ch2-3

Peter|GM: LATER, AT THE INN AT THE FISHING VILLAGE OF SHARAY,
Peter|GM: You return with the sun low in the sky and the sizzle of cooking oil loud over the inn's hearthpit.
Peter|GM: Patience looks up from her cooking - smoked fish wrapped in leaves, little cakes of mashed plantain and clam meat -
Folis just grins and gestures to the Buccaneer.
Le Masked Buccaneer: "Predictably, they did not surrender. Necessarily, they are no more."
Peter|GM: "Strange, strange. In a coincidental matter, it just so happens that there's a few open seats and beds for dinner and lodging tonight."
Folis: "Providence!"
Le Masked Buccaneer: "Few things could be so gracious! Except, of course, for our host."
Peter|GM: "Y'flatter me." She gestures to mats beside the fire, starts to plate meals on wooden dishes.
Folis gratefully takes a seat, letting out a whoosh of breath.
Alianor: "Well, that's certainly apprecited."
Le Masked Buccaneer: "Little flattery in honesty."
Le Masked Buccaneer disappears into privacy for a moment, returning with his armor traded out for a comfortable looking set of casual clothes in blues and greens…except for his helmet and mask.
Peter|GM: "Gonna eat through that?" Patience asks.
Le Masked Buccaneer: "You know, that's never been a problem?"
Folis gives the Bucc a bemused look. "So if you take them off, does your head fall off?"
Folis: "Are you a dullahan?"
Le Masked Buccaneer: "What? No."
Le Masked Buccaneer: "Someone just pointed out that it ruins the mystique."
Alianor: "Considering how he took his mask off at least a couple times in the last few days, I'd think not."
Folis narrows her eyes at him in a mock-serious manner. "Hmmmm."
Peter|GM: "Hmmm," Patience says, as she eats.
Peter|GM: The food's well-smoked, and the clamcake delicately peppered.
Folis ceases her banter just so she can start eating. Her ears twitch, and her tail bats this way and that. It's good, but after their marooning and exciting adventures afterward, it's somehow even better.
Alianor is certainly glad to eat some real food after the last several days.
Le Masked Buccaneer somehow eats, or at least disappears his food during the meal.
Echo quite enjoys the meal. The taste is both familiar and new at the same time.
Peter|GM: The beds are up a ladder. Softer than camping. A welcome rest.
[OOC] Peter|GM: You rest fully and heartily, recovering full HP, MP and LP.
Peter|GM: Morning comes.
Folis wakes, grumbles, and rolls around for a bit. If she were a lesser woman she'd just want to stay right here. But adventure calls, and all that nonsense.
Folis: "Urghghr. Okay, I'm up."
Folis starts knocking gently upon bed-frames to start waking the others. "Hey. Time t'figure out what we're doin' next."
Le Masked Buccaneer sits up, and straightens his mask. "I am open to suggestions for the immediate future."
Alianor nods from where she's already up, doing some fine-tuning on Priscilla.
Folis: "You got a ship, masky?"
Folis: "I think I remember hearin' something about that or I could just be goin' daft."
Peter|GM: Breakfast: A sweet, thick vegetable soup.
Le Masked Buccaneer: "Indeed! She is in need of a thousand golds' worth of repair and refit, sadly. And even if that were raised…we would have to get back there."
Folis: "There?"
Folis: "Y'mean Leviathan?"
Le Masked Buccaneer: "Indeed."
Folis: "Right, so."
Folis: "First thing we need to do is to find someplace to take us back there. Second thing is to find the dosh for it."
Folis: "Seein' as I'm a sort of castabout I've not earthly idea what the going rates are."
Echo: "We can continue through the Towers, it may provide us with a path back to the mainland.
Folis: "We have enough collateral for nearly your costs, I think."
Peter|GM: Patience nods to Echo. "You're pretty much on the mainland, really."
Folis: "Hmm…"
Echo thinks a bit. "Close to Ecafa, then?"
