Ch2 14

Peter|GM: THE ROYAL TREASURY, B2.
Peter|GM: The Devil Nail has been destroyed. The Empire is closing in. The Hellmouth has been sealed, its strange phantasm draining from the foundation of the treasury.
Peter|GM: An ancient library of records. To the north, a staircase upwards - to the east, the way you came. (But there were soldiers arriving from that direction…)
Elbereth was still going to take a quick look in the ancient library for a grimoire. "Did you want to try the stairs to the north, or just fight our way out? I'm unsure where that leads."
MiRA-[CLE]: "Eh, might as well."
MiRA-[CLE]: "Head up I mean."
Lobelia: "Your tastes are… tamer than mine, if you expect to find a good read within treasury ledgers. But there could be a hidden gem, literally or figuratively. Let's check it out."
Kit‘ glances towards the east with a scowl before looking towards the northern staircase "We can only carry on so far though soldiers, so yeah, to the north, we’ll have better chances…"
Kit: "It'sw an old library, there could be anything within these pages for all we know!" Kat nods to his sisters words
Peter|GM: With a cursory search… it doesn't seem like there's any magical grimoires.
Elbereth nods before heading towards the stairs. "We do have pursuers so we had best be off."
Kit‘ and Kat climb up into someone’s pack before the group leaves though the stairway
Lobelia pokes around the archive for any loose cabinets or shelves that could be tipped in the direction of some Imperials, or otherwise, extra passages.
Peter|GM: Lobelia: Oh, you can totally tip over a bookcase in front of the eastern doorway.
Peter|GM: Up the stairs: Ancient coinmills, linked to a long-cold forge. What devils haunted this place have melted away after the sealing of the Hellmouth, leaving faint stains of infernal red-and-black ichor.
Peter|GM: There's a doorway to the south, but it's been sealed up with mortar and bricks. A draft flows through it.
Elbereth gestures to the sealed up exit. "Lady Wintervine, if you may?"
[OOC] Lobelia: my brain parsed that as "records be north of here" but, actually, that sounds good
Elbereth: "I am hoping that draft means we can get outside here."
Kit‘ rubs her chin as she studies the sealed off door "If Ms. Wintervine can’t do it, we may be able to blast it open with Magic"
Lobelia leans her shoulder against a bookshelf on the eastern wall, and after waving the others to go ahead and promising to follow once she creates an obstruction, Lobelia shoves the case right into that entryway!
[OOC] Lobelia: strength roll, da ze?
[OOC] Peter|GM: Nah, it just tips!
Peter|GM: The bookcase slams over with a loud -thunk-, barring the path. That'll slow em down!
Lobelia hustles up the stairs! She stops to catch her breath and wipe off some sweat, checking out the doorway. "You need this wall busted down?" She looks directly at Elbereth, with a bit of a grin. "Look, I bet you've read those books too- do I look like some kind of blue-haired musclehead to you?"
MiRA-[CLE]: "Kinda yeah."
Elbereth smirks slightly. "Lady Wintervine, are you insinuating that you want to be called by a title such as the 'Wall Crusher'?"
Peter|GM: Smash it open with Strength!
Kit: "Not many can claim to single handedly knocked down a stone wall"
Lobelia laughs! "We'll just have to see if I earn that name or not!" She takes a deep breath, steps back, then… with a running start… charges!
Lobelia rolled 4d6 and got 5, 1, 5, 1 ( Total: 12 )
Peter|GM: WHAM! The mortaring busts open, in a cluster of bricks, opening up onto the ventilation chamber from before.
Peter|GM: East leads back down onto the ancient crypt section of the vault, west leads outwards - south passage is barred - and there's vents running all the way up to the top of the Treasury, where a roof-duct catches the wind.
A knotted rope falls down, hanging, from the roof-duct.
Elbereth glances up before grabbing the rope with a nod. "Master Hayreddin, how's the outside looking?" She begins to climb.
MiRA-[CLE] glances up with a squint.
Kit: "Wow, what timing"
Hayreddin peeks over into the duct and gives a single-armed wave.
Hayreddin: "Fiercer than a hornet's nest on fire, but without the fire. Though we may change that."
