Sw28

Argent: "…Screw this shit. I'm not interested in waiting for an entire army of Ethereals to come in here." Argent…oh god, she has the damn coilgun again.
Split Worlds - Session 28
Argent: …and why is she having this psychotic smirk?
The sound of footsteps coming from above, some still-dazed minds and entirely drenched in water (also on rather fine outfits). The party is in the control chamber of the Almagest Ancestral, having acquired the information they came for, and far more than they've bargained. Howevre, in this isolated chamber with only one way in or out, through a long, winding passageway upwards that leads
JayM: directly into the throne room
There is the sound of the footsteps of the guards coming in
Jack: "Do not even contemplate it."
Jnezdie shakes himself like a dog, flitting water left and right, and drags his feet over to Gavriel to help him up.
Argent has indeed set up the coilgun-to point straight at the Ancestral's controls
Argent: "Shut it. Now we're playing by my rules."
JayM: You have a moment to get you'r bearings
Gavriel stands, tromps over to Argent, claps a hand on her shoulder- gently, kindly. "No. We are not."
Argent whispers to Gavriel, "(Don't ruin the bluff, damnit!)"
Jnezdie then shuffles his way over to where their 'trained Varg butler' had their weapons. He searches for Ragnarok, and hoists it from the pile. "Oi, I hope you're uh. Water resistant. 'cause you're not really from this place. Sarah hates the stuff. Hopin' you don't, or at least don't care because you're a sword."
Inside, Ragnarok has a soft neon-blue glow, which has actually grown slightly stronger from what it was before this venture
Jnezdie smiles slightly. "'Atta boy. Gonna be a long escape route."
Jnezdie: "('Atta girl? Honestly, despite the connotations of bein' a sword, I suppose I shouldn't assume.)"
Jack: "Ah, forgive me I hadn't realize you were dead set on making this situation the worst it possible could be and all but guarenteeing nothing nice happens to not just us, but Lady Sarah."
Argent: "As if they'd do anything nice to us -anyway-"
Jnezdie blinks a few times, new thoughts still swimming in his head, turning about somewhat mindlessly until he hears the familiar sound of his party.
Jnezdie: "Y'know I was just. Thinking that we could run like all get-out right through 'em. I mean, heck, I doubt any of them could take a full-body tackle from even Jack, here."
Jnezdie: "No offense, buddy."
Jack: "Perhaps if you did not act like a raving, sociopathic lunatic most of the time you would be more acquainted with it! Both their princess and their crowned prince all but left us to our own devises on more than one ocassion. At the very least repay that curtisy by not aiming a blasted gun at their people and things."
Gavriel stares at Argent. "(They will kill to protect this.)"
Argent: "(See those statues? That's likely to be us anyway.)"
The echoes of the steps are closer
Jnezdie goes 'fffffffffft' to blow more water from his face, and with a single hand movement, tears through the buttons on the front of his tuxedo to give himself a bit of open-chest, and he gives Ragnarok a few practice swings.
Gavriel's ears perceive something- A little delay between groups of steps, the sort of delay his hunter training helps him identify, there's clearly one group farther ahead, a long ways, from the main force
Gavriel flicks his ears forward. "…One group rushing to get here first."
Jnezdie: "They want the glory of gettin' their asses kicked first? I'm just willin' enough to oblige 'em."
Gavriel: "…moving very quickly." He's still not at 100%- but something about the experience he had, now that he's recovered from the immediate shock, has lent him surprising focus and clarity.
Jack‘ sighs, rubbing at the bridge of his nose. "There is no need to resort to violence at the moment you hooligans."
Jnezdie: "You sure?"
Jnezdie: "I’m -pretty certain- it can get us outta this."
Jack: "Positive. Assuming Gavriel relieve our associate of that rather large and initimidating lookign firearm."
Jnezdie: "Jack, bro, what -are- you gonna say? 'Sorry we read your whole city and learned about shit like 'stars' like a book?'"
Jnezdie: "I mean, maybe, if we get caught red handed, but I a'int near caught yet."
Jack: "Well there wasn't much on the city at all, we simply needed to find the location of Phoenix so that we might prevent the Heir from destroying the world. Which, if I am not mistaken, the Etherals are somewhat attached to as well."
Argent is just glaring at the door at this rate, waiting for the very second it'll open
But a few moments to spare to thoughts now, just across from the doorway you see them, two ronso clad in violet and silver, trailing behind them a Taru and a Human in the same garb of the imperial guard. "Aprehend them!" they shout- It's acting time, either Argent follows through with her plan, or you attempt something else
Argent: Argent shouts at the entering squad, "FREEZE, FUCKERS! One step, one chant, one casting motion, one -anything- from any of you, and what passes for this cube's brains are painting the FUCKING WALLS!" Argent looks like she's about to shoot-finger on the trigger and everything.
Gavriel glances over at Jack- he is as curious as Jnezdie as to Jack's plans, but by the same token: "…guns in their temple is not the way out of this."
JayM: They don't look like they'll be helpful
Jnezdie: "Ethereals are huntin' us just because we saved a few of their cities!"
Jack‘ shakes his head, walking into the entrance to the room.
JayM: Oh god, this is a somewhat disconcerting situation. So we have Jack heading towards the entrance and Argent threatning, roughly at the same time
The oncoming group staggers for a while, not exactly sure how to react, but does not breaks formation
Jack: "You’ll have to forgive the viera, she's mentally unwell. Thouogh I suyspect if she feels threatened enough she /will/ do something incredibly foolish."
Argent: "Don't even think of moving. ANY of you!" She's watching the group-mentally noting that there will be a need to rearrange the cooking schedule and ask Sarah for some more of her spices
Jack: "I'm not certain if she realizes or not that destroying that crystal will likely result in massive chain reactions that would doom us us all as well, but again I suspect at this point in time she does not care. So, keeping that in mind, I propose we move to parley instead."
JayM: Gavriel: You hold some knowledge of the Ethereal Royal Guard, and one thing you know- The race's inner abilities are often the turning point of their training, the two ronso are definitely Verteidigen, frontline defenders, the human a Gewinnen, a healer, and the Taru a Forcieren, elemental controller… The Royal Guard also employs the Lahmlegen in great numbers- Specialists in wide-area
JayM: paralysis and lockdown, it'd make sense if the group behind is mostly them
The human on the back speaks up, she (from the voice, covered in the white hood and robe as she is it's hard to know) asks "What do you wish?" her voice is calm
Gavriel: "…hn." He glances up at them- looks like he's about to say something, but then Jack starts talking- he hangs back, waiting.
Argent: "Let's put it this way. You let us leave the city unharmed, and I won't perforate this thing right here and now!"
Jnezdie suppresses a laugh, but just barely.
Jack: "Nothing in particular other than to leave. We came seeking information as to the location of Phoenix's resting place, so that we might find her before the Heir of Ultima, as we now have thta information."
[OOC] Jack: -as we +and we
Human: "I do see that you wish to leave, but I find your reasons hard to believe, and impossible to prove. However…"
Jack: "Oh, no it's very possible. IF their Heir is still here you could ask him, he's typically very honest. Even if deranged."
Human: "It is… Not in my hands wether I can… Let you leave or not, but if you would wait until I call upon a superior?"
Jack: "Hahaha, well it's not as if we can do much other than wait!"
