Toe 38

[F2036] After a few days of camping out inside of that strange void tunnel construct and then venturing further up the tower, you finally arrive at the next town. The group splits up to go sell things, resupply, visit and enchanter, find the inn and the like… but Harino, of course, will want to check out the bullitent board and see if there's any jobs in the area.
Harino can't help wagging her tail as she wanders about the town looking for the job board, it's certainly nice to finally be back in civilization again after all of that.
PseudoGM: The phone booth is a bit of a ways into town, but it's not too hard to find. When you arrive there's actually a few other people inside; two of them are checking out the various posting, while a third, wearing a sling to support one arm and sporting a black eye, is speaking with the attendent who's scrippling away at a forum with brows furrowed.
Harino looks to see if there's a free attendant where she can mention the whole void thing swallowing the computers incident that she's so glad to leave behind.
PseudoGM: It's just the one, but it doesn't take too long for the person at the desk to finish relaying their story - something about a bunch of Familiars harassing people with a large combat robot - before they take off. The attendent rubs at their face after filing the paper work and looking over at Harino. "Well, at least this should be a new problem."
PseudoGM: "I've been tryin'!!" One of the people checking out the bullitine boards shouts. "They run off when they see me coming." "Yeah, yeah. Learn to run faster then." "My armor's heavy!" A sigh from the attendent.
Harino giggles a little, shaking her head. "Ah, Floor 2031 had a job for checking out two malfunctioning computers? We kind of found a void spot had swallowed them and sealed it up…"
PseudoGM: "Oh. Huh. Well, that's not good. Is it still there or…"
Harino: "Uh, my friends sealed it up so it shouldn't cause any further troubles? But you might want to get some experts to fully close the thing, maybe."
PseudoGM: "Oh, whew. That's good." They quickly fill out another form, then take Harino's credit stick and add 25C to it. "Sucks about the computers, but that's helpful at least."
Harino nods, thanking her for the payment. "Can't do much about that, yeah… Is there any jobs I should know about on the way up to the next town?"
PseudoGM: "You're going even further up? Kind of unusual for someone to travel from multiple cities on foot… though I guess now that I get a better look at you, you're unusually armed, too."
PseudoGM: "Naw, nothin' between here and the next floor, we generally take care of it all pretty fast." One of the two people examining the bullitine board says.
PseudoGM: "Too bad you chumps can't do anything about the problem IN town!" "Ah come on, we've been trying…"
Harino: "Eh? There's a problem in town?"
PseudoGM: "Right. So. We've got a couple of Familiars in town, right? They're kind of annoying most of the time, but not really *trouble* -"
PseudoGM: "Except they got bored a while back and started trying to build a combat robot from whatever scraps they would find. Which is kind of whatever, if they got it up and running that's still useful for the town."
PseudoGM: "The problem is that they're now in the testing and debugging phase. So they've been running around town and harassing anyone and everyone that looks like they might know a little bit about fighting, and making their robot duel them. Often without actually *asking* them first."
PseudoGM: "We would have taken care of it ourselves," One of the - you assume guards - starts, "But they already know how strong we are, and think we'll just turn it to scrap before it can get probably tuned. So they take off at the first sign of us."
Harino: "Familiars causing trouble, go figure… So a well-armed but unknown traveller would be a very tempting target for them?"
PseudoGM: The other guards nods. "Yeah, more than likely."
Harino limbers her sword arm whil grinning just a little, her ears perked up. "Where do they usually harass people at, and do you want it actually tested or just broken?"
PseudoGM: The Attendent sighs. "Honestly, with as many report about this blasted thing as I've been getting… I don't care either way, as long as they stop. Judging from the last person that ran into them, though… they should be near the park area near the center of town.
Harino: "Okay, I'll see what I can do about them, then!"
Harino bows politely before heading off in to that area after getting her bearings.
PseudoGM: "Thanks, you're a life safer." "Good luck!"
PseudoGM: The town's actually pretty big, but it's not too hard to find your way around. Within a couple of minutes you locate the park in question - moderately wide and open, minimal trees, some benches, and some playground equipment. There's probably usually a bunch of kids around, but the only people you see in the area are a couple of familiars, that are rolling around and talking loudly amongst themselves as they diagnose a human sized robot, equipped with a sword, wand and cape.
Harino can see why kids might not want to approach that, well after it's already caused a bunch of trouble anyway. She knows she'd have investigated when she was younger herself… actually in that respect she hasn't really changed, has she?
Harino: "What's that you've got there?"
PseudoGM: "?!" "Oh, hello!" "This is the ULTRA OMEGA DEFENDER v0.4!"
Harino: "Isn't that kind of a fancy name for something that's not even at version one?"