Lobelia dusts the bits of rubble and leftover wall off her armor, then shakes her right hand and wrist out. "Ow. I'll… use my shoulder next time." Then, noticing the rope, she waves back and climbs up!
Hayreddin: "There seems to have been a delay on your end! Is the task accomplished?"
Kit: "Accomplished, and more"
Elbereth: "I broke the Devil's Nail a while ago, but unfortunately hellhounds were pouring out of a rift. Rather than leave the town to its fate we decided to seal it."
Peter|GM: It's a swift climb up to the roof-duct. The tiling and fretwork on the roof are ancient and ornate, and an Imperial unit is only just now coming down through the coinmill room after you.
Kit: "Like I said… 'And more'"
Elbereth: "Did you speak with the Captain recently, Master Hayreddin? I imagine the commotion would be indication to meet at the docks."
Hayreddin quickly whips up the rope after the last has climed up, and secures it on a hook near the small of his back.
MiRA-[CLE]: "Well that worked out nice."
Peter|GM: The grounds around the Treasury are buzzing with soldiers - and it's not long before one spots you, taking potshots from the ground below.
Hayreddin: "About if the whole city wasn't awake by now."
Peter|GM: One cracks against the tiles. If you poke your head up, you'll be risking fire.
Hayreddin: "Best to throw it to providence and follow the wind- if it is with us, then we'll find him at the dock."
MiRA-[CLE] squats down, blinding returning firing from cover.
Peter|GM: They scramble for a little bit of cover as MiRA fires back, but you're outnumbered. They'll probably find a way up onto the roof eventually, too.
MiRA-[CLE]: "So we got an exit strategy or…?"
Hayreddin: "Best to make for the horses."
Elbereth nods in agreement.
Elbereth: "World Savior, do they teach horse riding beyond the stars?"
Hayreddin: "There's not many, so stealing them alone robs the Imperials of an advantage."
Lobelia: "I've got a Plan B in mind that involves smashing apart a patrol." She smiles. "But, it's okay to take the horses instead."
Kit‘ looks around from her place in whoever’s pack she's in. "Yeah, Horse's sound good then"
Hayreddin: "We will need to punch through, spearlike- and slow for nothing."
Elbereth: "We will be smashing apart some, that much is certain Lady Wintervine. A concentrated and swift strike to break through their perimieter and get to the docks."
Hayreddin darts across to the other side of the roof and leaps to an adjacent, lower one- leaving part of the rope behind him! (He's looking to 'stairway' his way down, and provide the rope for less-agile followers.)
Kit‘ and Kat stay safe in the Pack they’re in
MiRA-[CLE]: "If by horses you mean motorcycles and jets…"
Peter|GM: The ancient architecture offers many footholds - what's important is speed. Agility! [- You descend safely, -And the soldiers aren't on you yet.]
Hayreddin rolled 3d6 and got 3, 1, 3 ( Total: 7 )
Hayreddin [-4 LP to get us through!]
Elbereth dashes after Hayreddin leaping to the next building.
Peter|GM: Down to a lower roof, and there, on the edge of the grounds, there's a small encampment where horses are kept, for running messages to distant units. The soldiers there aren't watching for you from this direction.
MiRA-[CLE] follows after the others a little bit slower.
Elbereth waits for the robot to catch up before leaping down into the encampment to surprise attack the guards.
Hayreddin holds his breath, and walks on the wind, flail sliding out of sleeve to deliver a strike from behind.
Lobelia crushes more than a few tiles underfoot- there's a brief worry of whether the next roof over will support her armored weight, but thankfully, it doesn't buckle. She doesn't miss the opportunity to clobber someone in the back of the head, either!
Peter|GM: Hayreddin, take them out with Stealth, Agility, or Strength, probably?
Hayreddin rolled 4d6 and got 4, 4, 3, 1 ( Total: 12 ) for stealth, most likely
Hayreddin strikes true. [-2 LP]
Peter|GM: The party crashes down on them, scattering the Imperial forces about.
Peter|GM: And hey.
Peter|GM: Horses!
Hayreddin takes a few deep breaths before making to unlash the horses from their posts, opening their gates.
Hayreddin: "Who best recalls the direction to the docks."
Hayreddin: "I will provide the best cover for them, who will be the lead rider."
Elbereth hops up on a horse before offering a hand to Mira. "You may share mine if you wish, World Savior."