Argent: "By all means, run and get one!" Argent's still got that psychotic look on her face
JayM: Clearly, this is called Stalling. But let's say what, with a Charm [TN 7] check you can most definitely make her cave in and let you go before the obvious happens and you're swarmed
JayM: Unless you really wanna just wait
Argent: "Of course, you might just be better off letting us get the hell out NOW!" (no pre-roll, but going for the Charm check)
Gavriel is not terribly good with words- and he used up all his 'don't get caught in the first place' earlier, so this one's all on Jack. [more fucking nothing]
Jnezdie eyes the group, and lets his smile through, but still holds back the laugh. [Dependable: Mental] [Lucky: Mental]
Jack‘ smiles. "I don’t mind, but I think the lady does. Now, while I am more than willing to come back and talk with the people in charge, well. There really are pressing matters of world importance to attend to. If nothing else, it's probably in everyone's best interests to get us out of here as quick as possible, if for entirely different reasons." [Weighted Results, Lucky]
Jack‘ rolled d12 and got 9 ( Total: 9 ) **
d10: 3 [Total: 3 (Low), Avg: 3.00]
Also rolled 4#d8(1) and got 2 [Total: 2 (Low), Avg: 2.00]
Also rolled 4#d8(2) and got 4 [Total: 4 (Low), Avg: 4.00]
Also rolled 4#d8(3) and got 1 [Total: 1 (Min), Avg: 1.00]
Also rolled 4#d8(4) and got 3 [Total: 3 (Low), Avg: 3.00]
Total: 22, Avg: 3.67
JayM: I still think that is a [1/3]
JayM: I almost confused Weighted with DoN
Argent: She looks liek she’s DEAD serious about firing, even… (Do Over: Mental)
Jack‘ rolled d12 and got 3 ( Total: 3 )
d10: 8 [Total: 8 (High), Avg: 8.00]
Also rolled 4#d8(1) and got 7 [Total: 7 (High), Avg: 7.00]
Also rolled 4#d8(2) and got 6 [Total: 6 (High), Avg: 6.00]
Also rolled 4#d8(3) and got 5 [Total: 5 (High), Avg: 5.00]
Also rolled 4#d8(4) and got 8 [Total: 8 (High), Avg: 8.00]
Total: 37, Avg: 6.17
The human is… Nervous when she looks at Argent. Either she fully believes that Argent is a raving lunatic, or she believes that Argent is not in fact bluffing at all. "I… Suppose I can allow you to go…" she looks to the sides, nods to one of the Ronso, who runs upstairs, and she and the other two step aside "Give- Give a moment, he will warn the others, and you can go"
Jnezdie sighs in disappointment.
JayM: It really does take a moment for the Ronso to return, if you even so as wait
Jnezdie: "Alright, well, keep your feet wet." He takes a few steps to limber up, and then runs on past!
Jack` smiles at the human. "Apologies for the trouble. Hopefully th enext visit won’t be so hectic!"
Argent takes the gun and indeed moves past, with that slightly less-than-sane look in her eye all the same.
Gavriel follows Jnezdie, full-tilt.
Jack‘ holds his hands behind his head and walks out after the others.
[OOC] JayM: +5 AP/+1575 XP
Running, Jnezdie has the odd sensation that the human whispered one last word at him… You run forward, and there is something strange as you run up the steairs, you can’t really put your finger on it… Until that little moment, when you're halfway through the stairs, and you realize what that last whisper did to you. Such a soft and nearly unnoticeable spell, so weak too, the best it
JayM: did was muddle your unusual judgement for a moment- Moment enough for you to go far enough up the stairs to realize what what she did not want you to notice is already behind you… Those statues… There weren't any moogle statuses here before
In a rapid motion, the coat of stone surrounding eight of the statuses behind you shatter, the royal guards quickly turning and facing you, cutting your access to the way down again and no longer giving you line of sight to the control room, and ahead of you two guards.
Jack: "Hello! NO, we don't plan on going back down anyway."
JayM: There are two ways to escape, either you shove the ones ahead aside, and possibly at their friends behind with a Strength [TN 5] check or you weave and dodge around them with a Running [TN 6] check
Argent had invested well in making sure her outfit was battle-ready; she was ready to move around and dodge the guards ahead, leaving them in their dust. x2
Jnezdie: "Make way, punks!"
Gavriel roaaaaars, and doesn't slow down! No, he speeds up! [Aptitude: Physical]
Jnezdie charges up the stairs and slithers on through the formation! [Trick] [Double or Nothing]
Jack‘ rolled 2d10+1 and got 6, 8 ( Total: 15.0 ) for don the first
d10: 8 [Total: 8 (High), Avg: 8.00]
Also rolled 3#d8(1) and got 1 [Total: 1 (Min), Avg: 1.00]
Also rolled 3#d8(2) and got 1 [Total: 1 (Min), Avg: 1.00]
Also rolled 3#d8(3) and got 5 [Total: 5 (High), Avg: 5.00]
Total: 30.0, Avg: 4.83
JayM: Which one did you take? I presume you went for the most obviously easy Strength one given none of you used a ’running-specialized' talent
[OOC] JayM: Although everyone mentioned running in description so I actually think you went with the Running check?
[OOC] Argent: Yes, and!
[OOC] Jnezdie: I wanted running lol
[OOC] Jack: we don't have any specs for specific skills but that looks like runnign form every discription
Jack: "Ah, excuse us! Well, you know how children and manners are!"
[OOC] Jnezdie: can't really slither with a tackle haha
Rushing ahead, moving like the wind with an agility that mages aren't used to seeing in close quarters (because when they do, they're usually about to be knocked out) you weave past them and make your way upstairs running as fast as you can, another group of five appears in front of you as you run, but another quick set of movements rapidly take you out of their effective range and before
JayM: they turn around you've already are heading up the last handful of steps- You hesitate of just half of a moment, where IS Sarah you do not hear her footsteps and you know she's not as effectively agile as you are, but simply looking behind you realize she's a half-dozen steps behind you, although extremely tired.
JayM: And of course, in that little moment is everything it takes for directly ahead of you, the single doorway leading back out (you can see the throne room through it) two large Ronso step in the way, covering the entire passageway!
Jack‘ continues apologizing to all the guards they split past and around as they go.
Argent: "Like hell we’re stopping now!"
Jack: "Hello! They already said we could leave, but good on you for making sure everything is secure, Sirs!"
Jnezdie: "Aren't you a little big for a magetrooper!"
JayM: Battle order: Gavriel [B]:0 Argent [F]:2 Jack [B]:3 Sarah [B]:3 Royal Verteidigen Erste [F]:4 Royal Verteidigen Zweite [F]:4 Jnezdie [F]:5 !-Event-! [F]:161
JayM: Victory Condition: Defeat the Verteidigen or successfully use an Escape Action before the Event flag
Jack: "Also I suspect the others are getting a bit viesty so if you wouldn't mind stepping to the side as quickly as possible, that'd be lovely!"
Argent: "Yeah, like they'll fucking listen. Stop being a windbag and do something already!"
Gavriel keeps barrelassing towards them, and he's got a lot of momentum! Do they really want to get bodyslammed by a Varg? LOOKS LIKE THEY DO. SLAM! [Escape, CT 10. Where 'CT' is 'bodyslamming the assholes'.]
Jack: "Haha, all they've DONE is listen you shrew!"
No Ronso is afraid of a running Varg, they both point their hands towards the ground "Paralysis Field!"
[OOC] JayM: -40 CoS to Escape Actions
JayM: Argent!
Argent: "Diplomacy's off the table now!" And Argent rushes in, having stowed the gun, with fists and feet flying in a furious fervent flurry. [Pummel, 31D]
Jack: "Diplomacy is NEVER off the table you phoenix forsaken rabbit!"
Argent rolled 2#d100(1) and got 17 ( Total: 17 ) for Verteidigen Erste
Also rolled 2#d100(2) and got 33 [Total: 33 (Low), Avg: 33.00]
Total: 50, Avg: 25.00
JayM: That'd be two hits
Argent rolled 2#1d8+130(1) and got 2 ( Total: 132.0 )
Also rolled 2#1d8+130(2) and got 3 [Total: 133.0 (Low), Avg: 3.00]
Total: 265.0, Avg: 2.50
Argent's fists connect first with this suddenly-appearing blood-red shield before striking against the Verteidigen, they connect dealing [132] and [133]
JayM rolled 1d100 and got 100 ( Total: 100 )
JayM: Jack!
