days, if not weeks, depending on your connection to the plane. It took the Obscurati years for icons they observed from afar through telescopes. Presumeably you could do it faster if you were physically on the plane. It doesn't need to be a golden icon, just something you can use to symolize the world."
Phyllis: "That's a one-way trip, from what I understand."
Harkover: "We're not sure. I've tried testing a planar travel spell to reach the Gyre, but so far I have been unsuccessful. Divinations have suggested that a path will be revealed to us soon, however."
Zane: "We have that pillar thing we took from Sijhen, right?"
Zane: "I could have sworn somebody said something about that being useful for this sort of thing."
Harkover: "The vortex array? It should be useful for scanning the planes at least to find out which energies they're tied to. Most should be tied to two, from what the ritual tome said. Av, for example, is tied to Life and Death."
Harkover: "Even once the new icons have been obtained, though, you'll have to take on the Obscurati at Axis Seal and deal with the reconfiguring it."
Garrett‘ leans forward in his seat (he was sitting down), elbows on a table (sitting down at a table), fingers folded over each other, resting his chin upon them.
Harkover: "At the centre was the large torrent of energy pouring out from the Axis Seal. Both the Ancients and the Obscurati used specific chants to keep the energy from going out of control, and the Obscurati also used it to protect their Colossus from the energies until the Voice of Rot’s cultists blew up the bunker holding most of them, sabotaging the ritual."
Zane taps his lips. "Are we any closer to figuring out how to kill Nicodemus yet?"
Harkover: "The reason we don't have a sun, and why the Gyre is hanging above us instead, is likely because they couldn't close the seal after the sabotage. Lying over the wreckage of Borne was the golden seal. From your eyewitness reports, the seal is likely a 100-foot diametre disc of solid gold."
Garrett: "Have our agents found any more traces of the Voice of Rot's cultists?"
Chandrasekhar listens, taps his fingers together. What world would contain the most potential for the future…?
Harkover: "So you'd need a way to move the 'cap' for the seal and a way to protect yourselves from energies at the ritual site."
Chandrasekhar: "Hm. Ernst, remote operation seems like your wheelhouse."
Harkover shakes his head. "Nicodemus is certainly an enigma. Even with the knowledge that he's William Miller of the past, it seems that when Srasama died, he was passing through a portal when he did, and the range of his 'haunting' is not limited to where he died, but the entire continent, at the least."
Harkover: "You killed him at the Tower of Methia, and he mentioned to you before that he died when the sabotage at the ritual happened, but he seems to re-corporate when that happens."
Gerald: "He's certinaly not just a ghost, we've absolutely seen those die for real before."
Phyllis: "Have someone take the sacrament, then kill them."
Phyllis: "Summoning him, that is."
Gerald‘ glances over at Phyllis, purses his lips together.
Harkover: "That might work, though it’s very…Clergy…of you, Ms. Lenz."
Gerald: "There *is* still a Jierre out there that needs a killing…"
Harkover: "You realize that would likely kill a great number of the Obscurati, and even those following him, at the same time?"
Phyllis: "He wanted a way. That's the best I've thought of so far."
Garrett: "That sounds like a lot of birds with one stone."
Phyllis: "… I hadn't seriously considered it."
Gerald: "Sounds like a benefit and not a demerit to me."
Garrett: "But…"
Phyllis doesn't look as enthused as her comrades seem to; that strikes her as a legitimate drawback.
Harkover: "It may be our best shot at the moment, I will admit."
Garrett: "I can't begrudge too badly those who aren't in power who are buying this."
Ernst: "If that's the approach you wanted to take, you'd be killing a lot of people, certainly."
Harkover: "But with the most consequences as well."
Garrett: "If there were any way to discredit and dismantle the Obscurati down to only Nico, and then do it- that would be better."
Zane: "I'll keep it on the table. Ursinho looks unenthused at the thought of mass murder."
Garrett: "Because honestly that sounds more feasable than figuring out another way around his 'immortality' at the moment."
Chandrasekhar: "…the Obscurati have written themselves out of any future, anyway." He sounds… resigned, displease.
Zane: "Worst case senario I take the sacrament myself. A small price to pay, in the grand scheme of things."
Gerald: "Eh. Anyone that still has that level of blind faith in Nico at this point is likely going to be a problem and need to be dealt with anyway."