Peter|GM: "We're on the Vagabond Road - right, not too far off from Ecafa."
Peter|GM: "Which is in a state, from what I hear."
Folis: "Oh."
Echo: "Still, we may be able to find a ship that can take us to Leviathan from there."
Peter|GM: "You're going to Leviathan? Should call Capan over."
Folis: "Well, I was gonna ask about friendly ports."
Alianor: "Umm… If we can reach Ecafa, I'm not sure if it's business we should be sticking our noses into or not, but if we can help those nobles that are being hunted down, might they be able to help pay somewhat for those repairs?"
Folis: "Though we could also accept 'friendly enough'."
Peter|GM: A pained ox smile. "Friendly ports are hard to find, my friend."
Folis laughs. "Well, I've few troubles left in this world anymore, so I don't mind sticking my nose into new ones."
Le Masked Buccaneer: "Hmm. Alianor, you may be onto something! …Also, I am predisposed to sticking my well-armored snout into such situations."
Peter|GM: Patience strolls out the door to the inn and hollers out - "CAPAN! I know you well haven't eaten, come over here and get some -"
Peter|GM: Capan is there before she finishes speaking, helping himself to a bowl of soup.
Folis: "That's remarkable."
Peter|GM: He slurps it, heartily.
Peter|GM: Patience takes a moment - "They're heading to Leviathan."
Folis briefly raises her bowl in appeciation of a good appetite.
Peter|GM: Capan puts on a cool, serious face. He purses his lip. His demeanor is that of a grizzled expert squinting into the sun.
Peter|GM: "If you could hustle yourself passage from Ecafa, that would do it. But you'd be sailing across an Imperial picket."
Peter|GM: "If you were made of real tough stuff, you could cut north, find a pass across Mt. Sho, get to Ivolly. It's the hot season, so it's a good time for it."
Folis: "Innnnnnnnnnteresting."
Peter|GM: "No imperials in that sea."
Peter|GM: "Vagabond Road goes a ways southwest - everyone thinks it's an Ecafa to Ivique road, but the far end used to be a lost city even further."
Peter|GM: "That'll get you partway, but it's into dense jungle. It's the direct route, though."
Peter|GM: Patience sighs. "They'd die of fever."
Peter|GM: Capan looks hurt. "I was gonna warn em before you cut me off!"
Folis: "Well that would complicate things."
Le Masked Buccaneer: "I cannot slay a disease with my sword."
Le Masked Buccaneer: "Imperials, though."
Folis: "You theoretically could if you were small enough."
Le Masked Buccaneer: "An intriguing theory!"
Alianor: "I think I'd rather risk Imperials instead of a disease, myself. Though the road to Ivolly might work, too."
Folis: "I'm just thinking of the size of that fleet, to… whatever force we align ourselves with."
Folis: "Also there's not a lot of space to flee to if we get in trouble on the high seas."
Echo: "I don't know if we could get our goods though the picket…"
Folis: "Or, you know, me."
Folis: "The Knight has a personal beef with me, remember?"
Echo: "You're also supposed to be dead now, like the rest of us."
Folis: "… True."
Folis: "I had almost forgotten that. It sucks being dead, I don't recommend it."
Folis: "So, uh…"
Folis: "What're we doin', folks?"
Folis: "I mean, we could just poke our noses into Ecafa and figure more out later."
Alianor: "True, there's likely nothing stopping us from going north after helping those nobles instead of risking an Imperial picket."
Folis: "Correct."
Folis: "And we don't have a whole lot more information now, just options."
Folis: "Would make sense to get to another town and see which way the winds are blowin', right?"
Alianor: "Exactly. Do either of you have a problem with us going to Ecafa first, at least?"
Echo: "It sounds easier to get to Ecafa, at least."
Folis: "And if we have spare funds we could improve our equipment."
Echo: "We can probably sell our treasures there, too."
Peter|GM: Capan shrugs. "It's a straight voyage along the highway."
Le Masked Buccaneer: "Well! I am always willing to return home, though I suspect we will again be embroiled by Imperials that way as well."