Jack‘ shakes his head. "When you get thrown into a cell because you insistanted on resorting to violence don’t say you were not warned!" Jack's no slowin' down. [CT10]
Argent: "By the way, Jack, if I wanted everyone to know what I was, why would I be wearing this hat?" Glare.
Sarah just shakes her head and keeps running "S-save it for later!" [CT10]
JayM: Battle order: Royal Verteidigen Erste [F]:0 Royal Verteidigen Zweite [F]:0 Jnezdie [F]:1 Gavriel [B]:6 Jack [B]:9 Sarah [B]:9 Argent [F]:29 !-Event-! [F]:157
Jack: "You may as well wear a sign across yoru chest that says you are a mole man for all the good it does you!"
Verteidigen Erste points a hand towards Zweite "By the thread of like I hold you close. Verdant Sacrifice!" [Verdant Sacrifice(Sentinel)]
Verteidigen Zweite points a hand towards Erste "By the thread of like I hold you close. Verdant Sacrifice!" [Verdant Sacrifice(Sentinel)]
JayM: Jnezdie!
[OOC] JayM: Like? Ugh, typo. That's meant to be Life
Jnezdie snaps his fingers to an unheard beat and water gathers around his legs. The water flows up and around him, into the air, across the ground, making dozens of square panels. The funky beat slowly comes into everyone's hearing, a smooth groove, and the watery panels emit soothing colors of purple, pink, blue, white, and start flashing! [Rank 2 limit break, 44D]
Jnezdie rolled 2d100 and got 36, 53 ( Total: 89 ) for 80 CoS Charm (6), ignores resistances
JayM: Well, you're certainly charming, Jnezdie
Argent: "…Okay. Seriously. What. The. Fuck."
Jack: "FAHAHAHAHAH! WONDERFUL ANGELIC, JNEZDIE!"
Jnezdie: "I knew you'd like it! I listened to some stuff on that little music thing Sarah gave you!"
Sarah: "That… Is pretty amazing, Jnezdie!"
Jnezdie: "Let this groove, get you to move, it's alright! Alright!"
Jnezdie: "All-ll-llright!"
The two Ronso sing together with Jnezdie, dancing as well
Argent: "…I've officially gone mad."
Gavriel stops trying to struggle his way through the living roadblock (as doing so is no longer necessary) to boggle at Jnezdie. O_
Jnezdie: "Hey Ronso dudes! Think you could lift the paralysis field? It's messing up your dancing!"
One of them snaps his fingers, and the paralysis field vanishes, grinning rather dumbly
Jnezdie: "Awesome. Hey, shuffle on to the side!"
Jnezdie: "Everyone, groove on through!"
Jack‘ spins in place as he runs, then shuffles backwards out of the hallway in time with the music.
This gives the party a chance to continue running forward! Leaving the two dancing Ronso behind (who, hilariously enough, use their paralysis fields to delay the OTHER pursuers, talk about perfect ability usage)
JayM: Can you all keep with the rythm?
Argent: "…fuck this shit, I’m out of here." Argent doesn't bother with anything related to the music, instead just rushing out ASAP
Jnezdie dances towards the doorway, and then makes a break for it!
Gavriel might… might be boogieing. A little. Very quickly, and in the direction of 'away from here'.
Rushing onwards, you're faced with- Yet another gauntlet. The throne room and meeting hall form a straight line, and the throne room has no other exits than heading directly towards the hall. And surprise surprise, there is a real batallion of mages waiting for you, forcing you to dive behind cover, unless you want a veritable rainbow of elements to strike at you. There's sufficient magic
JayM: being thrown in your direaction that you cannot move forward as it is
JayM: However, if you take this patiently yet being sufficiently bold, and stick to your cover and use mostly ranged offense, you can probably punch through with a Determination [TN 5] check
Jack: "HELLO! YOU CAN STOP FIRING NOW SO WE CAN GET TO THE DOOR AND GET OUT OF YOUR HAIR!"
Sarah winces, drawing out a handful of white pills, and swallowing them all at once "I don't think they want us to"
JayM: Sarah has entered 'White Charge' mode, what means that she now has meaningful talents to contribute to the next few checks
Gavriel dives and rolls for cover, his momentum- and tension- broken, patiently waiting- barking orders to his teammates, trying to avoid direct confrontation- but he's not backing down! [no preroll]
Argent: "Tch, like I'm going to sit down and give up now!" Argent takes one of the other guns that she stole previously, firing off a few well-placed shots to try to disrupt the worst of the casters. [Finesse:Determination]
Jnezdie gives a quick glance to Sarah- then doubletakes, but doesn't protest.
Jnezdie: "Hehehe… don't worry, mages are pretty bad at physical formations! We can get through without injuring -most- of them!" [Expertise: Determination] [Dependable] [Lucky]
Sarah remains behind cover, waiting patiently- Something tells Jnezdie this is not her first time in such a situation [No pre-roll]
Jack: "DO TAKE NOTE THAT GUNS ARE PARTICULARLY LACK LUSTER FOR POWER, WE" ll BE OUT SOON! "
Argent: "Fuck off, Jack!"
Jack: "I'm not speeking to you, Argent! I WAS SIMPLYING INFORMING OUR MISINFORMED FREIDNS THAT WE MEAN NO REAL HARM AND ARE JUST PASSING THROUGH!"
[OOC] Jack: Weighted
Jack‘ rolled 2d6 and got 3, 4 ( Total: 7 )
d12: 5 [Total: 5 (Low), Avg: 5.00]
d10: 7 [Total: 7 (High), Avg: 7.00]
Total: 19, Avg: 4.75
Jack` rolled 3#d8(1) and got 8 ( Total: 8 )
Also rolled 3#d8(2) and got 2 [Total: 2 (Low), Avg: 2.00]
Also rolled 3#d8(3) and got 5 [Total: 5 (High), Avg: 5.00]
d6: 3 [Total: 3 (Low), Avg: 3.00]
Total: 18, Avg: 4.50
Jnezdie: "(Jack you are spilling the trade secrets of the Material Kingdom! They use a lot of guns!!!)" Doesn’t take an Elvaan to notice that he's being incredibly facetious.
Argent sighs in annoyance, firing off a few more shots to break their formation and force their assailants into a more defensive position.
Jack: "Gahaha."
Gavriel mumbles under his breath: "(He's right, besides. They're for neat tricks and suppressive fire, everyone knows that.)" Which, of course, is exactly what he and Argent are using them for, to break their defense so they can escape!
A lot of shot traded back and forth, and not too much success until- It's up to Jnezdie make the one final push. Rushing through at incredible speed he takes to the front line, quickly reaching a particular gathering of mages, and with a pair of mighty shoves he comes out considerably hurt, but that little piece of bravery creates your pathway out of this mess, allowing you to make a
JayM: break for it, using the bottleneck of the doorway to cover your further escape
[OOC] JayM: +3 AP/+1050 XP
Argent rushes through the gap, clubbing a nearby caster in the head with the butt of her rifle before stowing it on the run.
Argent: to be fair, he was trying to get in the way.
Jack: "GIVE OUR REGARDS TO THE COMMANDERS AND ROYAL FAMILY, WE" VE HAD A LOVELY TIME IN THE ETHERAL KINDGOM, MAGIC BOMBARDMENTS ASIDE! SEE YOU NEXT TIME AND APOLOGIES FOR THE RUCKAS ONCE AGAIN, GOOD FELLOWS! "
Running onwards, you end up in the meeting hall, there are only a handful of opponents here, all civilians and royals have been evacuated already. There's enough maneuvering room and at least seven different ways out… Sarah staggers for a moment
Jack‘ grabs Sarah by the hand and swoops her up into his arms with a grunt.
Sarah: "What- Which way do we take out?" she looks at you "Either the front doors or the stables!"