Phyllis: "i was being facetious. If you want my real opinion, I question if we need to work against the Obscurati wholesale. The voice of Rot is truly to blame for the ills we suffer now, correct?"
Ernst: "Rot sabotaged the ritual, yeah."
Phyllis: "Like the Clergy, there's a kernel of something genuine and good within the Obscurati that was twisted and tainted over the years."
Phyllis: "Chandra leads me to believe the Humble Hook was in Nicodemus' possession at some point before theirs, yes?"
Delft: "'The path to hell is paved with good intentions'."
Phyllis: "And yet we've repaved our way out in the last few weeks."
Garrett: "That's sort of ignoring that we also wouldn't be in this situation if it weren't for the Obscurati starting the ritual."
Zane: "I am willing to literally cut off the head of the snake before doing the same metaphorically."
Zane: "And see where that leaves us."
Gale: "And Granny Allswell wanted a tongue, did she not?"
Zane: "Mmhmm."
Harkover: "There hasn't been hide nor tail of the Voice of Rot seen since the stars fell, despite not having a Dreaming to hide in now." He looks upward. "There's a chance he's up there, as well."
Phyllis: "The Gyre, you mean?"
Harkover: "Yes."
Phyllis: "That seemed obvious, though I don't know if you were privy to prophecies and writings we've witnessed from the eschatological death cult."
Harkover: "Only what you've reported. It's a good possibility, at least."
Chandrasekhar: "Miller was a good man and a brilliant theologian. At some point… he became someone else."
Phyllis: "Ah, yes, speaking of organizations gone wayward from their original intent, that's another one. Them, the Clergy, the Obscurati, one could argue the second Kasvarina from the Dirge of Vekesh…"
Delft: "An unfortunately common occurrence."
Gerald: "It's almost like having too long a life span makes it *really difficult* to live in a constantly evolving society."
Phyllis: "I often wonder if all Devas are fated to become rakshasa."
Gale: "Speaking of the Gyre, though, it's not just your eyes playing tricks on you, but the Gyre is definitely drawing closer, day-by-day. A group of young skyseers collaborated with astronomers from Slate, and they tuned telescopes to examine the Gyre's structure. They saw small fragments of worlds floating near the teeth of the grinding nebula."
Zane: "'Was' covers a multitude of sins, Singh. Quite literally in this case. If I can find a way to destroy him without throwing myself on the pyre…" A dry chuckle "So much the better for me. But he will die. He MUST die."
Chandrasekhar: "Thus does the Dirge exhort us to make way for new voices to sing. Sadly, there are those who ignore that verse."
Gale: "Already it is close to consuming Av, the plane of dreams. Av is no more than a few days from destruction, and they fear even Lanjyr has no more than a year, possibly only months before the same thing happens to it."
Chandrasekhar just… turns towards Zane. "The world's not done with you yet, Mr. Bieito."
Phyllis: "To teach them how to say goodbye?"
Garrett: "A few -days-?" He runs his hands through his hair.
Zane smiles slightly. "At least I know you'll write me a pretty song in the end."
Ernst: "I'm not worried about Lanjyr at least, we should have everything resolved by then. Av, though…"
Garrett: "Alright… we can replace it afterwards, right?"
Zane: "All things considered I would rather we get this done before it destroys the plane linked to Singhs metaphysical essence."
Zane: "Just putting that out there."
Zane: "I kinda like Chandrasekhar, and would hate to have to train a new partner."
Harkover: "Theoretically, if you put Av back in the ritual-and it might need a new icon at that point-it should restore it again once the seal is closed; at the same time, that should also put the planet back where it was, safely away from the Gyre."
Gerald: "Not like we have anything else to do before then."
Chandrasekhar laughs a tiny, gentle little laugh.
Delft: "So, long story short, someone needs to enter the Gyre, visit the remnants of the worlds there, bond with them, then return and use those worlds to link this world to a new system of planes. Then they'll need to close the seal, which likely is now guarded by Obscurati forces."
Zane: "Sure. And then this weekend we'll have a cookout."
Zane sounds completely serious.
Garrett: "Bonding over smoked meats and outside merriment is a great way to keep morale up, good suggestion."
Garrett: "So!"
Garrett: "Getting to the Gyre!"
Chandrasekhar shudders.
