Ch2 10

Peter|GM: ECAFA, AT THE VAULTS
Peter|GM: The Treasury of Ecafa. Surrounded by an outer wall, protected by guard, up on the edge of a little valley
Elbereth stares off into the distance before addressing her companion. "Did you have a preferred point of entry, Mister Hayreddin. While I can claim to be agile, I cannot say I am stealthy."
Peter|GM: Somewhere inside this building - now used as the barracks for the occupation force, no less! - is a "Devil Nail" , an holy relic of the patrons.
MiRA-[CLE] clicks her teeth at the word 'stealth'.
Hayreddin: "We'll be dodging the main halls and snake around corners to avoid direct vision."
Elbereth: "We intend to scale the outer wall, I hope?"
Hayreddin nods. "Any demolition should wait for escaping."
Kit: "Kat and I could try to survey ahead, people tend to ignore dolls"
Peter|GM: (You totally could, Kit - that'd be a Stealth check.)
Hayreddin: "A fair idea. Your low profile also helps greatly."
Elbereth: "I would suspect that one could only surmise that a familiar in a treasury would be scouting for potential ill gotten gains for their master. I would hope they do not see you moving."
Elbereth makes her way down the cliff and towards the outer wall.
Kit: "They would have to see us first… I'm just hoping there's no kids, they'd ruin all attempts to sneak in and out"
Peter|GM: Ah, the treasury's on the top of the cliff, up with the rest of the city.
[OOC] Elbereth: Oh!
Peter|GM: Down the cliff would… well, you can take a look if you'd like!
[OOC] Elbereth: Just the outer wall, then!
[OOC] Kit: Ok, rolling Stealth
MiRA-[CLE]: "Can't imagine that's really a place for children, anyhow."
Lobelia follows. "I know you two can handle yourselves if you get seen. Just clobber someone and make a run for it! If we must go in loud, we shall."
Kit rolled 4d6 and got 2, 4, 4, 3 ( Total: 13 )
[OOC] Kit: -2 LP to makes those 4s 5s
Peter|GM: Ok! Kit and Kat wait for the guard at the front door to look away for a moment, and then slip in!
Elbereth 's expression clearly shows she is disatisfied with that guards quality of work.
Peter|GM: Inside, there's the great hall of the treasury - two huge staircases lead up to the left and right. On the ground floor, there's a long counter - and glass barrier - separating the northern part of the room from the southern part of the room.
Peter|GM: Sort of the main hall of a central bank.
Peter|GM: There's an accessible door to the left, and a second storey. They can't reach them from here, but there's three heavy vault doors on the north end -
Peter|GM: (Actually, the barrier is metal mesh, like a chainlink fence but fancier, not glass, sorry! That big of a window wouldn't be appropriate.)
Peter|GM: You can explore further, but your luck is probably about to run out - you'll raise a little attention before getting back.
Peter|GM: Or you can head back now!
Kit looks at Kat, as though listening, then nods, before turning back to return to the others
[OOC] Kit: Assuming the vault doors are ground floor behind the barrier from the dolls
Elbereth sizes up the height of the outer wall, as the only other alternative is the main entrance with the guard?
[OOC] Peter|GM: That's so, Kit!
Peter|GM: Elbereth: I'm not saying that's the only alternative, but the outer wall's about ten feet tall, I'd say.
Elbereth nods. "Should you wish is, I can scale this wall and toss a rope down for our entry."
Hayreddin nods. "A missing front guard is a horrible kind of suspicious."
Elbereth smiles in agreement before attempting to scale the wall. [Agility?]
MiRA-[CLE]: "You humans sure do seem to like sneaky approaches…"
Kit and Kat appears shortly. "Don't think the front way's the best if we want to be quiet about this"
Elbereth: "Only until we reach the treasure. Once we have what we came for and our opponents can no longer take it and run we can come out guns blazing, World Savior."
Elbereth: "Should we alert the enemy too soon, all may be for naught."
Peter|GM: Elbereth: Yeah: [Scale it], and [Don't need a breather afterwards.]
Elbereth rolled 4d6 and got 4, 2, 6, 2 ( Total: 14 )
[OOC] Elbereth: I'll spend 1 LP sure.