Folis: "Then we'll just deal with them the same way we did before."
Folis very gently pats the incendiary device she had fastened to her belt.
Le Masked Buccaneer: "Very well!"
Alianor: "I'm not pleased to have to kill people, even Imperials, but I won't let them stop us."
Peter|GM: Patience busies herself repacking your things. She nods to Capan. "Go pick your spear back up and see them to your post, at least."
Peter|GM: Capan sets his things aside and does, in fact, pick his spear up. He stands strong just outside the inn: the watchman of Sharay.
Folis finishes off her food, stands. Streeeeeetches, cracks her knuckles.
Folis: "Alright… Think I'm good."
Echo: "Thank you for the hospitality."
Peter|GM: Patience hands Echo his packs, neatly squared away. "You're quite welcome."
Le Masked Buccaneer: "Be well, dear host!"
Peter|GM: The sun is low in the sky as you head out - fishers wake early.
Peter|GM: The clouds to the east are rippling and dark, heavy and flat like a gruesome bruise.
Peter|GM: The road out of the village is overgrown and pitted, many of the huge flagstones shattered and grown in with weeds and mud puddles that have long grown to dirt.
Peter|GM: The Vagabond Road - this section isn't well maintained.
Alianor looks out at the morning sky, then frowns at the road. "Well, at least it's a lot drier than yesterday's trip was…"
Folis: "Hey, I'll take it."
Echo: "Could be wosre." He starts heading in the direction of Ecafa. "
Folis trails along, humming to herself.
Peter|GM: When the sun rises, the heat is humid and stifling. You see it in the distance first, a landmark that takes the crossing of two hills to even approach: A house built out on an outcropping, in the Ecafan noble style, with the once-ivy-covered outer wall, and the tall inner manor.
Peter|GM: As you get closer, you realize: It's been burned down, a scorched husk, its balconies and roofs collapsed.
Le Masked Buccaneer: "Ahhhh…"
Le Masked Buccaneer: "I knew but I did not /know/."
Folis: "The hell?"
Folis keeps approaching the ruined structure. Anyone around it?
Peter|GM: A little trail forks away from the highway to head down to the estate. Its charred wood is cold now.
Folis: "Hey, should we check this place out?"
Peter|GM: The front gates were painted with murals - (they would remind you, perhaps, of the designs of stained glass) -
Folis: "I kinda wanna poke around but it could just be a waste of time."
Peter|GM: much of this has flaked off in the fire.
Le Masked Buccaneer: "I suspect we will just find a murdered family and what was of too little material worth to be stolen."
Folis turns to the others.
Echo shrugs.
Alianor: "I think I'd rather investigate than keeping worrying about it once we're in the city."
Folis: "Yeah, screw it. Any little bit would help, and it might be of sentimental value to… someone."
Folis: "Let's go in."
Folis starts heading toward the ruin.
Peter|GM: Through the gates.
Peter|GM: Every proper mansion in Ecafa has a garden - a shelter from the noise of the city, where vines are kept, as well as a few plots of vegetables and herbs for the servants.
Peter|GM: Collapses in the walls have destroyed what was once a little walkway around. Fine iron furniture surrounding a little table has been sundered and smashed, ripped apart.
Le Masked Buccaneer follows, moving and looking around slowly
Peter|GM: What didn't burn here was destroyed.
Folis: "Man, someone had a real bad grudge."
Peter|GM: One could pick their way into the front through the fallen beams.
Peter|GM: The cellar door is still locked. Its shutter is black iron.
Le Masked Buccaneer shall pick that way.
Folis considers the lock. Might it be pickable?
Peter|GM: Folis: Certainly.
Peter|GM: Santiago: Step carefully and roll agility. [-To attract no attention, -To not collapse the floor.]
Folis rummages through some pouches for some well-worn tools, and starts working at the lock, humming mostly to herself as she does so.