MiRA-[CLE] pulls herself up. "That'll make ti easier to shoot."
Elbereth: "Lady Wintervine, did you want the honors of leading the charge…? I believe you've had adequate lessons?"
Hayreddin smells the salt on the wind, and draws his staff, gripping it with his right hand, cradled under his arm, and holds the reins with his left.
Elbereth glances over her shoulder. "And if you intend to shoot on the horse I suggest you hold on tight, World Savior. Unlike your mechanical 'ships' you speak of these will scare from the sound."
Peter|GM: Elbereth: There's a unit in hot pursuit!
Lobelia climbs up, then shifts her eyes between Hayreddin and Elbereth. "I suppose. I was about to suggest a round of stone / shears / stationery if nobody had a keen interest in navigating. Do keep up with me, then!" She first makes certain none of our rides have been spooked, then charges forward!
MiRA-[CLE] shakes her head, wrapping one arm around Elbereth while holding her other arm backwards with her gun and watching the Imperials.
Elbereth nods at Hayreddin before charging after Lobelia. She seems to be keeping pace with him in the back.
Hayreddin: "Hyaa!" He spurrs his horse into action!
Kit‘ makes some quick adjustments to her brother, so he’s more ready for ranged combat ((Switching Cluster Bomb for Rotary Hawk))
Peter|GM: Riflemen take a few shots as the party escape on horseback -
Peter|GM rolled 1d10+12 and got 5 ( Total: 17.0 )
MiRA-[CLE] shouts and returns fire!
Peter|GM: Grazing Lobelia for 17 physical as you slip past into the streets of the Vaults.
Peter|GM: The roar of shotgun sends them scattering as you stampede past!
Peter|GM: The streets grow a little more tangled as you head down into the city. They've set up a blockade up ahead on the main street, expecting your escape!
Peter|GM: (…Pell must have tipped them off…?)
Lobelia rights herself after the bullet deflects off her armored shoulder. She takes a moment to whisper something reassuring to the horse.
Peter|GM: Hayreddin, you're leading. Let's see Navigation or Streetwise to evade that, or… hit it head-on…?
[OOC] Elbereth: Lobelia is leading!
[OOC] Lobelia: if you have either of those skills, you can take the lead, tho
[OOC] Hayreddin: I a'int leadin' I'm to her flank swinging at anyone that comes nears
[OOC] Hayreddin: I don't have either haha
Peter|GM: LOBELIA is leading. Then let's see those from her!
Lobelia: "Uhhhhhh…" Lobelia has a terribly uncertain expression… "There!" She points to a street leading to the side, shouting, "Screw it, why not!"
Lobelia rolled 2d6 and got 2, 4 ( Total: 6 )
[OOC] Lobelia: -1 LP
[OOC] Lobelia: oh, and it'ssssss navigation I guess
[OOC] Peter|GM: - You have to abandon the horses and make the rest of the escape on foot, or - You have to fight a pack of soldiers, I think. Or show me a second success!
Peter|GM: The passage is good for a ways - Ecafa is all twisting alleyways, but the horses are game for them.
Peter|GM: Until you come up to a staircase winding up, with a pack of soldiers slipped off from the barricade on your heels.
Peter|GM: Gonna have to choose!
Elbereth is going too fast and isn't going to be able to make that turn into the alleyway. She speaks out. "World Savior, jump!" And jumps off the horse as she gets to the turn.
MiRA-[CLE]: "Huh wh - okay." And she slips off with Elbereth, given she was holding onto her anyway.
Lobelia points to the staircase! "Let 'em have their bloody horses, then, up here!" She hops off and charges upwards!
Peter|GM: It's a quick scurry up, and with all these snorting horses in the way, the soldiers can't quite follow you at same pace.
Hayreddin leaps aside and charges up the stairs!
Peter|GM: You give them the slip, slipping through a launderer's - into open door, past huge washtubs and laundry-mills worked by humans and Hundred both - out into the streets of the Strides.
Peter|GM: There's a moment to relax in this particular alleyway.
Peter|GM: Imperial forces are canvassing the streets, knocking on doors - do they think you might have gone to ground? - but they aren't on you just yet.
Peter|GM: How are you going to make it to the ship?