Elbereth scales to the top of the wall before tossing a rope down to the others.
MiRA-[CLE] climbs up and over!
Hayreddin bows in thanks before scaling the wall with rope assistance.
Kit climbs up into Lobelia's pack
Lobelia climbs up after, once the dolls are secure.
Peter|GM: From the vantage point, you can see a little bit more of the yard - in addition to the front entrance, there seems to be a small gathering yard behind the treasury, where a ground-in path in the dirt winds to a doorway at the far edge of the walls.
[OOC] Hayreddin: visible personnel?
MiRA-[CLE]: "Huh, was expecting more of a… like, safe vault. Not so much a country club sort of feel."
Peter|GM: Hayreddin: There's just the front unit on the grounds, between the door and the main gate. There's a few laborers visible in the yard out back - smoke break, looks like - but they're not armed and armored.
Elbereth glances at Hayreddin, ready to jump down when they decide what route they're taking.
Hayreddin: "Most must be in the barracks proper. The rear door is promising, but were it to be locked, violence would be our key."
Hayreddin sizes up the laborers. Local, or imperial? [Insight]
Peter|GM: Hayreddin: I'll answer with one success, more for more questions.
Hayreddin rolled 5d6 and got 1, 4, 6, 4, 4 ( Total: 19 )
Peter|GM: Yeah, they're local hires.
Hayreddin [-1 LP] Random muscle or shop laborers?
Peter|GM: Hayreddin: Menial labor. Given the clothes - and on closer inspection, that they're both women - they're probably laundry and kitchen staff.
Hayreddin: "If we move with purpose I doubt they'll take much notice, despite not wearing imperial markings."
MiRA-[CLE] glances around the group. "Shouldn't be a problem."
Hayreddin nods his head around. "It might be a tall order, yes, perhaps."
Kit: "We'll just stay hidden in here" and she pats Lobelia's pack
Hayreddin: "But we also have dazzling flair and immesurable charm on our side."
MiRA-[CLE]: "That weren't sarcasm." And she plops down from the wall.
Hayreddin: "So. Let's hop down and try the door. If they take notice, we turn it on them and insist the front guard directed us to obtain the key from the local staff."
Hayreddin: "If said door isn't locked, we'll just go in."
Hayreddin also hops down.
Elbereth hops down and starts to escort the party to the door.
Lobelia: "Works for me. Lead on, and if anyone stops us, well… It'd be best for them to talk things out." Smile.
Peter|GM: One of the smokers waves to Elbereth as she approaches - and then, boggles at the size of the party.
Peter|GM: "Hey, we can get away with a tiny bit of company, but don't you think you're pushing it?"
Elbereth bows her head slightly. "My apologies. They happened to all be visiting Ecafa and wished to see where I worked. I'm willing to take the risk."
Elbereth: "I won't be long and I'll find a way to make it up to everyone." A smile.
Peter|GM: "Hell." There's a little wedge in the door. "Sure, sure."
Peter|GM: "As if the one architecture nut wasn't bad enough."
Elbereth: "Ah. They're still here?"
Peter|GM: "Yeah, I think she's on kitchen duty today. What's her name?" The other smoker volunteers: "Melawny, I think. She's new."
Elbereth nods. "I may see if she needs help with anything while I do the rounds. Enjoy your break."
Elbereth: She bows slightly before going for the door.
Lobelia plays the part of the nerd by finding an arch or a doorway to punch, remarking "Studry, isn't it?" She then follows Elbereth.
MiRA-[CLE] nods as she trails behind Elbereth.
Hayreddin follows, saying nothing but leaving with a smile.
Elbereth may as well make her way towards the kitchen. This Melawny may know where the Devils Nail is being stored even if the staff wasn't allowed to see it.
Peter|GM: Just inside: The laundry-room is thick with the smell of soap, guard uniforms piled into massive hampers and soaking wet. A single door to the south, with the washbasin filled from a copper pipe running down into the floor.
Elbereth gestures to the guard uniforms. "Did you intend to disguise yourselves or…?"
Hayreddin broadly grins. "It's a great idea!"
Hayreddin: "Let's see if we can't find some dry ones amidst the rabble." He immediately begins looking.
MiRA-[CLE]: "Put on some smucks wet uniform…? No thanks."
