Zg Session 102

Aleith|DM: Winter 75
Aleith|DM: After taking down She Who Writhes, the Coaltongue was loaded up with supplies for your voyage to Axis Island and possibly beyond. After sailing out the next day, you're approaching Axis Island during your third day at sea.
[OOC] Aleith|DM: https://i.imgur.com/ahOrBL4.jpg
Ernst: "So, placing any bets on what happened at Nico's ritual?"
Gerald: "Sudden Dragon Encounter, sounds like."
Garrett: "Odds on him needing a new body after that?"
Gerald: "Hmm."
Gerald: "High, I'd say."
Phyllis: "Not like 'need' is why he changes bodies."
Phyllis: "Whimsy."
Gerald: "We kind of ruined the good one he was using before…"
Chandrasekhar: "I wonder if eventually he'll run out, and that's how the world ends. What do you think, Lenz?"
Aleith|DM: There isn't any fleet of ships, so it appears you've beaten the Danorans here as Ashima-Shimtu advised. The walls appear to have been significantly upgraded since you were last here, as the outer wall is now lined with cannon turrets, as well as dozens of sniper nests and bunkers.
[OOC] Aleith|DM: https://i.imgur.com/fB8qUWh.jpg
Aleith|DM: There's also a Pemberton Industries logo painted on the wall.
Chandrasekhar: "Ah, lovely."
Ernst: "Just who I wanted to deal with."
Aleith|DM: Once your ship approaches a bit closer, you hear a familiar voice shouting out over the water. It seems to be amplified by something. "It's the constables, right? Welcome to the Pemberton Industries newest branch!"
Gerald: "Hello!"
Phyllis: "I don't think he can hear you from that far away, Gerald."
Phyllis: "Though I could cast Battlefield Elocution…"
Garrett‘ crosses his arms. "Creative choice for an expansion. I almost… almost appreciate the muscling out of other interests."
Gerald` shrugs.
Pemberton: "Now, I know we’re something like adversaries and all, but I'm hoping we can put aside our differences and work together against the global threat!"
Garrett: "I don't know, let me consult my Diplomat to the Dragons." He glances at Zane.
Zane looks at Garrett. "Given established precidents both historical and personal, I have to advise you against entering into any sort of diplomatic relations with a dragon."
Zane: "Also I'm going to cut his liver out."
Chandrasekhar: "Yes, but what can we get out of him first, is the question."
Garrett‘ looks back to the fortress. "Any other organs that are in the way of the liver, I bet."
Chandrasekhar: "Possibly: closing some distance with a smile on our faces. Possibly. Also, that."
Zane shrugs. "I’m done playing with Gradiax. If you want to play nice to get me in closer I won't object. But I *am* going to kill him."
Phyllis: "I only played nice with the Fey Titans because they're just … large."
Phyllis: "Gradiax is large and predatory."
Garrett‘ . o O (Yeah, absolutely. Death is on the table.)
Zane thinks. "I promise I wont attack him until after he is done trying to sell us his line of bullshit. Fair?"
Chandrasekhar: "I confess that I have been looking forward to this."
Garrett: "Well, Pemberton, if you want to talk, and you can hear this, how about opening some gates?"
Ernst: "Works for me. It’ll get us close enough to not get blown out of the water first."
Gerald: "Oh, yeah, nothing predatory about the Titans, Phyllis. Other than literally anything out of any of heir mouths, the wolf aside."
Phyllis . o O ( Do it whenever. You have my permissiont o do it even earlier. )
Aleith|DM: The walls are bristling with enough weaponry to make it something like a deathtrap, yes.
Pemberton: "Alright! I'll see you inside!" The sea gates begin to open.
Garrett‘ nods to the helmsmen to take us that-a-way.
Aleith|DM: The Coaltongue sails into the walled harbour of Axis Fortress. A few gnolls stand nearby cautiously while your crew docks the ship.
Aleith|DM: Many of the buildings nearby look repurposed, smokestacks and large entryways added onto the buildings.
Garrett` nods his head about. "Keep your arms on you, men," he advises to the crew of the Coaltongue, and moves to disembark.
Zane: "I’m tempted to walk in there unarmed just to tempt them into doing something stupid.
Zane: "But work before play."
Gerald: "Zane don't rip your arms off it takes way too long to grow them back."
Zane: "Couple hours wasnt it? We know that ritual."
Gerald: "And you're gunna need them way before then!"
Zane: "One can only hope."
Aleith|DM: The gnolls ask you to follow them, and they lead you over to a spot with a table and several chairs. Pemberton is seated at one of the chairs, and Pardo is standing nearby. There's several empty glasses by a pitcher of light green liquid. Pemberton's sipping from a glass full of it.
Zane . o O (Garrett is that him or is it another stupid autmaton?)
Garrett‘ . o O (Surprising nobody, these are both duplicants. Pemberton’s soul seems to be tied to the inner fortress. Pardo's… somewhere southwest.)
Pemberton: "Welcome again, constables. Come, sit down and let's chat. Have some limeade if you like: I'm partial to lemonade, but limes are more attainable in the archipelago."
Aleith|DM: The inner fortress' walls are also bristling with weaponry.
Gerald‘ plops down into the chair, looking at the drink suspiciously.
Zane: "Getting real tired of dealing with your constructs, Gradiax. This is not how you build trust."
Chandrasekhar bows, elegantly. (Those familiar with the appropriate etiquette to the point of shocking nerdery would recognise an overdone-ness to it almost, but deniably not quite, to the point of open mockery.)
Phyllis sits down, pours a glass, and downs it without even blinking.
Garrett: "I’ll pass," he says as he makes his say to a chair but doesn't sit just yet.
Pemberton: "Don't think me foolish, constable. I have a pretty good idea of what would happen otherwise."
Aleith|DM: It's probably a bit too fruity for you, but otherwise refreshing.