Chandrasekhar: "Suddenly, every ounce of the gagen taboo makes sense."
Phyllis: "The what now?"
Phyllis looks off into space for a few moments, then looks absolutely dumbfounded. " - no, don't answer that. Uh."
Chandrasekhar: "My people have an entire word for 'unpleasant, horrifying spinny thing.'"
Phyllis: "So you'll never guess who just sent me a Sending."
Chandrasekhar: "…oh?"
Gerald: "Nico?"
Zane: "Surprise me."
Garrett: "Please say Nico."
Zane: "I am hoping for Kasvarina. I dont know how to safely kill Nicodemus yet."
Phyllis: "Though I suppose he figured out how to use Linked Portal after finding those scrolls as well."
Phyllis: "No, no, nothing so dramatic as that. Rock Rackus. He's offering help - says we need it, really - and to 'expect a little guy'?"
Zane: "That was my backup choice."
Chandrasekhar just… starts laughing.
Garrett‘ leans back in his chair and begins laughing.
Ernst: "That guy never ceases to amaze me."
Garrett: "Oh man."
Garrett: "Remember that one vision we had?"
Garrett: "Oh fuck."
Garrett: "Is it time for that?"
Gerald: "I sure do."
Gerald: "Invite him on over."
Zane: "If there was ever a time for meteors to be falling from the sky…"
Phyllis: "The debris of Av, falling to our plane."
Aleith|DM: Soon afterwards, a halfling is shown in to the room-he’s vaguely familiar. Fippery Leafbrowner briefly met you shortly after the Great Eclipse, revealing how eladrin and the dead were affected by it. He's a spirit medium who has a shop in Flint where he communes with the recently departed for a modest fee-Garrett knows the place.
Aleith|DM: This time, however, Fippery is dressed in a long fur coat with a rose on the lapel. He has eschewed any gold decorations this time.
Fippery: "Greetings again, constables!"
Fippery: "Despite being thrown a cosmic curveball, Av has mostly been doing well. But for now, I'm in the Bleak Gate, and the Bleak Gate…is actually on the inside of the Dreaming!"
Garrett: "Ahahaha, what?"
Phyllis: "This is news?"
Fippery: "And there's an army of people dressed in gold chains, led by devils, who are enslaving all of the fey they can get their hands on."
Zane: "That escalated quickly."
Fippery: "So, I had this falling out with Thisraldion a while back, and since then I've been dating this ghost from the Bleak Gate. She's such a cool chick-she wrote what is literally the best damn song of all time."
Fippery: "So, anyway, when the devils attacked Thistle Palace, she helped me escape through a crack in the earth into the land of the dead."
Fippery: "It turns out, this whole time the moon-well, what used to be the moon-was hollow! Fey lived on the surface, and dead people unlived on the inside."
Ernst: "Quite the field trip."
Zane blinks.
Gerald: "I see."
Fippery: "Except every once in a while dead people disappeared and went to the afterlife, or at least that's how it used to work. But now all the dead people are piling up because they can't go anywhere. So the inside of the place that used to be the moon is getting crowded and spooky."
Phyllis: "Okay, -that- much I hadn't surmised already."
Fippery: "But that's not the point. THe point is the Dreaming, where all the faeries are, is in trouble, and I need you to be my back-up when I go to save them."
Phyllis: "We're the backup."
Phyllis: "Okay, sure."
Garrett: "We're all protagonists in our own story…"
Fippery: "My girlfriend says that if you go on top of Cauldron Hill when the weird gears in the sky are overhead, you'll get pulled to the Bleak Gate. Then you can go through a big hole in the ground-it seems the moon is cracked and not doing so well-and end up in the Dreaming, then get to Clover."
Aleith|DM: It's noon-that's basically now.
Garrett: "Jeez, cut it a little closer, why don'cha?"
Garrett: "How's Rock factor into this, anyway?"
Zane: "Oh how soon we forget."
Gerald: "…Guess it's a good thing we can see the Hill from here."
Fippery: "It took a while for this little fella to agreeing to my request to come see you."
Ernst starts to gather his things. "I suppose we should get going, then?"
Garrett: "Oh… right."
Zane looks out the window to the Hill and vanishes. God bless teleporting.
Phyllis: "Wait. So you're Rock, just inside someone else right now?"
Gerald: "I thought that was obvious."