Peter|GM: Oh yeah, there's uniforms. Wait, how do you wear these, again…?
[OOC] Peter|GM: Roll Lying to instruct party members on appropriate imperial uniform wear.
Hayreddin: "A dirtier one? Also a good idea, Madam Mira."
[OOC] Peter|GM: …Lobelia's golden, though.
Kit pokes her head out from Lobelia's pack. "I don't think there's gonna be any that'd fit Kat or I, so likely best we stay in here still"
MiRA-[CLE] frowns in dissatisfaction.
MiRA-[CLE]: "There's like an 80% chance of us needing to bust heads anyway… don't see the need."
Hayreddin rolled 2d6 and got 6, 1 ( Total: 7 )
MiRA-[CLE]: "Especially with you being a wanted criminal and waaay larger than any other imperial I've ever seen."
Elbereth: "As you wish, World Savior." She shakes her head before leaving the room. She's going to go looking for the kitchen.
Lobelia steps over to a bin that looks a bit more neatly folded, and doesn't quite smell so weird. "I'll just change into some pants, my shirt looks close enough to an officer's as long as my armor's on." She just slips them on, then rolls the cloth of her skirt up and tucks it into the skirt-plates.
Hayreddin: "A sword at three meters can inflict mortal wounds far easier than at three hundred."
MiRA-[CLE]: "A… huh?"
Peter|GM: Hayreddin: Your disguise is good, Lobelia's is good. Elbereth can probably keep passing as maid-staff…
[OOC] Peter|GM: The ruse will fail if anyone else falls under close scrutiny.
Kit ducks her head back into Lobelia's pack, and remains quiet
Hayreddin: "Considering the level of personnel at this location, extended and repeated fights would only serve to sap our strength, with no guarantee that we would find our way."
Hayreddin: "Would that we all possessed deieitic strength and fortitude, then by all means."
MiRA-[CLE] shakes her head dismissively. "Just say you're givin' me a tour of the place in some officers attempt to win me to their cause, or whatever, if someone asks."
MiRA-[CLE]: "'Cause I'd be even more suspicious lookin' in that uniform than you are. Heh."
Peter|GM: Anyway, that's good as things are getting. There's probably more barracks to the south?
[OOC] Hayreddin: barracks suck let's not go to them
Hayreddin follows Elbereth's path.
Lobelia scoots over to the kitchen as well.
MiRA-[CLE] sticks towards the center of the group, to at least assist with the illusion that she's being escorted through the compound.
Peter|GM: Oh yeah, sorry - missed Elbereth's movement action above.
Peter|GM: There's a block of bunks to the south - densely packed beds, some that look like they've been here for ages, plus some newer ones of Imperial make filling in the gaps between them to house even more soldiers.
Hayreddin: "Fortunately, your actual origins are wild enough to a casual Imperial ear to be believable."
MiRA-[CLE] grins.
Peter|GM: There's open doorways to the east and the west from that bunkroom - and the kitchen's to the east.
Hayreddin: "And the best lies are sugared with the tiniest of truths."
Elbereth pokes her head into the kitchen before looking around.
Peter|GM: Oven's cooking on the north side of the room, with an exit to a hallway at the southeast. Kitchen-staff are in a bustle doing up dinner for the night-shift, guards still armored piled around one of the tables in the common area.
Peter|GM: Oh, and there's a small door on the north side of the room, too.
Elbereth calls out to the kitchen. "Is Melawny here? A visitor would like a word."
Peter|GM: A murmuring - "Yeah, she's-" And one of the servants is sent over.
Peter|GM: Melawny is dark-haired, human. Skin's not pale, so she's a local. She leans into the doorway.
Peter|GM: And squints.
Peter|GM: "Y'don't actually work here."
Elbereth smiles slightly before bowing. "I serve another master, I'm afraid. But my business still takes me here."
Hayreddin: "The call, however, was not incorrect…"
Elbereth: "I do not have the luxury of time, so I will be curt. I was hoping that you would be able to tell me about the Devil's Nail. My employer is interested in it and heard it was housed here."
Peter|GM: She hisses through her teeth. "That's an old Ecafan treasure, isn't it…?" She looks anxiously over her shoulder.