Jnezdie: "Stables have mounts!"
Jnezdie has that feeling- That her first few words were not talking to any of you
Sarah points one of the exits "That way!"
Jnezdie winks to Sarah!
Jack: "Works for me!"
Argent: "Stables, yes. We could use the mobility."
Jnezdie screeeeeech-turns to Sarah’s pointing direction, hustling doubletime!
JayM: That will, however, require a Navigation [TN 6] check. You're going to make it, wether you make it with just one or two pursuers or with half the royal guard…
Jnezdie smells his way to the stables! [Aptitude]
Gavriel was bringing up the rear- and took a few shots from the mages as well, but he's not letting that stop him, following, building up momentum again - it'll be a while until they can slow down! [Aptitude]
Argent has an instinctual knack for finding paths through things. Or is it just dumb luck? Who knows? [Lucky:Wilderness]
Jack‘ rolled 2#d8+1(1) and got 6 ( Total: 7.0 )
Also rolled 2#d8+1(2) and got 8 [Total: 9.0 (High), Avg: 8.00]
Also rolled 4#d8(1) and got 1 [Total: 1 (Min), Avg: 1.00]
Also rolled 4#d8(2) and got 1 [Total: 1 (Min), Avg: 1.00]
Also rolled 4#d8(3) and got 7 [Total: 7 (High), Avg: 7.00]
Also rolled 4#d8(4) and got 2 [Total: 2 (Low), Avg: 2.00]
Total: 27.0, Avg: 4.17
[OOC] JayM: +4 AP/+1312 XP
Argent finds a roundabout way to force the guards to split up a -lot-, wasting manpower to search
Moving here and there, making needless curves and heading up and down stairs the pursuing guards are lost for the moment, although you’re very sure you're going to have very little time of peace. You make your ways to the stables, they're a large construction whose walls have been painted or otherwise covered and enchanted to look like outdoors, to make the chocobos more calm. There are
JayM: many birds here, of various colors except. It's known as the colors of a bird's feathers will indicate special abilities, there are many with red feathers and surprisingly, only four with yellow feathers, although those ones have some monstrously strong legs-
JayM: And speaking of the four yellow-feathered ones
As you run you accidentally run INTO somebody- You hear the loud clanging of steel hitting the floor, and 'looking' at you and seeming quite annoyed is a suit of armor, headless (since the helmet is now on the floor), hands in it's hips "Yes, please. Let's play volleyball with the Yuke's head, it's funny!"
Jack: "Ah, pardon us we're in a bit of a hurry!"
Argent: "…ugh. Like I was planning on this." Argent retorts sarcastically.
Jnezdie: "Oh fuck I didn't just kill that gu-"
Jnezdie: "…"
Jnezdie: "Dude, where's your head?"
Jack: "Down on the ground of course!"
It continues to keep facing you "Well, how should I know?! You knocked it off and I can't see!"
Jnezdie: "…"
JayM: It's obvious it wants you to return it, it slid just over there
Jnezdie passes a hand right through the area where his head is supposed to be.
JayM: Nothing at all
Jnezdie: "…do your arms come off too?"
JayM: And the armor is empty! Although- The darkness inside seems almost material
Jack: "The least you could do it pick it up for the man, I've got Sarah in mine! And then we really ought to be off."
Gavriel slows down- doubletakes- steps over to the helmet, picks it up, steps over to the… suit of armour, glances at Jack and Jnezdie.
Argent: "Just put its helmet back on."
Gavriel proceeds to hand it to him, looking a bit confused.
Jnezdie: "Argent, seriously, you're not the least bit curious about this?"
Jnezdie: "Sorry, guy, don't mind her."
Jnezdie: "Ragnarok, not gonna lie, I'm not sure what the deal is here."
The suit of armor is tapping it's feet. It picks up it's helmet from Gavriel's hand, and adjusts it back "Ah, much better. I'm a Yuke a… Magical… Golem, yes, yes. Called Eldanor"
Argent: "See, it's magical stuff."
Jnezdie: "Like you know anything about magic!"
Jnezdie: "Awesome, Eldanor! I'm Jnezdie. Kinda in a hurry though."
Eldanor: "Now, if you would" he points to the yellow chocobos, they're pretty large, the size of large usually reserved for Galka, slightly too small for Jack "Get on them and go"
Sarah has her head tilted to the side looking at it "Hm…"
Jack: "Thank you kindly!" Jack heads on over and mounts up.
Jnezdie glances at Sarah, then back to the Yuke. "Okay, gotcha."
Jack: "Ah, yes! I am Jack!"
Jnezdie: "Take care, man!"
Argent: "Yes, let's. Follow me, Sarah." Argent mounts up on one of the yellows, motioning for Sarah to ride behind her
Eldanor: "I know"
Jnezdie charges back to the chocobos, hopping up on a yellow's back!
Gavriel tilts his head to the side, chuffs pleasantly by way of response. The thought crosses his mind that they're being told to take these chocobos for a specific reason, but- he mounts, regardless. "…thank you, Eldanor."
As Jack mounts, his bird doesn't buckles or even acknowledges his weight. It doesn't makes a sound and remains perfectly still. Sarah mounts behind Argent, and all of your birds have exactly the same reaction, they remain perfectly still, almost unresponsive. Although once you give it the command to go, they start running full tilt
JayM: You've never seen a bird actually accelerate this fast
And just as you get outside through the stables… You realize you have something tailing you, six more mages, riding black birds
Jnezdie: "Whoa!" A wild grin creeps across Jnezdie's face as he leans forward, ducking to cut down on wind resistance, but he's pretty sure the chocobo doesn't notice!
Sarah: "… Wait- Did I miss something…" she looks around, looks down "HMA birds? Wait- I spaced out, who gave those to you?"
Jnezdie: "Eldanor!"
Jack: "Hmm?"
Gavriel: "What's that mean when it's at home?"
Jnezdie: "He was gonna lose his head over it, but we talked him out of it."
Jnezdie: "I assumed you knew him, really."
Jack: "…Gahahaha."
Argent: "HMA?! We can wait for the explanation, we've got company!"
Sarah puts a hand on the birds's flank, ruffling it's feathers… "Sol breed…" she looks at Gavriel "Specially bred and trained birds to carry artillery pieces on the backs, HMA stants for Hyper Mobility Artillery"
Argent: "Well then!"
Jnezdie: "Well they're doin' their job, carryin' the two most dangerous guns outta all the kingdoms!" He flexes. He went there.
Argent: "…"
Jnezdie: "Nah I'm just kiddin'."
Argent: "…that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard."
Sarah: "Spur them on, they can handle running for a long time- Take the north exit out of the city, take the road towards Ireniades!" "
Jnezdie: "(They're more like pikes.)"
Jack: "Right-o!"
Sarah: "We've come up with a plan, we can use the HW Field artifact there to loose any track"
Gavriel stares at Jnezdie, and utterly fails to bite back a roar of laughter, urging his chocobo on! "Got it, Sarah!"
Jnezdie: "Let's go, Boco!" He just named his chocobo, urging it on with a click of the reins and a tighter leg grip on the bird!
Argent: "Right, let's go then!" And Argent shouts as she moves to spur the bird onward.