Gerald: "You did kind of turn out to be a bomb and attempted to go off right in our face last we met."
Garrett: "We've been busy at home, but I admit some surprise at your initiative," he remarks, looking around a bit.
Garrett: "What inspired you?"
Pemberton: "I think the last time was actually when Ms. Lenz here completely shut down my automatons under that island."
Zane stands behind Garretts right shoulder, arms crossed. [Defensive Stance]
Gerald‘ waves dismissively
Phyllis: "Both you and Nicodemus use constructs that relied on the Bleak Gate. You two have a common weakness."
Phyllis: "Or at least, you did at the time. Given the shifting planes, I don’t know how much that's changed."
Pemberton: "Well, as you might recall, a month ago the stars fell from the sky. I was only a few islands away when I saw this damnable beam of light rising from the island. After that giant explosion happpened, I couldn't help but come investigate. We came, actually conquered, and have been looking around since then. What have you been up to since then?"
Zane: "Quelling fey titans."
Phyllis: "Resolving some domestic disputes."
Pemberton: "Titans, eh? In my youth, I once heard the Father of Thunder was up and about, and I thought, Grady, it’d be a damned shame not to take a crack at the old son of a gun before whichever king was in charge of Risur put the titan back to sleep. I tell you, that hairy bastard did not appreciate me strafing his herd. Zapped me good."
Garrett: "All the fey titans, booting the Obscurati out again."
Chandrasekhar: "He wasn't much of a challenge." He's smiling, and you can hear it.
Gerald: "Most of them are poor losers, yeah."
Pemberton: "What happened with the planes, Ms. Lenz? It's not my strong suit, unlike Inatch."
Garrett: "How's Nico, by the by? Did you eat him or did he abscond?"
Phyllis tilts her head. "Before I answer that, what or who did you conquer here?"
Pemberton: "Wasn't here by the time I got here. We routed the remaining forces, but the presumable site of the ritual looked like a bomb went off."
Phyllis: "Whose remaining forces?"
Gerald: "I know *we* got hit by a star so it wouldn't surprise me if they were too."
Pemberton: "Some Danorans, but mostly those Ob fellows."
Aleith|DM: There's a glowing tendril of light coming from the centre of the island.
Aleith|DM: It flickers constantly.
Phyllis inhales, considering if she should let on what they know. "You're going to find out one way or another, I suppose?"
Phyllis: "What have you found while you've been here?"
Pemberton: "Between Pardo and Brakken, we can probably divine a few more things. Oh, right, your friend the ambassador was investigating me-Bruse Shantus was quite wary, of course-but he and I have decided to work together to stop the Obscurati. We would really appreciate you working with us. If you want, we can go look at the ritual site."
Zane raises an eyebrow.
Gerald: "Man."
Pemberton: "I know a thing or two about fighting against authority, and aside from Risur, the Ob basically have control of the rest of the world."
Gerald: "How did you convince Ber to work with you?"
Garrett: "That's a pretty, uh, unique pairing."
Pemberton: "I'm working with Brakken, not Ber, sadly. She Who Writhes kept me trapped here after I invaded."
Zane audibly grinds his teeth.
Phyllis: "She kept us trapped in, too."
Phyllis: "We managed."
Chandrasekhar: "Well, not everyone is as strong as we are." Again, audibly smiling.
Garrett: "Oh, well, that makes more sense."
Pemberton shrugs. "As did we. Anyway, shall we check out the ritual site? We can take some new 'automobiles' I've designed to make the trip quicker."
Gerald: "Sure why not."
Garrett‘ darts a glance at Ernst but nods anyhow.
Phyllis: "Why do you want to stop the Obscurati?"
Pemberton: "We’ll meet up with Brakken around there, as well. He's been using his psychic powers to try and track down the remaining Obscurati loyalists."
Ernst: "If nothing else, it's clear that someone else fucked Nicodemus over and Pemberton here just capitilized on it."
Gerald: "More like they finished what they needed and left."
Pemberton: "They're sucking the life and fun out of the chaotic mess I liked living in. They even got rid of the sun, for crying out loud!"
Ernst: "I have my doubts that explosion was intentional but I can say for sure when we reach the ritual site."
Chandrasekhar: "The status quo is where he's been keeping all his stuff."
Pemberton: "I don't want to turn into a cog in their machine."
Phyllis smiles. Genuinely.
Zane: "That would just be terrible wouldn't it."
Phyllis: "As long as we don't turn into one in yours."
Phyllis: "… The collective 'we', the populace."
Phyllis: "Not just the present company."
Pemberton: "Industry is a pleasant diversion, anyway."
Pemberton: "I can run those cogs all I want."
Phyllis: "Literal cogs here, not, say, factory workers and dockers?"
Chandrasekhar makes a mildly disgusted noise.
Garrett: "This conversation is oscillating between literal and figurative a whole bunch."
Pemberton: "I like to think my labour standards were a bit better than some of the others in Parity Lake."
Gerald: "Low bar to crawl over."
Pemberton: "Admittedly true."
Phyllis: "I'm actually not familiar, but we can discuss it with them."
Aleith|DM: He shows you several vehicles near the southern exit of Axis Fortress: steam-powered road cars. he vehicle has a very industrial aesthetic with lots of exposed metal, no roofs or windows.
Pemberton: "I haven't gotten around to gusying them up yet, but of course for public prodcution they'll have fine upholstery and leather seats."
Gerald: "Ah, it's like our cart just… a boiler engine instead of the automaton horses."
Gerald: "Don't they get hot…?"
Gerald‘ climbs inside, inspecting it.
Garrett` headtilts, walking around one first.
Chandrasekhar looks… almost impressed. Disgusted, but impressed. "Wouldn’t it… explode?" He's not going anywhere near it until Gerald gives the all-clear.
Ernst: "Mind if I drive?"
Pemberton: "They only fit four people, so, I can show you how to drive one if you like? We're going to need to take two. The cooling's a bit inspired, really."