PseudoGM: "It's the ultimate, end all be all of modern defense systems!"
PseudoGM: "Yeah!"
PseudoGM: "What would you know about combottants, anyway?!"
PseudoGM: "Hehe. combottants."
PseudoGM: "That's a good one."
PseudoGM: "Anyway this baby'll be top of the line as soon as we're done tuning it up!"
Harino: "Oh? Doesn't look to impressive, and I've fought a lot of robots in the tower."
PseudoGM: "!!"
PseudoGM: "Should wouldn't -"
PseudoGM: "She DID!"
PseudoGM: "I'll have you know, we're currently running a twenty to one win/loss ratio!"
PseudoGM: "No WAY this isn't the best there's ever been!"
PseudoGM: "What if we test it on HER?"
PseudoGM: "Ohhhh, that's a good idea!"
PseudoGM: They frantically begin pulling out cables that had been attached to it, and booting the robot up.
Harino raises an eyebrow before drawing one of her katanas.
Harino: "Well, if you insist."
PseudoGM: "Haha, lets see if you're still so high and mighty after THIS!"
PseudoGM: "Yeah, hahah!"
PseudoGM: "Hahaha!!!"
PseudoGM: It takes about a minute until it's ready to go, and the familiars peel out to a reasonably safe distance a couple of yards away.
PseudoGM: "Now go, my ULTRA OMEGA DEFENDER!"
[OOC] Harino: Can I use Speed to Quicken 1 both of my inits, or do I have to use it on a single one?
[OOC] PseudoGM: That's The Power Of The Driftin, you can have init advantage. :(
[Round 1]! Duel Engaged!
Harino waits until the familiars are clear before she rushes forward, trying to delay the thing! [Formation Breaker]
Harino rolled 1d100 and got 89 ( Total: 89 ) for 80/10
[OOC] Harino: -1 LP…
Harino rolled 1d10+11+10 and got 5 ( Total: 26.0 ) for And Slow 1
PseudoGM: It nearly deflects the blow from the katana - but little does it know you have *two*!
[OOC] PseudoGM: 26]!
PseudoGM: "?! SO quick!"
PseudoGM: "Oh nooo, maybe this was a mistake!"
PseudoGM: "Who would have expected someone on par with those chuckleheads to randomly show up!!"
[OOC] Harino: Slowing the main body, obviously
PseudoGM: you fool, now it's Back To Back turns
PseudoGM: Harino!
Harino follows that up by taking a glance at it's systems while it's reeling [Overdrive Read] before striking at a joint! [Precision Strike, C-Launch]
Harino rolled 1d100 and got 20 ( Total: 20 ) for 80/10
[OOC] Harino: -1 LP to crit
Harino rolled 2d10+18 and got 2, 4 ( Total: 24.0 ) for +10 crit against it for the rest of battle
PseudoGM: When its OD charges up… it's going to give a rather rude and unexpect kick for supreme damage!
[OOC] PseudoGM: 24]!
[OOC] Harino: But now I can worry about setting up my own combos without it eating my momentum in the middle
PseudoGM: "Grrr! Get her, ULTRA OMEGA DEFENDER!"
PseudoGM: "YAAAA!"
[OOC] Harino: It's kind of a double-edged sword, probably
PseudoGM: The bot regains its balance after the blows, then moves in with a [Lunge] from its sword!
PseudoGM rolled d100 and got 77 ( Total: 77 ) for 80
Harino cocks her head, batting it away. [-1 LP]
PseudoGM: "!?"
PseudoGM: "OH NOOOO!"
Harino: "When I said I'd fought a lot of robots, I wasn't just boasting!"
PseudoGM: It wobbles back a step, then moved in for another [Lunge]!
PseudoGM rolled d100 and got 23 ( Total: 23 ) for 80
PseudoGM: And seizes upon the [C Rush] momentum to really drive it in!
PseudoGM rolled d8+20 and got 6 ( Total: 26 )
PseudoGM: Dealing 26 physical damage!
PseudoGM: And that's the end of round one!
Harino mostly blocks that… and shines the light of her shield in it's face! [-15, long shock]
[Round 2]
PseudoGM: "What!!!!"
PseudoGM: "She's cheating somehow, I know it!!"
PseudoGM: "My precious combot…!"
Harino concentrates [Lightning in a Bottle] before slashing it with a flourish! [Rally Strike, C-Pin]
Harino rolled 1d100 and got 52 ( Total: 52 ) for 80/20
Harino rolled 1d10+10 and got 5 ( Total: 15.0 ) for +5 Drive for Harino
[OOC] PseudoGM: 15]!