The birds run with a vigor you've never seen before
JayM: This will require an Animal Handling [TN 3]
Jnezdie knows animals! [Aptitude]
Argent: Argent leaves this up to luck once more. Seems to help with navigation well enough, at least. [Lucky]
Jack‘ rolled 2#d8+1(1) and got 8 ( Total: 9.0 )
Also rolled 2#d8+1(2) and got 5 [Total: 6.0 (High), Avg: 5.00]
Also rolled 4#d8(1) and got 7 [Total: 7 (High), Avg: 7.00]
Also rolled 4#d8(2) and got 1 [Total: 1 (Min), Avg: 1.00]
Also rolled 4#d8(3) and got 2 [Total: 2 (Low), Avg: 2.00]
Also rolled 4#d8(4) and got 6 [Total: 6 (High), Avg: 6.00]
Total: 31.0, Avg: 4.83
You rush your birds forward… But you can’t seem to shake your pursuers off at all! Interestingly, you've only ever heard of some birds in heroic tales who've survived an entire Pass running, generally to bring an important message… And perhaps to your own surprise, as you frantically try to outrun your pursuers you realize, eventually, that that's for how much you've been running,
JayM: your birds have been running for a while Pass, while your pursuers, well, they've been tagging in the pursue using teleport magic, taking turns to remain hot on your trail, but this is becoming absurd even for such a bold magical tactic, each time they need to tag out you gain a little bit more of terrain on them and, eventually, you gain a fair few Waves of distance from them
JayM: But the way your birds have been running like behemoths and uncaring for the terrain, given speed was of more import here, you've left a somewhat obvious trail, and in the snowy plains of the north, really, it's hard NOT to leave a trail
About now, however, whichever one of you ever rode know that your birds will probably end up dead long before you even get near your destination at this rate, they need to stop and rest, although tye don't seem to show signs of fatigue
Argent: "…shit, this can't keep up forever."
Jnezdie: "That's far enough, I think. Should give these mighty birds a bit of a breather, eh?"
JayM: It's probably going to take you at least two more Passes to reach the destination Sarah mentioned if you keep a sane pace, half the time if you keep up the run you've kept up to now
Sarah, unsurprisingly, has fallen asleep in the saddle
Gavriel: "We… lead our pursuers off… leave them tied up behind a rock… how's that sound?"
Jack‘ doesn’t really have much of an issue slowing down at this point.
Argent: "Let's find some shelter. Preferably something we can't leave obvious tracks to. We rest until the birds are fine, and then continue onward."
Jnezdie: "Hmm…"
JayM: There is some shelter, a small clustering of tall pine trees around a tiny lake, there's a fair bit of animal activity around, given the tracks, so disguising your own among the animal trails would be easy
Argent: "That should be decent enough." Argent rides for there. "Let's secure the birds."
Gavriel: "…or perhaps that won't be necessary." He heads in the direction of the shelter.
Once you make your way to the shelter, you realize- Jnezdie those birds aren't normal, they simply not tired, their claws are not even mildly wounded from the dangers of the terrain, haven't shed a single feather to a rogue tree branch- You don't even see them breathing heavily and, in fact, they feel kind of cold
JayM: However, you earned yourselves a moment of respite
Jnezdie: "Man… don't tell anyone but I think I'm way more tired than Boco here." He slides off his chocobo once he gets it to crouch, leaning against it slightly.
Argent cracks her neck, surveying the area.
Gavriel keeps peering at the chocobos. His initial impression was right- just… in the opposite way from what he'd expected. "You're not going to hear me complaining."
Jack: "Hrmrmrmrmm"
Jnezdie: "And escapin' the Ethereal Kingdom's grasp from the heart of the Almagest Ancestral is one of the lesser tiring things I've done since we left the temple."
Argent checks over the varied weapons she used, making sure they're still in perfectly good shape.
JayM: Perfectly good shape!
Jack‘ nods to Jnezdie, then goes to get a drink.
JayM: Although, Argent- Something on your dress is slightly different- It seems to almost move with a mind of it’s own now, following your movements- It's certainly not due to your modifications to the Balmung's Gown that it's been unobstrusive
Jnezdie pulls out Ragnarok. "And that's how it's done. I hope you took notes. It's okay if you didn't because I can see us doin' it again someday, just 'cause people have short memories."
Argent: "(…tch. What's with this damn thing anyway…)" Argent mutters to herself as she notes the outfit's movements below the armored plating
Jnezdie exhales, sheathes Ragnarok, and trundles on over to take a drink from the lake as well, rolling onto his back once he's done.
JayM: It's cool
Gavriel glances at Jnezdie. "…wonder how many people you could get dancing with that… thing you did. If we ever had to do something like that again."
Sarah snoozes lightly, just barely napping
Jnezdie: "Ten… twenty… who knows. Just get all'a them together and get 'em dancin'."
Gavriel: "Just… out of purely practical curiosity."
Jnezdie: "I don't think it'll work against -everyone-…" He pauses, not saying 'Argent,' "…but hey, spur-of-the-moment."
Gavriel is flopped against a tree trunk, catching his breath. "'like there's nobody watching', right?"
Jnezdie: "You know it!" He grins.
Argent: "…tch…" Argent's busy cleaning out the rifle she used to help break formation during the escape
Jnezdie: "Soooooooooooo… who wants to talk about the planet and how small it is in the grand notion of space?"
Jnezdie: "Probably a bad idea right now, though."
Jnezdie: "I mean, I'd rather be in a warm bed at TT before I start thinkin' things that are way bigger than I am."
Jnezdie: "And, mind, I'm pretty big."
Gavriel turns to peer at Jnezdie. "I do not think I got that memo."
Jnezdie: "But… damn."
Jnezdie: "…y'didn't?"
Jack‘ makes a shrugging motion.
Gavriel shakes his head, slowly. "I… no." He frowns.
Jnezdie: "I don’t see how you couldn't, man- I am… that is what I remember from the… Great Link."
Jnezdie: "Please tell me I a'int alone in this. Y'd all start calling me crazy. Some of you more than usual. And Sarah's asleep so she can't back me up."
Jnezdie: "And it is -pretty cold- so nobody would want to cuddle up with a crazy man.n"
Jack: "Haha, nope! Just the location of the lady Phoenix."
Argent quirks an eyebrow. "Probably wouldn't call you crazy for onnce. I got equally screwed-up stuff from that cube. Different subject, equally crazy, likely something Sarah would know more about."
Gavriel: "I remember… about the Great Link. About how she's…" -he nods towards Sarah- "…from somewhere else. But…"
Jnezdie: "…oh. I feel a bit better, then."
Gavriel: "Besides, at this point, we're all crazy together, anyways."
Jnezdie: "Also more than a little confused, I guess."
Jnezdie: "It all makes sense in my head but uh. Seems we all were lookin' up something different, then."
Argent: "Eh, point is that we've got what we came for. And a good deal more, apparently."
Jnezdie: "Seriously?"
Jnezdie: "I'm talking about something on the scale of…how best can I put this."
Jnezdie: "Okay, here's the sense of scale we're dealin' with. We're a speck on a snowflake. And Tempestaria is the snowflake. That's this [planet.] I don't know if that made sense to y'all."
Jnezdie: "And all of [space] is basically the size of all the kingdoms put together and past that and even farther past that and the whole size of Tempestaria and even bigger, and even then that's kinda on the small side."
Argent: "Right. We're small, place we're in is a shit-ton bigger than we imagined."
Jack‘ makes a shrugging motion. "Well, ’things around us are large' ins't, hmm, well, that big (haha) of a feveal until we have more knowledhe of them, no? A neighboring town isn't much without tales of the goings on form there is it?"
Jnezdie: "I got a -real good imagination- though."
Jnezdie: "I've seen beyond the clouds!" "
Jack: "Was there anything interesting to see?"
Argent continues on her weapon maintenance quest. Now checking the connections and whatnot on the coilgun to make sure nothing got damaged from being set up to fire so long without…actually having fired.
Jnezdie: "You know it! Y'see there's these three [stars]- big burning balls of energy!"
Jack: "Hrmrmrm."
Jnezdie: "Kinda yellow, really hot, and Tempestaria is -so strong- that it's got the three stars orbiting the planet, caught in the grasp of the force -within- Tempestaria itself!"
Jnezdie: "So it's like- beyond the clouds, and inside the planet itself!"
Jnezdie: "Oh, man."
Jnezdie: "I gotta say though. Past those stars? Black."