Gerald: "No, assuming they regulate the pressure and you don't slam into anything that shouldn't be a problem just… I imagine they get very warm."
Pemberton: "Try not to drive at top speed for too long. The trip should only take a few minutes, anyway."
Aleith|DM: He shows Ernst how to drive the car.
Gerald‘ nods to Chandrasekhar before settling down.
Chandrasekhar sits down, trepidatiously.
Aleith|DM: Pemberton gets into the driver seat for one of the cars, Pardo sitting beside him.
Garrett` settles into the Gradymobile, nods for Zane to sit next to him.
Zane sits beside Garrett. He drums his fingers on a piece of metal.
Aleith|DM: Once you’re ready to go, he takes off. Ernst is able to follow after having taken a couple of small laps around the fortress as practice.
Aleith|DM: You head down the coast and around the mountains for the valley running through the centre of the island.
Aleith|DM: A few minutes later, as you're approaching one of the villages (D), you hear a lumbering crash of metal and feel a presence in your minds. You're a few hundred feet out when you spot a 17-ft. tall construct lumber into view from behind a crane, headless but with some wispy tendrils trailing upward from the cracked hole between its shoulders.
Aleith|DM: You recognize the construct from the last time you were on the island, having run into on your way to the fortress from the sea cave.
Pemberton claps his hands once with excitement and guns the car's engine, driving straight for the golem. "This damned monster killed some of my subjects. Now I hate to ask a favour of my guests, but I'm about to drive very close to it, so if you would be so kind to do what your good at?"
Zane: "Believe me, Gradiax. I would like nothing more than to do what I am good at."
Gerald: "Oh hey it's that thing."
Zane: "I am surprised you havent already destroyed it, honestly."
Pemberton: "We chased it off, but the damned thing is resilient."
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 43:Zane | 38:Garrett | 32:Gerald | 30:Phyllis | 29:Ernst | 28:Chandrasekhar | 22:Pemberton |
Zane: "Mm. First the Father of Thunder, now this. You really are bad at straight up confrontations, arent you?"
Ernst: "… can't we just stop the car and shoot it from here?"
Ernst: "I'm pretty sure we can rifle it down in a minute tops."
Zane doesn't bother with anything flashy. Just throws a grenade.
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 43:Zane | 38:Garrett | 32:Gerald | 30:Phyllis | 29:Ernst | 28:Chandrasekhar | 25:Obscurati Golem | 22:Pemberton | 19:Axis Hivemind |
Zane rolled d20+30 and got 18 ( Total: 48 )
Zane rolled 6d6+19 and got 3, 5, 2, 1, 2, 4 ( Total: 36.0 )
Also rolled 3d8 and got 8, 8, 8 [Total: 24 (High), Avg: 8.00]
Total: 60.0, Avg: 4.56
Aleith|DM: one more d20 for the hivemind
Zane rolled 3d6 and got 5, 5, 2 ( Total: 12 ) for forgot about brutal 2
Phyllis rolled d20 and got 12 ( Total: 12 ) for Sage of Ages preroll
Zane rolled d20+30 and got 6 ( Total: 36 )
Aleith|DM: Miss due to superior cover!
Aleith|DM rolled d6r2 and got 3 ( Total: 3 )
Garrett‘ gives a sideways glance at Pemberton. [Insight?]
Aleith|DM: He seems like he’s going to do exactly as he said, and drive you into melee range.
Aleith|DM: He wants this thing scrapped.
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 68! 34!
Aleith|DM: Garrett!
Garrett‘ leans out of the side of the car and flicks his dagger at the golem! [Sly Flourish]
Garrett` rolled 1d20+33 and got 1 ( Total: 34 ) for vs AC
[Sly Fortune’s Favor]
Garrett‘ rolled 1d20+33 and got 4 ( Total: 37 ) for vs AC
Aleith|DM: Miss!
Garrett: "Hmmph."
Aleith|DM: Gerald!
Gerald` leans to the side to avoid shooting the windshield, makrs the robot and hivemind as his [Quarry], then fires a [Manticore’s Volley] into it.
Gerald‘ rolled 2#d20+31(1) and got 16 ( Total: 47 )
Also rolled 2#d20+31(2) and got 20 [Total: 51]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 98
Gerald` rolled 2#d20+31(1) and got 12 ( Total: 43 )
Also rolled 2#d20+31(2) and got 14 [Total: 45]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 88
Gerald` rolled 2#d20+31(1) and got 16 ( Total: 47 )
Also rolled 2#d20+31(2) and got 8 [Total: 39]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 86
Aleith|DM: Crit+hit! Hits! Hits!
[OOC] Aleith|DM: into which?
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: n.b. y’all have +2 to your genitals until I take HP damage
Gerald‘ rolled 5d6+60 and got 5, 2, 3, 6, 6 ( Total: 82 ) for Full damage to the Hivemind. 24 to the Robot.
d8+20: 4 [Total: 24]
d8+20: 5 [Total: 25]
Also rolled 2d10+24 and got 9, 5 [Total: 38]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 169
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 169! 24!
Aleith|DM: Phyllis!
Phyllis fires off two [Illusory Ambushes]. (Quickened Spellcasting wooooo)
Phyllis rolled 2#d20+28(1) and got 2 ( Total: 30.0 ) for one each
Also rolled 2#d20+28(2) and got 6 [Total: 34.0 (Low), Avg: 6.00]
Total: 64.0, Avg: 4.00
Aleith|DM: Misses!
Phyllis replaces one with the 12 from Keeper’s Prescience for a 40.
Aleith|DM: 1 hit!
Gerald: "Swear it's like none of you have shot things while on top of a fast moving vehicle before or something."
Ernst: "If you'll recall I was outside the train when it was starting up dealing with the bandits."
Phyllis rolled 2d6+29 and got 6, 5 ( Total: 40.0 ) for vs the main golem, -6/-2 you know the drill
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 40!