Delft sighs. "Can some of you take the Coaltongue, please? You're probably going to need to fly up."
Gerald: "See you in a bit, Rock." Gerald then follows after Zane.
Fippery: "Yeah. Of course I am."
Phyllis: "And I thought the Dreaming and the Bleak Gate being the same place was obvious, but."
Garrett: "Already on it- we'll likely need spots for evacuees, anyhow." He leans over and stage whispers: "(Like the vision!)"
Chandrasekhar: "If you can see in a mirror, you can also be seen." Their eyes glow gold enigmatically, they laugh.
Fippery: "Wait, the Coaltongue? How're you getting the ship up there?"
Garrett: "Through the air, mostly."
Phyllis: "There's been some advancements in technology."
Fippery: "Oh, it flies now? That's cool. They're popular these days."
Fippery: "The devils came in ships covered in gold chains that flew through the sky and carried off slaves. I think if I have a ship of my own I can start flying faeries back to the real world. Thanks for the idea, man."
Garrett: "Clearly we have to steal a few."
Fippery grimaces, and Rock says, "sorry, this dude wants me out. I'm gonna teleport him back home. Hope to meet you at the Bleak Gate version of Cauldron Hill soon!"
Garrett: "See you there." He stands from his seat. "Everyone move out!… of us who haven't moved out yet, of course."
Phyllis stands up. "To the Coaltongue, then."
Garrett‘ turns to the assembled bureaucrats and such: "I leave the nation in your hands once more."
Garrett` heads for the balcony, locks eyes at the Coaltongue, and jaunts.
Delft: "We’ll keep things running while you're gone on your trip." He offers a salute, and Minister Lee sketches a bow.
Aleith|DM: There was enough time for you to get the ship ready to depart (though it was ready to go at a moment's notice as a precaution), and once you get to the hill you pick up the rest of your party.
Aleith|DM: A few minutes before noon, as the Gyre moves directly overhead, you begin flying upward into a funnel of swirling thunderheads, within which lightning spirals and tries to reach out and grasp at you like a living thing.
Aleith|DM: Within moments winds stronger than a hurricane threaten to keel over the ship, anything loose is stripped away and carried off, and any debris that is torn free dramatically explodes when it touches the inner edge of the storm funnel.
Phyllis goes over the plan in her head. Not the one directly relating to their companion's plight, but about Av potentially getting ground up into gears in a matter of days and restoring it.
Aleith|DM: Miles away overhead, the funnel seems to terminate in darkness, but minute by minute that black void grows closer.
Gerald: "…Neat."
Garrett‘ crosses his arms. "Spirits of the dead rise with us. Given Cauldron Hill’s history, nobody should be surprised."
Aleith|DM: Alright, who's lookout? Gerald? Make a Perception check to identify and alert the crew of the air turbulence.
Aleith|DM: It shifts rapidly, and has few visual clues other than the drift of dust and debris in a storm that's constantly flashing with disorienting lightning.
Chandrasekhar: "ugh…"
Gerald‘ rolled d20+29 and got 15 ( Total: 44 )
Phyllis: "Oh. Right, now you can maybe explain the taboo."
Gerald` finds a good spot to holeup and strap himself in, then starts thinking orders at the crew through Garrett.
Aleith|DM: Chandrasekhar! Make a command check! d20 + ½ level + Charisma (Or Wis/Int) Modifier!
[OOC] Aleith|DM: IE 14+9= +23
Phyllis: " - or maybe now’s not a good time."
Chandrasekhar: "Nothing about this is okay… Hold fast."
Chandrasekhar rolled d20+23 and got 15 ( Total: 38 ) for He tries to take his own advice.
Zane manacles himself to a rail and digs his heels in, his head constantly on swivel in the storm. [Perception]
Aleith|DM: Under your direction, the crew manages to keep the ship stable, and for the next five minutes, no one falls off of the ship.
Zane rolled 2#1d20+25(1) and got 3 ( Total: 28.0 )
Also rolled 2#1d20+25(2) and got 2 [Total: 27.0 (Low), Avg: 2.00]
Total: 55.0, Avg: 2.50
Aleith|DM: New naval round! Stage 2!
Aleith|DM: Another perception check!