Elbereth catches her breath before smiling. "Lady Wintervine I admit that I am curious how you can keep up a sprint in that armor."
Hayreddin: "If we can make it to the black markets from here, it'll be even harder for the Imperials to find us, let alone follow."
Hayreddin: "Can you recall the way from here, madam Mira?"
MiRA-[CLE]: "Hmm…"
MiRA-[CLE]: "Yeah."
Elbereth: "True enough, but they do know our destination Master Hayreddin. If they lose sight of us they will no doubt wait there."
Hayreddin: "The alternative is letting them find us."
Hayreddin: "We would be going nowhere, then."
Kit: "But we'd have to remain unseen until we got there, whichever destination we go to"
Hayreddin: "They may -not- know, and be simply casting a wide net."
Hayreddin: "As we are few in number, our only strength will be to strike from darkness."
MiRA-[CLE] mentally maps her way back to the black market from here while the others discuss.
Hayreddin: "We'll exit the markets in an area closest to the docks, and then another burst of speed to leave."
Kit: "My brother and I could try to find the safest way to whereever we choose to go, lots of places for us to hide in a city like this"
Lobelia: "So we need a decoy. Something to keep their hound noses busy, away from the ship." Lobelia's eyes light up. "Hey… Why don't we find a small patrol? We beat them up, and I make sure they report that we're on the opposite end of town? I've a way of doing that."
Elbereth: "If we happen across one on the way, certainly."
Lobelia grins. "No takebacks, miss Elbereth. I'll hold you to it."
Hayreddin nods. "Then we have our plan."
Elbereth: "I have no doubts your words hold true, Lady Wintervine. I was present when the two of us entered Ecafa at the gates."
Peter|GM: Alright, let's see Stealth for the descent to the ship, then. [3: Actually No Fight, 2: A regular fight, 1: A kinda nasty fight. 0: haha oh no.]
[OOC] Kit: K, I'll take this one then
Kit‘ rolled 4d6 and got 1, 6, 3, 5 ( Total: 15 )
[OOC] Kit: -2 LP so that 3 is a 5
Peter|GM: Quick-stepping, familiar-scouting, Kit carefully plots a path through Ecafa’s tangled weave to the docks of the Sprawls where the Proudline lies waiting. There's no Imperial force here in sight, even!
Hayreddin: "(Good work!)" he praises from the shadows.
Elbereth: "(Let us hope the captain is true to his word. If he chose to betray us things could be problematic.)"
Kit‘ smiles back smuggly, she knows how to get around unseen!
Lobelia: "(It’s okay. If he did, I'll just…)" She cracks her knuckles. "(…teach him we're not to be crossed.)"
Peter|GM: Captain Xunlu's sailors are already cutting the mooring. He stands on the gangplank, gives a nod of assent, steps away to handle other things.
Peter|GM: Come on board.
Hayreddin hustles out from hiding, across the docks and up onto the deck!
MiRA-[CLE]: "That wasn't so bad."
Hayreddin: "The Imperials are many, but are just men."
Hayreddin: "Defeat is possible."
Elbereth boards the ship before nodding. She stays at the entrance and glances back at the dock. "Men that should by all means have this city on lockdown now. Do they intend to let this ship leave port?"
Peter|GM: Xunlu, wordlessly, hands Elbereth a letter. The wax seal on it has been broken already.
Peter|GM: The sails are unfurled.
Elbereth reads over the letter.
Lobelia gets on deck, finds a sturdy-looking barrel, and takes a seat, breathing in a deep, salty breath.
Hayreddin: "The Imperials intend to have our heads, I would not deign them a single hair."
Kit‘ quickly boards as well, scampering after the others while dodging the many feet of the civilians
Elbereth smirks slightly before sliding the letter between her fingers. With a snap it ignites and she flips it into the air.
MiRA-[CLE]: "What was that about?"
Elbereth: "Our Imperial Detective sends their regards for sealing the gate to hell on our way out."
MiRA-[CLE]: "Oh."
Peter|GM: The sailors of the Proudline are hard at work. They’re wrapped in white shrouds, like lepers - some are elven, many are not. The ship peels off, and after a brief flury of signal flags, it repels a token dusting of shore bombardment with its iron-cladding, and makes for open ocean.