Aleith|DM: Ernst!
Ernst rolls the car up a bit closer [Idle Speed + Move for angle] before firing off a [Magic Weapon - Quickened Spellcasting Minor] followed by a [Prismatic Strike] on the Golem.
Ernst rolled 2#d20+32(1) and got 2 ( Total: 34.0 )
Also rolled 2#d20+32(2) and got 10 [Total: 42.0 (Low), Avg: 10.00]
Total: 76.0, Avg: 6.00
Aleith|DM: Miss! Hit!
[OOC] Ernst: Does sitting still in the car count as moving for the purposes of +3 dmg if you haven't moved lol…
Aleith|DM: no
[OOC] Ernst: Damn if these were european cars I would have hit Garrett with MW
Ernst rolled 2d8+16 and got 5, 5 ( Total: 26.0 ) for +5 to hit, +5 dmg, brutal 1 to Gerald, Phyllis, Chandra
Ernst rolled 2#d20+30(1) and got 2 ( Total: 32.0 ) for Prismatic Strike
Also rolled 2#d20+30(2) and got 14 [Total: 44.0 (High), Avg: 14.00]
Total: 76.0, Avg: 8.00
Ernst rolled d8+16 and got 1 ( Total: 17.0 ) for Thunder, Force, Fire, Golem is knocked prone, pushed 5, -3 to attack rolls, cannot stand up
d8+16: 5 [Total: 21.0 (High), Avg: 5.00]
d8+16: 3 [Total: 19.0 (Low), Avg: 3.00]
Total: 57.0, Avg: 3.00
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 26! 57!
Aleith|DM: The hivemind doesn't go along for the ride!
Aleith|DM: Chandrasekhar!
Chandrasekhar prays for [Virtue] and then goes quiet, for a moment, and then all their armour shines a bright, sunlike gold. They're in three places at once, for a split second; they chant three holy names in unison. The world tastes sunlight.
There is a golden mirror, floating midair close to the Axis Hivemind, and out of the mirror steps a six-armed goddess - or Her memory, her flickering image. [Aspect of Srasama. Goddess forgive me I don't have a pog for it.]
Gerald: "…Huh."
Chandrasekhar speaks with a voice that both is, and is not, their own. "If this world has forgotten sunlight, it shall remember."
[Any enemy within 5 squares of the aspect not immune to fear takes a –2 penalty to attack rolls with attacks that do not include the aspect as a target]
Aleith|DM: The headless golem struggles on the ground, causing a cloud of black vapour to materialize in front of Ernst's car. It provides concealment. [Witchoil Discharge]
[OOC] Aleith|DM: Until the end of the encounter, the area becomes a zone of black vapor that provides concealment. Any creature that enters the zone or ends its turn there takes 15 necrotic damage.
Aleith|DM rolled d6 and got 2 ( Total: 2 )
Aleith|DM: Pemberton, instead of speeding up, slows it down a bit and drives right past the golem.
The Aspect does a thing, apparently.
White fog wafts up from the ground, and as you breathe it you struggle to remember why you’re here. [Mind Fog - Attacks that target Will defense of creatures in the zone gain a +5 bonus.]
Chandrasekhar rolled d20+30 and got 13 ( Total: 43 ) for I guess??? vs. ref
Chandrasekhar rolled d6 and got 2 ( Total: 2 ) for fire/radiant
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: oh boy!!
[OOC] Phyllis: d6 … plus the appropriate mods.
Aleith|DM: The hivemind unleashes a flurry of attacks! [Tentacle Sieze, AP -> Tentacle Seize]
Aleith|DM: It first unleases a couple of Alinear Tentacles on the Aspect!
Aleith|DM rolled d20+22 and got 2 ( Total: 24.0 ) for vs Ref
d20+26: 7 [Total: 33.0 (Low), Avg: 7.00]
Total: 57.0, Avg: 4.50
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: does the Aspect count as 'not me' for the purposes of Champion's Countenance? >_>
Aleith|DM: yes
Aleith|DM: Those both miss anyway
Aleith|DM: It then sens a psychic presence crashing into Gerald's mind! [Roil with Paranoia]
Aleith|DM: Which triggers an Opportunity Attack from the Aspect, striking it for 3 fire/radiant damage after insubstantial.
[OOC] Chandrasekhar: -2 penalty, and +2 NADs btw
Aleith|DM rolled d20+24 and got 18 ( Total: 42 ) for vs Will
[OOC] Aleith|DM: I took that into account
Gerald: "…?!"
Gerald‘ quickly shoots it as it starts to cast. [Disruptive Shot]
Gerald` rolled 2#d20+36(1) and got 2 ( Total: 38 )
Also rolled 2#d20+36(2) and got 17 [Total: 53]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 91
Aleith|DM: Suddenly unrelated coincidences snap into clarity as part of a vast conspiracy arrayed against you. You can trust no one. [The target views its allies as enemies and no longer views the hivemind or golem as
Aleith|DM: enemies (save ends).]
Gerald` rolled d8+20 and got 2 ( Total: 22 ) for -8 to hit
d10+8: 10 [Total: 18]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 40
Aleith|DM: -or not. Hit!
Phyllis: It must have worked too well.
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 40!
Aleith|DM: It then tears into the aspect with 4 more Alinear Tentacles.
Aleith|DM rolled 4#d20+26(1) and got 17 ( Total: 43.0 ) for vs Ref
Also rolled 4#d20+26(2) and got 4 [Total: 30.0 (Low), Avg: 4.00]
Also rolled 4#d20+26(3) and got 2 [Total: 28.0 (Low), Avg: 2.00]
Also rolled 4#d20+26(4) and got 9 [Total: 35.0 (Low), Avg: 9.00]
Total: 136.0, Avg: 8.00
Aleith|DM rolled 2d10+10 and got 4, 5 ( Total: 19.0 )
Aleith|DM: Hitting for 19!