Zane rolled 2#1d20+25(1) and got 14 ( Total: 39.0 )
Also rolled 2#1d20+25(2) and got 12 [Total: 37.0 (High), Avg: 12.00]
Total: 76.0, Avg: 13.00
Gerald‘ rolled d20+29 and got 10 ( Total: 39 )
Aleith|DM: Chandrasekhar! Make another command check to keep the ship stable!
[OOC] Aleith|DM: with a +2 bonus this time
Chandrasekhar: "Hold fast, friends! It’s not much longer now!"
Chandrasekhar rolled d20+25 and got 20 ( Total: 45 ) for He still tries to take his own advice.
Aleith|DM: Make another check to guide the ship through thrashing tendrils of lightning and past massive boulders that have been caught up in the vortex!
Chandrasekhar rolled d20+23 and got 8 ( Total: 31 ) for THIS KEEPS GETTING SCARIER
Aleith|DM: Phyllis, as Navigator, make your own Command Check to help out!
Phyllis rolled d20+22 and got 1 ( Total: 23.0 )
Phyllis: Does Keeper's Prescience apply here?
[OOC] Aleith|DM: What's that again?
[OOC] Phyllis: Keeper's Prescience: At the start of each of your turns, roll a d20. You can use the result of that roll in place of any one d20 roll you make before the start of your next turn.
[OOC] Aleith|DM: oh, right, the pre-roll sure
Phyllis rolled d20 and got 8 ( Total: 8 ) for sure this is what I prerolled
Aleith|DM rolled d10 and got 3 ( Total: 3 )
[OOC] Phyllis: also, since it's an INT-based check, I get +4 from Ioun Stone of Intellect too, I think
Aleith|DM: Oh hmmm I think that would in-fact apply.
Aleith|DM: You manage to narrowly avoid a boulder that would have struck the engines!
Aleith|DM: You're getting closer now!
Aleith|DM: New naval round! Stage 3!
Phyllis rolled d20 and got 11 ( Total: 11 )
Garrett: "Almost-!"
Aleith|DM: The winds grow powerful beyond any storm on earth as the ship gets closer to the dark end of the vortex, near the Bleak Gate. Then, amid the strobing flashes of lightning, thousands of ghosts become visible, hanging in the air. Until this moment they had been aimless, but as they become aware of the Coaltongue, they begin to groan in unison, "Ship. Escape. Kill."
Aleith|DM: Lookouts! Perception checks!
Zane rolled 2#1d20+25(1) and got 8 ( Total: 33.0 )
Also rolled 2#1d20+25(2) and got 7 [Total: 32.0 (Low), Avg: 7.00]
Total: 65.0, Avg: 7.50
Gerald‘ rolled d20+29 and got 18 ( Total: 47 )
Garrett: "Hmmph! Begone, spirits!"
Aleith|DM: Chandrasekhar! Another two command checks! One to keep the crew steady, and another to dodge immense threads of electricity and tumbling, flaming trunks of trees that were stripped from the peak of Cauldron Hill!
Chandrasekhar: "A few more moments, and we’ll be past the worst of it!"
Chandrasekhar rolled d20+23 and got 6 ( Total: 29 ) for lord i hope i'm not lying
Chandrasekhar: "…look out!"
Chandrasekhar rolled d20+23 and got 9 ( Total: 32 ) for EVERYTHING IS SCARY
Aleith|DM: You barely manage to keep the crew stable, but…
Aleith|DM: Phyllis! Navigation check!
Phyllis rolled d20+26 and got 3 ( Total: 29.0 ) for either that 11 earlier or this
Aleith|DM: Gonna need the 11 for that, yes
Aleith|DM: You manage to avoid the lightning and debris, but the ghosts still swarm in to attack!
Gerald‘ sighs.
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 47:Ernst | 40:Garrett | 36:Gerald | 36:Zane | 32:Vortex Ghosts EF | 32:Vortex Ghosts GH | 31:Phyllis | 30:Chandrasekhar | 30:Vortex Ghosts IJ | 29:Vortex Ghosts ST | 28:Vortex Ghosts KL | 25:Vortex Ghosts QR | 23:Vortex Ghosts CD | 23:Vortex Ghosts OP | 21:Vortex Ghosts MN | 14:Vortex Ghosts AB |
Gerald: "You’re already dead what is even the point of this…"
Aleith|DM: Ernst!
Garrett: "They're mad about it still!"
Gerald: "This is exceptionally dumb."