Jnezdie: "The sky is as black as you could ever imagine…"
Jnezdie: "…but it's beautiful, man."
Jnezdie: "You can see other stars, far off… way, way, far off. Tiny specks of light in the black backdrop."
Argent: "…hm." Argent looks over the lake-does it look frozen-over?
Jnezdie: "Some of the sky is a faint blue, or is it just my imagination? Patterns, and just… endless and endless and endless. I don't know if it ever stops."
Gavriel has been quiet, listening to Jnezdie, eye closed- finally, it opens. "…I'd like to have seen that."
Jnezdie nods seriously to Gavriel. "I can see it when I close my eyes and think, and I want to see, experience it again."
JayM: Nope, Argent
Gavriel grins, a little- glances at Sarah. "I wonder if… do you think…"
Gavriel: "…there are other [planets], out there. And I think people live on them."
Argent: "…were it not for the fact that we all got odd visions," Argent comments as she grabs a suitably large stick from the surroundings and some string from her pack, making an impromptu fishing pole, "I'd have thought it was those viera drugs somehow kicking back up on you guys."
Jnezdie shoots up from his laying position.
Jnezdie: "Gav, keep talkin'."
Gavriel: "And I think she's from one of those other [planets]. She's… like us but different. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me- doesn't really bother me, either. Sarah's Sarah. Was… weird, though. Being part of that- everything- and thinking about Sarah, and not having any idea what she was other than vague old memories."
Gavriel: "She's not… from here." He leans back, stares into the clouds. "…[stars], and [planets], and… people actually living on… how -many-… that's just."
Argent: "I just got to hear about all sorts of crazy shit about the water."
Jnezdie: "Well… yeah, she's not -from- here, but… she's from another [-planet-]? Like, 'out in [space]' planet? There are other ones?"
Gavriel: "She's different. It's- there was a [Blight], that everyone ran away from, but it changed into the [Angelic Blight], which is what's here, and… something different must have happened, with Sarah's people. I don't know. It's like trying to read a text on advanced construction when you don't know the basics!" He scowls- turns to Jnezdie.
Argent: "…that [Deaspected Angelic Blight] stuff again, huh?"
Gavriel: "-yeah, there are other [planets]. I, uh… huh." He turns towards Argent, eyebrow raised.
Jnezdie turns to look at Argent. "…huh?"
Argent: "Basically, everyone from here as far as I can tell is filled with these [Angelic Blight] cells. Actually, not just everyone, but everything as well."
Jnezdie staaaaaaaaaares.
Jnezdie: "Well that's just outright odd."
Gavriel stares at his paw, frowns. "…hn. If Sarah's different, I wonder if that's why… hn." He peers in her direction. She's probably got answers, but like hell is he gonna wake her up.
Argent ties a lure to the string, before casting it into the lake
The light splash of the lure into the lake seems to be that one sound, the one sound that makes Sarah open up her eyes "Uhm…" she shakes her head slightly "Oh- We've stopped"
Argent: "Only until the birds are rested up."
Sarah stretches slightly, looking up "I'll- Work on that in a moment" she is groggy for a while "Did we loose them?"
Argent: "Not completely, but they're far enough behind for the time being."
Jnezdie: "Yeah, we can't stay too long, but uh. Otherwise these are some -strong- 'bos."
Sarah stands up, slowly "Hrm… We're so close… I guess it's no use hiding this" she walks over to noe of the birds "They won't be really 'rested' unless we do one thing, but we have to do that right before we go"
Sarah: "We're going to give off our position when we do that"
Gavriel glances up at Sarah, smiles. "Are you well?" He quirks his head to the side- raises an eyebrow.
Argent: "…Right then."
Argent: "So basically, the sooner the better."
Sarah takes a deep breath "I am! Just… tired, the backdraft of the white pills"
Jnezdie: "Well, give us a few more Palms, at least."
Sarah waves people closer "Let me show you"
Argent: "Jnezdie, we're better off going now if we can, and Sarah says we practically can."
Jnezdie hoists himself to his feet, waving at Argent as he walks over to Sarah. "Yeah, yeah."
Argent tosses the rest of the rod into the lake before moving to Sarah.
Sarah waits until people are closer to one of the birds, she puts a hand on it's back "Here… Those are special birds, 'Sol breed' as they are called… We only brought seven of them"
Argent: "And the Ethereals got their hands on four of them."
Gavriel makes a 'aha' face.
Jnezdie: "I get the feelin' they were sold to the Ethereals."
Argent grumbles about pirates
Jnezdie: "Or whatever, the whole… sellin' to both sides thing, whatever, thing, yeah."
She makes an odd movement, as if pressing against it's back "They're not really a breed they're-" and literally, a panel opens up on the back of the bird "-machines, artillery support units, meant to assist the actual birds"
Jnezdie makes a o_o face at the panel when it appears.
Sarah: "Actually, uhn, Eldanor is a a diplomat from home. I was told he was going to secure our escape"
Jnezdie: "This really shouldn't surprise me anymore, but dangit, it keeps happening."
Argent quirks an eyebrow. "Cleverly disguised, huh-ah. That explains why he wasn't hostile."
Sarah points, and there are three cylindric devices, one of them is crimson red, BURNING hot, so much you feel the heat "Those are heat sinks, we've been redlining- running beyond their safety limits. We need to take off the hot ones but"
Sarah: "It's raining, and there's slush. As soon as it hits the ground… Huge cloud of vapor"
Gavriel isn't even -surprised-. (Actually, that's a lie; he just manages to not -look- surprised.) "Well done. Escape… could have used a bit more securing, but… we've got fast talkers and irresistable dance moves on our side, it seems, so we managed to make it out."
Argent: "…yeah, this isn't the first time I've taken untouchably hot things out of machines before."
Jnezdie: "So… you're saying these birds- machines are from another planet?" He gives a sly grin to Sarah.
Sarah blinks "Wh- What'd you say?"
Gavriel glances at Sarah, watching her reaction.
Jnezdie leaaaaaaaaans forward, lifting up one of Sarah's droopy bangaa ears, grinning wider. "I asked… if these machines, were from another planet."
Jnezdie slowly lowers the ear.
Argent: "Long story short, Sarah, we've been discussing what we got from that Great Link back in the Ancestral Control."
Sarah blinks, unsure "Uhn- Y-yes. They're are"
Jnezdie silently mouths "(c'mon, c'mon…)"
Jnezdie: "YES!"
Sarah: "R-really? What'd you learn?"
Jnezdie shoots both fists into the air, turning to the lake, hopping about like a madman.
Jnezdie: "YES! YES!"
Sarah is lightly startled at Jnezdie's sudden outburst
Gavriel completely fails to prevent one corner of his mouth from twisting up into a silly grin at Jnezdie's antics, chuckling lightly. "Told you, Jnez."
Argent: "Yeah. I got a lot of stuff about [Deaspected Angelic Blight] cells shoved in my head. And non-deaspected ones as well."
Jnezdie: "GET SOME! GET ON WIT' IT!"
Jnezdie: "WE'RE GOIN'!"
Sarah: "… Oh, so you know… Well, that's better"
Argent eyerolls at Jnezdie's behavior.
Jnezdie: "ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, Sarah, Sarah, Sarah. We're so goin'."
Jnezdie hops back towards the group.
Jack‘ wakes up with a sudden start - when’d he pass out? - staring at Jnezdie.
Argent: "…let's just go before he makes more of an ass of himself. We can probably discuss what we learned more when we get to our destination."
Gavriel: "Yeah, I think we probably knocked a glass or two off the pitchers of water you're gonna go through explaining stuff to us once we can catch our breath long enough." He smiles at Sarah, warmly. Terrifying unknown alien or not, her reactions there were just as adorable as he thought they'd be. (What, that's totally why he was watching.)