Hayreddin glances over at Captain Xunlu at Elbereth's line. [Insight]
Hayreddin rolled 5d6 and got 3, 1, 2, 2, 1 ( Total: 9 )
Hayreddin trusts his instincts, safe on the ship. He sits on the deck, leaning against a railing.
Peter|GM: "You've destroyed the nail," the Captain says.
Peter|GM: "I thank you for that."
[OOC] Peter|GM: Incidentally, got +10 EXP.
Elbereth nods, still holding the broken Devil's Nail. "Did you want a memento, Captain?"
Peter|GM: He reaches out to touch it, the iron pegs running up his arm glowing white-hot as he touches it.
Peter|GM: He draws his hand back.
Peter|GM: "I do not."
MiRA-[CLE]: "Yeah, no problem."
MiRA-[CLE]: "Thing was pretty nasty anyway."
Elbereth smiles before bowing. "Fair enough. Think nothing of it. It had to be done and such risks are a fair trade to take a mirage witch aboard."
Elbereth: "Not that we won't bat away any trouble that comes our way."
Peter|GM: "Tremendously well-armed." He watches the city recede, and -
Peter|GM: "Well. Come down to the galley and let's eat."
MiRA-[CLE]: "Sounds good."
MiRA-[CLE] adjusts her coat as she heads down.
Kit‘ glances at the railings on the upper deck, and quickly nods as she follows after… Might be safe on here, but much less likely to catch a splash while below deck
Elbereth makes her way below deck. She’ll likely look for things to help with.
Lobelia: "Brilliant plan." She follows as well, eyeing the shards of the spear. "What's a witch to do now, with a broken cursed artifact? Out of curiosity."
Hayreddin pulls himself up by the railing and maneuvers to the belowdecks. He's slowed somewhat, but he still carries himself upright ad steady.
Elbereth smiles. "Broken it may be, but a witch may still use it to further understand the patrons artefacts."
Peter|GM: "A witch," Xunlu notes, as he takes his seat up along the mess table. "Ought not to be trusted with the things of the patrons at all."
Peter|GM: Food is served - it's fresh, from Ecafa.
Peter|GM: Many of the sailors are changing their bandages -and they are, indeed, bandages - their skin beneath it afflicted with some bizarre condition - they are thorny-carapaced, mottled black with flecks of green and blue their skin flowing with weird, foggy light beneath it, in currents that match no biology.
MiRA-[CLE]: "I mean it ain't doin' nothin' now and ya'lls tech is hilariously far behind theirs anyway so I don't think it matters much."
Kit: "But Ms. Nice Lady is Ms. Nice Lady, and can be trusted"
MiRA-[CLE] shovels food into her mouth.
Hayreddin graciously eats of the small fish and bluestalk in tandem, making smalltalk with the other sailors.
Peter|GM: Their discarded bandages are stained black, and carefully gathered. They're burned.
Hayreddin: "What fiend provided such wounds?" he asks, though his eyes instinctually slide towards the shard Elbereth still possesses.
Elbereth does not take a seat, nor partake in the food. She simply stands by waiting to see if anyone needs something.
MiRA-[CLE]: "Yo, ears. Eat. We can't have you collapsing when we get to the next down over if shit's fallin' apart there too." MiRA throws a bread roll at her.
Peter|GM: "Gaapspawn," one of the sailors says. "We're all-" He frowns at one of his fellows.
Peter|GM: "We're mostly all from Dremeos. And when a Gaapspawn gets ya, you get afflicted, sick-like."
Peter|GM: "Then no one will take you, for fear of catching it. Except our Captain."
Elbereth catches the bread roll before smiling. "I don't recall mentioning my intention to go to Agaap after. I assume you found this out from the agent?"
Kit‘ and Kat have climbed up onto a stool, and sits while Kit swings her legs in the air. The two dolls obviously also don’t partake in the food
Lobelia starts off with an orange before having some bread and some fish. ((would I know any [lore] about that disease?))
Peter|GM: (Well, not when anyone is looking.)
Peter|GM: Lobelia: Sure, let's see a roll.
Lobelia rolled 4d6 and got 5, 3, 1, 6 ( Total: 15 )
Lobelia averts her eyes from the sailors changing their bandages- at least, until food's done. After eating, she watches one of them carefully…
Elbereth waits around for a bit longer to see if anyone needs something before disappearing on to the deck.