Elbereth nods in response. "Surely you know more than that, though…?"
Hayreddin: "Like, perhaps, the layout of the treasury and why it's so unique?"
Peter|GM: She straightens a little. "-It dates back to the old monarchy, even before the houses. When they took down the palace, they sealed off the deeper parts of the treasury, and everything in it."
Peter|GM: "The first vault should have access to it, at least - but you'd be breaking through brick."
Peter|GM: "There might be another way inside, but I haven't found it."
MiRA-[CLE] hmms to herself.
Hayreddin: "Interesting. Why seal off the treasury…?"
Elbereth nods before smiling. "It must be well hidden then. Or do your job duties distract you that much from looking?"
Peter|GM: She nods to Hayreddin. "Easier than fighting over who to give it to."
Hayreddin nods back in understanding.
Peter|GM: "They don't really let us servants onto the main floor," she adds. "And I'm not going near the Vexit Hounds they keep in the basement."
Elbereth glances at Hayreddin gauging what he intends to do.
Hayreddin: "Then we will simply have to deal with the wall when we come across it, if neecessary."
Hayreddin: "If the Devil Nail isn't a newer treasure, then we will unearth the past."
Hayreddin: "Lastly-"
Hayreddin: "Alternate entrances to the outer treasury?"
Peter|GM: "Water in the basement comes from the aqueduct, so you can go that way." She looks over her shoulder again. "People are starting to wonder. You'll be starting a proper scene soon, won't you?"
Hayreddin smiles. "Try to act surprised. It's fun to play along," he says, before turning away.
Peter|GM: She mutters something about the hells and gets back to work.
Lobelia fisher her brooch from her shirt and holds it out to reassure Melawny. "Our employer would prefer if we did not, I believe. If it gets loud, please do stay safe." Smile.
Elbereth chuckles lightly at Hayreddin before leaving as well. "Aquaducts it is."
MiRA-[CLE] headtilts at Lobelia's brooch, before following the other two.
Elbereth: "Unless you wished to go through the basement and fight the hounds?"
Kit: "Nope, no hounds, bad idea" it's muffled, since Kit hasn't poked her head out, but it's loud enough for the group to hear
Elbereth: "Worse than water, Kit?"
Kit: "Well, no, but still…"
Kit: "At least we're safe from water in here"
Hayreddin: "The aqueduct's water leads -to- the basement, so…"
Hayreddin: "Hounds might be an inevitability."
MiRA-[CLE]: "Dogs all the way down."
Elbereth: "You had dogs on other stars, World Savior?"
Elbereth decides to make her way to the basement, then!
MiRA-[CLE]: "I mean, not on the ship? But I know what a dog is."
Peter|GM: Elbereth: Probably heading north from the kitchen and heading down? The map's a little unclear there, but poking about finds you a staircase that way.
Elbereth will do that, sure. She glances at Mira. "Through mediums or is that… prestablished information?"
Hayreddin: "Are dogs… a universal constant??"
MiRA-[CLE]: "'medium's…? But yeah lots of places got dogs."
Elbereth: "Word of mouth…? Books?" She clarifies.
MiRA-[CLE]: "Oh. Uh, yeah, like a book I guess."
Peter|GM: Heading down into the basement - the sound of running water, the scent of ancient stone. The staircase down runs along pipes drawing water from the open waterway down below.
Peter|GM: There's an alternate staircase up in a room to the east - looks like it probably heads up into the hallway on the map? - and another room of uncertain purpose - looks fairly empty, honestly - to its south.
Peter|GM: There's open passage to a cellar room to the west, full of kegs and crates and a strangely-shaped thing covered in a tarp.
Peter|GM: Passage to the southwest, along the waterway, heads outwards towards the aqueduct - looks like there's even sunlight.
Peter|GM: But it passes past a lot - a lot- of Vexit Hounds, massive Imperial warbeasts.
Hayreddin side-eyes the Vexit hounds before investigating the cellar room, and peeking under the tarp because he can't help himself.
MiRA-[CLE] squints, putting a hand over her eyes. "Yup that sure is dogs."
[OOC] Hayreddin: also is there any incline or decline in the waterway as it progresses toward the aqueduct?