Folis rolled 4d6 and got 6, 6, 3, 3 ( Total: 18 ) for Mechanisms 1, Thief
Peter|GM: Folis: The lock springs open. The shutter hinges creak when you open them. The smell of stale, smoky air, burnt wine.
Folis presses a cloth over her mouth and starts padding inside, peering around.
Le Masked Buccaneer rolled 4d6 and got 1, 4, 4, 1 ( Total: 10 )
Le Masked Buccaneer: (1 LP to avoid floor collapsing)
Peter|GM: As Folis sneaks lower, she catches a strange, flickering orange light course upwards, outlining the shape of some burnt wreckage, blooming up through the floor above.
Peter|GM: And there, a tongue of orange light burns into two-legged form, catching Santiago by the hand, steadying him.
Peter|GM: It hurts.
Peter|GM: "Careful," they say.
Peter|GM: "You might fall."
Peter|GM: Ah: A flame devil.
Folis curses inwardly, but waits for now, her ears perked.
Le Masked Buccaneer: "Argh-thank you."
Peter|GM: A smile tinged with green and blue fangs in a vast and unsteady mouth. The devil does not hold their hand for long, dancing, instead, from fallen beam to beam.
Peter|GM: "Are you looking for treasure? I do know where the treasure here is."
Folis keeps looking around while the flame devil is distracted by Santiago.
Peter|GM: Folis: Casks of wine smashed open and burnt fill the cellar. Rats have already gotten into what remains of the grain. But…
[OOC] Peter|GM: There's something to find. Roll Insight - more successes, find it faster.
Le Masked Buccaneer: "We were looking for the living. Failing that…what does remain?"
Peter|GM: The flame devil bites a finger coquettishly, turning aside. "In the basement, there's a vault."
Folis rolled 3d6 and got 6, 3, 4 ( Total: 13 ) for Insight 0, Thief
Peter|GM: "I desire, hmm, half of what's there, and then I'll happily burn my life out and leave the rest to you."
[OOC] Folis: -1 LP for a second success.
Peter|GM: Hunting through the dark… there's a door hidden at the end of a false keg, now smashed open. If you turn the wheel, then…
Folis peers around furtively before working the wheel.
[OOC] Peter|GM: Strength, similarly.
Folis rolled 4d6 and got 1, 4, 5, 3 ( Total: 13 ) for Strength 1, Thief
[OOC] Folis: -1 LP for +1 success
Peter|GM: Folis creeps inside the vault while Santiago is speaking with the devil:
Peter|GM: Inside, a young woman, one of the house servants, cowering. And a case of coins, a few paintings, a sword.
Le Masked Buccaneer: "Any why should I negotiate with such a fiery, consuming thing?"
Peter|GM: "If I burn your heart, you won't reincarnate!" They laugh. "And I know where the vault is. I've licked every inch of this place trying to get in."
Folis makes a finger-to-lips motion toward the servant. She straps the sword to her own belt, and starts testing the heft of the case of coins.
Peter|GM: Probably… probably 200G…?
[OOC] Folis: More for carrying weight than amount.
[OOC] Peter|GM: It'll be fine. Give it a heave!
Peter|GM: The servant does not move to keep silent. She's about to scream.
Le Masked Buccaneer sighs. "Before I negotiate, do you know of the family that once lived here?"
Folis very slowly hefts up the box, looks at the servant, then ferverently shakes her head, making motions toward the exit. She lets out a low whisper. "We're getting out of here. C'mon."
Peter|GM: That's - enough to steady her. She moves to creep alongside Folis, clutching onto her.
Folis: "(… Thank you. This way.)"
Peter|GM: The devil touches a finger to Santiago's mask. It doesn't burn. "I don't."
Peter|GM: "Some burned. Some didn't."
Folis starts making her way back out to the open.
Peter|GM: "I can send your regards to the Hell-of-Death-By-Fire if you wish."
Le Masked Buccaneer sighs deeply
Le Masked Buccaneer: "Why did I even try to speak to you?"
Le Masked Buccaneer: "I have been so attentive to greater evils, I almost ignored the lesser."