Aleith|DM: Battle Order: | 43:Zane | 38:Garrett | 32:Gerald | 30:Phyllis | 29:Ernst | 28:Chandrasekhar | 25:Obscurati Golem | 22:Pemberton | 19:Axis Hivemind |
Aleith|DM: Zane!
Phyllis rolled d20 and got 9 ( Total: 9 ) for Keeper’s Prescience
Zane sighs. "That thing has to go." And he rolls off the back of the car, vanishing before he hits the ground. [Untraceable Step, Movement] A moment later there's a small explosion of fog around the Hivemind. [Insanity Mist].
Zane rolled d20+30 and got 18 ( Total: 48 )
Aleith|DM: Hit!
Zane rolled 3d10+24 and got 10, 10, 6 ( Total: 50.0 ) for Damage, Furious Assault, Attack Finesse, Assassin Strike, Brute damage dice
Also rolled 4d8 and got 7, 8, 2, 4 [Total: 21 (High), Avg: 5.25]
Also rolled 6d10 and got 4, 8, 5, 9, 10, 1 [Total: 37 (High), Avg: 6.17]
Also rolled 5d6 and got 3, 5, 4, 6, 1 [Total: 19 (High), Avg: 3.80]
Total: 127.0, Avg: 5.72
Aleith|DM: The hivemind screeches as it fades from existence! [KO!]
Aleith|DM: The golem is slowed!
Gerald: "Uhh… sure okay I guess."
Garrett: "Ha hah! Good going!"
Aleith|DM: Garrett!
Garrett‘ stabs at the golem as Pemberton circles about, and then hops into the now vacant seat to keep stabbing! [Circling Predator]
Garrett` rolled 1d20+33 and got 18 ( Total: 51 ) for vs AC
[Trickster’s Control - Circling Predator Refreshes lmao]
Garrett` rolled 1d20+33 and got 8 ( Total: 41 ) for vs AC
Aleith|DM: Hits!
Garrett` rolled 1d4r1+31 and got 3 ( Total: 34.0 )
Also rolled 1d4r1+36 and got 3 [Total: 39.0 (High), Avg: 3.00]
Also rolled 5d8 and got 5, 3, 3, 1, 4 [Total: 16 (Low), Avg: 3.20]
Total: 89.0, Avg: 3.14
Garrett` then slices across the golem’s joints! [Minor - Low Slash]
Dicebot:// Multiple Rolls Error: Unable to parse 1d20+ in 1d20+#3
Garrett‘ rolled 1d20+33 and got 14 ( Total: 47 ) for vs Ref
Garrett` rolled 1d4r1+36: (1, 2) [Total: 38.0 (Low), Avg and got 2.00
[Slowed UEoNT]
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 89! 38!
Aleith|DM: //Bloodied!

Garrett` passes on pressing the advantage. [end turn]
Aleith|DM: Gerald!
Gerald` rolls out of the car to avoid the gas Ernst is idling in, then fires off a [Pounding Barrage] into the down robot after rolling bakc to his feet.
Gerald` rolled 2#d20+36(1) and got 19 ( Total: 55 )
Also rolled 2#d20+36(2) and got 13 [Total: 49]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 104
Gerald` rolled 2#d20+36(1) and got 7 ( Total: 43 )
Also rolled 2#d20+36(2) and got 11 [Total: 47]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 90
Gerald` rolled 2#d20+36(1) and got 16 ( Total: 52 )
Also rolled 2#d20+36(2) and got 7 [Total: 43]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 95
Aleith|DM: Crit! Hits Hits!
Gerald` rolled 5d6+89 and got 6, 5, 1, 2, 1 ( Total: 104 )
Also rolled 4d8+32 and got 8, 2, 7, 7 [Total: 56]
Also rolled 4d8+32 and got 5, 7, 3, 1 [Total: 48]
[OOC] Sugarlips: Grand Total: 208
[OOC] Ernst: Technically also brutal 1 and +5 dmg from MW but…
Gerald` rolled 2d8r1+6 and got 8, 6 ( Total: 20.0 ) for for forgot a bonus of +2x3 too
Garrett` turns back to sit in his seat and sheathes his dagger.
[OOC] Aleith|DM: 226!
Aleith|DM: Phyllis!
Phyllis just zaps it with [Chain Lightning]. I suppose, to the rest, that’s a new trick.
Aleith|DM: Yeah. That'll do it. [KO!]
Phyllis: Half damage on a miss. Why bother rolling?
Pemberton: "…yeah. That's why I don't want to mess with you."
Zane reappears in Garretts old seat. "Little late for that."
Gerald: "Yeah that was just a warm up!" Gerald shouts while turning his head back to the car he just jumped out of.
Pemberton: "Fair point. We all know it ends badly for one side, and it's probably not going to be yours."
Ernst maneuvers around the ground hazards before going back on the road.
Pemberton: "And Nic knows this too, which is why I want to work with you." He continues driving towards the former lake.
Ernst then glances at Gerald giving him a deadpan look before hitting the horn twice in an experimental fashion.
Aleith|DM: He then slows down right shortly, as a minotaur and a squad of gnolls emerges from the jungle nearby.
The Avatar of Srasama picks Gerald up, cradling him in all six arms, dropping him into one of the empty seats with perfect precision as it drives past; it then disperses into golden light.
Gerald: "-Ah!"
Gerald: "…That was way easier than what I was thinking of doing."
Aleith|DM: Brakken raises his hand towards you as you stop nearby. "Greetings." He seems tired.
Ernst: "If you didn't hurry I was just going to warp you in but grapple hooking the car would have been amusing."
Gerald: "Oh man I didn't even then of that, I was just going to jump and grab onto Chandra… which would have been a little tricky with him invisible but whatever."