Peter|GM: Many of the sailors have difficulty working with their bandages - though they seem deft enough at their tasks on-deck, the careful manipulation, the retying and redressing of their afflictions is difficult for them with the affliction of their flesh.
Peter|GM: But they share the same distrust of the mirage elf as their captain.
MiRA-[CLE] shakes her head as Elbereth leans, then leans towards Hayreddin. "(Elves gotta eat for energy just like everyone else, right, or are they like… some magical bullshit that photosynthises or something?)"
Hayreddin: "(Elves are food-consuming beings, like most of the rest of us, yes.)"
MiRA-[CLE]: "So… she's just being an idiot then. Alright."
Hayreddin grins. "I imagine you could continue to pester her, though I assure you she'll eat before her knees are done extending from reaching solid ground."
MiRA-[CLE]: "Mm."
Lobelia looks across the table to the captain. "Have you taken them to Ivique? It's been a few years since I read that, but if it's the Lutic Affliction… They should be welcome to drink of the waters of the monastery there. It seems to aid them staying themselves for longer."
Peter|GM: "My sailors," says the Captain. "Are those that would not go to Ivique."
Peter|GM: "Well," says a sailor. "Till we're ready to burn it."
Peter|GM: Captain Xunlu almost smiles.
Kit: "Why would you want to burn a monastary?"
Peter|GM: Xunlu gestures to his sailor, who offers: "Cause they're devil-worshipping stone-suckers."
Kit‘ looks at the sailors, then back to the captain. "… Oh… Well then"
Peter|GM: "A few things belonging to those misguided fools will need destroying too." the Captain says.
MiRA-[CLE]: "More Exarch artifacts?"
Peter|GM: "Right. They had a dealer in town buying Arcotech, but she slipped through my fingers."
Peter|GM: "The nail was more important, either way."
MiRA-[CLE]: "Huh. Is that way you do, then? Going around finding powerful … acrotech and destroying it?"
Peter|GM: "That, devil-hunting, and sorcerer-slaying. Keeps one busy."
MiRA-[CLE]: "What’s wrong with sorcerers?"
Lobelia: "Sounds like a thankless job. But… I'd prefer that to the alternative of the empire getting their hands on it. So, I, at least, shall thank you."
MiRA-[CLE]: "Magic seems pretty normal here…?"
Kit: "Kat and I wouldn't be here if not for magic, sorcery is not a bad thing!"
Peter|GM: "Certain magic," the Captain explains. "Devil conjuration, traffic with fiends. Calling for the Patrons."
MiRA-[CLE]: "I see…"
MiRA-[CLE]: "Wait, calling? How do they do that?"
Peter|GM: "I typically gut them as they're explaining, friend."
MiRA-[CLE]: "Okay well,"
MiRA-[CLE]: "If you ever get a chance to figure out how,"
MiRA-[CLE]: "Let me know somehow? Because I *really* need to make sure whatever communicaton relay they're using gets destroyed."
Peter|GM: "If you rest a little bit easier to hear it, I don't think their prayers are ever answered, or at least, answered by what they intend to reach."
MiRA-[CLE]: "Haha…"
MiRA-[CLE]: "Almost certainly on the not intended to reach guess,"
MiRA-[CLE]: "But that's actually WORSE for your world."
MiRA-[CLE]: "A whole fleet of them noticed the signal and are inbound now."
Peter|GM: Xunlu hisses. There is momentary panic about his men.
Peter|GM: "And we've been fought to a standstill just dealing with one."
MiRA-[CLE] punches one of her fist into the other.
MiRA-[CLE]: "There IS one still awake, I knew it!"
Hayreddin: "Our greater journey has… far-reaching consequences."
MiRA-[CLE]: "Do you know where it is?"
Peter|GM: "Awake or no, I'm not sure. But there's one of the things underneath Agaap."
MiRA-[CLE]: "Agaap… that sounds familiar. I think Elbereth or someone was talking about it."
Elbereth heads back below deck smiling. "It's the next Arcolith I intend to take the seed out of, World Savior."
MiRA-[CLE]: "Aha."
Peter|GM: "The ancient library of the Patrons."