Le Masked Buccaneer: "I shall drive you from this place myself, you hateful parody of life."
Peter|GM: The devil steps back, and draws forth her spear, breaking off a tine of it and discarding it - and another, and tossing it - where, with a howl from the hell-of-fire, it stretches and shapes itself into a cleaver-nosed dog each.
Peter|GM: (Of brilliant, flickering orange light.)
Peter|GM: IT'S A FIGHT!
Peter|GM: Santiago has the initiative! Folis will be delayed handling other things!
Peter|GM: Santiago and Alianor gain drive.
Alianor hastens to unsling Priscilla, shaking her head. "What is a… devil even doing here?"
Peter|GM: Round One - Showtime!
Peter|GM: Santiago!
Le Masked Buccaneer: "Being removed, my dear, being removed."
Echo: "I can't guess if it's here because the house was burned down, or if the house burned down because of it…"
Peter|GM: The devil spits at Santiago, but it hisses to steam just from their mouth.
Le Masked Buccaneer: "Now, I can make a guess, but let's be /sure/…" Santiago ducks low and strikes towards the devil, green sword gleaming as he strikes. His armor glows in sympathy as he lands a searching blow.
Le Masked Buccaneer: (Interrogate!)
Peter|GM: Fears Water!
Le Masked Buccaneer rolled 1d100 and got 82 ( Total: 82 ) for cos 80 now sug don't do me wrong
Le Masked Buccaneer: (»>SPENDING THAT LP««)
Le Masked Buccaneer rolled 1d6+8 and got 2 ( Total: 10.0 )
Peter|GM: Slices for 10!
Le Masked Buccaneer: A raincloud on his armor glows. "Water! As expected."
Le Masked Buccaneer: "Not even a fresh fiend."
Peter|GM: The second Cinder-Dog breathes a plume of phantasmal fire across Santiago - and Echo, as he arrives! [This hits the front row, but Folis isn't quite on scene yet.]
Peter|GM rolled 1d100 and got 7 ( Total: 7 ) for 100/25
Peter|GM: The first bites into Santiago!
Peter|GM rolled 1d100 and got 63 ( Total: 63 ) for C90
Peter|GM rolled d8+9 and got 4 ( Total: 13.0 )
Peter|GM: Santiago and Echo take 13 fire damage!
Peter|GM rolled d10+8 and got 4 ( Total: 12.0 )
Peter|GM: Santiago takes 12 physical damage!
Echo blocks most of that fire. [-10 shield]
Peter|GM: Echo!
Echo calls up an earth spirit to protect Santiago. [Q: Aegis, Bubble (10)]
Echo smashes his club into the Flame-Keeper! [Iron Driver]
Echo rolled 1d100 and got 98 ( Total: 98 )
[OOC] Echo: -2 LP
Echo rolled d6+8 and got 4 ( Total: 12.0 ) for Bubble (10) Self
Peter|GM: Smashes true for 12!
Peter|GM: Alianor!
Alianor takes aim at the devil [Lock On] before unloading a burst at it! [Semi-Auto]
Alianor rolled 1d100 and got 54 ( Total: 54 ) for 80/30
[OOC] Alianor: -2 LP to crit with Lock On
Alianor rolled 3d8+14 and got 7, 5, 1 ( Total: 27.0 )
Peter|GM: Blazes for 27!
Peter|GM: The Flame-Keeper spins her spear, dipping it into one of her dogs [C-Fire] to catch the tip alight, and then jabs it into Santiago!
Peter|GM rolled 1d100 and got 47 ( Total: 47 ) for C80
Peter|GM rolled 1d10+10 and got 1 ( Total: 11.0 )
Peter|GM: Striking for 11 physical damage and Long Burning!
Peter|GM: Folis: There's a fight breaking out on the first floor of the manor!
Peter|GM: You send the servant to safety and rush in, seeing your party tangling with a spear-toting flame devil, flanked by two phantom-fire-dogs!