Zane shrugs. "All you have to do is persuade the King of Risur to order me not to kill you." . o O (Garrett I swear by everything I hold sacred I will be *so pissed* if you enforce that.)
Garrett: "We're still on this journey on these automobiles, to which- I at least am interested in still riding, equal to seeing the ritual site…"
Aleith|DM: Brakken rushes up to the golem to check on it.
Garrett: "…so I'm still reserving some judgment!" He nods toward Brakken.
Zane grunts. "Brakken. I'm surprised to find you here."
Aleith|DM: He hold out a hand out to it and thinks, before announcing, "I have a sense of where the hivemind came from-one of the mines a quarter mile up the mountain. The Obscurati hold-outs are probably there."
Aleith|DM: He smiles towards you. "It's good to see you again, constables."
Gerald: "Hi."
Phyllis: "Likewise."
Garrett‘ . o O (A dagger cloaked in velvet is a common enough maneuver.)
Brakken: "You guys have been busy since Ber. Amarie’s articles have kept us somewhat up to date, including your little trip around the world, but we haven't had news from Risur since the sky fell."
Garrett: "Risur's doing well and I became the new king." He grins. "The two are perhaps, related?"
Brakken's eyebrows raise in surprise. "Congratulations on your coronation, King Woodson!"
Ernst: "Well is a pretty optimistic take on things."
Phyllis: "Relative to how it was a month ago."
Brakken . o O (Ruling seems like too much busywork to me.)
Chandrasekhar: "I'll take optimism in times like these."
Phyllis: "And not under the thumb of the Obscurati. Like here, as well."
Garrett‘ nods sympathetically, but without saying why.
Gerald: "So uh."
Gerald: "How’d you and the dragon that tried to kill ya'll wind up working together anyway?" Gerald gestures from Brakken to Pemberton.
Brakken: "I'm a little surprised you're actually listening to Gradiax, but while the Bruse and I were nervous about his ultimate motives, I've sensed enough of the dragon's emotions to trust that he actually does want to cooperate against our mutual enemy, the Obscurati."
Garrett: "Not nearly as surprised going the other way."
Brakken: "I'm not working with him on an official basis with Ber, to be clear. This is just my personal feelings. In a way, I'm still infiltrating his operations." He gives a large shrug.
Zane . o O ( Garrett is that actuall Brakken or is it yet another construct? )
Garrett‘ . o O (Soul, flesh, and blood.)
Gerald: "Aha."
Zane: "Mm."
Phyllis: "Having a mutual enemy describes the short term, but what do his long-term plans entail?"
Phyllis: "If he only aims to clear the board of rivals so he can reign, I am unsure about this alliance still."
Gerald: "You know what would be funny,"
Pemberton: "If we take out Sovereign Jierre, I suppose you wouldn’t be willing to let me have Danor, would you?"
Garrett: "Don't push it."
Gerald: "Is if we put a bomb with a timer in his real dragon chest that had to be periodically reset, since he's like putting bombs in his body so much."
Pemberton sighs. "That's what I figured."
Zane 's finger twitch violently. Only the fact that it's a replica has saved this Pemberton from a sudden, violent death.
Pemberton: "I'd be willing to work directly for Risur again, with a negotiable oath if required. Or to leave Lanjyr entirely, afterwards."
Gerald: "I guess a Geass would be more practical… less funny though."
Pemberton: "I've already dealt with it once, and I still can't work against Risur directly as it stands."
Pemberton: "Would you like to chase down the last of these Obscurati folks and find out what they have to say about the island?"
Phyllis: "Potentially."
Garrett: "Are we just the cleaning crew at this point?" he says, arms crossed. "What's the deal with where they are?"
Brakken: "This hivemind's residue finally let us find them; it's been difficult tracking them down."
Brakken: "We're just asking if you want to speak with them before looking at the scene of the ritual."
Gerald: "Hmm."
Garrett‘ glances at Phyllis for this one, just sort of a second opinion sort of deal.
Phyllis: "I don’t see why not. They're the closest thing we'd have to an eyewitness account. Or at least closer than Gradiax."
Gerald: "Honestly probably not? When was the last time anyone in Nico's direct underlings had any idea what he was up to, much less the mooks he'd leave behind to guard an undefendable point?"
Gerald: "…Though yeah I guess they might've seen what happened, good point."
Garrett: "Let's find 'em and have a chat, yeah."
Pemberton: "It's a bit of a hike up the mountain. Do you want us to come with, or stay here? I can send Pardo with you."
Aleith|DM: Several of the gnolls with Brakken were injured and are staying with the cars, at least.
Garrett: "Come with us. It'll save some he-said-she-said later."
Pemberton: "Alright."
Aleith|DM: Brakken begs off. "I'm going to catch my breath here. The strain on keeping us hidden from the hivemind was heavy."
Zane: "Watch yourself."
Brakken nods.
Garrett‘ nods. "Take care."
Aleith|DM: The hike up the mountain takes about 10 minutes. The entrance to the cave is familiar - it’s the one you used for your infiltration nearly two years ago.
Zane: "Heh."
Garrett: "If we had gone this way everything would be -so- on fire right now."
Aleith|DM: You find several dead bodies on your way through the mine, cause of death unknown. They seem to have just dropped dead, though they weren't in the greatest condition and a bit underfed even then.
Zane: "Mmmhmmm."
Chandrasekhar: "…wonder what happened here?"
Zane is probably thinking literally. But then again, Garrett knows him well enough that maybe the king was, too.
Aleith|DM: Near the end of the cave, by the water, you find a woman, who says panickedly, "who's there?!"
Garrett‘ didn’t need psychic powers to be right on the nose with that line.
Zane: "Candygram."
Gerald: "Huh?"
Zane: "OK techncially its jerky not candy because you look like you need to eat something."
Garrett: "Royal Homeland Constabulary."
Aleith|DM: The woman seems confused, too. "…thank you!"