Gerald‘ gives a [Word Of Warning] so Chandra can explode them all before they act.
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 52:Ernst | 45:Garrett | 41:Gerald | 41:Zane | 36:Phyllis | 35:Chandrasekhar | 32:Vortex Ghosts EF | 32:Vortex Ghosts GH | 30:Vortex Ghosts IJ | 29:Vortex Ghosts ST | 28:Vortex Ghosts KL | 25:Vortex Ghosts QR | 23:Vortex Ghosts CD | 23:Vortex Ghosts OP | 21:Vortex Ghosts MN | 14:Vortex Ghosts AB |
Ernst drops down Stocke and fires a GMW into Horde F buffing everyone, but most importantly Chandra.
Ernst rolled 2#d20+39(1) and got 2 ( Total: 41.0 )
Also rolled 2#d20+39(2) and got 14 [Total: 53.0 (High), Avg: 14.00]
Total: 94.0, Avg: 8.00
Aleith|DM: Hits! [KO!]
Ernst: Chandra, Gerald, Garett, Stocke, Phyllis get +10 to hit, +6 dmg, brutal 1.
Aleith|DM: Garrett! Gerald!
Garrett` doesn’t even break his cross-armed stance. [Delay to 34]
Aleith|DM: Gerald! Zane!
Gerald‘ does the same.
Zane takes a Full Defense. (+4 all defenses, +3 combat dice)
Aleith|DM: Phyllis!
Phyllis: When facing a horde like this, there’s an obvious solution. Show them the light of day. She nods to Chandra. "[Make It So.]"
Aleith|DM: Chandrasekhar!
Chandrasekhar smiles. Closes his eyes. And opens them again, and they're gold, and Srasama's arms sprout from their back, extend towards the ghouls. "Won't you follow me? Along kinder, brighter, stranger paths?" [Vision of the Fall]
Chandrasekhar rolled d20+29 and got 5 ( Total: 34 ) for vs. Will although do I even need this?
[OOC] Aleith|DM: Spent one Healing Surge on Chandrasekhar so he could use Radiant powers this combat.
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: also I think I have a buff on that but fucked if I know what it is
Aleith|DM: You hit. The wailing from the ghosts increases briefly before cutting out as they all wink out of existence.
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: I'm VERY good at D&d.
Aleith|DM: It's another tense five minutes as you continue sailing through the storm.
Aleith|DM: You reach the black void, and then the roar of the storm cuts out in an instant. Up is down, and the ship is plummeting toward a midnight black reflection of Cauldron Hill and the city of Flint.
Zane stays at the rail, his knuckles bloodless as he grips the rail.
Aleith|DM: From a height of thousands of feet, your airship tumbles, and you have only a brief window of time to try and right it.
Aleith|DM: Thankfully you have your full crew complement, so even if half of them are struggling to stay balanced, you still have enough manpower to run the engines and the rest of the ship well…
Aleith|DM: Ernst! Make an Intelligence check to adjust the ship's flight profile for upside-down flight!
Ernst rolled d20+22 and got 15 ( Total: 37.0 )
Aleith|DM: You manage to do it both quickly and well! It only takes one round instead of two to fix that!
Aleith|DM: The ground is getting closer! Chandrasekhar, make a command check to direct the crew into a complex maneuver to actually flip the ship upright!
Chandrasekhar: "Follow Ernst's lead! On the double!"
Chandrasekhar rolled d20+23 and got 19 ( Total: 42 ) for shit has not gotten any less scary and now it is also upside down
Phyllis rolled d20 and got 20 ( Total: 20 ) for preroll if i'll need it
Aleith|DM: The crew manages to get the ship to flip back upright without an damage to the flying mechanisms! The Coaltongue sweeps just past the pinnacle of Cauldron Hill but is able to pull up and level off as it flies a wide arc over the ghost-filled analogue of Flint.
Aleith|DM: The only light is atop Cauldron Hill, a bonfire.
Gerald: "Towards the fire, I suppose."
Chandrasekhar: "Brightly woven, my friends. Don't ever give in to the fear of the unknown!"
Garrett: "Outstanding, everyone!"
Aleith|DM: Soon afterwards, an old schooner takes off from near the top of Cauldron Hill, heading out to meet you.