Folis hurries out of the cellar, servant in tow. Once back on ground level, she sets the case down with a noisy clatter, then unhooks her staff and hands it over to the servant. "Here! Take this, keep some distance from us, and if anyone you don't know other'n us approaches you, yell out and smash 'em! I'm gonna keep you safe, I promise!"
Folis: She then draws the earlier-taken sword, and lets out a roar as she charges into battle, firing forth a sphere of bladed ice that pulls in latent manna - [Frozen Rose, C-Water]
Folis rolled 1d100 and got 19 ( Total: 19 ) for 100/25 toward the Flame-Keeper
Folis rolled 1d8+10+5+3+12 and got 2 ( Total: 32.0 ) for weakness, burst, combo bonus + 8
Peter|GM: She clutches the staff, a little lost for words but -
Peter|GM: And then -
Peter|GM: Bursts for 32!
Peter|GM: Santiago!
Peter|GM: Round Two - Showtime!
Folis: "Looks like I'm comin' into my element, now!" Mist starts swirling about here in an eerie fashion. [Frozen Rose enters Witch Mode.]
Le Masked Buccaneer steps towards the Devil, while burning. "Do you even understand the evil you do?" His sword and armor glow again, as he strikes, tiny watery clouds following in his wake. "I suppose it doesn't matter."
Le Masked Buccaneer: (Interrogate again!)
Le Masked Buccaneer rolled 1d100 and got 93 ( Total: 93 ) for cos 80
Le Masked Buccaneer: (>:| SUGAR)
Le Masked Buccaneer: (two LP ebcause ffff)
Le Masked Buccaneer rolled 1d6+8 and got 3 ( Total: 11.0 ) for and all that sweet momentum
Le Masked Buccaneer: (Oh, and is it OK if I trigger my sword's self heal?)
Peter|GM: (Yup!)
Peter|GM: Slices - and her form is severed, and she is banished.
Peter|GM: Masterless, the dogs snap at Echo and Folis.
Peter|GM rolled 2d100 and got 93, 32 ( Total: 125 ) for C90
Peter|GM rolled d8+8 and got 6 ( Total: 14.0 )
Peter|GM: Biting Folis for 14 physical damage!
Folis snarls right back, taking the hit like a champ.
Peter|GM: Echo!
Echo swings at Cinder-Dog A! [Attack]
Echo rolled d6+8 and got 4 ( Total: 12.0 )
Echo rolled 1d100 and got 35 ( Total: 35 )
[OOC] Echo: whoops
Peter|GM: Hits for 12!
Peter|GM: Alianor!
Alianor fiddles with a few switches [Lightning in a Bottle] before lining a shot at Dog A! [Laser Sighted]
Alianor rolled 1d100 and got 32 ( Total: 32 ) for 100/30
[OOC] Alianor: -1 LP to crit
Alianor rolled 2d8+15 and got 6, 1 ( Total: 22.0 )
Peter|GM: 22! Folis!
Folis snaps her fingers, and the mist surrounding her thickens! [Q: Release Geyser] She then makes a downward slashing motion toward Cinder-Dog B, and a ghostly plume of water explodes from beneath it! [Witch Mode: Geyser, C-Water+8]
Folis rolled 1d100 and got 64 ( Total: 64 ) for 100/25
Peter|GM: Blasts upwards - hits the weakness!
Folis rolled 1d10+16+5+4+14 and got 7 ( Total: 46.0 ) for Weakness, release, combo bonus
Peter|GM: 46!
Peter|GM: Round Three - Showtime!
Peter|GM: Santiago!
Le Masked Buccaneer moves to slice at Cinder-Dog B. "And then cleaning up after it…"
Le Masked Buccaneer rolled 1d100 and got 47 ( Total: 47 ) for Regular attack, CoS 80
Le Masked Buccaneer rolled 1d6+8 and got 1 ( Total: 9 )
Peter|GM: Hits for 9!
Peter|GM: The dogs spit fire at the front row!