Peter|GM: "Well, their graves are all over Dremeos. But Agaap's the biggest, and the only Arcolith."
MiRA-[CLE]: "Guess we don't need to change our plans up any, then."
Lobelia: "I'd advise we don't go in without a plan, Mira. The creature's spawn are carriers of disease. Do you know of any…" She makes a skyward hand gesture, "celestial remedies for Patrol related ailments?"
Elbereth: "The knowledge within is the primary reason I chose the furthest location. The library will enlighten us regarding the remainder and elucidate the Empires intentions."
MiRA-[CLE]: "Oh, is that the thing you were talking about earlier?" She glances between Lobelia and the bandaged sailors.
MiRA-[CLE]: "Depending on the source I might be immune, but I could look over some of these guys and see if I know of any ways to counter act it….?"
Peter|GM: One of the sailors - who's been quiet until now - pulls back some of her bandages and stands up.
Peter|GM: "Always ready to piss off a new physician, Captain."
MiRA-[CLE] starts digging out tools and chemicals from her pockets, then - makes sure they do this examination some distance away from the table people are eating at.
Peter|GM: Experimentation?
MiRA-[CLE] rolled 4d6 and got 6, 3, 1, 1 ( Total: 11 )
Lobelia nods. "I had to take one of my younger sisters' physicking classes to get out of…" Lobelia's face scrunches in disgust. "Penmanship and Calligraphy IV. Ugh. I had my fill after the first semester, and to this day I have no clue what in the name of God's bountiful bosom they still had to teach for a fourth one!" She slumps onto the table, pouting.
Peter|GM: The infection isn't a transformation into some other kind of organism. It's a corruption of this soul's reality, a creeping redefinition of what it means to be human -
Peter|GM: The power of an Exarch's demesne.
[OOC] Peter|GM: But you can ask more questions with more successes.
[OOC] MiRA-[CLE]: -2LP
[OOC] Peter|GM: Got the Experimentation list in front of you?
[OOC] MiRA-[CLE]: How Can One Reverse The Effect?
MiRA-[CLE]: "Hahaha you guys thought this was a disease."
MiRA-[CLE]: "Though I suppose given your level of tech you wouldn't be able to tell what was going on…"
Elbereth: "What would you call it, then?"
MiRA-[CLE]: "I'm not even sure how to describe it."
MiRA-[CLE]: "Hmm."
MiRA-[CLE]: "Okay so… I guess imagine a peice of paper, or something."
MiRA-[CLE]: "And then some ink. When you put the ink over it, it fundimentally changes the paper, but doesn't destroy it. It just changes how you look at it, think of it, and interact with it."
MiRA-[CLE]: "The Exarch are kind of like ink, and your planet and the people inside of it are the paper. Their general goal is to extend their demesne over the world, changing everything inside of it to be more… in line with them."
Hayreddin: "A metamorphosis, then."
MiRA-[CLE]: "So… anyone that's changed by it is kind of fucked. With the way I'm built, I can dampen the effects on myself and people near me so it'll be more like smudged that can be cleaned off still with some effort…"
Elbereth: "So you are saying we are alright to go into Agaap but you have no way to reverse the effect?"
MiRA-[CLE]: "But for anyone ACTUALLY effected by it, the only way I know of to reverse the effects would be for the demesne to overwrite it."
MiRA-[CLE]: "That's the long and short of it, yeah."
Peter|GM: The patient laughs.
Peter|GM: "I understand it a little better, but I'm still as fucked as I was before."
[OOC] MiRA-[CLE]: The demesne of another exarch^
Peter|GM: "But you ain't another stone-sucking devil-worshipper," says another sailor.
Peter|GM: "Got that right!"
MiRA-[CLE]: "I'm curious why the water from the devil worshippers would slow the effects though…"
Hayreddin: "What it means, I believe- is that we should stick very close to madam Mira when investigating."
MiRA-[CLE]: "Maybe it's a leaky light vein from another Exach that landed here…?"
Elbereth smirks slightly. "No wonder the Imperials are waiting for us to open Agaap for them."
MiRA-[CLE]: "We'll want to check out that place soonish, too."
Peter|GM: Captain Xunlu gets up. "My shift at watch is up. Be well and wary, let someone know if you need to be shown to your quarters."