Sarah nods "Since… Since it might be good to be prepared- Argent"
Jnezdie: "Y' can keep each little gil you were gonna pay us for this whole mission- I gotta get back into space. Another planet. So goin'."
Sarah: "When we go through the HW Field you might… Want to brace for some pain. I'm not sure, Tempestarian Viera are different from the ones from my homeworld, but I still think that crossing that artifact might be a little painful"
Sarah looks at Jnezdie, and smiles "If everything works out alright in the end, I might be able of taking you all for a trip on the Gallant Knight, or at the very least on my Dis Astranagant"
Argent: "Right. Just warn me if I'm about to suddenly lose control over my body from it. Don't need to break more things in my hands again."
Gavriel earperks like a pup. It's shameful, really.
Sarah just shakes her head "Just a little headache, I think"
Sarah takes a deep breath "Whenever you're ready to leave, just take off the full heat sinks on the birds, they come with spares already installed"
Argent nods.
Gavriel nods, glances to Jack and Jnezdie. Powernaps over?
Jack: "Eh? Ah, more machines! How delightful."
Jnezdie grins wildly, hugging Gav. And Jack. And Sarah. Waves happily to Argent.
Sarah is surprisngly hugged! And hugs back, why not?!
Argent: Argent quirks an eyebrow at the happy waving.
Jnezdie tilts his head, opening his arms up in hug position. Is she brave!?
Gavriel ruffles Jnezdie's hair relentlessly.
Argent: "Yeah, no, not doing that." Argent moves over to her HMA bird, ready to grab the safe-to-touch part of the heat sink.
Jnezdie: "Awwwwwwwwwwwwww. That was the mood right there, that you just killed." He hops over to Boco, opening up his panel, and prepares to toss the heat sink into the snow!
JayM: A rapid motion, and you got the heat sink ejected. You need to toss it somewhere, in the lake, all four will drain two thirds of the lake in vapor, on the ground, it will flash-boil the water on the slush
Argent throws the heat sink onto the ground-best to not evaporate the damn lake and send MORE of a signal.
Jnezdie hurls it towards the lake!
Gavriel would be lying if he even tried to insinuate he wasn't excited about what they saw- bewildered, confused, interested- that there's more out there than two kingdoms that've never stopped fighting- He tromps towards his chocobot, popping the heatsink.
JayM: Easy enough, there's no need to replace as it's obvious there is a second and third heatsink on them, slightly warm but not nearly as hot as the other
Argent: "With that done." Argent comments, "let's move!" And she urges the mechabo onward.
And the party is once again on the move. Thankfully it's- Moderately uneventful your trip northwards. There is one situation in particular, when a pair of Frost Ochus decided that the party was a good snack, that took a while to resolve. It was just time-taking however as you had that combat on lockdown from the start, the plants being particularly weak, just requiring a lot of beatdown
Gavriel is damn good at suppressive fire, thankyouverymuch.
Argent in fact gave them a hell of a beatdown. Some particularly astute might note how her strikes seem to hit more like some of the heavier weapons at this point…
Jnezdie continues to coach Ragnarok as he gives the Ochus a thrashing!
And then you can see further ahead… The lights of Ireniades… From hear you can hear the humming in the air from the arcana and chants coming from the city as you approach, the city of craftsmen is always abustle with action, and the echoes of their craft reach even this far out
JayM: And yet, that is not the most amazing sight. As your bird are spurged forward… You see ahead of a hole in the ground, a massive hole at least 10m of diameter. Even from this far distance, thanks to being on a hill, you can see inside the hole- It's the sky, seen from below. And trees and boxes, also seen from below. A hole from the ground to the ground on the other side
Argent: "…The fuck?!"
Jack: "A hole of some sort."
And around the hole is a miniature fortress, it's not the most effective sort but it can delay attackers- This place was never meant to even SEE war, but it has token defenses in the case of a thief or something. The place is stacked with crates being carried with float spells, it's like a giant warehouse where goods wait before they are thrown into the hole
Argent: "Well yeah, of course it's a hole."
Sarah looks at it "I wonder if they even know how it works…"
Jnezdie: "They're just chuckin' stuff into the hole."
Jnezdie: "…"
Jnezdie: "I'm guessin' we're not taking hole transportation, though."
Gavriel glances it over. "…probably not. Or they call it 'magic' and decide that what isn't broken, they oughtn't fix."
Jnezdie: "I mean I'm not sure where it -goes- really but uh."
Argent: "…wonder if it's not so much a hole down as much as a hole 'across'…"
Sarah: "Well, it would be dangerous to work it without knowing how it works but…" she looks at Jnezdie "It doesn't matters, i'll- Try at least, to change where it goes"
Argent: "…that answers my suspicions."
Sarah: "we need to get in close, see that?" she points to a type of panel "I ned to get there and… And hope that whatever nature did to make this artifact work is something I can decypher, because for all I know it's not supposed to work"
Jnezdie: "…sure thing!"
Jnezdie: "Uh."
Jnezdie: "Sarah."
Jnezdie: "We love you, but."
Argent: "Right then." Argent looks over-how well-manned does this fortress look?
Sarah: "Hrm… Y-yes?"
Jnezdie: "Is there -anything- we should know before jumping into the hole. Like- 'oh by the way you'll be bombarded with the terrible secret of space before coming out the other end.'"
JayM: Not at all well-manned aside from workers. Mind, even Ethereal workers can put up a major fight even if their spells aren't optimized for combat, and if they tried they'd probably run out of juice quick, but
Sarah: "Hrm… No, it transports you through space, it's a magitek device it- I can't even begin to explain how fifth-dimensional movement works but it uses that and teleport magic together…"
Sarah: "Well… My people… We use that sort of technology, but it does not works here because of… Technical difficulties. Somehow, that works, and is stable and safe, we've sent agents to test beforehand. I just need to change the exit coordinates"
Argent: "…So in a sense, I was right. It does go across."
Jnezdie staaaaaaaaaares at Sarah, sizing her up. He then nods once.
Jnezdie: "Okay."
Sarah: "The… The space we're going to transition, however… It has an… Energy echo"
Gavriel: "And you'll be able to set it back, once we've gone through?"
Argent: "…this is where it's going to suck to be me, isn't it."
Sarah: "It's something that only someone with machinery in their bodies… And Viera… Can hear"
Sarah: "When you cross the boundary in, and out it is… Overwhelming (but it's pretty nice inside)"
Sarah: "The trip shouldn't be so long as you'd even hear it but, no guesses"
Sarah nods at Gavriel "If I can even mode it"
Jnezdie: "Interesting."
Argent: "Anyway, we're wasting time here and we're still being pursued. Let's just go and try to manage this. Avoid detection if possible."
Jnezdie: "Okay! We'll give you cover, then."
Gavriel: "Hn." This was certainly presented as a fait accompli on the way here, but… "We've got your back."
JayM: Argent: Probably, if you just run through and barrel past everything, you can get close enough and get a good deal of time to fiddle with it if you give some cover fire. As long as Sarah doesn't takes far too long
JayM: You could also attempt to sneak around as close as possible before that to buy extra time
JayM: So let's call this either an Animal Handling [TN 5] to run on birds or Stealth [TN 5] to sneak by
Argent is going to go the stealth route this time; Gav's good at this as well, and can probably back everyone else up [Trick(Scoundrel)]
Jnezdie: "(Okay, Boco! Chill here, we'll be right back.)"
Jnezdie is not actually good at sneaking, however. [No Reels]
Gavriel guides the others; the Ethereal workers may be strong, but their operational security isn't the greatest. [Trick, Weighted, Lucky, Finesse]
Jack‘ rolled 2d6 and got 4, 6 ( Total: 10 )
d12: 3 [Total: 3 (Low), Avg: 3.00]
Also rolled 2#2d8(1) and got 7, 7 [Total: 14 (High), Avg: 7.00]
Also rolled 2#2d8(2) and got 1, 6 [Total: 7 (Low), Avg: 3.50]
d8: 4 [Total: 4 (Low), Avg: 4.00]
Sarah grabs Gavriel’s hand, rather suddenly. She smiles at him and he suddenly sees- Her entire body becomes transparent "It's infernally hot while I do this so- Be quick, please" . Her reel ability does not applies :D
Total: 38, Avg: 4.75**
Gavriel boggles, but- doesn't let that distract him from mapping a path through where they won't be seen!