Harino then follows up by slamming her blade into it! [Whallop, C-Pin]
Harino rolled 1d100 and got 8 ( Total: 8 ) for 70/20
Harino rolled 3d10+22 and got 8, 2, 2 ( Total: 34.0 )
PseudoGM: "GOOD GRAVY!"
[OOC] Harino: Yes I'm eating the C-Pin without needing it >_>
PseudoGM: "I… I can't watch….!"
[OOC] PseudoGM: 32]!
PseudoGM: "Put some ground between her, you fool!!"
PseudoGM: It moves in for another [Lunge] -
PseudoGM rolled d100 and got 40 ( Total: 40 ) for 80
PseudoGM: Eating the [C Rush] in the process.
PseudoGM rolled d8+20 and got 2 ( Total: 22 )
PseudoGM: To deal 22 physical damage.
PseudoGM: It then leaps backwards, sizing Harino up. [Back Off] [Bubble(20), +2MP, +3LP, +4 Drive] [C Pin - Cleanse Shock]
PseudoGM: And that's the end of round two!
[Round 3] The Duel Bot has a bubble(20)!
Harino smirks as she sheaths her blade [Guard Breaker] before slamming her blade into it! [Strike Down, C-Launch]
Harino rolled 1d100 and got 56 ( Total: 56 ) for 80/20
Harino rolled 1d10+14 and got 7 ( Total: 21.0 ) for Supreme damage
Harino follows up with another fierce blow! [Full Attack -> Formation Breaker, C-Recovery]
Harino rolled 1d100 and got 19 ( Total: 19 ) for 80/20
Harino rolled 3d10+18 and got 10, 8, 4 ( Total: 40.0 )
[OOC] Harino: …and Another +6 for the C-Recovery
[OOC] Harino: oh and -2 Drive from Strike Down, right
[OOC] PseudoGM: 21] [46]!
PseudoGM: "Wh…"
PseudoGM: "What?!"
PseudoGM: "IMPOSSIBLE!"
PseudoGM: The Familiars flails their arms in the air in a blind panic as the robots arms go flying off in seperate directions, before slamming into the ground and sparking violently.
[OOC] PseudoGM: KO]!
Harino grins as she sheathes her katana, not even needing to draw the second one out. "And that's that."
PseudoGM: "A cheat!" "Must have cheated somehow!" "There's no WAY… how?!"
Harino: "I've fought my way through over 30 floors (admittedly not alone), don't think this is enough to faze me."
PseudoGM: "Grr!" "We'll remember this, driftin scum!!" "Actually this might be useful data, it's not like the black box got destroyed."
PseudoGM: There's a bit more flailing from them as they go to retrieve the arms, and check out extensive the damage was.
Harino: "You know, you'd probably have less trouble with the guards if you got volunteers instead of harassing people."
PseudoGM: And a lot more shouting. They pretty much never shut up, really…
PseudoGM: "What?"
PseudoGM: "We definitely let them know we were running a test!!!"
PseudoGM: "Yeah!"
PseudoGM: "What more do they need other than 'HEY INCOMING COMBAT TEST THINK FAST!'????"
Harino: "Uh, I was thinking more of putting up a sign-up sheet or something and letting people come to you, instead of ambushing them. That makes you almost like the bandits you're trying to protect against, don't you think?"
PseudoGM: "…"
PseudoGM: "…"
PseudoGM: "Huh."
PseudoGM: "…She's got a point."
PseudoGM: "Oh nooo…!"
PseudoGM: "Where did it all go wrong?!"
PseudoGM: "I guess with a sign up sheet we could better control the difficulty curve too…"
PseudoGM: "Perhaps is it we who are the fools!!"
Harino: "Just a little too much enthusiasm, not enough common sense, I think? Why don't we go down to the info board and you guys can post something? Paying people to test it will get even more volunteers, I'm sure."
PseudoGM: "I suppose so…" One of the familiars breaks off from the other and trails after Harino, back to the phone booth.
Harino waves to the attendant once they arrive, ears perked up and her tail wagging in her victory.
Harino: "I think I talked them into trying to get actual volunteers instead of causing trouble."
PseudoGM: "You're a Goddess, ma'am." "Hey, good work!" The guards give you a thumbs up. "Pretty quick too."
PseudoGM: "Let me make sure you are handsomly rewarded before dealing with that bucket of useless scrap." "That racist!" "With this dumbass." "Much better - wait hey! Rude!" The Attendent rolls their eyes before taking Harino's credit stick and adding another 100G to it.
Harino: "You're welcome, and thank you kindly!"
PseudoGM: And with a job well done and a town's trouble shooting group quite happy with the results, Harino's free to explore the rest of the town worry free and with a good chunk of change for the stores!

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License