Peter|GM: "Shouldn't be any Gaapspawn in these waters, but they've followed us further north before."
MiRA-[CLE] nods
Elbereth: "I do wonder as to the Empires intentions regarding the Sword, The Black Knight and the Seeds. They are likely going to try and take the Seed of Fire when we excavate the Arcolith."
MiRA-[CLE]: "Seed?"
Lobelia: "So you don't know any way to just…" She makes a writing gesture, "Write your own letters on their paper? If what we are is the absence of influence, perhaps we can vaccinate ourselves by imprinting 'us' on ourselves?"
MiRA-[CLE]: "What kind of seed?"
Elbereth: "The mana seed of fire…?"
MiRA-[CLE]: "Naw, I'm neither an Exarch nor a Pure Heart. And none of you are either. So." She shrugs to Lobelia.
Elbereth: "Lady Mcgunnery took the Water Seed from Filios and gave it to the Empire. They are gathering them to power up the Sword, I believe?"
MiRA-[CLE]: "Huh."
MiRA-[CLE]: "Did you get a look at it?"
MiRA-[CLE]: "And I assume there's one of each element…?"
Lobelia: "The seed… or the sword?"
MiRA-[CLE]: "Both."
Elbereth shakes her head. "Not even those present during the fight managed to get a good look at the Seed. It was more of a snatch and flee kind of ordeal."
Elbereth: "It glowed blue and all that touched it were granted prolonged life. We spoke with a spirit that dematerialized since the Seed was no longer at the ruins."
Lobelia: "Didn't get to see the seed, but…" She looks distant for a moment. "That sword was… There's something not right about it."
Kit and Kat both look at each other, then to the others. "What's this about a Sword?"
MiRA-[CLE]: "Spirit…"
MiRA-[CLE]: "Hmm."
MiRA-[CLE]: "Water… Undine or Shade?"
Elbereth: "Undine."
MiRA-[CLE] cross her legs and taps at the ground with the higher foot, thinking.
MiRA-[CLE]: "Naw those aren't powering the sword."
Elbereth: "Why gather them for the Black Knight, then?"
MiRA-[CLE]: "Your Empress is either attempting to make herself into a Pure Heart, or making a new world. Possible both since those with a Pure Heart yadda yadda."
MiRA-[CLE]: "Knight's just doin' the leg work, almost definitely."
Elbereth: "I'm afraid I don't understand. When you say new world, how is that different from what the Exarchs are doing trying to reshape the world?"
MiRA-[CLE]: "Well for one, it's a new world, not overwriting an old one."
MiRA-[CLE]: "Those've gotta be seeds for a tree of mana."
Elbereth frowns. "Don't we… already have one of those?"
MiRA-[CLE]: "Should be one around, somewhere. But it's nearly dead since the Exarch were draining its power."
Elbereth glances to her side before speaking up. "And you believe that you can save this world, rather than gather the tools to abandon it?"
Lobelia: "Oh. Should… we be worried about that? Will it get better if we smash whatever is draining it, or will we need to grow a new one? Pretty sure I remember how to grow a new tree from a fresh clipping."
MiRA-[CLE] rocks her head back and forth a few times, then ultimately shrugs. "Honestly? No fucking clue. I don't know a lot about how all that shit actually works. I'm mostly here to help protect you guys from the new inbound Exarchs."
Lobelia: "Sure. But then what? You're making it sound like we don't have a whole lot worth protecting here. That tree is pretty god damned important, isn't that what you've been telling us?"
Elbereth visibly frowns. "That's admittedly… not what I wanted to hear, World Savior. If we cannot save this world from the Exarchs then we and the Empire will have the same objective, albeit different methods."
Elbereth: "I refuse to abandon this world to new beginnings."
MiRA-[CLE]: "I duno what to tell you, I was sort of forced into activation and shuttled off before I was fully ready, and before they had a plan."
MiRA-[CLE]: "I mean, I'm pretty sure I wasn't supposed to be down here by myself to begin with, but here we are."
MiRA-[CLE] scratches at the back of her head, then lets her hand drop.
MiRA-[CLE]: "We'll make it work somehow, though."
Peter|GM: A MOMENT'S RESPITE, BEFORE FURTHER TRIALS.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License