Peter|GM rolled 2d100 and got 57, 56 ( Total: 113 )
Peter|GM rolled d8+6 and got 7 ( Total: 13.0 )
d8+6: 1 [Total: 7.0 (Min), Avg: 1.00]
Total: 20.0, Avg: 4.00
Peter|GM: Searing Echo, Santiago, and Folis for 13 fire and 7 fire!
Folis: "Hrrrrr!"
Peter|GM: Echo!
Echo swings his club at Cinder-Dog B! [Attack]
Echo rolled 1d100 and got 83 ( Total: 83 )
[OOC] Echo: -1 LP
Echo rolled d6+8 and got 6 ( Total: 14.0 )
Peter|GM: 14! It dissipates!
Peter|GM: Alianor!
Folis: "Let's end this debacle."
Alianor unleashes a large burst at the last dog! [OD: Double Up - Bunker Buster]
Alianor rolled 1d100 and got 34 ( Total: 34 ) for 100/30
[OOC] Alianor: -1 LP to crit
Alianor rolled 2d8+15+6 and got 6, 4 ( Total: 31.0 )
Alianor then works on reloading Priscilla. [Defend]
Peter|GM: 31! The burst slays it utterly.
Peter|GM: THE COAST IS CLEAR. Devils are cast out and the party is victorious. +4 EXP.
Folis waits a few moments, to make sure they don't spring back to life… then she sheathes the sword and immediately starts looking around for the servant. "Miss! MISS! All's clear now!"
Le Masked Buccaneer: "Miss? You found someone alive?!"
Peter|GM: She picks herself up and comes to investigate, peering through the archway, clutching the staff.
Peter|GM: A housemaid. Sooty.
Folis: "It's okay now. The devil's been driven out."
Folis: "My name is Folis. Might I ask you yours?"
Peter|GM: A tired laugh. "It's Melawny, miss. Suppose I should be lucky the looters came quick enough for me."
Folis: "Forget about the loot a moment, it's more important that you're still with the living."
Folis: "Was this your master's sword, Melawny?"
Le Masked Buccaneer: "Could…could you tell us whose home this was?"
Peter|GM: "Not his sporting sword, that's for sure. It's an heirloom. And, well, this was Sir Vincentine Seville's estate. Sea air, you see. Supposed to be good for him, and he liked the seclusion."
Peter|GM: "Suppose it helped his health a day, that's for certain." It is unclear whether that is a laugh or a sob.
Le Masked Buccaneer sighs deeply. "I am so sorry. Imperials or the dogs they've raised up?"
Peter|GM: "Both of em together. There's a Rivorando girl touring with an Imperial entourage, torching any edifice she mislikes."
Folis: "Mrf…"
Folis: "Is it the families, their houses, or both?"
Peter|GM: "Some escaped."
Peter|GM: She returns Folis' staff.
Folis: "Thank you. Erm… would you like the sword back? Or anyone in the family or its employ?"
Peter|GM: She sighs. "Better not."
Peter|GM: "Whoever carries that thing would be marked for death, I fear."
Folis: "Why's that?"
Folis: "Would it be that it carries the same mark that got the house burned down?"
Folis: "Or be it something more sinister?"
Peter|GM: "That's it." She points out the Seville crest on it.
Echo: "The imperials are hunting down House Seville loyalists."
Le Masked Buccaneer: "Ah! Well. We will carry it for the moment, then."
Folis: "Right."
Echo: "Shouldn't make much difference for us."
Folis: "Speaking of, do you have someplace you can go?"
Peter|GM: "Well," She looks around.
Peter|GM: "Truth told, I don't think I do. Could probably find work in Ecafa, but it might well be for an Imperial."
Folis: "…"
Folis: "I, uh…"
Folis sighs heavily.
Peter|GM: She waves her hand. "I know that mask. He got a lot of good people out of the city before it fell, you know."
Peter|GM: "I won't be selling out his friends."
Folis turns to her friends. "… Do you think we'd be able to take her to Leviathan?"