You move through unseen for a moment, getting almost halfway through before anyone even thinks you're there, but when you're about almost there you're spotted! It's not like you've had any chance of NOT being spotted at this time, the area where you need to go is as open as a plain. Sarah lets go of Gavriel and rushes to the controls, returning to sight, at this very same moment, there
JayM: are yells from the workers, people look at you- One of the first shouts is "A Varg!" , at least repeated four times before someone goes "Intruders!"
Jnezdie: "Oops!"
Jack‘ waves. "Just passing through, gents!"
Sarah is prodding the panel, but it doesn’t seems to respond, and- She seems to be having a hard time keeping focus, but- After a while and application of some percussive maitenance (which would have left a neat bruise on her right foot if she didn't have scales), the controls respond… There is the horrible sound of grinding gears that haven't been oiled in millenia
Gavriel smiles and waves. "That's right, I'm a Varg! Tomorrow, we'll do colours!" Anything to keep their attention off their little infiltrator…
Argent eyerolls
Argent cracks her knuckles, waiting for the moment that Sarah will say it's okay to go through.
And then there is a loud noise of… Electricity, and you hear the strike of thunder, although it remains within the clouds. Sarah looks up "What… Grr" she shakes her head heavily, and the 'image' within the hole vanishes.
Jnezdie: "And we've got… SWORDS! OOOOOoooOoOOOoOoOoooOoooo! Cower in fear of the edge weapo-" He waves Ragnarok towards them.
A few painful moments of wait… And a different 'image' reappears "Jump!"
Jack: "Honestly you'd be better off going back to work, we'll be gone in a moment!"
Argent: "Good, couldn't wait to get the hell out of here!" And Argent does indeed jump through first
Gavriel ducks and rolls towards the image! "Take care!"
Jnezdie: "Right!" He hauls ass towards the hole!
Argent …in fact, didn't bother to look before the jump
Argent jumps- It's strange to jump towards the sky… And suddenly- A horrible, terrible sound like a demonic screech and the warbling of bugs all taken to the highest pitch, far louder than reality would normally allow. It hurts your ears to listen to it- Although some part deep, deep within your mind can't help but try to graps at it's… Deepest, core beat and rythm but- It lasts only
JayM: a moment before you falls down, directly on the ground near the exit point
Argent: "Kggghhhh…" Argent's still cringing from the sonic assault as she impacts with the ground
Jnezdie lept!
[OOC] Jnezdie: leaps w/e
Gavriel jumps- For a faint moment, just the tiniest, SMALLEST moment… When you're crossing through the hole… You see… It's a tunnel… A tunnell whose walls are made of an infinite multitude of colors. And the tunnel stretches infinitely towards where you are going and where you are coming from. Yet, you're unsure wether that was dream of real as you quickly comes out of the exit,
JayM: and with the nimbleness of a cat lands on your feet- That strangest feeling of the gravity shifting- And the even stranger feeling that somehow your instincts were apt to respond to that
Jack and Jnezdie are next- For them, the trip is precisely uneventful, in one place, and through the hole into another. Mind, neither of them has the reflexes to properly adjust to gravity shift, and end up falling, but even so
Argent had the presence of mind to move out of there before she got landed on by one of the others
Jnezdie: "Oof-!" He blinks a few times and shakes his head, reorienting himself!
Gavriel lands on his feet, doing a bit of a half-flip in the process- extends a hand to help Jack and Jnezdie up, a curious expression on his face- then looks around, to see where they've ended up!
Sarah is the last one to jump through, a blizzard spell following close by, misses her by a wide mile, but grazes just past Jack, and when you finally look at where you came from- You realize there is no exit hole, in fact there never was
JayM: You don't know the area at all, although you're on a road
Jack‘ gets up with help, then dusts himself off.
Gavriel: "Magnificent, Sarah."
Sarah, surprisingly, lands on her feet. Her knees don’t hold her weight, however, and and topples "T-thanks…"
Argent: "…right, now where the hell are we?" Argent asks, looking around
Jnezdie stands up, trying not to fall back in the hol… huh. He looks around a bit, and tests the 'ground' where they fell through… solid.
JayM: Perfectly solid
JayM: It's one-way, Jnezdie
Jnezdie: "…huh."
Jnezdie: "Well don't that just beat all.
Gavriel: "…Sarah, why did it feel like I was used to that?" He scratches the back of his neck, stretches out a bit- looks around. Climate? Trees, animal life, plants he might recognise to get a bead on their general location? Landmarks?
JayM: Hrm- Just- You're not too far north, a good ways west
Jnezdie: "One heckva' way to get around. Sad we had to leave the 'bos, though."
Sarah: "… Tempestarian Varg combat instincts. I think, it's a theory."
Still in the Ethereal Kingdom, though?
JayM: Yes
Jnezdie: "Uh. Machines."
Argent: "…doesn't look like they'll find us now, anyway."
Gavriel shrugs at Sarah. "If it means I didn't go arse over teakettle, I'm not going to complain."
Sarah: "Ahaha. I'm hoping we will understand better everything once we reach Phoenix's Grave"
Sarah: "I'm… I'm actually going there because i'm trying to make sense of your world"
Jnezdie: "Make that two of us."
Argent: "…right. Phoenix's Grave it is then."
Sarah: "I tried to put us as close to the western shore as I could move the exit point"
Gavriel: "It's… just a question of getting there, then. Think you could find it on a map, Jack?" He scratches his head, glancing to Sarah. "What… makes you think you'll find your answers there, by the way? What… -is- it, really?"
Jack: "Eh? No, it's off the coast."
Sarah takes a deep breath "I'm… Hoping to meet with Phoenix"
Jnezdie: "Guess it's -not- under Transient Town."
Jack: "Haha, no."
Argent: "Saves me the frustration at least."
JayM: Jack could give a perfect pinpoint position in the ocean- IF there was a map with coordinates he could relate to the ones he got. However, on about any map he can pinpoint a general direction of where the island should be
Sarah: "Whatever… Whoever Phoenix is, should be there"
Gavriel: "If it were, after all this time, I think I would begin flipping furniture." He grins halfway. "…still want to visit, I think, when this is all said and done. If… that's okay." He turns to Sarah, raising an eyebrow. "And.. you think Phoenix, whatever it is, will be willing to give you the time of day?"
Jnezdie: "Aw, you're totally invited, Gav."
Sarah takes a deep breath
Gavriel: "I mean, even if you ask someone from the Material Kingdoms, Phoenix is…" -he gesticulates.
Sarah: "It will come off as strange, but"
Sarah: "Phoenix, if my guess is right, is as much a goddess, as she is a slave"
Sarah: "She won't deny us anything, unless it threatens your world as a whole"
Argent: "…She?"
Sarah: "Well- You refer to her as a she, right?"
Sarah: "(Plus it just feels weird to not use a gender noun in my language)"
Gavriel tilts his head to the side, peers. Somehow that doesn't sit well with him, but- "-okay. Let's find our island, then."
Jack: "Yes, we do. Argent is not the most cultered of folk."
Argent: "You overvalue culture for its own sake."
Sarah stands up again "Alright, then… We move!"
Jnezdie: "Here we go!" He pumps his fists!
JayM: That about, ends the session!
Sarah: . o O (Am I going too fast? … I wonder- I better prepare some interaction protocols, if this is awkward for me, Phoenix might just commit the worst faux pas ever…)
[OOC] JayM: Session End

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License