Aleith|DM: …the writing on the side, though somewhat damaged, reads as Il Draçon de Mer. Despite any sort of flight mechanisms like your own, it seems to be flying on its own-regardless of the massive hole near the back from an explosion.
Zane starts laughing.
Gerald: "What?"
Garrett: "You gotta be kiddin' me."
Zane: "Hey its a literal ghost ship!"
Zane wipes the corners of his eyes.
Zane: "Also wow, we do good work."
Aleith|DM: At the bow of the ship stands Rock Rackus. He waves to you as his ship approaches.
Garrett: "Remember a while back, Zane and I swam underneath a ship, planted explosives, and reboarded?"
Zane gestures at the Dracon. "It was that ship."
Garrett‘ waves a hand towards the ship, and then at Rock.
Gerald: "Vaguely."
Phyllis: "I absolutely remember."
Rackus: "Constables! Glad you could make it! That was fast!"
Zane: "Where in the world did you find that thing?"
Zane: "Considering we left it at the bottom of the ocean."
Rackus: "Some friends of mine found it here. I convinced the sailors to give me a ride, and, well, ghost ships can fly, right?"
Aleith|DM: You’re pretty sure they can't, normally.
Zane: "Looks that way."
Gerald: "…Seems like?"
Garrett: "It's 'Your Highness,' now! How'd the world seem on the other side of the glass?"
Zane doesnt argue with results.
Rackus: "Oh! Well then, long live the King!"
Rackus: "The world's a lot farther away now!"
Zane: "We're working on that. Sorta."
Rackus: "Alright. I'll lead you over to the fissure in the woods near where Slate would be so we can transition to the Dreaming."
Aleith|DM: Once you get to the fissure, with a bit of careful maneuvering, you can pilot your ship through what appears to be a ten-mile deep canyon of glass, where reflective shards spin in freefall.
Aleith|DM: Rivulets of black fluid—witchoil—seeps between the cracks, and that oil positively glistens with souls that are trapped in it.
Aleith|DM: Once you get to the 'bottom' of the canyon, you and Rock manage to flip your vessels (more slowly and carefully this time) and rise up amid the burning chessboard forest near the fey capital city Clover.
Garrett: "Oh man." He leaves the cabin, heading for the railing. "What a sight."
Phyllis: "I wonder if this is similar to how Gale traversed the Bleak Gate way back when."
Aleith|DM: Overhead, you can see the Gyre looming stupendously close. The two cog-shaped nebulae span the sky from horizon to horizon, and it becomes clear that your mere hours from being caught in the immense gear teeth, or dashed to bits upon some other dying world. Indeed, dozens of jagged shards of rock float overhead like shattered moons.
Zane: "Don't look up, Singh."
[OOC] Aleith|DM: becomes clear that you're
Garrett: "(Maybe you should give him a really wide brimmed hat.)"
Gerald: "Uhh."
Garrett: "…and we're being followed."
Chandrasekhar: "Rrrgh, I can FEEL it."
Gerald: "You got friends with a golden ship, Rock?"
Zane looks up. "I see them."
Rackus: "Golden? That sounds like the devils."
Gerald‘ gestures vaguely with his shotgun before resting it on his shoulder.
Garrett` sends out a message to the crew. . o O (Load cannons, aim here-) he thinks, towards the direction of the golden ship he spotted.
Zane points straight at the forest. "They are right there."
Aleith|DM: Now that you know it’s there, you can keep track of it even as it moves through the forest. Once it gets within range-and the crew lowers the ship a bit to help that-they angle the cannons downwards, and fire on the ship as it approaches.
Aleith|DM: Zane, roll an attack roll for the Coaltongue: +27, and adding your dex modifier to that
Zane rolled 1d20+36 and got 15 ( Total: 51.0 )
Aleith|DM rolled 5d10 and got 9, 8, 2, 7, 3 ( Total: 29 )
Aleith|DM: The first barrage hits mightily! The hull is a bit damaged, and the eldritch shield protecting their ship is completely destroyed, killing several of the crew as well!
[OOC] Aleith|DM: the last strike was negated by the ship's Daunting Demeanor
Garrett: "Bring 'er about, prepare to board!"
Aleith|DM: The devils were not expecting you to get the first attack, and are unprepared when your ship drops deftly out of the sky to land next to them!
Aleith|DM: TO BE CONTINUED

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License