Peter|GM: Incline - the water's flowing downhill as it comes this way, with the aqueduct built to supply the treasury water.
Peter|GM: Under the tarp: It's a coin press, like, minting machinery.
Peter|GM: Though the plates for it are nowhere to be seen, and there's no nearby forge for melting the metal.
Hayreddin: "Madam Elbereth." He stands up straight, and folds his hands into his sleeves.
Elbereth: "How may I help you, Mister Hayreddin?"
Hayreddin: "Back at the Arcolith, I witnessed you freeze a pond and cross it with naught but a spell and your feet."
Hayreddin nods toward the hounds and the waterway. "Would that you could do the same here, but narrower, so we would sidestep the beasts altogether?
Elbereth shakes her head. "As much as I would like to comply, I can only walk on still water."
Elbereth: "I can only freeze what I walk upon, there is little range involved just a trail."
MiRA-[CLE]: "Oh man. Are we jackin' that coin press?"
Elbereth glances at the coin press before nodding to Mira. "If that is your wish." She opens up the gate through the hand of Virindigris. "You may wish to write a note to explain to Echo Thirty-Six why you dropped a coin press on him, however."
Peter|GM: Indeed, the water's flowing swiftly - down from the waterway to fill a reservoir here, with the excess draining to the east.
Peter|GM: (It's unclear where that channel leads.)
Hayreddin gives a quick glance over the crates for any markings or revelations as to what they hold.
Elbereth: "Any loot we wish to take however we can transport to our Hundred companion and the guards would be none the wiser."
Peter|GM: Well, you would have to carry it through the gate…
Peter|GM: Hayreddin: Mostly Imperial supplies, rations and whatnot.
Peter|GM: One of them is marked as a pharmaceutical crate, though.
Hayreddin smirks. "Not an unwise idea, if we could fit a crate through here, to sell on the market, and obtain funds for Santiago's ship."
MiRA-[CLE]: "Ah, that's… handy."
Hayreddin: "But in the end…" He's going to give the mostly empty room a once-over.
MiRA-[CLE] cracks open the pharmaceutical crate. Never hurts to have a supply of medicines on hand incase the mana reserves run low.
Lobelia: "We'll have to find a way to advance without alerting the dogs. That, or we charge past and discard the advantage of our stealth… Hmm."
Elbereth jots a quick note in cursive before attaching it to the coin press. Then with a shove she pushes it through the portal. Surprise Echo Thirty-Six.
MiRA-[CLE]: "Don't you have a smoke bomb or somethin'?"
Hayreddin: "Oh, once we're inside, speed will be the ruler."
Peter|GM: There's a lot - the difficulty would be in carrying it all. Four bottles of medicine, two potions, four vials of Accelerant and two vials of Analeptic…
Peter|GM: The trouble with the portal is that…
Peter|GM: It's actually fairly far between the two ends.
Peter|GM: That is, when you open up the portal, you see the other end all the way on the other side, about eight meters away?
Peter|GM: You'd have to shove the press a bit. And it's a tight fit.
MiRA-[CLE]: "Oohoho, lookit all this shit."
Lobelia blinks for a moment, then reaches for her bandolier, pulling out a vial. "Ah, that reminds me. It's no smoke bomb, but we can get past with this [Sleep Bomb], I think."
Elbereth: "If you want it that badly you have to push it, World Savior."
MiRA-[CLE]: "Huh? Oh."
MiRA-[CLE]: "Eh, it ain't got any plates it's useless. More practical to carry this junk."
Hayreddin: "A [Sleep Bomb]?"
Hayreddin: "A great idea!"
Kit: "Do we think we could get them all with one bomb?"
Hayreddin: "Even simply thinning their numbers would help."
Elbereth takes a Potion and a Medicine. She does not take the addictive drugs that force High Tide.
Hayreddin: "If we took them down to about…" He tilts his head back and forth. "Five-"
Kit: "Maybe for you guys, have you seen what dogs do to dolls?"
Hayreddin: "That would be more managable."
MiRA-[CLE]: "Okay so I'll grab.. one of these Medicine and a Potion… ya'll are free to whatever else you want. Tne Analeptic might be useful for ya." She nods to Hayreddin.
Hayreddin will in fact take that Analeptic!