Gerald: "Anyway we've highly dangerous and armed people that are investigating the apocolypse and looking for people to question. Who are you?"
Garrett: "Anyone else still about? They'll need help too."
Aleith|DM: She looks at you with a bit more distrust after that. "I'll tell you what you want to know for some more food and water. I can show you the colossus and explain whatever's left of the ritual."
Aleith|DM: She shakes her head. "I think the rest are all dead now."
Garrett: "Sure."
Zane: "Sounds like a good deal to me. Its the one I was gonna propose anyway." He passes her a chunk of beef jerky and a waterskin.
Gerald‘ shrugs, tossing her a waterskin.
Garrett` walks around a bit, listening to the land. [Tremorsense for other humanoids nearby.]
Zane: "Sip, don’t gulp. You'll make yourself sick."
Aleith|DM: She takes them gratefully, tearing into the jerky, before drinking too much water at once and-yeah. A coughing fit ensues.
Aleith|DM: Just her, as far as you can tell. There's no one else moving nearby aside some rats and vermin.
Zane gives a shrug and a 'why me?' gesture.
Phyllis: "There … was a hivemind. I thought it would have been from your gathering. How soon ago did they die?"
Zane: "It probably was. All the unmarked corpses up front and all that."
Woman: "I'm…not sure. The days have been running together, and they've been dying one-by-one. Please, can we get away from all my dead friends?"
Garrett: "Yes, let's go somewhere… brighter."
Garrett‘ did NOT almost say ’less corpse-y.'
Aleith|DM: She nods and follows you, still chewing on the jerky.
Aleith|DM: But more slowly now.
Zane didn't even poison it! It's just good beef jerky.
Phyllis: "The colossus, you said? So Borne's here?"
Woman: "Yeah. He was working fine until the very end when-" She takes a deep breath. "When it all blew up."
Phyllis: "Yes, what … precisely blew up?"
Zane . o O (Garrett… I dont suppose your soul sight trick reveals the presence of our good friend Nicodemus if he's riding along in someone?)
Aleith|DM: The woman shakes her head. "I don't know."
Garrett‘ . o O (Her soul… -is- a bit fuzzy. It’s odd. Even souls that stretch don't look like… this.)
Zane . o O (Duly noted.)
Aleith|DM: As you leave the cave, a magic mouth appears on a nearby rock and says, with a Beran accent, "The woman you are with is actually Nicodemus, head of the conspiracy. Do not allow him to learn anything useful."
Gerald: "…What?"
Aleith|DM: The woman halts suddenly, then sighs. Her whole posture changes to something more recognizable as Nicodemus'.
Gerald: "Nico, how the fuck do you not know how to eat food when you're near dead? Isn't starving after accidents kind of your thing?"
Garrett: "We haven't -learned- anything useful, either. Well, no, -I- did." He turns, arms crossed.
Zane smiles widely. "I am real good at this game."
Garrett‘ . o O (Fuzzy souls, still bad. The body’s name is Cosette Arianne, but didn't translate as Nicodemus.)
Chandrasekhar crosses his arms.
Nicodemus: "Alright, constables." He turns to Gerald. "Could I get a cigarette, please?"
Nicodemus: "This body seems to have been starved, it wasn't hard to fake it."
Phyllis gives Gerald a Look.
Gerald: "No, but you can smoke on this." Gerald pulls his gun out, pressing the barrel into Nicodemus' mouth.
Aleith|DM: He reaches for the barrel, but the arm only raises partway before dropping. This body is tired.
Aleith|DM: He just looks unpertubed.
Chandrasekhar: "How long have you been waiting to use that line, Gerald?"
Gerald: "Give me a single fucking reason I shouldn't check to see if you can die now too, like your Diva friend did."
Garrett: "He can't talk like that, though."
Aleith|DM: Around the mouth of the barrel, he says, "you'd just be killing this poor woman, you know."
Aleith|DM: It's awkward, but he manages it.
Gerald: "I have two really competent ritual casters." He pulls the gun back while shrugging to Chandra.
Zane: "Yeah, Gerald. You'd need a way to trap the soul at the instant of death." Nicodemus feels the unmistakable chill of a knife blade against the back of his neck.
Zane: "Then maybe we could get somewhere."
Gerald: "You never know, maybe his soul hoping works the same way diva reincarnation… used to."
Nicodemus: "I'm afraid whatever tricks you have won't work, Constable Bieito. The woman called me here with a needlewire syringe, but you can't trap an idea."
[OOC] Gerald: might work^
Phyllis: "Assuming that's how his mechanism works."
Nicodemus: "How did you manage to sabotage the ritual, anyway? You killed a lot of my men, and I'm sorry I couldn't protect them."
Gerald: "Alright so…"
Gerald: "Stanfield thought he was really strong, right?"
Zane: "I have a sneaking suspicion I'm not going to get to kill *anybody* I really want to kill today, and its about to piss me off."
Gerald: "And could make lots of clones of himself?"
Gerald: "Turns out with enough guns and knives that doesn't actually matter."
Garrett: "We rolled in and killed everyone on the Ob-team."
Garrett: "Like how we usually do."
Nicodemus: "You're talking about Flint, correct? That was just to make sure Risur fell under our sway."
Nicodemus: "No, I'm talking about here, on the island."
Garrett: "Oh."
Phyllis shrugs.
Zane: "We had nothing to do with that then. We were busy murdering Stansfield."
Nicodemus: "Our divinations revelaed that the saboteur's orders came from Risur."
Phyllis: "I believe we were instructed not to let you know anything useful."
Gerald: "If you mean here I would assume that Borne came to his senses and flipped you the bird."
Nicodemus: "So we know you had something to do with it."
Garrett: "He's a good boy, deep down."
Phyllis: "Why should we tell you?"
Nicodemus: "If you'd only cooperated with us, the ritual would have been safely completed. The world would still have a sun, for one thing!"