Echo: "That'd be up to her. It might be some time before we find a way to get back there."
Folis turns back to Melawny. "Would you consider coming along with us an option?"
Alianor: "…It wasn't exactly bursting with job opportunities either, though."
Echo: "Too many refugees, it's true."
Peter|GM: She looks between Alianor, Folis, Echo.
Folis lets out a little growl, quickly growing frustrated but desperately trying to contain it.
Peter|GM: "I'd appreciate the escort up to Ecafa, leastly."
Folis: "I… okay."
Echo nods.
Folis: "Do you have anything there or would you be starting new?"
Peter|GM: "It'd be new. But it isn't like it's the first time, that's for sure." A reassuring smile, of sorts.
Peter|GM: "I don't want to know what books my old name might be on, is the thing."
Folis: "I don't know what the rest of them are doing with the coin, but you can have my share, if it'd make things easier for you."
Folis: "I, too, have lost everything before."
Folis: "So… if there's something I can do to make it even the tiniest bit less painful…"
Folis: "Well, I'd offer it."
Peter|GM: "That'd be awfully generous of you," she says. Almost entirely sincerely.
Folis 's expression flickers, a moment. In the back of her mind, she wonders… (( Could the Lying skill be used to suss it out of others, or is it just for yourself? ))
[OOC] Peter|GM: Nah, that'd be Insight.
Folis rolled 2d6 and got 2, 6 ( Total: 8 ) for rollin' anyway
Folis: "… Would anyone else be alright with givin' up on the coin?"
Echo: "I have my tribe to support," he says softly.
Folis scratches the back of her head, her expression awkward. "It's mostly that we're here for the things of ages past, and there's still someone here to carry on their story, no matter how ordinary."
Folis: "I'd be giving up the blade if it wasn't a death-mark for you."
Peter|GM: She shrugs. "I'll take the escort back to Ecafa."
Peter|GM: "Money and life aren't comparable in weight, so they say."
Folis: "… 'm sorry."
Peter|GM: "We should get goin'. Storm's coming in."
Folis: "Ah- yeah."
Alianor: "Look at it this way Folis, she probably wouldn't even have her life if we hadn't investigated."
Folis: "Someone can go back and fetch the painting if they so desired. I left that alone. Should have just gotten you out."
Folis: "Anyway… let's get outta here."
Echo: "Yes."
Folis tries forcing a smile, but with the way her ears are folded back, it's plain it's not working. Still, she starts heading away from the ruined noble's home.
[OOC] Folis: Mechanically, take your share of 200G if you want, but Folis is giving up hers.
Peter|GM: As you hike onwards, other roads join the Vagabond Road - little farming villages and trails from country houses joining the main trade road towards Ecafa, its walls and harbor seen in the distance.
Peter|GM: The road is better maintained here - the huge flat paving stones repaired and filled where time has worn them.
Peter|GM: Past a little wooded stand, down the last road towards Ecafa, the sky bursts -
Peter|GM: A tremendous, sudden curtain of beating, pounding rain, mingled with the stifling humid air -
Peter|GM: And the rising, hot wind.
Folis: "Oh, jeez-!"
Peter|GM: A monsoon - mastbreaking, ship-killing.
Folis: "C'mon, we gotta get somewhere indoors, quick!"
[OOC] Le Masked Buccaneer: Anywhere clear we can take cover?
Echo looks around for somewhere to shelter.
[OOC] Folis: Hmm… Survival?
Peter|GM: Hmm -
Peter|GM: You're close enough to Ecafa that it's probably best to just push on.
Echo: "Let's keep going, we should get to the city before the worst hits."
Le Masked Buccaneer: "Indeed."
Peter|GM: The painted gates of Ecafa -
Peter|GM: In through the inner gate, there are masses teeming, huddling away from the storm,
Peter|GM: as Imperial soldiers inspect, slowly, those coming in for the day's business.
Peter|GM: A MOMENT'S RESPITE, BEFORE FURTHER TRIALS.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License