Lobelia: "Oh, it can easily catch them all." She scrunches her face at Mira a bit. "Was that… a farmer impression?"
Elbereth nods to Lobelia. "Let us go, then."
MiRA-[CLE]: "Farmer, what?"
MiRA-[CLE] glances over at Lobelia after shoving stuff into her pockets.
Kit pokes her head out to see what Mira is talking about. "Oh, medicinal supplies!" and she seems to forget about the nearby dogs as she hops out to nab a Potion and Medicine herself…
[OOC] MiRA-[CLE]: that's one too many potions haha
Lobelia: "That weird sound you just made. Ya… Yawull? I've heard it often enough but I can't quite get it right."
MiRA-[CLE]: "Y'all?"
MiRA-[CLE]: "It's a contraction, yo. You and All."
Lobelia nods. "So that's what it is. Damned books forget to teach matters of concequence sometimes."
MiRA-[CLE]: "Books are pretty shit at teaching slang. You want movies for that."
MiRA-[CLE] places the coin press back under the tarp, then glances around. "Anyway."
Kit: "What's a 'movies'"
[OOC] Kit: +?
MiRA-[CLE]: "What's a - holy fuck you guys don't have movies?"
Hayreddin: "We move, and we have moves, and we can be move-ed…"
Elbereth glances to her side. "The sleep bomb, Lady Wintervine…?"
Lobelia holds the vial out. "Who would like to do the honors?"
Hayreddin holds out a hand.
Lobelia hands it over. "Strike true. It's the only one we've got."
Hayreddin spins it about his fingers and lobs it into the crowd!
Peter|GM: There's an explosion of smoke, and the massive hounds startle. They're - huge beasts, actually, and alert at the limit of their chains, barking and shouting and snapping at the fumes.
Peter|GM: But they slow.
Peter|GM: There's enough dosage in the bomb even for them -
Peter|GM: And they fall asleep.
MiRA-[CLE]: "Okay okay. Uh. Do you have records?"
MiRA-[CLE]: "Record music, I mean."
Kit: "Isn't that just the notes musicians read from a sheet?"
Lobelia: "Uh. If you mean music, it's pronounced record, not record."
MiRA-[CLE]: "Naw definitely not sheet music, like, a little disc you put on a machine and then it makes music come out of a … …." she pauses, "Horn or something?"
Kit tilts her head in confusion
Lobelia waits for the smoke to clear, then heads on through, keeping a clean cloth over her mouth regardless. She signals for the others to follow, as well. "Never heard of such a thing. Sounds pleasant, though."
MiRA-[CLE]: "The hell did the call the things before record players…"
MiRA-[CLE]: "F… phonographs…?"
Kit: "But… people play music, not a thing"
Hayreddin walks through the crowd of sleeping beasts.
MiRA-[CLE]: "Wow ya'll are some straight up primitave savages."
MiRA-[CLE]: "Maybe I'll ask Alianor about it, she seems like she might know if they exist here."
Elbereth: "We have relied on magicks much more than technology."
MiRA-[CLE]: "Okay well just for the sake of explaining -" Mira follows after Lobelia down the passage as she talks,
Peter|GM: Past the hounds: The waterway slopes upwards, reaching sunlight at the base of that valley you saw earlier.
Peter|GM: It seems like this provides a back entrance into the fort, at least.
Peter|GM: There's more aqueduct further west, but it seems like it's a different construction entirely.
MiRA-[CLE]: "Assume there'sa device that could listen to music and sounds and people talking, record it, and then play it back perfectly somehow. Then, imagine there's a machine that could create pictures of things it sees, so fast, that when you lines them up and flips through them, it'd look like it's moving."
Kit also starts to follow, keeping wary among the hounds…
MiRA-[CLE]: "And then *combine* the two of those things, and have them tell a story like in a book,"
MiRA-[CLE]: "And that's basically a movie."
Hayreddin: "A theater, but in an object?"
Kit: "Sounds far fetched to us"
MiRA-[CLE]: "…Yeah, yeah basically that!"
[OOC] Peter|GM: and since I'm sick:
Peter|GM: A ROUTE OUT OF THE TREASURY SECURED… BUT ITS DEEPER SECRETS LAY COVERED STILL.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License