Gerald: "I mean, I vaguely remember telling Borne you were a slimey piece of shit and to listen to his mom instead of daddy… does that count…?"
Chandrasekhar: "Ah, so you're admitting to error. That's a good start."
Nicodemus: "Borne acted admirably. But right as he was going to cover the Seal back up, a giant explosion happened, killing-assumedly most everyone there. My body died then."
Gerald: "…Explosives ahahahaha."
Chandrasekhar: "It's almost as if you shouldn't have been meddling with ancient forces you couldn't control! Imagine that."
Nicodemus: "It wasn't an explosion from the seal. It happened in our protective bunker."
Gerald: "That's why it's funny."
Nicodemus: "So it was literally an inside job."
Gerald: "All this time worrying about magic and it's power…"
Gerald: "And it was a bomb that fucked your shit up. That comedy, Nico!"
Chandrasekhar: "Wellll, you did start the secretive organisation devoted to information warfare and obscurity."
Gerald: "Aaah, I'm ont even made anymore." Gerald pulls out two ciggerates, hands one to Nicodemus.
Chandrasekhar: "Doesn't take Vekesh's wit to have predicted that would happen."
Phyllis slaps one out of Gerald's hands.
Gerald: "Ow."
Aleith|DM: Pemberton seems like he wants to say something, but is apparently taking that magic mouth seriously and is staying quiet.
Aleith|DM: Nicodemus takes the cigarette if still offered.
Gerald‘ shrugs apologetically at Nico as he lights his own and takes a drag.
Gerald: "So what was your actual plan anyway?"
Aleith|DM: He just levels a stare at Phyllis for a few seconds before speaking again.
Garrett: "Step 2, Nico."
Nicodemus: "Very well, I can promise you this, constables. The Obscurati will try again, and this time we won’t allow any resistance. Even after five hundred years, I had still hoped a gentle hand could guide people to the right path, but now I will have to take more forceful measures."
Nicodemus: "Fortunately, Risur is the only nation holding out against me. I'm proud to announce that leaders of many nations are en route to attend my Forward Symposium, where I will advise them to rally against your rebellious nation. Perhaps the ensuing war, while tragic, will help cement the bonds forming now between the obidient nations of the world."
Gerald: "Hey, Nicodemus."
Gerald: "How hard to you think it would be for any one of us to kill the new leaders you put into power?"
Nicodemus: "Does it matter? It would be more fodder for the nations to rise up against yours."
Phyllis: "Did those orders just happen to be, you know, prophecy? Reida was still in its arc."
Nicodemus: "Assassinations don't look very good for your side."
Gerald: "It's really hard to wage a war without a chain of command."
Gerald: "Keep in mind we've also got a couple of Fey Titan's subdued which owe us favors, too."
Phyllis: "And skyseers saw it coming."
Ernst: "I mean if we stay in Risur I'm sceptical they can win, but… not sure much is stopping them from converging on us if we try to leave."
Phyllis: "What is the right path, in your eyes? What were you trying to accomplish?"
Nicodemus: "Skyseers saw the end of an age."
Phyllis: "They also saw the end of the sun."
Nicodemus: "And a new one has started."
Nicodemus: "One without Reida overseeing everything."
Nicodemus: "Hence why their visions are now dark."
Chandrasekhar: "…and you have already failed, in every obvious way in which a man can fail, can corrupt his own ideals, can corrupt everything he touches. Why ought you - why ought any one man - hold the reigns of a new era?"
Phyllis: "Correct. However, your failure was already written in the stars while Reida had its influence."
Nicodemus: "Why not? Mr. Bieito's ancestors set the course of the last age."
Phyllis: "I would disagree with how they went about it, as well."
Phyllis: "In both cases, the course of the new ages were set by relatively small groups of people with massive influence."
Phyllis: "But many more people than just you or I inhabit this plane."
Phyllis: "The direction should be set by us all."
Nicodemus: "People are, frankly, a bunch of sheep. They don't know what's best for themselves."
Phyllis: "Not through arcane voting mechanisms involving ghosts."
Gerald: "Aahahahaha."
Gerald: "Ahahah."
Gerald: "Right, I forgot how funny you are when you get going."
Phyllis: "You underestimate the character of men."
Nicodemus: "No, I do not. Many of them leapt at the chance to help me."
Gerald: "Nico, buddy."
Nicodemus: "Yes, Mr. Cooper?"
Phyllis: "Only because of the entrenched power differentials involved."
Gerald: "You should do everyone a favor and just kill yourself. It'd be a huge weight off your shoulders! Wouldn't feel the need to fix a bunchy of shit in insanely stupid ways when no one asked you to. You've got this ridiculous God complex going, even though you're just as falliable a man as anyone else. More so than most, I'd say! You fuck shit up, constantly, all the time, while being a
Gerald: villian straight out of a dime novel. It's crazy that you still think you're the good guy, somehow. "
Garrett: "We're great against impossible odds, Nic. And this a'int even that."
Chandrasekhar gives Gerald an appraising look.
Nicodemus rolls his eyes. "Thank you for dealing with the threat of She Who Writhes, constables. Your Majesty, it will be much easier to conquer Risur now. Please make sure this woman survives." He bows, then leaves the body, and she staggers to her knees.
Gerald: "I ment sincerely!"
Gerald: "Lady, tell him I ment that sincerely."
Ernst sighs before helping the lady up.
Gerald: "Dude needs to take a fucking nap. A long nap."
Phyllis: "Our feud is with him, not you. Don't worry. How do you feel?"
Cosette: "I'm sorry, but what happened? I don't remember anything after the injection… Who are you?"
Gerald: "We're the ones that keep killing your boss."
Phyllis: "I wish you would have heard what he said."
Gerald: "We used to be kind of amicable but I think that ship's sailed now they he's realized he can't win against us."
Gerald: "Anyway once you've wet your whistle we've got some questions for you."
Cosette: "Alright…"

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License